Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The locomotive of politics

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The locomotive of politics

Take a deep breath.  The scent in your nostrils is the dusty burnt smell of scorched earth politics from the referendum.  George Osborne has pre-launched the emergency budget he would advocate in the event of a Leave vote, to the fury of half of his own party’s backbenchers.  Dozens have already publicly declared that they would vote against it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    edited June 2016
    First Encore!
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    edited June 2016
    Without wanting to sound patronising, that's better Alastair. Good piece!

Heaven knows what's going to happen next.
  • Options
    Gove will be crucial - if REMAIN win & he accepts it and urges backing Cameron & Osborne the Tories might steady the ship - Boris will be seen as a busted careerist and IDS will have cemented his track record of dismal failure.

If LEAVE win, all bets are off - but people who airily dismiss Cameron's ruthlessness may be in for a surprise......
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
  • Options
    "who are appalled by Leave’s lack of interest in free trade"

What?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    PlatoSaid said:

What?

Yup - nothing more protectionist than ending free mvmt.
  • Options
    Nige & Facts:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/743062184431890432

How very LEAVEr of him.......
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Interesting ploy, they're not accepting handwaving. I can't see how Cameron can change HMG policy on this either.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/boris-johnson-and-michael-gove-demand-david-cameron-veto-turkeys/

And here's Graham Brady trying to pull things back together, a bit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/conservatives-fighting-like-rats-in-a-bag-imperils-the-partys-ve/

And some previous CoEs aren't happy with George http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/former-tory-leaders-and-chancellors-accuse-george-osborne-of-lud/
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    I see Torygraph front page has a big photo of Geldof harvey smithing hard working fishermen. What surprised me is that the Grauniad front page does too!

Re Austria - I hope the result is not too close. I don't want to go through this again this year.....

Alistair - not read it yet but article looks interesting.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What?

Just the usual Meeks invective that spoils the article.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:
    I'm not so sure. While ISIS are revolting gangsters who deserve to be ground into the dust, it seems they were not planning to join or fund Isis just engaging in "A taxi driver says" type politically incorrect rants in support of Isis and against those Isis disapproves of.

Do we really want to live in the sort of country where undercover police officers infiltrate social or religious events then the people there end up at the Old Bailey for saying politically incorrect things that the bugs have recorded. A whiff of the Gestapo about it to say the least.

Appears they are being done for "encouraging support for a proscribed organisation"

If remain win it won't be many years before people in such gatherings denouncing the EU and all its works go the same way.

Be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

What?

Fine, but you need to end benefits and the NHS at the same time.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

What?

Being a member of a closed-well customs union is
  • Options
    edited June 2016

people who airily dismiss Cameron's ruthlessness may be in for a surprise......

I think this misunderstands the mechanism. It won't be anything to do with Cameron. The 1922 will boot him out. Remember, it only needs 15% of Conservative MPs to force a ballot. That's fewer than the 57 rustled up inside an hour yesterday.

If he loses, he's toast.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Of all the things to latch onto in the article!

I was referring to Leave prioritising ending freedom of movement over access to the single market. If that wasn't obvious, I apologise. If anyone thinks that isn't going to be at the heart of future political clashes in the event of a Leave vote, they're welcome to make that case.

I struggle, however, to see how anyone could describe it as invective.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What?

Oh dear, I missed that. What an incredibly silly remark. Free trade and the EU are not commensurate. For most of the world the EU is protectionist.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    FWIW Alastair, that's a very fair article. Up to now I've found the blue-on-blue attacks to be overhyped. Now is exactly the time to be having these debates. It was always going to be tough to come together after the referendum, but it's certainly possible. However, Osborne's intervention is a game changer - I can seriously see the Tories splitting over this.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Agree that for the Tories to unite will be tricky... but a lot of it seems personality-based.
    If Leave wins and Cameron and Osborne go... that could easily take the sting out of it all.
    Boris as PM to unite the party?

With respect to Labour- the problems Corbyn has seem unrelated to Europe.

