Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember the last LAB leader to put his faith in rallies

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember the last LAB leader to put his faith in rallies

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    First!
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Second, like Don't Know.
  • 3rd like China...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
    Third, like China.
  • Third, like China.

Too slow....Like the Ethiopians in the 5k...

Third, like China.

FrancisUrquhart DQ.... For reasons as yet unfathomable.
  • Third, like China.

But then reinstated for equally unfathomable reasons....
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Third, like China.

Because MarqueeMark isn't Brasil.

Third, like China.

Until the drugs tests at least.....
    Oi, Kinnock - how goes the project to grind the Tories into the dust?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2016

Third, like China.

Until the drugs tests at least.....
    How dare you....how very dare you....my 3x the normal level testosterone is natural and against my human rights to force me to post while taking testosterone reduction medication.

Besides I am going to get the coach to pee in the cup for me, lets hope he isn't as juiced as Alberto Salazar with testosterone cream.
  • Absolute gold by Mike
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Is this the former leader who thinks he is now an expert on electability
  • Oi, Kinnock - how goes the project to grind the Tories into the dust?

As well as Carthage planning to teach Rome a lesson by laying a siege at Saguntum and thus beginning the second Punic war
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    I get being really pumped up by all the confident energy in that hall, but his attitude in that speech sure doesn't accord with the news narrator's more cautious comment that Labour weren't getting carried away.

I do like taking political speeches which, by their nature, state or imply only one party believes in freedom and fairness and the like, and that's what the people want, and then turning it around when we know that side loses. I guess the British people don't want freedom and fairness then, Lord Kinnock.

As well as Carthage planning to teach Rome a lesson by laying a siege at Saguntum and thus beginning the second Punic war
    Hey, it worked for almost ten years or so. Sort of.
  • kle4 said:

Hey, it worked for almost ten years or so. Sort of.
    A couple of hollow victories here and there.

No point winning a few pointless battles here and there, you need to win the war.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    We should've won that Gold in the boxing. Even Stevie Wonder could see the Brit won ffs.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Kinnock was the man who brought the Labour party back from the wilderness, and the political father of New Labour.

Sure, the Sheffield rally was premature and full of hubris, but Kinnock was the leader who made the prospect of being in government possible once more.

This autumn's conference needs a speech like this one:

https://youtu.be/bWLN7rIby9s
  • Corbyn will win, of course. But it's not been a great campaign for him. His limitations have been exposed and parameters for judging him have been established. He's lost a batch of media cheerleaders, others have had serious wobbles. The rallies thing has become a weakness, as everyone with half a brain can now see he is only capable of operating in a comfort zone and is totally unwilling to engage with non-believers. The activities of Momentum have come under the spotlight, the booing of Smith at hustings - which Corbyn has refused to condemn and failed to stop - has been widely criticised. Most important of all, Corbyn does not have guaranteed command of the NEC and has lost important union goodwill, while his desire to pull the UK out of NATO has given MPs the perfect cover not to serve under him. I think he's finished, frankly. Sadly, it'll cost Labour what would have been an eminently winnable election, but Jeremy is not going to get to transform Labour in the way he hoped and expected to.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    We're ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLRIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTT
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Momentum's true colours emerge even more clearly:

"So firstly it is not a matter of being in favour of violence, just facing the fact that violence is an unavoidable feature of everyday life, and – in particular – of political life. It is an issue for the left to face, and to answer. Either we agree to be pacifists – ruling out, in advance, all violence (from the right of a woman to forcibly stop a sexual assault, to the right of an oppressed group to stop their persecution through their own activity) – or we accept the possibility of using violence."

http://www.workersliberty.org/node/26956

Kinnock was the man who brought the Labour party back from the wilderness, and the political father of New Labour.

Sure, the Sheffield rally was premature and full of hubris, but Kinnock was the leader who made the prospect of being in government possible once more.

He was a loser for Labour

Who now thinks he knows everything there is to know about Labour electoral success

htps://youtu.be/bWLN7rIby9s
    He gave one like it to the PLP a few months ago, and sounded even angrier than he did in 1985. Problem was it shows how emotionally committed he and the others are to the Labour brand, and thus how so many of them will, if they lose again, go quiet until a new opportunity (probably 2020), because they could not bear to be seen to be harming it by going on so openly.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
  • Is this the former leader who thinks he is now an expert on electability

Who now thinks he knows everything there is to know about Labour electoral success
    So you're going to start listening to Labour leaders that win elections?

