Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Making sense of this week’s UK and US polling – the PB/Poll

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Making sense of this week’s UK and US polling – the PB/Polling Matters TV Show

Hardly a day’s gone by without some new UK poll much of it focused on the new PM and, of course, the Smth-Corbyn battle for the Labour leadership. On top of that WH2016 gets closer and the question is being asked of whether a Hillary Clinton is now inevitable.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Keirin not ruling out doing a Linekar in future episodes!
  • Options
    Gordon's government net satisfaction best -17 apparently. I know governments are not generally popular in any way, but still, I still prefer him to Blair.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    A new thread already. I'm sorry, but there is so much to talk about with regards to the juicy politics of Farnham. I bet if there was a by election in Bedford we'd get a four week build up to the big day with in depth analysis from OGH.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: Jeremy Corbyn continuously refuses to say Britain would come to the aid of a NATO ally in the event of an attack from Russia.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Was this on some on some sort of "auto publish" programme?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Australia's Melissa Wu is particularly yummy.
  • Options
    UKIP defences in local, in Thanet no less. Perfect for us to get over excited about.

I do like that we are still in the phase where people are arguing if May is cautious and competent, smartly remaining out of fights, or just has nothing to her, does nothing and says nothing and so survives but won't flourish. We shall see.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Jeremy Corbyn continuously refuses to say Britain would come to the aid of a NATO ally in the event of an attack from Russia.

Wonder if his criteria are the opposite to Trump? ie. we'll only help if you don't spend anything on defence...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Unfortunate, although in his defence I bet a lot of people say we should honour NATO commitments, and then would start to hesitate about committing forces to defend Estonia.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Unfortunate, although in his defence I bet a lot of people say we should honour NATO commitments, and then would start to hesitate about committing forces to defend Estonia.
    Correct.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I'd be up for defending Estonia. At least they meet the 2% minimum spend. I wouldn't be up for defending the cheap arse Germans though.
  • Options
    Is it just me or has speculation about potential Labour splits died down in the past couple of weeks? A temporary lull, or have people come to believe those MPs are going nowhere no matter what?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

But that's the whole point of NATO, to stop Russia moving west.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I'd be up for defending Estonia. At least they meet the 2% minimum spend. I wouldn't be up for defending the cheap arse Germans though.
    Would you be up for defending 'staunch ally' Turkey?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Correct.
    As with Trident of course, the point is not what we actually would do, but to be firm in pretending what we would do. Even if we wouldn't. Sending mixed signals is the easiest way to end up in a war (cf. Falklands).
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Where else would we fight the Russkies if not in the Baltics? The UK would, naturally, honour its treaty obligations.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited August 2016
    Bournemouth air show today and now just watching the night flying spectacular.

Red Arrows on this afternoon makes you proud to be British. :smile:
    #redarrowsno1

Looks like this
    https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5797/20595822719_665de0afb6.jpg
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is it just me or has speculation about potential Labour splits died down in the past couple of weeks? A temporary lull, or have people come to believe those MPs are going nowhere no matter what?

Perhaps they think Smith has a chance so probably best to STFU until we know the outcome. If Corbyn wins, however, I think they'll go into meltdown. I don't know how it will play out but I don't think they'll try to get on with it as though the no confidence vote didn't happen.
  • Options
    alex. said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Correct.
    As with Trident of course, the point is not what we actually would do, but to be firm in pretending what we would do.
    I imagine that is true, and I don't think a prospective PM should appear to waver on being willing to honour commitments. Obviously we don't think it will happen and we would hope to solve situations by dialogue if possible, but you need to seem capable of acting differently. However, it is another example where Corbyn will find plenty of support from the die hard pacifists (the ones who think any military action is wrong, and get around defence scenarios by insisting it will never come to pass anyway) and others who don't actually agree with the commitment as being worth it.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    I find it amazing how Corbyn is essentially going for leadership again of a parliamentary party he's lost the confidence of.

