Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited May 2016 in General

imageUndefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    First, like Leicester (hopefully).
  • Options
    Second ..... like REMAIN
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    FPT

Chelsea are useless

Basically.

Terry and Ivanovic are several years past their best. Many of the others are mercenaries.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,375
    Mousa Dembélé = Legend.
  • Options

Mousa Dembélé = Legend.

Banned when the FA see it.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Mousa Dembélé = Legend.

Banned when the FA see it.
    Doesn't matter. Is a bit like earning three points on your licence, some things are worth it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218
    edited May 2016
    I agree with some of the comments on the previous thread. The number of anti Semitic comments has risen exponentially on the back of Livingstone's comments. It is depressing and horrible that even hiding behind the anonymity of false names on a blog site anyone can think this is in any way ok. It really isn't. Really.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited May 2016

Second ..... like REMAIN

Increasingly convinced this is going to happen barring a shift in Brussels. Will be interesting to see whether the EU decides they can in fact let us restrict freedom of movement in some way, shape or form....

Would probably swing it - I would definitely reconsider.
  • Options
    Sort of on topic, a lot of my friends are saying they are seeing an awful lot of Remain adverts on YouTube videos.

Even on the Leave ones.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Mortimer said:

Second ..... like REMAIN

Increasingly convinced this is going to happen barring a shift in Brussels. Will be interesting to see whether the EU decides they can in fact let us restrict freedom of movement in some way, shape or form....

I doubt it still, to be honest. I think however it will be tighter than the Indyref. It could easily be less than a five point margin and much is going to depend on turnout.

Wales could be interesting to watch this week on the basis of recent polling. I've always set my face against UKIP gaining lots of seats (because they've said this at every election and it simply hasn't happened) but I've just come back from a visit to Wales and I'm sensing a shift in mood against the EU after Port Talbot (because rightly or wrongly they are getting much of the blame for it). If that feeds through on Thursday any bet on UKIP to get five or more seats could be a possible winner. So could any bet on the Liberal Democrats winning two or fewer seats, because they will be the ones who lose out.

At that point a Plaid/Labour coalition becomes less the overwhelming probability and more like a racing certainty.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Interesting post over at Harry's place

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/05/02/springtime-for-jeremy/

"This foul week has seen the political spotlight fall on the fate of or reaction to a minority group that makes up around 0.3% of the UK population. Imagine if you can – being part of that minority. Are we celebrating the week’s events? Are we pleased that we can sit around at an extended family dinner and realize that not one of us will be voting Labour next week despite the fact that we are all lifetime Labour voters over 3 generations? Do we sit back comfortably and say to the youngest at the table “don’t worry son, there’s a bucket of hate coming your way and it comes from those who you might well have assumed would have your back, given that you’re part of an ethnic minority group. Relax already!”

Or do we react with anxiety? That the thing we want to happen (Labour freeing itself from the grip of a toxic and regressive extremist coup) has to happen with our name all over the headlines? I ask myself why the Jews have to carry this burden? Why not someone else? Why can’t Labour finally break with the Broad Church concept by mobilizing around one of the other many examples of the hard Left’s regressive and undemocratic politics that have no place in a modern social democratic party of government? Why anti-Semitism? Why us?Again.

I don’t want to be out on point for the Left. Why? Because it’s not reasonable for a tiny minority to have to carry the weight. Because it’s not safe. I fear the “blowback”. I am nervous in anticipating what “whirlwinds” UK Jews may have to “reap”. If Corbyn et al fall over this, I am concerned for the safety of my fellow Jews. We quietly put up with needing police or security guards outside schools and synagogues already. And street abuse & violence is on the up. But largely, UK Jews keep their heads down, try not to scare the horses and just get on with being engaged citizens. And largely, that works as a strategy to survive and thrive. As it does for many other ethnic minorities. Is being stuck in the middle of the political meltdown of Labour part of the plan for safety? Not where I’m sitting."

• Options
    On the plus side Leicester should be able to get something at Chelsea if needed. Antonio Conte has his work cut out once Italy are knocked out of the Euros.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    tlg86 said:

On the plus side Leicester should be able to get something at Chelsea if needed. Antonio Conte has his work cut out once Italy are knocked out of the Euros.

They are also surely about to win the World Snooker Championship.

