Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The WH2016 TV ad war: How Clinton is outspending Trump in t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The WH2016 TV ad war: How Clinton is outspending Trump in the key swing states

NBC News data

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited August 2016
    'Kin hell. She's spent more in Florida or Ohio than Trump has in all these other states combined
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    How much free advertising is Trump getting from the liberal media sneering at him on the 'news' channels 24/7?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Anjem Choudary's wife faces police probe over claims she runs an extremist female cell, as it is revealed couple claim £26,000 in benefits

The 42-year-old mother of five was caught on camera apparently praising Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isil) as she preached to Muslim mothers and young children at a secretive meeting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/17/anjem-choudarys-wife-now-faces-police-probe/

Given the reporting restrictions etc there is something we clearly aren't been told.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    Sandpit said:

How much free advertising is Trump getting from the liberal media sneering at him on the 'news' channels 24/7?

Not enough, if the polls are correct.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sandpit said:

He has given plenty of reasons to be sneered at.

But tribalism means at least a third will vote for him no matter what, even if he was found with a dead girl or a live boy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Not enough, if the polls are correct.
    The polls are somewhat closer than those ad spend numbers would suggest though.

Will Trump play that card later in the campaign, "Crooked Hillary has spent enough of the bankers' money on her crooked campaign to give every man woman and child in this great country a $100 bill"..?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Obscene amounts of money. I know, I know, TV advertising, but still.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Trump is starting extensive ad buys in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida from tomorrow :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/donald-trump-tv-ads-227092
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, has anyone other than me discovered AliExpress? You will *never* use Amazon again. You basically buy direct from Chinese factories. I just received three "Polo Ralph Lauren" polo shirts, which are indistinguishable from my genuine ones (I'm assuming they're not genuine...), and for which I paid $6.77 each. Including shipping.

Due to arcane and stupid international postage rules and Chinese governmet subsidies Chinese sellers can offer ludicrously low shipping prices on goods to the extent that it actually costs the Royal Mail more money than they are paid to deliver the items.

I can get individual CMOS chips (not bulk buys) delivered from China for barely more than first class postage of a UK letter. Completely nuts.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited August 2016
    "The City's already digested Brexit and is starting to look at opportunities. It's what we do."

Quite so, Mr Charles, I am well out of touch now but I suspect that as the dining season resumes this autumn that there will not be many glum faces around the livery company tables. Furthermore. I imagine those faces at the Goldsmith's and the Salter's will be laughing like hyenas.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, has anyone other than me discovered AliExpress? You will *never* use Amazon again. You basically buy direct from Chinese factories. I just received three "Polo Ralph Lauren" polo shirts, which are indistinguishable from my genuine ones (I'm assuming they're not genuine...), and for which I paid $6.77 each. Including shipping.

For electronics, I wouldn't touch the likes of that with a bargepole.

In fact I'm becoming increasingly wary of Amazon. As more and more of "their" products are actually sold by third parties, anything with a decent price tag on it sets off the same kind of alarm bells I used to reserve for ebay.
    I just ordered a Xiaomi phone. I'll let you know how it is :)
    The Mi5? I wanted to get one but I don't think I can slum it in the world of physical buttons again after using software buttons for so long. I currently have the Oneplus One, it's not a brand I would recommend to anyone.

The biggest issue with Ali Express electronics is Shanzai products rather than branded imitations like those that Xiaomi manufacture. I've always wondered how the likes ir Hon Hai get away with it.

In other ground breaking and related news, Intel are opening their 10nm foundries to third parties! Could be a massive game changer for Apple and, of course, Intel.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

For electronics, I wouldn't touch the likes of that with a bargepole.

In fact I'm becoming increasingly wary of Amazon. As more and more of "their" products are actually sold by third parties, anything with a decent price tag on it sets off the same kind of alarm bells I used to reserve for ebay.
    The Mi5? I wanted to get one but I don't think I can slum it in the world of physical buttons again after using software buttons for so long. I currently have the Oneplus One, it's not a brand I would recommend to anyone.

The biggest issue with Ali Express electronics is Shanzai products rather than branded imitations like those that Xiaomi manufacture. I've always wondered how the likes ir Hon Hai get away with it.

