Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lynton Crosby way of squeezing UKIP could end up reinfo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lynton Crosby way of squeezing UKIP could end up reinforcing LD switchers to LAB

The excellent Miranda Green Tweeted the above during BBC1′s Sunday Politics yesterday and my immediate reaction was that she was right and this form of rhetoric would work very effectively at GE2015 squeezing the UKIP vote and moving it to the Tories.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    First.

But just to understand: if the Tories lose it's because Crosby screwed up. If the Tories win, it's because he's good at dogwhistles.

Poor guy just can't win, can he!

(OGH - or possibly rcs - the site crashes my blackberry whenever I try to load it while travelling. Should I just through the thing away and get a piece of kit that works, or is there a fix en route? Error message is that the site is too large to load)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    @Charles
    I am counting down the days until our current contract expires so I can get rid of my blackberry. One of my kids gave me a rubber version at Christmas so I could throw it against walls etc, Gordon Brown style.

On topic it does seem to me that Crosby is bringing a focus and consistency to the tory message which was not there before. Cameron too seems more interested in party unity and giving Labour a good kicking than he was in the first half of this Parliament when he almost seemed to prefer the company of lib dems.

Although Lib Dem switchers have become something of an obsession on PB, not least because of the polling, we should not lose sight of the fact that there are probably an increasing number of floating voters who are up for grabs. Voters are not as tribal as they used to be, some even vote differently from their parents. I think electoral support is more volatile and that overly focussing on specific groups may be a bit old fashioned.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited July 2013
    Has this been mentioned before? The field work is a month old and only 850ish polled. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23221563

So to get the opinions of more than 800 Conservative members - as opposed to supporters - is a rare treat. YouGov identified the members from its previous polling work and it surveyed them between 31 May and 11 June. The survey was carried out by YouGov for Professor Tim Bale of Queen Mary, University of London and Professor Paul Webb from Sussex University and co-funded by the McDougall Trust.
    Startling results

Opinion pollsters tend to want a sample of at least 1,000 people to reflect the mood of millions of people around the country. So we can be pretty confident that a survey of more than 800 grassroots Tories will give us an accurate reflection of the views of the estimated 100,000-plus Conservative party members nationally gives the survey added weight.

They show that 19% - almost one in five - of Conservative members are seriously considering voting for UKIP.

More than half - 53% - feel they are not respected by the Tory leadership.

They are growing less active, with 44% saying they spend no time on party activity in an average month.

And they are pessimistic about the future, with only 19% believing the party will win an overall majority at the election.

They were asked to express their views by choosing a number from zero to ten. Zero meant they would never consider voting for UKIP. Ten meant they would definitely vote or consider voting for UKIP.

Only 33% said they would never consider voting UKIP.

The rest were spread pretty evenly across the scale. But 19% of the members ticked eight, nine or ten, showing they were seriously considering voting UKIP.

The party members were asked how much time they spend on party activity in an average month, including campaigning, meetings and social events. Some 44% said none; 30% said just five hours.

Now in some ways this reflects the fact that all parties have large numbers of members who just pay their subs and never do a thing...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Vote Farage get McLusky ?
  • Options
    I too have had no end of trouble with getting onto pb with my new lap top.
    In the UK, Chrome wouldn't connect, Firefox was fine. In Ljubljana it has been the reverse with Firefox telling me that there was 'no site configured to that address'. At one point yesterday I was reduced to using IE. This morning every browser is working peachy.
    I guess it may be a Windows 8 thingy.
    Charles said:

(OGH - or possibly rcs - the site crashes my blackberry whenever I try to load it while travelling. Should I just through the thing away and get a piece of kit that works, or is there a fix en route? Error message is that the site is too large to load)

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    - "this is a fight for a Tory or Labour government"

That is a very simple message that has worked extremely well for decades. For the Labour Party.

Rather than trying to scare voters, it would be nice if the Tories could try something novel. Like being a decent, competent government, run by pleasant, reasonable, grounded and likeable people.

Just a suggestion.
  • Options

That is a very simple message that has worked extremely well for decades. For the Labour Party.

Rather than trying to scare voters, it would be nice if the Tories could try something novel. Like being a decent, competent government, run by pleasant, reasonable, grounded and likeable people.

Just a suggestion.

But I think that is exactly what they will do.

To the centre ground (not the LD Lab defectors because they're fairly left wing) they are a competent/decent government run by likeable folks.

To UKIP voters: the government may not be as "traditionalist" as you like, but it's a darn sight better than the alternative.

I don't think those messages are incompatible.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I never thought a very wee glass of Mrs Jack W's home made elderflower and ginger wine could have such an effect on a late Sunday afternoon.
  • Options
    More good news on the economy as confidence increases: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10165392/Confidence-in-Britains-economy-at-fresh-high.html

The key for me is the tories converting the almost daily better economic news into votes and support. This is not a given. Clarke did a brilliant job in the years up to 97 and the tories got hammered.

The key is to emphasise success and fragility with Labour being a risk that we simply cannot afford to take. I think this is the number one message for the election and even Labour's somewhat hilarious attempts at hari kari should not be allowed to deflect the tories from it.

