Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Unite has grown too big for its own good

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited July 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Unite has grown too big for its own good

The extraordinary row that has blown up over the selection for Labour’s nomination in Falkirk at the next General Election is a natural and inevitable consequence of the empire building within the union sector. There is nothing inherently wrong with unions seeking to influence Labour party selections.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    A superb Matt cartoon in today's Daily Telegraph :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Surely it cannot be long until EdM calls Len McCluskey, "Brother".
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Many organisations grow too big for their own good. The South Sea Company, the BBC, ICI, Enron, Lehman Brothers, General Motors, the Grand National Consolidated Trades Union, the Roman Empire, the European Union, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, the list is endless.

The birth, growth, heyday, over-expansion, decay and collapse of organisations is one of the strongest defining patterns in the span of human history. Nothing lasts forever.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Certain newspapers expressing concern about alleged breaches of the data protection act is like Herod decrying infanticide.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    "There is nothing inherently wrong with unions seeking to influence Labour party selections."

Is this right? Why not change it to: "There is nothing inherently wrong with Sainsbury's / Tesco's / Alliance Boots / JCB / Laing / RSPCA seeking to influence Labour party selections."

If Unions can do it, so should private companies and organisations.

This whole situation is a mess and reform is needed.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Many organisations grow too big for their own good. The South Sea Company, the BBC, ICI, Enron, Lehman Brothers, General Motors, the Grand National Consolidated Trades Union, the Roman Empire, the European Union, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, the list is endless.

The birth, growth, heyday, over-expansion, decay and collapse of organisations is one of the strongest defining patterns in the span of human history. Nothing lasts forever.

Odd point. Nothing lasts for ever. But these organisations you quote generally outlast individuals or small organisations.

Who can fault the Roman Empire for longevity FFS? .
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Unison, like all bullies, has fascistic tendencies:

I'm hoping the story below is not true, but it looks like it's spot on:

@patcondell
    Union fascist threatens career of #Ukip candidate’s wife if he stands for election.
    http://nopenothope.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/hnhs-unison-funders-threaten-ukip.html … #hopenothate
  • Options
    Has William Hill just accepted another £200,000 bet at one of its Scottish shops? They must have taken in another huge 'No' bet(s) because they have just lengthened their 'Yes' price from 4/1 to 5/1. This is a great price and I'm on. Anybody who thinks that they can predict the outcome of next September's referendum this far out is deluding themselves.

The best current 'No' price is 2/9 (Bet365 and Stan James). I'm banking on that being significantly longer come next summer.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole
    @georgeeaton: Watson and McCluskey tried to get Douglas Alexander deselected http://bit.ly/17SXS0c
  • Options
    @Mr_Eugenides
    "Ed didn't choose this battle. But you can be absolutely certain that, now it has started, Ed will win." > Can't. Breathe. For. Laughing.
  • Options
    @hopisen
    Dear Ed, forget Buddha. Remember Yoda. Do or not do. Explore there is not.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Simple solution would be a merger between Unite , PCS and Labour into one massive public sector pressure group.

Join the political and paramilitary wings and then no complaints about agendas or pretence that it represents all voters.
  • Options
    tim said:

I think the SNP may have become too big in 2011 as well.

The Scottish National Party is a highly unusual organisation in that its entire purpose is to make itself redundant. It is not really a political party in the normal sense, but rather a broad human rights movement.

Once its goal is achieved, Scottish independence, the organisation will lose its energy and focus and decline and peter out.

A comparison might be Oxfam for example. They would like nothing more than for world poverty to cease to exist. And of course it will one day. And then we will have no Oxfam either. However, their time frame is looking like being vastly longer than the SNP's.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Simple solution would be a merger between Unite , PCS and Labour into one massive public sector pressure group.

Join the political and paramilitary wings and then no complaints about agendas or pretence that it represents all voters.

About one in eight Unite members are in the public sector.

How many even know they are in the union or are "members" of the Labour party ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,986
    Unite's membership arrangements puzzle me. I was, when working, a member of one of the organisations which "united" to form Unite. When I retired a stayed a member for a year or so, paying a small annual sub because I thought there might be some benefits. For example I got some some free legal advice. Also I did a bit of part-time work and membership of the original association gave me some useful information. However, when I stopped altogther I gave up paying any sort of subscription. That was around 5 years ago.
    However, I still get communications, both postal and email, addressed to me as a member.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @tim

This story which you claimed a couple of days ago to be "overblown" seems to be gathering speed at a considerable rate. Ed seems to be trying to put out a forest fire with a watering can.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

I'd imagine their knowledge is greater than a PB Tory on a thread about the unions will muster, as you've just usefully demonstrated.
    Well your anecdotes aside - my point is why bother being separate - they share office space and the same left wing agenda - one single body would lance the Con attacks that rEd dances to Len's tune - after merger rEd would be Len's boss.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

I'd imagine their knowledge is greater than a PB Tory on a thread about the unions will muster, as you've just usefully demonstrated.
    Well your anecdotes aside - my point is why bother being separate - they share office space and the same left wing agenda - one single body would lance the Con attacks that rEd dances to Len's tune - after merger rEd would be Len's boss.