(Given my track record in sporting predictions, put your money on Ding, quick!)

EDIT - and just to prove it, Selby misses a straight one.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Leicester have by far the easier games for the last pair of matches.

They avoided defeat against the two real threats to their title run-in - West Ham and Manchester United.
  • Options

Sort of on topic, a lot of my friends are saying they are seeing an awful lot of Remain adverts on YouTube videos.

Even on the Leave ones.

I am getting huge amounts of paid Remain ads on fb - but interesting far more natural Leave ads from family/friends, especially C1s than the natural Remain ads from As and Bs...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    DavidL said:

I agree with some of the comments on the previous thread. The number of anti Semitic comments has risen exponentially on the back of Livingstone's comments. It is depressing and horrible that even hiding behind the anonymity of false names on a blog site anyone can think this is in any way ok. It really isn't. Really.

Is it is not also possible that many of the pro Israel comments on the site are the posts of Mossad agents or more likely their helper Sayanim . Don't forget it has been estimated that there are 5,000 of the latter living in London alone , 2,000 of whom are actively supporting a foreign country's secret service .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Second ..... like REMAIN

I doubt it still, to be honest. I think however it will be tighter than the Indyref. It could easily be less than a five point margin and much is going to depend on turnout.

Wales could be interesting to watch this week on the basis of recent polling. I've always set my face against UKIP gaining lots of seats (because they've said this at every election and it simply hasn't happened) but I've just come back from a visit to Wales and I'm sensing a shift in mood against the EU after Port Talbot (because rightly or wrongly they are getting much of the blame for it). If that feeds through on Thursday any bet on UKIP to get five or more seats could be a possible winner. So could any bet on the Liberal Democrats winning two or fewer seats, because they will be the ones who lose out.

At that point a Plaid/Labour coalition becomes less the overwhelming probability and more like a racing certainty.
    Agreed re: UKIP. Interesting to hear that from south - my experience of Wales is from the north; even Rhyl went Tory at the last election. RHYL!!!!
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn was in Burnley today, and today Burnley were promoted to the Premier League.

Prediction: Expect a lot more PB threads saying Corbyn needs to spend every day of the next season in Burnley.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

I am getting huge amounts of paid Remain ads on fb - but interesting far more natural Leave ads from family/friends, especially C1s than the natural Remain ads from As and Bs...
    Nice to know quantity isn't everything. When this is over REMAIN will have outspent LEAVE by about 3:1.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn was in Burnley today, and today Burnley were promoted to the Premier League.

Prediction: Expect a lot more PB threads saying Corbyn needs to spend every day of the next season in Burnley.

Now if Gordon Brown had gone to Burnley, they'd be playing in the Northern League next season :smiley:
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

Now facebook is interesting, the Tories used it a lot last year, and the Tory digital gurus are working for Remain.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Mirror
    Defiant Jeremy Corbyn weathers the storm saying I WILL NOT QUIT https://t.co/vPCHiS1zEJ https://t.co/eaYRef2TOt
  • Options
    16661666 Posts: 72
    The latest that we are about to be invaded by Turkish immigrants and my discussions with the youth of our country suggest that Brexit is inevitable.
    Yet again the politicians have stuffed things up . May be we would work towards a united Europe but not at the speed they want . They are here to serve not to dictate !
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Second ..... like REMAIN

Agreed re: UKIP. Interesting to hear that from south - my experience of Wales is from the north; even Rhyl went Tory at the last election. RHYL!!!!
    Never visited the place, but purely anecdotally isn't Rhyl getting quite a lot of people coming in from outside because the property is cheap and the transport links to the big Northern cities are not bad? I bought my house off a man who was moving to Rhyl (he isn't commuting back to Cannock, before anyone asks)! That could shunt Rhyl and the surrounding area to the right, while tipping places like Wirral and Chester to the left.

