Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited April 2016 in General

imageUndefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Better together
  • Options
    Zac should have said Sholay
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn has come under renewed pressure as new details emerged about Labour’s failure to tackle anti-Semitism in its ranks.

A dossier compiled by The Telegraph includes a series of disturbing examples of anti-Semitic attitudes among party activists and leading members.

It follows the suspension from the party last week of Ken Livingstone, the former Mayor of London, and of Naz Shah, Labour MP for Bradford West, for making anti-Semitic comments.

Labour has announced an independent inquiry into anti-Semitism and other forms of racism within the party.

But Mr Livingstone, who was suspended after saying that Hitler supported Zionism “before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews”, yesterday refused to withdraw his statements and claimed the Israeli Prime Minister agreed with him.

Our dossier reveals that:

 A London Labour council leader shared a Facebook post comparing the “terrorist state of Israel” to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil). He apologised and deleted it last night;

 Mr Corbyn questioned why an anti-Semitic mural in east London should be taken down;

The Labour leader also attended events run by self-confessed Holocaust denier Paul Eisen long after his views had become clear, and

A Labour council candidate used the derogatory term “Zios” to refer to Jews.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/30/pressure-grows-on-jeremy-corbyn-as-dossier-of-anti-semitism-in-l/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2016

Zac should have said he had seen bits & pieces of bollywood films & look like fun but no expert...idiot...just be honest.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited April 2016
    tyson said:

As a Labour man I can see that Corbyn is a complete notright- personally combining an unholy alliance of principled superiority, a humour and charm bypass and lack lack of intelligence and insight. Farron...we can disregard because he is just hopeless.

But Cameron...I really don't get it. Why does he allow these mistakes to be made? The Lansley reforms, the big society nonsense, junior doctors, academies, disability cuts, the BBC. His judgement is just terrible.

tyson said:

It is hard to say which is worse...the loonies at the helm of the Labour party or the Tory party drifting into blundering chaos by tinkering around with those institutions of the state that the public hold in such high esteem?

Why are the Tories determined to tinker around with the BBC, health, schools at such political cost? I just don't get it.

Bonkers headline on front of MoS, claims bbc being banned from showing strictly on Saturday...surely that can't be true. If it is wittingdale really has lost his marbles.

The Sunday Times has the story too.

Basically it is to stop BBC ruining ITV's ratings on Saturdays, such as scheduling Strictly up against X Factor.

As a Strictly fan, worraknob Whittingdale is.
    That's just idiotic & I am not fan of the current bbc funding model etc.

There are loads of reforms they could make, but then we also have the Tories with their stupid schools policy.
    Jonathan made the comment the other day that quality of current politicians is very poor & I totally agree.
    Just not good at detail I suspect.

On Zac, well, I guess the best that can be said is it won't affect the outcome. Khan is no great candidate, but seems more substantive, true or not, and the 'association with extremists' stuff isn't working - if there was a smoking gun it surely would have been played by now, since as it is, the drip feed stuff would mean yet another revelation would just be dismissed even if it was more substantial.

The fact he seems able to be supported by Corbynites and more moderate members, not easy thesedays, is surely a point in his favour in terms of management (whether he would be a good mayor or not I have no idea).
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Zac should have said he had seen bits & pieces of bollywood films & look like fun but no expert...idiot...just be honest.
    What a load of fuss about nothing. T'will make sfa difference to the result.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    So if Scotland left UK, rest of UK would leave EU. I absolutely knew we should have let the Jocks go.
  • Options
    Zac is such an honest man, he was just being himself. He is a good lad.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    Perfect outcome for UKIP if it happens. I always thought there was a chance Wales could turn out to be more Eurosceptic than England.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    edited April 2016
    Zac should have said he loves a good Bolly and Stoly.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

So if Scotland left UK, rest of UK would leave EU. I absolutely knew we should have let the Jocks go.

Personally, I would rather stay in the EU if it guaranteed the Scots staying in the UK. As it is, I'm pessimistic about them sticking with the UK even if the vote is for Remain, so I'm more comfortable voting Leave like I want - hopefully they won't skiddadle.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    That would be fun.

Our leaders would heave a sigh of relief & rejoice at that Remain vote.

