Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s 10/1 on a second EU Referendum being held before July

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s 10/1 on a second EU Referendum being held before July 2017

Ladbrokes have a market up on a second referendum to be held before July 2017 at odds of 10/1.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Does the bet pay out on any referendum?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Second like Remain.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited June 2016

Does the bet pay out on any referendum?

Has to be an EU related referendum.

A Scottish independence referendum wouldn't count.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,663
    MP_SE said:

I doubt many will miss him.

That seems unlikely - despite his EU views not being in vogue now, he has served his party for a very long time and in some very senior positions, I am sure he will be missed.

I'm just sad as I was wondering if in the event of a Leave win he might be persuaded to stand for the LDs in 2020, just to troll those who like to say that a man who will have been a Tory MP for 50 years is not a Tory.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2016
    Honestly, we should pick a topic and have a referendum every year. They're such fun and bring out the very best in the British people. Referenda could be another gift we bequeath to the world.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Nope, not going to happen. But at 10/1? Eh.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    John_M said:

Referenda could be another gift we bequeath to the world.

Refrendums are a European idea...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Referenda could be another gift we bequeath to the world.

Refrendums are a European idea...
    Yeah, but we can perfect them.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:

Honestly, we should pick a topic and have a referendum every year. They're such fun and bring out the very best in the British people. Referenda could be another gift we bequeath to the world.

:naughty:
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,292
    I suspect, post-Brexit, Boris and Gove will get squeamish and come up with a good old political fudge and row-back. They won't want the fallout of full Brexit on their heads, and we'll end up with EU membership in all but name. They'll be no second referendum though - no need as what follows will be entirely in Boris's gift.
  • Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 78
    I wonder which cabinet member that was. I think referendums are a good idea, but they require decency in both sides. We should avoid the scaremongering about Turks by Leave and the exploitation of people's deaths by Remain. Although I can see why politicians don't like them. They reduce their own power.
  • Options

I suspect, post-Brexit, Boris and Gove will get squeamish and come up with a good old political fudge and row-back. They won't want the fallout of full Brexit on their heads, and we'll end up with EU membership in all but name. They'll be no second referendum though - no need as what follows will be entirely in Boris's gift.

I'm voting Leave for entirely sober reasons.

However, my inner naughty child would love to see the post-Brexit political shenanigans across the London-Berlin-Paris-Brussels axis. It would be like a real life Game of Thrones only with fewer dragons.
  • Options
    El_DaveEl_Dave Posts: 145
    I think a general election mandate to leave the EU is more likely. Probably the Conservatives with a Leave supporting leader.

France did something similar after their referendum rejecting the EU Constitution. Mr Sarkozy made signing the Lisbon Treaty part of his presidential election platform.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Boris to be PM by 1st Jan at 8/1 seems tasty. But I've lost enough this year so far, so unless there's an upturn with my remaining POTUS related bets I'll probably not go for it.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Another referendum next year? Oh. How exciting. :dismal face:
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

How's the mumps coming along Anne? If it's any consolation, I don't expect another referendum in my lifetime. The elites don't like it up 'em.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Well, the politicians have managed to focus the rage of both Muslims and half the English on themselves, and the contempt of everybody else. This is how the troubles started.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    El_Dave said:

I think a general election mandate to leave the EU is more likely. Probably the Conservatives with a Leave supporting leader.

France did something similar after their referendum rejecting the EU Constitution. Mr Sarkozy made signing the Lisbon Treaty part of his presidential election platform.

I think I agree with that.

It is not possible for ~ 50 per cent of the population to want to leave (and probably a further 20 per cent to want significant EU reform) without one of the major parties becoming explicitly anti-EU.

There are just too many votes to be gathered in bashing the EU. (And after all, that is basically one of the reasons Cameron got his majority)

I think it will be the Tories that becomes a Leaver party, but it is not out of the question it could be Labour.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Might be used as a tool to educate ourselves in genuine & constructive discussion.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited June 2016
    I've been quite interested that Jo Cox at 41 is now considered to have been a "young mum".

Even in 2016 I would have put that threshold at 25 or 26.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

John_M said:

Might be used as a tool to educate ourselves in genuine & constructive discussion.
    And that's been going so well this time around :-)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Someone agrees with my comment in the last thread (in a more sweary way)
    ...as one minister told The Sunday Times .. “Can we please have no more f****** referendums again. Ever.”
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

...as one minister told The Sunday Times .. “Can we please have no more f****** referendums again. Ever.”

