Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited May 2016 in General

imageUndefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    FPT:

Captain America Civil War. The greatest superhero movie of our time IMO. Better than TDK, Batman Returns and Spider-Man 2. The way it all comes together, the story line, the action, the acting, the writing, juggling such a big cast, everything about it is truly excellent. Colour me very impressed by this, and I say that as someone who has been left cold by pretty much all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe output other than Winter Soldier and the first Iron Man.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

Captain America Civil War. The greatest superhero movie of our time IMO. Better than TDK, Batman Returns and Spider-Man 2. The way it all comes together, the story line, the action, the acting, the writing, juggling such a big cast, everything about it is truly excellent. Colour me very impressed by this, and I say that as someone who has been left cold by pretty much all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe output other than Winter Soldier and the first Iron Man.

How does it compare to Deadpool?
  • Options
    On topic, Osborne is going to have to take a demotion in the event of Brexit, he will probably only be able to move sideways in the event of Remain.

I still think Dave will manage to stick it out if we do Leave, however, Osborne is going to have to take the fall since it was his idea to offer the referendum, and it was his piss poor renegotiation timetable and plan which has shackled the PM to a deal that no one (not even him by the looks of it) wants.
  • Options
    I think forcing Osborne to become a foreign sex worker would indeed go a long way towards mollifying the disgruntled Eurosceptic core of the party.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Different kind of film, but this is better, I liked Deadpool as well though.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Gove will be the next Chancellor. That's the only way to reconcile Sam Cameron and Gove's wife. That is the basis for making appointments.

In bleak times for Labour, this has to count as good news. The Minister of Silly Walks as Chancellor !
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

The question was in jest, although I am well-jaded with all the 'serious' superhero movies. That's why I liked Deadpool so much.

So, for CACW, big screen or wait till I see it on a long haul?
  • Options
    Oh, and whoever is betting on Javid at 3/1 for chancellor needs their head examined, he would be in poll position as an ex City boy if he had come out for Leave, but by toadying up to Osborne he has been labelled a traitor by the Leave side and his terrible arguments for Remain haven't made him many friends there either AIUI.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I think forcing Osborne to become a foreign sex worker would indeed go a long way towards mollifying the disgruntled Eurosceptic core of the party.

An ISIS bride, perhaps?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

The question was in jest, although I am well-jaded with all the 'serious' superhero movies. That's why I liked Deadpool so much.

Cinema, definitely. I (half) saw it at a private screening in 3D a couple of weeks ago, but I had to leave after a while because it gave me motion sickness, the 2D version would be my recommendation.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Interesting analysis by Matthew Parris on the Leavers' state of mind.

Does being a Leave supporter implant in an individual the disposition to believe they are being cheated and bullied? Or does being the type of person disposed to feel cheated and bullied lead you to be a Leave supporter?

I suspect it’s the latter. If so, this article is just spitting into the wind, and what’s needed is not argument but psychotherapy.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/leave-campaigners-arent-being-disrespected-theyre-being-paranoid/

Personally, I wouldn't go as far to say that Leavers are in need of treatment, but there are certainly patterns of behaviour there that suggest sub-conscious drives.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Patrick said:

At least he'd be helping the economy in some way.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    The 4/1 on Gove looks good. The PM will have some serious reconciling of his party to do even if he wins the referendum, and the most senior Leave supporter to the right hand man could be a good way of doing it.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    surbiton said:

Gove will be the next Chancellor. That's the only way to reconcile Sam Cameron and Gove's wife. That is the basis for making appointments.

In bleak times for Labour, this has to count as good news. The Minister of Silly Walks as Chancellor !

In principle I agree, but of course Cameron's going to have to give the Chancellorship to someone on the Labour right in order to keep his emergency national unity coalition together after Leave wins by 4. Tristram, I assume, given his dedication to keeping right-wing Hunts in jobs.

Shame, really as Gove could be a good Chancellor judging by his performance at Justice - unlike education I don't think he claims to be an economic expert and as a result might continue his refreshing evidence-based approach.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    VFX on Deadpool are quite amazing, especially given its pretty small budget. You wouldn't believe that the opening sequence was 100% computer generated.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Cinema, definitely. I (half) saw it at a private screening in 3D a couple of weeks ago, but I had to leave after a while because it gave me motion sickness, the 2D version would be my recommendation.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited May 2016
    surbiton said:

In regards to Labour just about anything including a direct hit from a meteor would be good news at the moment.
  • Options
    I like Gove, but if Dave regarded him as toxic as education secretary then he sure as hell won't be mad enough to make him chancellor. As for the Leavers' view of things - who gives a flying fig? Labour is having its own problems with unelectable extremists. Dave won't want to emulate.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

As we have seen lately, definitions are important.

