Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited May 2016 in General

imageUndefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I'm sure that the last paragraph's correct re the selectorate but are there enough willing MPs who will act as nominee for McDonnell? One for Nick Palmer, perhaps.

The final sentence is the faintest of praise as well.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Eu Commissioners stop Boaty McBoatface

• Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Leicester Liz or is she deemed out of the running?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    50/1 on John McDonnell coming home would be very sweet.

But the Labour party needs a unifier and who else but Ed Miliband to perform that role? My 200/1 bet might not be unconnected with that recommendation.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,999
    I agree, McDonnell could be Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS, a big job in the Shadow Cabinet and a candidate who could plausibly win a ballot of the present Labour membership. If Khan wins Corbyn will be safe though, a by-election loss to UKIP is what could topple him
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    If it's only 37 per cent for Corbyn-type candidates, the markets must be pricing a high probability that Corbyn will not leave any time soon; probably, not before the next general election.
  • Options

But the Labour party needs a unifier and who else but Ed Miliband to perform that role? My 200/1 bet might not be unconnected with that recommendation.

That would be like the Tories picking Hague after IDS, Corbyn may turn off swing voters but he has rallied the base, Ed Miliband turned off swing voters and failed to enthuse the base
  • Options
    RobC said:

Leicester Liz or is she deemed out of the running?

After her triumphant 4.5% last time I think Liz may be better off running for the Tory leadership when Dave goes, she would probably at least get double figures!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Lisa Nandy. 20%? I don't get it. What has she done to be a contender? You can sort of, maybe, just about, see a case for Starmer or Jarvis. But even then, that's a stretch.

You need a candidate, who has demonstrated in opposition that they can make an impact and ideally land a blow.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    On the grounds that Labour nowadays only ever select a candidate more left-wing and more electorally unappealing than his predecessor, it has to be McDonnell.

OTOH, I do like Alastair's suggestion of Ed Miliband. His leadership now seems to be viewed within the party like a golden period of competence and success, he seems generally without enemies, and he could be viewed as a unity candidate.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    "Currently my money’s on John McDonnell"

Surely this is why there won't be a challenge? The mainstream can't move until the left - all of the left - is discredited.
  • Options
    Would McDonnell get nominated? He's less popular in the PLP than Corbyn.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Hah! Really?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Cookie said:

On the grounds that Labour nowadays only ever select a candidate more left-wing and more electorally unappealing than his predecessor, it has to be McDonnell.

OTOH, I do like Alastair's suggestion of Ed Miliband. His leadership now seems to be viewed within the party like a golden period of competence and success, he seems generally without enemies, and he could be viewed as a unity candidate.

I kind of miss Ed...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jonathan: estimated declaration times from the PA.

http://election.pressassociation.com/declaration_times.php
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Jonathan said:

Lisa Nandy. 20%? I don't get it. What has she done to be a contender? You can sort of, maybe, just about, see a case for Starmer or Jarvis. But even then, that's a stretch.

You need a candidate, who has demonstrated in opposition that they can make an impact and ideally land a blow.

Heidi Alexander?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,841
    FPT, the Euro. The principle behind currency unions is very late Victorian. Namely, if a country becomes uncompetitive, the best thing that can happen is that unemployment rises, wages fall, and people who can't find work should emigrate. Devaluation is wicked, and stops people from being reformed, for their own good. Curiously, many left wingers now subscribe to this point of view.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Cookie said:

There would be a stick-it-to-the-Man appeal to re-electing Ed, perhaps.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    AndyJS said:

Some of those estimated times look plain wrong . Chorley is always amongst the first councils to declare - small wards mainly straight Con/Lab fights , Tamworth similarly the same .
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Corbyn got nominated
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Indeed, it needs to be frontrank Shadow Cabinet pre 2020
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited May 2016

I don't think it's most ridiculous idea. If Miliband was leader now he would be making hay with the troubles the government is currently inflicting upon itself. That's not to say he'd do any better in 2020 than in 2015, but he could make life uncomfortable for the Tories.

