Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Four goods and a conclusion

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Four goods and a conclusion

Cyclefree says it is notable that few in the Remain camp have sought to make a positive case for the EU.  So let me make some suggestions.  (And no, this gives you no clue as to my vote.) 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,919
    First. Enjoy your trip to Amalfi.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited June 2016
    The problem with this, especially (1) and (2), is that the Remain campaign is basically led by mainstream Tories, and mainstream Tories have spent the last 20 years pretending not to believe in them in the hope of getting an electoral advantage over Labour.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    About time. Someone has finally set out the reasons why I have already voted Remain.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,844
    edited June 2016
    A concise and eloquent argument Ms @Cyclefree, as always.

Such a shame that the campaigns on both sides have been somewhat bereft of positives - what's wrong with making your case rather than just trashing the other side?

We've not heard enough from the likes of Daniel Hannan and Nick Clegg, who can at least make a positive case for their viewpoint. Gove and to some extent Cameron have tried, but it's been a 95% negative campaign. Maybe we get the politics and politicians we deserve.

Enjoy your holiday!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,919

The problem with this, especially (1) and (2), is that the Remain campaign is basically led by mainstream Tories, and mainstream Tories have spent the last 20 years pretending not to believe in them in the hope of getting an electoral advantage over Labour.

There is an issue around this, and that’s what’s clouded the debate. If one isn’t a Tory, it’s appeared to be “nothing to do with us” and we can get on with making the thing work. So different fromn the 1975 campaign.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Doesn't alter the fundamentals of lack of democracy.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited June 2016
    Have a good holiday Cyclefree, hope you return restored to health and reinvigorated.

One thought though - the US is not a great example of a functioning federal state. For most of its first 150 years it was riven by violence, suffered from weak and divided central authority and constant bickering about who had the right to do what. The most famous example would be the Civil War, in which 210,000 died in the fighting and 420,000 died of disease - more than a quarter of all military age men in the South died.

It is not at all fanciful to foresee a similar catastrophe caused by the stresses and inequities of the euro, and if proportions of dead were similar, we would be talking about millions of casualties. So much for the ideals of federalism.

The point, as you rightly note, is that Europe needs reform. There is no way that will happen as long as the EU's governing class believe they can continue to impose their will regardless of the views of the European people, as they have up to now. Something dramatic needs to happen to jolt them out of their inadequacy and complacency.

The real irony is that the shock of Brexit might just provoke the EU into making the necessary reforms and saving itself, while if we stay in it is difficult to see it lasting much longer. Therefore there are not really any good outcomes that will suit everyone to this referendum.
  • Options
    When I saw todays Mail my first thought was, Ye Gods I know they are anti EU but isnt this going a bit far......
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    Estobar said:

Here's a little anecdote. I once wrote a big feature for the Sunday Times and Rupert Murdoch pulled me in to meet his lawyers late on Saturday to clear it line by line. I was waiting on my own below when this flame of red descended the staircase. She stopped for some time and surveyed me with her take-you-to-bed eyes.

And that was the first time I met Rebekah Wade.

Are you sure they weren't F*** Off eyes? They are very similar!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Enjoy your break CycleFree - I trust you have already voted (however you have voted!) - and thank you for another interesting thread.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Thanks cyclefree. Even if we do vote remain, I suspect the EU will view us with suspicion, and our influence will be diminished somewhat (can you imagine a UK EU president?)
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    The problem with number 3 is that it doesn't address why the continent is the right level. Surely these things would be even better dealt with globally?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thanks cyclefree. Even if we do vote remain, I suspect the EU will view us with suspicion, and our influence will be diminished somewhat (can you imagine a UK EU president?)

I think that's down to the UK PM - if he "takes the fight to Europe" he may find allies among politicians facing similarly unhappy electorates. Never let a good crisis go to waste!
  • Options
    FPT
    Estobar said:

I still think Leave will win but there's little doubt the madness of Mair has had an effect.

It's remarkable though how people can move on and I expect by Monday people will largely be back to how they were before the attack give or take a % or two either way.

It's still all to play for. Leave will win, in my view, because there are a significant number of Shy Leave. One huge tabloid push on Thursday will see us across the line.

There is also the slight matter that the thick end of half the electorate voted by post while the polls were showing peak leave.

Everything the remain leaders are doing indicates weary resignation.
  • Options

RobD said:

I think that's down to the UK PM - if he "takes the fight to Europe" he may find allies among politicians facing similarly unhappy electorates. Never let a good crisis go to waste!
    Maybe the EU needs a president for the non-eurozone countries ;)
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941

Doesn't alter the fundamentals of lack of democracy.

So you are arguing that the United Kingdom where the current government got 37% of the vote yet is able to rule alone, and where we have an unelected yet huge second chamber, is somehow more democratic than the European Union?

The problem for Leave with trying the "democratic deficit" argument is that they are too easily knocked down by anyone in Remain who is not a Tory.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    All the new opinion polls reveal a very tight race.

A lot of postal ballots have already been cast.

That happened at a time when Leave was surging.

They may well decide the referendum.