But his measured support for Remain does seem a more tenable position given the assumption that plenty of Labour supporters will be voting leave...
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Cameron won't lose. He will be saved by N Ireland (2-1), Scotland (2-1) and overseas (2-1). However he and is truly revolting said sdekick will be toast anyway. The both will be history before Christmas.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

FWIW Alastair, that's a very fair article. Up to now I've found the blue-on-blue attacks to be overhyped. Now is exactly the time to be having these debates. It was always going to be tough to come together after the referendum, but it's certainly possible. However, Osborne's intervention is a game changer - I can seriously see the Tories splitting over this.

They won't split. They've never done so. How effective HMG will be is another matter. Then again, there was bugger all in the Queen's speech to enact.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016

Of all the things to latch onto in the article!

I was referring to Leave prioritising ending freedom of movement over access to the single market. If that wasn't obvious, I apologise. If anyone thinks that isn't going to be at the heart of future political clashes in the event of a Leave vote, they're welcome to make that case.

I struggle, however, to see how anyone could describe it as invective.

Sorry to miss the discussions of Austria-Hungary yesterday. It is just the sort of bit of history that Trotsky refers to with his locomotive quote.

The real problem for Parliament after a Leave vote is that the MPs who back Leave constitute less than a quarter of the Commons, and probably the same in the Lords. It is hard to see any deal agreed by parliament satisfying the Leavers. With a Remain vote the Tory party is ungovernable. Either way I cannot see how the government continues without an election, though an election is quite unlikely to resolve the deadlocks.

What we see is the Boaty McBoatface-ication of Parliamentary democracy. The irony is that those who profess the supremacy of Westminster will have knobbled it.

• Options
    Estobar said:

I think this misunderstands the mechanism. It won't be anything to do with Cameron. The 1922 will boot him out. Remember, it only needs 15% of Conservative MPs to force a ballot. That's fewer than the 57 rustled up inside an hour yesterday.

If he loses, he's toast.
    I think you misunderstand the process - it's not instantaneous:

The Tories’ process for picking a leader is twofold: Conservative MPs narrow the field to two choices, before a postal ballot of the wider membership of the party is conducted.

The Chairman of the 1922 Committee, which represents Conservative MPs, acts as the returning officer for leadership elections. Graham Brady is currently serving in this post. The Conservative Whip (currently Michael Gove) receives nominations from members of the House of Commons, and the deadline is noon “on a Thursday”.

If one nomination is received, the new leader is declared elected. If two nominations are made, both names go forward for the members of the party to decide between. In the event that three or more MPs are nominated for leader, a ballot of Conservative MPs is held “on the Tuesday immediately following the closing date for nominations”. The ballot is held under the first past the post system. If MPs are choosing between four or more candidates, the candidate with the lowest number of votes is eliminated and further ballots are held on subsequent Thursdays and Tuesdays until only two MPs remain.

The wider membership of the Conservative party then chooses between these two MPs, with the vote being held via a postal ballot. The returning officer chooses the date by which ballots have to be returned and the count begins at noon that day. The result is announced at a meeting of the parliamentary party and “representative members”.

http://www.westminsteradvisers.co.uk/2015/03/follow-the-leader-rules-for-party-leadership-elections/

Earliest for an unopposed election is June 30th - chances nil to zero

Earliest Candidates identified July 5th - sent out to a postal ballot.

Postal Ballot - for UK Elections its 19 working days (or less) before the election - which takes us to early August - Cameron will have been PM for 5 weeks after the vote, could have invoked Article 50, reshuffled his Cabinet and Osborne presented a budget.

If a week is a long time in politics, 5 weeks is an aeon.....
  • Options
    Wembley debate next week - 6000 audience

Remain - Frances O’Grady, leader of the TUC, Ruth Davidson and Sadiq Khan

Leave - Boris Johnson, Gisela Stuart, and former CBI chief Lord Digby Jones
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Never in a million years.

He's not remotely up to the job.

Gove would make an adequate interim to step down before 2020
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I know which team I'd rather have on my side.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

PlatoSaid said:

I know what team I'd rather go out for dinner and drinks with
  • Options
    This is the kind of anecdotal comment which causes some of us to smile, affectionately, at Nick Palmer but here goes ...

An elderly person who was diehard Remain and who voted by post just told me she now thinks she voted too early.