On the plus side for the tories Ed and Ed are no Blair and Brown. The latter were some of the more effective and plausible liars in our recent history. One of the reasons for that was the disciplined on message repetition of the same themes. Miliband tries a different theme in each speech in the hope that something sticks and Balls is in the process of abandoning all his previous positions. Not easy by any means but the tories are in the game here.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I never thought a very wee glass of Mrs Jack W's home made elderflower and ginger wine could have such an effect on a late Sunday afternoon.

Blame the heat... ;-)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It is hardly a surprise. the next govt will have either Labour or Conservatives in power, either with a majority or as the largest party in a hung parliament. It is a statement of the obvious.

It is not yet clear how the LibDems plan to campaign, but a left leaning campaign implicitly looking for a LibLab coalition will be a tricky one. How do you plausibly campaign against your own record in govt?

UKIP will have a lot of publicity for the Euros next year, but are a more reasonable target for the Tory campaign to woo.

Miliband has not exactly distinguished himself this week, and is going to struggle to campaign as a leader of a coherent party.

I may not like Crosby much, but he does bring some needed focus to the party.

Just a suggestion.

• Options
    If EdM actually managed to change via whatever the mechanism for Labour voting union members to donate directly to Labour/become party folk - that'd be very significant.

And of course it would allow those who didn't support Labour to more clearly withhold their dues or potentially pay them elsewhere.

Tomorrow is apparently Big Announcement Day for this - let's see.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Polls have shown education to be important to LibDems, so it will be interesting to see the reaction to the revised national curriculum.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23222068

It will be interesting to see if Labour opposes any specific changes, or continues with the line that the curriculum should be revised by experts in a subject, not politicians.

In passing, is it significant that the Prime Minister is quoted above the Education Secretary? Has Crosby identified this as a vote-winner?

Certainly there is a good deal of politics here. Not least the continuing clash of Gove's two policies: localism -- academies and free schools are not bound by the national curriculum; and centralism -- Michael Gove's desk is the largest LEA in the country.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Blame the heat... ;-)
    Oh .... and the small matter of a bit of grass court activity down SW19 way .... and subsequent imbibing on what some might consider an industrial scale !!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Charles said:

To the centre ground (not the LD Lab defectors because they're fairly left wing) they are a competent/decent government run by likeable folks.

On you first point: are they not leaving it a bit late in the day?

On your second, do you have any evidence for that?

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2013
    @Stuart

"Rather than trying to scare voters, it would be nice if the Tories could try something novel. Like being a decent, competent government, run by pleasant, reasonable, grounded and likeable people."

You've hit the nail on the head Stuart. Labour owe Maggie a big vote of thanks for turning her Party from the natural party of government to the one you describe.

You just can't make an elephant fly.....

(Stuart. How's your young MP Ian doing?)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

More good news on the economy as confidence increases: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10165392/Confidence-in-Britains-economy-at-fresh-high.html

The key for me is the tories converting the almost daily better economic news into votes and support. This is not a given. Clarke did a brilliant job in the years up to 97 and the tories got hammered.

What you call Clarke's brilliant job was largely a result of our forced departure from the ERM and the total collapse of the government's economic policy which had been enthusiastically supported by the Europhile Ken Clarke.

But the Conservatives might still win if Osborne has been a better master strategist than Chancellor. Osborne's front-loaded austerity meant that our economic position is now worse than it would have been if he'd budgeted for growth. We can see that by comparing our position with America's, since our performance was quite similar until Osborne entered Number 11.

Krugman was right. Balls was right. Cable was right.

But by 2015, the economy should be in an upswing. And Miliband has made the mistake of listening to the Blairites, so the paradoxical economic case that we need to invest for growth was not made. 2015 might be too late to make it.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Charles said:

First.

But just to understand: if the Tories lose it's because Crosby screwed up. If the Tories win, it's because he's good at dogwhistles.

Crosby is an odious piece of work - we'd all be better off without his nasty little dog whistles

• Options
    DavidL said:

On the plus side for the tories Ed and Ed are no Blair and Brown. The latter were some of the more effective and plausible liars in our recent history. One of the reasons for that was the disciplined on message repetition of the same themes. Miliband tries a different theme in each speech in the hope that something sticks and Balls is in the process of abandoning all his previous positions. Not easy by any means but the tories are in the game here.

Agreed.

For the first time in ages, since late 2010, it is starting to look like another Tory government is possible, perhaps even likely, after 2015. I am fascinated to see how that is going to play in Scotland. Can Lamont & Co scare the Scots electorate back into the SLab fold for the umpteenth time? Or have they cried wolf once too often?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @Roger

"You just can't make an elephant fly..... "

You Dumbo, Roger !!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Polls have shown education to be important to LibDems, so it will be interesting to see the reaction to the revised national curriculum.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23222068

It will be interesting to see if Labour opposes any specific changes, or continues with the line that the curriculum should be revised by experts in a subject, not politicians.

In passing, is it significant that the Prime Minister is quoted above the Education Secretary? Has Crosby identified this as a vote-winner?