(Why does vanilla have every thread header lately as Undefined discussion subject?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Well, it looks like this increasingly inept government is determined to test to destruction the idea that there is nothing it can do to make it unpopular enough to lose power. That Whittingdale Strictly plan is utterly ridiculous. What on earth is he thinking? Maybe his brain has been extra-curricularly befuddled.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    edited April 2016
    FPT:-

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes
    Anyway, the people of London will make their choice in 5 days...

I am optimistic for the future of London, unlike you...

I know that may not resonate with the majority on this right-wing blog but that is what me and a significant number of Londoners believe.

"The last time we had a Labour Mayor he invited to London - to wonderful multi-cultural London - home to me and my truly multi-cultural diverse family - and praised a man who thought suicide bombing, beating of women, the killing of gays and the murder of Jews were acceptable. He held this man up as a "moderate", FFS!

Sometimes having a glass half-empty approach to the prospect of a Labour Mayor may be a reasonable one. I would like to be proved wrong but nothing in Khan's career thus far shows him to be a politician of good judgment and courage."
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Well, it looks like this increasingly inept government is determined to test to destruction the idea that there is nothing it can do to make it unpopular enough to lose power. That Whittingdale Strictly plan is utterly ridiculous. What on earth is he thinking? Maybe his brain has been extra-curricularly befuddled.

I believe the assumption thesedays is any ridiculous stupid thing that happens is surely an attempt at a dead cat strategy to distract from something else, but when there's so many of the damn things I think that is optimistic, and either they really are just crap, or else they fail to realise that the fourth or fifth time you throw a dead cat down on the table, people will stop reacting as you want, since even that has become expected, as they trade banal talk about the EU in the context of dead cat stench, that is to say, with the background of the government being crap.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

I know that may not resonate with the majority on this right-wing blog but that is what me and a significant number of Londoners believe.

"The last time we had a Labour Mayor he invited to London - to wonderful multi-cultural London - home to me and my truly multi-cultural diverse family - and praised a man who thought suicide bombing, beating of women, the killing of gays and the murder of Jews were acceptable. He held this man up as a "moderate", FFS!

Sometimes having a glass half-empty approach to the prospect of a Labour Mayor may be a reasonable one. I would like to be proved wrong but nothing in Khan's career thus far shows him to be a politician of good judgment and courage."

Khan's majority in a heavily Muslim area is now tiny. He evens splits his own religion! Not many people manage that. Here's another point; have you seen any current Labour Assembly Members out on the stump with Khan or tweeting positively about him? No, you haven't. They utterly despise him. He has gone to City Hall and told them he is the boss and they better listen. Khan is hated within the party. And he will be hated by Londoners.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

As a Labour man I can see that Corbyn is a complete notright- personally combining an unholy alliance of principled superiority, a humour and charm bypass and lack lack of intelligence and insight. Farron...we can disregard because he is just hopeless.

But Cameron...I really don't get it. Why does he allow these mistakes to be made? The Lansley reforms, the big society nonsense, junior doctors, academies, disability cuts, the BBC. His judgement is just terrible.

tyson said:

It is hard to say which is worse...the loonies at the helm of the Labour party or the Tory party drifting into blundering chaos by tinkering around with those institutions of the state that the public hold in such high esteem?

Why are the Tories determined to tinker around with the BBC, health, schools at such political cost? I just don't get it.

Bonkers headline on front of MoS, claims bbc being banned from showing strictly on Saturday...surely that can't be true. If it is wittingdale really has lost his marbles.

Basically it is to stop BBC ruining ITV's ratings on Saturdays, such as scheduling Strictly up against X Factor.

There are loads of reforms they could make, but then we also have the Tories with their stupid schools policy.
    Jonathan made the comment the other day that quality of current politicians is very poor & I totally agree.

On Zac, well, I guess the best that can be said is it won't affect the outcome. Khan is no great candidate, but seems more substantive, true or not, and the 'association with extremists' stuff isn't working - if there was a smoking gun it surely would have been played by now, since as it is, the drip feed stuff would mean yet another revelation would just be dismissed even if it was more substantial.

