Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BMG polls brings good news for both sides

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BMG polls brings good news for both sides

BMG have conducted simultaneous online and phone polls. The online poll sees what we’ve seen in other recent polls, with a significant swing to Leave, giving Leave a 10% lead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    First? Surely not :(
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2016
    FPT cyclefree
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:
    One can easily turn that around. Every civilised Remainer should think long and hard about voting for an EU which will tolerate 50% youth unemployment, an EU that is seeking through its agreement with various internet companies to limit free speech, (something which is out of date, according to our very own NPalmer), an EU that thinks it permissible to lie in pursuit of a greater cause (cf Juncker), an EU that consists of states which contain real fascist parties in them, truly descended from the fascists of WW2 and represented in the EU Parliament, a vote for people like Gerry Adams. Every civilised Remainer should realise that a vote for Remain will be taken by Labour and countless others as a vote for their view of the world, a party led by a man who associates with terrorists and anti-Semites.

There are respectable and honourable reasons for voting either Remain or Leave. There are respectable and honourable people on both sides of the argument. Let's stop pretending that the morality is only on one side. It's not true. It's insulting and the insufferable moral superiority displayed by some while ignoring the beams in their own eyes brings nothing but discredit to their cause.

Of course there are arguments on both sides. But we're not choosing between holiday destinations.

People don't see us as anti semitic ...a tolerator of youth unemployment ...a country conspiring with internet companies to limit free speech... a country being part of a union which has states which have parties that are descended from fascists.....a country that is part of a union that lies to us...a country that tolerates people like Gerry Adams....

We're making a single decision and for that we need to ignore the trivial and see the bigger picture. The bigger picture for a country of the size and standing of the UK is what will it do to our reputation and standing in the world and how will other countries react to us and interconnect with us.

We are seen as a tolerant and vibrant liberal democracy who punches well above our weight. It's a reputation that has taken decades to acquire and if we vote Leave it'll be lost in a day. We'll be seen as squalid intolerant xenophobes.

And that's the bigger picture.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited June 2016
    Third (rate) like AV :smiley:
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Roger said:

FPT cyclefree

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:
    One can easily turn that around. Every civilised Remainer should think long and hard about voting for an EU which will tolerate 50% youth unemployment, an EU that is seeking through its agreement with various internet companies to limit free speech, (something which is out of date, according to our very own NPalmer), an EU that thinks it permissible to lie in pursuit of a greater cause (cf Juncker), an EU that consists of states which contain real fascist parties in them, truly descended from the fascists of WW2 and represented in the EU Parliament, a vote for people like Gerry Adams. Every civilised Remainer should realise that a vote for Remain will be taken by Labour and countless others as a vote for their view of the world, a party led by a man who associates with terrorists and anti-Semites.

There are respectable and honourable reasons for voting either Remain or Leave. There are respectable and honourable people on both sides of the argument. Let's stop pretending that the morality is only on one side. It's not true. It's insulting and the insufferable moral superiority displayed by some while ignoring the beams in their own eyes brings nothing but discredit to their cause.

Of course there are arguments on both sides. But we're not choosing between holiday destinations.

People don't see us as anti semitic ...a tolerator of youth unemployment ...a country conspiring with internet companies to limit free speech... a country being part of a union which has states which have parties that are descended from fascists.....a country that is part of a union that lies to us...a country that tolerates people like Gerry Adams....

We're making a single decision and for that we need to ignore the trivial and see the bigger picture. The bigger picture for a country of the size and standing of the UK is what will it do to our reputation and standing in the world and how will other countries react to us and interconnect with us.

We are seen as a tolerant and vibrant liberal democracy who punches well above our weight. It's a reputation that has taken decades to acquire and if we vote Leave it'll be lost in a day. We'll be seen as squalid intolerant xenophobes.

Fpt:

Nowt so deaf as those who won't hear.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    FPT in response to Southam's remarks on deficit reduction.

I don't get your point here. I'm disappointed that Osborne wasn't more aggressive on deficit reduction. He's repeatedly moved his target backwards. There's certainly no hard deadline in 2020 - it's Osborne's current judgement call. He may have felt that it was the right thing to do, given that the markets haven't reacted to our still colossal deficit spending.

The price we're paying is that extra £23 billion p.a. in debt servicing costs. In total we're now paying ~£70 billion to service our debts, which is around 3% of GDP or ~9% of public spending.

So, no necessity but yes, pretty significant opportunity cost.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I still think some people will be shy about admiting to voting Leave on the phone, no matter how many times you call them.

It's even more likely to be the case now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    edited June 2016
    LOL at two polls from the same company but different methodology, producing a SEVENTEEN point difference between them on a yes/no question!!

Can we say now that the polling is unreliable, and that by next weekend the discussion will be about how bad the polls were, again?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RoyalBlue said:

I still think some people will be shy about admiting to voting Leave on the phone, no matter how many times you call them.