I still believe Leave will win.

If you want to reduce immigration - and this is a major priority for many, if not most - then there is only one way to cast your ballot.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

But we are the EU - we helped shape it, our (elected) governments have shared in setting the rules that some people don't like.

A lot of people just don't get it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Hope you get some nice photos to share, Miss Cyclefree. Did you know the Colosseum is partially made of concrete? The port at Ostia is too (the Romans found out how to make concrete which set underwater).

Now, to dispute your points:
    1) This was almost certainly true in the past. But we're not in the 1950s. The EU isn't about stopping war in Europe (and the Bosnians and Ukraine might say it's somewhere between useless and harmful in this regard in the modern world), it's about bypassing national democracies to drag power from the accountable politicians of states to the deliberately complex and opaque bureaucracy of Brussels.

The idea the EU = Western civilisation would come as news to the Roman Empire, I am sure.

2) I agree federalism is not inherently evil. But the ends do not justify the means of ignoring referendum results, being deceitful to electorates and throwing funding at supposedly independent groups which then conclude more EU is the answer to every evil. If a federal EU were a good thing, why not make an honest case for it? Could it be that the little people can't be trusted?

3) Some things do require international co-operation. Counter-terrorism is a good example. Our closest partner here is the US. The Five Eyes group is ourselves, the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

The EU is totally unnecessary for international co-operation. People who pretend otherwise presumably also believe a wedding is a prerequisite for sex.

4) I agree. However, a market of 65m or so which acts in British interests is better for us making trading deals that advantage the UK than a market of 500m for which we are just 8% of the consideration. A deal which helps Italy, Spain and Poland but screws us would make sense for the EU. But not for us.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

RobD said:

But we are the EU - we helped shape it, our (elected) governments have shared in setting the rules that some people don't like.

Well our government hasn't agreed on all the rules, yet they get adopted anyway because of QMV.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The message is clear: if you don’t want your communities swamped by brown people, vote to leave the EU. This is racism. And if you wish to argue it isn’t, then I’m going to believe you’re a racist.

Of course, Farage and his fellow travellers – Tory MPs Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, for example – maintain their campaign isn’t about race, it’s about “sovereignty”, it’s about “believing in Britain”, it’s about “taking back control”. But, even if those claims are correct – and I am unconvinced they are – the Leave campaign is, to a very large degree, a racist one.

If you are a Leave voter and offended by this, then please raise your concerns with Farage, Johnson, and Gove. Your desire to leave the EU may not be based on matters of race but the campaign which might yet deliver your dream is. You, whether willingly or not, are on the side of racists.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/euan-mccolm-i-want-my-country-back-from-nasty-nationalists-1-4158434#ixzz4C0JVfl8S
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited June 2016
    Good Morning PBers.

Firstly many thanks for all the kind messages over the past weeks that have been passed onto me. I'm home now but a tad frail but uncommonly pleased to be in a position to be frail and not more deceased than one of Roger's political forecasts. :smile:

I'll be lurking for a few months (PB recuperative therapy I'm telling Mrs JackW and the quacks) so play nicely or the vacant Auchentennach dungeons will become available for miscreants and of course LibDems of any shade .... :naughty:

Cheers for now.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

If you want to reduce immigration - and this is a major priority for many, if not most - then there is only one way to cast your ballot.

If Leave win and Boris becomes PM then expect the immigration figures to stay much the same and expect Britain to get poorer. Expect the SNP to push for another Independence referendum.
    Following that the Tories will become so unpopular that Corbyn will win in 2020.
    Talk about unintended consequences.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    edited June 2016
    I remember some months ago now writing a similar list when someone had posted that they couldn't think of a single positive reason to vote remain. It is bordering on tragic that almost no one on the remain side has done so. No attempt has been made to sell a positive vision of the EU. The result is that when remain wins, as I still think it will, our relationship with the EU will be as problematic as ever.

Presumably this was group tested to death and the conclusion was reached that the swing voters in this were more likely to vote remain if they were scared by project fear rather than inspired by project EU. It's sad and there will be negative consequences.

We have not even been asked to stay in the relationship for the sake of the children, we have been asked to stay because we will supposedly be better off by a few quid if we continue to share the bills, friends without benefits, just an economic relationship. Really, who wants that?

Have a good holiday Cyclefree.
  • Options
    Good to hear from you @JackW. All the best to you&family.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Good Morning PBers.

Firstly many thanks for all the kind messages over the past weeks that have been passed onto me. I'm home now but a tad frail but uncommonly pleased to be in a position to be frail and not more deceased than one of Roger's political forecasts. :smile:

I'll be lurking for a few months (PB recuperative therapy I'm telling Mrs JackW and the quacks) so play nicely or the vacant Auchentennach dungeons will become available for miscreants and of course LibDems of any shade .... :naughty:

Cheers for now.

Best of luck Jack - sorry haven't been concentrating, so missed the fact that you were under the weather.