Certainly there is a good deal of politics here. Not least the continuing clash of Gove's two policies: localism -- academies and free schools are not bound by the national curriculum; and centralism -- Michael Gove's desk is the largest LEA in the country.

It all depends on what you consider to be the best in the world. Asian systems tend to cram kids full of facts, but are very formal and rigid; the European/American approach has tended to focus much more on encouraging creative thought. If we want to produce entrepreneurs and innovators, kids have to have time to use their imaginations. Too much formal learning, a la Shanghai and Singapore, and they won't get it.

• Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    Bobajob said:

Charles said:

First.

Crosby is an odious piece of work - we'd all be better off without his nasty little dog whistles

Does he want to 'make the white folks angry'?
  • Options

Charles said:

On you first point: are they not leaving it a bit late in the day?

On your second, do you have any evidence for that?

On the first point, last year was terrible (although mostly it was presentation/mischief making by the press but it fed a perception).

On the second point, likeability is always a perception thing. Personally I suspect that Cameron is an utter sh1t, and my wife really doesn't like Sam, but I think he comes across as likeable/decent. For a politician.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

DavidL said:

Agreed.

For the first time in ages, since late 2010, it is starting to look like another Tory government is possible, perhaps even likely, after 2015. I am fascinated to see how that is going to play in Scotland. Can Lamont & Co scare the Scots electorate back into the SLab fold for the umpteenth time? Or have they cried wolf once too often?

It is obviously in the SNP's interests to talk up the chances of a Tory victory in 2015. They'll no doubt do it relentlessly between now and the independence vote as that probably represents one of their best chances of winning. Labour will only start should Scotland vote No.

• Options
    tim said:

Not least the continuing clash of Gove's two policies: localism -- academies and free schools are not bound by the national curriculum; and centralism -- Michael Gove's desk is the largest LEA in the country.

I thought Gove was determined to prevent new schools opening that the national curriculum applies to, and is obsessed with tiny Free Schools under his direct control, or academies which don't have to teach it.

Like many on the right, Michael Gove is a former Marxist. In his case, Groucho -- if we do not like Gove's principles on Whitehall diktat, don't worry, he has others.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Agreed.

There is no question that a well based and solid tory revival is the biggest risk factor in the Independence referendum. I can't think of anything else that is likely to get Scotland to vote yes but that might.

My other worry as a Unionist is the state of Scottish Labour. They should be the bulwark of the no campaign but they seem to be falling apart. I have been amused by your comments reporting Ms Lamont as a missing person over Falkirk but also concerned. Complacancy and incompetence, it is a heady brew in Scottish Labour. They took Scotland for granted for too long.

• Options

Labour will only start should Scotland vote No.

Partly correct.

Scottish Labour would only start then. But UK Labour cannot afford to wait that long.

That is one of the most fun aspects of the entire IndyRef campaign, watching the Scottish and English parts of the Tory, Labour and LD parties squirm as they try to deliver different messages to the Scottish and English electorates. Nigh on impossible in the internet age of course.

• Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited July 2013
    Plato said:

Has this been mentioned before? The field work is a month old and only 850ish polled. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23221563

A survey of conservative members revealed:

They show that 19% - almost one in five - of Conservative members are seriously considering voting for UKIP.

They were asked to express their views by choosing a number from zero to ten. Zero meant they would never consider voting for UKIP. Ten meant they would definitely vote or consider voting for UKIP.

The rest were spread pretty evenly across the scale. But 19% of the members ticked eight, nine or ten, showing they were seriously considering voting UKIP.

Now in some ways this reflects the fact that all parties have large numbers of members who just pay their subs and never do a thing...

I draw a completely different conclusion. I think these numbers reflect how effective negative campaigning against UKIP has actually been. Without it, many more tory members would have a a warm feeling towards voting UKIP.

Cameron's problem with UKIP sympathisers is that he comes up with a completely unbelievable approach to an EU 're-negotiation', and then is disappointed that hardly anybody believes it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I can't think of anything else that is likely to get Scotland to vote yes but that might.

I can.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jun/03/england-win-world-cup-2014-bernstein

But that of course is a very long shot. England are currently priced at 25/1 for a 2014 win. But a man can live in hope.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    What makes everyone so sure that the so called 2010 LibDem switchers will bother to vote? Lots of 1992 Tory voters stayed at home in 1997 and didn't vote for Blair or Ashcroft.

I have long said that Alex Salmond's strongest card will be if by next September a Tory victory in 2015 looks likely he will try and scare the Scots into voting Yes. Frankly I am glad the Brownites are running their own so called pro-union campaign because the Scottish electorate think so highly of them in 2011 they did what all the experts had promised Tony Blair could not happen, they voted in a majority SNP government.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Watched the Sunday Politics on iplayer. Their councillors support the death penalty oh noes, the oiks won't vote for them now!

lolz
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed.

There is no question that a well based and solid tory revival is the biggest risk factor in the Independence referendum. I can't think of anything else that is likely to get Scotland to vote yes but that might.