The fact he seems able to be supported by Corbynites and more moderate members, not easy thesedays, is surely a point in his favour in terms of management (whether he would be a good mayor or not I have no idea).
    The relevance of his past associates is not that it makes him an extremist but what it tells you about his capacity and willingness and courage and judgment to do what he has promised I.e. take on Islamist extremists. If he could not see the problem with associating with those people, if he failed to challenge them then, why should we believe him when he says he will do this now?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2016
    FPT
    Dixie said:

murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Evening all: am now back after my unexpected adventure in the New York Presbyterian Hospital. I was upgraded to First Class BA which was really most enjoyable!

That Nick Cohen article is outstanding. That this is the state of Britush politics in 2016 is not surprising but very depressing.

Khan has a chance to tell Londoners now exactly how he is going to take on Islamust extremists. What will he do?

Will he, for instance:-

- ensure that no taxpayers' money is given to mosques or other organisations which host hate preachers (for instance, the East London mosque);
    - ensure that extremists are not given permission to speak on Mayoral-owned or controlled premises;
    - ensure that no extremists or persons associated with them are given any sort of role (employee, advisor, consultant) in his administration;
    - take action to challenge illiberal views by speaking to organisations, schools and others and by publicly challenging community leaders when they come out with extremist statements;
    - pushing back against those universities and other educational establishments which permit intimidation and gender segregation by Islamist student societies;
    - encouraging Muslims to report those possibly involved with terrorists or prone to radicalisation to the Prevent programme and/or the police;

Etc etc.

I am sure PB'ers can think of others.

But the important thing for Khan to show is that he has actions in mind - if we are to believe that his "I'm the Muslim to take on extremists" shtick is something more than just a slogan - and that these amount to confronting the Muslim community and not just simply expressing sympathy for and solidarity with the Jewish community.

Let's hope so, eh?

Let's hope that the foreboding expressed in Daniel Johnson's article in the latest edition of Standpoint about London's future will not be borne out.

Khan will do the opposite. He will build his power base and try to ruin London.
    Ofc a Tory like you would say that.

I say the opposite - Khan will be unifying factor in multi-cultural London.
    Khan's majority in a heavily Muslim area is now tiny. He evens splits his own religion! Not many people manage that. Here's another point; have you seen any current Labour Assembly Members out on the stump with Khan or tweeting positively about him? No, you haven't. They utterly despise him. He has gone to City Hall and told them he is the boss and they better listen. Khan is hated within the party. And he will be hated by Londoners.
    I thought that the Asian population in Tooting was mostly Tamil and Sinhalese rather than Muslim.

I don't think that Khan is hated by Labour members. They chose him just last year in selection meetings.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

If you say so. I don't know London, but I do know plenty of people on here who are otherwise die hard Tories are unenthusiastic about Zac though.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

Zac only knows decent people. He has no axe to grind, no politics to play. He will be a safe pair of hands. Khan is utterly immature. If he talks to me the way he talks to the Press, If our paths cross, I will struggle not to slap him.
  • Options
    No wonder the BBC, (and I presume many on the Labour left) like(s) John le Carre:

Le Carré’s post-Cold-War politics are best described as more Pilgerish than Pilger. Connoisseurs of his public statements can tick every space on the bingo card. Le Carré believes that corporations brainwash the bovine masses (check) on behalf of the imperial American hegemon (check) which is itself controlled by a conspiracy of right-wingers (check) who are pulling our puppet strings at the behest of — guess who? — the Jews (full house!). Or as le Carré explained, the neoconservatives are “appointing the state of Israel as the purpose of all Middle Eastern and practically all global policy”.

http://standpointmag.co.uk/screen-april-2016-nick-cohen-the-night-manager-john-le-carre-bbc
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scotland seems to be drifting to Leave. Ulterior motives and all that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I believe the assumption thesedays is any ridiculous stupid thing that happens is surely an attempt at a dead cat strategy to distract from something else, but when there's so many of the damn things I think that is optimistic, and either they really are just crap, or else they fail to realise that the fourth or fifth time you throw a dead cat down on the table, people will stop reacting as you want, since even that has become expected, as they trade banal talk about the EU in the context of dead cat stench, that is to say, with the background of the government being crap.
    As it is Whittingdale who is proposing it no doubt it will get a glowing endorsement from the express, mail and sun as he is for Brexit and cannot be criticised
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited April 2016
    Hmmm, we live in the era of on demand, PVR, and Netflix.