In other ground breaking and related news, Intel are opening their 10nm foundries to third parties! Could be a massive game changer for Apple and, of course, Intel.
    Redmi Note 3 more likely?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

"The City's already digested Brexit and is starting to look at opportunities. It's what we do."

Quite so, Mr Charles, I am well out of touch now but I suspect that as the dining season resumes this autumn that there will not be many glum faces around the livery company tables. Furthermore. I imagine those faces at the Goldsmith's and the Salter's will be laughing like hyenas.

Don't be rude about my livery company!

As for your comment on the previous thread, you don't need to worry about assassins. We'd just expect you to do the honourable thing. Competently.
  • Options
    National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 40.4 .. Trump 34.4

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TM651Y15_26/filters/LIKELY:1
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    Was there not figures recently showing Trump was pretty well matching Hillary on fund raising? What on earth is he doing with it all? Does he think he should be turning a profit on this ?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    rcs1000 said:

I was looking at a Xiaomi phone just yesterday. £97. A couple of compromises on the display and probably the camera but otherwise specs that are effectively as good as any other phone. Even has a fingerprint scanner. Xiaomi are one of the three or four biggest phone brands in China. It had its own version of Android, minus the Google apps but you should be able to install them.

I do use Aliexpress. It is good for bargains but it doesn't have anything like the breadth of products get on Amazon. There's an escrow system for payment but i don't how effective it is in practice.

• Options
    SeanT said:

I've just spent four days of blazing sunshine researching locations in Devon, mainly in Dartmoor

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME BEFORE

Because you're Cornish?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I've just spent four days of blazing sunshine researching locations in Devon, mainly in Dartmoor

Dartmoor is incredibly beautiful. Primal colours of blood orange rowan berries and Forestry Commission green against Neolithic graves and naked granite and sombre brown moorland leats and and and and

Wow. Like upland Provence, but more interesting.

And not a Guardian columnist in sight .... :smiley:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Was there not figures recently showing Trump was pretty well matching Hillary on fund raising? What on earth is he doing with it all? Does he think he should be turning a profit on this ?

ding ding ding ding
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    SeanT said:

Dartmoor is incredibly beautiful. Primal colours of blood orange rowan berries and Forestry Commission green against Neolithic graves and naked granite and sombre brown moorland leats and and and and

Err aren't you of Cornish extraction? Isn't it a bit like discovering Hyde Park all of a sudden having lived in Primrose Hill? @puzzled
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    SeanT said:

Careful, they might not let you back in Cornwall if you rave too much.

(My North Devon heritage insists I claim Exmoor as better).
  • Options
    A Internet web meme costs $30,000, from a Gary Johnson SuperPAC filing

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/765646936422674433
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    JackW said:

Trump is starting extensive ad buys in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida from tomorrow :

Not New York and California :@) ?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    SeanT said:

Only place in the UK I've seen lizards (slow worms excepted). You can catch them sunning themselves on the dry stone walls. They look suitably primal and archaic for the surroundings.

Dartmeet is very pretty. HM Prison Dartmoor rather imposing, the museum being worth a visit.

There are also lots of abandoned industrial sites which have the kind of atmosphere I think you'd enjoy.

Apparently many tourists roam Dartmoor trying to send a postcard from every postbox - all the Tourist Information centres were flogging books on the subject. Perhaps "letterboxing" is one for Sunil once all the train stations have been exhausted.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Not New York and California :@) ?
    Next week .... :smile:
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,000
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Because you're Cornish?
    Ah, but SeanT's not Cornish. He was born in Teignmouth, in Devon. Think of geriatrics eating soft cream teas rather than grizzled miners riding a man-engine into the dark depths.

He's more Basil Fawlty than Ross Poldark.

(Fx: ducks)

(Also rather near the only granite tramway in the world, on Hay Tor)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haytor_Granite_Tramway
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Anjem Choudary's wife faces police probe over claims she runs an extremist female cell, as it is revealed couple claim £26,000 in benefits

The 42-year-old mother of five was caught on camera apparently praising Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isil) as she preached to Muslim mothers and young children at a secretive meeting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/17/anjem-choudarys-wife-now-faces-police-probe/

Given the reporting restrictions etc there is something we clearly aren't been told.

