Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s most senior elected politician, Sadiq Khan, comes

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s most senior elected politician, Sadiq Khan, comes out strongly against Corbyn

With LAB leadership voting stating on Monday Sadiq Khan makes his view clear in Observer pic.twitter.com/ZokjSbmROM

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    edited August 2016
    Thirst? Again?

I don't spend my life on here... honest.

I'm starting to get a little sick of the popcorn that Labour's travails are causing me to eat. Anyone know any alternatives?
  • Options
    Burnley = Tories
    Liverpool = Corbynite Labour
  • Options
    Sadiq = Tory
    Mike = Tory
  • Options
    Fourth like a Team GB swimmer.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

Thirst? Again?

I'm starting to get a little sick of the popcorn that Labour's travails are causing me to eat. Anyone know any alternatives?

Bombay mix.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Is it right that losing semi finalists in Taekwando don#t get an automatic bronze but losing boxers do. Doesn't seem fair.

On topic, Khan is well placed to speak out strongly and survive any Corbynite backlash.
  • Options
    Bugger, you've pre-empted my morning thread
  • Options

Thirst? Again?

I've just taken delivery of many bags of Walkers' Cheese and Onion, in anticipation of the Labour leadership contest/shambles reaching its nail biting conclusion.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    Buy some of that wine Sean T recommended ... Looks like it will solve any headaches.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Thirst? Again?

UKIP?
  • Options
    wasd said:

Thirst? Again?

Bombay mix.
    I lived off that stuff from the school tuck shop. I've never been able to find any that matches the taste I remember. Probably chemicals that are now banned...
  • Options
    FPT

Northants win their second T20 in four years (and were runners up last year).

Can we please kill off these dumb city franchises?

Absolutely, I'm a proud Yorkshireman, but I'd sooner trap an appendage in a door than cheer a Leeds cricket team.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

Fourth like a Team GB swimmer.

Adam Peaty may have something to say about that!
  • Options
    Our guy can't hit a cows behind with a shovel in the posho multi-eventing....
  • Options
    On topic,

The shitstorm that's headed towards Sadiq Khan from the Corbynistas is going to be bigger than The Great Red Spot on Jupiter
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Been a bad few hours for Team GB. Off to the salt mine with them all...
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    "Sadiq's endorsement of Smith will increase pressure on Burnham to do same (plenty of his former supporters backing Corbyn)."

Burnham surely wouldn't be that stupid, he'll remain wibbly wobbly neutral til the Mayoral vote.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

wasd said:

Thirst? Again?

Bombay mix.
    I lived off that stuff from the school tuck shop. I've never been able to find any that matches the taste I remember. Probably chemicals that are now banned...
    Oddly enough bombay mix was one of those things that, as a kid, we only ever really got around Christmas time so whenever I have it now it kinda feels like I should be watching some awful Christmas special or another.

It's a funny thing, memory...
  • Options
    The article is up

Ditch Jeremy Corbyn before it’s too late, Sadiq Khan tells Labour

London mayor throws weight behind challenger Owen Smith, after condemning party leader for failing to show leadership over Brexit

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/20/ditch-jeremy-corbyn-before-too-late-sadiq-khan-tells-labour
  • Options
    Aye, its all gone pear shaped in the super posho event.
  • Options

Our guy can't hit a cows behind with a shovel in the posho multi-eventing....

Shame, was well placed for a medal of some sort. Down to Mo and Joyce to close out the 2nd spot.
  • Options
    Just been reading about the origin of the word Albion.

Apparently the word was the original ancient Greek word for Britain and the Gaelic name for Scotland Alba is derived from it.

By 2000 years ago when we all spoke Welsh Scotland was known as Alban and the Romans Latinised it as Albania.

How glorious. Now that Scotland is run by Enver Shtugeonxha and Alex "King Zog" Salmond I think the place should be called Albania again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albania_(placename)?wprov=sfla1
  • Options
    So if we do finish ahead of China, we should get Hong Kong back.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

wasd said:

Thirst? Again?

Bombay mix.
    Quite likely but even if not, your palate will have changed since childhood, so if you could find the identical bombay mix, it will taste different.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Still 2 gold, 4 silver medals ahead of China as of now. It is actually closer between Russia and Germany for 4th (both are on 16 golds) than GB and China for second
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016/medals/countries
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Still 2 gold, 4 silver medals ahead of China as of now
    Is this like the crystal maze? Where every silver cancels out a gold?
  • Options

wasd said:

Thirst? Again?

