Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Murray’s victory

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Murray’s victory

Get your money on Andy Murray
@DPJHodges thinks he's going to lose.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Good for him!
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Wonderful.
    Mike Wade ‏@mikewadejourno

Dunblane Centre at the moment when @Andy_Murray won pic.twitter.com/r0BBUko8AX
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    The weird thing about that Cameron/Salmond photo is that Cameron looks like he's been photoshopped in. There's a joke in there about Cameron always looking phony somewhere.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Magnificent. We are living through a golden age for British sport.
  • NextNext Posts: 826
    Trust Salmond to spoil the moment.

Idiot.
    SeanT said:

Phenomenally stupid PR stunt by Salmond. Epic, epic fail. What possessed him?

In the general euphoria, even any criticism at him for doing it will not get much traction I assume.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Alex Salmond sending out the message to Scottish tennis: "Vote for independence so you can't win a Grand Slam in your own country again."
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Great tweet from Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh

yuvraj singh ‏@YUVSTRONG12 25m

Congratulations to andy Murray his mother and the whole of Britain !! Finally an Englishman wining after 77 years that was a long wait!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    What did Salmond do now? I think waving a flag around at a time like this is pretty reasonable.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Didn't Andy Murray in his TV interview on court refer to "British"?

(He should, in fact, have said "Elmbridge" as he is one of mine).
    The truth.

Kevin Affleck Kevin Affleck ‏@affers1178 28m

Please bore off with 'now is he British and not Scottish' line. To emerge from tragedy of Dunblane to do this is astonishing. #andymurray
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Cameron and Salmond both wanted to claim Murray - a bit nauseating all round. Maybe the wise politico would have stayed away and congratulated from afar...
    RobD said:

What did Salmond do now? I think waving a flag around at a time like this is pretty reasonable.

Not having a flag for most of the match, then breaking one out behind the head of the PM of the UK at the end, could appear a bit of a cheap stunt, but it's harmless even if cheekily intentioned, and even most unionists won't care because they are happy Murray won, so it will only really seriously annoy people who find anything Salmond does annoying anyway, so there's no point in them getting angry, as no-one else will get upset about it.
    Lot of whiny twats up for the title of PB Hodges today.

Blimey your boy could lose a few pounds Mick. Lay off the deep fried mars bars alex mon.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Murray said British - Salmonds cheap hankie waving about par for him.
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

The weird thing about that Cameron/Salmond photo is that Cameron looks like he's been photoshopped in. There's a joke in there about Cameron always looking phony somewhere.

If you were uncertain whether to vote YES or NO in the referendum, would the sight of the SNP leader getting out his tartan todger and bashing it on the Duke of Kent's shoulder really convince you that YES had a serious grip on the politics of independence?

Calamitous mistake. Those who love Alex will smile, and perhaps they will mean it, but the doubters will cringe.

I think it was cheap and unnecessary, but mostly harmless - I don't actually think Cameron is a total phony, I just genuinely think he looks photoshopped in the photo is all and was anticipating a potential response to that observation.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,546
    Well done Murray.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited July 2013
    SeanT said:

Phenomenally stupid PR stunt by Salmond. Epic, epic fail. What possessed him?

He probably wanted to annoy tw@ts like these:

http://tinyurl.com/kseztq9

or these:

http://tinyurl.com/lmg58sc

And you too, obviously.

• RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Oh dear, poor Ed. More feel-good stuff. I'm almost beginning to feel sorry for him. Almost.
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Not having a flag for most of the match, then breaking one out behind the head of the PM of the UK at the end, could appear a bit of a cheap stunt, but it's harmless even if cheekily intentioned, and even most unionists won't care because they are happy Murray won, so it will only really seriously annoy people who find anything Salmond does annoying anyway, so there's no point in them getting angry, as no-one else will get upset about it.
    Meh, Cam is PM of Scottish people too, and should be as equally proud of the Saltire as he is of the Union Jack, whether or not it is being waved behind his head by a cheeky separatist. ;)
    Mick_Pork said:

The truth.

I didn't realise he was at Dunblane. It looks like he has that firmly behind him though - congratulations to him!

RobD said:

Not for the PB Hodges.

Murray said he wanted to give the fans a British winner - and he did.

Salmond like a fat John Terry - surprised he didn't change into full tennis whites.
    I didn't realise he was at Dunblane.

