Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Exactly six weeks to go to the day that Britain decides on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited May 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Exactly six weeks to go to the day that Britain decides on its future in Europe

After a period when referendum polls were coming out almost everyday there’s suddenly been a lull in the number of polls being published. It is now May 12th and just three surveys have come out where the fieldwork has taken place in May. All of them have been online. The last phone poll was completed on April 26th.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    一番最初
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Second!

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    harpsichord balderdash penguin bubblegum sideways
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Glorious fourth!
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited May 2016
    PollingMatters would do well to have some Leavers aboard. The discussion rarely manages to detach itself from the participants bias. Often just an echo chamber. Bit of a waste of a potentially illuminating format.
  • Options
    utterly off topic, but an interesting story

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.557024

I was led here by the glorious BBC (a podcast), by the way :)
  • Options
    and the PB podcast was good too!
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

PollingMatters would do well to have some Leavers aboard. The discussion rarely manages to detach itself from the participants bias. Often just an echo chamber. Bit of a waste of a potentially illuminating format.

I thought they were quite open about their affiliations, but were fairly even-handed. what did you object to, or what did they miss out?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    shiney2 said:

Will there be consequences?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm disappointed that in their epic meltdown Vote Leave didn't manage to namecheck the Bloods, the Crips and the KKK. Put more effort into it!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    45 days before the referendum commenced Dave inferred that WW3 would ensue if we voted leave. History does repeat itself then so it's "45 days to save the UK !"
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

45 days before the referendum commenced Dave inferred that WW3 would ensue if we voted leave. History does repeat itself then so it's "45 days to save the UK !"

Who said we'd lose? And they complain about remainers talking Britain down... :D
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited May 2016
    JohnLoony said:

Indeed.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Have you got a Mecha?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited May 2016
    Is it too early for news today?

The media are talking to themselves about some BBC changes that may or not be happening [I can't tell who's in charge after all of Osborne's meddling]. And ITV has bizarrely invited Farage to go against the PM in the debates.

Farage isn't a big wheel in the official Leave campaign. It's obviously inappropriate to stick him up against Cameron who is leading the official Remain team.

I don't mind Farage speaking and debating - but ITV shouldn't be playing around like this, and certainly shouldn't be dancing to Number 10, if that was indeed the case.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    For those interested in a history of the Eurovision song contest

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hello-Europe-Chris-West-ebook/dp/B00WZ901E4/ref=zg_bs_362335031_74
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953

The media are talking to themselves about some BBC changes that may or not be happening [I can't tell who's in charge after all of Osborne's meddling]. And ITV has bizarrely invited Farage to go against the PM in the debates.

Farage isn't a big wheel in the official Leave campaign. It's obviously inappropriate to stick him up against Cameron who is leading the official Remain team.

I don't mind Farage speaking and debating - but ITV shouldn't be playing around like this, and certainly shouldn't be dancing to Number 10, if that was indeed the case.

I believe that Gove has said he won't debate Cameron. I don't want Boris, because I think Cameron would destroy him.

In any case, given the way Farage took Clegg apart, I reckon he'll do a good job.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hello-Europe-Chris-West-ebook/dp/B00WZ901E4/ref=zg_bs_362335031_74

Second semifinal tonight euro-fans.
  • Options

another bbc podcast too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03t0m9g

"The Swedish Ambassador's Guide to Eurovision"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I believe that Gove has said he won't debate Cameron. I don't want Boris, because I think Cameron would destroy him.

In any case, given the way Farage took Clegg apart, I reckon he'll do a good job.
    I'm sure Nigel Farage will be technically decent at the job. The problem for Leave is that almost everyone who isn't already convinced by him hates him.

Would any Leave supporter, however, care to try to defend the Vote Leave response to this development?

http://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/730523672306429956/photo/1

Mad conspiracy theories and vague threats against a national broadcaster? It's not a good look.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Barratt Holmes on Sky really irritates me. Him and Sarah Jane Mee think that because they work for Sky it gives them a free pass to criticize the government. Well, actually it doesn't.