I believe there's only one man alive who has won general elections for Labour, three general elections in fact.

What does success look like in Jezza world?

What is Corbyn's plan for government and how will he gain the 100 seats needed to form that government?

I believe there's only one man alive who has won general elections for Labour, three general elections in fact.
    Toxic Tony is not a vote winner now though, In fact quite the opposite.

In fact maybe Labours best hope of winning would be if TT told voters to vote Tory
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Blair's first term was all fine and dandy. Howard could have done winning in 2005, on balance.

92 - 01 & 10 - 15 were very well governed periods. 01 - 10, not so much.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    After spending a weekend agonising over my impending move, I signed the paperwork. Handing in my notice tomorrow! Zurich, here I come (six months from now!).
  • JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    To be fair there are only two men alive who have won elections for the Tories, neither of which manage more than two, and one of whom is likely to go down as one of the worst Prime Ministers of the last century.
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

After spending a weekend agonising over my impending move, I signed the paperwork. Handing in my notice tomorrow! Zurich, here I come (six months from now!).

Congratulations Max. Smart of you to flee the howling wasteland that is Brexit Britain. Good luck :). Are you going to be lucky enough to get garden leave? Or is it nose to the grindstone until February?
    MaxPB said:

Congrats Max!
    (And Tony took a huge amount of good will and then proceeded to piss it up the wall to the tunes of millions of voters per election.)

Toxic Tony is not a vote winner now though, In fact quite the opposite.

In fact maybe Labours best hope of winning would be if TT told voters to vote Tory
    Actually, Tony Blair would probably do better than Corbyn.

Because he is the only Labour leader that many middle class southerners have ever voted for

...or are likely to.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The fact that Jeremy Corbyn has a beard proves that he is in league with the decadent pro-American bourgeois reactionaries, revisionists, long-haired hooligans and degenerate weirdoes who infest the corridors of power in Whitehall and Westmister. Not like this down-to-earth man-of-the-people, whose popularity among the masses is undiscombobulated:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jwZ37MnYbiw
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    MaxPB said:

Good, go for it!

What is Corbyn's plan for government and how will he gain the 100 seats needed to form that government?

There is not a chance of victory in 2020. The PLP has seen to that.

A united Party post reselections has a chance in 2025 under Lewis
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

MaxPB said:

Congratulations Max. Smart of you to flee the howling wasteland that is Brexit Britain. Good luck :). Are you going to be lucky enough to get garden leave? Or is it nose to the grindstone until February?
    I don't think I'm anywhere near high enough the chain to be put on gardening leave, so it will be nose to the grindstone, though I'll use all of my holiday in one chunk at the end of the period.

@Mortimer and @Richard_Nabavi , thanks! I'm a bit nervous but in a good way.
    JohnLoony said:

The fact that Jeremy Corbyn has a beard proves that he is in league with the decadent pro-American bourgeois reactionaries, revisionists, long-haired hooligans and degenerate weirdoes who infest the corridors of power in Whitehall and Westmister.

As beards are popular now (see how many are present on footballers when a few years ago I can only think of one premier league footballer who had a beard), it proves Jeremy's ideas, like his fashions, are in vogue again.

A chance of becoming the third party....
  • MaxPB said:

Good luck
    Mortimer said:

How much you staking on that?
    Mortimer said:

And Lewis is not a vote winner. Plus anyone associated with the Momentum project will not win public support as leader.

Labour has to purge itself before it becomes electable.
    MaxPB said:

That's wonderful - we need a first hand view for future swiss elections.

Corbyn will win, of course. But it's not been a great campaign for him. His limitations have been exposed and parameters for judging him have been established. He's lost a batch of media cheerleaders, others have had serious wobbles. The rallies thing has become a weakness, as everyone with half a brain can now see he is only capable of operating in a comfort zone and is totally unwilling to engage with non-believers. The activities of Momentum have come under the spotlight, the booing of Smith at hustings - which Corbyn has refused to condemn and failed to stop - has been widely criticised. Most important of all, Corbyn does not have guaranteed command of the NEC and has lost important union goodwill, while his desire to pull the UK out of NATO has given MPs the perfect cover not to serve under him. I think he's finished, frankly. Sadly, it'll cost Labour what would have been an eminently winnable election, but Jeremy is not going to get to transform Labour in the way he hoped and expected to.

Hi, so what going on in the local CLP's do u feel like the members are in the mood for revenge, could we see repercussions in terms of candidate selections for local elections?

