Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s front pages after the escalation of Labour’s row wi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s front pages after the escalation of Labour’s row with UNITE

Use the widget to click through all of them

Read the full story here

Comments

• Curse of the thread change.
    FPT O/T I have just been VI'd by YouGov. Supplementary questions on Ed M and unions,MPs pay, BBC pay for both stars and management and how you would vote on a fictional European election with ballot paper included.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Has PB been down overnight ....

Mike - I keep telling you to rub in the hair tonic not drink it !!
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Labour's cunning plan to only appear to have fallen out with UNITE is really bearing fruit.

We've all been fooled by it - Oscars all round.
    It would appear from last night locals that the theory that despite their overall weak polling the yellow peril remain a menace in target seats rings true, this time in Oxford West and Abingdon - Evan Harris lost seat.

The latest 2015 GE ARSE projection has the LibDems at 44 seats - net down 13.
  • If JJ is around.
    A CANNABIS factory below ground was unearthed when police went to investigate a report of men acting suspciously in Spellbrook.
    The discovery of the elaborate set-up – which is believed to be the first of its kind in Hertfordshire – followed a call by a member of the public at 5.40pm on Monday

http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/News/East-Herts-villages/Police-unearth-underground-cannabis-factory-near-railway-line-in-Spellbrook-20130705064621.htm
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Obvious signs of desperation in deepest Cheshire this morning
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

If JJ is around.
    A CANNABIS factory below ground was unearthed when police went to investigate a report of men acting suspciously in Spellbrook.
    The discovery of the elaborate set-up – which is believed to be the first of its kind in Hertfordshire – followed a call by a member of the public at 5.40pm on Monday

http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/News/East-Herts-villages/Police-unearth-underground-cannabis-factory-near-railway-line-in-Spellbrook-20130705064621.htm

I'm more oblong than round, but cheers for the link.

It seems quite a cunning set-up, but probably a medium-scale operation?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The rubbish papers prefer Bulger and the better ones Egypt. The union stuff is leaving me cold though it's interesting that Cameron thinks it'll resonate. I don't believe the unions worry anyone anymore and it does give Ed a chance to slay a dragon-albeit one already castrated
    tim said:

There's a weak leader on the news, being forced by his Euro nutters to support a Private Members bill on a Friday when he hadn't the guts to either say no or introduce a Bill.
    Hopefully it won't interfere with him tweeting photo's of himself watching the tennis.

Yes it's frightfully bad politics for a mildly eurosceptic PM to support a referendum bill that most punters support.

Meanwhile Ed goes awol, presumably on his UNITE the one nation tour, although understandably the launch venue doesn't begin with a "F" .... well not that "F" anyway !!

Add the South of France to the desperation zone.
    @Roger

I'm not surprised the "union stuff" is leaving you "cold" what with Labour's 2015 GE chances now in the deep freeze.

Poor Roger, where did it all go so wrong ?
    Roger said:

The rubbish papers prefer Bulger and the better ones Egypt. The union stuff is leaving me cold though it's interesting that Cameron thinks it'll resonate. I don't believe the unions worry anyone anymore and it does give Ed a chance to slay a dragon-albeit one already castrated

Why would Ed want to slay a dragon that is his party's main funder? More likely Unite will slay Ed, although the likeliest option is that the two will come to an 'arrangement'.

Lead story on BBC News Online: Unite boss attacks Labour leadership
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23192888

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
  • Yes, I would say it was a medium scale operation, not having all your eggs in one basket etc.

If JJ is around.

I'm more oblong than round, but cheers for the link.

It seems quite a cunning set-up, but probably a medium-scale operation?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Is rEd on the radio or tv today? ? Seems to have learned some hide and seek tips from his spiritual guru Mr Brown.

tim said:

JackW said:

tim said:

There's a weak leader on the news, being forced by his Euro nutters to support a Private Members bill on a Friday when he hadn't the guts to either say no or introduce a Bill.
    Hopefully it won't interfere with him tweeting photo's of himself watching the tennis.