My other worry as a Unionist is the state of Scottish Labour. They should be the bulwark of the no campaign but they seem to be falling apart. I have been amused by your comments reporting Ms Lamont as a missing person over Falkirk but also concerned. Complacancy and incompetence, it is a heady brew in Scottish Labour. They took Scotland for granted for too long.

I'm not too sure that the state of SLAB is that important to the referendum campaign. For many years Scottish voters have compartmentalized voting on issues and different types of election which is why the SNP rules at home but SLAB is dominant at Westminster.

The referendum campaign will come down to a combination of the effectiveness of both campaigns, the state of the economy, historical context and the most difficult to analyse - the gut feeling of the punters.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Having lived through 13 years of Blair/Brown and watched how my pension, savings and hopes for retirement went down the plughole as Gordon Brown destroyed the UK economy, I would rather see Scotland vote Yes and we get a new sort of centre-left or centre-right government (rising out of the SNP, Tories, LibDems and sensible parts of Labour) re-alignment running an independent Scotland with a strong Tory English government next door, than suffer in a UK run by Balls and Bland the Younger with Len McCluskie determining employment law.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Superpeter!

Getting 5 out of 6 bets right is just showing off. Fantastic weekend for Mr. Putney, my own race tip came off, as did one of Mr. Putney's I followed and a small sum on Lotus to top score. Splendid race all round.

http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/germany-post-race-analysis.html
  • Options

Plato said:

A survey of conservative members revealed:

I draw a completely different conclusion. I think these numbers reflect how effective negative campaigning against UKIP has actually been. Without it, many more tory members would have a a warm feeling towards voting UKIP.

Cameron's problem with UKIP sympathisers is that he comes up with a completely unbelievable approach to an EU 're-negotiation', and then is disappointed that hardly anybody believes it.
    Ok, so 81% believe an unbelievable message. So it must be down to dirty tricks.

Occam's razor suggest that 81% believe Cameron's message or are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    edited July 2013
    Wow what a weekend! Fair to say no one in the country cares about politics right now

How distant does the amazing lions victory seem. Chris Froome in yellow hardly seems to have got a mention. And that's without even mentioning the stunning weather.

Good old Andy Murray :-)
  • Options
    How 2010 LibDem voters behave this time round will be a big factor. It is hard to see how the LibDem campaign will go, other than vote for your local incumbent.

I suspect that a lot of the LibDem switchers are unenthused by Labours UNITE tendency, so a lot depends on how that works out..

What makes everyone so sure that the so called 2010 LibDem switchers will bother to vote? Lots of 1992 Tory voters stayed at home in 1997 and didn't vote for Blair or Ashcroft.

I have long said that Alex Salmond's strongest card will be if by next September a Tory victory in 2015 looks likely he will try and scare the Scots into voting Yes. Frankly I am glad the Brownites are running their own so called pro-union campaign because the Scottish electorate think so highly of them in 2011 they did what all the experts had promised Tony Blair could not happen, they voted in a majority SNP government.

• Options
    Murray looks shattered on the Beeb.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Mike Smithson.

Well done for calling out Dan Hodges again. Always wrong. Always always always.
  • Options
    'Nationalist who helped seize the Stone of Destiny dies'
    The only woman in the group of students who seized the Stone of Destiny from Westminster Abbey has died.

Kay Matheson became a nationalist icon after the heist on Christmas Day in 1950 and continued to believe strongly in Scottish independence until her death on Saturday, at the age of 84.

The Gaelic scholar passed away peacefully at the residential home on the shores of Loch Ewe where she had lived for 20 years.

First Minister Alex Salmond described her as "one of the giants of the SNP story".
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/nationalist-who-helped-seize-the-stone-of-destiny-dies.21550947
  • Options
    Maths is getting a pretty big kick up the arse.

"In a series of major changes, the new mathematics curriculum will place a greater emphasis on the basics at an early age to prepare pupils for more challenging subjects at a later stage.

In the first year of school, pupils will be expected to read and write numbers up to 100, count in multiples of ones, twos, fives and tens and learn a series of simple sums using addition and subtraction off by heart. Children will also be introduced to basic fractions such as ½ and ¼ at the age of five – a subject currently left until pupils are aged seven to 11 – and algebra will be taught at the age of 10.

Further changes include the requirement to learn 12 times tables by nine rather than an expectation that pupils will master tables up to 10x10 by the time they leave primary school at 11...

The document – to be introduced in English state schools from September 2014 – will cover all subjects including English, maths, science, foreign languages, history, geography, physical education, computing, design and technology, art and drama.

It is intended to emphasise the basic knowledge that pupils should know at each stage of their education – scrapping many of the “woolly” cross-curricular themes introduced by the last Labour government.

Ministers insisted it would benchmark lessons against those found in the world’s most advanced education systems, such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Finland and parts of the United States.

Among a series of changes:

• In English, pupils will be expected to spell a list of almost 240 advanced words by the end of primary school, master grammar and punctuation and read more novels, poems and plays in full, including Shakespeare;

• Science lessons will introduce pupils to evolution at primary school for the first time, increase the amount of practical and maths-based work and scrap “vague”, non-scientific topics such as caring for animals and societal context;

• In computing, pupils will be taught how to code and solve practical computer problems at 11 rather than using work processing packages.