I've always thought there's likely to be more shy LEAVERS than shy REMAINERS but we shall soon see!
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited June 2016
    RoyalBlue said:

Why now? Because LEAVE is associated with assassins? Surely not...

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Reaminers are still lying in bed with Jeremy Kyle in the background
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Thought id put this on the new thread as well as i wanted to emphasise that the treasury is in a state of chaos over Brexit according to someone i know who works there.

Anecdote Alert
    I was out with a mate who works high up in the treasury last night.
    They are preparing for brexit and evidently its chaos as Osbourne had instructed the department not to initiate the exit planning until
    Very late in the day.
    He also put £1000 on leave yesterday at 7/4
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    RoyalBlue said:

I can understand that
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    @Roger (FPT)

"We're making a single decision and for that we need to ignore the trivial and see the bigger picture. The bigger picture for a country of the size and standing of the UK is what will it do to our reputation and standing in the world and how will other countries react to us and interconnect with us.

And that's the bigger picture."

People will see what they want to see but what will have happened is that a country has taken a democratic decision. It is not reputation which ultimately matters but substance. I think BTW that you have a pretty rosy picture of how Britain is see. Britain has not been known as Perfidious Albion for nothing.

The bigger picture here is not what some editorials in foreign newspapers say. The bigger picture here is democracy.

If the EU - as currently constituted (I am all for reform of the EU but it is not offer and the EU's idea of reform is more centralisation which is "reform" from the Louis XIV playbook) - makes it a choice between it and democracy, then I choose democracy every time.

Those who worry about how they are perceived are the ones missing the bigger picture.

I regret Farage's involvement. He does not represent my Britain. I dislike Marine Le Pen but it does not detract from my view of France as a great civilised nation. Berlusconi was un cafone, as the Italians say. But Italy is a civilised country. Etc.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Thanks to people like you, a very small number will make that connection. I still don't think it will be enough to change the result, but we've still got the Monday recall when the less sensible Labour MPs will draw such a connection explicitly.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Schrodinger's Poll :p
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    BTW, A prize for the PBer who spots my subtle Kylie Minogue reference (which is also a Steps reference)
  • Options
    timmo said:

Thought id put this on the new thread as well as i wanted to emphasise that the treasury is in a state of chaos over Brexit according to someone i know who works there.

Anecdote Alert
    They are preparing for brexit and evidently its chaos as Osbourne had instructed the department not to initiate the exit planning until
    Very late in the day.

The best thing the Treasury could do is nothing. Tinkering with tax after a political surprise is the worst possible reaction.

I hope that the Bank of England and the Debt Management Office have made extensive plans though.
  • Options
    El_DaveEl_Dave Posts: 145
    BMG also mention an 'online tracker' that has leave ahead.

"BMG’s Online EU Referendum tracker shows big shift to Leave, now on 51%(+6), and Remain down 2pts on 41% (DK/PNTS = 9%)."

http://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/bmgherald-final-eu-referendum-poll/
  • Options
    IMF report more positive than I expected, though I'm sure the tinfoil hat brigade will take issue with the way some of the long-run economic graphs are depicted.

Our primary issues are the current account deficit and our very poor productivity trend.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    No mention of the more recent Qrious poll showing a 20% Leave leader after the murder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum
    Whilst they may not be a member of the BPC, the latter hardly stood anyone in good stead at GE2015. Qrious work often in the US and their poll was for USA today.
    http://www.qriously.com/blog/jo-cox-murder-influence-outcome-eu-referendum/

The sample before Jo Cox's murder is 2000 and 1000 on Friday. Everything is apparently weighted.

The poll is interesting and we need to see if it's borne out by others.

Aside from the horror of the attack, the devastating loss of a great MP, Mother and wife you'd have thought (I did) that the murder might see people turn to Remain. Both anecdotally and in the poll that appears not to be the case. I know quite a few remain supporters now turned off politics: and that was the sentiment that Qrious detected. If that's true they may well be temporary losses and return by next week.

As I say, we shall have to see if this bears any resemblance to other polls this weekend. However, there's one hammer blow finding for me:

60% think Immigration will be worse under Remain compared to 6% if we Leave.

One other thing. If Remain win, then this 20% Leave lead six days before the vote would be the mother and father of all polling muck ups.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Anecdote Alert
    Very late in the day.

Ha, serves Osborne right that it's chaos.

One assumes that some of the Senior CS have at least an outline plan in place for what needs to happen next Friday if the vote is to Leave?

He could get 9/5 (2.8) on Betfair :)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

timmo said:

Anecdote Alert
    Very late in the day.

Ha, serves Osborne right that it's chaos.

One assumes that some of the Senior CS have at least an outline plan in place for what needs to happen next Friday if the vote is to Leave?