Bombay mix.
    Quite likely but even if not, your palate will have changed since childhood, so if you could find the identical bombay mix, it will taste different.
    I think the school bombay mix burnt most of my taste buds.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    So Sadiq Khan calculating that he can push Smith out about 2018, when Smith has been shown to be the loser with the voters we know him to be.....
  • Options

So Sadiq Khan calculating that he can push Smith out about 2018, when Smith has been shown to be the loser with the voters we know him to be.....

If Smith wins the membership he will be leader until 2020 for certain, he will have a mandate and Khan is not going to give up the most powerful directly elected post in the country to lose to May. If he does try to run for leader it would be after an election defeat, could well be Khan v Chuka then
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Still 2 gold, 4 silver medals ahead of China as of now
    Is this like the crystal maze? Where every silver cancels out a gold?
    No silver cancels out a gold but it does cancel out a bronze
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The article is up

London mayor throws weight behind challenger Owen Smith, after condemning party leader for failing to show leadership over Brexit

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/20/ditch-jeremy-corbyn-before-too-late-sadiq-khan-tells-labour

The problem is not Corbyn's muted opposition to Brexit before the referendum, it is that Labour has no effective position right now, so the process of Brexit is left entirely to theConservative government.
  • Options

So if we do finish ahead of China, we should get Hong Kong back.

Throw in India too and we are back at No1 in the world!
  • Options
    So is Mo our only likely additional gold?
  • Options

Boxing - Joe Joyce has a decent chance.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I believe so now...and I have a bad feeling he isn't going to do it.

Edit:- And the super heavy weight slugger.

Crazy to think, most likely come 2nd in the medal table and so so many close misses. I have completely lost track of the number of 4ths, its a lot.
  • Options
    So anyhoo, I've written a thread which begins with

'Jeremy Corbyn, like the picture of The Fallen Madonna With The Big Boobies in 'Allo 'Allo'
  • Options

Even if we do not win a single extra gold medal we still come second provided China does not win 3 more golds or 2 more golds and 4 more silvers
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

The article is up

There we go again with the contradictions. One minute saying Corbyn isn't in tune with public opinion enough, then the next minute saying Corbyn was TOO in tune with public opinion on Europe and should've shouted "you're wrong" at Leave voters more loudly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Even if we do not win a single extra gold medal we still come second provided China does not win 3 more golds or 2 more golds and 4 more silvers
    They're in the Volleyball final but can't think of any other chances for Gold.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There's no way that China can get that many silvers so they need three golds - TKD and volleyball are two but where's the third coming from ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    edited August 2016

Would Peter Snow be involved?

Dan Snow - Peter Snow will have to do the Synchronised Swingometer :lol:
    Dan Snow, Peter Snow, Jon Snow, Tom Snow, it's still rock and roll to me

[Billy Joel. Still rocks... :) ]
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

Crazy to think, most likely come 2nd in the medal table and so so many close misses. I have completely lost track of the number of 4ths, its a lot.
    Would be interesting to see how many 4ths we have compared to China and USA
  • Options
    Even if only one more gold is on offer for Britain, is there a chance of two other medals to top our overall tally from 2012?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There's no way that China can get that many silvers so they need three golds - TKD and volleyball are two but where's the third coming from ?
    Tomorrow's all wrestling and a bit of boxing. Unless they have a miracle in the marathon...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    IanB2 said:

I am sure they have loads too...my points was more it isn't like we "fluked" 20-30 events. The range and depth of events Team GB has done well in is fantastic.

I think somebody had some stats that showed China haul is overwhelmingly 2-3 sports like wiff waff.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Even if only one more gold is on offer for Britain, is there a chance of two other medals to top our overall tally from 2012?

Possible of two bronze in the TK, women's 4 x 400 relay, Sharp in the 800m but that's a long shot.

Mo Farah and Joe Joyce are the realistic Gold prospects. GB could get to 66, its going to be close.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Danny565 said:

One more guaranteed in the boxing, then chances for Mr Mobot, women 4 x 400m, women 800m (very outside chance), 2 x OLK.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

There's two bronze medal matches in the TKD.

With a boxing medal guaranteed already.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

2 Bronze medal bouts for Taekwando. A guaranteed silver in boxing.

Equaling our golds in 2012 is no longer possible, but if Mo can get a medal that is 65 even if we get nothing in Taekwando.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

Apparently the word was the original ancient Greek word for Britain and the Gaelic name for Scotland Alba is derived from it.

By 2000 years ago when we all spoke Welsh Scotland was known as Alban and the Romans Latinised it as Albania.

How glorious. Now that Scotland is run by Enver Shtugeonxha and Alex "King Zog" Salmond I think the place should be called Albania again.