But some of the biggest changes are made in maths where the calculation of fractions, volume and the area of shapes will be introduced much earlier.

At five, pupils will memorise and reason with “number bonds” up to 20 – allowing them to recognise and use sums such as 9+7=16 and 16-7=9 – tell the time and recognise and name 2-D and 3-D shapes.

From seven, pupils will recall and use the 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10 times tables, add and subtract amounts of money to give change using pounds and pence and add and subtract simple fractions with the same denominators... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10165307/Fractions-for-five-year-olds-in-rigorous-new-curriculum.html

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998

Labour will only start should Scotland vote No.

Partly correct.

Scottish Labour would only start then. But UK Labour cannot afford to wait that long.

That is one of the most fun aspects of the entire IndyRef campaign, watching the Scottish and English parts of the Tory, Labour and LD parties squirm as they try to deliver different messages to the Scottish and English electorates. Nigh on impossible in the internet age of course.
    Except parties have been doing that for years at a local level, as they deliver 'local' messages to the electorate. These are often contradictory with other lefalets from teh same party, or even central party policy.

You are also assuming that people in general put a lot of thought into the way they vote. Most will just blindly vote a certain way, whilst others will check the political stories as a way of reinforcing their views, for instance many people will read papers that reinforce, not challenge, their views.

Few will go on-line and obsessively check the latest political stories. Most on here are probably amongst that few, and then most of us will vote the way we were inclined to anyway.

A question: what has a bigger effect: people changing their votes (swing voters) or people not turning out for the election? I.e. is it more important to try to gain the swing voters, and potentially alienate the base, or to GOTV? There must be some figures.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I'm not too sure that the state of SLAB is that important to the referendum campaign. For many years Scottish voters have compartmentalized voting on issues and different types of election which is why the SNP rules at home but SLAB is dominant at Westminster.

The referendum campaign will come down to a combination of the effectiveness of both campaigns, the state of the economy, historical context and the most difficult to analyse - the gut feeling of the punters.

And we thought that Tim was good at squirrel spotting.

Jack, the state of SLAB is the elephant in the room. You know it, I know it, Alistair Darling knows it, everybody knows it.

• Options

How 2010 LibDem voters behave this time round will be a big factor. It is hard to see how the LibDem campaign will go, other than vote for your local incumbent.

I suspect that a lot of the LibDem switchers are unenthused by Labours UNITE tendency, so a lot depends on how that works out..

The incumbency factor is always important to the local LibDem campaigns.

IMHO in the 2015 GE campaign nationally, apart from their policy pledges, they will attempt to play the honest broker card as a brake on both Con and Lab but this time with the added factor of experience in government.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

'Nationalist who helped seize the Stone of Destiny dies'

The only woman in the group of students who seized the Stone of Destiny from Westminster Abbey has died.

Kay Matheson became a nationalist icon after the heist on Christmas Day in 1950 and continued to believe strongly in Scottish independence until her death on Saturday, at the age of 84.

The Gaelic scholar passed away peacefully at the residential home on the shores of Loch Ewe where she had lived for 20 years.

First Minister Alex Salmond described her as "one of the giants of the SNP story".
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/nationalist-who-helped-seize-the-stone-of-destiny-dies.21550947

I hadn't known that the bungling thieves managed to break the Stone of Destiny ;

" The stone had split in two and crashed to the floor at the height of the raid, breaking into two pieces. "

Thanks.
  • Options

JackW said:

And we thought that Tim was good at squirrel spotting.

Jack, the state of SLAB is the elephant in the room. You know it, I know it, Alistair Darling knows it, everybody knows it.

I'm sorry Stuart I fundamentally disagree.

The referendum will be the single most important decision for Scots to make in centuries. The state of SLAB isn't remotely important in that context. Governments come and go .... Salmond too eventually but nations aren't just for Christmas.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    You take your support where you find it. The Conservatives can't do anything to make left wing voters vote Lib Dem, rather than Labour. They may be able to gain from UKIP, and basing their argument around being the lesser of two evils is the way to do it. Millions of people vote Conservative for that reason.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
    edited July 2013

The stone had split in two

I love a good metaphor in the morning. Thanks.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed.

Jack, you have been away from your estate too long. The referendum will hinge on Labour voters voting YES. They are getting deeper and deeper into a mess, led by donkeys. If they continue this way ( copying Tory policy ) and there is a hint of Tories looking like winning the die will be cast.
  • Options
    Honest broker lays them open to the tuition fees pledge and tantrum over boundary changes.

Personally I think it unwise for any politician to pretend to be honest, or a straight sorta guy. It just gives hostages to fortune.

If they run a campaign advocating fiscal sanity, and a willingness to have coalition with either party should the numbers fall that way, then they are likely to get my vote.
    JackW said:

The incumbency factor is always important to the local LibDem campaigns.