This question for all Labour party members.

Mortimer said:

How much you staking on that?
    Depends on what odds you'll give....

:)

nunu said:

Corbyn will win, of course. But it's not been a great campaign for him. His limitations have been exposed and parameters for judging him have been established. He's lost a batch of media cheerleaders, others have had serious wobbles. The rallies thing has become a weakness, as everyone with half a brain can now see he is only capable of operating in a comfort zone and is totally unwilling to engage with non-believers. The activities of Momentum have come under the spotlight, the booing of Smith at hustings - which Corbyn has refused to condemn and failed to stop - has been widely criticised. Most important of all, Corbyn does not have guaranteed command of the NEC and has lost important union goodwill, while his desire to pull the UK out of NATO has given MPs the perfect cover not to serve under him. I think he's finished, frankly. Sadly, it'll cost Labour what would have been an eminently winnable election, but Jeremy is not going to get to transform Labour in the way he hoped and expected to.

Hi, so what going on in the local CLP's do u feel like the members are in the mood for revenge, could we see repercussions in terms of candidate selections for local elections?

Depends what PLP does when Jezza wins.

If they carry on the hostility then CLPs will start with re selection of the main culprits IMO
  • Is this the former leader who thinks he is now an expert on electability

There will not be mass deselections. Can't happen without a rule change and Corbyn does not have the NEC votes. And now he's alienated several unions, such as the GMB, his scope for getting any major changes through is extremely limited. The NATO stuff is terrible for him.

• MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    So Maryland ended the Olympics level with Russia - on 19 Golds.

Population, a tad under 6 million.
  • nunu said:

I would not confuse booers at rallies and Twitter warriors with average Labour members. In any case, deselections without conference-approved rule changes is all but impossible. And conference is not even getting a vote on that until 2018 at the esrliest, though even that timeline is very doubtful given Corbyn does not have guaranteed control of the NEC.

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think I'm anywhere near high enough the chain to be put on gardening leave, so it will be nose to the grindstone, though I'll use all of my holiday in one chunk at the end of the period.

Congratulations!

Fox jr has also been offered a job in mainland Europe. He wants to take advantage of freedom of movement while it still exists. At least with Ryanair it is possible to visit easily enough, and the salary is 15% up on what was the Sterling conversion was in June.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited August 2016

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

Congratulations!

Fox jr has also been offered a job in mainland Europe. He wants to take advantage of freedom of movement while it still exists. At least with Ryanair it is possible to visit easily enough, and the salary is 15% up on what was the Sterling conversion was in June.
    If the job is skilled, lack of freedom of movement wouldn't be much of a barrier. Also changes in sterling may feel nice for expats, but it doesn't do anything about the local cost of living which is a shame. Good if you are saving/investing in sterling-based funds though.
  • scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    The real point is that the anti-Corbyn forces are just as unelectable as he is and not half as priincipled.
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

Congratulations!

If the job is skilled, lack of freedom of movement wouldn't be much of a barrier. Also changes in sterling may feel nice for expats, but it doesn't do anything about the local cost of living which is a shame. Good if you are saving/investing in sterling-based funds though.
    We do not know what barriers to movement will be, but certainly it will not be easier than at present.
    scotslass said:

The real point is that the anti-Corbyn forces are just as unelectable as he is and not half as priincipled.

Quite. I can't imagine shire Tories flocking to Owen Smith's banner. I find him more unpleasant than Corbyn.
    scotslass said:

And so are Corbyn's fellow travellers.

Thornberry. Abbott. Cat Smith. All equally awful - though in differing ways.

I don't believe that Corbyn is truly principled. He is a follower not a leader. He sticks to positions long after anyone with common sense would have ditched them in the light of real world evidence.

Makes him blinkered not principled.
    edited August 2016
    MTimT said:

So Maryland ended the Olympics level with Russia - on 19 Golds.

Population, a tad under 6 million.

Hopefully without the state sponsored doping to boot ;-)
    Mortimer said:

Not in 2020, but for 2025 3rd would be a good showing by a Purged Corbynite Labour.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

Wishing you all the best in the new venture, Mr Max. I am sure you will not need good luck, as when opportunity comes knocking it is always best to take it. Life is more fun that way and one has fewer regrets when it's time to look back.

If you are not going to be put on leave then working out a six month notice period is going to feel like purgatory. You'll need to be strong and stay loyal to your present masters for the sake of your own self respect, but I doubt you'll find it easy. I didn't when I was, twice, in that position.