Contempt isn't the word.. !
  • Options
    Bloody hell hockey looks scary, wouldn't play that.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-6784,00.html
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    SeanT said:

Weather like this in August is a once-in-twenty-year event, mind. Usually Dartmoor looks like mouldy porridge, seen through a thick fog.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,299
    edited August 2016

Apparently many tourists roam Dartmoor trying to send a postcard from every postbox - all the Tourist Information centres were flogging books on the subject. Perhaps "letterboxing" is one for Sunil once all the train stations have been exhausted.

Oh that won't be for quite a while - although I have visited every station in the London Oystercard area (almost 700!), outside London, I'm contenting myself with colouring in my Baker Atlas as I do railway lines and branches as opposed to "station-hopping" per se.

On Friday, I did Wilmslow - Manchester Airport - Piccadilly for the first time, and on Monday, I did Eastleigh - Romsey - Salisbury.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_X said:

SeanT said:

Weather like this in August is a once-in-twenty-year event, mind. Usually Dartmoor looks like mouldy porridge, seen through a thick fog.
    Shite weather is good for my purposes. Bleak. Sinister. Saddening. Cold cold cold

The weather was actually TOO good. I wanted fog and despair. My thriller will be set during a frigid Dartmoor winter

I shall return in November. And thereafter.
    Personally I think Dartmoor is at its most sinister during the equinoctial storms. The rains, the mists...malevolent.
  • Options

'Kin hell. She's spent more in Florida or Ohio than Trump has in all these other states combined

You mean she has more money than sense? ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Because you're Cornish?
    Ah, but SeanT's not Cornish. He was born in Teignmouth, in Devon. Think of geriatrics eating soft cream teas rather than grizzled miners riding a man-engine into the dark depths.

He's more Basil Fawlty than Ross Poldark.

(Fx: ducks)

(Also rather near the only granite tramway in the world, on Hay Tor)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haytor_Granite_Tramway
    I went to Haytor. Scene, as I discovered, of an indescribably saddening suicide

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2361941/Mum-kills-little-boys-Double-death-Dartmoor-beauty-spot-police-toddlers-body-home.html

Given that my new thriller is about an attempted suicide, it was deeply uncanny
    There seems to be something about parent-and-child murder-suicides and beauty spots. Beachy Head is the obvious one, but one of my favourite hills are the Weavers in Staffordshire (*), where there was a tragic event involving a family from my sister's village:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/144056.stm

(*) They should not be a favourite. There's a rather large quarry blighting the northern edge. But I could see them from my school, and I used to escape to them with my first GF. Happy memories.

They are also perhaps, the very southern tip of the Pennines.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    SeanT said:

I believe Ann Widdecombe has retired to Dartmoor
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Due to arcane and stupid international postage rules and Chinese governmet subsidies Chinese sellers can offer ludicrously low shipping prices on goods to the extent that it actually costs the Royal Mail more money than they are paid to deliver the items.

I can get individual CMOS chips (not bulk buys) delivered from China for barely more than first class postage of a UK letter. Completely nuts.
    Mass produced goods ordered from China are inevitably cheap, though how long they last once they get here is another matter
  • Options
    World's longest aircraft takes its maiden flight from near Bedford:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/37112292
  • Options

But it only carries about 10 people, right? :lol:
  • Options
    Hockey lasses hard as nails....

"I spotted a fit-again Georgie Twigg at the end of that quarter. Not long ago she was taking a ball to the face, now she's ready to go again. I saw Neymar rolling around earlier just because someone trod on his hand."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

SeanT said:

Only place in the UK I've seen lizards (slow worms excepted). You can catch them sunning themselves on the dry stone walls. They look suitably primal and archaic for the surroundings.

Dartmeet is very pretty. HM Prison Dartmoor rather imposing, the museum being worth a visit.

There are also lots of abandoned industrial sites which have the kind of atmosphere I think you'd enjoy.

As well as being native to the Channel Islands, there are about twenty separate colonies of introduced wall lizards in the UK, mostly in southern England along the coast, including Boscombe, Ventnor, and Portland.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2016
    FPT:
    Charles said:

Moses_ said:

SeanT said:

All things considered, surely the most remarkable thing about Theresa May's 68% net satisfaction lead over Corbyn is that it's not larger.

You and Mr Meeks and the other PB Remainers must be bitterly disappointed by the unemployment figures today. My sympathies
    I'm very pleased by the figures. They are excellent, and a great send-off for Osborne. What a superb Chancellor he was.