Note that Wrexham appears to have had a steadily rising Tory vote for some time as well.
  • Options
    Interesting Bloomberg interview with Mike ...... with all this media exposure he must be earning a small fortune and well deserved it is too!
    I was rather surprised however to hear him claim that LEAVE supporters were less likely to vote than those supporting REMAIN. Surely the precise opposite is very definitely the case. I'm putting it down to interview nerves on Mike's part.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    I like how the US presenters have to essentialy explain the very concept of political beting like it's this strange concept - I guess I never really consider how different gambling cultures and legalities can be. I'm surprised they didn't ask more about how much we bet on US politics.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

Now facebook is interesting, the Tories used it a lot last year, and the Tory digital gurus are working for Remain.
    Agreed. Might be a good study in whether the medium or the message drives electoral victories. Remain ads on fb that I've seen seem to be focusing on:

1) Economy
    2) Ad hom. attacks on Leaver leaders
    3) Authority figures saying Leave would be disastrous

I'm still not convinced either will work given the various reasons that people are anti-EU, most notably immigration concerns.
  • Options

Interesting Bloomberg interview with Mike ...... with all this media exposure he must be earning a small fortune and well deserved it is too!
    I was rather surprised however to hear him claim that LEAVE supporters were less likely to vote than those supporting REMAIN. Surely the precise opposite is very definitely the case. I'm putting it down to interview nerves on Mike's part.

I thought that was a point that Leavers are saying they are more likely to vote, but demographically they are more likely to be from groups they don't vote as much (though of course age wise they are)?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218

DavidL said:

Is it is not also possible that many of the pro Israel comments on the site are the posts of Mossad agents or more likely their helper Sayanim . Don't forget it has been estimated that there are 5,000 of the latter living in London alone , 2,000 of whom are actively supporting a foreign country's secret service .
    If so they are not very busy. I have seen very few pro Israeli comments. Their arrogant use of disproportionate response is not excused by their history and threatens their own future. Anti Semitic comments are completely different and directed against British citizens. It is disgraceful.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Second ..... like REMAIN

Never visited the place, but purely anecdotally isn't Rhyl getting quite a lot of people coming in from outside because the property is cheap and the transport links to the big Northern cities are not bad? I bought my house off a man who was moving to Rhyl (he isn't commuting back to Cannock, before anyone asks)! That could shunt Rhyl and the surrounding area to the right, while tipping places like Wirral and Chester to the left.

Note that Wrexham appears to have had a steadily rising Tory vote for some time as well.
    Probably correct - it is where my maternal family are from, and decidedly underprivileged compared to surrounding areas. Could well do with some development and investment.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

Agreed. Might be a good study in whether the medium or the message drives electoral victories. Remain ads on fb that I've seen seem to be focusing on:

1) Economy

I'm still not convinced either will work given the various reasons that people are anti-EU, most notably immigration concerns.
    I spoke to a Leaver a few weeks ago, he was of the view if immigration really was the number one concern, UKIP would have won last year's general election and Farage would be PM today.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I thought that was a point that Leavers are saying they are more likely to vote, but demographically they are more likely to be from groups they don't vote as much (though of course age wise they are)?
    Based on General Elections.

I wonder how it compares to independence referendums and Euro elections.
  • Options
    I'm still nervous about Leicester, I must say
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,200

DavidL said:

Well, I've been accused of being a spy before now. Never a Mossad one, though.

At least, that's off the bucket list, now.

• Options
    chestnut said:

FPT

Chelsea are useless

Basically.

Terry and Ivanovic are several years past their best. Many of the others are mercenaries.
    That's always the risk when you have a billionnaire shovelling out the money.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Mossad has about a thousand staff — it's not a vast organisation, Israel is not a populous country — and you think they have 5,000 agents in London alone?

That kind of unsubstantiated nonsense is the sort of thing that feeds antisemitism, the belief that the Israelis are far more powerful than really are is used to justify, and is necessary to explain, the ridiculous conspiracy theories that their enemies frequently peddle. Which if you have been following today you would know are sometimes not just false but utterly repellent, such as blaming the Sandy Hook Elementary School murders on Israel.

• Options
    California poll — @SurveyUSA

Trump 54%
    Cruz 20%
    Kasich 16%

Clinton 57%
    Sanders 38%

https://t.co/AlkDOl3PXP
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

I had you down as a spy in the femme fatale modus operandi of Xenia Onatopp
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If so they are not very busy. I have seen very few pro Israeli comments. Their arrogant use of disproportionate response is not excused by their history and threatens their own future. Anti Semitic comments are completely different and directed against British citizens. It is disgraceful.
    Israel often appears to be a nation gripped with national paranoia. Partly the Holocaust but also I suspect the Arab wars. Like most paranoiacs, they lash out unthinkingly because they are always panicking about being attacked. As a result, of course, they frequently are attacked.