Given what is currently taking place, no sentient human being could possibly claim Ed is dancing to Len's tune.

• Options

... However, when I stopped altogther I gave up paying any sort of subscription. That was around 5 years ago.
    However, I still get communications, both postal and email, addressed to me as a member.

That doesn't surprise me.

In its endless efforts to deceive the general public the Scottish Labour Party tries to pretend that 7000 members of various social clubs (mostly in Ayrshire, Lothian and Fife) are "members" of the Labour Party.

http://caledonianmercury.com/2010/09/29/the-scottish-labour-party-and-its-mysterious-expanding-membership/0010959

I used to get "member" mailings from the RSPB for years after I left the organisation. That's another bunch of chancers by the way.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

Given what is currently taking place, no sentient human being could possibly claim Ed is dancing to Len's tune.

I don't think anyone has but if the police get involved it could get very messy.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited July 2013
    DH. Good article, mirrors my own experiences with the Unions, as a shop steward.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,986

... However, when I stopped altogther I gave up paying any sort of subscription. That was around 5 years ago.

That doesn't surprise me.

In its endless efforts to deceive the general public the Scottish Labour Party tries to pretend that 7000 members of various social clubs (mostly in Ayrshire, Lothian and Fife) are "members" of the Labour Party.

http://caledonianmercury.com/2010/09/29/the-scottish-labour-party-and-its-mysterious-expanding-membership/0010959

I used to get "member" mailings from the RSPB for years after I left the organisation. That's another bunch of chancers by the way.
    Doesn't that also apply to Conservative (drinking) clubs, and was indeed to original reason for their existence?
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

If you're looking for mergers how about UKIP and the Tories

Survation/Daily Mirror/ITV latest poll: Lab 36%(nc) Con 23%(-2) UKIP 22%(+2) LibDem 10%(nc) http://survation.com/2013/07/latest-voting-intention-results-tories-fall-to-record-low-in-polling-results-as-support-for-ukip-remains-strong/ … Record low for tories

Together they'd poll what Thatcher got and Lynton Crosby would be helping the side that paid him.
    I agree - they should. However one doesn't give the other millions of pounds.

I see you dont have anything major against the formalising of the Unite-Labour merger.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

It's sad that someone who is obviously intelligent debases himself by using phrases like "no sentient human being could possibly claim ..." with something that is perfectly claimable.

It's almost as if you're not sure yourself.

Besides, it is the wrong statement. There is a battle going on for Labour's soul and future direction. That is why Unite wants as many MPs who owe them a favour as possible, so they will dance to Unite's tune in the future. Unite will be happy if Ed travels with them, if not then he will be seen as the enemy.

That is a problem for both the Labour party and more generally democracy.
  • Options
    The best thing that could happen to both Labour and the unions is for all formal links to go. I had hoped the coalition would legislate them away, but clearly that is not going to happen - the Tories like things just as they are. But if Len's actions lead to a fundamental internal re-evaluation, that would be even better.

That may be a step too far right now, but it's encouraging that such things are now being contemplated. The unions will always have a vital role to play in Labour, but the party needs to be much broader. Cut the formal links and it will encourage more people to get involved, as well as more donations. That will lead to a wider talent pool and more creative thinking about how to address this country's deep-seated, long-standing challenges, as well as the ones that have emerged since the crash.

Labour is currently too in hoc to its history. It is too 20th century. It's time to change.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

It's sad that someone who is obviously intelligent debases himself by using phrases like "no sentient human being could possibly claim ..." with something that is perfectly claimable.

Besides, it is the wrong statement. There is a battle going on for Labour's soul and future direction. That is why Unite wants as many MPs who owe them a favour as possible, so they will dance to Unite's tune in the future. Unite will be happy if Ed travels with them, if not then he will be seen as the enemy.

That's quite a claim from someone who was posting about other posters jeezing the other day!

But tell me this: if Ed is dancing to Len's tune, why are they currently engaged in a very public dispute and why has Len been so vociferous in attacking Labour policy? Unions have always had sponsored MPs. How many of those currently sponsored by Unite have come out in favour of what Len is saying? And during the last Labour government how did union-sponsored MPs act to repeal the Tory union laws that the union leaders hate so much?

• Options

The best thing that could happen to both Labour and the unions is for all formal links to go. I had hoped the coalition would legislate them away, but clearly that is not going to happen - the Tories like things just as they are. But if Len's actions lead to a fundamental internal re-evaluation, that would be even better.