Some say polls influence results of elections, but clearly an what we really need is an ARSE predicting a Remain win to seal the deal.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Icarus said:

RobD said:

Well our government hasn't agreed on all the rules, yet they get adopted anyway because of QMV.
    We agreed to QMV so that we could get the things we wanted through!!
  • Options
    Icarus said:

RobD said:

Icarus said:

RobD said:

We agreed to QMV so that we could get the things we wanted through!!
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean we can't moan about it :p
  • Options
    Moan -Yes. Flounce out in a huff No!
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Moan -Yes. Flounce out in a huff No!

I don't think QMV votes not going our way is the only reason for the flounce.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The message is clear: if you don’t want your communities swamped by brown people, vote to leave the EU. This is racism. And if you wish to argue it isn’t, then I’m going to believe you’re a racist.

Of course, Farage and his fellow travellers – Tory MPs Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, for example – maintain their campaign isn’t about race, it’s about “sovereignty”, it’s about “believing in Britain”, it’s about “taking back control”. But, even if those claims are correct – and I am unconvinced they are – the Leave campaign is, to a very large degree, a racist one.

If you are a Leave voter and offended by this, then please raise your concerns with Farage, Johnson, and Gove. Your desire to leave the EU may not be based on matters of race but the campaign which might yet deliver your dream is. You, whether willingly or not, are on the side of racists.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/euan-mccolm-i-want-my-country-back-from-nasty-nationalists-1-4158434#ixzz4C0JVfl8S

What rubbish. The whole point is that skilled and valuable brown people cant come in at the moment because unskilled and not required white people from eastern Europe can come in without let or hindrance
  • Options
    Mr. W, welcome back :)
  • Options
    Betting Post
    For those who missed it yesterday, here are my thoughts on motorsport in Azerbaijan:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/azerbaijan-pre-race-2016.html

Worth noting the last time I offered three tips they all failed...
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Scott_P said:

What rubbish. The whole point is that skilled and valuable brown people cant come in at the moment because unskilled and not required white people from eastern Europe can come in without let or hindrance
    Its very telling, we have a thread header extolling the positive reasons to vote Remain yet in no time they resort to the default setting of calling us racists.

The conservative manifesto will be interesting:

We know we spent months abusing you but will you vote for us please?
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited June 2016

Scott_P said:

By that logic all the old and sick, of any skin colour or none, are neither valuable nor required. Can't you think before you post?.

• Options
    The betting has been fascinating, bookies vary from 7/4 to 5/2 Leave, a big margin in a 2 horse race, there is approx £60k wanting to lay Remain at around 2/5 on betfair where shrewd traders will have made a killing.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Talk about damning with faint praise! This is a header written by LEAVER trying to look on the bright side after a defeat.

I can't see a single argument that would arouse the passions of someone wanting to be enthused by REMAINing in the EU.

Even the first Campaign Broadcast with little Sam got the blood pumping more than this. Sorry but a complete fail

Have a good holiday
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Scott_P said:

By that logic all the old and sick, of any skin colour or none, are neither valuable nor required. Can't you think before you post?.

During the migrants crisis last summer, Mr Meeks of this parish was making the case for getting the young fit men into the country as they were potentially more useful to our country.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JackW said:

Good Morning PBers.

Cheers for now.

Welcome back.

They do say that having a specific objective helps people recover & I had a feeling you weren't going to sit the referendum out...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

This is the claim, but it's a not a plausible reading of British politics. The reason they can't come in is because British voters don't want a bunch more brown people moving to their country. There's a reason why Farage has been running on images of refugees from the Middle East or theoretical future migrants from Turkey instead of the actual people who everybody agrees can move to Britain because it's in the EU.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Unfortunately national policy has to be based on what is in the national interest, not what individuals might think on a personal level.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,844

Betting Post
    For those who missed it yesterday, here are my thoughts on motorsport in Azerbaijan:

Worth noting the last time I offered three tips they all failed...

Morning Mr Dancer. The one thing that will definitely happen in this race is unpredibility. I've got a pint on each of the Manors scoring points, it's going to be that unpredictable! In the meantime, Le Mans is looking like a good race and the GP2 will be worth checking out at 11 UK time.

BTW your forgot to mention you're channeling your inner @TSE with the Kylie reference in your piece ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Unfortunately national policy has to be based on what is in the national interest, not what individuals might think on a personal level.
    Nobody wants to import the old and sick but it makes them feel better if they say they do. Ask Yvette Cooper how the Syrians in her house are getting on.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

The national interest is greater than merely economic. Except to market traders, perhaps.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Mr. Sandpit, I used a brilliant comparison, not a tawdry pun. How dare you compare my eloquent and elegant literary outpourings with the kitsch scribblings of Mr. Eagles?! :p

The Manors have a credible chance of points. However, they've only managed to score in one race, ever. I think it's a reasonable bet, but not something I'm backing personally.

Edited extra bit: the odds are/were 13 and 15 (Wehrlein shorter than Haryanto, which I'm not sure about). I'd want something more like 20-25.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited June 2016
    Edmund,

"future migrants from Turkey instead of the actual people who everybody agrees can move to Britain because it's in the EU."