That's my armchair analysis from several thousand miles away. I am actually going to Israel in the summer, so hopefully after that I will have a better knowledge and understanding of them.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Floater said:

"This foul week has seen the political spotlight fall on the fate of or reaction to a minority group that makes up around 0.3% of the UK population. Imagine if you can – being part of that minority. Are we celebrating the week’s events? Are we pleased that we can sit around at an extended family dinner and realize that not one of us will be voting Labour next week despite the fact that we are all lifetime Labour voters over 3 generations? Do we sit back comfortably and say to the youngest at the table “don’t worry son, there’s a bucket of hate coming your way and it comes from those who you might well have assumed would have your back, given that you’re part of an ethnic minority group. Relax already!”

Or do we react with anxiety? That the thing we want to happen (Labour freeing itself from the grip of a toxic and regressive extremist coup) has to happen with our name all over the headlines? I ask myself why the Jews have to carry this burden? Why not someone else? Why can’t Labour finally break with the Broad Church concept by mobilizing around one of the other many examples of the hard Left’s regressive and undemocratic politics that have no place in a modern social democratic party of government? Why anti-Semitism? Why us?Again.

I don’t want to be out on point for the Left. Why? Because it’s not reasonable for a tiny minority to have to carry the weight. Because it’s not safe. I fear the “blowback”. I am nervous in anticipating what “whirlwinds” UK Jews may have to “reap”. If Corbyn et al fall over this, I am concerned for the safety of my fellow Jews. We quietly put up with needing police or security guards outside schools and synagogues already. And street abuse & violence is on the up. But largely, UK Jews keep their heads down, try not to scare the horses and just get on with being engaged citizens. And largely, that works as a strategy to survive and thrive. As it does for many other ethnic minorities. Is being stuck in the middle of the political meltdown of Labour part of the plan for safety? Not where I’m sitting."

Thanks for posting that.

I've been pondering the PCC hustings I attended recently. For me there are two front runners, one of whom is the Labour representative. The other's an Indie. Both nice people, good ideas, suitable candidates.

I'm a bit of a leftie but don't see any value in party politics for PCCs,

Now, I'm thinking: How in good conscience can I vote for anyone sailing under the Labour banner?

The Labour brand has been trashed. It's making me sick.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If so they are not very busy. I have seen very few pro Israeli comments.
    In fact many people have gone out of their way to criticise the Israeli government precisely because some try to suggest that because a minority might call any criticism of the Israeli government as anti-semitic that the majority of those calling out anti-semitism have the same fallacious view.
  • Options
    glw said:

Mossad has about a thousand staff — it's not a vast organisation, Israel is not a populous country — and you think they have 5,000 agents in London alone?

That kind of unsubstantiated nonsense is the sort of thing that feeds antisemitism, the belief that the Israelis are far more powerful than really are is used to justify, and is necessary to explain, the ridiculous conspiracy theories that their enemies frequently peddle. Which if you have been following today you would know are sometimes not just false but utterly repellent, such as blaming the Sandy Hook Elementary School murders on Israel.

I was assuming it was an ironic post, gently sending up the hysteria of some of the anti-Israeli posts we saw on the last thread and over the last week.

Are you telling me Mark was serious?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If players like Fabregas, Hazard and Willian can't pick their way through Ryan Mason and Eric Dier then Chelsea really do have long-term problems.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Floater said:

I've been pondering the PCC hustings I attended recently.
    I didn't get any furhter than this bit - they actually held hustings for the PCC election? Hurrah!
  • Options
    The interesting thing is that even if we vote to stay within 5 years the EU will fall apart . The writing is on the wall.
  • Options
    glw said:

I did not say agents , I said Sayanim . Google the word and learn something .
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

I got so many I blocked them.

No doubt Remain are throwing huge amounts of money at social media. They are basically re-running the GE2015 Tory election campaign playbook, step-by-step.

Will it work?

Dunno. Maybe.
  • Options
    1666 said:

The interesting thing is that even if we vote to stay within 5 years the EU will fall apart . The writing is on the wall.

Don't be too sure - if there's one thing the EU is great at it is bodging a solution together to kick the can down the road. Obviously there are limits, but they may surprise us yet again with yet more temporary, inadequate fixes.
  • Options
    Be afraid, be very afraid, Skynet is coming

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/727234117901889536
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Thanks for posting that.