That may be a step too far right now, but it's encouraging that such things are now being contemplated. The unions will always have a vital role to play in Labour, but the party needs to be much broader. Cut the formal links and it will encourage more people to get involved, as well as more donations. That will lead to a wider talent pool and more creative thinking about how to address this country's deep-seated, long-standing challenges, as well as the ones that have emerged since the crash.

Labour is currently too in hoc to its history. It is too 20th century. It's time to change.

I agree that the links between Labour and the Unions need to be weakened, as I have said in the past. The unions often do good work, and the muck spread by scandals like Falkirk muddy their name. Removing the links with Labour might even increase membership.

But you are blaming the lack of action on the Tories. Two questions:
    1) Did the Lib Dems propose this at all during this coalition, and would they have supported it?
    2) Would it have been a wise battle for the coalition to take on?

Then there are all the problems relating to party funding ...
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

I think this thread will surprise you.

The key word is sentient!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Before Ed ditches the Unions his Bank Manager needs to talk to him ..urgently
  • Options
    I cannot understand their reluctance to publish the review into the problems in Falkirk. What do they wish to hide?
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621

Then there are all the problems relating to party funding ...

Of course, and one technique for Labour would be to encourage the baby eaters to legislate the formal links away.
  • Options
    scampi said:

I cannot understand their reluctance to publish the review into the problems in Falkirk. What do they wish to hide?

Testimony was taken in confidence. To publish the findings would be to breach that confidence.

• Options

Doesn't that also apply to Conservative (drinking) clubs, and was indeed to original reason for their existence?

Does the Conservative Party still count members of drinking clubs as members of the party? Seems a bit antediluvian.

I've just found this wonderful old description of the (now defunct) Scottish Conservative Club on Princes Street in Edinburgh:

"... Its country connections are very widespread, and the influence of the club is, so far as Scotland is concerned, national rather than local. Edinburgh has been for years out of harmony with Conservative principles: "advanced Liberals" hold possession, but we are told that the Conservative party, by means of the club, are working hard to recover lost ground...."

http://www.victorianweb.org/art/architecture/clubs/18.html
  • Options
    Scampi..Lots.
  • Options
    The problem for Labour is that there are rumours, as yet unconfirmed, that members of UNITE went a little further than enthusiastically endorsing Ed. If there is substance to these rumours, then Ed's legitimacy as Leader is questionable, to say the least. Is it time to hedge bets on an outright Labour victory in 2015?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    edited July 2013
    The underlying problem remains the funding of politics. Direct donations from mass membership are no longer viable for any party - the membership is smaller than in the past and it's not in general inclined to fork out large sums. When individuals do, they are always regarded with suspicion rather than as benefactors of democracy (there are a few people in each party who could fund them for several years single-handedly, but understandably choose not to). On average, Labour members are probably less well off, too.

The unions offer a solution for Labour up to a point, and for historical reasons a natural one. But the decline of partisan identification has led to union leaders being challenged by members asking what they're getting for their money - "Sometimes you'll get a Labour government which we hope will do good things" is seen as inadequate. McCluskey's recent election opponent accused him of being all too willing to cough up without the party becoming more helpful on policy in return. So the temptation to seek value is strong, and I think the main need now is a code of conduct that defines the limits of that - advice and criticism, why not, overt pressure and manipulation no.

It's not, by the way, primarily about selection of MPs because unless there is a mass membership drive as was tried in Falkirk, unions can only influence nominations, which rarely affect the outcome. Members are told that branches X, Y, Z and unions A, B, C nominated Jane while others nominated Joe, but will generally think so-what (as with the names of 10 upright citzens who are listed at polling stations as nominating you in General Elections) and go by their personal impressions of the candidates. It's only really useful to have a union nomination if you have zero nominations from the voting members in branches - but if so you're losing anyway because they're the only ones who decide the selection. IIRC David Herdson and I both supported Obama over Romney, but that's probably not why he won.
  • Options

I agree that the links between Labour and the Unions need to be weakened, as I have said in the past. The unions often do good work, and the muck spread by scandals like Falkirk muddy their name. Removing the links with Labour might even increase membership.

1) Did the Lib Dems propose this at all during this coalition, and would they have supported it?

Then there are all the problems relating to party funding ..

The LDs and the Tories have spoken out vociferously and consistently against the way the unions fund Labour. There'd be no battle - they have the numbers to pass the legislation. But it suits them not to. As you say, there are problems relating to party funding generally.

• Options

scampi said:

Testimony was taken in confidence. To publish the findings would be to breach that confidence.

In the modern age this seems seems a rather old-fashioned and secretive approach. With such an important issue it sounds like an excuse. They could block out names or even risk being sued if it would indeed be illegal into publish.
  • Options

Is it time to hedge bets on an outright Labour victory in 2015?