The BBC will be barred from showing Strictly Come Dancing in a prime Saturday night slot under tough new rules planned by embattled Culture Secretary John Whittingdale.

The Minister is poised to tell the BBC they must stop screening their most popular shows at the same time as hit programmes on ITV – spelling an end to the traditional Saturday night ratings war between light entertainment shows such as Strictly and ITV’s X Factor.

The clampdown would also force the BBC to stop showing top-rated dramas such as Poldark and The Night Manager on Sunday evenings if that meant going head-to-head with major ITV dramas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3567477/BBC-faces-charter-ban-Saturday-Strictly-New-plans-stop-Corporation-entering-primetime-ratings-wars-ITV.html
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

On Zac, well, no idea).
    The relevance of his past associates is not that it makes him an extremist but what it tells you about his capacity and willingness and courage and judgment to do what he has promised I.e. take on Islamist extremists. If he could not see the problem with associating with those people, if he failed to challenge them then, why should we believe him when he says he will do this now?

I understand the relevance, and what I've read concerns me a little. My contention, however, is that that the focus on it has not worked, so either there's not enough there to sway enough people who might be concerned, or people don't care.

That might well be a mistake of them not to, but Zac is facing what may be an embarrasingly big loss unless he really outperforms expectations, even factoring in it is a city favourable to Labour as a brand.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited April 2016

Hmmm

The BBC will be barred from showing Strictly Come Dancing in a prime Saturday night slot under tough new rules planned by embattled Culture Secretary John Whittingdale.

The Minister is poised to tell the BBC they must stop screening their most popular shows at the same time as hit programmes on ITV – spelling an end to the traditional Saturday night ratings war between light entertainment shows such as Strictly and ITV’s X Factor.

The clampdown would also force the BBC to stop showing top-rated dramas such as Poldark and The Night Manager on Sunday evenings if that meant going head-to-head with major ITV dramas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3567477/BBC-faces-charter-ban-Saturday-Strictly-New-plans-stop-Corporation-entering-primetime-ratings-wars-ITV.html

LOL! Haven't they got anything else to worry about?

How would this be enforceable in any way?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Zac should have given the answer 'Jackie Milburn'.
  • Options
    Mess with Strictly and I'm voting Labour.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Hmmm

What happens if a former hit ITV show has ratings dips - would it become fair game to go up against?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2016
    I'm just wondering:

Does POLLS = SL(L)OP
  • Options

I am not a fan of either so am not very bothered, but in the era of smart TV and digital recorders, what is the issue with programmes clashing?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    My dad reckons the conflict with the junior doctors is about destroying the NHS and making the public think the doctors were to blame. I'm not sure about that, but I am now of the opinion that the Tories want to destroy the BBC and have the public blame the BBC themselves for it.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    GIN1138 said:

Hmmm

In terms of drama, I am not sure it would really matter - as On Demand services are now so prevalent when it comes to people choosing what to watch and when.

Yes, it does affect live shows - particularly with an audience participation element such as voting.

Should the BBC be using public money to chase ratings? Probably not.

Is this the right way to prevent it? Almost certainly not.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmmm

What happens if a former hit ITV show has ratings dips - would it become fair game to go up against?
    Indeed. How would the BBC even know if one of their shows was going up against a "major drama" on ITV? How do you even define what a "major drama" is?
  • Options

I am not a fan of either so am not very bothered, but in the era of smart TV and digital recorders, what is the issue with programmes clashing?
    ITV needs the advertising revenues. Fewer clashes means greater advertising revenues.
  • Options
    On topic: If England and Wales votes OUT I think it's highly unlikely Scotland will be able to prevent OUT from winning.
  • Options

Peak X Factor occurred in 2010. Since then the ratings have steadily declined as the public have become wise to the tricks of producers - which incidentally include using the overlap to throw unfavoured acts under the Strictly bus.
  • Options

ITV needs the advertising revenues. Fewer clashes means greater advertising revenues.
    So all BBC dramas need to be aired at 2am - ITV may not have major shows every slot before then, but they still need the advertising revenue, and can probably take the hit at 2am.

Personally apart from sport I rarely watch anything live in any case.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046

Its an idea which would have merit pre video recorder.