IMHO in the 2015 GE campaign nationally, apart from their policy pledges, they will attempt to play the honest broker card as a brake on both Con and Lab but this time with the added factor of experience in government.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

You take your support where you find it. The Conservatives can't do anything to make left wing voters vote Lib Dem, rather than Labour. They may be able to gain from UKIP, and basing their argument around being the lesser of two evils is the way to do it. Millions of people vote Conservative for that reason.

Chris Grayling yesterday and Theresa May's statements make it pretty clear that they're intending to take a no-nonsense approach to immigration et al - particularly relating to the ECHR. More details announced at the conf according to the article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10165307/Fractions-for-five-year-olds-in-rigorous-new-curriculum.html
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed.

I don't think that a Conservative victory will look like a certainty in October 2014.

• Options

DavidL said:

I can't think of anything else that is likely to get Scotland to vote yes but that might.

I can.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jun/03/england-win-world-cup-2014-bernstein

But that of course is a very long shot. England are currently priced at 25/1 for a 2014 win. But a man can live in hope.

Poor bet at 25/1 given their track record , might be worth a punt if over 100/1.
  • Options

Yes, it is a good metaphor. There was something ancient and historic, then idiots come along and break it into two.

Perfect. :-)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Morning all.

FPT I see that the wine in the Dolomites was free-flowing last night. It would help, SeanT, when laying into someone if you could use direct quotations rather than just making them up to suit your argument (I suppose you did that because the original post that irked you was addressing a separate point, which might have given you a clue that I don't actually believe what you attribute me with believing). That's fairly f*cking cretinous.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    More trailers from Team EdM - sounds like EdM wants it both ways which is fair enough - but is it going to solve the problems? I suspect a fudge is imminent, we've had several of those before that didn't resolve anything much.

Thousands of voters would be handed the chance to choose Labour’s election candidates under a plan being drawn up to stem the influence of the Unite union over the party...His aides have come to the conclusion that Labour’s historical link to Britain’s main unions is not at the root of the party’s troubles and must be safeguarded.

The so-called “block vote”, which gives the unions influence over policies at Labour’s conferences, will also be protected. However, they have concluded that an open campaign by Unite to install its own Labour candidates cannot be tolerated... In a speech tomorrow, Mr Miliband will announce a new cap on the amount of money that can be spent by anyone hoping to become a Labour election candidate, and he will unveil a new code of conduct that prospective candidates have to sign.

He will also outline what his team billed as reforms designed to deal with Labour candidate selections and create a direct link between ordinary workers and the party. That could involve open primaries. It could also involve handing Labour membership to all union members who choose to pay the “political levy”, which funds Labour. Both reforms would help to dilute the power of Len McCluskey, the general secretary of Unite... http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article3810621.ece
  • Options

Yes, it is a good metaphor. There was something ancient and historic, then idiots come along and break it into two.

You forgot to add the fact that it had been stolen and they were only trying to retrieve stolen property.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    OT, Rudd still bouncing:
    http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/morgan-poll-july-8-2013-201307080647

ALP 54.5% (up 3%)
    L-NP 45.5% (down 3%)
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    @charles

I also have a problem with my blackberry on the main site.

Instead I use the backend site : politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com with javascript unenabled in my blackberry settings. This seems to work fine.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You forgot to add the fact that it had been stolen and they were only trying to retrieve stolen property.
    'Stolen' (actually spoils of war) nearly 700 years ago. And the people who stole it in 1950 were not the rightful owners.

If someone has stolen something from someone else, it does not give me the right to steal it off them.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    English nationalism study shows unsurprisingly that its growing too in response to Scottish devolution/perceived unfairness http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article3810786.ece.

"The Future of England survey by the IPPR think-tank and Cardiff and Edinburgh universities has found that while people in England have a dual identity — British and English — they are becoming more likely to prioritise the English one...

The study concluded that there was a substantial strain of English opinion that would like the UK to withdraw from the EU and supports giving England greater recognition in Britain’s constitutional arrangements. The report argues that the main political parties have not done enough to address the rise of English nationhood. The numbers who believe UKIP is the party best placed to “stand up for English interests” doubled between 2011 and 2013...

Overall, 43 per cent of the English believe that Britain’s membership of the EU is a bad thing, compared with 28 per cent who say it is a good thing. Half say they would vote to leave the EU in a referendum, compared to 33 per cent who say they would opt to stay in. Of those who consider themselves more “English” than British 58 per cent would vote to leave the EU.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed.

Jack, you have been away from your estate too long. The referendum will hinge on Labour voters voting YES. They are getting deeper and deeper into a mess, led by donkeys. If they continue this way ( copying Tory policy ) and there is a hint of Tories looking like winning the die will be cast.
    We'll see what the next rounds of referendum polling shows in the coming months. However my view is very clearly that Scottish voters will not determine their future as a nation on the basis of the Falkirk shambles.

• Options
    On topic, the solution is for the Tories to take right-wing positions that the LibDems can publicly oppose from the left, so both sides get to whistle at their respective constituencies. Ideally they'll both blow so loudly on their respective whistles that nobody will be able to hear whatever instrument Ed Miliband is playing.