You can get 4/1 on CON MAJ (with Stan James), or 13/8 on NOM (with Ladbrokes).

Personally, I think that NOM is too short, but things are going so badly for all 3 of the big English parties that it is very hard to spot a winner in there. However, somebody is likely to get a MAJ, if only because the contingent of LD MPs is likely to be halved, or worse.

• Options

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

That's quite a claim from someone who was posting about other posters jeezing the other day!

But tell me this: if Ed is dancing to Len's tune, why are they currently engaged in a very public dispute and why has Len been so vociferous in attacking Labour policy? Unions have always had sponsored MPs. How many of those currently sponsored by Unite have come out in favour of what Len is saying? And during the last Labour government how did union-sponsored MPs act to repeal the Tory union laws that the union leaders hate so much?
    It's an accurate claim. Besides, I was just using the same language that the poster him/her self has used in the past.

As for your substantive point: when this story started accelerating a few days ago, someone on here claimed that it was essentially a non-story, and it was the usual Labour <-> union argument that happens at this stage of every parliament, to both their advantages.

Now that appears to be incorrect, but it is easy to see how it may have started as that sort of thing and got out of hand when people realised that possible illegality had occurred.

I personally don't believe that, but it is an arguable point.

And then there are the wider questions about influence. Some people tried to make something out of the fact the PM travelled on a foreign trip with JCB's MD a few months ago, when the MD is a Conservative funder. Magnify that by several orders of magnitude and you have the current Labour <-> union situation.

People on the left ask why individuals fund the Conservatives if they do not get any influence. The same question should be asked of the unions: what do they get by funding the Labour party and even sponsoring individual MPs?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898

scampi said:

But the testimony was partial and untested. If I confidentially say it was all so and so's fault and don't give so and so the opportunity to comment, or even let see the allegation, its not much use.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

@Scampi

David Camerons decision not to hand over to the police the CCTV of Plebgate.

What had he got to hide?

LINK PLEASE
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

@Scampi

What had he got to hide?

Lol - most sentient posters accept this issue is hardly about Cameron's role in plebgate:)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

It's an accurate claim. Besides, I was just using the same language that the poster him/her self has used in the past.

As for your substantive point: when this story started accelerating a few days ago, someone on here claimed that it was essentially a non-story, and it was the usual Labour <-> union argument that happens at this stage of every parliament, to both their advantages.

Now that appears to be incorrect, but it is easy to see how it may have started as that sort of thing and got out of hand when people realised that possible illegality had occurred.

And then there are the wider questions about influence. Some people tried to make something out of the fact the PM travelled on a foreign trip with JCB's MD a few months ago, when the MD is a Conservative funder. Magnify that by several orders of magnitude and you have the current Labour <-> union situation.

People on the left ask why individuals fund the Conservatives if they do not get any influence. The same question should be asked of the unions: what do they get by funding the Labour party and even sponsoring individual MPs?

That is a very different issue, though. Ed is quite clearly not dancing to Len's tune. If he were, this current argument would not be taking place.

What the unions get by funding Labour is a hearing; the chance to make a case. And given the way all our parties are funded, all significant donors to all parties have a right to expect that. I would wish it otherwise, but we are where we are where we are. The key is transparency. None of the parties are up to scratch here - we just don't know what happens behind closed doors. However, we do know which Labour MPs are sponsored by which unions and we can judge their actions against that.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited July 2013
    Downing St CCTV is controlled by the PM and isn't operated by the police?
    Sounds a bit odd considering plod will be responsible for security there.
    tim said:

@Scampi

What had he got to hide?

• Options
    Ladbrokes are offering 9/2 on Ed Miliband to be replaced as Labour leader before Next General Election and 16/1 on Ed Miliband to be replaced as Labour leader in 2013. Might be worth a fiver, given his current troubles?
  • Options
    How many Police have been arrested or suspended over Plebgate..it seems to be moving along nicely..now lets get back on topic ..Len and Ed
  • Options

Ladbrokes are offering 9/2 on Ed Miliband to be replaced as Labour leader before Next General Election and 16/1 on Ed Miliband to be replaced as Labour leader in 2013. Might be worth a fiver, given his current troubles?

If Rudd wins in Australia, expect Tom Watson to be "dropping off some toys" in Queensferry soon after?

• Options
    scampi said:

scampi said:

In the modern age this seems seems a rather old-fashioned and secretive approach. With such an important issue it sounds like an excuse. They could block out names or even risk being sued if it would indeed be illegal into publish.

It does sound like an excuse, but the enquiry took place under conditions that had been agreed. In any case, all the evidence is with the police now. So what happens next is in their hands.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @tim

A link that substantiates exactly what you say please
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If Rudd wins in Australia, expect Tom Watson to be "dropping off some toys" in Queensferry soon after?