I'm not sure what to make of ITV going for Farage. If it is the case that Cameron wanted it to be him rather than Boris or Gove, that's quite interesting. ITV have said they will have another programme where they give Vote Leave time on TV, which probably gets them out of any legal trouble.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I'm sure Nigel Farage will be technically decent at the job. The problem for Leave is that almost everyone who isn't already convinced by him hates him.

Would any Leave supporter, however, care to try to defend the Vote Leave response to this development?

Mad conspiracy theories and vague threats against a national broadcaster? It's not a good look.
    That is a seriously over the top response from Leave.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I agree with you re Farage making the case well - I'm objecting as Leave are to ITV picking Farage without their endorsement. It's like asking a United fan to talk about Manchester on behalf of City.

Cameron being unwilling to debate head to head isn't a move I expected. I guess his mojo has taken a bit of a knock over the last couple of weeks. He's certainly piling up the *wrong sort of coverage*.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

rcs1000 said:

ttp://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/730523672306429956/photo/1

I don't think you're on strong ground to throw stones given you think PB has been infiltrated by agent provocateurs in the pay of foreign governments.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I agree with you re Farage making the case well - I'm objecting as Leave are to ITV picking Farage without their endorsement. It's like asking a United fan to talk about Manchester on behalf of City.

Cameron being unwilling to debate head to head isn't a move I expected. I guess his mojo has taken a bit of a knock over the last couple of weeks. He's certainly piling up the *wrong sort of coverage*.
    I think the Conservative Party is doing the right thing for the Conservative Party: i.e. not allowing two of its senior members to at each other hammer-and-tongs on TV.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I don't think you're on strong ground to throw stones given you think PB has been infiltrated by agent provocateurs in the pay of foreign governments.
    I gave you extensive direct evidence for my contention.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

rcs1000 said:

Well I would just ask why ITV thought it is acceptable to make one of their three headline programmes without a representative of the official campaign? To accept the PM's insistence that he would only join if he was debating a specific person?

It's not a conspiracy - it's clearly a commercial decision by ITV because they want "the big debate". But it's inappropriate
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

But don't worry, I'm confident that no one is paying you to spew your vapid bilge.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

There was a past poster who parroted pro-Putin propaganda, who only ever came to the site via Tor, and who was strangely uncontactable by email.

This was some time ago, mind, but I don't think it was an especially large leap to believe he/she/they were members of the Kremlin social media team.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Barratt Holmes on Sky really irritates me. Him and Sarah Jane Mee think that because they work for Sky it gives them a free pass to criticize the government. Well, actually it doesn't.

I'm not sure what to make of ITV going for Farage. If it is the case that Cameron wanted it to be him rather than Boris or Gove, that's quite interesting. ITV have said they will have another programme where they give Vote Leave time on TV, which probably gets them out of any legal trouble.
    Sky's presenters are an odd fish - they participate in discussions, give their opinions, interview guests and read out the news. I like the mix as it makes it a lot less sterile - but it does get them in hot water from time to time. Holmes had to apologise over something or other yesterday.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Charles said:

It's not a conspiracy - it's clearly a commercial decision by ITV because they want "the big debate". But it's inappropriate

ITV are a commercial TV station. In what sense is a commercial decision inappropriate?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

But don't worry, I'm confident that no one is paying you to spew your vapid bilge.
    MODERATORS

Please delete this post

Mr Meeks - you can, and should, be better than this
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

ITV are a commercial TV station. In what sense is a commercial decision inappropriate?
    Because it is the media becoming an active participant in the democratic process.

Vote Leave is the official campaign - it should be able to appoint its representative to the major debates of the referendum.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

rcs1000 said:

I gave you extensive direct evidence for my contention.
    And you still haven't named names. Come on - we're dying to know who they are.

EDIT and a bonus hissy fit before 7am. I am blessed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

rcs1000 said:

Well that's a new low for the site....
  • Options
    Charles said:

Because it is the media becoming an active participant in the democratic process.

Except it's not.

They made, as you said, a commercial decision.

You are proposing that an independent, commercial organisation should have abandoned those principles in favour of a political decision.

When politicians are dictating who can and can't appear on our screens that's a bad sign.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Vote Leave is the official campaign - it should be able to appoint its representative to the major debates of the referendum.
    I think you'll find the media become active participants all the time in the democratic process. Most of the print media even thinks it's acceptable to advise us who to vote for.