He was in the school when the guy opened fire. If you watched the docu on him, he could not bring himself to talk about it even now. Sue Barker had to change the subject.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013

I just genuinely think he looks photoshopped in the photo is all

I've never understood how a photograph is able to drain the life out of people. I've never forgotten a photo of a colleague that made him look like a card-board cut-out.
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Clearly you haven't seen Twitter. "Salmond" is trending, and it's not because the world thinks he pulled off a PR triumph of the ages.

Salmond needs to be statesmanlike right now, a man you would trust with running a new country. Not cavorting on live TV like some Caledonian ape on crack.

It's odd, because he's normally very sure-footed.
    Trending on twitter? Start the leadership challenge against Salmond now, SNP, he's about to cost you the referendum!

I imagine it's more surefooted than it appears. No matter the intent he is too canny to not know what the perceived intent would be, so he stirs up and annoys angry people in the twittersphere, while any complaints from Cameron or another politico would look like they are being petty in bringing it up. I think he wanted to celebrate a Scot's win as a Scot, while also having some fun with his opponents at little real (read, non-twitter) cost to himself.

Just another part of a fun day out I imagine.

Kudos to him for providing some fodder for bitter political insults immediately after the win though - it might have taken all of 5 minutes otherwise.
    I thought Alex Salmond's stunt was quite funny, though not very statesmanlike.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT SouthamObserver

Have we ever seen a party just kicked out of government enjoy the poll boost that Labour got almost as soon as the coalition was formed? I have asked on here a few times and no-one has ever been able to point to another example. It occured before anything happened in terms of legislation or the economy, before any promises could be broken. It was a specific reaction to the coalition. We are in uncharted waters.

If you think through the implications, all/virtually all Labour's gains are from disaffected LibDems i.e. that EdM has not "won" any on his own merits.

Therefore, he is at risk from some of those returning to the LDs. And that's probably not something he can necessarily control. Doesn't feel like a particularly secure position
    Mick_Pork said:

The truth.

Kevin Affleck Kevin Affleck ‏@affers1178 28m

Please bore off with 'now is he British and not Scottish' line. To emerge from tragedy of Dunblane to do this is astonishing. #andymurray
    You mean he is both Scottish and British?

Glad someone understands the reality that people can have multiple loyalties
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TGOHF

'Salmond like a fat John Terry - surprised he didn't change into full tennis whites.'

They didn't have his size.
    Taking the piss out of someone because they are fat is inappropriate. It also has the added bonus of making you look completely childish.
    edited July 2013
    AnneJGP said:

I just genuinely think he looks photoshopped in the photo is all

I've never understood how a photograph is able to drain the life out of people. I've never forgotten a photo of a colleague that made him look like a card-board cut-out.

It's remarkable - Salmond also looks like a giant next to Cameron (not a weight issue, the forced perspective just makes his proportions look far larger, even though Cameron looks like he should be closer to the camera and so not minimised). Maybe Cameron was not really there bit was a hologram?
    RobD said:

Taking the piss out of someone because they are fat is inappropriate. It also has the added bonus of making you look completely childish.

If a man has no discipline over his own body how can he be expected to have the same over the affairs of state ?
  • The Times today said that Alex Salmond is planning on going on the 5:2 diet. From the images you can see why! I doubt anyone in Scotland will care about flags or anything else at the moment. Judging by the alcohol consumption going on around me we won't even remember who won Wimbledon by tomorrow!
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

If a man has no discipline over his own body how can he be expected to have the same over the affairs of state ?
    Yeah, Churchill was piss-poor wasn't he. Fucking hell.

edited July 2013
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

Preposterous. We've never had fat people rule a nation before and do a good job? I'll presume someone's tongue is in their cheek.

New rule, no-one can become PM unless they can demonstrate they exercise appropriate self discipline in body and in mind, never having drunk to excess or smoked, they exercise 30-60 minutes every day and eat their five portions of fruits and veg, and massage the mind by reading at least one non-fiction book a day while devoting time to logic and general knowledge problem solving games to keep their intellect sharp.