If someone like her is being forced into the Leave camp then Remain really are in big trouble.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Agree that for the Tories to unite will be tricky... but a lot of it seems personality-based.
    If Leave wins and Cameron and Osborne go... that could easily take the sting out of it all.

With respect to Labour- the problems Corbyn has seem unrelated to Europe.

But his measured support for Remain does seem a more tenable position given the assumption that plenty of Labour supporters will be voting leave...

The problem for the Corbyn type leavers is that Corbyns objections to the EU are the polar opposite of Labour turned kipper voters. He is pro-immigration, pro-asylum seeker and seemingly untroubled by the EU budget. His objections are over the EU control of trade and trade unions.

I cannot see Jezza exploiting the Tory division effectively, not least because Jezzas political nous is near non-existant on any issue. He simply doesn't understand other peoples point of view.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited June 2016
    FPT:
    What an odd thing to say:
    “Ask any lawyer, what we gave Britain was outside the treaties, it’s illegal but we did it to help Britain. Britain got a lot and many others hold a grudge for that; we were more than generous.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/eu-referendum-defiant-senior-brussels-diplomat-warns-uk-not-to-o/
    So they admit that what they gave us was unlawful, how are we supposed to believe it won't get thrown out by the ECJ soon after a remain vote?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I know what team I'd rather go out for dinner and drinks with
    :D
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Nige & Facts:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/743062184431890432

How very LEAVEr of him.......

He's a smoking sceptic and a climate change sceptic, he's an idiot.
    Chences are he'll be costing the NHS money.
    http://www.nursingtimes.net/smoking-costs-nhs-5bn-a-year/5002585.fullarticle
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    David Cameron will be campaigning in Gibraltar today.

There will be a big rally in Casemates Square at 5pm (4pm UK time) which might make the UK media.

24,100 people have registered to vote in the referendum .... of which 24,099 will be voting In so he'll get a pretty positive crowd.
  • Options

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

The Tories’ process for picking a leader is twofold: Conservative MPs narrow the field to two choices, before a postal ballot of the wider membership of the party is conducted.

The Chairman of the 1922 Committee, which represents Conservative MPs, acts as the returning officer for leadership elections. Graham Brady is currently serving in this post. The Conservative Whip (currently Michael Gove) receives nominations from members of the House of Commons, and the deadline is noon “on a Thursday”.

Oh dear Carlotta. It will take less than an hour to signal a vote. If Remain lose Cameron's toast. Sorry that you don't like what I suspect is fact. You can gnash and wail all you like about it. The Tory party are ruthless with failure, and almighty failure this will be.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

FPT:
    What an odd thing to say:

“Ask any lawyer, what we gave Britain was outside the treaties, it’s illegal but we did it to help Britain. Britain got a lot and many others hold a grudge for that; we were more than generous.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/eu-referendum-defiant-senior-brussels-diplomat-warns-uk-not-to-o/
    So they admit that what they gave us was unlawful, how are we supposed to believe it won't get thrown out by the ECJ soon after a remain vote?

Well indeed. That needs to be used by VoteLeave - doubly so if we get a Vow Mk II.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.
    If he loses I don't think he'll even try to stay on, all authority will have gone. Only question is does he go to the palace straight away or fill an interim role till a party election.

The only thing stopping him going straight away is the lack of an obvious caretaker without leadership ambitions. Hague would have been perfect
  • Options

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.
    If he loses I don't think he'll even try to stay on, all authority will have gone. Only question is does he go to the palace straight away or fill an interim role till a party election.

The only thing stopping him going straight away is the lack of an obvious caretaker without leadership ambitions. Hague would have been perfect
    Agreed. He will announce he's standing down the by the end of the weekend, probably sooner.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

tlg86 said:

They won't split. They've never done so. How effective HMG will be is another matter. Then again, there was bugger all in the Queen's speech to enact.
    They've split on multiple occasions - usually the liberal tradition within the party triumphs ultimately, occasionally with an infusion of new blood from outside (I hail from the Liberal Unionist tradition, for example, which sat alongside the Conservatives from the 1890s onwards).
  • Options
    The sad thing about that is that if he had shown some decorum Cameron could have steered the ship through to the autumn.