He could get 9/5 (2.8) on Betfair :)
    The Europeans have been planning it for months.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    Curios manoeuvrings from Putin. He's been backing separatist movements all over europe in the last two years.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

timmo said:

Anecdote Alert
    Very late in the day.

The best thing the Treasury could do is nothing. Tinkering with tax after a political surprise is the worst possible reaction.

I hope that the Bank of England and the Debt Management Office have made extensive plans though.
    The main stumbling block has already been removed. If the ECB had played silly buggers, it might have caused problems for corporates with short-term euro debt. Fortunately, they've done the right thing (see just about every paper on the planet's business section on 16th June).
  • Options

Curios manoeuvrings from Putin. He's been backing separatist movements all over europe in the last two years.
    maybe he's worried we won't have Merkel to tell us what to do.
  • Options
    Mr. Estobar, I'd be stunned if that's anywhere near right.

If Leave win, I think it'll be narrow. That said, I would also have said I'd be stunned if the Conservatives got a majority in 2015.
  • Options

BTW, A prize for the PBer who spots my subtle Kylie Minogue reference (which is also a Steps reference)

"Better the devil EU know?"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yup
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yup
    It's wasn't very subtle ;)
  • Options
    Mr. Timmo, if Osborne has prevented timely planning for a potential exit from the EU that's vindictive idiocy.
  • Options

If Leave win, I think it'll be narrow. That said, I would also have said I'd be stunned if the Conservatives got a majority in 2015.

Before the murder I predicted the result as:

Leave 58%
    Remain 41%
    Spoilt 1%

But I prefaced that with 'in the event of nothing significant.'

If the Qrious poll is right about the trend to Leave then I'll stick with the above.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

No we won't. We will be judged based on what we do post-Brexit. Post-Brexit if a Gove or Johnson government acts as they've acted all campaign (where they've shared a platform with Labour Leavers not Kippers) then we will be seen as an independent nation which is a tolerant and vibrant liberal democracy which punches well above our weight on our own accord.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Leave voters easier to contact/poll than Remain voters.

Morning all.

Just a thought - Leavers are probably more vocal in their support, whilst Remainers appear somewhat less enthusiastic, or ambivalent at best by comparison. This may give the impression when polled that Remainers are shy or uncommitted ie normal..! :lol:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yup
    Subtle by my standards.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Better the devil EU know? You tease us, sir!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Why is Remain not a long way ahead? They make out an economic case but they missed the visceral case.

Had they said, we are in a union of like-minded people who have the same aims. We differ about the ways and means sometimes but that can discussed openly.

Instead we had the head-bangers let loose. These are the facts, if you don't agree with us, you'll all thick bastards. Don't say anything about immigration, you racists. And for a very small minority, you murdering racists.

When Maggie entered Downing Street, she quoted St Francis. She may not have kept to it, but it was a nice touch.

We had George and Dave on a PR campaign worthy of Genghis Khan.

If you're pushing for mutual co-operation in Europe, you need to show mutual co-operation in the UK first.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Putin is an enigma :).

However, the Germans have been making increasingly loud noises about weakening sanctions (as have other East European countries), as it's hurting some sectors in the West almost as much as it is the Russians. Note the German foreign minister's comments about the NATO's ANACONDA exercise in Poland as well. This might just be a tiny quid pro quo.

Realpolitik is too complex for mere muggles to understand though, I'm just guessing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited June 2016

I think she really hits the nail on the head:

"Somehow, over the last half-century, Western elites managed to convince themselves that nationalism was not real. Perhaps it had been real in the past, like cholera and telegraph machines, but now that we were smarter and more modern, it would be forgotten in the due course of time as better ideas supplanted it.

That now seems hopelessly naive. People do care more about people who are like them -- who speak their language, eat their food, share their customs and values. And when elites try to ignore those sentiments -- or banish them by declaring that they are simply racist -- this doesn’t make the sentiments go away. It makes the non-elites suspect the elites of disloyalty. For though elites may find something vaguely horrifying about saying that you care more about people who are like you than you do about people who are culturally or geographically further away, the rest of the population is outraged by the never-stated corollary: that the elites running things feel no greater moral obligation to their fellow countrymen than they do to some random stranger in another country. And perhaps we can argue that this is the morally correct way to feel -- but if it is truly the case, you can see why ordinary folks would be suspicious about allowing the elites to continue to exercise great power over their lives.

It’s therefore not entirely surprising that people are reacting strongly against the EU

Nationalism has perhaps been the most important force in the wirkd in the past 3-4 centuries, greater evengan the od standout religion in some ways.
    felix said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

Re Mr Mair's charges - every journalist on Twitter last night was saying be very careful of contempt as it's now sub judice. That's in line with every other case I can recall.

