Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2016 in General

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Glorious first :D
  • Options
    Look at that May surge!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    TM4PM

I wish a bookie would open a market on Boris failing to make the final two.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Crossover!!!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    FPT but more relevant to this

Just completed a YouGov poll with most of the questions on the Tories and the leadership. Just loving ticking the box expressing max dissatisfaction for Johnson and Gove. And for TSE, I 'voted' for May as next leader....a day is a long time in politics down 'Ersham way.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    edited June 2016
    Third. Like .. er .. Labour or the Lib Dems at the next Election.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Just completed a YouGov poll with most of the questions on the Tories and the leadership. Just loving ticking the box expressing max dissatisfaction for Johnson and Gove. And for TSE, I 'voted' for May as next leader....a day is a long time in politics down 'Ersham way.

Also FPT... good on you sir :D
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Is there any point in Hunt standing? After all his troubles over Health - he's got a load of baggage. I still quite like him, but wouldn't vote for him.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

What on earth makes you think that the majority of Tory members would support a remainer over a Leaver if the remainer was not undertaking to respect the vote?

Because they are not all as economically insane as the true believers.
    Indeed. Anyone who can make a case that they are the stability ticket will win a GE easily. May looks and acts like that person even if she is never going to win many points for charisma. The UK just needs a steady pair of hands at the tiller and a 60-year-old woman with bags of experience will appeal over a testosterone-fuelled bone idle turncoat who betrayed his own country, party and former mayoral territory.
    Can we take it you’re NOT a member of BoJo’s faan club, then?
    Put me down as an undecided
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I've just completed that YouGov too.

We are of like minds.
  • Options

TM4PM

PB Tories 4 May 4 PM :D
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Boris is on my short list of people who have always given me mental dyspepsia. Saville was another one, for very different reasons of course.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I did one all about Labour. It asked if I thought Corbyn was doing a great job as Labour leader - I *strongly agreed*
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Jobabob said:

JamesM said:

Morning all. As a Conservative member and Vote Leave supporter I have no particular requirement for the next Prime Minister to be a Brexit supporter. My only requirement and expectation here is that the new PM invokes Article 50 and fulfils the will of the British people asap and prior to any further General Election or second referendum. Keep delaying things will undermine public trust and further de-stabilise the markets.

In terms of alternative options, my preference has always been a bespoke UK deal. My main priorities are to enhance UK sovereignty and democracy, gain the ability to set-up our own trade deals and to be able to more effectively control immigration bringing it under UK democratic governance.

Can someone who favours EFTA/EEA please inform me how, if at all, this membership option meets these requirements? I can see benefits compared to EU membership, but I know many colleagues who think it is worse than EU membership. I also wonder if it could be a transition model, which we may, if we want leave eventually if our trade with Europe declines further?

Pragmatically, I cannot see any good alternative to EEA/EFTA at this moment in time. We have two years once Article 50 is invoked. This is not a long time to get alternative trade deals in place. Indeed, it looks like a near impossibility and we would not be negotiating from a position of strength.

The EUs likelihood to budge on anything like the four freedoms at this moment in time looks incredibly slim.

So we are either stuck at the end of two years reverting to WTO rules, with a very slim likelihood of any free trade deals of importance in place (which is very much a nuclear option) or we go for the quick-fix option of retaining access to the single market and free movement, with the benefit of being able to pursue our own trade deals in the meantime.

I think it is inconceivable we'll plump for anything else. The difference between leaders will be maybe how it is sold. Some might stress it as a more temporary solution than others.

Mr Farage will, of course, have a field day.
    What you seem to be looking at is a Norway-style arrangement. Fraragists will indeed dislike it.
    EEA/EFTA is the least worst alternative - but it leaves the situation on the ground largely unchanged albeit with the U.K having far less influence than it did when in the EU. So what was the point of all this? Just to rattle the hearts of a few xenophobic Red BNP types who won't get what they want anyway.
    If we get EEA/EFTA wouldnt the ultimate irony be that we get free movement of Turks because we lost our ability to veto it by coming out of the EU!
    Deep irony indeed
  • Options
    Is May scheduled to speak today? I'm going to miss her announcement/speech, aren't I?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    "It is the system that saw IDS win in 2001 and, of course, Mr. Cameron in December 2005. It would not have allowed a hapless no-hoper like Labour’s Corbyn who only got into the members’ ballot because because some non-supporters decided to nominate him."