The figures have absolutely zilch to tell us about Brexit, of course.
    Why is it that any good figures "tell us zilch about Brexit" yet any bad figures however minuscule a move in the wrong direction proves beyond any doubt Remainers were absolutely correct in all respects.....

Only asking?
    They don't. As I've said many times, we'll need to wait many months before we can provide a sensible assessment. At the moment, we are simply seeing the expected very short-term effects on sterling, the markets and business confidence surveys, but those don't tell us very much that we didn't already know.
    Richard, word of advice, if I may.

You have a very superior tone which really gets up people's noses. Even mine, and I'm usually pretty relaxed.

"As I've said many times but you are clearly too stupid to understand" is how it comes across. It may not be your intention, but that's the impression it leaves
    Charles, you are wonderfully pompous! As you'll see from the exchange, I was responding to a comment from someone saying - in response to a post of mine - that "any bad figures however minuscule a move in the wrong direction proves beyond any doubt Remainers were absolutely correct in all respects.....". So it was perfectly reasonable to point out that I've made it clear many times that we'll have to wait and see.

For some reason, which frankly I don't understand, many people who voted Leave seem to get very emotional about the issue of the economic risks of Brexit. It's a curious phenomenon, but anyone who doesn't want to hear from someone who takes a balanced view of the economic risks is welcome to ignore my posts.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited August 2016
    RE: SeanT in Devon.

As a man with Cornish blood I can definitively say that any "Cornishman" who, by choice, crosses the Tamar is immediately disowned.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Mass produced goods ordered from China are inevitably cheap, though how long they last once they get here is another matter
    It's the total madness that it costs the Chinese company less to post it from China to Edinburgh than it would to post it from London to Edinburgh that gets me.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Great Britain 2-0 New Zealand

Hockey lasses showing mens football team a thing or two as team, country and commitment.
  • Options
    ooh GB so close to the hockey final.....
  • Options

Which, when you consider the number of people desperate to leave Bedford, is too few.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Gulp ... she had some shoes stolen from a hotel room recently .....

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

It's the total madness that it costs the Chinese company less to post it from China to Edinburgh than it would to post it from London to Edinburgh that gets me.
    Postage is an odd product to cost because, whilst the average cost of an item can be high, the marginal cost of an extra item can be negligible. In most countries pricing is, to a greater or lesser extent, state controlled. There are some countries that offer very good rates for bulk postings - hence a lot of direct mail comes as international mail out of the Netherlands or Singapore even when the mailing is wholly targeted at addresses within another country,
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    nunu said:

3-0!

Have to hope they can sort out the injuries before the next game.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Which, when you consider the number of people desperate to leave Bedford, is too few.
    Even worse, it came back to where it started.
  • Options

nunu said:

3-0!

Have to hope they can sort out the injuries before the next game.
    If the Team Doctor charging per appointment, they will be raking it in....
  • Options
    This hockey is brutal - shows footballers up completely - well done GB ladies
  • Options

Great Britain 2-0 New Zealand

Hockey lasses showing mens football team a thing or two as team, country and commitment.

and have bigger balls too....
  • Options
    My second child has now discovered Harry Potter. I wouldn't mind, but bedtime stories used to last 10 minutes, and a chapter from The Philosopher's Stone takes 40.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

My second child has now discovered Harry Potter. I wouldn't mind, but bedtime stories used to last 10 minutes, and a chapter from The Philosopher's Stone takes 40.

Employ Stephen Fry....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

As well as being native to the Channel Islands, there are about twenty separate colonies of introduced wall lizards in the UK, mostly in southern England along the coast, including Boscombe, Ventnor, and Portland.
    They are quite easy to find in Ventnor botanical gardens. The fun on the Isle of Wight never stops.
  • Options
    Harry Enten of 538 looks at Clinton's very solid but not insurmountable lead :

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-why-clinton-doesnt-have-this-race-locked-up/
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Not everyone is rejoicing at the success of Team GB;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/17/olympics-hysteria-britain-turned-soviet-team-gb

Good old Guardian. You can always rely on them to put a dampner on things...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's very good of your child to read to you at bedtime .... :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    That went well for Owen Smith then. Not sure even if he had offered them a free ice cream it would have made any difference.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

All largely due to Chinese subsidy, which like the support given to so many of its other goods explains much of the rise of Trump
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Woohoo!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Employ Stephen Fry....
    He's just reading him the end of chapter six :)
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Gulp ... she had some shoes stolen from a hotel room recently .....