Smith and Corbyn as bad as each other. All well and good saying things like "end poverty" and "free education", which people will probably agree with, but where's the substance? Where's all the money coming from? Corbyn keeps saying it'll be from the 50p tax rate and clamping down on tax avoidance but there'll be nowhere near enough.

Then there's the 500 billion extra spending, privisation of railways, some sort of universal education service, unilateral nuclear disarmament, cutting tax relief for drug research...

Take this sort of stuff to the electorate and it'll be a bloodbath.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    tlg86 said:

A new thread already. I'm sorry, but there is so much to talk about with regards to the juicy politics of Farnham.

Not to mention its traffic. We haven't discussed the Dora's Green Ratrun yet.

• Options
    Corbyn's position on NATO is entirely consistent

He wants to turn the Labour Party into Stop the War
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps they think Smith has a chance so probably best to STFU until we know the outcome. If Corbyn wins, however, I think they'll go into meltdown. I don't know how it will play out but I don't think they'll try to get on with it as though the no confidence vote didn't happen.
    They're probably just embarrassed that they've managed to "unite" around a candidate who is worse than Corbyn, and is not even making any attempt to pitch himself as somebody who can appeal to the wider electorate.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

I think that's exactly what most will try to do. I think that would be laughable - his winning does not change they thought him incompetent at being leader - but how many will be willing to at least go quiet, how many will want to remain in open rebellion if he wins big once again? They think his leadership will hurt Labour, but if they think there's no way to remove him what's the point of still fighting? That would only hurt Labour more, and ain't more than a handful if that going indy, which would also hurt Labour.
  • Options
    Ducks...

@jonwalker121: (for the record, event was in Solihull which isn't part of Birmingham but the world won't end if you call it Birmingham) #LabourLeadership
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

I find it amazing how Corbyn is essentially going for leadership again of a parliamentary party he's lost the confidence of.

Smith and Corbyn as bad as each other. All well and good saying things like "end poverty" and "free education", which people will probably agree with, but where's the substance? Where's all the money coming from? Corbyn keeps saying it'll be from the 50p tax rate and clamping down on tax avoidance but there'll be nowhere near enough.

Then there's the 500 billion extra spending, privisation of railways, some sort of universal education service, unilateral nuclear disarmament, cutting tax relief for drug research...

No-one's promised free owls yet, though, have they?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

A far away country of which we no little of course

Such things are what world wars are made of though I suspect this time that it would take about 5 hours to complete rather than 5 years.
  • Options
    "Party for a United Thanet" standing tonight I see. I feel like they have limited ambition. Is united Thanet really that hard?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

A new thread already. I'm sorry, but there is so much to talk about with regards to the juicy politics of Farnham.

Not to mention its traffic. We haven't discussed the Dora's Green Ratrun yet.

On the previous thread I gave my tip on how to tackle the Shepherd and Flock in the rush hour.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

We're mightily close. I've only scratched the surface of some of the stupid things suggested.
  • Options
    Keirin tempting fate suggesting the favourability rating toward the Tories underuts the Labour 'we're the good guys' narrative, as though the nasty party tag is fading.

For what it is worth they seem to generate more casual hate than other parties, although Labour get plenty among the politically inclined on the right.
  • Options

We're mightily close. I've only scratched the surface of some of the stupid things suggested.
    I assumed they were offering owls + a cash payment?
  • Options
    John_M said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Where else would we fight the Russkies if not in the Baltics? The UK would, naturally, honour its treaty obligations.
    Since the end of World war 2 the Russians and the Americans have been fighting each other just in other people's countries.
  • Options
    @insidethegames: BREAKING: #YelenaIsinbayeva elected as member of the International Olympic Committee https://t.co/aCs0zGt727 #Olympics #Rio2016 #Russia
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Other way round I reckon. They think he's going to lose so they don't want to put any hostages to fortune out there.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Keirin tempting fate suggesting the favourability rating toward the Tories underuts the Labour 'we're the good guys' narrative, as though the nasty party tag is fading.