They also cannot be a weirdo obsessed with politics, as it's not healthy for you.
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Salmond has been reduced to using clearly photo shopped propaganda stunts . He's meant to be the FM of Scotland , not a ridiculous publicity whore. Crass .
  • RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    kle4 said:

New rule, no-one can become PM unless they can demonstrate they exercise appropriate self discipline in body and in mind, never having drunk to excess or smoked, they exercise 30-60 minutes every day and eat their five portions of fruits and veg, and massage the mind by reading at least one non-fiction book a day while devoting time to logic and general knowledge problem solving games to keep their intellect sharp.

A sort of ... Buddhist self-discipline?
    edited July 2013
    Big pile of nothing that the quarrel is, I will say that the fact Salmond is not waving the flag or holding it above his head, but deliberately ensuring it is stretched out behind Cameron, is a clear sign he was intentionally amusing himself in the manner of celebration. What bet he'll have an aid print out some of the most ridiculous reactions to his action for him to chuckle over later?*

*no bet.
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

Yet you think Boris Johnson will be PM.
    'Will be' is not the same as 'good at' of course, not that I personally think he will achieve it. Anyone could make it to the position.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    Not a huge fan of tennis, but that last game was unbelievable. Murray showed true class and Djokevic showed what a champion he is.

It would be a shame if the politics of flags prevented Murray from enjoying this as much as he should.

What an amazing weekend of sport. I have seen just about everything now I could hope to see. Just two left: England winning the World Cup, Spurs winning the league title. Both are as likely as peace in the Middle East. Oh, and there is a bit of me that still holds out hope that one day I will see my son in an England - or even a Lions - shirt. But that is just a Dad talking!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    RichardNavabi - Sounds like Mitt Romney!
  • kle4 said:

Am I right in thinking that both Blair and Cameron were/are smokers? Churchill liked a cigar and Wilson pretended to smoke a pipe. Could be a pre-requisite for future PMs!
    Salmond I have to say looks a prat, I would expect this will just strengthen the Union cause further
    edited July 2013

kle4 said:

I think political opponents would claim sitting under a tree is not an appropriate preperation for government. Where's your manifesto Mr Buddha, if that is your real name? (it isn't)
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2013
    1936 Fred Perry - Liberals part of national government
    1977 Virginia Wade - The Lib-Lab pact
    2013 Andy Murray - The CON-LD coalition

Spot the connection
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Amazing result by Murray, following the Lions victory yesterday its a wonderful weekend to be British now bring on The Ashes.

Off Topic but regarding the previous threads data image: Its worth noting how Others (which then included UKIP) collapsed between "now" and the election. I suspect the same again will happen with UKIP far too over-rated right now for what will eventually be an Others performance. I suspect both Tories and the Lib-Dems will improve by GE15 with Labour and UKIP+Others falling.

Spot the connection

Err... Tennis?
  • HYUFD said:

Salmond I have to say looks a prat, I would expect this will just strengthen the Union cause further

A friend on facebook described him as looking like a 'turnip with hands'. Not entirely unfair, the boy is getting to be some size!
    Meanwhile, Farage insists UKIP is not a Tory right splinter group.

They may well pick up votes from across the board better than they once did, but if that's how he feels, they should really stop advertising themselves like a Tory right splinter group.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23217121
    edited July 2013
    Is it possible that Salmond was just very pleased? Politically the only people he needs to be credible with are the Scots and you may find that quite a few of them feel like waving Saltires too.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    HYUFD said:

What will be interesting, many months from now, will be the pressure on Sir Andy (as surely he will soon become) to declare his view on the independence referendum (even if he can't actually vote in it being resident in the Esher and Walton constituency!).

Would any declaration by him shift votes one way or the other?

By the way, I must check the marked register to see if he voted in May: I'd be amazed if he did!

Is it possible that Salmond was just very pleased? Politically the only people he needs to be credible with are the Scots and you may find that quite a few of them feel like waving Saltires too.

Cameron was pleased - he jumped up and celebrated.

Salmond spent the moment unrolling his Saltire.
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

HYUFD said:

A friend on facebook described him as looking like a 'turnip with hands'. Not entirely unfair, the boy is getting to be some size!
    I thought this was the cruellest but most spot on description - lots of people have made it on Twitter

Jamie Yule ‏@JamieYule 1h

Alex salmond really needs to work on his clapping, looks like a seal #wimbledon
    edited July 2013

I'm sure he was very pleased, but as overblown as the criticism is, look at the photo again - he's not just waving a flag, he's having it held up behind Cameron to perfectly frame him (rather than, you know, just waving the flag); it's too perfect to be anything other than intentional framing. Salmond knows how that will be perceived, so must have been having fun in doing it. Harmless, but cheeky.