I find these statements contradictory.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    This is going to take weeks to get to thw final two isn't it? :(

I don't have a vote as I'm not a Con member, but we need to see. in detail, exactly what Boris and Theresa's versions of BREXIT look's like. And it would be helpful if we can hear from soon.

• Options
    Why is Osborne on R4 saying we'll have tax rises and spending cuts when he's not going to be CoE in the new HMG set up?

He's stirring.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Bizarre given their role in scuppering the AV referendum that AV is exactly what the Tories use to select the top 2. If it's good enough for them...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

"It is the system that saw IDS win in 2001 and, of course, Mr. Cameron in December 2005. It would not have allowed a hapless no-hoper like Labour’s Corbyn who only got into the members’ ballot because because some non-supporters decided to nominate him."

IDS is a political titan compared to Corbyn ;)
  • Options
    I did read Boris wants Ozzy to continue as Chancellor, because being Chancellor won't be fun and a career ender for Gove.

Apparently the cuts in our credit ratings means selling Government debt will be harder as some organisations only buy debt from top rated countries.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The direction of travel may not necessarily be to Johnson’s advantage.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I do hope SO has started a business churning out these T-shirts...

@econromesh: Project Betrayal - @pollytoynbee on aftermath of Boris Johnson's 'despicable campaign', #BrexitLies: https://t.co/RcxNCAR5S4
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

JohnO said:

I did one all about Labour. It asked if I thought Corbyn was doing a great job as Labour leader - I *strongly agreed*
    Did they ask if you were a member of any party?
    I'm sure that with their partisan hats on, 99% of Tory members think Corbyn is doing a fantastic job at failing to provide any opposition whatsoever to the government!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Those shaking the darling buds of May should remember that summer's lease hath all too short a date.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2016
    Sky: entire Labour whips office to resign if (when) Corbyn loses confidence vote...

Abbott calling it a "three-ring circus"
    http://labourlist.org/2016/06/abbott-corbyn-will-lose-confidence-motion-but-triumph-among-membership/
  • Options
    Sky are saying that the vote of confidence in Jeremy Corbyn will be announced at 17:00.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I don't have a vote as I'm not a Con member, but we need to see. in detail, exactly what Boris and Theresa's versions of BREXIT look's like. And it would be helpful if we can hear from soon.

It's final list on Thursday - then rounds of votes every Tues/Thurs - then out to members. I'm hoping we'll be down to final two before August.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

JohnO said:

Hence why all polling on this matter should be ignored. Childish fools like yourself gaming the survey.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Why is Osborne on R4 saying we'll have tax rises and spending cuts

Because it's true
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Bizarre given their role in scuppering the AV referendum that AV is exactly what the Tories use to select the top 2. If it's good enough for them...

It's not AV. It's a series of separate votes several days apart.
  • Options

Those shaking the darling buds of May should remember that summer's lease hath all too short a date.

Only has to last long enough to crush Boris
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

JohnO said:

I'm sure that with their partisan hats on, 99% of Tory members think Corbyn is doing a fantastic job at failing to provide any opposition whatsoever to the government!
    They asked who I voted for last time and if there was an election tomorrow - I said Tory. I ticked both Labour and Tory boxes on the 'have you ever been a member of a Party' question.

It was all a bit strange.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

The Labour leadership has gone much better for me, must say.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Chris_A said:

Exhaustive ballot is the preferred term, isn't it?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

PlatoSaid said:

Why is Osborne on R4 saying we'll have tax rises and spending cuts

Because it's true
    Well, it may help him meet his fiscal mandate :D
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Chris_A said:

Exhaustive ballot is the preferred term, isn't it?
    I prefer the term quasi-AV
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    GIN1138 said:

Probably not. After the first ballot it will become abundantly clear who is in with a chance and the no hopers will drop out.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    PlatoSaid said:

Why is Osborne on R4 saying we'll have tax rises and spending cuts when he's not going to be CoE in the new HMG set up?