For what it is worth they seem to generate more casual hate than other parties, although Labour get plenty among the politically inclined on the right.

Doubt the Tories have ever lost an election because they were seen as "nasty".
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    kle4 said:

FPTP kills off any idea of a split or it would happen tommorow.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_P said:

@insidethegames: BREAKING: #YelenaIsinbayeva elected as member of the International Olympic Committee https://t.co/aCs0zGt727 #Olympics #Rio2016 #Russia

Barmy. You would have thought banned competitors couldn't stand for these types of positions.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

Isn’t she banned from participating in Rio – they must be crackers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Whatever next, Sepp Blatter gets a seat?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    kle4 said:

"Party for a United Thanet" standing tonight I see. I feel like they have limited ambition. Is united Thanet really that hard?

Are they proposing to merge the two constituencies? :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Scott_P said:

And she missed the nomination deadline by a month but Russian money the IOC decided that was ok.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ha ha. The clean Russian athletes should be back in the competition shortly.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

i think Labour are now, if not hated, then definitely held in violent contempt by large swathes of the population, from Scots to northern WWClasses, to, in particular, the lower middle classes and middle classes of southern England - hence their dire election results and terribling polling in southern England

This isn't just a pendulum swing, this is millions of people deciding they will NEVER vote for the Labour Party again, unless they see radical change (like a Tony Blair figure in charge, once again, and what are the chances of that?)

Desperate stuff for Labour.
    I have my doubts, personally, although its all based on anecdotal stuff. We've seen there has been a seeming sea change in Scotland from former Labour voters, so it could happen elsewhere, but then I come across people like a relative of mine - 60 yrs old WWC, never voted until the Brexit vote, holds all politicians in contempt, and usually seems opposed to Labour policies more than Tory ones...but still says if they had to vote, they'd vote Labour.

Now, they are intending to return to being a non-voter, but if such a person would, if pressed, go for Labour even though I cannot see what about it appeals to them (definitely no Corbynista), or at least repels them the least, then will enough hold on for Labour to prevent disaster at the least, and spring surprises at best?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Scott_P said:

Whatever next, Sepp Blatter gets a seat?
    Well he has form experience
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

It was the IAAF that banned the Russians, not the IOC.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

And she missed the nomination deadline by a month but Russian money the IOC decided that was ok.
    As bent clean as the Olympic boxing judges.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

She's meant to be one of the clean ones, but caught up in the general Athletics ban on Russia I think. Sucks for her, although I have little sympathy - it was state sponsored doping, how do you punish that other than banning that nation's entire complement, so they have a real interest in ensuring that culture does not return?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

i think Labour are now, if not hated, then definitely held in violent contempt by large swathes of the population, from Scots to northern WWClasses, to, in particular, the lower middle classes and middle classes of southern England - hence their dire election results and terribling polling in southern England

This isn't just a pendulum swing, this is millions of people deciding they will NEVER vote for the Labour Party again, unless they see radical change (like a Tony Blair figure in charge, once again, and what are the chances of that?)

Desperate stuff for Labour.
    I have my doubts, personally, although its all based on anecdotal stuff. We've seen there has been a seeming sea change in Scotland from former Labour voters, so it could happen elsewhere, but then I come across people like a relative of mine - 60 yrs old WWC, never voted until the Brexit vote, holds all politicians in contempt, and usually seems opposed to Labour policies more than Tory ones...but still says if they had to vote, they'd vote Labour.