I don't think even the Demon of Dartmoor would dare to directly confront Ann Widdecombe
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Woohoo!

Or in Tyson househould...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, with muttering of bloody poshos.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I will translate

For some reason - GOD DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN AGAIN - which frankly I don't understand - ACTUALLY I DO UNDERSTAND BUT I WANT TO SNEER AGAIN - many people - UGH, PROLES - who voted Leave - UGH, REALLY, LOOK AT THEM, SMELLY PROLES - seem to get very emotional - LEAVE VOTERS ARE INCAPABLE OF RATIONAL THOUGHT - about the issue of the economic risks of Brexit - LOOK I CAN WRITE LIKE A SUBSTANDARD TIMES LEADER WRITER, I MUST BE SUPERIOR, HAHAHA AND DID I MENTION MY LARGE, UNDAMAGED DOLLAR PORTFOLIO?

Yes, good translation, but my original was pithier.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

FPT:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

SeanT said:

All things considered, surely the most remarkable thing about Theresa May's 68% net satisfaction lead over Corbyn is that it's not larger.

You and Mr Meeks and the other PB Remainers must be bitterly disappointed by the unemployment figures today. My sympathies
    I'm very pleased by the figures. They are excellent, and a great send-off for Osborne. What a superb Chancellor he was.

The figures have absolutely zilch to tell us about Brexit, of course.
    Why is it that any good figures "tell us zilch about Brexit" yet any bad figures however minuscule a move in the wrong direction proves beyond any doubt Remainers were absolutely correct in all respects.....

Only asking?
    They don't. As I've said many times, we'll need to wait many months before we can provide a sensible assessment. At the moment, we are simply seeing the expected very short-term effects on sterling, the markets and business confidence surveys, but those don't tell us very much that we didn't already know.
    "As I've said many times but you are clearly too stupid to understand" is how it comes across. It may not be your intention, but that's the impression it leaves
    Charles, meone who takes a balanced view of the economic risks is welcome to ignore my posts.
    Jesus. QED. Do you not ever re-read your posts and think Hmm?

Even this post sounds monumentally superior and patronising

I will translate

For some reason - GOD DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN AGAIN - which frankly I don't understand - ACTUALLY I DO UNDERSTAND BUT I WANT TO SNEER AGAIN - many people - UGH, PROLES - who voted Leave - UGH, REALLY, LOOK AT THEM, SMELLY PROLES - seem to get very emotional - LEAVE VOTERS ARE INCAPABLE OF RATIONAL THOUGHT - about the issue of the economic risks of Brexit - LOOK I CAN WRITE LIKE A SUBSTANDARD TIMES LEADER WRITER, I MUST BE SUPERIOR, HAHAHA AND I HAVE LARGE PORTFOLIO DID I TELL YOU THAT?
    Ultimately, if you believe the IFS, the story goes like this The UK exits the SM and works to WTO rules.

In fourteen years time, you're strolling jauntily down the street. You have ten pounds in your pocket. All of a sudden the EU fairy godmother appears and gives you forty pence. That's your staying in the EU bonus.

The people who need to be afraid are anyone working in the automotive sector, farmers and possibly some of our much valued and insufficiently loved City folk (thanks for the gigantic surplus chaps).
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

One of my favorite places on earth. Used to walk there most weekends as a kid. Great pubs too. As you say, Sean, beautiful in all weathers. In some ways, the nastier the weather, the more beautiful, but sunshine and blue skies is good too.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Owen Smith prepared to sit round a table with ISIS but not a Shadow Cabinet one with Corbyn.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/17/olympics-hysteria-britain-turned-soviet-team-gb

What is it with the left that they hate to see Britain ruling the World in sport. Next will be the huge success that will be Brexit and they will go into a collective meltdown. Losers the lot of them
  • Options

Great news, and glad they found a use for those bloody big hangars!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

GIN1138 said:

What is it with the left that they hate to see Britain ruling the World in sport. Next will be the huge success that will be Brexit and they will go into a collective meltdown. Losers the lot of them
    More specifically the article is by cynic extraordinaire Sir Simon Jenkins (also of the Standard and formerly the Times)

'Then on Tuesday night the BBC went bananas. At 10 o’clock we were denied important news – of Anjem Choudary’s conviction, of swingeing tax fines and of possible “special status” for Britain outside the EU. Instead we had to sit for an hour and a half, waiting for three minutes of BBC pandemonium as British cyclists yet again pedalled fast. We had to watch while the BBC aired pictures of its own commentary box punching the air and howling. These were not so much journalists as state cheerleaders. I was touched, like everyone, by the Jason Kenny/Laura Trott “golden love bond”, but how many times did I need to see them in tears? It was a total collapse of news values, the corporation peddling tabloid chauvinist schlock.