By his vile words and actions he has condemned himself.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

Oh dear Carlotta. It will take less than an hour to signal a vote. If Remain lose Cameron's toast. Sorry that you don't like what I suspect is fact. You can gnash and wail all you like about it. The Tory party are ruthless with failure, and almighty failure this will be.
    I don't think anyone is denying that if Leave win Cameron is toast, just that any new Leader takes a minimum of 5 weeks to elect.
  • Options
    Just one week to go and two more polls out today (times anyone?). We're getting to the stage where any large leads or any clear trends one way or the other are going to be difficult to reverse.
    I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it'g going to be close, probably between 0% - 3%, with a turnout of between 68% - 70% would be my guess.
  • Options

Postal Ballot - for UK Elections its 19 working days (or less) before the election - which takes us to early August - Cameron will have been PM for 5 weeks after the vote, could have invoked Article 50, reshuffled his Cabinet and Osborne presented a budget.

You are right on the timelines, but the political reality is that if he is being challenged for the leadership he won't have the practical authority to do any of those.

A leader is only a leader so long as he has followers
  • Options

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

I don't think anyone is denying that if Leave win Cameron is toast, just that any new Leader takes a minimum of 5 weeks to elect.
    Ya.

But I was responding to Carlotta's comment that even if Leave wins we shouldn't underestimate Cameron's ruthlessness. If Leave wins, he is as you say, finished.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Charles said:

You are right on the timelines, but the political reality is that if he is being challenged for the leadership he won't have the practical authority to do any of those.

It could be quite a busy period with quite a few major government decisions to be taken that can't wait.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    As a Leaver, I will go on the record to say there will be no punishment beatings for any Remainer if Leave wins and I will write to my MP (and anyone else) who advocates it.

George Osborne is the exception.
  • Options
    I'm slightly concerned about the NI, Scotland, overseas issue.

Does anyone know how many overseas voters are registered? I assume the majority have to use a proxy?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

As a member I have a vote and I cannot see the party organising it before September unless DC stands down on his own accord. Remeber there are 180 remain conservative MPs plus moderate leave MPs making an immediate election unlikely
  • Options
    Estobar said:

The sad thing about that is that if he had shown some decorum Cameron could have steered the ship through to the autumn.

Quite - all totally unnecessary self-harm. I still don't understand it.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

Ya.

But I was responding to Carlotta's comment that even if Leave wins we shouldn't underestimate Cameron's ruthlessness. If Leave wins, he is as you say, finished.
    I agree he would be a lame duck during the period of a Tory leadership contest. He could not effectively govern.
  • Options

Charles said:

It could be quite a busy period with quite a few major government decisions to be taken that can't wait.
    There will be holding action - probably agreed by all the major candidates for leadership. There are conventions that deal with this sort of thing.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sorry markets - government paralysed because the Tory Party is too busy committing seppuku...what's a 5 week run on the pound to worry about?
  • Options

As a Leaver, I will go on the record to say there will be no punishment beatings for any Remainer if Leave wins and I will write to my MP (and anyone else) who advocates it.

As a remainer I fully endorse your posts. Osborne lost me completely yesterday
  • Options

Charles said:

Sorry markets - government paralysed because the Tory Party is too busy committing seppuku...what's a 5 week run on the pound to worry about?
    And that comes under holding action.

As does QE (which will happen) and opening the discount window to flood the market with liquidity.

But no foreign government will negotiate with Cameron until they know his has been confirmed in his place or is being replaced.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

I'm sorry you don't seem to understand the basics.

Cameron is the Prime Minister.

If Tory MPs wish to replace him as Leader of their party that will take at least five weeks - possibly longer - unless a coronation is arranged.

I can't see either side agreeing on a 'compromise' candidate - can you?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    PlatoSaid said:

Excellent. Ruth Davidson will impress, and is probably the best Remainer they could pick. Sadiq may be effective at cutting across to Labourites, but it might be to late.

It looks like Remain and Leave agreed through the BBC to trade Ruth for Digby Jones, rather than Tim Martin, who'd have been a disaster.