And he's not being charged under the Terrorism Act either - my understanding was that using it to arrest him was a mechanism to give them longer to question him. It seems perfectly understandable to me to bring him to London for committal and probably to remand/hear the case given the nature of the offence.

The desperation of some to try and erase any hint that there may be a link between nasty xenophobic and racist features of the hangers on to Leave Campaign and subsequent events is very revealing.
    Revealing of the desperation of small l liberals as the article l refer to below shows.
    Lol me a liberal - never voted anything but Tory.
    Neither has David Cameron I would guess, but you'll plenty of people saying he's not a Tory.
  • Options
    Mr. Estobar, I'd be staggered if that happened. But, stranger things have.

Still trying to decide what to do about staying up for the results.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Mr. Timmo, if Osborne has prevented timely planning for a potential exit from the EU that's vindictive idiocy.

Evidently up until last Tuesday all was sweetness and light with senior CS telling everyone that their own internal
    Polls were seeing a remain win. That changed on Tuesday night. Sounds as though their internal polling switched at that point.
    He said there is a plan but its not as formed as it should be.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    CD13 said:

Why is Remain not a long way ahead? They make out an economic case but they missed the visceral case.

Had they said, we are in a union of like-minded people who have the same aims. We differ about the ways and means sometimes but that can discussed openly.

Instead we had the head-bangers let loose. These are the facts, if you don't agree with us, you'll all thick bastards. Don't say anything about immigration, you racists. And for a very small minority, you murdering racists.

When Maggie entered Downing Street, she quoted St Francis. She may not have kept to it, but it was a nice touch.

If you're pushing for mutual co-operation in Europe, you need to show mutual co-operation in the UK first.

Well said.
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, must disagree. Genghis Khan crushed his opponents. Cameron and Osborne will either scrape a victory that should've been easy, or actually lose.

Mr. Timmo, that's shocking incompetence and complacency by Osborne/the Civil Service.
  • Options
    TSE, are you not mentioning the Qrious poll because:

a) they're not in the BPC
    b) you don't like it
    or
    c) you can't think of a pop pun?

Answers on a postcard please pretty please.

Serious q. though: why no mention?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Cyclefree said:

@Roger (FPT)

"We're making a single decision and for that we need to ignore the trivial and see the bigger picture. The bigger picture for a country of the size and standing of the UK is what will it do to our reputation and standing in the world and how will other countries react to us and interconnect with us.

People will see what they want to see but what will have happened is that a country has taken a democratic decision. It is not reputation which ultimately matters but substance. I think BTW that you have a pretty rosy picture of how Britain is see. Britain has not been known as Perfidious Albion for nothing.

The bigger picture here is not what some editorials in foreign newspapers say. The bigger picture here is democracy.

If the EU - as currently constituted (I am all for reform of the EU but it is not offer and the EU's idea of reform is more centralisation which is "reform" from the Louis XIV playbook) - makes it a choice between it and democracy, then I choose democracy every time.

Those who worry about how they are perceived are the ones missing the bigger picture.

I regret Farage's involvement. He does not represent my Britain. I dislike Marine Le Pen but it does not detract from my view of France as a great civilised nation. Berlusconi was un cafone, as the Italians say. But Italy is a civilised country. Etc.

Sorry to pursue you but on the last thread I asked you to give the citation for your belief that I've said free speech is out of date. The reason I bother with pursuing precision in this OCD way is that I'm still vaguely a public figure, and if I leave this sort of thing unanswered, it can get quoted as "He didn't deny that..." When another poster misquoted me from memory he found when he checked that it's not what I said, and apologised gracefully.

I favour the usual balance between what should be legal and what I think is good taste. But in general I think the things you can't legally say (e.g. "let's kill all Yorkshiremen") should be pretty tightly defined and anything else should be legal.
  • Options
    El_DaveEl_Dave Posts: 145
    edited June 2016
    The Mail have a quote from a 'health counsellor' who saw Mr Mair the day before the murder.

"Thomas Mair said after stumbling into a 'well-being centre' on Wednesday night that he was depressed and had been on medication for a long time.
    Mair's psychiatric history is at the heart of the police inquiry into the attack – and officers are also said to be investigating links to far-Right groups.
    The counsellor who spoke to him for about 15 minutes on Wednesday said she realised he was in 'some sort of crisis' and there appeared to be a 'real problem'."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3647461/Loner-suspected-murdering-MP-Jo-Cox-crisis-sought-help-health-counsellor-just-24-hours-attack.html
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    By the way, for those catching up on that latest Qrious poll showing a 20% Leave lead they used mobile Apps. They still weighted etc.

Even if they've got this wrong, I'm pretty convinced mobiles are the way forward for polling.
  • Options

No we won't. We will be judged based on what we do post-Brexit. Post-Brexit if a Gove or Johnson government acts as they've acted all campaign (where they've shared a platform with Labour Leavers not Kippers) then we will be seen as an independent nation which is a tolerant and vibrant liberal democracy which punches well above our weight on our own accord.