Spot the connection

The Liberals get screwed in the end?
  • Scottish FM celebrates Scotsman winning Wimbledon by waving a Saltire. If only our own leaders were so patriotic.
  • FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    When If Chris Froome wins this year's Tour de France would anyone get upset if the Zambian President was in the crowd, flying the national flag? Why the sensitivity when we have minor-nations' political heads hitch onto an indiviual or team sporting success...?
    edited July 2013

Scottish FM celebrates Scotsman winning Wimbledon by waving a Saltire. If only our own leaders were so patriotic.

I'm actually starting to feel a backlash coming on. From me that is. The attempts to make his framing Cameron with a Saltaire some huge strategic mistep worthy of personal abuse was pretty weak, but the intentional misunderstanding of what the irritation was about, and pretending it was at him merely waving a Saltaire rather than what is blatantly cheeky framing of Cameron with a Saltaire, is getting to be near as false as the outrage from before.

Pretending Salmond's framing Cameron is some huge outrage? Preposterous.

Pretending people were getting irritated a Scotsman dared to celebrate with a Saltaire? Equally preposterous.

The former know it is at most a bit cheap, at best (and as I view it), harmless fun.

The latter are clearly responding to the former by pretending they are talking about something else and then getting fake affronted about it.

According to Salmond's geographic view of nationality Murray is English. His brandishing of the Saltire to salute Murray was comical or disturbingly ethnocentric.

• PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I swear Lendl is really descended from an Easter Island statue

John McEnroe @McEnroeTweets
    That's Lendl going crazy let's be honest. pic.twitter.com/9gC5XADgQS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOllXNBCQAASRPt.jpg:large
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Mr_Eugenides
    RT@nytimes: After 77 Years, Murray and England Rule http://nyti.ms/16Y3162 >Cybernats frantically set up accounts to complain in comments
    How many years did we have to wait?

What a great day for celebration.

After all this time.

Finally.

Abu Qatada was deported.
  • TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited July 2013
    kle4 said:

Scottish FM celebrates Scotsman winning Wimbledon by waving a Saltire. If only our own leaders were so patriotic.

I'm actually starting to feel a backlash coming on. From me that is. The attempts to make his framing Cameron with a Saltaire some huge strategic mistep worthy of personal abuse was pretty weak, but the intentional misunderstanding of what the irritation was about, and pretending it was at him merely waving a Saltaire rather than what is blatantly cheeky framing of Cameron with a Saltaire, is getting to be near as false as the outrage from before.

The outrage bus is, indeed, full.
    I don't understand why most people on here don't want Scots independence, after all, they've been moaning about Unions for days!
    @GazWeetman: Alex Salmond. Like an uncle you've invited to a party who then tries to sell everyone life insurance. #wimbledon
  • JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

What will be interesting, many months from now, will be the pressure on Sir Andy (as surely he will soon become) to declare his view on the independence referendum (even if he can't actually vote in it being resident in the Esher and Walton constituency!).

Would any declaration by him shift votes one way or the other?

By the way, I must check the marked register to see if he voted in May: I'd be amazed if he did!
    I don't think it will become much of an issue to be honest. I don't think at the present time Sean Connery being "Yes" or Alex Ferguson being "No" makes a big difference either way. The impact of celebrity endorsements seems overblown (to coin a phrase that could come back to haunt me) to me, after all if Chuck Norris couldn't win it for Romney . . .
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    This New York Times URL has the original headline to this story

http://goo.gl/dhcAU
    Next said:

From what I saw on the telly Salmond jumped up in the air and clapped too. The saltire came out afterwards. In a Scottish context - which is all he (rightly) cares about - I cannot see how waving his nation's flag after one of its sons produces an historic sporting triumph worthy of comparison with anything else any Scot has ever done is a huge disaster.

edited July 2013
    Took a few minutes, but the responses are out in force now. You see what you did, Salmond haters?

"You dare to get way too affronted at a bit of fun from Salmond! I'll show you - how about I now accuse you of being angry at the mere existence of a Saltaire, even though that would be a ridiculous thing for me to say!"