Now, they are intending to return to being a non-voter, but if such a person would, if pressed, go for Labour even though I cannot see what about it appeals to them (definitely no Corbynista), or at least repels them the least, then will enough hold on for Labour to prevent disaster at the least, and spring surprises at best?
    Swing voters move/stay with the Conservatives, traditional Labour voters stay at home = disaster for Labour
  • Options
    Labour much harder on their former PMs than Tories (in favourability ratings) is an interesting one - Keirin offhandly wondering if it is a part of seeing governing as a betrayal.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Speaking of Olympics, do we believe Ryan Lochte? Looks like America doesn't.
  • Options
    Watching the Olympic Taekwondo. Exactly what are they trying to do?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Gold or Silver for Jade Jones
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Brazilian released more CCTV now. Doesn't look good for him.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Welsh lass into the final of weird kicky in your PJs event.
  • Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

As bent clean as the Olympic boxing judges.
    Woolfe must be envious.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Reuters: This is the security video that undermines U.S. Olympic swimmers' reports of Rio robbery: https://t.co/zYTzpTMdY8 https://t.co/603j4wTKAk
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Labour much harder on their former PMs than Tories (in favourability ratings) is an interesting one - Keirin offhandly wondering if it is a part of seeing governing as a betrayal.

I don't think it's seeing governing as a betrayal, so much as a fundamental failure to understand the reality of government.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

Kick each other in the head or stomach, the perfect sport for a Saturday night in a pub car park.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

It was the IAAF that banned the Russians, not the IOC.
    Damn, you're right.

Maybe someone like Isinbayeva, having just missed a great chance at a gold medal through no fault of her own, is the sort of person the IOC needs to come down hard on the drugs issue. As in lifetime bans from the Olympics for anyone caught using drugs.
  • Options

Welsh lass into the final of weird kicky event.

In the final, she has to fight a horse....
  • Options
    And the hits just keep on coming...

@joerichlaw: Labour facing cancellation of next month's crucial Party Conference as officials fail to arrange security contract https://t.co/DEK9z9mLjd
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Kick each other in the head or stomach, the perfect sport for a Saturday night in a pub car park.
    As the crowd cheer on "Leave it, Jade, she's not worf it..."
  • Options
    It isn't very exciting to watch this kicky in your PJs. But then I think it is probably like the wrestling in your PJs event...if you were to try and fight them you would be on your arse in seconds, but at the highest level the edges are tiny.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

@joerichlaw: Labour facing cancellation of next month's crucial Party Conference as officials fail to arrange security contract https://t.co/DEK9z9mLjd

Guess how long it will take them to drop their ideological hatred of G4S, in the face of having their conference cancelled 'cos no-one else wants to work with them either?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Guess how long it will take them to drop their ideological hatred of G4S in the face of having their conference cancelled 'cos no-one else wants to work with them either?

Except Corbyn wouldn't mind if the Labour conference is cancelled. He is double booked at the momentum conference
  • Options
    China pull back a gold and silver in the little girls diving off the top board.

It's only their domination of wiff-waff giving them a chance of overhauling us.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Guess how long it will take them to drop their ideological hatred of G4S, in the face of having their conference cancelled 'cos no-one else wants to work with them either?
    Incompetent and often disliked, yet remarkably ubiquitous: Labour, the G4S of politics?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

htps://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/766367775501746176

May doesn't want to open a can of worms by even trying for that, I imagine.
  • Options
    I have this vision of all these Taekwondo fighters doing day to day chores on one leg e.g hopping around the supermarket kicking the trolley down the aisles.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hard to imagine a better way to signal to the voters that you have given up as a serious mainstream party.....
  • Options
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

I don't think it's seeing governing as a betrayal, so much as a fundamental failure to understand the reality of government.
    I think that too, but Keirin seemed quite down on them at the moment.

I recall switching over to it for Athens - the commentator said, 'and if you've just joined us, this isn't the world bouncing championships'
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hard to imagine a better way to signal to the voters that you have given up as a serious mainstream party.....
    Electing Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

i think Labour are now, if not hated, then definitely held in violent contempt by large swathes of the population, from Scots to northern WWClass, to, in particular, the lower middle class and middle class of southern England outside London - hence their dire election results and terrible polling south of the line from Wash to Bristol.

This isn't just a pendulum swing, this is millions of people deciding they will NEVER vote for the Labour Party again, unless they see radical change (like a Tony Blair figure in charge, once more, and what are the chances of that?)