If you're in Tokyo, your ignorance is excusable. In Lincolnshire, the immigrants are Polish, Lithuanian, white and Christian and now make up 15 - 20% of the population from a standing start. Remember the reassurance that very few would come?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36389905

Is this racism or not? Or is it a matter of class sizes etc?

Edit: Oh, and they're good Catholic lads and lassies. They're also hard-working but I don't live in Boston anymore, so perhaps I shouldn't judge.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659

If Leave win and Boris becomes PM then expect the immigration figures to stay much the same and expect Britain to get poorer. Expect the SNP to push for another Independence referendum.
    Following that the Tories will become so unpopular that Corbyn will win in 2020.
    If Leave do win and we have a recession - however small and however caused - the Leave politicians will become toast. Since they specifically denied Leave would cause a recession - ANY recession will be blamed on them.

And yes Labour may win the next GE -under John McDonnell or Corbyn...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

If Leave do win and we have a recession - however small and however caused - the Leave politicians will become toast. Since they specifically denied Leave would cause a recession - ANY recession will be blamed on them.

And yes Labour may win the next GE -under John McDonnell or Corbyn...
    Yes, the public generally don't understand the difference between correlation and causation.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176
    A great post and had Remain tried to argue this it would have exposed the Leave campaign tactics which in turn would have had to change.

I think the EU *could* be a force for good. It just isn't at the moment. A European community of nations all friends and trading and cooperating is absolutely a positive. But Europe isn't the EU and I like many people support the idea of the former and not the realities of the latter. Its not expansion that's the concern - a big broad diverse trading area is better than a small and narrow one. Its just that the bigger it gets the more absurd ideas like a single currency or no Borders become

I'm an advocate for a federal UK and have been for 20 years. Its the only viable solution to give the composite nations (and possibly regions) their own identity and voice. But it has to be with consent. Its very very hard to make an argument for a European superstate that demonstrates the consent of the people of Europe in creating it.

Anyway, a positive case for Europe is what we in Labour have tried to make. It went down like a bucket of warm sick. Most people seem to have a negative view of Europe, I can't think where they might have gained such an impression....
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    JackW said:

Good Morning PBers.

Cheers for now.

Hi Jack. Your ARSE would have been up and down like a yoyo the last few weeks. The exercise might have done you good. Enjoy your recuperation
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Roger said:

Talk about damning with faint praise! This is a header written by LEAVER trying to look on the bright side after a defeat.

I can't see a single argument that would arouse the passions of someone wanting to be enthused by REMAINing in the EU.

Even the first Campaign Broadcast with little Sam got the blood pumping more than this. Sorry but a complete fail

Have a good holiday

Actually no it isn't. It was written because I wanted to try and set out what the positive case for the EU could be. It could have been longer. And I admit that I was tired when I wrote it. But I think it a good test to argue against yourself, to test your own arguments. I wasn't really trying to convince anyone. More trying to list out what the positives are because so few in the Remain camp had done so. I think there are also positives of free movement - but as I'd done a thread header on immigration didn't want to repeat myself.

I think the idea of the EU is a good one. The idea of finding a way to live together in peace is a noble one. But somewhere it has gone off the rails. That is a great pity. I don't think it too late for matters to change. Nothing is inevitable and nothing is set in stone. Events and all that.

In any case, I am sure we will be debating this again.

Thanks again for your headers, which I have enjoyed.

The sun is shining. In a few hours I will be in Arras. Life is good. :)
  • Options
    JackW said:

Good Morning PBers.

Cheers for now.

Good to hear you are back and well.
  • Options
    Amazingly Peter Hitchens hasn't been censored by the Mail on Sunday as he seemed to be before the 2015 election:

"The suggestion has been made that Mrs Cox died because of her views on the EU. The implication is that those with different views are in some way to blame for her death.
    We should scornfully reject this insinuation. Nobody on any side in the EU debate wishes any opponent dead.

In this country, no cause is served by violence and no rational person believes that it is.

Political murder is not common here, and in modern times has usually been the calculated and vengeful work of Irish criminal terror gangs.

What is regrettably common is the random killing of innocent people by the mentally ill. Numbers vary and can be calculated in many different ways, but even The Guardian accepts that in 2010 there were 40 such killings across the UK, carried out by patients with mental-health problems.

In 2005, there were 92. In the decade 2001-2010 there were 738 by one calculation, or 1,216 by another.

People going about their daily business are pushed under trains, stabbed, kicked to death, even beheaded by unhinged assailants, who have suddenly and unpredictably become violent.
    Many of these killers are known by the authorities to be ill but still allowed to walk the streets, because dozens of mental hospitals have been shut to save money.
    Some of them have become ill following long-term use of cannabis, now decriminalised in all but name. A long-overdue reversal of these foolish policies would be a better cause than trying to take partisan advantage of a human tragedy.

Disturbed people do sometimes embrace the wilder political and religious creeds.

But it is their mental illness, not these barely understood ‘opinions’, that makes them capable of the dreadful act of killing – an act which separates them from the rest of humanity.