Boris needs to train hard day-in, day-out. He wasn't brilliant against Salmond this week and this one on Tuesday is massive.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

There will be holding action - probably agreed by all the major candidates for leadership. There are conventions that deal with this sort of thing.
    You clearly believe Cameron will be gone in very short order, presumably Osborne also. Do you think this will apply irrespective of the result?
  • Options

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

If Tory MPs wish to replace him as Leader of their party that will take at least five weeks - possibly longer - unless a coronation is arranged.

Oh dear Carlotta.

Fancy a flutter that if Leave wins Cameron won't make it beyond the weekend without signalling that he's standing down?

His authority will be in tatters. Nothing he attempts will get anywhere. Look at yesterday if you don't believe me. Even before the vote he lost the Brexit budget in the space of an hour.
  • Options

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

As a member I have a vote and I cannot see the party organising it before September unless DC stands down on his own accord. Remeber there are 180 remain conservative MPs plus moderate leave MPs making an immediate election unlikely
    As with the NATs, the LEAVErs are happiest talking among themselves, where contrary views are rarely heard. If LEAVE win, they're going to find life a lot tougher than the 'sunshine and unicorns' they've been pedalling......
  • Options

Me too.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Charles said:

Charles said:

You clearly believe Cameron will be gone in very short order, presumably Osborne also. Do you think this will apply irrespective of the result?
    The only reason I can think of for why Cameron fronted it and Osborne kicked off this week is that it personalises a lot of the bile in the party. The two of them could be a sufficient blood sacrifice - whichever way the vote goes - to allow a new leader to create unite (it's one reason why I think May has a great chance)

I can't see how Cameron can regain trust/authority from hereon. He ould try to cling on, but it would be a miserable experience and I don't see why he'd want to put himself through it. Maybe he could say "I'm going to stand down in the autumn" if he really wants a few more months - and so he isn't leaving immediately after the result.
  • Options

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

As with the NATs, the LEAVErs are happiest talking among themselves, where contrary views are rarely heard. If LEAVE win, they're going to find life a lot tougher than the 'sunshine and unicorns' they've been pedalling......
    They certainly are and on the maths Boris will not be PM
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

Oh dear Carlotta.

Fancy a flutter that if Leave wins Cameron won't make it beyond the weekend without signalling that he's standing down?

His authority will be in tatters. Nothing he attempts will get anywhere. Look at yesterday if you don't believe me. Even before the vote he lost the Brexit budget in the space of an hour.
    Oh dear Estobar,

I see you don't dispute the timetable.....

Cameron may signal he's stepping down, or may decide to fight.

Either way he's PM until at least August, whatever your fantasies of instantaneous defenestration.....
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

PlatoSaid said:

Excellent. Ruth Davidson will impress, and is probably the best Remainer they could pick. Sadiq may be effective at cutting across to Labourites, but it might be to late.

It looks like Remain and Leave agreed through the BBC to trade Ruth for Digby Jones, rather than Tim Martin, who'd have been a disaster.

Boris needs to train hard day-in, day-out. He wasn't brilliant against Salmond this week and this one on Tuesday is massive.
    Digby was on the BBC Midlands debate the other night... including a fairly meaty ding dong with Tristram Hunt!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-36499959
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,128
    Good article Alastair. We are indeed heading for minority government whichever side wins. Osborne has raised the stakes enormously but he may well have given remain a chance when it was slipping away from them.

The evident tensions between Cameron and May yesterday show just how ungovernable this party is going to be and they are even supposed to be on the same side! There is going to be a dangerous amount of bitterness about with the losing side feeling cheated by the "lies" of the other.