I bet it was a Europhile who said that.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

John_M said:

Practice makes perfect!
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

That would require a referendum.
  • Options
    John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

How's the mumps coming along Anne? If it's any consolation, I don't expect another referendum in my lifetime. The elites don't like it up 'em.
    Thanks for asking - the hamster face went after 6 days or so & I thought it was just a case of getting going again. Then a few days later the high temp came back for 3-4 days. Better now but very tired & washed out.

Still, definite improvement, that's the important thing. And I'm expecting to be able to get to the polling station under my own steam (I hope). :smile:
  • Options
    MattW said:

I've been quite interested that Jo Cox at 41 is now considered to have been a "young mum".

I assume it's journalistic short-hand for 'a mum of young children'.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016
    AnneJGP said:

We could get excited if it was a further referendum on AV...

Next year the Germans and French have their elections, and I cannot see either of those rolling out a much changed deal for us before those were out of the way.

I could see the possibility of one when the article 50 proposals are finalised, but suspect those will not give us advantageous terms.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited June 2016
    No, there won't be another referendum on the EU while any of us are alive.

So that means the "referendum lock" will be very quickly repealed, followed inevitably by another batch of "integration".

Oh and when we join the Euro that will be without a referendum as well.

This. Is. It.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

No, there won't be another referendum on the EU while any of us are alive.

So that means the "referendum lock" will be very quickly repealed, followed inevitably by another batch of "integration".

Oh and when we join the Euro that will be without a referendum as well.

This. Is. It.

Take the long view. No polity lasts forever. History is on your side.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    El_Dave said:

No. No. No. The Conservatives are THE EU Party. The Tories took us in. The Tories are now in the process of keeping us there forever. No Tory leader will ever stand on the platform of taking us out of the EU... Or if they do it will just be a pack of lies.

Conservatives = The EU. Was forever thus.

Now, I rekon the chances are good that when we join the Euro it will be a "Tory" government that brings us to end game... Given it was a Tory government that started it off all those years ago.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970

F1: race didn't go according to script. Hmm.

There won't be another referendum of that kind. It'd be asking people to reject a deal which whoever negotiated it thought was good for the UK. Given how this one has gone, the politicians will be keen to avoid another.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,292
    We're seeing a glimpse of the future. Boris revives his illegal immigrant amnesty.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/19/michael-gove-george-osborne-condemn-nigel-farage-anti-immigration-poster-eu

Farage has now marginalised himself, and the pro-immigration Brexiteers are clearly on the march.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

El_Dave said:

No. No. No. The Conservatives are THE EU Party. The Tories took us in. The Tories are now in the process of keeping us there forever. No Tory leader will ever stand on the platform of taking us out of the EU... Or if they do it will just be a pack of lies.

That's my position now. All The Same Party if we Remain.
  • Options

El_Dave said:

I think I agree with that.

It is not possible for ~ 50 per cent of the population to want to leave (and probably a further 20 per cent to want significant EU reform) without one of the major parties becoming explicitly anti-EU.

There are just too many votes to be gathered in bashing the EU. (And after all, that is basically one of the reasons Cameron got his majority)

I think it will be the Tories that becomes a Leaver party, but it is not out of the question it could be Labour.
    Frankly, it would be a relief if a major party did genuinely adopt an anti-EU stance. It would at least spike the guns of the extremists on any wing.

But the Conservatives? They've already shown that they're anti-EU in outward form only. As soon as the EU-scepticism is put to the test, it turns into EU support.

Never mind the little people. Big business, one way or another.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Shorthand for 'mother of young children', more likely.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

John_M said:

Shows we need the practice.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

El_Dave said:

My very bestest, most favouritest quote of the whole campaign was Samantha Cameron in the Daily Mail:

"But I look at my daughter Nancy and think that in only six years she could be starting an apprenticeship."

How I laughed - almost as much as when Ed M. was being interviewed in one of his kitchens.

Unfortunately for us, our leaders are out of touch, terrible liars and don't even bother to conceal their view that we're pretty stupid and, as ever, racist to boot.

• Options

Boris to be PM by 1st Jan at 8/1 seems tasty. But I've lost enough this year so far, so unless there's an upturn with my remaining POTUS related bets I'll probably not go for it.