There were some agreements so that scheduling clashes didn't happen. Which is why Coronation Street was on Monday and Wednesday and Eastenders on Tuesday and Thursday. Likewise MotD was on Saturday nights while ITV's football program was on a Sunday lunchtime.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

My dad reckons the conflict with the junior doctors is about destroying the NHS and making the public think the doctors were to blame. I'm not sure about that, but I am now of the opinion that the Tories want to destroy the BBC and have the public blame the BBC themselves for it.

On some of the medical sites, that is a common view: Hunt wants the NHS to callapse and the blame to be put on the medical profession, so that it can be privatised. I do not subscribe to that view. I think Hunt is merely arrogant and incompetent.

The staffing crisis coming this autumn looks pretty grim. There are loads of vacancies and the recruitment round is over.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

If you say so. I don't know London, but I do know plenty of people on here who are otherwise die hard Tories are unenthusiastic about Zac though.
    That's true. But only a minority vote versus majority in GE. He has up hill battle.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So all BBC dramas need to be aired at 2am - ITV may not have major shows every slot before then, but they still need the advertising revenue, and can probably take the hit at 2am.

I hope it is a negotiating tactic to get the BBC to agree with what Whittingdale on something else.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If the BBC want to compete on commercial terms, let them play the market and abolish the TV Tax.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

On Zac, well, no idea).

I understand the relevance, and what I've read concerns me a little. My contention, however, is that that the focus on it has not worked, so either there's not enough there to sway enough people who might be concerned, or people don't care.

That might well be a mistake of them not to, but Zac is facing what may be an embarrasingly big loss unless he really outperforms expectations, even factoring in it is a city favourable to Labour as a brand.
    A third possibility: Zac was not a good enough candidate to make this argument i.e. one about Khan's judgment (rather than his Muslimness or alleged extremism) well enough and it is now too late.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

Zac only knows decent people. He has no axe to grind, no politics to play. He will be a safe pair of hands. Khan is utterly immature. If he talks to me the way he talks to the Press, If our paths cross, I will struggle not to slap him.
    A decent person? The man is an adulterer!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

The Brownies don't do a badge for Zac ramping, but if they did..
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Schedule conflicts creates competition creates better TV.

Mad policy. Will damage Itv.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

What competition is there for a business funded by a compulsory TV tax?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

If the BBC want to compete on commercial terms, let them play the market and abolish the TV Tax.
    It's not up to them to abolish it, surely. If the government wants to have the BBC compete purely on commercial terms, they can make them do so, but this sort of thing just looks like a petty thing to be moaning about.
  • Options
    This is a compelling frame of snooker.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    AndyJS said:

Perfect outcome for UKIP if it happens. I always thought there was a chance Wales could turn out to be more Eurosceptic than England.

Port Talbot Steelworks isn't helping - The Welsh now know the EU will not help the hard workers in heavy industry.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I'd happily see the government abolish the TV tax. Provide a taxpayer subsidy for it's true public service remit and then make it self fund through either advertising or subscription for it's more commercial/generic output.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    hmm has Opinium had a methodology change since 2015? A very good Tory lead maybe Zac could win after all eventhough Tories under preform Labour there. notme might be right.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

Slap him if you must but the people of our great city will make their choice.

Sadiq to win by 20 on Thursday...

• Options
    On the other hand it does clear the Saturday night for repeats of 1981 TOTP, Portillo's railway journeys and repeats of old GE coverage. Perhaps even OGH and Kieren discussing poll weighting and AV.

It's an ill wind that blows no good.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Wishful thinking.

• Options
    chestnut said:

Jonathan said:

Relax! The BBC works. People love it. Job done. End of.

Right-wing nutters (and by Jove there are many on this blog - lol) who don't the BBC can f*ck off!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Mess with Strictly and I'm voting Labour.

They're picking a fight that doesn't need fightig. and they can't win for little or no gain, why. ffs.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I'd happily see the government abolish the TV tax. Provide a taxpayer subsidy for it's true public service remit and then make it self fund through either advertising or subscription for it's more commercial/generic output.