This can only really be positioning rather than actual workable policy, but that also works out well, because the right-wing positions the Tories need to take up to impress UKIP-curious voters tend not to be produce any meaningful, practical policy within the limitations the Tories have set themselves (like staying in the EU and the ECHR).
  • Options

@charles

I also have a problem with my blackberry on the main site.

Instead I use the backend site : politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com with javascript unenabled in my blackberry settings. This seems to work fine.

I've recently changed to a Samsung Galaxy and it's been excellent. I'd highly recommend it.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    "I wonder whether the current CON obsession with the seepage of support to UKIP is blinding them to the bigger picture." MS

It's no longer a seepage Mike, its more like a bubbling brook. We hope as time goes by it will become a river.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    tim said:

Do the PB Tories support the state funding of open primaries as promised in the coalition or did they go off the idea as a result of Sarah Wollastons opposition to Lansleys first attempt at a health bill, as Cameron did?

I'm a very strong supporter of open primaries - we had one and it was hugely successful (albeit the decision was taken at a meeting attended by several hundred residents rather than postal ballot)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited July 2013
    Good morning all, trust you have all had your exercise on the gallops this beautiful morning.

As Tim nears 1,000 extra posts since June 17 (20 days), it is timely that we should assess the state of the runners in the:
    PB DATING STAKES - distance and age unlimited.

1ST is TIM on 5,510.
    So why does he post so much - the desperation of a love-sick and lonely person? Ah! his avatar provides the clue. All his love is for DAVE - but it is an unrequited love - so Tim must view his one true love from a distance (on his knees) as under-housemaid at No. 10.

CHASING HARD are:
    CarlottaV 2,327
    Plato 2,155
    TSE 2,063
    MickPork 1,973
    AveryLP 1,819
    TGOHF 1,815

Not short of experience among these fillies and stallions - but lack of progress. Waiting for new blood to join them? - as no news of any dalliances among this frisky six.

NOT MAKING UP ENOUGH GROUND:
    MorrisD 1,473
    Alanbrooke 1,457
    SunilP 1,430
    SObserver 1,350
    Charles 1,282
    Neil 1,232
    RichardN 1,095
    Andrea P 1,044

These eight are trying hard but can get distracted by F1, railways, Italian politicians and other bloodstock lines. Focus or use distraction methods on those in front (will leave that to your imagination).

UNBROKEN NEW BLOOD
    SeanT 988
    Mike K 982
    DavidL 945
    Antifrank 925
    JosiasJessop 836
    Mr Jones 805
    HYUFD 758
    Foxinsoxuk 738
    Scott_P 736
    Making good efforts, but too much travel to foreign meets and dalliances with those dastardly foreigners. More rigorous training required.

THE OLD ROUES
    JackW 557
    ROGER 435
    MIKE S 424
    JackW has put on a recent spurt - escaped your nurse or the sap rising in Jacobite blood? Roger and MikeS seem to have sampled too many foreign delights. Recommend gelding all round to improve performance.

Apologies as usual for any omissions or Vanilla feed problems.

• Options
    Open primaries have to be the way to go for all parties. Political parties have to learn to trust the public, because the public won't start trusting them until they do.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    MikeK said:

"I wonder whether the current CON obsession with the seepage of support to UKIP is blinding them to the bigger picture." MS

It's no longer a seepage Mike, its more like a bubbling brook. We hope as time goes by it will become a river.

Yet polling is showing that the high water mark [to ape your metaphor] is receding.

I find the Kipper's rise most interesting as a casual observer - but I suspect that as the Tories start to take the fight more seriously than they have - UKIP will decline as they're picked off by a more proactive attitude by the main two.

There are of course a hard core of Kippers who have very strong views on things and won't be deflected. They are probably just as energised as hard core LDs - unfortunately for now, UKIP have no Westminster powerbase and a tiny fraction of one at a local level. I suspect that they will be overtaken by events before they ever get as far as the LDs did - even at their lowest ebb.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Sean_F said:

I don't think that a Conservative victory will look like a certainty in October 2014.

It doesn't need to be a certainty Sean. After all, no election is ever a certainty in a democracy. Or at least not 9 months before polling day.

A good probability will do: an awful lot closer to EVS than today's 4/1 on CON MAJ.

(By the way, it is September, not October. We are closer than you think.)

• Options
    "THE OLD ROUES
    JackW 557
    ROGER 435
    MIKE S 424
    JackW has put on a recent spurt - escaped your nurse or the sap rising in Jacobite blood? Roger and MikeS seem to have sampled too many foreign delights. Recommend gelding all round to improve performance."

They'll be not much of a "spurt" if I get "gelded"

OUCH !!
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,814
    antifrank said:

Open primaries have to be the way to go for all parties. Political parties have to learn to trust the public, because the public won't start trusting them until they do.

I like the USA system where people can register as a supporter of a party or as an independent, and independents and supporters of a particular party get to vote in that party's primaries.

• Options
    Financier said:

Good morning all, trust you have all had your exercise on the gallops this beautiful morning...