Can the Conservatives stay together? I struggle to see how. It is evident that the majority of their supporters in the country are going to vote leave. Remain and Cameron are now dependent on Labour supporters turning out in significant numbers and voting for them. Good luck with that but even if they do running a party he has defeated with the help of the opposition puts Cameron in an untenable position.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

If we vote to Leave, yes. In that case the significant number of Tory MPs with sceptic tendencies who endorsed Remain out of loyalty to Cameron and/or their careers will switch sides because there will be no point continuing as pro-EU in the face of both their instincts and the public's vote.
  • Options

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

He doesnt go to the Palace - he is not triggering a GE
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The only reason I can think of for why Cameron fronted it and Osborne kicked off this week is that it personalises a lot of the bile in the party. The two of them could be a sufficient blood sacrifice - whichever way the vote goes - to allow a new leader to create unite (it's one reason why I think May has a great chance)

I can't see how Cameron can regain trust/authority from hereon. He ould try to cling on, but it would be a miserable experience and I don't see why he'd want to put himself through it. Maybe he could say "I'm going to stand down in the autumn" if he really wants a few more months - and so he isn't leaving immediately after the result.
    I think you're right. Osborne's draconian warnings yesterday sounded like nothing short of a rather bizarre act of resignation. He's clearly intent on going out with a big bang irrespective of the referendum result.
    I could see Cameron staying on for a few months, potentially longer if REMAIN wins, but not Osborne, he's burnt his boats within the party.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Estobar said:

Quite - all totally unnecessary self-harm. I still don't understand it.
    He plays to win. He always has, ask the Lib Dems if you can find one. But he has laid waste to his own majority.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Maybe he could say "I'm going to stand down in the autumn" if he really wants a few more months - and so he isn't leaving immediately after the result.
    The last thing the country needs in the immediate aftermath of a LEAVE vote is an optional extra crisis in government - I think Cameron will want to do 'the right thing for the country' and that does not involve an immediate crisis at the top of the government - what ever the wet dreams of excitable LEAVErs.

People need time to calm down and take stock - and the potential candidates need time to make their cases.

Arranging things so there is a Leadership Hustings at the Party Conference (albeit a bit late in early October, but that's fate) would, I think be the most sensible route.

But then 'sensible' has been in short supply on all sides recently.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

If we vote to Leave, yes. In that case the significant number of Tory MPs with sceptic tendencies who endorsed Remain out of loyalty to Cameron and/or their careers will switch sides because there will be no point continuing as pro-EU in the face of both their instincts and the public's vote.

What will the "side" be? EEA/EFTA, a Canada-style deal, glorious isolation? How much free movement of people in return for passporting, and so on? There is not one Leave, there are many. The fun has only just begun.

Buy shares in Betrayal.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Maybe he could say "I'm going to stand down in the autumn" if he really wants a few more months - and so he isn't leaving immediately after the result.
    The last thing the country needs in the immediate aftermath of a LEAVE vote is an optional extra crisis in government - I think Cameron will want to do 'the right thing for the country' and that does not involve an immediate crisis at the top of the government - what ever the wet dreams of excitable LEAVErs.

People need time to calm down and take stock - and the potential candidates need time to make their cases.

Arranging things so there is a Leadership Hustings at the Party Conference (albeit a bit late in early October, but that's fate) would, I think be the most sensible route.

One thing for certain is that there will be no emergency budget. Indeed even if Cameron remains as caretaker you have to question if Osborne will do the same. I suspect his resignation may well be part of the price. And I say that with considerable regret.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Morning all. Only 3,000 posts to catch up on from yesterday, PB is moving faster this week than the week before the GE last year!

George Osborne has clearly gone completely mad, advocating high profile tax rises to add to the scare stories. Cameron almost needs to throw him under the bus right now, to have any hope of saving his own skin next week.

It's also clear that this campaign has split both major parties very badly indeed. The Tories have turned what should have been polite disagreement into one almighty slanging match, while Labour have shown the massive disconnect between their middle class hierarchy and their working class support. Given that a general election his year is far from impossible, with the government unable to pass anything at all through the Commons, the next few months are going to be fascinating for politics watchers. We've not seen anyting like this since the 1970s, and a lot of us are too young to remember that!
  • Options
    Cameron to leave office this year is on offer at 6/4 with both SkyBet and Hills. Osborne's odds appear to have been taken down.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016
    Trotsky, who wrote " Against Bureaucracy ", would have been for Leave.

Gove's message of hope, slightly spoilt by Dimbleby's rudeness, is a sweet antidote to Project Fear and Loathing;
    https://m.youtube.com/results?q=michael gove&search_type=&uploaded=d
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

As does QE (which will happen) and opening the discount window to flood the market with liquidity.