Yes it's frightfully bad politics for a mildly eurosceptic PM to support a referendum bill that most punters support.

Meanwhile Ed goes awol, presumably on his UNITE the one nation tour, although understandably the launch venue doesn't begin with a "F" .... well not that "F" anyway !!

Yes it's always good for the Tories to bang on about Europe.
    Especially since Dave drew a line in the sand in January and asked his party to trust him.

Meanwhile you can spot the exact point on here where the PB tories proclaimed a narrowing in the YouGov polling.

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB
    See chart showing LAB leads in the last 10 YouGov daily polling snapshots pic.twitter.com/nzSiEj9DeS
    You cling to the weak mid term leads like some tatty comfort blanket if it gives you some solace "tim"

However the fact remains, endorsed by this weeks shenanigans that :

Ed Miliband will never be Prime Minister.

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,758
    Well it is Friday. How is Ed going to finish off his perfect week?

Simply running away from the debate on Britain's future in the EU isn't nearly enough. No doubt we will find something else as the day goes on.

I wonder if we have seen the last resignation from the shadow cabinet.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2013
    JackW said:

zzzzzzzzzzz
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    DavidL said:

Simply running away from the debate on Britain's future in the EU isn't nearly enough. No doubt we will find something else as the day goes on.

Something amusingly stupid on Twitter probably - Blackbusters remains one of my favourites.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @Jonathan

You post would have more resonance if you did the same thing with the endless repetitions from your own side of the political table.

As it stands however, your comment justifies this response.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    tim said:

JackW said:

@Roger

I'm not surprised the "union stuff" is leaving you "cold" what with Labour's 2015 GE chances now in the deep freeze.

Predicting an election result showing 5 UKIP MP's and the Tories hardly losing any seats disqualifies you somewhat from rational analysis.

Predicting general elections isn't always about "rational analysis" because the punters often thumb two collective fingers at the rational.

Further the latest 2015 GE ARSE projection is 3 Ukip seats which is hardly verging on fruitcake territory notwithstanding a small drop in Conservative seats.

Naturally I'm entirely disqualified from such Conservative seats predictions as I quite disgracefully missed their 2010 seat total of 306 total by one seat .... Oh the shame !!!!

Shouldn't you be milking the cows by now whilst the rest of us milk the "non event" UNITE story ?

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Saw the first question on QT (incidentally, the website seemed to have the wrong panel list, or I saw the wrong one last night, sorry about that) and it reminded me why I don't bother watching anymore.

Egypt has a military coup, and the first question's on MP pay rises.

Also, Rowan Atkinson should be made a knight. Or a lord.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Plato said:

Something amusingly stupid on Twitter probably - Blackbusters remains one of my favourites.

I'm going to assume that was some lacky posting that, rather than Ed himself.
    Off-topic:

A great indication that people can redeem themselves:
    A former NBA star who once declared "I hate gay people" became the first person to sign a new petition seeking to legalize gay marriage in Florida.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/04/tim-hardaway-gay-marriage-petition_n_3544558.html

Good on him.
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

zzzzzzzzzzz
    Indeed, Ed has fallen asleep on the job and is now suffering the nightmare of UNITE.

edited July 2013
    So Labour have a potential scandal and possible criminal charges, which implicate its main donor and the entire Labour contingent in the HOC are absent for a debate on Europe..it all looks good..apart from it also looking as if the Labour MP's only do a four day week Strong leadership written all over it
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    How is the bestest week ever of Ed's leadership (sic) going?

@PeterWatt123
    If Labour attempts to blame #Falkirk just on 'particular individuals' rather than accepting institutional problem it will be a disgrace.

It's OK, they are not that stupid

@BBCNormanS: Labour via @angelaeagle point finger of blame for #Falkirk at "partic individuals" in constituency rather than organised campaign by Unite

Oh...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    And here is Labour's Tory-backbench-eurosceptic moment:

Internally it matters a very great deal, externally people are bored or don't really care and the overriding impression - where there is one - is strongly negative.