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

Congratulations!

We do not know what barriers to movement will be, but certainly it will not be easier than at present.
    If the job is highly skilled, I doubt there would be any difficulty in getting a visa. Of course, you don't have to get a visa now, but that requirement is a natural consequence of leaving the EU.
    'Corbyn does not have the NEC votes' - Not quite sure how you've figured that out.
    Some deselections will definitely be happening if some MPs keep undermining the party.
    edited August 2016

nunu said:

I would not confuse booers at rallies and Twitter warriors with average Labour members. In any case, deselections without conference-approved rule changes is all but impossible. And conference is not even getting a vote on that until 2018 at the esrliest, though even that timeline is very doubtful given Corbyn does not have guaranteed control of the NEC.

Most members now since the Corbyn surge in Sept 2015 will be to the left of what the party was before, although obviously you shouldn't equate that with Twitter warriors. Given this is the case (eventhough there won't be deselections any time soon) do you think in seats where candidates are standing down or are winnable in 2017 and 2018 locals the avreage member will select many more momentum types.

As an aside I heard the Hornsey and Wood Green Party are the biggest CLP, maybe the anti-semitism row hasn't damaged them that much with the public althogh it does contain many middle class liberal types that would be expected to be attracted to the New Old Labour party. Labour are so middle class now.

nunu said:

Depends what PLP does when Jezza wins.

If they carry on the hostility then CLPs will start with re selection of the main culprits IMO
    thanx. Tho I meant for local elctions coming up in 2017, 2018 and 2019(?) where there are winnable seats or candidates standing down .
    edited August 2016
    Three OCI officials have passports seized by police

Three Olympic Council of Ireland officials, including one from Northern Ireland, have had their passports, phones and laptops seized by Brazilian police as part of the investigation into alleged illegal ticket sales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37149800
    edited August 2016
    Jeremy Corbyn has said he would look to bolster the bargaining powers of trade unions if he wins the leadership vote.

As part of Mr Corbyn's reform plans, he said he would include mandatory collective bargaining in firms with more than 250 employees, the election of staff representatives to executive remuneration committees, and the introduction of "sectoral union bargaining rights".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37150553

Back to the 1970s here we come...

Jeremy Corbyn has said he would look to bolster the bargaining powers of trade unions if he wins the leadership vote.

As part of Mr Corbyn's reform plans, he said he would include mandatory collective bargaining in firms with more than 250 employees, the election of staff representatives to executive remuneration committees, and the introduction of "sectoral union bargaining rights".

He can look to bolster whatever he likes - won't help him get popular support and thus power.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

Congratulations!

There will still be some freedom of movement, though most probably with controls built in and in return we will get some single market access and a free trade deal which is what the public want
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Red Robbo is still alive....
    If anyone resembles Kinnock in this leadership race it is Smith not Corbyn
    Olympics Closing Ceremony now started with some dancing, a crooner singing a 'classic' Brazilian song and schoolchildren lit up in white singing the Brazilian national anthem
  • 1992 - Kinnock: "We're aaaaallllright!"

2016 - Corbyn: "We're aaaaallll LEFT!"
  • MaxPB said:

All the best - hope everything goes smoothly!
  • nunu said:

Isn't selection inevitable though because of boundary changes? So they doesn't need to change any rules, just wait until the boundaries change and then oust anyone they don't like under the new boundaries.

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

Congratulations!

We emigrated to Spain in the 1960s, and it was easy. Freedom of movement was exactly as it is now except you had to show a passport and go through passport control at the airport. No difference really.
  • HYUFD said:

Olympics Closing Ceremony now started with some dancing, a crooner singing a 'classic' Brazilian song and schoolchildren lit up in white singing the Brazilian national anthem

And here come the athletes...

HYUFD said:

True to form NBC are showing recorded swimming, and will show the closing ceremony on tape delay.

HYUFD said:

Not doing much other than smiling in rainmacs, with a few dancers with umbrellas in the background, off to bed I think
  • scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    SKY NEWS excelled themselves tonight in the paper revue with Susie who denounced Lyndsay Sharpe for her lack of political correctness about the testorone fuelled South African and Iain Martin looking sadly debauched but still perculating the same tired old rubbish he has spouted for years. Why are they incapable of getting one semi normal and half interesting to review the papers?