Out of interest latest research (partly involving DNA analysis) suggests the long-believed view that Celtic (aka Welsh) was spoken across Britain before the angles and Saxons arrived is wrong, and that earlier waves of Germanic settlers preceded the As&Ss. This would explain the mystery of why there are almost no Celtic place names in England, aside from the odd river.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited August 2016
    I'm suprised I've come out so clearly for Corbyn. I need the £25 quidders to canvass for me in my re-election bid.

I can always change my mind I guess, it's not like I actually believe in anything. The voters are bastards afterall. lol.

"i'll freeze fares" what idiot believed that?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

They're in the Volleyball final but can't think of any other chances for Gold.
    Yes, even the Taekwondo would probably not be enough, it was the unexpected hockey gold yesterday which likely sealed it for GB
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I am sure they have loads too...my points was more it isn't like we "fluked" 20-30 events. The range and depth of events Team GB has done well in is fantastic.

I think somebody had some stats that showed China haul is overwhelmingly 2-3 sports like wiff waff.
    Of 24 Golds 16 are in Diving, Weightlifting or Pingpong. Which is an improved spread of golds than yesterday.

By contrast only 2 events have we gotten more than 2 Golds, Rowing and Cycling, less than half our golds from 3 events. Golds in 15 events vs 9 for China.
  • Options
    What happened to Tom Daley?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
  • Options
    edited August 2016

He did a Peter Kay top bombing impersonation.
  • Options
    Corbyn supporters, doncha just love 'em?
    https://twitter.com/poobiocks/status/767110503919484929
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

Indeed, got it in one
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    edited August 2016
    1-0 to Brazil against Germany at half time.

Second half not being shown :(

EDIT BBC rejoin the match 8 minutes late!
  • Options

What could be possibly be suggesting?

In other news, suggestions Labour are going to have to expel 1000s for Antisemitism.
  • Options

Bugger.

At least the pride of Yorkshire, Nicola Adams, delivered
  • Options

Because that one random tweeter speaks for all "Corbyn supporters".
  • Options

Bugger.

At least the pride of Yorkshire, Nicola Adams, delivered
    Got a very lucky decision. It was realistically 2-2 on rounds.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited August 2016

In other news, suggestions Labour are going to have to expel 1000s for Antisemitism.
    Well I was accused of being a Zionist Jew/employee of Mossad when I tweeted some bad polling figures for Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Well I was accused of being a Zionist Jew/employee of Mossad when I tweeted some bad polling figures for Corbyn.
    You got the polite treatment then....good job they didn't realise you were also a Tory...
  • Options

He made a right arse of it.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Flopped.

• Options

You got the polite treatment then....good job they didn't realise you were also a Tory...
    What difference would it make? They think everyone is a Tory ...
  • Options

He made a right arse of it.
    Still kept John Looney happy though!!
  • Options

I was tempted to say I've never eaten bacon because of my parents' religion.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    SeanT said:

Alba means white or indeed *dawn*. Cognate with "aubade" - a poem of the morning
    And indeed "auburn" though the meaning of that word has shifted over time!

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=auburn
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Fair. But how many times do people pick one comment or tweet from someone who supports one side and portray it as representative of the entirety of that side? A lot. It's happening quite a bit with Corbynites, and it certainly happens in the other direction as well. The question is how fair the implication of being representative is.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016

I was called an asinine c*nt, for some barely discernible reason. Top marks for 'asinine' though, I obviously upset one of the literate ones.
  • Options
    Oh shit, the Germans have equalised. OH NO.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Germany equalise in the 56th minute!

(They hit the woodwork at least twice in the first half)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Stick to your guns Jezza! Don't be intimidated!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited August 2016
    On confirmation of the Manafort resignation, I laid Trump @ 5.1. This followed a speculative back of Pence @ 999/1, hedged against a smaller lay of ryan @ 31/1 a week or so ago.

Anyway, I've changed my mind. Trump's clearly not quitting (he's started spending proper, real money) - but I can't figure out if he's pivoting, bunkering or an odd, bespoke combination of the two. I don't want to bet on the likely success of a strategy I don't understand, so I've greened out to leave myself equal p/l on all outcomes.

Is anyone taking a strong view against the betfair market?
  • Options
    Pong said:

On confirmation of the Manafort resignation, I laid Trump @ 5.1. This followed a speculative back of Pence @ 999/1, hedged against a smaller lay of ryan @ 31/1 a week or so ago.

Anyway, I've changed my mind. Trump's clearly not quitting (he's started spending proper, real money) - but I can't figure out if he's pivoting, bunkering or a bespoke combination of the two. I don't want to bet on the likely success of a strategy I don't understand, so I've greened out to leave myself equal p/l on all outcomes.