The alleged killer, Thomas Mair, is said by neighbours to have a history of mental illness. By his own account it seems likely that he has taken some sort of medication at some stage.
    He is said by his family to have had no interest in politics. Let us leave Jo Cox’s family and friends to mourn. And let us all listen carefully to the evidence when it is, eventually, placed before the courts."

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Thanks for an interesting header Ms Cyclefree - have a wonderful holiday; the Amalfi coast is the place I go to (sometimes literally, sometimes just in my head) for relaxation. Heaven in Europe.

And welcome back Jack! swift recovery!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I want my country back from those who want us to return to the days when it was okay to joke about “darkies” and “poofs”. I want my country back from those who conceal their hatred beneath a cloak cut from “legitimate concerns”.

I want my country back from anyone who feeds hatred.

We may look across the Atlantic with horror at the behaviour of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, but do we so lack self-awareness that we cannot see the ideology of hatred that has swept him to within touching distance of victory is the same ideology of hatred that had so well served the Brexit campaign?

• Options

Scott_P said:

So are you saying we should have a policy of encouraging the worlds old and sick to move here?

That would do wonders for the NHS and the economy
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Edmund,

"future migrants from Turkey instead of the actual people who everybody agrees can move to Britain because it's in the EU."

If you're in Tokyo, your ignorance is excusable. In Lincolnshire, the immigrants are Polish, Lithuanian, white and Christian and now make up 15 - 20% of the population from a standing start. Remember the reassurance that very few would come?

Edit: Oh, and they're good Catholic lads and lassies. They're also hard-working but I don't live in Boston anymore, so perhaps I shouldn't judge.

The claim that I'm disputing is that if these white, Christian Polish and Lithuanian immigrants weren't allowed in, the UK would allow lots more brown people to enter the country instead. My reading of British politics is that this suggestion is incorrect, as exemplified by the fact that Leave campaigning on fear of hypothetical brown people, rather than the actually existing white people who you mention.

Are you claiming that it's true? Do you think Brexit would result in British voters agreeing to let in lots more brown people?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Cameron does seem to be politicising the murder here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36569338

He's trying to make it Jo Cox Vs Nigel Farage. May work. May backfire.

Edited extra bit: hmm. I may have misread it. Not sure. These are the relevant excerpts:

"Mr Cameron said the EU vote was the "ultimate democracy" and represented what Labour MP Jo Cox, who was killed on Thursday in her West Yorkshire constituency, had stood for.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, Mr Cameron, who is campaigning for Remain, said Mrs Cox had "embodied Britain at her best - a country that is decent and compassionate"."

and

""Are we going to choose Nigel Farage's vision - one which takes Britain backwards; divides rather than unites; and questions the motives of anyone who takes a different view," Mr Cameron wrote."
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I want my country back from those who want us to return to the days when it was okay to joke about “darkies” and “poofs”. I want my country back from those who conceal their hatred beneath a cloak cut from “legitimate concerns”.

We may look across the Atlantic with horror at the behaviour of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, but do we so lack self-awareness that we cannot see the ideology of hatred that has swept him to within touching distance of victory is the same ideology of hatred that had so well served the Brexit campaign?

I want my country back from people who claim that the concerns of the working poor subjects of this great nation are parochial, little englander or racist.

I'd maybe even settle for my party not insulting me.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Good Morning PBers.

Cheers for now.

Greetings and best wishes Jack! Sorely missing your ARSE4EU, but perhaps it could do with a rest so as to be fit for ARSE4US.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

So are you saying we should have a policy of encouraging the worlds old and sick to move here?

That would do wonders for the NHS and the economy
    I repeat the last six words of my previous post.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176

Betting Post

" I also expect many crashes"

No kidding. Its a preposterous circuit. Monza speeds, with longer on full throttle down the start finish straight than they had at Indianapolis. And at the end of that long 220mph run is a 90 left. If you get it wrong the choice is a hard barrier or a short stub end runoff where reversal onto the track is the only option. Indeed hard barriers or stubby runoff and reverse into traffic seems to be the pattern on a track hemmed in by a rather attractive city. How have they have passed a circuit as safe where the longest ever full throttle run is met with possible cars reversing at you into the braking zone?

Simple. MONEY. We have taken F1 to a place where the locals can't afford tickets to race around an unsafe absurd circuit (the uphill bit past the castle is insane) because the local dictator has a lot of money. Why are we following the Blessed Tony (for it is He) in taking money from a man who suppresses dissent and jails journalists? For a man as low as Bernie Ecclestone this is a new low.

I also expect many crashes. I pray that none of them are serious. The risk of some *bad* crashes is high. The last "European" GP on the Black Sea please.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scott_P

'The message is clear: if you don’t want your communities swamped by brown people, vote to leave the EU. This is racism. And if you wish to argue it isn’t, then I’m going to believe you’re a racist.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/euan-mccolm-i-want-my-country-back-from-nasty-nationalists-1-4158434#ixzz4C0JVfl8S '

Year 1 day 1 student union journalism.

The message is clear if you can't say anything positive about Remain then just smear Leave as racists.