I agree with that, but what I don't like is that Whittingdale is forcing the BBC to do things that will generate ill feeling towards the corporation.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited April 2016
    tlg86 said:

chestnut said:

I agree with that, but what I don't like is that Whittingdale is forcing the BBC to do things that will generate ill feeling towards the corporation.
    The BBC needs to get its shit together and get a +1 service for starters. End of most scheduling conflicts....
  • Options
    I am far from convinced that people are still loyal to particular broadcast channels. My housemate is a classic case, she has shows she likes to watch but has little or know idea as to what channel they are on. She watches via catch-up services and so no longer has a clear idea as to what is on when and where.

She is far from alone from consuming television in this way - and those numbers are only going to grow
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    murali_s said:

chestnut said:

Jonathan said:

Relax! The BBC works. People love it.
    The former statement does not follow from the latter.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

murali_s said:

Wishful thinking.

Are there any markets up on the scale of Khan's inevitable triumph?

It does look like the only light in the Labour gloom for next week. I do not think that it will benefit Jezza though.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Surely, if the figures in the Opinium poll are correct, SNP should be arguing for Scots to not vote, so that Leave wins and they get their second referendum and hence independence?

Am I missing something? Maybe SNP not wanting independence at this time?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

I think the only question is whether zac can avoid embarrassment levels of support. He might be able to manage it, but we'll see.

Good night.
  • Options

This is a compelling frame of snooker.

Selby hasn't been very jester-like with a couple of tantrums in this session...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

I think the only question is whether zac can avoid embarrassment levels of support. He might be able to manage it, but we'll see.

Good night.
    Actually, the other question is where will the LDs finish?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

Good night.
    Zac's very lucky that Winston McKenzie isn't on the ballot paper, otherwise Zac would be finishing third.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:
    » show previous quotes

Good night.
    Actually, the other question is where will the LDs finish?
    Don't you mean Caroline Pidgeon's London Liberal Democrats? :D
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MTimT said:

Surely, if the figures in the Opinium poll are correct, SNP should be arguing for Scots to not vote, so that Leave wins and they get their second referendum and hence independence?

Wouldn't not voting risk leave winning in Scotland too, and so removing leaving as a justification for an IndyRef? Granted it's not close in Scotland, but best not risk it. There will always be another chance.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

If Scotland fails to vote Remain, then the justification for Sindyref2 goes.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Why is the Tory tw*t Whittingdale trying to wreck our BBC?

He needs to spend more time on dating his 'type' of women and leave the BBC well alone!

Tw*t!
  • Options
    edited April 2016

MTimT said:

Quite, but I'm sure there will be some Nats who will calculate that it doesn't matter by how much Scotland votes to remain so long as it does and therefore decide to vote leave to help the UK as a whole vote to leave.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MTimT said:

Quite, but I'm sure there will be some Nats who will calculate that it doesn't matter by how much Scotland votes to Remain so long as it does and therefore decide to vote leave to help the UK as a whole vote to leave.
    Though voting to Remain and destroying the Tory party in England must be attractive too.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

He needs to spend more time on dating his 'type' of women and leave the BBC well alone!

Tw*t!

You seem to be a little tired and emotional. Better go sleep it off.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Given the disparity of population between England plus Wales vs Scotland, Scotland can still vote Remain but at a lower turnout, and thus change the overall result from Remain to Leave.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Given the disparity of population between England plus Wales vs Scotland, Scotland can still vote Remain but at a lower turnout, and thus change the overall result from Remain to Leave.
    Its not going to happen.

Turnout in Scotland and NI will be higher than the UK average.
  • Options
    I see wenger is about a popular with the fans as Cameron is with the membership...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MTimT said:

Wouldn't not voting risk leave winning in Scotland too, and so removing leaving as a justification for an IndyRef? Granted it's not close in Scotland, but best not risk it. There will always be another chance.
    An alternative logic could be for the SNP to call for their followers to boycott the referendum on the grounds that they should be independent and record Scotland's position on the EU separately, as opposed to being a small voice within the overall UK vote.

That way, it doesn't matter if those who vote in Scotland vote remain or leave, as the SNP could assert "Well, we all know SNP polls 50% in Scotland and all our supporters are for staying in the EU, so if we hadn't boycotted the Sassenach referendum, obviously Scotland would have voted to remain."