I've been pondering the PCC hustings I attended recently. For me there are two front runners, one of whom is the Labour representative. The other's an Indie. Both nice people, good ideas, suitable candidates.

I'm a bit of a leftie but don't see any value in party politics for PCCs,

Now, I'm thinking: How in good conscience can I vote for anyone sailing under the Labour banner?

The Labour brand has been trashed. It's making me sick.

Helpfully, the PCC in Staffs is a Conservative and the Labour candidate is useless. I'm going for the ex-PC who's standing, despite my reservations about having an outlaw in charge of the posse.

For the local council, I'm in a real bind. The Labour candidate is a decent enough bloke, although nothing special - not leadership material. I was going to vote for him. However, I'm very much put off by the events of the last week. I was uneasy enough about Corbyn's links to Paul Eisen even before all this kicked off.

That being said, the Conservative candidate would make a certain Stalinist on the last thread look almost sane, and his group are useless. No way am I voting for him or them.

That leaves UKIP. Whom I have no love for, but their candidate is very active in promoting and supporting local children's facilities.

So do I vote for the decent candidate who is standing for a party of fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists, or do I swallow my reservations about Farage and vote UKIP?
  • Options
    This blog is about Brexit not about other issues . Get focused.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

1) Economy

One of the reasons the polls got it wrong last year was the polls undersampled the over 75s.

The over 75s are strongly for Leave.

Also, the targeting was sniper-like within marginal seats (really, very impressive indeed) but the Tory vote nationally didn't uptick that much.

Personally, I think this'll boost Remain turnout, and perhaps win a few converts, but not nearly as many as Remain think.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    1666 said:

What? Last time I checked it was about betting opportunities.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

glw said:

Google tells me the first results are from radioislam (nothing obviously amiss there, fair enough - could be dodgy, but I have no way of knowing first glance) and metapedia, which did raise a flag. Here's what it says about the holocaust

The Holocaust is according to politically correct history a deliberate genocide by National Socialist Germany in which approximately six million Jews were killed. In addition some non-Jewish groups claimed to have been killed by similar methods are sometimes included. Holocaust revisionists dispute that this deliberate genocide occurred...The politically correct view on the Holocaust can be found in numerous easily available sources. This article will mainly describe some of the less often mentioned arguments regarding the Holocaust.

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't understand the point you are trying to make - but Mike definitely said in the interview that LEAVERS were less likely to vote than REMAINERS whereas all the evidence suggests that the precise opposite is in fact the case.
  • Options
    RobD said:

1666 said:

I thought this was a blog to discuss the merits and superiority of AV over First Past The Post.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well it was a German politician who said that anti-Semitism was the socialism of fools. The last few weeks and days have rather proved the accuracy of his remark.

• Options
    1666 said:

Focus is for the weak!

Although on topic, I really should like Mike try to focus on trading bets, looking for opportunities - I still tend to just put small bets on binary outcomes for pure fun.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I don't understand the point you are trying to make - but Mike definitely said in the interview that LEAVERS were less likely to vote than REMAINERS whereas all the evidence suggests that the precise opposite is in fact the case.
    Mike's talking about this

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/725619895304593408
  • Options
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

If players like Fabregas, Hazard and Willian can't pick their way through Ryan Mason and Eric Dier then Chelsea really do have long-term problems.
    Not really - two of the three Chelsea players to whom you refer will probably be on their way this summer.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Well it was a German politician who said that anti-Semitism was the socialism of fools. The last few weeks and days have rather proved the accuracy of his remark.

Before anyone seizes that and runs with it, can I please remind everyone that Hitler himself was not a socialist? Anton Drexler was, hence the name.

You can blame Communism for Nazism, but it's rather a convoluted and confusing thing to do. Much easier to draw the links with nihilism, militarism and Darwinism.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

1) Economy

One of the reasons the polls got it wrong last year was the polls undersampled the over 75s.

Also, the targeting was sniper-like within marginal seats (really, very impressive indeed) but the Tory vote nationally didn't uptick that much.

Personally, I think this'll boost Remain turnout, and perhaps win a few converts, but not nearly as many as Remain think.
    Turnout is the key for Remain; but I'm just not sure there are a sufficient number of people a) enthused about the EU or b) sufficiently scared about Brexit to counter the committed leavers.