He's stirring.

Because it's true and he said as much before the referendum. He's lost but he's going to be proved right in the longer term. He's playing the long game.
  • Options
    @RodCrosby

Any markets open the Labour Party splitting?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

Because it's true and he said as much before the referendum. He's lost but he's going to be proved right in the longer term. He's playing the long game.
    Mervyn King said yesterday it was the exact opposite of what you'd do and he was 'baffled' by it.
  • Options

I did read Boris wants Ozzy to continue as Chancellor, because being Chancellor won't be fun and a career ender for Gove.

Apparently the cuts in our credit ratings means selling Government debt will be harder as some organisations only buy debt from top rated countries.

Most of those requirements were relaxed after the US lost its triple A rating. In any case it seems likely that the BoE will announce £50-75bn in QE to calm markets and to ensure there are no failures in debt auctions.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: It's becoming increasingly clear that Britain is not going to leave the EU. The issue now is how is to explain that to the British people.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

JohnO said:

They asked who I voted for last time and if there was an election tomorrow - I said Tory. I ticked both Labour and Tory boxes on the 'have you ever been a member of a Party' question.

It was all a bit strange.
    Ha ha, will be funny to see when it's published - and how much things have moved on in the meantime.

By the end of today we are most likely looking at both major parties running simultaneous leadership elections - when was the last time that happened??
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Most of those requirements were relaxed after the US lost its triple A rating. In any case it seems likely that the BoE will announce £50-75bn in QE to calm markets and to ensure there are no failures in debt auctions.
    I think it is the two notch drop that is causing issues.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    MaxPB said:

LOL - it was the IDS one which gave Labour the Corbyn idea !
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Mervyn King said yesterday it was the exact opposite of what you'd do and he was 'baffled' by it.

But he's an "expert". We don't listen to them now we have "taken back control"
  • Options

MaxPB said:

City bloke on sky said the credit rating "didn't really matter", and mattered more for corporations. Not sure if he was an "expert" though......... :p
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Corbyn movement within the Labour party is a reaction against Blair, the so-called "Blairites" and New Labour thought.

This is ironic.

Increasingly, they are personality cult and party-within-a-party more than Blair and New Labour ever was.

They are everything they object to.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    edited June 2016
    FPT (I'm a bit late...)

Given the talk of a new election in the Autumn post Conservative leadership, but the issues around the Fixed Term Parliament Act and the Tories not wanting to lose advantage - how about this for an idea... PM Crabb, May, (or whoever) gets elected and states:

It is very clear that the UK has voted for Brexit and that must be honoured. What is less clear is what sort of exit we want - what should be primary in the negotiations - and we need to respect the views of the whole country - those who voted Remain as well as those who voted Leave.

Meanwhile - whilst Brexit is clearly the most important issue - the role of government continues, our security, economy etc. - none of this stops. As PM I lead a Conservative majority in the House of Commons and I wish to continue that - it is not the time for the additional uncertainty of a General Election.

Instead I am calling an election to appoint a Brexit negotiating group. This election will be run on the simple premise - 'what sort of Brexit do you want, what do you think is important in negotiations'. In order to ensure that we accommodate the widest possible range of views across the country this election will simply be run on the same basis, as the European Parliament Elections. Those current members of the European Parliament that want to take a serious role in negotiations can stand and I anticipate this group of 73 people to take the lead in establishing what sort of Brexit the country wants - what works best for all people and all nations of this great United Kingdom.

Once this election has taken place, and we have a group that can discuss negotiations, then I will invoke Article 50.