Desperate times for Labour: the reviled Party.
    Labour's position is - by any measure - dire. You've got a whole swathe of traditionally marginal seats, like Dartford, Gravesham, Nuneaton, Stevenage, Tamworth, Hemel Hempstead, Medway, where they're no longer a contender, and they don't seem to care.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That's probably a win, isn't it?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

China pull back a gold and silver in the little girls diving off the top board.

It's only their domination of wiff-waff giving them a chance of overhauling us.

For all the talk about us being dominant in a few events, it's worth remembering that for China 15 of their 20 golds come from only 3 events - Diving, Weightlifting and Table Tennis.

Team GB has 3 or more Golds in only two events, Cycling and Rowing, and our top three (including sailing) comes to 11 out of our 21.

The USA is absurdly dominant in swimming, with 16 golds alone, and if you include their top 3 events (a little unfair as it includes athletics, which covers a much wider area than others) then 26 of their 31 has come from 3 sports areas.

So we have a decent spread of Golds to be honest.
  • Options
    It's quite amusing that of all the potential reasons Labour could find to reject G4S as a provider security, the clincher is something about Palestinians in Israeli prisons.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

Scott_P said:

Ways you could do this include:

1) elect an elderly nutcase with no intelligence or experience as leader on the basis he utters the right cliches;

2) Have the leader repeatedly vote against his own party's defence policy;

3) Have almost the entire Shadow Cabinet resign in protest at his laziness, discourtesy and incompetence;

4) Have said members of the shadow cabinet verbally and physically assaulted, while the said leader does nothing despite urging a 'kinder, gentler politics,;

5) Have 80% of MPs vote against the leader in a confidence motion which he ignores;

6) Have a leadership election which is subject to two separate legal challenges, one of which is overturned on appeal;

7) Have a leadership contest that focuses exclusively on foreign policy which it turns out neither candidate has the least understanding of;

8) Cancel the conference because you can't work with any of the security firms that could keep people safe.

Labour have done their recent bout of self-destruction with style and panache. Any one would be sufficient, but they decided to do them all. Maybe their solution to the problem of security is to have so few MPs that they can hold future meetings in a taxi (a Reliant Robin, maybe)?

If only it was an Olympic sport so we could get another gold out of it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago
    Friday's FT BREXIT EXCLUSIVE: "City abandons hope of full access to EU single market" #tomorrowspaperstoday

tbh, I'm surprised the FT didn't run with black edging.

Anyway, if it's true and that is the City's representative view, May will be able to wipe the sweat from her brow.
  • Options

Head kick contact wins prizes .....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago
    Friday's FT BREXIT EXCLUSIVE: "City abandons hope of full access to EU single market" #tomorrowspaperstoday

They should just construct signs, placed strategically around all the borders of the EU, saying:

Abandon hope all ye who leave here

• Options
    The commentary on the next kicky fight is beyond bizarre. Talking about pocket-picking.
  • Options

The commentary on the next kicky fight is beyond bizarre. Talking about pocket-picking.

Hard to commentate on Nothing Happening. No points scored after two rounds. Just lots of squealing....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Ways you could do this include:

1) elect an elderly nutcase with no intelligence or experience as leader on the basis he utters the right cliches;

2) Have the leader repeatedly vote against his own party's defence policy;

3) Have almost the entire Shadow Cabinet resign in protest at his laziness, discourtesy and incompetence;

4) Have said members of the shadow cabinet verbally and physically assaulted, while the said leader does nothing despite urging a 'kinder, gentler politics,;

5) Have 80% of MPs vote against the leader in a confidence motion which he ignores;

6) Have a leadership election which is subject to two separate legal challenges, one of which is overturned on appeal;

7) Have a leadership contest that focuses exclusively on foreign policy which it turns out neither candidate has the least understanding of;

8) Cancel the conference because you can't work with any of the security firms that could keep people safe.

Labour have done their recent bout of self-destruction with style and panache. Any one would be sufficient, but they decided to do them all. Maybe their solution to the problem of security is to have so few MPs that they can hold future meetings in a taxi (a Reliant Robin, maybe)?