Throughout the cold war, Soviet bloc nations used sport as a proxy for economic success. With the connivance of the International Olympic Committee, they turned what used to be an amateur sport into the equivalent of a national defence force, hurling money and status at their athletes while the IOC turned the Games into a lavish field of the cloth of gold – at some poor taxpayer’s expense.'
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Great news, and glad they found a use for those bloody big hangars!

Yeah but where will TSE store his Versace silk shirts now ??
  • Options

That went well for Owen Smith then. Not sure even if he had offered them a free ice cream it would have made any difference.
    Be even funnier if it turned out to be a Momentum stitch up of the 'undecideds'.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jeez, Trump's speech about black voters.

Awful. Cringeworthy.

I must confess I was wrong. I thought he was a smart guy who had gone right to capture the populist Republicans, and the nomination, and then he would tack centre to get the prez.

Turns out he is just a narcissist. And a pretty unpleasant one, at that.

He is not particularly pleasant but he knows his white working class base is fearful of crime and backs the police and he also knows black voters are less likely to turn out for Hillary than Obama, hence his calculated comments
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

More specifically the article is by cynic extraordinaire Sir Simon Jenkins (also of the Standard and formerly the Times)

'Then on Tuesday night the BBC went bananas. At 10 o’clock we were denied important news – of Anjem Choudary’s conviction, of swingeing tax fines and of possible “special status” for Britain outside the EU. Instead we had to sit for an hour and a half, waiting for three minutes of BBC pandemonium as British cyclists yet again pedalled fast. We had to watch while the BBC aired pictures of its own commentary box punching the air and howling. These were not so much journalists as state cheerleaders. I was touched, like everyone, by the Jason Kenny/Laura Trott “golden love bond”, but how many times did I need to see them in tears? It was a total collapse of news values, the corporation peddling tabloid chauvinist schlock.

Throughout the cold war, Soviet bloc nations used sport as a proxy for economic success. With the connivance of the International Olympic Committee, they turned what used to be an amateur sport into the equivalent of a national defence force, hurling money and status at their athletes while the IOC turned the Games into a lavish field of the cloth of gold – at some poor taxpayer’s expense.'
    Simon Jenkins is worthless.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

One of my favorite places on earth. Used to walk there most weekends as a kid. Great pubs too. As you say, Sean, beautiful in all weathers. In some ways, the nastier the weather, the more beautiful, but sunshine and blue skies is good too.
    Indeed, plenty of excellent walks and of course Widdecombe on the Moor may have attracted the former Shadow Home Secretary
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

The pubs are superb. I went to six or seven pubs where you thought: Wow. This is what an English pub SHOULD be. Great beer, really nice food, beautiful old cob-and-thatch taverns or coaching inns, surrounded by rolling countryside or handsome moors and woods, and filled with happy drinkers and locals and laughing kids. Idyllic!

That said, the best moment was a bit posh. I went for a long circular walk in north east Dartmoor, then as I headed back for my car I realised I was near Gidleigh Park Hotel (which I've visited a few times over the years, and vaguely remembered as being lovely) so I went there for a couple of quenching beers.

Just divine.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/765585597033512961

One vision of heaven is an English pub garden on a Summers day
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

It takes a lot of effort to not simply not be into, gasp, people getting hyped over sporting events (which is a perfectly reasonable thing) to finding it offensive, even sinister.

For Christ's sake, I got swept up in the medal fervour too, and you know what, I didn't 'have to' watch it, and even though I did, I still heard plenty about most of the other topics he feels we should know about. What a whiner.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

He is a former editor of the Times and Chairman of the National Trust and a very establishment figure but he also seems to take great delight in going against the grain
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    i seriously doubt trump bringing in some nutters from breinhart news and going extra negative and loud and ravcist is really going to help him much.
  • Options

Owen Smith prepared to sit round a table with ISIS but not a Shadow Cabinet one with Corbyn.