Indeed. If anybody knows where the bodies are buried, it is Watson. And goodness, what a lot of bodies there are.

While the Tory Party looks and smells like a slowly rotting vegetable and the Lib Dems resemble a pricked and discarded balloon, the Labour Party gives every indication of being a loudly ticking time bomb.

There simply must be some great opportunities out there for punters. But where?

• Options

The LDs and the Tories have spoken out vociferously and consistently against the way the unions fund Labour. There'd be no battle - they have the numbers to pass the legislation. But it suits them not to. As you say, there are problems relating to party funding generally.

But would it have been a wise battle for them to choose, given the complexities? Perhaps there was enough stuff on their plate to deal with.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    DH: Good article. I was involved in trying to get the company I worked for, unionised. The companies in house "staff representation committee" was seemingly controlled and run for the benefit of the company.

Unfortunately, due to internal politics within UNITE, we lost our excellent original organising rep., who was then replaced with someone who was more interested in his upcoming retirement and his holiday home in Portugal. Several times, some at major points, he disappeared for weeks on end.

We could get no response from Unite except to go through our rep..

The last meeting I was at with the union rep, there were two of us plus him. Then there was just him. Nearly all the people who signed up to the union had handed their membership cards back (torn them up) within a year in disgust.
  • Options

But would it have been a wise battle for them to choose, given the complexities? Perhaps there was enough stuff on their plate to deal with.

Clearly they feel it is not a wise battle, even though they have the numbers to get legislation through comfortably. There is nothing complex in doing away with the block grants. The problem is that doing so would throw a light on the way others are funded, while also removing a line of political attack that the Tories in particular like to employ.

• Options

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

That is a very different issue, though. Ed is quite clearly not dancing to Len's tune. If he were, this current argument would not be taking place.

What the unions get by funding Labour is a hearing; the chance to make a case. And given the way all our parties are funded, all significant donors to all parties have a right to expect that. I would wish it otherwise, but we are where we are where we are. The key is transparency. None of the parties are up to scratch here - we just don't know what happens behind closed doors. However, we do know which Labour MPs are sponsored by which unions and we can judge their actions against that.
    "f he were, this current argument would not be taking place."

Again, that does not necessarily follow. This problem in Falkirk has been known and suspected for some time, and it has only just exploded because certain individuals within the party have complained. This semi-scandal (which has yet to become a full scandal) was not one chosen by either Len or Ed. Now it has broken, sides are having to be taken.

It would be a brave Labour MP who takes the union's side on this now the story has broken, especially as illegality is possible.

As for the funding: you get a great deal more influence if you have MPs who are directly linked to you. That must change.
  • Options
    I take your point, but presumably cctv is there for security purposes etc. Cameron or any other employee working there should not be in a position to decide what does or doesn't get made available. It is after all a government building and not a private residence. A most tangled of webs.
    tim said:

Downing St CCTV is controlled by the PM and isn't operated by the police?
    Sounds a bit odd considering plod will be responsible for security there.

tim said:

@Scampi

David Camerons refusal to hand over to the police the CCTV of Plebgate.
    What had he got to hide?

"Yet it is now known that, at the time, the Prime Minister had, along with his Cabinet Secretary, Sir Jeremy Heywood, viewed CCTV footage that blew a hole in the police's version of events. Mr Cameron knew there was a discrepancy"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-plebgate-affair-the-cold-revenge-of-andrew-mitchell-8430205.html?origin=internalSearch

The contrast between Cameron sitting on that evidence and Milibands behaviour this week is stark.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

"f he were, this current argument would not be taking place."

Again, that does not necessarily follow. This problem in Falkirk has been known and suspected for some time, and it has only just exploded because certain individuals within the party have complained. This semi-scandal (which has yet to become a full scandal) was not one chosen by either Len or Ed. Now it has broken, sides are having to be taken.

It would be a brave Labour MP who takes the union's side on this now the story has broken, especially as illegality is possible.

As for the funding: you get a great deal more influence if you have MPs who are directly linked to you. That must change.

If the relationship is transparent I would argue that voters are perfectly well-equipped to decide whether a union has too much influence over an MP. But if change is required, the government can bring it about, if it so wishes. Presumably, any new law would also apply to private funding enjoyed by any MP from any party.

The Falkirk CLP was actually suspended in May. McCluskey has been strongly criticising Labour policy for much longer.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Betting tip - Mens Final - Andy vs Novak.

I'm going to plump for Len to win in 19 sets.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If there were any doubt about it, I think we can expect a Conservative endorsement by the Mail at the next election:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2357085/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Scandal-exposes-Milibands-weakness.html
  • Options

@Tim
    "The contrast between Cameron sitting on that evidence and Milibands behaviour this week is stark."