I've written the morning thread on that market, but I'm too tired to explain myself now.
  • Options

Flopped.

He made a big splash.
  • Options
    Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel to host a $33,500 a head Hollywood luncheon for Hillary after Leonardo Di Caprio had to drop out due to filming commitments
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/justin-timberlake-host-clinton-fundraiser-leo-dicaprio-article-1.2759149
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Equaling our golds in 2012 is no longer possible, but if Mo can get a medal that is 65 even if we get nothing in Taekwando.
    X Country Cycling outside chance of a medal too
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    IanB2 said:

Out of interest latest research (partly involving DNA analysis) suggests the long-believed view that Celtic (aka Welsh) was spoken across Britain before the angles and Saxons arrived is wrong, and that earlier waves of Germanic settlers preceded the As&Ss. This would explain the mystery of why there are almost no Celtic place names in England, aside from the odd river.
    If the research you are speaking of was that which was (badly) covered in the papers a few months back, then I think the reporters misrepresented it.

However, my favorite (tho not widely accepted) placename origins are "Asu" (where the sun rises) and "Ereb" (where the sun sets). Which in later years became "Asia" and "Europe"... :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

He successfully auditioned for the next series of I'm a Celebrity
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel to host a $33,500 a head Hollywood luncheon for Hillary after Leonardo Di Caprio had to drop out due to filming commitments
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/justin-timberlake-host-clinton-fundraiser-leo-dicaprio-article-1.2759149

"This is an impressive crowd. The haves and the have mores. Some people call you the elite. I call you my base!"
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Danny565 said:

Whats Khan doing eating Motza and wearing a jewish head gear (kipper, it's called and has nothing to do with UKIP). The photo must have taken place at Passover - that was late april this year.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Under Corbyn they wont.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

"This is an impressive crowd. The haves and the have mores. Some people call you the elite. I call you my base!"
    It is certainly the most expensive lunch I have ever seen! Although as you point out Dubya did exactly the same. If I were Trump I would have a $1 a head BBQ on the same day in Ohio hosted by Jon Voight or Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

Will there be violent Trump protestors outside?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/08/20/leftist-activists-crash-trump-fundraiser-attack-motorcade-assault-trump-supporters-in-violent-gauntlet/
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

He successfully auditioned for the next series of I'm a Celebrity
    Brand Daley is like a mini Brand Beckham now regardless of his results, he and Dustin Lance Black already have a joint net worth of almost $10 million, his angst is also ideally made for reality TV
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

X Country Cycling outside chance of a medal too
    In fact Grant Ferguson won bronze at the World Championships in Andorra.
  • Options
    Auto-correct can be a right bugger...

Belgium striker Christian Benteke has apologised for changing his Twitter bio to say he had signed for Burnley instead of Crystal Palace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/20/christian-benteke-apologises-for-twitter-gaffe-saying-he-had-sig/
  • Options

Auto-correct can be a right bugger...

Belgium striker Christian Benteke has apologised for changing his Twitter bio to say he had signed for Burnley instead of Crystal Palace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/20/christian-benteke-apologises-for-twitter-gaffe-saying-he-had-sig/

David Cameron can comfort him. It's easily done.
  • Options
    Croatian in the water polo rejoices in the name of Crap-itch.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited August 2016

Pong said:

Anyway, I've changed my mind. Trump's clearly not quitting (he's started spending proper, real money) - but I can't figure out if he's pivoting, bunkering or a bespoke combination of the two. I don't want to bet on the likely success of a strategy I don't understand, so I've greened out to leave myself equal p/l on all outcomes.

I've written the morning thread on that market, but I'm too tired to explain myself now.
    Look forward to reading it.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I was called an asinine c*nt, for some barely discernible reason. Top marks for 'asinine' though, I obviously upset one of the literate ones.
    They should be easy to track down then.
  • Options
    Labour's attempt to avoid disaster at the next GE by making an appeal through its house magazine is doomed to failure.
    Who actually reads The Observer these days anyway?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Albion was Posedion's favourite son and he have him the fairest among all his islands to rule.

TM H.E.Marshall
  • Options
    If China somehow manages to grab second place, it will be by that Taekwondo final second loss.

If GB somehow manages to keep second place, it will be by that Rose hole in one.
  • Options

If China somehow manages to grab second place, it will be by that Taekwondo final second loss.

If GB somehow manages to keep second place, it will be by that Rose hole in one.

Or the unexpected hockey gold
This discussion has been closed.