But no foreign government will negotiate with Cameron until they know his has been confirmed in his place or is being replaced.

More QE? Wonderful. So, a direct result of the Leave vote will be the poor subsidising the rich once again. No wonder there are a few City boys licking their lips.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

People need time to calm down and take stock

So did we all. A bit late for that. Cameron & Osborne have been pretty disgraceful. If Leave wins it's over for them.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I think you're right, all the more so as it becomes crystal clear that Cameron is far and away the best person for the job ..... just streets ahead of the likes of Boris especially.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

A PM holds his office as first Lord of the Treasury from the crown. When one resigns they do so to the Queen. They can recommend a dissolution or not. In this case not.

He would recommend she asks either Gove or Johnston to form an administration

Edit. Blair went to the palace and tendered his resignation to the queen in the morning, she invited Brown to form a government that afternoon
  • Options

So, Dave gets to stay if he does as you command? I am not sure that is a tenable position.

• Options

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

Out of the 180 declared REMAINers, don't you think there will be at least 30 or so who will do anything to stop a Boris coronation?
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

People need time to calm down and take stock

So did we all. A bit late for that. Cameron & Osborne have been pretty disgraceful. If Leave wins it's over for them.
    I'm not seeing any claps for Osborne - anywhere, it's all WTF/Go!!! Cameron's getting a lot of Go!! and I Used To Rate/Like You/No More.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

tlg86 said:

They've split on multiple occasions - usually the liberal tradition within the party triumphs ultimately, occasionally with an infusion of new blood from outside (I hail from the Liberal Unionist tradition, for example, which sat alongside the Conservatives from the 1890s onwards).
    If the Conservatives are going to split, this is the issue that they will split over.
  • Options

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

What will the "side" be? EEA/EFTA, a Canada-style deal, glorious isolation? How much free movement of people in return for passporting, and so on? There is not one Leave, there are many. The fun has only just begun.

Buy shares in Betrayal.

'Stabbed in the Back' worth stocking up on too.....
  • Options

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

I
    Oh dear Carlotta.

Oh dear Estobar,

Either way he's PM until at least August, whatever your fantasies of instantaneous defenestration.....
    Carlotta, as you know I was responding to your comment that even if Leave win we shouldn't underestimate Cameron's ruthlessness.

Sorry but that's just fantasy island.

If Leave wins Cameron will be finished. I'm not even sure that he could now offer to see through the transition. He doesn't of course have to. It's perfectly possible to have an interim leader: a steady hand on the tiller through to the election of a replacement.

There's actually no constitutional reason (I believe) why that couldn't be William Hague. As someone pointed out, there's no legislation in the commons anyway and the recess isn't far off. Otherwise a very wise old hand with no ultimate leadership ambitions but plenty of respect would do the job.
  • Options
    Is Labour really as split as the Tories? There is clearly deep frustration about the minimal role played by Corbyn but that is mainly because he is completely useless, not because he has been off message.

The Labour Vote Leave contribution has been very effective but I think it is silly to pretend they are anything other than a very small minority in the PLP, however much their message has resonated in the country.

Labour have the same problem as they had before the referendum: a leader who the membership seem to support very strongly but whom everyone who knows him well in the PLP knows is not fit to be in the cabinet, let alone PM. A change of leader to someone more competent and Labour might be in a much better place. The referendum has caused them minimal damage.

There is a massive opportunity for Labour here but they need to show an uncharacteristic ruthlessness to grab it.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

More QE? Wonderful. So, a direct result of the Leave vote will be the poor subsidising the rich once again. No wonder there are a few City boys licking their lips.

They did say 'Vote LEAVE and the Pensioners get it'.......
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    That's getting lost in heaps of nested post, so here's the salient bit:

If Leave wins Cameron will be finished. I'm not even sure that he could now offer to see through the transition. He doesn't of course have to. It's perfectly possible to have an interim leader: a steady hand on the tiller through to the election of a replacement.

There's actually no constitutional reason (I believe) why that couldn't be William Hague. As someone pointed out, there's no legislation in the Commons anyway and the recess isn't far off.* Otherwise a very wise old MP with no ultimate leadership ambitions but plenty of respect would do the job.