Fortunately, I just listen to the voices in my head. Much safer.
  • Options
    It is worth noting the venom with which the Brexiteers are attacking a decision to let Nigel Farage appear on TV.

They really do seem to think he is a loser for them
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Except it's not.

You are proposing that an independent, commercial organisation should have abandoned those principles in favour of a political decision.

When politicians are dictating who can and can't appear on our screens that's a bad sign.
    What nonsense - would you want ITV picking Gerry Adams to participate on behalf of Remain? It's the same thing.
  • Options

What nonsense - would you want ITV picking Gerry Adams to participate on behalf of Remain? It's the same thing.

I don't see any commercial benefit in that decision, nor would I watch the show, but I wouldn't throw a massive public hissy fit that makes me look scared of someone supposedly on my side
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Mad conspiracy theories and vague threats against a national broadcaster?

You mean how the Tories normally talk about the BBC?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MODERATORS

Please delete this post

Why? Mr Meeks is one the sensible and measured posters on here...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Except it's not.

That's just nonsense.

They want to produce a show - for good commercial reasons - that could have a material influence on the outcome of the referendum. As a result they need to engage with the official campaigns.

(It may also have escaped your notice, but in accepting the PM's refusal to appear against anyone but Farage, ITV is allowing one politician to dictate who appears on screens)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    rcs1000 said:

Here we go: the debate on the debates again.

I'd have thought Farage, Hannan/Boris and Gisela Stuart v. Clegg/Farron, Alan Johnson/Chukka Ummna and Osborne/Crabb would be fair. You could throw businessmen on each side too, if you liked: Theo Paphitis and Karen Brady, for example.

The trouble is that, without having a Conservative on both sides, the debate will tend to skew Conservative viewers in favour of the side that does.

I expect we're heading for something similar to GE2015: a 7-8-9 way debate with everyone on stage again, plus a few heavy interview and audience Q&A again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It is worth noting the venom with which the Brexiteers are attacking a decision to let Nigel Farage appear on TV.

Alas you're wrong - Farage is very good on the TV most of the time. As Robert noted, he dismembered Clegg. Your guy talked about going to WAR!!! It's become a running joke to blame everything on Brexit.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

I think you'll find the media become active participants all the time in the democratic process. Most of the print media even thinks it's acceptable to advise us who to vote for.

I disagree. Newspapers are just noises off - another recommendation.

The debates - as we saw in the 2010 and 2015 election - can have a material impact on the overall campaign. That makes them a different category.

Personally I think the shape and participants should be regulated.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Which foreign potentate is seeking to influence the course of PB below-the-line debates? A heinous crime!

On the other hand, OGH will rightly be proud his site has been targeted in this fashion. :D
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MODERATORS

Please delete this post

Why? Mr Meeks is one the sensible and measured posters on here...
    Because it was an unpleasant, personal and unnecessary post. Even the best slip from time to time, and on this occasion he did.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Except it's not.

I'm not sure I'd compare Farage (the leader of Britain's third most popular political party, and which won the European elections) with Gerry Adams.
  • Options
    Charles said:

They want to produce a show - for good commercial reasons - that could have a material influence on the outcome of the referendum. As a result they need to engage with the official campaigns.

What's the phrase? That's just nonsense.

They want to produce a show - for good commercial reasons. That's it. They are a commercial organisation, that made a commercial decision.

"could have a material influence on the outcome of the referendum. As a result they need to engage with the official campaigns."

You still want them to make a political decision. That's nonsense
    Charles said:

(It may also have escaped your notice, but in accepting the PM's refusal to appear against anyone but Farage, ITV is allowing one politician to dictate who appears on screens)

That's nonsense. It may also have escaped your notice but Gove is appearing on our screens, against the PM, on another channel.

Are you really so scared that Farage is going to cock it up, again?
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

The debates - as we saw in the 2010 and 2015 election - can have a material impact on the overall campaign. That makes them a different category.

Perhaps we should replace BBC Two with The Referendum Channel. Wall to wall coverage, with interviews, debates, polling, etc.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Here we go: the debate on the debates again.