• Options

Edited extra bit: hmm. I may have misread it. Not sure. These are the relevant excerpts:

"Mr Cameron said the EU vote was the "ultimate democracy" and represented what Labour MP Jo Cox, who was killed on Thursday in her West Yorkshire constituency, had stood for.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, Mr Cameron, who is campaigning for Remain, said Mrs Cox had "embodied Britain at her best - a country that is decent and compassionate"."

and

""Are we going to choose Nigel Farage's vision - one which takes Britain backwards; divides rather than unites; and questions the motives of anyone who takes a different view," Mr Cameron wrote."

Well, he stops short of inferring Nigel killed Jo Cox but his message is clear.

This is how our Prime Minister chooses to conduct himself.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

Peter Hitchens stated today in the Mail on Sunday that: "The suggestion has been made that Mrs Cox died because of her views on the EU. The implication is that those with different views are in some way to blame for her death. We should scornfully reject this insinuation."

I have a high regard for Peter Hitchens, but sadly, the facts contradict this statement. The accused made clear his motives in court. The events of last Thursday will influence moderate undecided voters next Thursday. They won't want to be perceived as closet racists.

I expect a Remain win by >10%.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Hope you get some nice photos to share, Miss Cyclefree. Did you know the Colosseum is partially made of concrete? The port at Ostia is too (the Romans found out how to make concrete which set underwater).

1) This was almost certainly true in the past. But we're not in the 1950s. The EU isn't about stopping war in Europe (and the Bosnians and Ukraine might say it's somewhere between useless and harmful in this regard in the modern world), it's about bypassing national democracies to drag power from the accountable politicians of states to the deliberately complex and opaque bureaucracy of Brussels.

The idea the EU = Western civilisation would come as news to the Roman Empire, I am sure.

2) I agree federalism is not inherently evil. But the ends do not justify the means of ignoring referendum results, being deceitful to electorates and throwing funding at supposedly independent groups which then conclude more EU is the answer to every evil. If a federal EU were a good thing, why not make an honest case for it? Could it be that the little people can't be trusted?

3) Some things do require international co-operation. Counter-terrorism is a good example. Our closest partner here is the US. The Five Eyes group is ourselves, the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

The EU is totally unnecessary for international co-operation. People who pretend otherwise presumably also believe a wedding is a prerequisite for sex.

4) I agree. However, a market of 65m or so which acts in British interests is better for us making trading deals that advantage the UK than a market of 500m for which we are just 8% of the consideration. A deal which helps Italy, Spain and Poland but screws us would make sense for the EU. But not for us.

Mr Dancer: all fair points but I will leave others to debate them.

My daughter is studying Classical Civilisation at university so one of the purposes of this trip is for her to see some of the sites she has been studying and to instruct me in the finer points of the art/architecture and history. I am really looking forward to this, not just because she's so enthusiastic about the period but also because it's lovely having this opportunity to develop our relationship and for me to learn from her.

The area around Naples is fascinating and when I have more time free from work I intend to spend more time exploring.

My big dream was to explore all of the ancient Roman world i.e. Libya - Leptis Magna and Syria and Tunisia etc. But that bit will have to be postponed sine die, alas. Still plenty in Italy itself.
  • Options

and

Well, he stops short of inferring Nigel killed Jo Cox but his message is clear.

This is how our Prime Minister chooses to conduct himself.
    i thought the same thing when I read his Telegraph piece. A shame.
  • Options
    The best arguments for Remain that I've seen were made by a young Canadian girl who had been to two European Universities....

........who talked about a unique community of twenty eight nations all with their own culture and language where young people could move freely with shared values of democracy and human rights forming a community unique in the world.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Have a good holiday

Actually no it isn't. It was written because I wanted to try and set out what the positive case for the EU could be. It could have been longer. And I admit that I was tired when I wrote it. But I think it a good test to argue against yourself, to test your own arguments. I wasn't really trying to convince anyone. More trying to list out what the positives are because so few in the Remain camp had done so. I think there are also positives of free movement - but as I'd done a thread header on immigration didn't want to repeat myself.

I think the idea of the EU is a good one. The idea of finding a way to live together in peace is a noble one. But somewhere it has gone off the rails. That is a great pity. I don't think it too late for matters to change. Nothing is inevitable and nothing is set in stone. Events and all that.

In any case, I am sure we will be debating this again.

Thanks again for your headers, which I have enjoyed.

The sun is shining. In a few hours I will be in Arras. Life is good. :)
    Yes, and I am sad that a positive campaign has been so neglected by the official team. The tone within the LD documents has been more positive, and I think in Labour too. A large part of the reason that the campaign has been so negative is that it has been mostly a blue on blue internal battle. Civil wars are very rarely civil. I was trying to write a positive header, but found it hard to find the time. Respect to those who do!

I hope the sea air is good for your chest. Petrochemical fumes are a major respiratory irritant, so avoid these as far as possible and enjoy the dolce vita. Europe is a great place.

• Options
    Edmund,

The point I'm making is that concern about "furriners" isn't restricted to brown-skinned people. I'd expect an invasion of cockneys or scousers would involve some of the same problems.