At least in a few years we won't have to have this argument, as Scotland will be independent, and we can all support Murray without pouring over every online article to make sure Scot and Brit are used the same number of times in each one about him.
    It is a sign of just how badly Wee Eck misjudged the moment that instead of celebrating Andy's historic win, many, many people are debating just how big an arse Alex Salmond is.

Epic Fail.
    kle4 said:

I'm sure he was very pleased, but as overblown as the criticism is, look at the photo again - he's not just waving a flag, he's having it held up behind Cameron to perfectly frame him (rather than, you know, just waving the flag); it's too perfect to be anything other than intentional framing. Salmond knows how that will be perceived, so must have been having fun in doing it. Harmless, but cheeky.

Not sure that salmond could antiucipate how someone might do a screen grab off the telly. But if he did, that shows a remarkable amount of resourcefulness.

• Tweet of the day:

Sanjeev Kohli ‏@govindajeggy 2h

Today's the day to draw a picture of Andy Murray on a napkin, hand it to a London cabbie & say "THERE'S YOUR SCOTTISH FIVER" #wimbledon
    edited July 2013

Next said:

I cannot see how waving his nation's flag after one of its sons produces an historic sporting triumph worthy of comparison with anything else any Scot has ever done is a huge disaster.

Because that is not what people are complaining about and you know that (the context and positioning of the act is relevant, as Salmond would be well aware), just as they know it is not a disaster even if they wish it were.

Even for political arguments this one is childishly pathetic in its deliberate missing of the points on both sides.

It's really getting my smug, 'rising above it' glands swelling.
  • Surely it's only a matter of time before Dan Hodges tells us Murray winning is bad for Ed Milliband?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited July 2013
    kle4 said:

"You dare to get way too affronted at a bit of fun from Salmond! I'll show you - how about I now accuse you of being angry at the mere existence of a Saltaire, even though that would be a ridiculous thing for me to say!"

I know the spelling Nazism has been getting a bit tiresome recently, but it's 'saltire', Saltaire is somewhere in Yorkshire (I think).

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349

Following Andy's triumph in the USA last year when he became British, he is now officially English. But don't worry, you Scots, you can have him back when he retires (and begins to smoke and drink too much).

kle4 said:

I know the spelling Nazism has been getting a bit tiresome recently, but it's 'saltire', Saltaire is somewhere in in Yorkshire (I think).

Is it? *checks online* Well, blimey, it is. Another thing I've been getting wrong for years.

Not quite up there with me getting my gander up the other day, but still.
    Scott_P said:

It is a sign of just how badly Wee Eck misjudged the moment that instead of celebrating Andy's historic win, many, many people are debating just how big an arse Alex Salmond is.

Epic Fail.

It would be exquisite if a Scottish golfer won at Muirfield.

Surely it's only a matter of time before Dan Hodges tells us Murray winning is bad for Ed Milliband?

Of course. The real game will be figuring out how he thinks it will be bad for Ed M.

On the face of it, it's a handy distraction for Ed M, so I think Dan will say it is bad for him because of that disraction, which will allow him to skirt recent issues and not sort out problems within the Labour party which will cost them at election.
    Max Edinburgh - You can get a full list of Romney's celeb backers here http://www.aboutmittromney.com/celebrities.htm

Musicians 1. Kid Rock, 2. Lynyrd Skynyrd, 3. Aerosmith's Joe Perry, 4. Avenged Sevenfold, 5. Beach Boys, 6. Charlie Daniels, 7. Sammy Hagar, 10. Dave Mustaine, 11. Styx, 12. Gene Simmons, 13. Alabama, 14. Ted Nugent, 15. Meatloaf, 16. Rush, 17. Bobby Steele, 18. LL Cool J, 19. Chad Sexton, 20. Dave Smalley, 21. Joe Escalante, 22. Michale Graves, 23. Shawnee Smith, 24. Brad Whitford.”

Hollywood “Kelsey Grammer, Chuck Norris, Andy Garcia, Jon Voight, Patricia Heaton, Dean Cain, James Caan, Sylvester Stallone, Tom Selleck, Gary Sinese, James Woods, Erik Estrada, and Lorenzo Lamas are endorsing Romney.
    “Other Hollywood types include Jerry Bruckheimer, David Zucker, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Jon Cryer, Victoria Jackson, Angie Harmon, Gerald McRaney, Heidi Montag, Connie Stevens, Joe Eszterhas, Powers Booth, Scott Biao, and John Ratzenberger...
    “Also, in the music field on the Romney Revolution are Kelly Clarkson, Donny and Marie Osmond, Charlie Daniels, Ted Nugent, Lee Greenwood, John Rich, Daddy Yankee, John Ondrasik, Joe Perry, Hank Williams Jr., Gretchen Wilson, Gene Simmons, and Randy Owen from Alabama...
    “Other comedians endorsing Romney include Dennis Miller, Drew Carey, Adam Sandler, and Adam Carolla.”