I'd have thought Farage, Hannan/Boris and Gisela Stuart v. Clegg/Farron, Alan Johnson/Chukka Ummna and Osborne/Crabb would be fair. You could throw businessmen on each side too, if you liked: Theo Paphitis and Karen Brady, for example.

The trouble is that, without having a Conservative on both sides, the debate will tend to skew Conservative viewers in favour of the side that does.

I expect we're heading for something similar to GE2015: a 7-8-9 way debate with everyone on stage again, plus a few heavy interview and audience Q&A again.
    That's an interesting take - I'm not quite seeing why a multi-participant would be appropriate. What angle are you thinking of?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    JohnLoony said:

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304

rcs1000 said:

I read somewhere (can't find the link) that of all the interviewees Radio 4 had invited onto its programmes to discuss the European Union, the vast majority of interviews about the subject were with Remainers. Of those that weren't, Farage totally dominated.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that, amongst mainstream media broadcasters, they (still) view Leaving the European as an eccentric and fringe position, and because they think Farage is its spiritual leader (and he's good audiovisual copy) he's the token individual they must occasionally be obliged to invite to vent about it.

The fact the population is split 50:50 - and its debate neutrality, not party political neutrality - that should be their remit here to properly inform the public seems to escape them.
  • Options

Alas you're wrong - Farage is very good on the TV most of the time.

So you should be happy he is getting more airtime then.

Strangely, not feeling the love this morning...
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

Which foreign potentate is seeking to influence the course of PB below-the-line debates? A heinous crime!

On the other hand, OGH will rightly be proud his site has been targeted in this fashion. :D

Richard Tyndall is just a pseudonym for Jean Claude Juncker. On the even of the poll, "Richard Tyndall" will announce a Damascene conversion to Remain, and (it is hoped by the EU elites) pull a number of genuine Leavers over to Remain.

Really, if you haven't worked out their plan, there's no hope for you.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

rcs1000 said:

Classy. Real classy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Richard Tyndall is just a pseudonym for Jean Claude Juncker. On the even of the poll, "Richard Tyndall" will announce a Damascene conversion to Remain, and (it is hoped by the EU elites) pull a number of genuine Leavers over to Remain.

Really, if you haven't worked out their plan, there's no hope for you.
    :o

My gob has literally been smacked.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

I agree with you here - I'm not generally in favour of regulation, but debates have a huge impact on public perceptions, both themselves and the resultant coverage. We're in a reasonable position now to know the up and downsides of various formats/number of debates/timing/audience participation.

Debates have become part of the landscape - they need to be treated in the same way as PEB et al.
  • Options
    The state of the Brexiteers this morning is fascinating.

One of the most prominent figures on their side of the argument is getting the highest profile coverage possible and their reaction?

WE NEED REGULATION TO PREVENT THIS HAPPENING !!!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I read somewhere (can't find the link) that of all the interviewees Radio 4 had invited onto its programmes to discuss the European Union, the vast majority of interviews about the subject were with Remainers. Of those that weren't, Farage totally dominated.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that, amongst mainstream media broadcasters, they (still) view Leaving the European as an eccentric and fringe position, and because they think Farage is its spiritual leader (and he's good audiovisual copy) he's the token individual they must occasionally be obliged to invite to vent about it.

The fact the population is split 50:50 - and its debate neutrality, not party political neutrality - that should be their remit here to properly inform the public seems to escape them.
    I saw that too - bugger - wish I could remember where. The stats were astonishing. I recall Hannan saying several times, he was only invited on if he'd play the fringe-person opinion - when he said he wouldn't, the BBC stopped calling.
  • Options
    Boris and Gove need to disassociate themselves pronto from the lunatic who sent out that email last night. After Redwood's attack on Cameron, there is a pattern emerging here. It looks like the Tory right are increasingly seeing this campaign as a direct means of getting rid of Cameron.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Except it's not.

Of course - though it would be equally bad for the media to determine who can and can't appear on the screens, particularly during a referendum / election campaign. The electronic media is supposed to be impartial and unbiased. Whether or not you think that's a good thing is beside the point (FWIW, I think the time for that requirement - that of the one-/two-provider era - has passed and there's no reason that radio and TV shouldn't be able to have editorial opinions, the same as the print media).