Don't assume everything is "racist". When it comes to hatred, I think the people screaming racist at every opportunity need few lessons in that.

Yes, there are real racists. But the Gordon Brown problem is a big issue. Mention the touchy subject and you get an automatic response. And it often said with real hatred.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    Roger said:

The best arguments for Remain that I've seen were made by a young Canadian girl who had been to two European Universities....

........who talked about a unique community of twenty eight nations all with their own culture and language where young people could move freely with shared values of democracy and human rights forming a community unique in the world.

Sorry, but that is just dewy eyed idealistic sentimental claptrap.

Vapid Bilge is an understatement
  • Options
    I may yet be proven wrong, but trying to smear Leave with what this dripping wet leadership likes to think of Farage seems to be the wrong message for the working classes of this country who are pleased to hear someone share their concerns. Apart from a few notable exceptions, Field, Stuart and Skinner, Labour have become the party that is pro emoting, but anti governing and anti doing.

If I am right, we'll see huge Leave votes in Wales, the North and Midlands.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Mr. Pioneers, aye, the city does look rather nice, I must admit.

I agree it's crazy to go to Baku. With Monza, Spa and Interlagos under threat, there's a serious risk that F1 will pass the event horizon into doom and even long-term fans will prefer to switch off rather than watch a season that's 2/3 tedious, semi-identical street circuits because most of the classics have been let go.

F1 cars are very safe, but obviously there's only so far that goes. I'd guess the biggest risk is of an over-the-cockpit collision (as per Spa 2012 when Grosjean's wheel almost took Alonso's head off).

Edited extra bit: that said, the Baku circuit is more entertaining than I thought it might be. But I think the stewards will be earning their pay.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Interesting that the best arguments for Remain come from a Canadian. Nobody living here is capable of making such an argument. In fact ordinary people will read the condescending nature of your post and rush to vote Leave.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, going to Taranto?

Founded as a Greek colony (Taras), it became Latinised as Tarentum and played important roles in both the wars featuring Pyrrhus, as well as the Second Punic War. No idea as to the state of the architecture, though.

Your daughter sounds like a young lady of excellent taste.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

The national interest is greater than merely economic. Except to market traders, perhaps.

Yes, hence why we welcome asylum seekers etc but are less keen on economic migrants.

But I don't think it's in the national interest to accept all the world's old and sick, which is what would happen if you changed your criteria so that you don't discriminate against them (We may, of course, disagree on that)
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    Mortimer said:

I may yet be proven wrong, but trying to smear Leave with what this dripping wet leadership likes to think of Farage seems to be the wrong message for the working classes of this country who are pleased to hear someone share their concerns. Apart from a few notable exceptions, Field, Stuart and Skinner, Labour have become the party that is pro emoting, but anti governing and anti doing.

It is the post Diana style emoting that will do for them.

They seem to think emotions are more important than facts and logic.

It is an immaturity caused by living in a wealthy bubble not having to face the daily travials to survive that the rest of us face.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Mortimer said:

+1. It's also interesting locally to see people arguing that Nissan and Hitachi workers will vote remain because their jobs depend on it. Forgetting that those companies are both Japanese.

The European companies who opened up factories in the North East (Siemens I'm looking at you) left at the first sign of an economic downturn to keep their Continental factories open...

It's reasons like that which make me think the size of the Leave vote was originally underestimated. Personally I haven't got a clue what the result will be and I doubt anyone else has....
  • Options
    daodao said:

Peter Hitchens stated today in the Mail on Sunday that: "The suggestion has been made that Mrs Cox died because of her views on the EU. The implication is that those with different views are in some way to blame for her death. We should scornfully reject this insinuation."

I have a high regard for Peter Hitchens, but sadly, the facts contradict this statement. The accused made clear his motives in court. The events of last Thursday will influence moderate undecided voters next Thursday. They won't want to be perceived as closet racists.

I expect a Remain win by >10%.
    Given it is only members of the political class, the lefty journo class (and a handful on here) that think voting Leave suggests anything more than wanting to leave the EU, I suspect it will have no impact. Campaign fatigue was already setting in. I don't see any reason why Remain would win given how unpopular it was last week.
  • Options
    Cameron is an opportunist.

Had the situation been reversed, he'd have accused the opposition of smearing.

It's politics.

• Options
    CD13 said:

Edmund,

The point I'm making is that concern about "furriners" isn't restricted to brown-skinned people. I'd expect an invasion of cockneys or scousers would involve some of the same problems.

Don't assume everything is "racist". When it comes to hatred, I think the people screaming racist at every opportunity need few lessons in that.

Yes, there are real racists. But the Gordon Brown problem is a big issue. Mention the touchy subject and you get an automatic response. And it often said with real hatred.

I didn't mention racism, and neither did I say concern about foreigners was restricted to brown-skinned people.

What I am saying is that British people don't want more immigrants in Britain, and they *particularly* don't want more brown, non-Christian immigrants. There are various reasons why this might be - for example Britain has had terrorism problems in the past, and people often bring up cultural issues here - and you can argue about how well grounded they are. But I think as a reading of British politics, it's obviously correct. Restricting EU immigration won't make British voters want to open up to more brown immigrants.