As an aside on the elections in Woking today (specifically the St Johns Ward), I've noticed quite a few Lib Dem boards up around where I live. They always used to have a strong presence but they had almost disappeared last year when they lost a seat in the ward. I suspect they may feel more invigorated to back the party having seen the way the Tories have governed on their own. I'm not sure you can go as far as to call them green shoots, but I suspect at the local level at least the Lib Dems will make something of a recovery over next few years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn got nominated
    Yes, but that lesson may have been learnt!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Wanderer said:

Cookie said:

There would be a stick-it-to-the-Man appeal to re-electing Ed, perhaps.
    And the Tories can go for IDS, why not?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Some of those estimated times look plain wrong . Chorley is always amongst the first councils to declare - small wards mainly straight Con/Lab fights , Tamworth similarly the same .
    I agree some of them look a bit unlikely.
  • Options
    Ed. We know where that story ends. A 10ft tombstone. Never again, lovely though he is.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

It is now Das Boot von Bootface by order of the EU high command?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn got nominated
    Just. And because some in the PLP went funny. They learnt that lesson. Surely.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    HYUFD said:

I agree, McDonnell could be Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS, a big job in the Shadow Cabinet and a candidate who could plausibly win a ballot of the present Labour membership. If Khan wins Corbyn will be safe though, a by-election loss to UKIP is what could topple him

You surely mean Hilary Benn?
  • Options

It is now Das Boot von Bootface by order of the EU high command?
    Oh for that like button
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Are there any left wing Labour MP's who are ex RUC Jewish MI5 agents who know the words to the national anthem?

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Keir Stamer is the man to lead Labour to success.
    The public would like his persona and background.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Jonathan said:

Starmer could probably cut it as a possible PM. Whether he could cut it as a Labour leader is a different matter. Not entirely sure what the criteria are for that these days though.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn got nominated
    Nope ....
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

You surely mean Hilary Benn?
    Hilary Benn is the only other plausible alternative but his Syria vote may have blacked his card with the present membership. Howard was the only realistic alternative to IDS as ideologically they were almost identical, it was competence which was the key difference, so the same may hold true for McDonnell and Corbyn
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

He seems dull to me, Chuka is the man in all likelihood but not until after the 2020 election
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Are there any left wing Labour MP's who are ex RUC Jewish MI5 agents who know the words to the national anthem?

Jezza is just such a deep sleeper mole. I heard it on Finchley rd so it must be true.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn got nominated
    Given the size of Corbyn's mandate with the membership the MPs cannot pick a leader before the next election who does not ideologically fit in the same bracket as Corbyn without igniting a civil war
  • Options
    Stephen Kinnock must be worth a shout after 2020 , to go one better than his father.
    He must have ambitions to be near the top of the party at some stage.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    Scottish Labour just phoned to ask to confirm that I had voted. I told them I had. I may be speaking to my better half when she gets home.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scottish Labour just phoned to ask to confirm that I had voted. I told them I had. I may be speaking to my better half when she gets home.

Tell me you live in Devon.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    tlg86 said:

I don't think it's most ridiculous idea. If Miliband was leader now he would be making hay with the troubles the government is currently inflicting upon itself. That's not to say he'd do any better in 2020 than in 2015, but he could make life uncomfortable for the Tories.
    That's debateable. Corbyn tonight might possibly outperform Miliband on their respective first sets of local elections tonight: if Labour tie with or beat the Conservatives on the national vote share, then that will be better than their loss to the Tories by 1% in 2011.
  • Options
    I'm not currently betting on next Labour leader but if I were tempted in it would be to lay people that have no chance, such as David Miliband, or next to no chance, such as Hilary Benn.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Great start from Liverpool!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

"Currently my money’s on John McDonnell"

Surely this is why there won't be a challenge? The mainstream can't move until the left - all of the left - is discredited.

Perhaps so. It certainly does seem to me that to speak of 'unifying' the Labour party after what has been happening, is akin to wishing to unify the ship's biscuit with the weevils.

It's true the 'weevils' only surfaced by accident, but is it a good thing to re-unite with them knowingly?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited May 2016
    Ed Miliband is currently best-priced at 200/1 with SkyBET and Ladbrokes to be the next leader of the Labour party. Unlikely yes, but there are worse bets to be had, far worse, including most of the other so-called top contenders for this job. Were Corbyn's resignation/removal be delayed by another 12 months or more, the likes of Ed might well become one of the favourites offering at the very least a satisfying trade out opportunity on Betfair.
    I've had a couple of quid's worth for old times sake.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

He seems dull to me, Chuka is the man in all likelihood but not until after the 2020 election
    Chuka does not give me any confidence after his last abortive attempt.
    If he withdrew last time because he could not stand the harsh light of publicity, what has changed for next time.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Jonathan said:

Quite. If we're going to return to "moderates" then I'd rather have Harman, Johnson or Benn. I might not agree with everything they've done, but atleast I know roughly what I'd get from them in policy terms, and they've proven themselves to atleast be semi-competent in terms of media performance and general political skills.