On a knife-edge - could be swung either way by external events or a vow...
  • Options
    Leicester!
  • Options
    I give up clearly you are all idiots.
  • Options
    That's more like it from Hazard!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Google tells me the first results are from radioislam (nothing obviously amiss there, fair enough - could be dodgy, but I have no way of knowing first glance) and metapedia, which did raise a flag. Here's what it says about the holocaust

The Holocaust is according to politically correct history a deliberate genocide by National Socialist Germany in which approximately six million Jews were killed. In addition some non-Jewish groups claimed to have been killed by similar methods are sometimes included. Holocaust revisionists dispute that this deliberate genocide occurred...The politically correct view on the Holocaust can be found in numerous easily available sources. This article will mainly describe some of the less often mentioned arguments regarding the Holocaust.

Why bring the Holocaust into the discussion ? There are hundreds of other links you could have referred to .
  • Options
    Why Leave Can't Win is 2016's Why the Tories Can't Win.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Leicester are champions! Almost.
  • Options
    Labour PCC facing probe after awarding £500,000 of public funds to her own charity for victims https://t.co/JfEoIIVJkt
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'm not trying to make any point - I merely thought that Mike was talking about people being asked to rate their likelihood to vote on a scale from 1-10, and that Leavers rated themselves as more likely to vote, but that looking at the stats on who is most likely to vote undermines that assertion somewhat. Poorer people are more likely to vote Leave, and poorer people are less likely to vote. On the other hand, older people are more likely to vote Leaver, and are more likely to vote. So as far as I was aware not 'all' the evidence suggests Remainers are less likely to vote.

I don't see what's complicated about that, even if it is wrong and/or I misheard. It doesn't in any way contradict that Leavers are showing as saying they are more likely to vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

1666 said:

I thought this was a blog to discuss the merits and superiority of AV over First Past The Post.
    Right you are. Although I think you missed a "supposed" in your sentence somewhere... ;)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258
    kle4 said:

1666 said:

Don't be too sure - if there's one thing the EU is great at it is bodging a solution together to kick the can down the road. Obviously there are limits, but they may surprise us yet again with yet more temporary, inadequate fixes.
    Why single out the EU? The government of almost every 'western' country has been doing the same for decades, hence why the developed world remains on the edge of crisis...
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited May 2016

Sayanim ARE agents (an agent is a person recruited to act on behalf of another, in this case an intelligence service), an employee of Mossad is referred to as an intelligence officer, and most of them have desk jobs.

You are the person who needs to learn something.

Anyway to put the "5,000" figure in perspective, that would mean about 1:40 of the Jewish people in London is working for Mossad, exclude the elderly, infirm, and children, and you would probably be looking at 1:20. If you don't find that sort of claim implausible you are taking a lot of wild claims about Mossad far too seriously.
  • Options
    Why are Sky obsessed with Daniel Levy? No other director/chairman is shown on TV as often as he is.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited May 2016
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

1) Economy

Going by behaviouralist theories and applied research, the strongest motivators are PICs and NIC (positive/negative, immediate, certain consequences), followed by PIU (positive, immediate, uncertain), followed by PFC (Positive, future, certain), NFC and NIU; closed out by the weakest motivators PFU and NFU

The Remain campaign is virtually all based on NFU - negative, future, uncertain consequences. the uncertain part explains their focus on using authority figures - trying to reduce the uncertainty and hence increase the impact of the message.

The Leave campaign has two components:
    - immigration, which relies on negative, immediate and certain (NIC) consequence if you vote REMAIN, i.e. encouraging the suppression of the Remain vote and by inference (though this is not how behaviouralist theory works) an increase in the LEAVE vote
    - freeing the shackles of the EU through leaving, which relies on PFU - positive future uncertain.

At least in theory, then, the LEAVE message should have a stronger behavioural response - the immigration message strongly suppressing the Remain vote, and the freeing shackles message very weakly promoting the LEAVE vote; whereas all that REMAIN have is very weakly suppressing the LEAVE vote.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

1) Economy

Turnout is the key for Remain; but I'm just not sure there are a sufficient number of people a) enthused about the EU or b) sufficiently scared about Brexit to counter the committed leavers.