However they both agreed to attack Corbyn!!
    Back in April, 11 youngsters tried to kill themselves over the course of one weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37135507
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

1992 - Kinnock: "We're aaaaallllright!"

2016 - Corbyn: "We're aaaaallll LEFT!"

2020 - Corbyn: "There's nobody left but me."
  • I see the closing ceremony of the Omnishambles games was well attended....nah who am I trying to kid...half empty stadium again.

I see the closing ceremony of the Omnishambles games was well attended....nah who am I trying to kid...half empty stadium again.

and they didn't have the sense to move people from the back rows down to the front so that it appeared fuller.

A massive shame.
    edited August 2016

I see the closing ceremony of the Omnishambles games was well attended....nah who am I trying to kid...half empty stadium again.

and they didn't have the sense to move people from the back rows down to the front so that it appeared fuller.

A massive shame.
    More of a clusterf##k than the security arrangements for the Labour Party conference...

Also todays f##k ups included mis-measuring the marathon course.
  • Shinzo Abe as Super Mario!!!

Shinzo Abe as Super Mario!!!

What a time to be alive!
    RobD said:

Shinzo Abe as Super Mario!!!

What a time to be alive!
    The Tokyo section showed quite how poor the Rio opening ceremony was. The closing has been better because it was less preachy and had some energy. But they still didn't get the sound right for the broadcast - no point in telling us about the music if we can't actually hear it!
  • ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    Knowing Japan they are probably going to be broadcasting the games in virtual reality, expect the most tech heavy games possible.
    Thrak said:

Knowing Japan they are probably going to be broadcasting the games in virtual reality, expect the most tech heavy games possible.

The oculus games!
    the new games the Japanese mentioned baseball and surfing are ones Japan are good at but America should get gold medals. Also judo obs Japan are good at that but is popular in Framce also I don't think we are good at any of those but then again we did really well in the pj kicking and had no idea we were good at that even though my brother used to play it.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    nunu said:
    That piece claims Trump is ahead of Hillary in the latest Pensylvania polls. That's now what RCP says: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/pa/pennsylvania_trump_vs_clinton-5633.html

On the contrary, the last four polls have Clinton with double digit leads there.

(Oh wait, that piece is a month old.)
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Thrak said:

They'll still be transmitting the results to the world media by fax though
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,086
    nunu said:

the new games the Japanese mentioned baseball and surfing are ones Japan are good at but America should get gold medals. Also judo obs Japan are good at that but is popular in Framce also I don't think we are good at any of those but then again we did really well in the pj kicking and had no idea we were good at that even though my brother used to play it.

Are they dropping any sports? Or is the games getting yet more unwieldy and expensive?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,086
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Most members now since the Corbyn surge in Sept 2015 will be to the left of what the party was before, although obviously you shouldn't equate that with Twitter warriors. Given this is the case (eventhough there won't be deselections any time soon) do you think in seats where candidates are standing down or are winnable in 2017 and 2018 locals the avreage member will select many more momentum types.

As an aside I heard the Hornsey and Wood Green Party are the biggest CLP, maybe the anti-semitism row hasn't damaged them that much with the public althogh it does contain many middle class liberal types that would be expected to be attracted to the New Old Labour party. Labour are so middle class now.
    I believe in H & WG every tenth resident is now a Lab member
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Are they dropping any sports? Or is the games getting yet more unwieldy and expensive?
    Isn’t baseball there already? And judo certainly was at one time, at any rate.
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Golly, SkyNews Geraint not impressed by Rio. Said he'd been at 5, and this was as badly organised as Montreal. Worst he'd experienced and termed it as 'interesting'
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    nunu said:

Judo is already in the Olympics. You didn't see any coverage because the BBC don't show sports that don't have Britons in (though in fact we won a bronze in the Judo - Sally Conway, 70kg class).
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    For Fraser Nelson, and others:

Although it was reported at the time as an unpalatably harsh stance, the prime minister displayed her acuity as a negotiator by declining to assure European citizens already residing in the United Kingdom that they would be able to stay after the United Kingdom formally leaves the EU. She, unlike her rivals for the Conservative leadership, realized that this is a key negotiating point that should be yielded only in return for an equal or similar concession, possibly on an aspect of the free movement of people within the EU. It is unfortunate that some talented Europeans will have this sword of Damocles hanging over them, but most will realize that this, like so many policies, will have to be negotiated in this new, post-referendum world.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-kingdom/2016-08-19/mays-brexit-plan
This discussion has been closed.