Does "foreign sex" mean:-

a. Strange sex i.e something you are unused to.
    b. Sex abroad.
    c. Sex with foreigners.
    d. Any combination of the above?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

t there are certainly patterns of behaviour there that suggest sub-conscious drives.

Indeed, we all have subconscious drives, including remainders.

Parris' analysis is completely insulting and again reflects badly on the author rather than Leavers. As if there were only his two reasons why anyone would be a Leaver. In my view, most of the Leavers on here are the exact opposite of the victims he describes, and rather belong in the optimist camp of believing we can do better making our own decisions. This has nothing to do with feeling bullied, and all to do with belief in our own abilities. The different is a 'take charge' attitude versus a whining 'why me?' of the bullied.

Why do people think it is useful to ascribe motivations (unsubtle and monolithic motivations at that) to people with whom they disagree on what essentially is a values judgment, not something fully amenable to cost benefit analysis?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Cyclefree said:

b. Sex abroad.
    c. Sex with foreigners.

I guess it depends what position you adopt...... Err.. Politically I mean
    :smile:
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

I like Gove, but if Dave regarded him as toxic as education secretary then he sure as hell won't be mad enough to make him chancellor. As for the Leavers' view of things - who gives a flying fig? Labour is having its own problems with unelectable extremists. Dave won't want to emulate.

Put Gove as chancellor - let him have the poisoned chalice for a few years and maybe the opprobrium for Osborne will diminish and he can sneak in as next PM.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited May 2016
    Remember, there are two types of chancellor. Those who fail and those who get out in time.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Gove has been doing some really good work at MoJ, and if the right boundaries are set, he could well become a very good Chancellor. He is very good at the real detail of policy - which is a key thing for anyone at No 11.

As long as he has economic matters as a focus and not a wider cross-departmental policy role, I think it would be a good fit.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    SeanT said:

Does being a Leave supporter implant in an individual the disposition to believe they are being cheated and bullied? Or does being the type of person disposed to feel cheated and bullied lead you to be a Leave supporter?

I suspect it’s the latter. If so, this article is just spitting into the wind, and what’s needed is not argument but psychotherapy.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/leave-campaigners-arent-being-disrespected-theyre-being-paranoid/

Personally, I wouldn't go as far to say that Leavers are in need of treatment, but there are certainly patterns of behaviour there that suggest sub-conscious drives.

God, Parris has turned into the most awful, snobbish, sanctimonious dickhead.
    I agree. He used to be so clever, write fairly with a positive flair. Today, he seems civil but embittered.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I responded seriously. Your response was far more appropriate.
  • Options
    "Sceptics telling Downing Street that they want Gove to be Chancellor"

That sounds unlikely - frankly it's more likely that they would have expressed a preference for him to become Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

b. Sex abroad.
    c. Sex with foreigners.

Could also be unnatural, as in 'foreign body'
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Just a reminder. The state of play

50/50

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/

A Dead Heat. Absolute knife-edge. And this is after the REMAIN launched their Obamablitz, sending in their crack troops and Panther tanks, their battle hardened Chechen jihadists and their Imperial Guard, aiming to take REMAIN into an impregnable lead.

And the polls are deadlocked. No wonder they are scared. No wonder Vince Cable is saying "parliament will ignore a narrow LEAVE victory"

What a c*nt.

Jeez ignore a vote for leave even if a narrow win??

They will be sharpening the pitchforks and tarring the burning torches if they do that.

If it's a narrow remain then I'll accept that but the audacity of this twat to ignore the democratic will is certainly pushing "the nuclear button"
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Who decides his rate ?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

b. Sex abroad.
    c. Sex with foreigners.

Dead or alive !
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Remember, there are two types of chancellor. Those who fail and those who get out in time.

The best timed departure recently was Blair. He nailed it to an absolute T.

Around 3 weeks after he left while the fuckmuppet Brown was still screwing his nameplate onto the door it all went tits up spectacularly. It was all downhill for him from there.

Even I was impressed and I really don't like Blair.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    edited May 2016
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

b. Sex abroad.
    c. Sex with foreigners.