Sports stars included Jack Nicklaus and Rickie Fowler, Jim Courier and a whole host of winter Olympians and baseball and American football players,. Oh and he won Hulk Hogan too.

Romney did quite well for a non-incumbent Republican with celeb endorsements in 2012 but still did not win

It would be exquisite if a Scottish golfer won at Muirfield.

I suppose we should be impressed Eck agreed to turn up at an all male sporting event...

Note to creepy stalker; that's a joke. Calm down.

@acarmichaelmp
    Dear Wimbledon, Thank you for looking after the FM today. Next year, can you please search him more carefully? Yours, Scotland #cringe
    I guess we should stoke the fire the other way:

Cameron: It was an amazing performance from Andy Murray, but also an amazing day for British tennis and for Britain. He never gave up and it was magnificent.

Not a great day for Scotland, Mr Cameron, just Britain? You just cannot wait to marginalize them can you?

Would have been better if he had said 'United Kingdom', as he can always point out Britain the island will always include Scotland, independent realm or not.
  • HYUFD said:

Max Edinburgh - You can get a full list of Romney's celeb backers here http://www.aboutmittromney.com/celebrities.htm

Musicians 1. Kid Rock, 2. Lynyrd Skynyrd, 3. Aerosmith's Joe Perry, 4. Avenged Sevenfold, 5. Beach Boys, 6. Charlie Daniels, 7. Sammy Hagar, 10. Dave Mustaine, 11. Styx, 12. Gene Simmons, 13. Alabama, 14. Ted Nugent, 15. Meatloaf, 16. Rush, 17. Bobby Steele, 18. LL Cool J, 19. Chad Sexton, 20. Dave Smalley, 21. Joe Escalante, 22. Michale Graves, 23. Shawnee Smith, 24. Brad Whitford.”

Hollywood “Kelsey Grammer, Chuck Norris, Andy Garcia, Jon Voight, Patricia Heaton, Dean Cain, James Caan, Sylvester Stallone, Tom Selleck, Gary Sinese, James Woods, Erik Estrada, and Lorenzo Lamas are endorsing Romney.
    “Other Hollywood types include Jerry Bruckheimer, David Zucker, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Jon Cryer, Victoria Jackson, Angie Harmon, Gerald McRaney, Heidi Montag, Connie Stevens, Joe Eszterhas, Powers Booth, Scott Biao, and John Ratzenberger...
    “Also, in the music field on the Romney Revolution are Kelly Clarkson, Donny and Marie Osmond, Charlie Daniels, Ted Nugent, Lee Greenwood, John Rich, Daddy Yankee, John Ondrasik, Joe Perry, Hank Williams Jr., Gretchen Wilson, Gene Simmons, and Randy Owen from Alabama...
    “Other comedians endorsing Romney include Dennis Miller, Drew Carey, Adam Sandler, and Adam Carolla.”

Sports stars included Jack Nicklaus and Rickie Fowler, Jim Courier and a whole host of winter Olympians and baseball and American football players,. Oh and he won Hulk Hogan too.

Romney did quite well for a non-incumbent Republican with celeb endorsements in 2012 but still did not win

HYUFD said:

Do we know who Drenge are backing yet?
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Superb performance by Andy Murray today, still cannot believe he beat Djokovic in three sets in that final. Also thought that Djokovic was a true sportsman in his post match interview on centre court. Andy was hugging that Wimbledon trophy tightly after he was awarded it, so he better not let it go next year. No pressure mind. :) Murray for SPOTY after winning Olympic Gold, the US Open and now Wimbledon.