Correct decision ...... Boris ain't going to be PM by 01.01.16 or at any other time, he has nowhere near enough supporters amongst the Tory MPS to give him any realistic chance of winning.
    Btw, many thanks for the link to the earliest declaring councils as regards the referendum vote. You mentioned 2 or 3 of the contenders incl my own area, Wandsworth, but once again it seems Sunderland look virtually certain to win this race by a country mile.
    The big question, from a betting perspective, is what exactly can we take from their result?
  • Options
    "Every single 2016 presidential TV ad currently airing in a battleground state is either from Hillary Clinton's campaign or the Democratic outside groups supporting her."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/clinton-democrats-dominate-2016-battleground-airwaves-n594676
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

El_Dave said:

My very bestest, most favouritest quote of the whole campaign was Samantha Cameron in the Daily Mail:

"But I look at my daughter Nancy and think that in only six years she could be starting an apprenticeship."

How I laughed - almost as much as when Ed M. was being interviewed in one of his kitchens.

Unfortunately for us, our leaders are out of touch, terrible liars and don't even bother to conceal their view that we're pretty stupid and, as ever, racist to boot.

I hear she's got something lined up in a Sports Direct warehouse.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

El_Dave said:

That Sam Cam intv was just beyond WTF. Hoping her daughter would get an apprenticeship - wot like a welder?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579

AnneJGP said:

Next year the Germans and French have their elections, and I cannot see either of those rolling out a much changed deal for us before those were out of the way.

I could see the possibility of one when the article 50 proposals are finalised, but suspect those will not give us advantageous terms.
    As soon as Article 50 is invoked the rebate is dead - whatever happens subsequently. And since returning would involve both the Euro and Shengen I can't see it happening in decades....assuming either the EU or UK are around in decades.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

El_Dave said:

That Sam Cam intv was just beyond WTF. Hoping her daughter would get an apprenticeship - wot like a welder?
    I think she probably meant internship, at the Times or something like that.
  • Options

"Every single 2016 presidential TV ad currently airing in a battleground state is either from Hillary Clinton's campaign or the Democratic outside groups supporting her."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/clinton-democrats-dominate-2016-battleground-airwaves-n594676

Interesting. We saw Trump's poll numbers slip when the opposition to him in the GOP primaries went into overdrive but he was able to pull it back. Are we seeing the same effect now, and will Hillary run out of ammo by November?
  • Options

F1: race didn't go according to script. Hmm.

There won't be another referendum of that kind. It'd be asking people to reject a deal which whoever negotiated it thought was good for the UK. Given how this one has gone, the politicians will be keen to avoid another.

Bad luck Morris - I'm pleased to report that my suggested bet that Vettel would win a podium place, delivered comfortably at generous odds of 7/4 .... I hope some of you guys got on this one.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

As soon as Article 50 is invoked the rebate is dead - whatever happens subsequently. And since returning would involve both the Euro and Shengen I can't see it happening in decades....assuming either the EU or UK are around in decades.
    We have a veto over budgetary matters so the rebate will stay as long as we are in membership.

If we Leave then it would be for ever, with the EU in its current form at least. Any country could veto us.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

El_Dave said:

I hear she's got something lined up in a Sports Direct warehouse.
    :smiley:

It's when I saw the Sam Cam interview that I really thought LEAVE might do this...

I think it was Tim who pointed out that you know when Dave's in real trouble because he brings out Sam Cam to save his bacon... ;)
  • Options

Correct decision ...... Boris ain't going to be PM by 01.01.16 or at any other time, he has nowhere near enough supporters amongst the Tory MPS to give him any realistic chance of winning.
    Btw, many thanks for the link to the earliest declaring councils as regards the referendum vote. You mentioned 2 or 3 of the contenders incl my own area, Wandsworth, but once again it seems Sunderland look virtually certain to win this race by a country mile.
    The big question, from a betting perspective, is what exactly can we take from their result?
    Good question. Some say that the Nissan factory will be a factor. Observer newspaper says that more interesting will be two other early results (but not 1st) of Newcastle and Hartlepool. If Newcastle goes Leave then it looks like its all over for Remain. Hartlepool will probably be Leave.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, it's ok, I backed Perez at 6 for a podium :)

Writing the post-race piece now.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

We have a veto over budgetary matters so the rebate will stay as long as we are in membership.