I'm sick of the Nandys, Kendalls, Umunnas, Reeveses and Jarvises being put forward before they've done, or even said, anything relevant or interesting. Or shown they have any basic political skills or any sort of proven appeal to the general public, to compensate for the less-than-ideal policy stances.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The whole of Rotherham council is up for election due to the recent problems there. It was supposed to be a third up for election each year.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Chuka does not give me any confidence after his last abortive attempt.
    If he withdrew last time because he could not stand the harsh light of publicity, what has changed for next time.
    He was too young last time and clearly even he could see the circumstances were not right for a Labour victory in 2020, if Labour fails to win in 2020 he will likely walk the leadership and the 2025 general election too
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Quite. If we're going to return to "moderates" then I'd rather have Harman, Johnson or Benn. I might not agree with everything they've done, but atleast I know roughly what I'd get from them in policy terms, and they've proven themselves to atleast be semi-competent in terms of media performance and general political skills.

I'm sick of the Nandys, Kendalls, Umunnas, Reeveses and Jarvises being put forward before they've done, or even said, anything relevant or interesting. Or shown they have any basic political skills or any sort of proven appeal to the general public, to compensate for the less-than-ideal policy stances.
    Has Burnham a chance again after his work on getting the enquiry for Hillsborough ?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    John McDonnell has already run for Labour leadership twice and flopped on both occassions.
    He's a nasty chippy thug with health issues.
    No.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Has Burnham a chance again after his work on getting the enquiry for Hillsborough ?
    I doubt it - and I say that as someone who voted for him last year.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Wanderer said:

I'm not currently betting on next Labour leader but if I were tempted in it would be to lay people that have no chance, such as David Miliband, or next to no chance, such as Hilary Benn.

Shhhhhhhh.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Yorkcity said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Burnham is the David Davis of the Labour Party, he was also Shadow Home Secretary under IDS, so probably not
  • Options
    edited May 2016

John McDonnell has already run for Labour leadership twice and flopped on both occassions.
    He's a nasty chippy thug with health issues.
    No.

No, he ran once in 2007 when Brown would not allow him on the ballot paper. He does not need to appeal to the likes of you, he does need to appeal to the Labour membership and enough Labour MPs
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Yorkcity said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Hillsborough is about the only thing on which Burnham has ever had a settled view - and he was indifferent until the day he turned up to the memorial service in 2009 expecting to be welcomed as sports minister but got heckled off stage. Since that day though, he was a great ambassador for his city in getting the fresh inquests.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Jonathan said:

Possibly not, and that is probably why Corbyn wont stand down until after the GE, when there will be a batch of MPs. Of course he may be able to change the nomination proses, or get more supper left MPs at By-elections.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Wanderer said:

Shhhhhhhh.
    It'll be a woman. Labour's pathetic nature demands one.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Shhhhhhhh.
    We've all heard the story of the old woman with the basket of David Miliband betting slips - somebody stole the basket ...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Jonathan said:

Heidi Alexander?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Heidi Alexander?
    I don't think she's been especially impressive TBH, given the opportunity she's had during the doctors' strike. I've barely noticed her.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

Tell me you live in Devon.
    No, Dundee. But my wife denies everything so I don't know where their database is coming from.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    This is exactly why we need to vote leave in 7 weeks time:

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/europes-current-economy/euro-collapsing-thanks-to-another-brain-dead-eu-proposal/

Trying to maintain something by force, like this measure does, is like the thinking behind the Berlin Wall. You'd think politicians would learn from history, and realise that this measure will only cause much embitterment, and not have a hope in hell of working. You'd be hoping for too much as far as the EU is concerned!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Not Harman. She - rather than those who nominated him - bears responsibility for Corbyn's election as a result of her maladroit response to Osborne's July Budget.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Heidi Alexander?
    I don't think she's been especially impressive TBH, given the opportunity she's had during the doctors' strike. I've barely noticed her.
    Agreed. If you compare to Blair, Brown or Cook in 1994, they had circa 5 years front bench experience under their belt and had proved they could make an impact and cause damage from opposition.

Benn is the closest IMO. He makes an impact.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The whole of Rotherham council is up for election due to the recent problems there. It was supposed to be a third up for election each year.

Hertsmere changed from 3rds to all up last year.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,219
    Glos police investigating alleged electoral fraud. By election in Cheltenham? I'm hearing Lib Dems set to do well there tonight, so could be very interesting if anything did come out of the investigation. That government majority might yet evaporate before 2020...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Heidi Alexander?
    Agreed. If you compare to Blair, Brown or Cook in 1994, they had circa 5 years front bench experience under their belt and had proved they could make an impact and cause damage from opposition.

Cameron had less than 1 year on the frontbench when he became leader
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Heidi Alexander?