I have lived a sheltered life...... :)
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Put Gove as chancellor - let him have the poisoned chalice for a few years and maybe the opprobrium for Osborne will diminish and he can sneak in as next PM.
    Good point. If there is Brexit, then the cruel thing to do would be to put a Leaver in the firing line for when the consequences are unleashed. Just a thought: a Leaver chancellor amid Brexit mayhem won't be the most popular guy in town.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

50/50

A Dead Heat. Absolute knife-edge. And this is after the REMAIN launched their Obamablitz, sending in their crack troops and Panther tanks, their battle hardened Chechen jihadists and their Imperial Guard, aiming to take REMAIN into an impregnable lead.

And the polls are deadlocked. No wonder they are scared. No wonder Vince Cable is saying "parliament will ignore a narrow LEAVE victory"

What a c*nt.

I moved from a 55 - 45 REMAIN win to 58 - 42 REMAIN win two weeks back. I have no reason to change my mind. I have seen die-hard anti-foreigner types conceding it will be bad for their personal finances. However, they calculate that.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

50/50

What a c*nt.

Thank God Parliament didn't ignore a narrow victory in Twickenham last May.

Isn't it time that someone told Cable that he's a nobody now.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

Patrick said:

Who decides his rate ?
    There could be a problem with non-tarrif barriers, and fees to pay in order to access the single market.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Probably been addressed before, but what happens in the event of an exact tie. Is it status quo, or does the future of UK get decided in a coin toss?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Oh, and whoever is betting on Javid at 3/1 for chancellor needs their head examined, he would be in poll position as an ex City boy if he had come out for Leave, but by toadying up to Osborne he has been labelled a traitor by the Leave side and his terrible arguments for Remain haven't made him many friends there either AIUI.

I really cannot fathom what Tories see in him and that Priti Patel. If the Tories do want someone from the EM, then that Kwasi chappie ain't that bad.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited May 2016
    Moses_ said:

SeanT said:

50/50

What a c*nt.

Jeez ignore a vote for leave even if a narrow win??

They will be sharpening the pitchforks and tarring the burning torches if they do that.

If it's a narrow remain then I'll accept that but the audacity of this twat to ignore the democratic will is certainly pushing "the nuclear button"
    As a committed Remainer, if the vote is for Leave it will have to be accepted.

Mind, I'll be recommending to my children and such of my grandchildren who are able to implement their decisions that they seriously consider their options.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

Who decides his rate ?
    There could be a problem with non-tarrif barriers, and fees to pay in order to access the single market.
    I sincerely hope you are talking about economic barriers , not the other kind he should use in this trade !
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Patrick said:

Might he not enjoy that?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Parris has reverted to the hysterical bitch style that he used in the unsuccessful defense of his doomed friend John Major during the mid nineties. A bad omen for Remain.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Good point. If there is Brexit, then the cruel thing to do would be to put a Leaver in the firing line for when the consequences are unleashed. Just a thought: a Leaver chancellor amid Brexit mayhem won't be the most popular guy in town.
    Serious point: Can the Tories remain in power if LEAVE wins very narrowly ? I am sure there are a few Europhile Tories who wants to be in the EU as strongly as there are many Tories in the opposite camp.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    RobD said:

Probably been addressed before, but what happens in the event of an exact tie. Is it status quo, or does the future of UK get decided in a coin toss?

And Cameron's got a double heraded penny all lined up!
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Guardian
    Leaked TTIP documents cast doubt on EU-US trade deal https://t.co/Mzo9zEgZtl
  • Options
    surbiton said:

weejonnie said:

Serious point: Can the Tories remain in power if LEAVE wins very narrowly ? I am sure there are a few Europhile Tories who wants to be in the EU as strongly as there are many Tories in the opposite camp.
    You're suggesting there would be an election post a leave vote?
  • Options
    Looks like Red Len has taken over the running of the Labour Party?