* Aside that is from the tiny matter of organising our Brexit :D
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    . After this referendum, its a plague on all their houses. The politicians have pretty much all proved what ghastly individuals they are.. No wonder no one trusts politicians.
    As for Boris being PM, it makes me feel ill just thinking about it.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176
    It isn't up to Cameron. Apart from unexpected events resignees don't chose when they are resigned. And remember - the Prime Minister doesn't have to be the leader of the party. I expect Cameron to be resigned as Tory leader very quickly (he may even borrow honour from a friend and do it himself) - he will stay on as PM as we have to have one of those, but he will be literally treading water as the Tory party is forced into a rapid leadership vote.

Remember - they absolutely despise Cameron and all he stands for. If it's Leave they won't trust him to carry out negotiations. If by some miracle Remain squeak it they will be apoplectic and the Cameron/Oik duo will be the target for their rage. Either way, holding off for a few months and doing it at the conference seems like fantasy to me.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2016
    thank god there's just a week of this nonsense to go...

how people like IDS will take defeat I hesitate to guess but if Osborne is toast for you Leavers, so is IDS to we remainers I'd suggest in terms of any govt role going forward.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

I
    Oh dear Carlotta.

Oh dear Estobar,

Carlotta, as you know I was responding to your comment that even if Leave win we shouldn't underestimate Cameron's ruthlessness.
    Perhaps you don't recall Major's election & Thatcher's 'ruthlessness'?

Thatcher worked the phones extensively for Major and swung not a few votes behind him.

Ruthlessness can take many forms - if you think Cameron is just going to sit in the corner and sulk, I suspect you are in for a surprise.
  • Options
    The Nikkei was down by > 3% overnight and the FTSE is expected to fall by > 50 points at the start in 20 minutes time.
    It's all a bit bizarre really, given that even if there's a Brexit result, very little is going to happen for several years and it's quite possible, likely even, that nothing will ultimately happen.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843

Cameron to leave office this year is on offer at 6/4 with both SkyBet and Hills. Osborne's odds appear to have been taken down.

Betfair Sportsbook have it as 7/4.
    https://oddschecker.com/t/politics/british-politics/when-will-david-cameron-leave-his-post-as-prime-minister
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Estobar said:

If you think Cameron is just going to sit in the corner and sulk, I suspect you are in for a surprise.
    Oh lord ...
  • Options

The Nikkei was down by > 3% overnight and the FTSE is expected to fall by > 50 points at the start in 20 minutes time.
    It's all a bit bizarre really, given that even if there's a Brexit result, very little is going to happen for several years and it's quite possible, likely even, that nothing will ultimately happen.

You are assuming that there is some correlation between the 2. There is a lot more going on in the world economy than UK Brexit and very little of it is good.
  • Options

The market was up yesterday! I don't pay much attention myself.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

You are assuming that there is some correlation between the 2. There is a lot more going on in the world economy than UK Brexit and very little of it is good.
    The US downgraded their forecasts last night apparently.
  • Options

Estobar said:

If he loses, he's toast.

A PM holds his office as first Lord of the Treasury from the crown. When one resigns they do so to the Queen. They can recommend a dissolution or not. In this case not.

He would recommend she asks either Gove or Johnston to form an administration

Edit. Blair went to the palace and tendered his resignation to the queen in the morning, she invited Brown to form a government that afternoon
    Fair enough but it will not be a GE
  • Options
    Just checked that out. Any constitutional experts back me on this? I think William Hague could actually serve as interim PM until the autumn?

I think it would be a very good move for everyone concerned. He'd take the heat out of this.
  • Options

thank god there's just a week of this nonsense to go...

how people like IDS will take defeat I hesitate to guess but if Osborne is toast for you Leavers, so is IDS to we remainers I'd suggest in terms of any govt role going forward.

As a Leaver I would hope his stunning incompetence in implementing Universal Credit means that that was his last job in government.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016

So, Dave gets to stay if he does as you command? I am not sure that is a tenable position.

...and presumably if remain wins, they'll be well within their rights to torch the whole house....

The tory leavers are quite quite mad.
This discussion has been closed.