ROFL. Oh dear - I'd hoped the PB blackout would've given you the chance to catch up on some much needed shut-eye.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all. As I have often said, the Labour Party is the political wing of the UNITE trade union and the BBC is the media wing of the Labour Party. simples :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Scott_P said:

Evidence of anomalous Unite activity in candidate selection was available in April.

Why did Ed "sit on it" until July?

The contrast with swift, decisive action is stark

Exactly. Tim's 'look: squirrel' approach in dragging Cameron into this is hilarious.

When the lie that was Plebgate broke, whatever Cameron did would be open to criticism. If he had released the CCTV tapes, then people would be saying that he released them as a political issue, that he was picking an argument with the police, that he was besmirching the good name of the police officers.

Indeed, ISTR that some on here who argued (as I did) that the story stank early on were asked how we dare say the police were lying.

Cameron was in an impossible situation, where any action would lead him open to criticism. It's a shame that Tim does not direct his ire against the people who have besmirched the police's good name Unfortunately, that is the police and the Police Federation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/24/plebgate-police-federation-andrew-mitchell
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If there were any doubt about it, I think we can expect a Conservative endorsement by the Mail at the next election:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2357085/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Scandal-exposes-Milibands-weakness.html

I reckon the Mirror will endorse Labour.

• Options

antifrank said:

It's this kind of incisive political analysis that people come to pb for.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    tim said:

Scott_P said:

Evidence of anomalous Unite activity in candidate selection was available in April.

The NEC was told to investigate Falkirk selection months ago, how do you think they produced a report at the end of June if Ed had sat on it until July?

Of course the opposite is true in the case of Cameron and the Plebgate tapes, he sat on them for three months and it was only when Michael Crick broadcast them that he acted.
    Had Crick not got hold of them do you think Dave would have handed them over to the police?
    HUGE difference of course is Falkirk is potentially about criminal activity within the Labour Party/Trade Union movement. Plebgate was about potential criminal activity by police officers aimed at discrediting a Tory cabinet minister.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Exactly. Tim's 'look: squirrel' approach in dragging Cameron into this is hilarious.

When the lie that was Plebgate broke, whatever Cameron did would be open to criticism. If he had released the CCTV tapes, then people would be saying that he released them as a political issue, that he was picking an argument with the police, that he was besmirching the good name of the police officers.

Indeed, ISTR that some on here who argued (as I did) that the story stank early on were asked how we dare say the police were lying.

Cameron was in an impossible situation, where any action would lead him open to criticism. It's a shame that Tim does not direct his ire against the people who have besmirched the police's good name by lying in this case. Unfortunately, that is the police and the Police Federation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/24/plebgate-police-federation-andrew-mitchell

Not acting because it leaves you open to criticism is surely the epitome of weakness.

Do you have any evidence that the Police Federation lied about anything?

How do you think an enquiry took place and the Falkirk CLP got suspended if nothing had been done?

• Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

And here's another shocker - the Guardian will equivocate and then urge its readers to vote either Labour or LD, depending on the constituency they are in.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Yesterday's Guardian editorial calls this "a Labour weakness struggle", and identifies 3 key Labour weaknesses:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/05/labour-unions-issue-weakness-editorial

Looks like this particular line has got legs if the Guardian is in on the game.

Worth a read if you are a punter who has backed LAB in the UK GE markets, or has backed 'No' (which is the same thing as LAB) in the IndyRef markets.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

The idea that this is about size is a bit silly, Unite is 2/3rds the size of the T&G at its peak

You're a bit silly, missing the point of David's article (deliberately, I assume, because you don't want to talk about it).

It's about *relative* size not absolute size.

It's not healthy for a political party to be dependent on any one individual. For instance, UKIP is too dependent on its Treasurer (Stuart Wheeler?) while the Tories were too dependent on Ashcroft. While both are good men, it's not good to be reliant on any one source of money
  • Options

Yesterday's Guardian editorial calls this "a Labour weakness struggle", and identifies 3 key Labour weaknesses:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/05/labour-unions-issue-weakness-editorial

Looks like this particular line has got legs if the Guardian is in on the game.

Worth a read if you are a punter who has backed LAB in the UK GE markets, or has backed 'No' (which is the same thing as LAB) in the IndyRef markets.

It's pretty much bang on the money, I'd say.

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited July 2013

Nice post: Strange you fail to include your residence - the evil Swedish Empire - in that list. Why don't you support the Danish peoples of Skåneland and their aspirations son...? *

* No doubt due to your inbred hatred of Angles, Saxons and Jutes. The provinces of Beowulf curse your stupidity...!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Scott_P said:

Cameron was in an impossible situation, where any action would lead him open to criticism. It's a shame that Tim does not direct his ire against the people who have besmirched the police's good name Unfortunately, that is the police and the Police Federation.