If ITV wants a set-piece debate between Leave and Remain, that is absolutely their right. But if it's going to market it as such, it needs to have buy-in from the two sides. It would be misleading to get two blokes from down the pub to put the case - or one formal representative and some other makeweight. Once they've issued the invites to the two sides, it's for the campaigns to nominate someone. If one side declines to participate, then, perhaps, there is a case for the media organisation to come up with an appropriate substitute (with only two sides, the option of empty-chairing can't apply).

Farage is the leader of UKIP: he should absolutely have a role in the media coverage of the referendum on the subject his party was created for. But he is not the head of Leave and unless appointed otherwise, is not an official spokesman for it. The Conservative Party is officially neutral in the debate so he shouldn't be debating Cameron as leader of that - as Cameron cannot speak on behalf of his party.

Either we have rules about election coverage or we don't. Given that we do have them, it's not necessarily open to ITV, or anyone else, to simply make 'a commercial decision' on an election programme.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

What's the phrase? That's just nonsense.

They want to produce a show - for good commercial reasons. That's it. They are a commercial organisation, that made a commercial decision.

"could have a material influence on the outcome of the referendum. As a result they need to engage with the official campaigns."

You still want them to make a political decision. That's nonsense
    Charles said:

That's nonsense. It may also have escaped your notice but Gove is appearing on our screens, against the PM, on another channel.

Are you really so scared that Farage is going to cock it up, again?
    A set piece TV debate is a major piece of the campaign furniture. The terms of the debate should be agreed with both official campaigns.

I am not aware that Gove is appearing head-to-head against the PM on another channel - perhaps you can provide details as I am sure that a lot of people on here would like to watch it

But you are not able to rise above tribal cheering and think through the implications of ITVs decision for future elections, so I can't be bothered to waste any more time on your education
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Straight out of the SNP playbook. "There will be consequences". FFS.

• Options

Either we have rules about election coverage or we don't. Given that we do have them, it's not necessarily open to ITV, or anyone else, to simply make 'a commercial decision' on an election programme.

It's not an election
  • Options
    Charles said:

think through the implications of ITVs decision for future elections, so I can't be bothered to waste any more time on your education

It's not an election
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Farage is a good debater but he is a distinctly marmite character who appeals most to those already committed to Leave. This vote is not about them, it is about the undecided.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

think through the implications of ITVs decision for future elections, so I can't be bothered to waste any more time on your education

It's not an election
    Think you have a killer point do you?

Run along.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    Scott_P said:

I will honestly say I think it could go either way. On present form I veer toward it not going well with Nige sadly, though on his day he can be amazing.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Run along.

How can you tell if someone has a "killer point" in an on-line discussion?

When an opponent tells them to "run along"...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Except it's not.

Of course - though it would be equally bad for the media to determine who can and can't appear on the screens, particularly during a referendum / election campaign. The electronic media is supposed to be impartial and unbiased. Whether or not you think that's a good thing is beside the point (FWIW, I think the time for that requirement - that of the one-/two-provider era - has passed and there's no reason that radio and TV shouldn't be able to have editorial opinions, the same as the print media).

If ITV wants a set-piece debate between Leave and Remain, that is absolutely their right. But if it's going to market it as such, it needs to have buy-in from the two sides. It would be misleading to get two blokes from down the pub to put the case - or one formal representative and some other makeweight. Once they've issued the invites to the two sides, it's for the campaigns to nominate someone. If one side declines to participate, then, perhaps, there is a case for the media organisation to come up with an appropriate substitute (with only two sides, the option of empty-chairing can't apply).

Farage is the leader of UKIP: he should absolutely have a role in the media coverage of the referendum on the subject his party was created for. But he is not the head of Leave and unless appointed otherwise, is not an official spokesman for it. The Conservative Party is officially neutral in the debate so he shouldn't be debating Cameron as leader of that - as Cameron cannot speak on behalf of his party.

Precisely. I'm genuinely puzzled that some here don't get it. Or think sledging Leave will invalidate it's perfectly reasonable annoyance.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,611
    rcs1000 said:

For all Farage's many faults he's quick on his feet and has an amiable 'bloke down the pub' style - and if Cameron gets ratty he can look vindictive.....
  • Options

For all Farage's many faults he's quick on his feet and has an amiable 'bloke down the pub' style - and if Cameron gets ratty he can look vindictive.....