This sort of mockery right here is clearly an indicator of just how stupid a thing it was he said, no matter what he was trying to say. It was one area a lot of non-Corbynites in and out of the party feel Corbyn is weak on, and he made Corbyn look good!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

It takes a lot of effort to not simply not be into, gasp, people getting hyped over sporting events (which is a perfectly reasonable thing) to finding it offensive, even sinister.

For Christ's sake, I got swept up in the medal fervour too, and you know what, I didn't 'have to' watch it, and even though I did, I still heard plenty about most of the other topics he feels we should know about. What a whiner.
    Did he vote REMAIN? :lol:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

This sort of mockery right here is clearly an indicator of just how stupid a thing it was he said, no matter what he was trying to say. It was one area a lot of non-Corbynites in and out of the party feel Corbyn is weak on, and he made Corbyn look good!
    It really is going some when you are seen as weaker on terror than walter the softy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Whining is a Jenkins trademark, he even whined when Scotland voted to stay in the UK
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

The pubs are superb. I went to six or seven pubs where you thought: Wow. This is what an English pub SHOULD be. Great beer, really nice food, beautiful old cob-and-thatch taverns or coaching inns, surrounded by rolling countryside or handsome moors and woods, and filled with happy drinkers and locals and laughing kids. Idyllic!

That said, the best moment was a bit posh. I went for a long circular walk in north east Dartmoor, then as I headed back for my car I realised I was near Gidleigh Park Hotel (which I've visited a few times over the years, and vaguely remembered as being lovely) so I went there for a couple of quenching beers.

Just divine.

The Trout, Godstow, is one such. The Ferry Inn, Salcombe, is another. And, the Brocket Arms, Ayot St. Lawrence.
  • Options
    I actually find that one a little more reasonable in its point, even if the gloomily pessimistic view is taking it further than is fair I think.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

He is a former editor of the Times and Chairman of the National Trust and a very establishment figure but he also seems to take great delight in going against the grain
    He's the type of establishment figure who detests his own country.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

No, he's much worse than that. He's a misanthrope who detests everybody presently alive.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

There is not much Simon Jenkins does not detest apart from historic houses
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    SeanT said:

After Smith's ineffable remarks about ISIS, I am in the strange position of thinking that - if I were a Labour member - I would be forced to opt for Corbyn as the SENSIBLE CANDIDATE
    It really was another awful day for the Smith camp. There is no way of spinning his crass comments with regards to IS. And as for the visuals of all of those people moving to the Corbyn side of the room - well, he would be better to withdraw now - Momentum might just spare him.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Just divine.

The Trout, Godstow, is one such. The Ferry Inn, Salcombe, is another. And, the Brocket Arms, Ayot St. Lawrence.
    Maybe not the best pub in Britain, but some of my very best pub memories here after walks as a teenager around Burrator Dam - never got age checked :)

http://www.royaloakinn.org.uk
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/High_ground_view_of_Burrator_reservoir.jpg
  • Options
    Finally! The TV is telling me that temperatures will fall into the 80s F (i.e. below 32C) starting next Monday. It's been a stinking hot August so far. Every day in the 90s with it feeling like it's in the 100s.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Just divine.

Maybe not the best pub in Britain, but some of my very best pub memories here after walks as a teenager around Burrator Dam - never got age checked :)

http://www.royaloakinn.org.uk
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/High_ground_view_of_Burrator_reservoir.jpg
    I think if I moved away from the UK it might be the pubs that I would miss the most (apart from friends, family, culture etc *cough*)

You really can't find their equal anywhere else. And they are crucial to happiness.
    I used to say I missed 2 things about the UK. Country pubs and the West End theatre. Now, it's just the pubs. And Cornish pasties (actually, good meat pies in general).
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So today we have an IoC arrested over ticket touting at one of the worst attended Olympics in modern history.

And apparently the BMX was a clusterf##k. When the riders turned up they had painted lots of surfaces in a plain colour which didn't enable the riders to be able to see the peak points of the various humps / jumps.

Just another normal day at the Rio Omnishambles Games.
This discussion has been closed.