I'm afraid throughout the campaign they have encouraged some very wide-ranging cultural expectations among their supporters, which are not identifiable with tolerant liberalism.
  • Options
    Across the Foreign Offices of Europe the diplomats are screaming "why the hell did we ever let those two posh twats get us in to this ?"

Whatever the result Dave and George are damaged goods .
  • Options
    El_Dave said:

The counsellor who spoke to him for about 15 minutes on Wednesday said she realised he was in 'some sort of crisis' and there appeared to be a 'real problem'."

Oh dear.

I've seen someone failed by mental health crisis care, which also led to death. No-one's going to apportion blame without knowing more facts and there will be an inquiry but that's not great really. Bugger.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Leave 58%
    Remain 41%
    Spoilt 1%

If the Qrious poll is right about the trend to Leave then I'll stick with the above.
    This referendum has had more bizarro twists and turns than anything I can remember - and the black swan to end it all. No writer could pen this as a plot - except perhaps Jeffrey Archer.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

Mr. CD13, must disagree. Genghis Khan crushed his opponents. Cameron and Osborne will either scrape a victory that should've been easy, or actually lose.

Mr. Timmo, that's shocking incompetence and complacency by Osborne/the Civil Service.

It was very similar with the Scottish referendum. A friend of mine at HMRC said there was a very explicit political demand that nothing be done beforehand.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I made the error in 2015 of thinking it improbable that all of the polls could be wrong, and there the direction of travel at least had to be a swing back toward labour. Nevertheless I feel similarly now - it's not universal, but there are significantly more leave leads than remain. I feel more confident it is the case as well because unlike 2015, the leave leads we're seeing are all very big. It's one thing for them to be wrong. It's another for somany of them to be wrong by such a large amount.

They could be, and there is the occasional green shoot for remain, but for many of them not only do they have to be significantly wrong, you'd also need quite large switching on the day, can remain really pull off both when they have nothing new to say, only the hope people wake up to what they have been saying?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

RoyalBlue said:

Dear Dear,
  • Options
    Estobar said:

b) you don't like it
    or

Not being BPC isn't an issue, as Lord Ashcroft wasn't BPC.

The issue is, I'm yet to see any tables, and someone who knows their onions about opinion polls says Qrious usually poll via a mobile app, which doesn't produce a representative sample, and this is their first political poll, they normally do only consumer/brand polling.

So until I see tables and a methodology note, it's not worth commenting upon.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    CD13 said:

Not really. Genghis Khan planned his campaigns meticulously, and was highly successful.
  • Options
    Mr. Booth, one would've thought they'd learn the lesson (although it's so obvious they should've known beforehand anyway).
  • Options
    Estobar said:

El_Dave said:

Oh dear.

I've seen someone failed by mental health crisis care, which also led to death. No-one's going to apportion blame without knowing more facts and there will be an inquiry but that's not great really. Bugger.
    Oh dear indeed.

And shame on Hain, Toynbee and their cyphers here.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

On what basis do Leavers argue that a victory "should have been easy"?

Presumably not the arguments all being in favour of Remain? It can't be the popular press because they are all favouring Leave. It presumably can't be the fact that expert opinion is all on their side, because Leave dismiss expert opinion. It can't be the ability to use the machinery of government because doing that is apparently a misuse of power.

So other than the polls favouring Remain before the referendum starts, i'm not sure what the basis of the victory being "easy" were based?

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Estobar said:

Leave 58%
    Remain 41%
    Spoilt 1%

This referendum has had more bizarro twists and turns than anything I can remember - and the black swan to end it all. No writer could pen this as a plot - except perhaps Jeffrey Archer.
    :D

SeanT came out with a wonderful political conspiracy plot yesterday. He did preface it by saying it would work as fiction rather than truth.

I dread anything tipping the scales either way at the last minute. I mean, god forbid, but can you imagine if there's a terrorist attack on Monday? Please no.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    El_Dave said:

The Mail have a quote from a 'health counsellor' who saw Mr Mair the day before the murder.

"Thomas Mair said after stumbling into a 'well-being centre' on Wednesday night that he was depressed and had been on medication for a long time.
    Mair's psychiatric history is at the heart of the police inquiry into the attack – and officers are also said to be investigating links to far-Right groups.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3647461/Loner-suspected-murdering-MP-Jo-Cox-crisis-sought-help-health-counsellor-just-24-hours-attack.html

Apart from fantasising in the papers did she do anything to resolve this "real problem"
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    alex. said:

Presumably not the arguments all being in favour of Remain? It can't be the popular press because they are all favouring Leave. It presumably can't be the fact that expert opinion is all on their side, because Leave dismiss expert opinion. It can't be the ability to use the machinery of government because doing that is apparently a misuse of power.