That way you have an election to confirm the type of Brexit, but not a General Election and it can be focused on specific things. You then also have a large enough group to accommodate multiple views and all nations, but small enough to be able to actually discuss things, and on a basis that is clear and already in place.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

PlatoSaid said:

Former "expert" :p
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

Because he has some clues about the shitstorm the Brexiter have created for the UK economy.
    This time we should make the pensioners pay - they voted for it.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    anecdote: my father is a strong Tory Thatcherite leave voter, not at all regretful, based in outer London so voted for Boris twice, doesn't dislike him at all, fine job as mayor, but is not a stable prime minister. He wants Theresa May, because she is the serious candidate.

My mum is a strong Tory remainer, used to like Boris as mayor voted for him twice, thinks he's a bit of a buffoon, would prefer Theresa.

On this sample of two, Boris loses the remain and leave Tory votes. I think most members will come to the same conclusion (admittedly my parents are lifelong Tory voters but never been members so there is a difference there)

I think Boris winning would personally be better for Remain as he can get away with more 'betrayal' of the leave cause than Theresa can as a remainer.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    There is a huge difference between electing a new leader now, who will immediately be PM, and electing a new leader in the aftermath of an election defeat, who would have in principle 5 years.

In the current circs, it has to be May for me. Can't take BoJo seriously,

Stephen Crabb may be one for the future, but not now.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

Indeed.

The problem Osborne has is that he has failed to fix the roof while the sun is shining.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Those requirements will probably be relaxed because Gilts are a very liquid market and as of now UK debt carries a AAA premium, regardless of the ratings agencies. How it shakes out in the long term is unknown, but Gilt yields are at record lows, partly because some expext the economy to underperform and partly because Gilts are a safe haven investment. Additionally, many expext the BoE to announce QE which will raise Gilt prices allowing for a very quick and easy ROI.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Farage speaking now in the EU Parliament. Not pulling his punches!!

"Your policy of imposing poverty on the Mediteranean has been very successful"
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016
    The starting point for me is to see where Con MPs sit. According to BBC we had 185 for REMAIN, 138 for LEAVE and 7 undeclared, however the bulk of the REMAIN were MPs in Govt jobs so I would set the real picture as under 80 europhile REMAIN, 112 careerist/undec (inc undec) and 138 eurosceptic LEAVE. Therefore the pull on their votes are going to be a combination of their leaning and a judgement on who could win them the election. Therefore:-
    LEAVErs Boris+Andrea+Liam have a pool of about 250
    REMAINers May+Hunt+Crabb+Morgan a pool of about 192
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

PlatoSaid said:

Former "expert" :p
    Brexexpert!
  • Options
    Lennon said:

That way you have an election to confirm the type of Brexit

There's a problem with that.

So we have this election and we select Brexit option B, which we then take to the EU, who tell us to take a hike.

We wanted it, we voted for it, we can't have it...

For me the options are someone who will say "despite the vote we are not leaving", (democratic if they put that to a GE)

or Boris who has to try and salvage something, anything from his own wreckage (democratic and foolish)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: It's becoming increasingly clear that Britain is not going to leave the EU. The issue now is how is to explain that to the British people.

This is the same DPHodegs that even at 2am on Friday morning hadn't realized LEAVE was going to win? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

Some more taxes on the super rich and the likes of Starbucks and Google would not go amiss. The 1% owning more than the other 99% annoys not only left wingers. It's all got very skewed

No idea how to do this in practice, but a new Chancellor could contradict the old one and buy back some Tory support from the middle ground, which will be needed
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

TM4PM

It would be an utter disgrace if after essentially single handedly leading a campaign that won against all the odds, that won over 17 million votes, if neither Gove nor Boris made the final two. One or the other surely has to be there.

Boris it seems has that magical quality of being a winner. He's twice won now in Labour London. He's now won a campaign that had the deck stacked by the government and the Establishment. The Tories need to be led by a winner and who represents that better than Boris now?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Scott_P said:

Hasn't Hodges been wrong with most of his predictions lately?
  • Options
    felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

Because he has some clues about the shitstorm the Brexiter have created for the UK economy.
    This time we should make the pensioners pay - they voted for it.
    The shit storm is of his creation as well, we have a 7% current account deficit. He has completely taken his eye off the ball and we see capital draining out at a huge rate. While British investment overseas is anaemic.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Regarding the timetable - we know that nominations have to be in by Noon on Thursday - any idea when the results of the MP vote will be announced ?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Those requirements will probably be relaxed because Gilts are a very liquid market and as of now UK debt carries a AAA premium, regardless of the ratings agencies. How it shakes out in the long term is unknown, but Gilt yields are at record lows, partly because some expext the economy to underperform and partly because Gilts are a safe haven investment. Additionally, many expext the BoE to announce QE which will raise Gilt prices allowing for a very quick and easy ROI.
    I think the credit rating agents blew their feet off in the financial crisis of 2008.