Which makes the reaction all the more bizarre.

"He's a good campaigner, he won the last TV debates, he is on our side, we have the best arguments, we need regulation to keep him off TV..."

What exactly is the Brexiteers problem?
  • Options
    “ITV has effectively joined the official in campaign and there will be consequences for its future – the people in No 10 won’t be there for long.”

That is an extraordinary statement from a Leave spokesman on so many levels.

Threatening broadcasters because they do not do as you wish is a really bad look. And I wonder how delighted Dave is that Leave is now saying he is on his way out having, previously said he cannot be trusted on economic issues.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Run along.

How can you tell if someone has a "killer point" in an on-line discussion?

When an opponent tells them to "run along"...
    David Herdson made a very well argued case (saying what I was trying to say, but much more eruditely).

You responded with a point that is factually correct, but utterly irrelevant.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    Interestingly Peter Kellner, who was President of online pollster YouGov at the time the report was published but who has since retired, went on record at a Media Society event on Monday to say he thought that phone polls were closer to the mark on this occasion.

http://www.ncpolitics.uk/2016/05/11-eu-referendum-update.html/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Scott_P said:

Remind me of your position when Dave was pushing to not appear on a direct head to head with Ed ?
  • Options
    Here is the "perfectly reasonable" reaction

@rosschawkins: UKIP say Vote Leave are threatening court action to stop Farage appearing with PM on ITV

I suppose if we had regulation to stop Nigel Farage appearing on TV, we wouldn't need court action...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Remind me of your position when Dave was pushing to not appear on a direct head to head with Ed ?

He did appear with Ed
  • Options
    we're all rather tetchy today. Is it worries about the ukrainian eurovision entry?

(have I missed the eurovision thread, btw?)

PS my bilge is the vapidest, and I will fight anyone who suggests otherwise
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    This is a great scoop for ITV but above all else this is what Nigel has worked for over 20 years, to debate with a pro EU PM days before an EU referendum. This is the occasion that will absolutely define his career, there'll be no damp squib, no score draws, everything he's ever worked for will be encapsulated in an hour or so.

Its fair to say he's not universally admired on here, but there is nobody better versed on the EU, if he's on song he'll destroy Cameron. His tactic will be to goad him into his Flashman act and point out the EU is all about the cabal between govt and big business which has compressed the wages of the lower paid.

You can argue its high risk, I'm sure some Leavers are nervous but he'll be as well briefed and prepared as anybody, one slip up from Cameron and Nigel will nail him. I actually believe its Cameron taking the bigger risk and indicative of the mood in Remain, if they were confident of winning he'd wave Nigel away, massive roll of the dice by Cameron.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    On National Limerick Day ....

Last night OGH on PB he did say
    I'm seventy, Hip Hip Horray
    My Looks and Hair May Have Gone
    Genetics will come for Robert Smithson

:smile:

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Except it's not.

Precisely. I'm genuinely puzzled that some here don't get it. Or think sledging Leave will invalidate it's perfectly reasonable annoyance.
    You know all about sledging, Plato.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Sarah Jane Mee Mees opinions on sky are totally meaningless..The Channel is barely watchable as a news programme..An idiot for Political News Editor..a complete Dork as Economics Editor..Murnahan is useless, thinks he is Neill ..Holmes should be presenting a kiddies programme..or nothing at all..They got rid of all the good journos....
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:

"He's a good campaigner, he won the last TV debates, he is on our side, we have the best arguments, we need regulation to keep him off TV..."

They're just drumming up interest with a bit of controversy. The important thing for Leave is that as many people as possible see the debate.
  • Options

Sarah Jane Mee Mees opinions on sky are totally meaningless..The Channel is barely watchable as a news programme..An idiot for Political News Editor..a complete Dork as Economics Editor..Murnahan is useless, thinks he is Neill ..Holmes should be presenting a kiddies programme..or nothing at all..They got rid of all the good journos....