If we Leave then it would be for ever, with the EU in its current form at least. Any country could veto us.
    Once we invoke Article 50 we are not at the table so have no veto.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

AnneJGP said:

Surely it is only dead once we leave the EU?
  • Options

Interesting. We saw Trump's poll numbers slip when the opposition to him in the GOP primaries went into overdrive but he was able to pull it back. Are we seeing the same effect now, and will Hillary run out of ammo by November?
    She has a ton of money, some of which has to be spent I believe before convention. Also it seems Trump just isn't planning or buying the local market, state-by-state ad buys. I see chatter saying basically he doesn't know what he is doing.
  • Options

If Sunderland is less than 53% for Leave then Remain will win, from demograhic profile. At least that was the verdict when discussed on here a week or two back.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

AnneJGP said:

Not true. Once we invoke Article 50 we continue to take part in the normal business of the EU. We are only excluded from those discussions and votes related to our withdrawal. All the treaties and their terms only cease to apply once an agreement on withdrawal has been made.
  • Options

I see chatter saying basically he doesn't know what he is doing.
    That's been said since he got into the race and so far no-one's made money betting against him...
  • Options
    John_M said:
    Given our fuel and airport taxes are among the highest in Europe it would probaby mean a tax cut for UK consumers!

That was the point you were making, wasn't it? ;-)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

AnneJGP said:

Did you actually read Article 50 ? Para 4 says we are not at the table for matters concerning the withdrawal, why would it bother saying that if we were not at the table anyway. All our MEPs are similarly still in place, we have full rights of membership until we are not a member at the end of the negotiation.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Again not true. There is no change in our legal relationship with the EU until we leave. Invoking Article 50 does not remove our veto.
  • Options

Mr. Putney, it's ok, I backed Perez at 6 for a podium :)

Writing the post-race piece now.

Well done indeed! A good price too - OK it doesn't quite match your 250/1 staggering winning triumph of a few weeks ago, but at least it puts food on the table.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

All the treaties and their terms only cease to apply once an agreement on withdrawal has been made.
    Or two years is up, which ever is sooner.
  • Options

Good question. Some say that the Nissan factory will be a factor. Observer newspaper says that more interesting will be two other early results (but not 1st) of Newcastle and Hartlepool. If Newcastle goes Leave then it looks like its all over for Remain. Hartlepool will probably be Leave.
    The monkey hangers will vote Leave by a mile. Newcastle will be interesting - will Jesmond and Gosforth turn up in large enough numbers to outvote Benwell and Kenton?
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

All the treaties and their terms only cease to apply once an agreement on withdrawal has been made.
    At the end of which we leave anyway unless there is an extension. There is basically no period during which we are still members but do not have the same voting rights as we have now (with the exception of the discussions regarding our leaving)
  • Options
    edited June 2016

AnneJGP said:

So not actually as soon as Article 50 is invoked as you claimed about a dozen posts up from here, talk about shifting the basis of your arguments.... and the two years can be extended indefinitely by mutual agreement.
  • Options

John_M said:
    Given our fuel and airport taxes are among the highest in Europe it would probaby mean a tax cut for UK consumers!

That was the point you were making, wasn't it? ;-)
    I always enjoy your optimism and essential faith in the goodness of the European movement Carlotta :).
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

El_Dave said:

I think she probably meant internship, at the Times or something like that.
    Yep, it made her sound very silly. Pure unadulterated politicspeak, intended for the masses.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Yes - but since we aren't at the table for our exit deal - and if we don't like what's offered - tough - they just have to wait two years and we're out.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, yeah, bit lucky, but I'm flabbergasted there was neither safety car nor more than four retirements. Safety car odds were just 1.11.

Wasn't planning to back that (I was checking his odds to be top 6 but happened to notice his podium odds seemed long), so glad it came off.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

If Sunderland is less than 53% for Leave then Remain will win, from demograhic profile. At least that was the verdict when discussed on here a week or two back.
    Apparently a Voodo poll in the Sunderland echo has leave on 70%. I will watch those results with interest.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Again not true. There is no change in our legal relationship with the EU until we leave. Invoking Article 50 does not remove our veto.
    The count down clock starts ticking - and in two years we would be out. If we were to try a reverse ferret then I doubt we would get friendly terms.