I note that you haven't actually said that you agree with the claim I'm disputing.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    For those of you betting on turnout and also those who think it may affect outcome there is heavy rain likely spreading from southern Britain in the morning to the north afternoon. A particularly heavy pulse looks to hit the north-east early evening.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited June 2016
    Estobar said:

For those of you betting on turnout and also those who think it may affect outcome there is heavy rain likely spreading from southern Britain in the morning to the north afternoon. A particularly heavy pulse looks to hit the north-east early evening.

Makes me think of the West Wing where Josh is freaking out over a rain storm on election night. That would be a great academic study to do
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Edmund,

I'm not disputing some of your reading of this.

It's the broad brush assumptions. There are enough racists around, you don't have to invent a few more.

Anyway, we don't totally disagree, so on that note, I have to go.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Edmund,

The claim that I'm disputing is that if these white, Christian Polish and Lithuanian immigrants weren't allowed in, the UK would allow lots more brown people to enter the country instead. My reading of British politics is that this suggestion is incorrect, as exemplified by the fact that Leave campaigning on fear of hypothetical brown people, rather than the actually existing white people who you mention.

Are you claiming that it's true? Do you think Brexit would result in British voters agreeing to let in lots more brown people?
    The concern about immigration is not about immigration per se, but two consequences: alienation/rapid change (the creation of new micro-communities within the country rather than integration) and economic competition for low skilled jobs.

If the balance of of immigration were to shift to high skilled techies - for example - who (I assume) would be more likely to integrate then, regardless of the colour of their skill, the concern about immigration for most would subside.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Good morning, everyone.

MD, just the same as Scottish Independence, if you are 8% you have no power , you just do as you are told and accept the crumbs you are given.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Edmund,

Considering the immigration figures for last year show total immigration figures of 288 000 Non-EU migrants last year (177 000 net), I find it hard to believe that the Leave campaigners will support more of this to replace our EU migration. I expect to see a squadron of the porcine air force in formation flying by my window first!
  • Options
    This place is going to be hilarious on friday regardless of the result. The worst traits of human nature will be on display as insults fly and recriminations begin. It'll be an anonymous online version of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Irony claxon. 'Right-on' folk are completely smearing anyone who dares suggest Leave as Faragist racists. That is questioning the motives of anyone who takes a different view.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Scott_P said:

I applaud his conversion to fighting the Brian Spanners of this world.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

and

Nakedly political and very odious.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

CD13 said:

Edmund,

Considering the immigration figures for last year show total immigration figures of 288 000 Non-EU migrants last year (177 000 net), I find it hard to believe that the Leave campaigners will support more of this to replace our EU migration. I expect to see a squadron of the porcine air force in formation flying by my window first!
    I will.
  • Options
    El_DaveEl_Dave Posts: 145
    eek said:

Mortimer said:

+1. It's also interesting locally to see people arguing that Nissan and Hitachi workers will vote remain because their jobs depend on it. Forgetting that those companies are both Japanese.

The European companies who opened up factories in the North East (Siemens I'm looking at you) left at the first sign of an economic downturn to keep their Continental factories open...

It's reasons like that which make me think the size of the Leave vote was originally underestimated. Personally I haven't got a clue what the result will be and I doubt anyone else has....
    I think both Nissan and Hitachi have put out public statements that the vote will not affect their UK operations.

• Options

This place is going to be hilarious on friday regardless of the result. The worst traits of human nature will be on display as insults fly and recriminations begin. It'll be an anonymous online version of the Conservative Party.

I know. I wish I had the day off work.
    If my job interview goes well tomorrow I'll take it off (happy to lose some pay to have more time off)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Charles said:

CD13 said:

Edmund,

The concern about immigration is not about immigration per se, but two consequences: alienation/rapid change (the creation of new micro-communities within the country rather than integration) and economic competition for low skilled jobs.

If the balance of of immigration were to shift to high skilled techies - for example - who (I assume) would be more likely to integrate then, regardless of the colour of their skill, the concern about immigration for most would subside.
    I think there is no doubt that middle class migrants integrate better. East african asians in Leicester vs some other communities for example. In part it is attitude, and in part geographic dispersion.
  • Options
    If it's 50.4% either way this place is going to go ape
  • Options
    Freggles said:

I know. I wish I had the day off work.
    If my job interview goes well tomorrow I'll take it off (happy to lose some pay to have more time off)
    I was banned a couple of weeks ago, that's fair enough, I fully expect a few sin bins this friday, can't wait.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Roger said:

I met my Italian wife through Erasmus- an EU sponsored University exchange scheme. She is an exceptional women and has been a highly regarded and conscientious employee for UK companies ever since, paying taxes of course. She has only ever taken the odd day off.

In return whilst living in Oxfordshire in 2005, she had to drive past banner after banner of racist UKIP slogans "No to EU immigration" as she drove home. And now this referendum which has upset her so much she cannot even talk about it.
This discussion has been closed.