They showed themselves to be totally unreliable

these days DYOR is a much better guide.
  • Options
    Farage sticking it to the Eurocrats...
  • Options
    Do they have a little tinkle bell to call the chamber to order?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

Indeed.

The problem Osborne has is that he has failed to fix the roof while the sun is shining.
    To be fair, there has not been much sunshine... and a bloody big hole in the roof
  • Options

TM4PM

It would be an utter disgrace if after essentially single handedly leading a campaign that won against all the odds, that won over 17 million votes, if neither Gove nor Boris made the final two. One or the other surely has to be there.

Boris it seems has that magical quality of being a winner. He's twice won now in Labour London. He's now won a campaign that had the deck stacked by the government and the Establishment. The Tories need to be led by a winner and who represents that better than Boris now?
    Because we don't need a bumbler to conduct our negotiations.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited June 2016

anecdote: my father is a strong Tory Thatcherite leave voter, not at all regretful, based in outer London so voted for Boris twice, doesn't dislike him at all, fine job as mayor, but is not a stable prime minister. He wants Theresa May, because she is the serious candidate.

My mum is a strong Tory remainer, used to like Boris as mayor voted for him twice, thinks he's a bit of a buffoon, would prefer Theresa.

On this sample of two, Boris loses the remain and leave Tory votes. I think most members will come to the same conclusion (admittedly my parents are lifelong Tory voters but never been members so there is a difference there)

I think Boris winning would personally be better for Remain as he can get away with more 'betrayal' of the leave cause than Theresa can as a remainer.

Yes agree. Theresa May is, or wants to portray herself as a WYSIWYG candidate - the polar opposite of Boris. I think the tens of thousands pledge will be laid at Dave's door (think Vardy/Hodgson).

Whatever the mandate - in, out, EEA, Albania, she will I'm sure pursue it with grim determination.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    Its still Boris vs not Boris. I hope that the Tory party finds the choice as impossible and damaging as our Jezza vs not Jezza

Regarding Jexit. It seems that the whips will all resign when the no confidence motion is carried. Perhaps Corbyn needs to draft in Momentum activists to be whips as there won't be anyone left to be a whip nor will the whips be able to successfully whip the PLP

• Options
    Le Pen follows...
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Scott_P said:

Lennon said:

That way you have an election to confirm the type of Brexit

There's a problem with that.

So we have this election and we select Brexit option B, which we then take to the EU, who tell us to take a hike.

We wanted it, we voted for it, we can't have it...

For me the options are someone who will say "despite the vote we are not leaving", (democratic if they put that to a GE)

or Boris who has to try and salvage something, anything from his own wreckage (democratic and foolish)
    Not what I was saying - we have a specific group that can be involved in negotiations and prioritise what the British people think is important. If there has to be a choice between full EFTA or WTO with no other options, then that group can then vote on it, representing the whole country. In any negotiations there are many back and forwards, many 'should this or that option be prioritised' type questions. We might exchange 'Free Financial Passporting for the City of London vs some Fisheries Policy stuff (or whatever) - and we don't want Parliament to be focused on the nitty gritty day to day stuff, but need a representative polity which can do that job.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    RodCrosby said:

Le Pen follows...

One bigot following another...
  • Options

chestnut said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

Indeed.