I thought you chaps were keen to leave?
  • Options

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Yes - but since we aren't at the table for our exit deal - and if we don't like what's offered - tough - they just have to wait two years and we're out.
    Without wishing to sound difficult, it is my understanding, though I could be wrong, that we have something that they may want, like for example, access to our market. It isn't like we are naked with no bargaining chips is it?
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

The count down clock starts ticking - and in two years we would be out. If we were to try a reverse ferret then I doubt we would get friendly terms.

I am keen to leave. I am just pointing out the idiocy of you claiming that once we invoke Article 50 we would no longer have the rebate. Once we invoke Article 50 the rebate and our ability to protect it does not change until we leave the EU at which point of course it no longer matters.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Without wishing to sound difficult, it is my understanding, though I could be wrong, that we have something that they may want, like for example, access to our market. It isn't like we are naked with no bargaining chips is it?
    Carlotta sees the UK rather as Oliver Twist asking Mr Schäuble Bumble the Beadle for more.

MORE!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    F1: my expert (ahem) post-race analysis is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/azerbaijan-post-race-analysis-2016.html

Concise version:
    Dull, but profitable.

Edited extra bit: incidentally, always appreciate the comments. Interesting to hear what others think of my bets, and what they themselves have been betting.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Indeed. But we'd need better "negotiator's" than Cameron and Osborne lol!
  • Options

Apparently a Voodo poll in the Sunderland echo has leave on 70%. I will watch those results with interest.
    Though does the Sunderland counting area include some places outside the city?
  • Options

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

But do they want access to our market as much as we want access to theirs?

And are we trying to preserve some grand project where a little pain might be worth it "pour encourager les autres"?

This is SINDYRef revisited where the Nats thought they held all the cards...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited June 2016
    Just been chatting with my brother who works in Germany.

He told me the german public are now realising just how important the UK is as a trading partner - 3rd largest export market worth 90 billion a year. They're starting to get very worried.
  • Options

Mr. Putney, yeah, bit lucky, but I'm flabbergasted there was neither safety car nor more than four retirements. Safety car odds were just 1.11.

Wasn't planning to back that (I was checking his odds to be top 6 but happened to notice his podium odds seemed long), so glad it came off.

Totally agree - I watched David Coulthard's commentary on Rosberg's pole position winning lap yesterday and the track just looked so very dangerous at any number of different points - it also looked ugly. I can't imagine it will survive for long as a F1 GP venue.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

If Sunderland is more than 60% for Leave, I think we can reasonably assume a Leave victory. (85%+ probability).

On the other hand, if it's below 50% for Leave, I'd flip it, and assume a similar likelihood for Remain.

I would point out that local papers' voodoo polls do not have a good record. I remember in the famous battle for Bedfordshire North in 1992, when the local newspaper had the Labour candidate Pat Hall on something like 50%, with the Conservatives on 35% and the Alliance Social and Liberal Democrats on about 10%. The eventual result did not look anything like that.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

He told me the german public are now realising just how important the UK is as a trading partner - 3rd largest export market worth 90 billion a year. They're starting to get very worried.

Well they should have got worried back in January, shouldn't they!!! We've been talking about BMWs and Mercedes since the year dot.
  • Options

No idea.

I'll be at a count I suspect, but will be watching Sunderland, Hartlepool and Newcastle with interest.

If it's heavy one way or another we will at least have a feel of the night.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Based on state polls, PEC is currently giving Trump a 35% chance, far better than the markets...
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, I can't money any reason why it'll return. But money Ecclestone seems to like it. We may see it for money years.
  • Options

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

And are we trying to preserve some grand project where a little pain might be worth it "pour encourager les autres"?

I think the question you have to ask is how strong is the hand they are holding.

Is the Euro zone a land of economic strength that can bear the reduction in access to the UK, for £289 billion in exports, or is it riddled with debt, deflation and austerity?

We've never had a stronger hand to play.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    weejonnie said:

Well they should have got worried back in January, shouldn't they!!! We've been talking about BMWs and Mercedes since the year dot.
    The german press has been interesting to read. It's all how could anyone wish to leave ? The tone though has changed in the last month from a lap of victory round the park to this is looking a bit scary.

If remain get it they'll be intolerable.
  • Options

Mr. Putney, I can't money any reason why it'll return. But money Ecclestone seems to like it. We may see it for money years.