No wonder tim is sounding unusually fraught.
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Anna Eagle this morning on Today R4 was being questioned by Evan Davies on the Falkirk/Unite debacle after Nick Robinson had summarised the situation.

Her defense of the situation was defenseless and her best effort was - in best 1950s Labour /Trade Union speak - "we had to defend our rule-book."
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    I see a fresh round of Tory yah-boo posts this morning, but I wonder if they aren't a bit sobered by the fact that the polling benefit for them, judging by both the daily YGs and the by-elections last night, appears to be precisely zero.

Personally I think there will be a bit of an effect before the story fades but a short-term one.
    Part of the reason is that many people categorise it all under "Obscure stuff about how politics works". But there's a deeper problem that the Tory attack lines are internally inconsistent. If you want to argue "Miliband is in the pocket of the unions, weak and terrified to stand up to Labour's paymasters, it's hard to explain a headline saying "Red McCluskey rages at Labour". If you want to argue "Labour is deeply split and not ready to govern", then Labour can't be in the union pocket, since that's not a split.

As I said the other day, it's clearly awkward, but on the whole parties who spend their time having a go at each other leave floating voters cold, and the Tories are finding the limits of the approach in much the same way as we have in the past.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    DavidL said:

With a better poll rating than he started, apparently.

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,876
    DavidL said:

Miliband and Clegg are absolutely right to keep their parties well away from a debate that is all about Dave's desperate need to regain a bit of trust from his swivel-eyed tendency.

On Unite, it is a defining challenge for Ed and for the Labour Party. It had to happen at some stage. Let's see how it pans out. The Tories have made it a test of Ed's leadership. That may well turn out to have been a mistake.

tim said:

JackW said:

tim said:

JackW said:

@Roger

Predicting an election result showing 5 UKIP MP's and the Tories hardly losing any seats disqualifies you somewhat from rational analysis.

Predicting general elections isn't always about "rational analysis" because the punters often thumb two collective fingers at the rational.

Further the latest 2015 GE ARSE projection is 3 Ukip seats which is hardly verging on fruitcake territory notwithstanding a small drop in Conservative seats.

Naturally I'm entirely disqualified from such Conservative seats predictions as I quite disgracefully missed their 2010 seat total of 306 total by one seat .... Oh the shame !!!!

Shouldn't you be milking the cows by now whilst the rest of us milk the "non event" UNITE story ?

Take the bet then.

If the Tories get 280 or more seats, UKIP will get one or zero.
    Repeating an offer of a bet that I've already rejected on the principle of never wagering with PBers is hardly an effective response.

However you could always validate your own analysis and bet the farm elsewhere ?

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Palmer, 'yah-boos' regarding a serious situation for both Labour and democracy generally is a rather cheap way of describing what's going on.

It's also rather odd to expect immediate and dramatic polling movements.

You don't seem remotely concerned by the behaviour of Unite. Are you?
    Plato said:

DavidL said:

I hope it is something imaginative but lots of potential still exists in the Watson departure. The latest line appears to be that Ed used to be indecisive but now he is not so sure and maybe he was decisive after all. Or not.

It is lucky that Mr Watson is such a genial fellow who would never say anything nasty about anyone, isn't it? Or leak anything inconvenient. Or seek to undermine colleagues that he seems to blame for his situation. Pure as the driven snow. No doubt that is why Ed appointed him in the first place.

New Thread.

Not allowing discussion - much like Falkirk labour party

I see a fresh round of Tory yah-boo posts this morning, but I wonder if they aren't a bit sobered by the fact that the polling benefit for them, judging by both the daily YGs and the by-elections last night, appears to be precisely zero.

Not really. I predicted exactly that yesterday. This is all just a bit of fun for the geeks but amusing none the less.

edited July 2013
    A flightless Eagle on Sky, repeating the mantra that labour is a very proud party, nowt to say about McClusky except he didnt mean what he said..I wonder how she knows that..ho hum
This discussion has been closed.