"He knows some prominent party members are prepared to blame their own party leadership for what they expect to be poor election results this week. So he is firing a shot across their bows to dissuade any of them from launching a leadership challenge."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36180572

Well.....Either It secures Corbyn firmly in place and a continuous civil war on all fronts or results in a cataclysmic split resulting in total disintegration.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

RobD said:

George would call tails!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

George would call tails!
    They don't call him the master strategist for no reason!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not sure but someone on here a few weeks ago said the Speaker of the house has a casting vote?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

It's your obsessive sledging of leavers that rather suggests you only have one hand available for typing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    RobD said:

We remain in the EU. The Speaker Denison principle applies.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    I thought the referendum was in the bag?
  • Options
    RobD said:

There is a recount I assume - of every location - until they find the box of REMAIN votes that somehow got missed and has now magically appeared.
  • Options

Guardian

Were they in the wrong queue?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

There is a recount I assume - of every location - until they find the box of REMAIN votes that somehow got missed and has now magically appeared.
    Ah yes, the tried and tested tory method of winning elections. :)
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Not sure but someone on here a few weeks ago said the Speaker of the house has a casting vote?
    As a citizen, I'm sure he has a vote. Probably doesn't get a special one though.
  • Options
    Dylan Sharpe
    The Morning Star addresses anti-Semitism head on: "right-wing smears" & John Mann confronting Ken a "new low" https://t.co/OimJbnmIAW
  • Options
    Indigo said:

It's your obsessive sledging of leavers that rather suggests you only have one hand available for typing.
    It's the old lefty-righty philosophy as amended for the EU - remainers don't understand the leaver's point of view, hate them and attack them with ad hominem insults. Leavers do understand the remainers and are trying to convert them.

Personally - If was trying to convert someone to my point of view I wouldn't be insulting them calling them loons and fruitcakes, nutters, small Englanders etc. Unless I've missed a chapter in "How To Win Friends and Influence People".
  • Options
    surbiton said:

weejonnie said:

Yes. Why wouldn't they? They have the mandate and have delivered on their promise. Cameron and Ozzy well perhaps that's a different story. Probably in the short term but Cameron was going anyway.

Remain is going to win so we keep being told so it's irrelevant.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2016
    Among other things SeanT said
    "And the polls are deadlocked. No wonder they are scared. No wonder Vince Cable is saying "parliament will ignore a narrow LEAVE victory""

The idea that Parliament is the final and absolute arbiter is a few centuries old now.
    Laterally, this reminds me that we need a second elected House with specific powers.

By the way, I said on Feb 5
    As long as DC can convey the message of "toughness" over this country's immigration policy (damnme but many people do seem to believe what he says) my bones tell me that "STAY" will win by a Hillary C Iowan maidenhair wisp.
  • Options
    Unlike a General Election, when people's voting intentions can be more readily swayed by some slick Rogeresque-style Party Political Broadcast, in the case of voting for REMAIN or LEAVE the EU most of us have entrenched views which in the case of Leavers have been hardened by over 40 years experience of bureaucratic nonsense, a progressive loss of sovereignty and generally being ripped off.
    Most of us are not for turning as Cameron is discovering and seemingly now panicking over. Given the state of the polls, it's extraordinary in my view that the likes of Hills continue to offer odds of 5/2 against a LEAVE victory, although this is somewhat shorter than their 3/1 price which I alerted PBers to a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr T,

50-50 is very dangerous for Remain - they need to be further ahead. It only takes one terrorist atrocity close to the Referendum and we'll be out (unfair as that might be).
  • Options

Guardian

This is why the EU is doomed. Its regulatory environment is becoming so anti-business and its ability to toss out ineffective regulations so ossified that many businesses will have no option but to move offshore. The same - to even more detrimental effect - will be happening in scientific innovation and research.
  • Options
    RobD said:

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

Or the EU method which is to either just ignore the outcome entirely or rerun the referendums until they make "the correct decision" at which point it's legally binding and can never be rerun.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

Or the EU method which is to either just ignore the outcome entirely or rerun the referendums until they make "the correct decision" at which point it's legally binding and can never be rerun.
    Probably not a good strategy for the Tories in Bootle.... :D
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    God the leadership rammy in Scotland is deeply depressing. So many promises to spend more from what? So little to say about how the private sector is to grow. All about growing the state and what government money can do. Even Ruth gets dragged into this.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Good to see REMAIN not peaking too soon, we don't want any complacency do we? Got to GOTV! :wink:
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Just watched The Woman in Gold..and have this overwhelming urge to go and kick Livingstones butt...except I don't want to soil my shoe..
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Osborne to become Foreign Secretary? I spy spin. Was it not reported that Osborne was due to replace Hague in that role towards the end of the last parliament? Surely this is all spin and Osborne would be quite happy to swap jobs.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited May 2016
    The markets for Brexit are still very generous - I am still not sure of how the vote will go, but the lack of visceral connection with the EU is going to make soft remain turnout very difficult. Remainiacs will vote to stay, but will be matched by the strong Leaver crowd.