So other than the polls favouring Remain before the referendum starts, i'm not sure what the basis of the victory being "easy" were based?

12 months ago, Remain had leads ranging from 10-44%.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Estobar said:

Leave 58%
    Remain 41%
    Spoilt 1%

:D

SeanT came out with a wonderful political conspiracy plot yesterday. He did preface it by saying it would work as fiction rather than truth.

I dread anything tipping the scales either way at the last minute. I mean, god forbid, but can you imagine if there's a terrorist attack on Monday? Please no.
    To briefly delve into murky waters, further information about the relationship of the murderer to any current political concern would be potentially explosive. This is why I've had pause as to the scant public information so far.
  • Options
    Mr. Alex, Remain's easy victory should have been because:
    1) large initial leads
    2) having the PM leading
    3) having an easy economic argument
    4) having a clear majority of the political establishment onside
    5) having the likes of the IMF and Bank of England, making helpful noises at the least

Arrogance, complacency and a failure to get good lines prepared for obvious questions (such as those about Turkey joining the EU), coupled with ridiculous hyperbole that has severely damaged Cameron and Remain's credibility (global war, anyone?) have all made this far closer than it should've been.
  • Options
    Amazing story about 77 year old Mr Kenny, the man injured trying to take on the killer. He was also in the Gomersal Mines Rescue team during the Lofthouse colliery disaster http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/17/retired-miner-who-tried-to-tackle-jo-cox-was-also-hero-of-collie/
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    The Tory GE strategy was to focus on the economy. That's why they want to focus on the economy now. Of course the election was decided by swing voters. The referendum will not be.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2016
    alex. said:

Because Remain have the explicit support of the Scottish, Welsh and Westminster Govts, and explicit support of the leadership of all the major parties (SNP, PC, Greens, Lab, Lib, Tory).

With the possible exception of Johnson & Gove & Field, all the well-known heavyweight politicians in all the major parties are advising Remain.

This is not like the Sindy (where the Yessers had the support of the Scottish Govt and a major party).
  • Options

I'm afraid throughout the campaign they have encouraged some very wide-ranging cultural expectations among their supporters, which are not identifiable with tolerant liberalism.
    Not from what I've seen. Either way it remains that we rightly judge leaders (as do those abroad) by what they do in office. Tell me in two words what you most associate with Tony Blair? Is it "Cool Britannia"? Or "Third Way"? Or "Iraq War"?

If Gove and Johnson win and one becomes PM then they will be judged by what they do in office. Democratically accountable.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016
    BMG illustrating that the polling industry's presentation remains a mess.

There is little or no consistency of presentation. They need to get their act together and provide an executive summary with four key numbers;

1) All respondents
    2) All certain (10/10 to vote)
    3) All likely to vote
    4) Pollsters favoured weighting model.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Estobar said:

b) you don't like it
    or

The issue is, I'm yet to see any tables, and someone who knows their onions about opinion polls says Qrious usually poll via a mobile app, which doesn't produce a representative sample, and this is their first political poll, they normally do only consumer/brand polling.

Okay, I think, but there are sort of tables no?

I cannot see why a mobile App should be any less representative than a landline? In fact since I know less than 10% of people who ever use a landline phone, let alone have one, I'd have thought mobiles are much more accurate? Everyone has one, even my 84 yr old mum.
  • Options

Across the Foreign Offices of Europe the diplomats are screaming "why the hell did we ever let those two posh twats get us in to this ?"

That would be very unfair on both if them in fact, and symptomatic of the problem in Europe. Cameron and Osborne bowed to political reality here and called a referendum, it's quite possible they'd not have been able to get over the line without that, but they didn't cause the desire to leave and its that desire which is the problem for European foreign offices. Blaming them would be to miss the point. They are the first to be burned by an out of control blaze, but they didn't ignite it, and it'd be there if they had done nothing,

Yet more proof the eu and its supporters don't think there is a problem and thus words of reform are hollow and meaningless. Anyone trying to reform or forced to confront that millions in their country wants out is the problem, not the fact that people want out itself.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Dave and George didn't get us into "this". The inflexible EU ignored our cries of pain.

• Options

1) large initial leads
    2) having the PM leading
    5) having the likes of the IMF and Bank of England, making helpful noises at the least

Arrogance, complacency and a failure to get good lines prepared for obvious questions (such as those about Turkey joining the EU), coupled with ridiculous hyperbole that has severely damaged Cameron and Remain's credibility (global war, anyone?) have all made this far closer than it should've been.