Yes. He also could have done with more experience.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    Cicero said:

Glos police investigating alleged electoral fraud. By election in Cheltenham? I'm hearing Lib Dems set to do well there tonight, so could be very interesting if anything did come out of the investigation. That government majority might yet evaporate before 2020...

Couple or three proven electoral frauds and Cameron's credibility will be gone, let alone his majority.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Danny565 said:

Yorkcity said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Yes same here , I voted for Burnham, in 2015 and 10.
    Not a member of the party but got a vote through Union affilation.

I did not use my vote today , in the PCC elections as I do not agree with the concept of politicians running the police.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Heidi Alexander?

Yes. He also could have done with more experience.
    Did not stop him winning 2 elections, his predecessor lost the 2005 election despite having a wealth of experience
  • Options
    I can see the argument that John McDonnell would appeal to the same membership as elected Corbyn but surely the Labour MPs would not make the same mistake again.

On the other hand I agree that Benn is not a runner because the membership would hate it.

I feel that Labour will have to roll the dice again and just hope someone inexperienced from the next generation can step up to the plate. Its a big ask. The Tories got very lucky with Cameron. Most experiments of that type do not go so well.
  • Options
    George Eaton saying Labour are expecting to lose around 100 seats tonight.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    John McDonnell is a far superior performer to Jeremy Corbyn.

I have up until today been a staunch Conservative voter, however since voting Conservative for the last time in the 2015 General Election I have slowly but surely moved toward the Labour party. I voted Labour in the local elections and Labour as my first choice for PPC, I chose the Lib Dems for my second vote.

The Conservatives under Cameron and Osborne are not One Nation Conservatives but rather Thatcherites of the most extreme order. The punitive cost of their administration on the poor and vulnerable has forced me to cross the Rubicon from Tory voter to Labour supporter despite the Corbyn takeover. I don’t like Corbyn’s defence policy or his immigration free for all. However, I thought voting Labour sends a better signal to the two chumps in Downing street than spoiling my ballot.

So, I took the bull by the horns today and thought in my own way to mount a solitary signal to Cameron and Osborne, which is F**k You! You have failed and are useless pair who need to be removed asap.

I did think about saving my protest until the European referendum, however I see no advantage in exit so I thought I would get my little protest in first and vote to remain in the EU later.

Democracy is a beautiful thing!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,219

Cicero said:

Couple or three proven electoral frauds and Cameron's credibility will be gone, let alone his majority.
    Prima Facie, it looks very bad indeed for the Tories: could indeed be a major game changer...
  • Options
    Cicero said:

According to Guido, it is up for the individual forces to apply for an extension to the time allowed for investigation. The number of forces which apply for this will give us a sense of how realistic this prospect is. I think it is quite unlikely.
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 4m4 minutes ago
    Labour source fears "up to 10 losses" in Sheffield.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Roger said:

Yes - but they don't own a tie....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I can see the argument that John McDonnell would appeal to the same membership as elected Corbyn but surely the Labour MPs would not make the same mistake again.

On the other hand I agree that Benn is not a runner because the membership would hate it.

I feel that Labour will have to roll the dice again and just hope someone inexperienced from the next generation can step up to the plate. Its a big ask. The Tories got very lucky with Cameron. Most experiments of that type do not go so well.

Labour obviously cannot go with anyone less experienced until after the general election, it will have to be a big hitter as Michael Howard was for the Tories in 2003. After the election a younger candidate can take over and after a few election defeats younger candidates often turn out winners, Blair, Cameron, Obama Trudeau etc, even Thatcher was thought inexperienced when she first became leader
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Come on Sheffield Tory Surge!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    How is Whittle vs Berry vs yellow peril looking
  • Options
    Welcome to PB Taxman (even though you are a traitorous ex Tory voter...)!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Tories haven't won seats in Sheffield in donkey's years.

Losses will presumably be to UKIP, and possibly one or two to the Greens.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    London anecdote: Labour not seen in Tooting until 6 pm! Tories still think they have a chance of Mayoral.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Doughnut turning out. Inner isn't.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Tories haven't won seats in Sheffield in donkey's years.