But with North Sea net oil tax revenues a paltry $35 million in 2015, I could see why they might not want to force the issue of independence at this time.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    murali_s said:

Tw*t!

I am really really looking forward to the BBC's demise.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Tim Shipman
    Senior Cameron aide asked rebels at Tory away day if moving Osborne would "save PM" in the event of a Brexit vote. See Sunday Times
  • Options

I see wenger is about a popular with the fans as Cameron is with the membership...

There seemed to be quite a lot of support for Wenger in the stadium today. I certainly don't want Wenger to be given another contract, but I'm not happy to see so called supporters doing anything other than supporting the team during the game.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    murali_s said:

Tw*t!

Yes a bbc that has sat on 788 790 Finchley Road for 14 months, lied through the back teeth about climate change and covered up child abuse at every turn. Some record that!
  • Options

Tim Shipman
    Senior Cameron aide asked rebels at Tory away day if moving Osborne would "save PM" in the event of a Brexit vote. See Sunday Times

Ooh dear! If you're that worried about the situation, far better to keep your clap shut than to let the entire world know.

Blood in the water, watch out for sharks!
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

If the bbc was a private company it would have been bankrupt a long time ago
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    tlg86 said:

There seemed to be quite a lot of support for Wenger in the stadium today. I certainly don't want Wenger to be given another contract, but I'm not happy to see so called supporters doing anything other than supporting the team during the game.
    Makes my analogy with Cameron spot on :-)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Not looking good for Labour in the papers.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Tim Shipman

If Cameron's inner circle are truly asking around about Osborne then he is not long for this world.
  • Options

Not looking good for Labour in the papers.

That should come as a surprise to no-one. This is a story that has enough legs to run for a while yet.

Even without any new revelations, Ken is bound to say something else stupid tomorrow
  • Options
    Suits me. My bet would come in nicely.

@ShippersUnbound

Sceptics telling Downing Street that they want Gove to be chancellor
    11:10pm - 30 Apr 16
  • Options

Tim Shipman

If Cameron's inner circle are truly asking around about Osborne then he is not long for this world.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his life.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited April 2016

@ShippersUnbound

Is typical, the morning thread is about lauding the political genius of George Osborne (no really it is)
  • Options
    Osborne couldn't really go to the backbenches - so where would he accept? FCO - what do you do with Hammond? Home Office - Mrs May wouldn't give that up without a fight.

Very tricky
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :wink:

Tim Shipman
    Tory whip has also been asking Eurosceptics whether moving Osborne to foreign sex would help calm civil war.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

Oh dear God. I can see the scene in DCMS:

"I need a policy, one that will make the papers, one that will be associated with me and not be about dating lines, one that will light me career in neon, and I need it now."

"well, we do have something, although its a bit, well bat people."

"Go on"

"We could block the BBC from showing Strictly at same time as X-Factor"

"Brilliant. My career is saved."

Pathetic. No wonder 'Thick of It' guys gave up on writing new episodes.
  • Options
    Rallings & Thrasher alert

Labour’s task is put into sharp relief by the latest Sunday Times survey of local government by-election results. This shows Labour on 30%, down nine points compared with four years ago. The Tories have a national equivalent vote share of 31%, down two points. The Lib Dems continue to perform better at real elections than in the polls with a rating of 16%. Ukip is on 12% — equivalent to its performance at last year’s general election, but a long way short of their 2013-14 surge.

If those figures are reflected in the actual votes cast, Labour could lose about 150 seats in the English local elections, with each of its opponents making modest gains. It would mean Labour is stuck far below any level necessary for it to mount a convincing challenge at the 2020 general election.

However, with only a third of seats falling vacant in most councils, the scope for dramatic changes in political control is limited.
  • Options

Tim Shipman

Osborne may have sanctioned this. He's a clever man. Plus it has the massive advantage of him not being at the Treasury when the deficit figures in 2019/20 don't hit target and/or we are in the middle of another recession.
  • Options

Tim Shipman

If he did that, and he was serious about respecting a Brexit vote and putting Gove in charge of negotiations, then I would support Cameron continuing as PM.
  • Options

@ShippersUnbound

Is typical, the morning thread is about lauding the political genius of George Osborne (no really it is)
    I think he's finished.
This discussion has been closed.