Anecdote alert: Mother furious that Obama was invited over to interfere. "Such a shame, I used to like that David Cameron; but he has just got silly now. When will that nice Mr Gove take over"
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Dylan Sharpe
    The Morning Star addresses anti-Semitism head on: "right-wing smears" & John Mann confronting Ken a "new low" https://t.co/OimJbnmIAW

ahh - I see where Roger gets his ideas from now :-)
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Just watched The Woman in Gold..and have this overwhelming urge to go and kick Livingstones butt...except I don't want to soil my shoe..

The kind of claims that Livingstone has been making, and not apologizing for, are clearly of the sort that can be backed up by citing specific reliable sources. I guess he hasn't done so. If that be true then he really should, like scabies, be ejected and forgotten.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    SeanT said:

I think he was always like that.

On one of those 'Thatcher retrospective' programs of a few years back Parris mentioned how he and his Tory pals had always referred to Thatcher as 'Hilda'.

The reason being that they thought Hilda a more downmarket name than Margaret.
  • Options
    Ouch - UK: The Left's Little Antisemitism Problem

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7937/uk-labour-antisemitism
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2016

You're suggesting that Remain supporters aren't affected by sub-conscious drives as well?
  • Options

Jahadi Jez's friend are always going to cause trouble. At the moment I would think few really know about Hamas etc connections.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    AndyJS said:

You're suggesting that Remain supporters aren't affected by sub-conscious drives as well?
    Is obedience to orders a sub-conscious drive ?

Its the driving force behind most PB Remainers.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Interesting it says Osborne won't be moved willingly - I recall a theory being floated pre GE that the idea was Osborne wanted to be moved to the foreign office, as DecrepitJohnL says.

Would the problem now be it is to appease the Right and so punitive, or that he no longer or never wanted the move? Or would he actually not mind at all, but, having set aside his own leadership ambitions for now as unachievable, he recognises in order for Cameron and thus any future prospects for himself to be stronger, he needs to appear unhappy at being moved?

Or am I overthinking it?

Dylan Sharpe

How do they reconcile all the left wingers who have said there's a problem, unless they literally believe anyone not on the far left is right wing, which given it is the Star may be the case.
  • Options
    Anthea
    Stalin banners on May Day march addressed by Jeremy Corbyn https://t.co/xfV5WSukIY via @MailOnline
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Interesting it says Osborne won't be moved willingly - I recall a theory being floated pre GE that the idea was Osborne wanted to be moved to the foreign office, as DecrepitJohnL says.

Would the problem now be it is to appease the Right and so punitive, or that he no longer or never wanted the move? Or would he actually not mind at all, but, having set aside his own leadership ambitions for now as unachievable, he recognises in order for Cameron and thus any future prospects for himself to be stronger, he needs to appear unhappy at being moved?

Or am I overthinking it?

Dylan Sharpe

How do they reconcile all the left wingers who have said there's a problem, unless they literally believe anyone not on the far left is right wing, which given it is the Star may be the case.
    As someone said earlier: Like all alcoholics, you have admit your weakness first. Labour is in decline, but decent is a strange thing. It starts slowly, then gathers speed then is unstoppable. Labour in Scotland is a good example. Is Wales next?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Anthea
    Stalin banners on May Day march addressed by Jeremy Corbyn https://t.co/xfV5WSukIY via @MailOnline

Stalin , Hitler, Mao, IRA, Hamas - welcome to the labour party 2016 - where supporters of all mass murdering (dictators) are welcome.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anthea

Stalin. STALIN,

Can you imagine Cameron addressing a march where people hold banners of Hitler?

Ken Livingstone, sure, but Cameron? No.
    There certainly wouldn't just be a shrug & a twitter cry of "smear"...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Comments like those of Vince Cable, Matthew Parris and the ex-editor of The Independent show why Leave simply have to win.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I'm waiting for the moment Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell is photographed sacrificing small mammals to SATAN, but then claims that the Evil One is just *misunderstood*

Nick griffin must be scratching his head going but but if I had done half of that stuff...
  • Options
    I'm sure I saw pictures of a giant flag with Stalin on it at a Liverpool game last year - it is a bit of a mystery to me why pictures of and quotes openly from Stalin appear to pass without more comment, given modern Russian history, at least around WW2 era, is one of the few historical things most people are taught and should be aware of.
    Dixie said:

kle4 said:

Or am I overthinking it?