Losses will presumably be to UKIP, and possibly one or two to the Greens.
    Surgers don't listen to doomsayers like yourself!
  • Options
    Can't figure out if @Dixie is trolling us or not, especially after the pint/bollywood discussions! That, or they are a very good sport :D
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Polo mint.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    RobD said:

Cicero said:

According to Guido, it is up for the individual forces to apply for an extension to the time allowed for investigation. The number of forces which apply for this will give us a sense of how realistic this prospect is. I think it is quite unlikely.
    There has to be something more than the BattleBus tour for anything to proceed. Any impact - even if it did fall foul of expenses law - would surely be de minimis.
  • Options

Dixie said:

Polo mint.
    Cockney slang?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,350

Jonathan said:

Starmer could probably cut it as a possible PM. Whether he could cut it as a Labour leader is a different matter. Not entirely sure what the criteria are for that these days though.
    Other than Watson - who'd likely be a Howard-esque caretaker, attempting to repair the party, Nandy is the only one of those up top who could unite the softer/saner Corbynites with the rest of the party and its MPs. She's on the left economically but has no truck with the Marxist delusions which turn Corbyn's platform from one MPs might bite their tongues and agree with, to one they morally cannot bring themselves defend. She's also a competent media performer, but funnily enough has largely been kept off the airwaves since giving plausible, honest answers which contradicted the leader's waffle until popping up again to force him to do the decent thing over Naz Shah. She's also got a biography to die for, being a plain speaking half-Indian woman from Wigan who worked extensively for charities before taking up politics. I wouldn't underestimate the appeal to the membership of a northern woman given how stupid the party of equality would look facing a top Tory team of say, May and Javid with a bunch of pale, male North London pensioners. The problem is if she wields, or is even remotely seen to wield the knife, she loses the key attribute she has over other candidates - being able to offer Corbynites a leader they can accept who might stand a chance of winning and implement their more coherent economic ideas. Benn is a no-go due to Syria. Can you see a party membership who saw an extension of airstrikes against ISIS as a war crime voting for an ex-soldier? Starmer might work but is a bit too dry and Watson will probably have to dirty his hands in any coup.

The only way out of the current Mexican stand-off which will eventually kill the party is to trigger a contest, with say Jarvis standing backed by the right and act as an attack dog, let the unions and the soft left who are aware of Corbyn's shortcomings (but hate Tony Blair too much to care) know that the non-Corbynite MPs and members are prepared for the MAD of a split because morally they can't be in a Corbynite party. However there is a way out - backing Nandy as a unity candidate on a pro-trident, anti-austerity platform and dispensing with the sidetracking nonsense. Jarvis then pulls out due to 'lack of support' and you're in business. Off the top of my head she's the only front rank Labour politician who's plausible in that role - hence her low odds.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Danny565 said:

Sheffield is difficult to gauge because new wards are coming into force today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electoral_wards_in_South_Yorkshire
  • Options

I have up until today been a staunch Conservative voter, however since voting Conservative for the last time in the 2015 General Election I have slowly but surely moved toward the Labour party. I voted Labour in the local elections and Labour as my first choice for PPC, I chose the Lib Dems for my second vote.

The Conservatives under Cameron and Osborne are not One Nation Conservatives but rather Thatcherites of the most extreme order. The punitive cost of their administration on the poor and vulnerable has forced me to cross the Rubicon from Tory voter to Labour supporter despite the Corbyn takeover. I don’t like Corbyn’s defence policy or his immigration free for all. However, I thought voting Labour sends a better signal to the two chumps in Downing street than spoiling my ballot.

So, I took the bull by the horns today and thought in my own way to mount a solitary signal to Cameron and Osborne, which is F**k You! You have failed and are useless pair who need to be removed asap.

I did think about saving my protest until the European referendum, however I see no advantage in exit so I thought I would get my little protest in first and vote to remain in the EU later.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions (and the more the merrier, welcome) but I find your position very hard to follow. The National Living wage, the increases in personal allowances taking the bottom 40% out of tax, the reversal of the cuts in WTC, the real term increases in NHS spending, I could go on.

This administration is criticised fiercely from the right (and that was before the splits in Europe). It is claimed they did not cut enough, that they have increased taxes on the better off too much by the extra taxes on BTL etc, that they are far too soft and really Liberals in a poor disguise. How anyone can claim they are "Thatcherites of the most extreme order" is really beyond me. But welcome anyway.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cicero said:

There has to be something more than the BattleBus tour for anything to proceed. Any impact - even if it did fall foul of expenses law - would surely be de minimis.
    Yeah, I would have though it would be a fine, and potentially a tightening up of the legislation.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Hello Taxman. Something doesn't quite ring true your virgin post true but I love it all the same.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Dutch commentators - no idea what theyre saying but not impressed with the filthy Sodaldo methinks
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Just back from voting in the locals / spoiling in the PCC. Looks like turnout in central Leeds is piss poor.

People more interested in visiting the pub than the polling station.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dutch commentators - no idea what theyre saying but not impressed with the filthy Sodaldo methinks

Did you just hear the phrase "Tory scum"? :p
This discussion has been closed.