I feel like there's a hidden message in this, but it's too money for me. Whoops. Too subtle.
  • Options

No idea.

I'll be at a count I suspect, but will be watching Sunderland, Hartlepool and Newcastle with interest.

I would expect Sunderland to be 6-8% more friendly to Leave than the country as a whole. If it wasn't for Nissan, I'd say 12-15% more friendly.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Both sides are ultimately bound by WTO rules. It's not a scene from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

We, collectively, cannot have things both ways.

A common complaint about the EU is that is corporatist and heavily influenced by big business. If that is true, they will be heavily incentivized by those big businesses to get a deal made as quickly as possible.

If we believe that the EU is not corporatist, then we have a purely political negotiation, where, for example, France just tells us to fuck off (assuming that by some miracle France has bound and gagged Germany and locked it in a closet somewhere).

In reality, it's likely to be somewhere in between, with individual EU countries seeking sectorial advantage that align with their national interests. That varies wildly. We're Germany's #3 export market behind the US and France. Croatia probably doesn't give a hoot what we do (I haven't checked that assertion for veracity ;) ).
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    rcs1000 said:

No idea.

I would expect Sunderland to be 6-8% more friendly to Leave than the country as a whole. If it wasn't for Nissan, I'd say 12-15% more friendly.
    If it is then the WWC are going to deliver Cameron a h**l of a thumping.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I'm being about as subtle as Ecclestone et al. :p

More seriously, if proper circuits keep being lost and Azerbaijan and its ilk dominate the calendar, more and more people will turn off.
  • Options

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

I think the question you have to ask is how strong is the hand they are holding.

Is the Euro zone a land of economic strength that can bear the reduction in access to the UK, for £289 billion in exports, or is it riddled with debt, deflation and austerity?

We've never had a stronger hand to play.
    The Eurozone does have a massive trade surplus to play with, mind. For 2015 it was something like EUR300bn, which actually about 15% more than China's surplus. (These numbers are from memory, but they'll be roughly right.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If Sunderland is more than 60% for Leave, I think we can reasonably assume a Leave victory. (85%+ probability).

On the other hand, if it's below 50% for Leave, I'd flip it, and assume a similar likelihood for Remain.

I would point out that local papers' voodoo polls do not have a good record. I remember in the famous battle for Bedfordshire North in 1992, when the local newspaper had the Labour candidate Pat Hall on something like 50%, with the Conservatives on 35% and the Alliance Social and Liberal Democrats on about 10%. The eventual result did not look anything like that.
    I agree. The only caveat is that I would say 53% plus for leave is good.

Voodoo polls are voodoo polls. For amusement only. Just thought I would mention it for the sake of amusement.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

No idea.

I think that is inevitable, irrespective of whether its 51% to Leave or 49%.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    RodCrosby said:

Based on state polls, PEC is currently giving Trump a 35% chance, far better than the markets...
    Btw, Ernst seems to be a non-runner for Veep. "Heard nothing. I think he's thinking of someone else..."

Wonder who that might be...
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

I am keen to leave. I am just pointing out the idiocy of you claiming that once we invoke Article 50 we would no longer have the rebate. Once we invoke Article 50 the rebate and our ability to protect it does not change until we leave the EU at which point of course it no longer matters.
    The comment was in the context of a "second referendum" - the topic of the thread. But if you think we would get better terms (including keeping the rebate) in a new deal you've got more faith in the EU than I have!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,953

Kerry and Romney were effectively destroyed over the summer by Bush and Obama negative ads, Hillary is trying to do the same to Trump
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

No idea.

I think that is inevitable, irrespective of whether its 51% to Leave or 49%.
    I have no idea how it plays if England votes out and the Scots keep us in. Of course, I appreciate that Cameron will play the One Nation card, but even so. That would be ghastly.
  • Options
    John_M said:

In reality, it's likely to be somewhere in between, with individual EU countries seeking sectorial advantage that align with their national interests. That varies wildly. We're Germany's #3 export market behind the US and France. Croatia probably doesn't give a hoot what we do (I haven't checked that assertion for veracity ;) ).

I think your last paragraph is spot on. Germany will want continued tariff free access for cars to the UK; France will want an end to financial market passporting; and Poland will want continued freedom of Labour.

The combination of us not knowing exactly what relationship we want with the EU, and each different EU country having different red lines could make the discussions pretty interesting.
This discussion has been closed.