I loved Tusk's "end of Western civilisation" - now that's Krakatoa level hyperbole.
  • Options

Zero sympathy for them. Maybe the Foreign Offices should have given a better deal to the UK than what Cameron was able to achieve.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    GIN1138 said:

RoyalBlue said:

I've always thought there's likely to be more shy LEAVERS than shy REMAINERS but we shall soon see!
    Probably both depending on your social circle? If we take the assumption that Abc1 are in and C2de are out, then working class people are more likely to be shy remainers, and middle class people shy leavers. On the polling, there is probably a very slight shy leaver bonus as remain is still overall seen as the "socially acceptable option", but I would certainly say the difference is less than any shy Tory factor
  • Options
    Mr. Estobar, I don't have one.

[For clarification: I am not Mr. Estobar's mum].
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    There’s an error in the write-up of the BMG poll.
    http://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/bmgherald-final-eu-referendum-poll/
    In it BMG promote their “EU sentiment index” as a method of dealing with “undecideds and/or refusers”.
    “To this end, BMG has created an EU sentiment index based on respondents’ views to a series of statements about Britain’s relationship with the EU. The sentiment index is designed to build an understanding of the relationship between key statements and voting intention and thereafter infer the likely voting intentions of undecideds and refusals.
    . . .
    the predictive power of the index was modelled in a multivariate regression along with other key variables such as age and social grade (both of which appear to be important determinants of voting intention). See model results below.”

X.1 Coefficients Std. Err Z p
    (Intercept) -9.442 0.887 -10.647 0
    EU Sentiment Index 0.195 0.14 13.992 0
    AGE 25-34 0.019 0.618 0.031 0.957
    AGE 35-44 -0.659 0.602 -1.096 0.273
    AGE 45-54 -0.223 0.596 -0.373 0.709
    AGE 55-64 0.077 0.614 0.126 0.9
    AGE 65-74 -0.565 0.605 -0.935 0.35
    AGE 75+ 0.524 0.657 0.797 0.425
    AGE 18-24 2.038 1.144 1.781 0.075
    SEG C1 -0.251 0.323 -0.776 0.438
    SEG C2 -0.372 0.367 -1.013 0.311
    SEG DE -0.625 0.355 -1.763 0.078
    SEG AB 0.822 0.829 0.992 0.321
    The Z column should be the ratio of the coefficient estimate to its standard error, and it is in all cases apart from the critical EU sentiment index.
    The reported standard error is 10 times as large as implied by the Z-ratio.
    This is probably a typo.
    Otherwise the vaunted index is statistically insignificant.
  • Options

Zero sympathy for them. Maybe the Foreign Offices should have given a better deal to the UK than what Cameron was able to achieve.
    You don't actually think the french and germans are going to blame themselves for this ?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

Cyclefree said:

@Roger (FPT)

Sorry to pursue you but on the last thread I asked you to give the citation for your belief that I've said free speech is out of date. The reason I bother with pursuing precision in this OCD way is that I'm still vaguely a public figure, and if I leave this sort of thing unanswered, it can get quoted as "He didn't deny that..." When another poster misquoted me from memory he found when he checked that it's not what I said, and apologised gracefully.

I favour the usual balance between what should be legal and what I think is good taste. But in general I think the things you can't legally say (e.g. "let's kill all Yorkshiremen") should be pretty tightly defined and anything else should be legal.

You're right to do it, Nick. I attributed quotes to you that were untrue. Turns out I wanted you to have said something you didn't because it suited my argument. We all need to be careful on this.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

1) large initial leads
    2) having the PM leading

I loved Tusk's "end of Western civilisation" - now that's Krakatoa level hyperbole.
    I wish his first name was Raymond.
  • Options

Wow. Okay, it's pretty rare for someone not to have a mobile these days. Do you have an iPad or tablet? Because the Qrious polling works on those, I believe.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yup
    Subtle by my standards.
    LOL! You thought of that weeks ago and have been trying to get it into an article ever since!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    BMG's findings on call backs seems to be the opposite of what YouGov were saying about a month a go. I thought they said that Leavers were harder to contact by phone. I really don't have much trust in the polls.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258

Morning all.

Just a thought - Leavers are probably more vocal in their support, whilst Remainers appear somewhat less enthusiastic, or ambivalent at best by comparison. This may give the impression when polled that Remainers are shy or uncommitted ie normal..! :lol:

In my line of work, Remainers are very vocal. Leavers keep quiet.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

1) large initial leads
    2) having the PM leading

Mr Dancer. I would argue that having the PM leading was perhaps a poisoned chalice in that firstly alienated a lot of non Conservative voters (the majority of the country) and gave them a stick to beat him with, and secondly he's never been as popular with parts of the Conservative membership as he has been with Conservative voters in general. A lot of them are, to put it kindly, less tolerant than others and didn't like the idea of gay marriage for example.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Mr. Estobar, no.

I'm toying with the idea of getting one at some point (both my parents have tablets and mobiles, and my dad also has a laptop).