I totally disagree. Which good journos are you thinking of? Glen O'Labour was incredibly biased, never liked Joey Jones either.
  • Options
    I am struggling to see how having Nigel Farage on primetime TV arguing the Leave cause against the PM is biased against Leave.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scott_P said:

They're just drumming up interest with a bit of controversy. The important thing for Leave is that as many people as possible see the debate.

They should put Gerry Adams up for Remain - that will create some controversy. The important thing for Remain is that as many people as possible see the debate.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    There once was an old Jacobite
    Whose predictions just clogged up the site
    and though PB laughed
    and said he was daft
    they shut up when the bugger was right
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192

This is a great scoop for ITV but above all else this is what Nigel has worked for over 20 years, to debate with a pro EU PM days before an EU referendum. This is the occasion that will absolutely define his career, there'll be no damp squib, no score draws, everything he's ever worked for will be encapsulated in an hour or so.

Its fair to say he's not universally admired on here, but there is nobody better versed on the EU, if he's on song he'll destroy Cameron. His tactic will be to goad him into his Flashman act and point out the EU is all about the cabal between govt and big business which has compressed the wages of the lower paid.

You can argue its high risk, I'm sure some Leavers are nervous but he'll be as well briefed and prepared as anybody, one slip up from Cameron and Nigel will nail him. I actually believe its Cameron taking the bigger risk and indicative of the mood in Remain, if they were confident of winning he'd wave Nigel away, massive roll of the dice by Cameron.

Morning all,

An alternative view is that Remain have taken the view that reinforcing the association of leave with Farage is good for them.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Fun and games on here again here this morning.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    edited May 2016

I think, and without wishing to provoke our northern neighbours, it would be a bit like the SPL champions taking on the PL champions. Although respectively top of their tree, the SPL champions would usually expect to get a shellacking.

You misunderestimate Dave at your peril. He is PM and has had everyone throw rubbish his way on every subject from the EU to the spare room subsidy. He is an operator. Nige has rarely not had to answer a tricky question, or to evade a potentially dangerous line of reasoning because he always wants to answer as many EU questions as possible, and usually knows more than his interviewer. Dave is the master at interviewing, ie being a politician, which is more important than being the master of his subject.

Nige is excellent on his day and great fun to watch, and has the nation shouting "gertcha" from its armchair, but Cam he ain't.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

They should put Gerry Adams up for Remain - that will create some controversy. The important thing for Remain is that as many people as possible see the debate.

I disagree, others will know more tv channel audiences but I'd guess those that watch Corrie don't always stay up to watch Newsnight. Farage is far more likely to engage with Corrie viewers than Cameron.

The more I think about this the more positive I get
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    One upside of the hiatus in polling is that there has been time for a significant move to manifest itself one way or the other. When you have lots of polls overlapping each other then it gets very difficult to identify any trend from the statistical noise.

It is not easy to determine which way things are going. I don't think that either side has really cut through. The cries to authority by Remain persist. Are they going to overwhelm by sheer weight of numbers or fall into ridicule? The lack of love on the Remain side for the EU is becoming increasingly apparent. The problem is that an argument that they want a reformed EU immediately runs into Cameron's largely failed efforts in that respect. They also really struggle with the direction of travel for the EU which they don't much like either.

Leave have become somewhat more coherent in fixing a position that focuses on immigration. The EFTA type options within the single market seem to have been abandoned although the terms of our relationship with the EU post departure remain an inevitable mystery (since it is a matter for negotiation). That frankly disappoints people like me who wanted to reduce the risks of Leave by remaining in a close relationship with the EU with access to the Single Market, even if that proved to be an intermediate step. Does it make Leave look more risky and thus reinforce the cries to authority? I think it does but that may well just reflect my own wishes on the matter.

My gut feel is that the TV debates may well prove decisive. There will be some break through moment, like when Miliband denied that the previous Labour government had spent too much, where a lot of people will suddenly think, no, that can't be right. No wonder both sides are so nervous about them.
  • Options

Morning all,

An alternative view is that Remain have taken the view that reinforcing the association of leave with Farage is good for them.
    Of course that's their view
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MODERATORS

Please delete this post

Accuracy and honesty is a terrible thing.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That is a seriously over the top response from Leave.
    You'll find that everything is being coordinated from Finchley Road....
This discussion has been closed.