If only it was an Olympic sport so we could get another gold out of it.
    There's a lot of ruin in a big political party. But, a big party can be ruined, as the Liberals demonstrated. Lloyd George, Asquith, Samuel, Simon, and their followers left no stone unturned, in their determination to destroy their party.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Anyway, if it's true and that is the City's representative view, May will be able to wipe the sweat from her brow.
    So we're going for Switzerland PLUS - i.e. plus extra access for Financial Services?

It's risky, very risky, but if we pull it off it could be the best possible result.

Switzerland is an enviable nation. I'd be totally happy if the UK could be an oversized Switzerland, with more soft power.

Yes, but we won't call it Swiss+ 'cos the Swiss-EU relationship is, in diplo speak, in the shitter.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

The FT is a joke.
  • Options
    What happens in the kicky fight in Jim jams if they are equal at the end. Is it a sudden death kick off?
  • Options

Hard to commentate on Nothing Happening. No points scored after two rounds. Just lots of squealing....
    Golden point round coming up!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

What happens in the kicky fight in Jim jams if they are equal at the end. Is it a sudden death kick off?

Yes. Could last hours on this form.....
  • Options
    Ooo it's a "golden point" then
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Sean_F said:

There's a lot of ruin in a big political party. But, a big party can be ruined, as the Liberals demonstrated. Lloyd George, Asquith, Samuel, Simon, and their followers left no stone unturned, in their determination to destroy their party.

A lot of that was about the big egos of the men concerned. Indeed, Lloyd George and Asquith later reconciled (officially) while a follower of Simon became leader of the Samuelites from 1945-55.

This is a fundamental clash with no obvious solution that could easily end with the total destruction of the Labour movement. About the only avoidable mistake they haven't made is attempting assassinations of each other.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's a bit of a disaster, really, isn't it? From crime to Russia to doping to bent judges to... worst of all... the endless empty seats in all arenas.

The worst games of modern times? Gotta be close, with Atlanta.
    Athens was pretty appalling.

It's a bit difficult to accurately assess the situation with crowds. I think there is a lot of comparison with London, where the crowd attendence was unprecedented. I remember quotes from athletes expressing astonishment at the huge attendance at sessions which all by all precedents were pretty sparsely attended (eg. morning/"qualifying" sessions at athletics). Can't recall how attendance generally was pre London.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Watching the Olympics now is a bit like the end of the NH season. We've had the excitement culminating in the Gold Cup (100m) and are now waiting for the Whitbread (200m).

The rest is meh.
  • Options
    Kicky Final at 2am. Someone tell me what happens!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Kicky Final at 2am. Someone tell me what happens!

It's like a semi-violent Riverdance.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    TOPPING said:

Watching the Olympics now is a bit like the end of the NH season. We've had the excitement culminating in the Gold Cup (100m) and are now waiting for the Whitbread (200m).

The rest is meh.

Don't miss the showjumping in the Modern Pentathlon. Usually good for a laugh if the organisers haven't taken much care in picking the horses.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

So we're going for Switzerland PLUS - i.e. plus extra access for Financial Services?

It's risky, very risky, but if we pull it off it could be the best possible result.

Switzerland is an enviable nation. I'd be totally happy if the UK could be an oversized Switzerland, with more soft power.

Yes, but we won't call it Swiss+ 'cos the Swiss-EU relationship is, in diplo speak, in the shitter.
    My recent visit to Ticino - the Italian-speaking corner of Switzerland - spoke eloquently of an extroardinarily lucky country - beautiful, peaceful, friendly, happy. Nice wines. Good food. Splendid railways. Sexy girls and a rock hard currency.

The only problem was the traffic through the (incredibly impressive) road tunnels.

Let us be a bigger Switzerland, Lord. For this we pray.

We will be fine whatever happens. That's assuming you're not in certain financial services in the City, a large agri-business or a Sunderland/Castle Bromwich car worker, and so on.
This discussion has been closed.