I did get a stunned look from the lady at the optician's when she asked me for my mobile number and I said I didn't have one.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Midwinter, the problem Cameron's had has been his incompetence in the campaign. He can be rather good at national unity. Instead he wibbled about Armageddon.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    perdix said:

Dave and George didn't get us into "this". The inflexible EU ignored our cries of pain.

I have a lot of sympathy for the EU. If you look at the now halcyon days of the EU9, free movement was both a boon and a non-issue - as the figures show.

As the EU has enlarged, the flows have become larger, but one might have reasonably expected almost a tidal flow based on national economic cycles, e.g. recession in France, move to Germany, recession in Germany, move to France. However, in practice, flows have simply been from poor countries to rich.

The Eurozone as it currently stands has locked its members into a distorted economic framework and institutionalised high unemployment in several of those members. If you can't be like Germany, you suffer.

Add in the migration crisis and you have a leadership that's trying to turn a supertanker containing half a billion people using extremely substandard controls.

I'm not sure the EU *wants* to be inflexible. I just don't see how it *can* be flexible. Even QMV can't help it, with anything truly radical being subject to veto.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Estobar said:

b) you don't like it
    or

Okay, I think, but there are sort of tables no?

I cannot see why a mobile App should be any less representative than a landline? In fact since I know less than 10% of people who ever use a landline phone, let alone have one, I'd have thought mobiles are much more accurate? Everyone has one, even my 84 yr old mum.
    Because not everyone can afford a smart phone, some don't need one.

It also skews against those who live in poor mobile signal areas, making landlines essential.

And if you think those are tables, then you really should stop commenting upon opinion polls.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

@Roger (FPT)

If the EU - as currently constituted (I am all for reform of the EU but ity view of France as a great civilised nation. Berlusconi was un cafone, as the Italians say. But Italy is a civilised country. Etc.

I believe the free speech claim probably arises from a thread the other day - it was post about individualism of the U.K. Amidst the European demos and what about our attitude and traditions made us perceive ourselves as different and even better, and free speech along with some other bits was included in parentheses) and which you felt was a little out of date.

I'd have to go back and check, and you can no doubt correct, but my impression had been you were saying there were and to a limited extent are some things that set us apart historically, but those are a little out of date now, ie there is more that we have in common, not that those listed things were out of date ?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,175
    Estobar said:

Wow. Okay, it's pretty rare for someone not to have a mobile these days. Do you have an iPad or tablet? Because the Qrious polling works on those, I believe.
    Talking about mobiles and tablets, is there a mobile friendly version of this board? It's not exactly small screen friendly and I want to stay here more often....
  • Options
    Estobar said:

PlatoSaid said:

1) large initial leads
    2) having the PM leading

I wish his first name was Raymond.
    :lol:
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Estobar said:

Leave 58%
    Remain 41%
    Spoilt 1%

Not even SK Tremayne? ;)
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Mr Loony doesn't either IIRC
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yup
    Subtle by my standards.
    LOL! You thought of that weeks ago and have been trying to get it into an article ever since!
    Yup, I have a list of 12 I want to use, have used 4 of them, expect to use the other 8 on the 23rd/24th
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the odd post event poll is down to capitulation among remain supporters.

I know from personal experience that many of them really believed that, to quote the Bloomberg Lady in the Luton article

"Somehow, over the last half-century, Western elites managed to convince themselves that nationalism was not real. Perhaps it had been real in the past, like cholera and telegraph machines, but now that we were smarter and more modern, it would be forgotten in the due course of time as better ideas supplanted it"

and they do indeed find it "horrifying [to] care more about people who are like you than you do about people who are culturally or geographically further away"

They also thought that 80-90% of people thought like they do and it was just an unrepresentative gaggle of evil horrid right wingers that thought otherwise.

Now they discover that a majority of people feel like that. (they also think Farage has blood on his hands as a liberal friend informed me within minutes of the incident)

The shock to them must be akin to well documented ghastly shock that devout Marxists had when on the outbreak of World War 1 the working classes did not rise up and destroy their government but fought fiercely for their country.
  • Options

Estobar said:

Talking about mobiles and tablets, is there a mobile friendly version of this board? It's not exactly small screen friendly and I want to stay here more often....
    For posting, http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/ is useful
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    PlatoSaid said:

1) large initial leads
    2) having the PM leading

The shoddy deal, the hyperbolic campaign and those making the case for it have all been Remain's worst enemy.

Rather than worrying people (apart from middle-class professionals already inclined to play it safe) it has exemplified the contempt that too many marginalised voters believe the elites hold for them.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    El_Dave said:

The Mail's sudden interest in mental health is commendable.....when many other papers led with a political angle......well, it was a politician who died.....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Morning all.

In my line of work, Remainers are very vocal. Leavers keep quiet.
    You have my sympathy Mr Royale, must be tough working at the Beeb…! :lol:
  • Options

Estobar said:

Do you use the Vanilla board or the main site?

I use this URL http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/
This discussion has been closed.