On a knife-edge - could be swung either way by external events or a vow...
    And if that is the case, then we Leave.

If the case for the UK remaining in the EU was truly unambiguous then this wouldn't even be close.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Israel often appears to be a nation gripped with national paranoia. Partly the Holocaust but also I suspect the Arab wars. Like most paranoiacs, they lash out unthinkingly because they are always panicking about being attacked. As a result, of course, they frequently are attacked.

That's my armchair analysis from several thousand miles away. I am actually going to Israel in the summer, so hopefully after that I will have a better knowledge and understanding of them.
    Snap! So am I - probably in July, for work.
  • Options
    1666 said:

I give up clearly you are all idiots.

Said the winner no argument ever....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.
    Damn, I wasn't expecting you to know who she was, so you'd ask me, and I'd post this

Xenia Onatopp Is a beautiful, seductive woman who derives sexual satisfaction from killing, she is a classic and quite literal femme fatale. In one scene, she lures a Canadian admiral, Chuck Farrell, onto a yacht moored off Monte Carlo and, engaging in violent sexual intercourse, suffocates him to death by squeezing her legs around him incredibly hard; she moans in pleasure as he moans in pain, and reaches orgasm as he dies. Meanwhile, a fellow operative (General Arkady Grigorovich Ourumov) steals his NATO ID, granting them access to a Eurocopter Tiger aboard a French warship anchored off Monte Carlo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenia_Onatopp
  • Options
    Good time to bet on a red card.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Leicester!

Me thinks there's a small possibility that OGH and Dr Sox may be late for school in the morning .... :smile:
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

Floater said:

I've been pondering the PCC hustings I attended recently.
    I didn't get any furhter than this bit - they actually held hustings for the PCC election? Hurrah!
    Wife of one of the candidates told me we had a good turn-out at the event - possibly a dozen of us.
  • Options
    This is very entertaining! I reckon both clubs should be done for the behaviour of their players tonight.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    tlg86 said:

Why are Sky obsessed with Daniel Levy? No other director/chairman is shown on TV as often as he is.

Clearly a Jewish conspiracy .... :astonished:
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    JackW said:

Leicester!

Me thinks there's a small possibility that OGH and Dr Sox may be late for school in the morning .... :smile:
    I think I'm going to get an email around 8 am tomorrow morning from Mike asking me to do the morning thread.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Even on the Leave ones.

1) Economy

Going by behaviouralist theories and applied research, the strongest motivators are PICs and NIC (positive/negative, immediate, certain consequences), followed by PIU (positive, immediate, uncertain), followed by PFC (Positive, future, certain), NFC and NIU; closed out by the weakest motivators PFU and NFU

The Remain campaign is virtually all based on NFU - negative, future, uncertain consequences. the uncertain part explains their focus on using authority figures - trying to reduce the uncertainty and hence increase the impact of the message.

The Leave campaign has two components:
    - immigration, which relies on negative, immediate and certain (NIC) consequence if you vote REMAIN, i.e. encouraging the suppression of the Remain vote and by inference (though this is not how behaviouralist theory works) an increase in the LEAVE vote
    - freeing the shackles of the EU through leaving, which relies on PFU - positive future uncertain.

At least in theory, then, the LEAVE message should have a stronger behavioural response - the immigration message strongly suppressing the Remain vote, and the freeing shackles message very weakly promoting the LEAVE vote; whereas all that REMAIN have is very weakly suppressing the LEAVE vote.
    Comments like this keep me coming back and commenting despite the crackpottery revealed on the last thread. Thanks Tim! Thanks PB
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.
    Damn, I wasn't expecting you to know who she was, so you'd ask me, and I'd post this

Xenia Onatopp Is a beautiful, seductive woman who derives sexual satisfaction from killing, she is a classic and quite literal femme fatale. In one scene, she lures a Canadian admiral, Chuck Farrell, onto a yacht moored off Monte Carlo and, engaging in violent sexual intercourse, suffocates him to death by squeezing her legs around him incredibly hard; she moans in pleasure as he moans in pain, and reaches orgasm as he dies. Meanwhile, a fellow operative (General Arkady Grigorovich Ourumov) steals his NATO ID, granting them access to a Eurocopter Tiger aboard a French warship anchored off Monte Carlo.

That depends on your definition of safe sex.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.