And the silly misjudged political stunt of the day goes to Alex Salmond, he just cannot help himself
    Max - Agree, JohnO, I would be surprised if Murray makes a comment either way, another of his big supporters, Sir Alex Ferguson, is strongly pro-Union
    Scott P - Clearly the NY Times has rapidly changed the title to 'Briton rules' and noted Murray is a Scot
  • fitalass said:

Superb performance by Andy Murray today, still cannot believe he beat Djokovic in three sets in that final. Also thought that Djokovic was a true sportsman in his post match interview on centre court. Andy was hugging that Wimbledon trophy tightly after he was awarded it, so he better not let it go next year. No pressure mind. :) Murray for SPOTY after winning Olympic Gold, the US Open and now Wimbledon.

And the silly misjudged political stunt of the day goes to Alex Salmond, he just cannot help himself

Djokovic showed a great deal of class, I think he appreciated, and captured, the mood perfectly.
    Andy Murray's achievement was personal. Claiming him on grounds of nationality (whether for Scotland or for Britain) is ultimately a bit silly.
    kle4 said:

Cameron: It was an amazing performance from Andy Murray, but also an amazing day for British tennis and for Britain. He never gave up and it was magnificent.

Not a great day for Scotland, Mr Cameron, just Britain? You just cannot wait to marginalize them can you?

Would have been better if he had said 'United Kingdom', as he can always point out Britain the island will always include Scotland, independent realm or not.

Last time I checked Scotland was a part of Britain.

edited July 2013
    antifrank said:

Andy Murray's achievement was personal. Claiming him on grounds of nationality (whether for Scotland or for Britain) is ultimately a bit silly.

It always is a bit with Tennis, far less nationalistic than most sports

Anyway, must be off. Play nice, everyone.

• HYUFD said:

Max - Agree, JohnO, I would be surprised if Murray makes a comment either way, another of his big supporters, Sir Alex Ferguson, is strongly pro-Union

The Krankies, however, remain suspiciously quiet on the constitutional question. If they come out for the "Yes" side they still have hope.

Awkward political phrase of the day

@politicshome
    Labour Vice Chair @MichaelDugherMP says @Ed_Miliband "stood up very very hard for the Labour party" over the Unite-Falkirk allegations.

Mind bleach
    edited July 2013
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Last time I checked Scotland was a part of Britain.

I think you may have missed that your comment was the exact point of my last paragraph - that Cameron's words could not, in the future but implied also for now as the situation would be the same, be easily construed as offensive to Scots nats, but that given how ridiculous people have been in attack and defence of Salmond on this issue, my example had probably been used by someone genuinely, and that if Cameron had said UK, it would have been much easier to get faux-offended.
    kle4 said:

I think you may have missed that your comment was the exact point of my last paragraph - that Cameron's words could not, in the future but implied also for now as the situation would be the same, be easily construed as offensive to Scots nats, but that given how ridiculous people have been in attack and defence of Salmond on this issue, my example had probably been used by someone genuinely.

Ah, I see your point. Apologies.
    Max - I thought Salmond was in the Krankies!
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

I think you may have missed that your comment was the exact point of my last paragraph - that Cameron's words could not, in the future but implied also for now as the situation would be the same, be easily construed as offensive to Scots nats, but that given how ridiculous people have been in attack and defence of Salmond on this issue, my example had probably been used by someone genuinely.

Ah, I see your point. Apologies.
    Eh, if I could count the number of times I missed a fake point for a real one, It'd be somewhere between 10 and 20.

I think there's a rule that says any parody of a political view is indistinguishable from the genuine view of someone out there.

Night all.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    Next said:

How many years did we have to wait?

What a great day for celebration.

After all this time.

Finally.

Abu Qatada was deported.

According to his father, he should be free in a few days.

I don't know enough about it to express an opinion, but if he is ..........????
    Max - well they were not overjoyed with Watson's recommendation
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23212932
    Pretty sure he's out for good. The Home Secretary can just ban him from entering at her discretion. Of course, that is assuming the border people spot him and stop him!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good evening, everyone.

Great victory. I must say, I found it pretty surprising given recent history, but it was a thrilling climax to a brilliant sporting occasion.

Yes, Raikkonen did indeed finish on the podium.

Not only that, Mr. Putney had a stellar day, with Webber not getting a podium finish and Grosjean being top 6. Oh, and a safety car appeared.

Maybe I should get him to write a few race pieces.

Anyway, the post-race piece will be going up tomorrow. Too tired to write it today, and I want to watch Top Gear and The Walking Dead.

Huzzah for Andy Murray!
This discussion has been closed.