Whatever you think his reasoning for not wanting the CCTV tapes to be handed over to the police it's clear that Cameron made a deliberate decision to sit on the evidence, in stark contrast to Miliband who ordered an inquiry, suspended the local party, suspended the individuals concerned and handed over the file to the police.
    If he had released the CCTV, you would now be saying: "Cameron released the CCTV for political ends, which puts the CCTV into doubt. He was scared for his chum."

Cameron handled the shitestorm well. Not perfectly with hindsight, but well.

The two situations are so different that no comparison can be made. For one thing, the lie Cameron had to deal with was thrust onto him by external parties, and there was nothing he could do to forestall them. The problem Ed is having to deal with is largely internal to the party he runs, and the potential problems have been obvious for years.

Edit: And there is another point. The situation was rapidly changing, with the Police Federation piling pressure on and even lying about meetings with Mitchell. Releasing the evidence early may have allowed the liars to change their story to fit the CCTV evidence. Releasing it later meant that they had already set out their position.

By accident or design, delaying the release of the CCTV gave them enough rope to hang themselves.
  • Options
    tim said:

@ScottP

Any evidence for that, and evidence as to whether the NEC considered it or not?

Oh dear, timmy
    In a note circulated to everyone contesting the selection on April 5, Labour officials revealed that they feared the law may have been broken.
    If the NEC did consider it, for which there is no evidence, no report to the Police still rather blows a hole in your "stark contrast, swift decisive action" meme.

Ed acted in Falkirk out of weakness. He was beaten to the punch by the Tories and is struggling to catch up

Ed is almost as weak as your spin.
  • Options
    @tim Ed Miliband has hardly bust a gut on Falkirk:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/05/ed-miliband-unite-falkirk-selection

"Miliband's cautious response has left him vulnerable to Tory attacks that he has been slow to confront Unite. Officials acknowledged on Friday that Miliband knew about the allegations about irregularities in the Falkirk selection as far back as 17 May – the date when the selection process was suspended.

But it took until Friday for the party to consult the procurator fiscal to ask how to proceed. Party officials say it took so long because it was only in the last 48 hours that a solicitor used by the party was consulted."

Which does rather beg the question why.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    crikey - I can't remember tim struggling so badly on here for so long - is it time to claim Dan Hodges is on his side or that tony was supported by the tgwu or of course survation, the new gold standard!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

And here's another shocker - the Guardian will equivocate and then urge its readers to vote either Labour or LD, depending on the constituency they are in.

TBF, though, a Mail endorsement is probably a tory gain from UKIP...
  • Options
    Repeat . How many plod were sacked or suspended over Plebgate..obviously being completely innocent..it was just on a whim.
  • Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

I think this thread will surprise you.

The key word is sentient!

The definition of sentient being "writes something I can agree with".

It's a pretty thin argument that actually starts by branding opposing views as ignorant.
  • Options

Repeat . How many plod were sacked or suspended over Plebgate..obviously being completely innocent..it was just on a whim.

There have been plenty of arrests, including some this week:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk-news/2013/jul/03/plebgate-investigators-arrest-police

Investigations are continuing.
  • Options
    To experience sheer venom, the comments under the Guardian piece on breaking the union link are worth reading. They're not happy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/05/ed-miliband-trade-unions

Some samples:

"Couldn't agree more, just get the [MODERATED] out of the way Milliband and take your Tory party with you. If you can't face Cameron down you should just resign/retire, you are a total disgrace, unions and workers need to form a real opposition to the neoliberal agenda. The Tories say jump, you say, "how high", your father must be spinning in his grave."

"Well then if they want to break with the unions and the labourers of this nation these SpAd tits had better probably change the name of the party to something else, maybe The NeoLiberal Party?

Labour was FOUNDED by unions! Not by Uni educated prats who have never held a job in their lives outside politics! If Labour wants to finalize the lurch to the right and become the party of unregulated free market and to hell with the worker that Balir took it in then good riddance! Time for the working class to form another party to fill the vacuum they have left these 12 long years."

"Traitor traitor traitor to the working class!-fucking wankers the lot of them!"

"Anonymous 'sources', a drunken thug, and Grant Shapps think Labour should cuts its links to the unions. Well, that's a reasonable cross section."

"Miliblands isn't just a tosser. He's not even clever. Copies his brothers attempts to copy tony blairs mannerisms badly. Laughs at rebuttles so as to give himself time to think. Attempts statesmanship like a new contestant on the X factor. Can't come up with any new ideas. Starts every sentence with and look,.....let me tel you.........while I think of something...... He's becoming comical.....!"
  • Options

crikey - I can't remember tim struggling so badly on here for so long

Trying to pretend that Ed isn't weak was always going to be difficult when confronted with reality.