I couldn't possibly comment on whether there are any similarities, other than the "beautiful seductive woman" of course.....

:)

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited May 2016
    tlg86 said:

Maybe because right now he's at least the second most successful Chairman of the 20 Premier League football clubs and probably more importantly, the most successful of the London based clubs. Compare and contrast with his counterparts at say Chelsea and Arsenal.
  • Options

JackW said:

Leicester!

I think I'm going to get an email around 8 am tomorrow morning from Mike asking me to a thread.
    Obviously it must be the AV thread ....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Snap! So am I - probably in July, for work.
    THis is work as well. A visit to Yad Vashem (in August, it will be hot)!

I was toying with the idea of visiting some Biblical sites as well, for teaching New Testament studies next year. However, I'm not sure I can afford an extended visit.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.

My definition of safe sex is using a padded headboard.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.

This time, Mr. TSE, the pleasure will be all mine.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.

Keeping your shoes on in case a sharp exit is required.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mos

Googl

Why bring the Holocaust into the discussion ? There are hundreds of other links you could have referred to .
    The only thing I had ever heard about metapedia, (the number 2 source Google, in all its wisdom, felt was the most relevant to the term you advised use to Google) was that it peddled far right conspiracy theories, in particular about the Holocaust. So I searched for it to see if it was the case.

Perhaps you shouldn't have asked people to Google the term if you didn't want them to have a look at what Google regards as one of the most relevant pages/sources about the term - one thing we can all agree on, we should not begin to doubt Google's algorithms.

But even conspiracy nuts can have a point - I'm willing to have a look at this Sayanim business, if you have a more credible seeming source, which I'm sure you do

Plus, with all this Hitler talk out of nowhere in the last few days, such things are on my mind more than they usually would.

It's an interesting resouce - it's fun to see where what is probably wikipedia copied text is added to.

Here's the ones from the political parties

The Labour Party is a Jewish controlled political party in the United Kingdom founded on February 15, 1906.

The Conservative and Unionist Party is today a liberal political party and the largest in terms of sitting Members of Parliament (MPs), as well as public membership, and the oldest political party in the United Kingdom....For at least five decades the Party has moved to the Left. Most of it's supporters are middle-class people across England who, because the party has continued using the title "conservative", imagine that it still stands for Toryism and traditional conservative values

The United Kingdom Liberal Democrats Party, commonly referred to as the LibDems are the original party of The Left in Britain, but are said by the UK media and sympathisers to be "centrist" and socially liberal.

UKIP is essentially the Conservative Party as it was before the raging liberals took it over
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Mr Eagles, really!

This is a family blog.

Keeping your shoes on in case a sharp exit is required.
    Excuse me, that is almost as bad as keeping your socks on......

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mos

Googl

The only thing I had ever heard about metapedia, (the number 2 source Google, in all its wisdom, felt was the most relevant to the term you advised use to Google) was that it peddled far right conspiracy theories, in particular about the Holocaust. So I searched for it to see if it was the case.

Perhaps you shouldn't have asked people to Google the term if you didn't want them to have a look at what Google regards as one of the most relevant pages/sources about the term - one thing we can all agree on, we should begin to doubt Google's algorithms.

Plus, with all this Hitler talk out of nowhere in the last few days, such things are on my mind more than they usually would.

It's an interesting resouce - it's fun to see where what is probably wikipedia copied text is added to.

Here's the ones from the political parties

The Labour Party is a Jewish controlled political party in the United Kingdom founded on February 15, 1906.

The Conservative and Unionist Party is today a liberal political party and the largest in terms of sitting Members of Parliament (MPs), as well as public membership, and the oldest political party in the United Kingdom....For at least five decades the Party has moved to the Left. Most of it's supporters are middle-class people across England who, because the party has continued using the title "conservative", imagine that it still stands for Toryism and traditional conservative values

The United Kingdom Liberal Democrats Party, commonly referred to as the LibDems are the original party of The Left in Britain, but are said by the UK media and sympathisers to be "centrist" and socially liberal.

UKIP is essentially the Conservative Party as it was before the raging liberals took it over
    Two correct facts and poor punctuation? Was it written by Mr Wisemann?

More seriously, it was clearly written by an American. They have real difficulty understanding that the Conservatives have a longer history than the Democrats.
This discussion has been closed.