To be fair, there has not been much sunshine... and a bloody big hole in the roof
    I don't know about that, £375bn in QE, low tax rates and record employment. Osborne has failed to cut spending on benefits while the employment situation was beyond our expectations, if it falters (though I don't think it will) it will ve much tougher to cut benefits while unemployment is rising or at least while wages are falling.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    TGOHF said:

Regarding the timetable - we know that nominations have to be in by Noon on Thursday - any idea when the results of the MP vote will be announced ?

They vote every Tuesday and Thursday until they get it down to the final who then go out to the party membership.

I'm hoping that everyone will come to their senses and we'll have a much narrower field to start off with on Thursday.
  • Options
    Well that was all very entertaining!

Standing ovations and panto boos for Farage :lol:
  • Options
    Didn't know that Marine LePen was an MEP.

She's being rather triumphant and praising the British for taking the leap.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    LOLZA at Farage "none of you have done a proper job in your lives..or created a job.."

:D
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Scott_P said:

Another naked bet coming?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

How many nominees are there likely to be on Thursday?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Its still Boris vs not Boris. I hope that the Tory party finds the choice as impossible and damaging as our Jezza vs not Jezza

May and Boris are not so far apart, really. Not anything like Corbyn - perhaps the parallel is Liam Fox is somehow he became wildly popular.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    If there are to be spending cuts I hope HS2 is at the top of the list.
  • Options
    Is the Le Pen translator Scottish? It's all very strange :smiley:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    TGOHF said:

LOLZA at Farage "none of you have done a proper job in your lives..or created a job.."

Is “Commodity trader” a “proper" job?
  • Options

Hinckley looks like another one that needs another look.
  • Options

Infrastructure spending seems to be the last thing you'd want to cut. What about foreign aid?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    TGOHF said:

I think the majority of the EU regards ‘professional politician’ as a proper job.
  • Options

May and Boris are not so far apart, really. Not anything like Corbyn - perhaps the parallel is Liam Fox is somehow he became wildly popular.
    Well the worry is that it will be a choice of free movement vs restrictions. I'm not sure that EFTA would win that vote among the membership. It should, and we won't have the problem lf entryists from UKIP to swing the vote in favour of restrictions.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

Infrastructure spending seems to be the last thing you'd want to cut. What about foreign aid?
    We could spend the hs2 money on housing & extra capacity in the rail network in general. I think the most valid criticism of HS2 is that it is a he'll of a lot of money to knock a few minutes off a trip to Birmingham. Yes it increases capacity, but only on one line.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

They vote every Tuesday and Thursday until they get it down to the final who then go out to the party membership.

I'm hoping that everyone will come to their senses and we'll have a much narrower field to start off with on Thursday.
    Why do they need to take so long over a contest? The country needs a government, at the moment it has neither government nor opposition. A quick leadership contest followed by a few months of "what the fuck are we doing" and an election.

Regarding the election it seems pretty clear to me that Labour, the LibDems, SNP, Plaid, and probably the Tories will all run on a platform of "if we are the government there will be no Brexit"

Two questions - what odds on UKIP winning 50+ or 100+ seats, and who the hell will they find to be candidates?
  • Options

Hinkley Point C would be my pick for cuts.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

TGOHF said:

I think the majority of the EU regards ‘professional politician’ as a proper job.
    If my sources are correct Farage was NOT a nice guy to work for.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    MaxPB said:

Well the worry is that it will be a choice of free movement vs restrictions. I'm not sure that EFTA would win that vote among the membership. It should, and we won't have the problem lf entryists from UKIP to swing the vote in favour of restrictions.
    If it's May v Boris it's pretty much EFTA v EFTA I would have thought.
  • Options

How many nominees are there likely to be on Thursday?

If we're lucky, two or three...
  • Options

RobD said:

We could spend the hs2 money on housing & extra capacity in the rail network in general.
    Ah yep, fair enough.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

If it's May v Boris it's pretty much EFTA v EFTA I would have thought.
    Yes, but if it's May vs Fox then it might not be. Though he seems to have backtracked a bit as well.
  • Options
    @DailyMailUK: Boris makes formal complaint about Theresa May's campaign as Tory leadership fight ramps up https://t.co/PEedTG0bHy https://t.co/0xIPRpBaGw
This discussion has been closed.