Ya cannae change the laws of physics, Captain!
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Scott, the Times must have it wrong. We've already been reassured that Falkirk was an exceptional case.
  • Options
    Has Ed Balls come out with full support for rEd yet ?

Yvette ?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Just over an hour to P3.
  • Options
    Antifrank..Guardian comments, they are the mosr sensible things I have read in the Guardian for years. Says it all really
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Mr Dodd,

Don't forget that Sven found the Channel-Four investigation hilarious. He just "loved" seeing the Tories "humiliate" themselves on such "nothingness".

No doubt Sven will try to hide such facts from the good-people of Broxtowe (should he stand again in 2015); how embarrassing would it be if he was seen to condone behaviour MODERATED No doubt he will have to extend his support to the more conservative [sic] elements of the Asian community to steal the seat from the good Doctor single-mother*....

* North-of-Watford. Ergo: a place of little interest....

Edited-to-add: We had an edit clash. I assume that the events highlighted by the following link are non-gratis regarding Sven's potential 2015 campaign (and effects thereof)...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23170959
  • Options
    tim said:

Is it the Ilford West piece, is that why you don't want to post it?

No, it isn't. It's about Chester. The clue would be the bit where it says "Chester"

Give Murdoch some cash before you look even more foolish.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It's a lovely day, and I have things to do that don't involve sitting at a computer teaching my creepy stalker how to read place names.

Laters!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    edited July 2013
    I actually have a lot of sympathy with Len in this and thought he made some very good points in his interview yesterday.

His first point is that it has been party policy for a very long time to positively encourage union members to join the Labour party as members. This encouragement went to the stage of paying the first year's membership. There was video footage linked to yesterday of Ed specifically endorsing the scheme.

His second point was that Labour is not exactly full up of members. Like most political parties its membership is dying on its feet. I did like Henry's point yesterday that this was briefly reversed by those looking for votes for reselection battles. If these people are eligible for membership (which they clearly are) I really don't see what the problem is in encouraging people to join to influence a selection. It seems an entirely sensible thing to do.

His third point is, as he put it, this is "our" party. Historically he is clearly correct. Ed's suggestion that the link to the Unions be broken is the change. It is a change driven by public perception and the domination of Labour by the middle class elite of which Ed is a member. i think it is worth asking what Labour is for if it is not there to support the working class and the disadvantaged of society. It's purpose cannot simply be to provide jobs and opportunities for the likes of Miliband.

Of course, if someone has gone too far in completing forms without peoples' consent and knowledge that is clearly wrong but I think Ed has made a major mistake in seeking to involve the police in this. As Len said every Labour leader seems to think they need a clause 4 moment and Ed thinks this is his. Well, we will see.

What this row shows is that Labour has lost its original purpose. Its' new purpose is apparently to promote the metropolitan, guardian reading, middle class who like to spend too much of other peoples' money on themselves and to create a dependency culture that can get them elected. No wonder the Unions want to have more MPs that are a bit more like them. No wonder this elite does not like it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I seem be alone in thinking this Unite business should be good for Labour. I know I said the same about Gordon but.......

....... Labour look like winners only because of the unpopularity of the Tories and the tactical ineptness of Clegg and the Dems. In the extremely unlikely event that they have a renaissance or the even more unlikely event that their concubines do then Labour are in difficulties.

This could remove even that possibility. An opportunity for Ed to not only show decisive leadership but also to show the Labour values of standing up for the oppressed against the vested interests of Maclusky and the juggernaught Union he runs. An irresistible combination.

....... Ed as the Marlon Brando character Terry in 'On The Waterfront'.
  • Options
    @Roger It's not impossible but Ed Miliband needs a clear victory. He hasn't got that yet.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Roger thinks Ed could have been a contender.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Scott_P said:

tim said:

Is it the Ilford West piece, is that why you don't want to post it?

No, it isn't. It's about Chester. The clue would be the bit where it says "Chester"

Give Murdoch some cash before you look even more foolish.
    PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU POST A CLEAR AND UNEQUIVOCAL LINK TO ANY SUCH STORIES> THIS IS TO PROTECT THE SITE OWNER

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    AveryLP said:

" I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ed, the Dauntless Ditherer, complete with flowing cloak and steel jaw, sets out to destroy the basic principles behind the Labour Party, why does he want to become a Tory
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    @Antifrank

"Anonymous 'sources', a drunken thug, and Grant Shapps think Labour should cuts its links to the unions. Well, that's a reasonable cross section."

LOL
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    AveryLP said:

Or Wodger thinks that Justine is a passable Eva Marie Saint? Who knows with Wodger's peculiar "tastes"....

Edited-to-add: I am only talking about acting abilities. No other inference should be made or assumed....
This discussion has been closed.