Dylan Sharpe

As someone said earlier: Like all alcoholics, you have admit your weakness first. Labour is in decline, but decent is a strange thing. It starts slowly, then gathers speed then is unstoppable. Labour in Scotland is a good example. Is Wales next?
    Well, possibly, but I just struggle to see it - the Tories are not the ones picking up the support Labour might be losing, and while UKIP might pick up some, at the end of the day, after long enough, people will not want Tory government again (we only just got it this time), and someone has to be the recipient, however bad they are. The LDs don't look like managing it for decades if ever, UKIP will really struggle to become it given our electoral system, so Labour will surely recover? Unusual as it is, they will win handsomely in London I suspect, showing there is a market for them even at difficult times.
  • Options
    Always fun reading the comments on a Labour blog. Granted, some are Tories taking the michael, but quite a few are agitated by the loony left.

http://labourlist.org/2016/04/corbyn-launches-anti-semitism-action-plan-but-ken-blames-row-on-embittered-old-blairites/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anthea

Stalin. STALIN,

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2014/05/ive-just-seen-nazi-banners-in-trafalgar-square-well-almost/
  • Options

Jahadi Jez's friend are always going to cause trouble. At the moment I would think few really know about Hamas etc connections.
    If they don't after the blitz of talk about it upon his election, when will they?

Really it seems like Labour will get 29-30% no matter who is leader.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

Anthea

Stalin , Hitler, Mao, IRA, Hamas - welcome to the labour party 2016 - where supporters of all mass murdering (dictators) are welcome.
    Apart from the obviously nauseating Stalinism, the Left is obviously stuck in some kind of 1968 time warp. Where is their programme for the realities of 21st century? Same old platitudes and shibboleths.

“They had learned nothing and forgotten nothing.”
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    SeanT said:

Anthea

Stalin. STALIN,

Happy May Day, Comrade PBers!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Anthea

Stalin. STALIN,

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2014/05/ive-just-seen-nazi-banners-in-trafalgar-square-well-almost/
    Hey, looks like the CPGB-ML are fond of reusing that Stalin banner quote, looks like the same one pictured today.

I like it is attributed to 'J V Stalin'. Most people would say Joesph Stalin and leave it at that, and it's not as though there's an attempt to hide who they mean as his picture is next to the quote, but it's nice we should be made aware of his middle initial.

And whatever you do, don't call them Trots! Trotskyism is just a tool of the capitalists.
  • Options
    Telegraph front page - Jahadi Jez, Hamas, hezbollah
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Probably not. I was a diehard eurosceptic for years, but I now feel that my antagonism was driven by umpteen other considerations: loss of empire, Heath and 1970s defeatism, the political assassination of Thatcher, Jacques Delors, Tony Blair. Euroscepticism was just a conduit for my hatred of those horrible things. As you get older you feel less uptight and more relaxed about shedding the romantic certainties of youth. Now my Europhilia is based solely on the application of pure reason. I must say, it's felt like a glorious benediction.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

If they don't after the blitz of talk about it upon his election, when will they?

I'm not so sure. I reckon the election of Corbyn is now shining a light on the repulsiveness of the Left - from Stalinism to Islamism - in a way we've never seen before. It's like suddenly discovering 30% of the Tory party is actively Fascist, in a seriously aggressive way.

Labour will do pretty well in London, but where else? I'm struggling to see it. I reckon they could go down to 25-26% at the next GE, and maybe lower, if Corbyn stays in place. That's close to the precipice.

They are very lucky the Tories are consumed in their own civil strife. A united and ruthlessly determined Tory party could drive Labour out of business altogether.
    Agreed.
    Pity whichever centrist moderate party spent 5 of the last 6 years being ineffectual just before this golden opportunity.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

They are very lucky the Tories are consumed in their own civil strife. A united and ruthlessly determined Tory party could drive Labour out of business altogether.
    It must be giving great hope to Labour, the Tory strife - it will be very interesting to see how much fallout there truly is. The dreams of loyalists that all that has been stirred up with the referendum will blow over is surely just that, a dream, but just how damaging could it prove? Cameron is maneuvering it seems, but is there enough he can do?

Some few even on here have, possibly in jest, suggested Corbyn really would be better than Cameron and co given the last few months. If even in jest it is said, I wonder how many might actually go that way should the Tory mess get even worse. Labour are clearly banking on it.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    SeanT said:

He hasn't changed. It's just he writes things you don't agree with these days.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Corbyn will love the coverage on the BBC tonight.
This discussion has been closed.