LOL - a belly laugh of one before 9am too!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

There is of course the argument that the local association then loses its most important stake - the ability to choose the candidate.

These are the folk who do the lion's share of campaigning - and are de-enfranchised at this crucial point. If they choose the shortlist that may ameliorate things - but I can see why they'd be hostile to this change.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Plato said:

Financier said:

Good morning all, trust you have all had your exercise on the gallops this beautiful morning...

LOL - a belly laugh of one before 9am too!
    @Plato:

Must have head down at work now. However, a bit stiff this morning as had a gentle 10 mile trot yesterday along the sandy beach and though the incoming tide. A good massage is what is needed.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    One thing that is worth remembering is that many of the 2010 Lib Dems who now say they will vote Labour were probably previously Labour voters, who decided not to vote Labour, because of the accumulation of failings of the Labour government.

Is there not the potential for a clever message from the Tories simultaneously convincing both Tory-UKIP switchers and Lib Dem-Labour switchers that they really don't want a Labour government?

The opinion poll data tables do tend to suggest that many people who currently say they will vote Labour are distinctly underwhelmed by their competence for government.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

antifrank said:

I like the USA system where people can register as a supporter of a party or as an independent, and independents and supporters of a particular party get to vote in that party's primaries.

I think a return of the local nobility and gentry determining candidates is in order. Not too sure about rotten boroughs given the recent Falkirk experience.

On the positive side the winner of the Dunny-on-the-Wold by-election has recently been knighted - Sir Sodoff Baldrick

• Options
    tim said:

Do the PB Tories support the state funding of open primaries as promised in the coalition or did they go off the idea as a result of Sarah Wollastons opposition to Lansleys first attempt at a health bill, as Cameron did?

False choice.

I think open primaries have merit, but don't want them funded by the state.

Otherwise, why shouldn't I set up the "Charles Party" and seek funding from the state for primaries to select candidates called "Charles" for constituencies.

Very low administration costs, I promise.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    JackW said:

"THE OLD ROUES
    JackW 557
    ROGER 435
    MIKE S 424
    JackW has put on a recent spurt - escaped your nurse or the sap rising in Jacobite blood? Roger and MikeS seem to have sampled too many foreign delights. Recommend gelding all round to improve performance."

OUCH !!

You'd certainly be needing your white cockade at that point.

• Options
    Plato said:

MikeK said:

Yet polling is showing that the high water mark [to ape your metaphor] is receding.

I find the Kipper's rise most interesting as a casual observer - but I suspect that as the Tories start to take the fight more seriously than they have - UKIP will decline as they're picked off by a more proactive attitude by the main two.

There are of course a hard core of Kippers who have very strong views on things and won't be deflected. They are probably just as energised as hard core LDs - unfortunately for now, UKIP have no Westminster powerbase and a tiny fraction of one at a local level. I suspect that they will be overtaken by events before they ever get as far as the LDs did - even at their lowest ebb.
    UKIP should get another big bounce next year, at the time of the EU elections, and get plenty of new local councillors elected on the same day. But, they won't be much of a threat to the Conservatives this side of an election. Post-election, I think they could be an enormous threat to the Conservatives.

• Options
    antifrank said:

I agree with the policy, but I'm not convinced it would make people trust political parties. In the US politicians are consistently held in very low regard. Part of the problem is that they now have two contradictory constituencies they have to pretend to agree with, one for the primary and a different one for the general.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:

MikeK said:

UKIP should get another big bounce next year, at the time of the EU elections, and get plenty of new local councillors elected on the same day. But, they won't be much of a threat to the Conservatives this side of an election. Post-election, I think they could be an enormous threat to the Conservatives.

Mr Farage keeps alluding to his strategy to attack Old Labour voters - I'd be very interested to see how this pans out - fertile ground I suspect given the anecdotal feedback I've had from previous Labour voting friends and the results in places like South Shields...
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

"THE OLD ROUES
    JackW 557
    ROGER 435
    MIKE S 424

OUCH !!

You'd certainly be needing your white cockade at that point.

Oh err Missus !!

• Options
    Something I'd agree with - Gove who inspires hatred from LDs and Labour supporters is clearly making his mark because Tories love him.

"The funny thing about the new National Curriculum, published today, is that after all the fuss of the past few months, particularly over the history curriculum, it’s probably the last ever national plan from the government. As more and more schools convert to academy status, and more free schools pop up to compete with poorly-performing schools, there will be fewer and fewer who must conform to this: the rest have been given freedom to teach what they judge is best for their pupils. Michael Gove’s critics like to argue that he is a great centraliser, dictating the curriculum from Westminster while claiming to give schools freedom. But he only remains a centraliser where schools remain subject to centralisation and local authority control.

But today’s announcement gives the Conservatives a number of attack lines. The first is the inevitable ‘global race’ line, with the curriculum being sold as an attempt to bring this country’s school system into line with the best-performers in the world.

The second is that Michael Gove can argue that he is the parents’ champion, offering their children a rigorous education in the state system, with fractions being taught to five-year-olds. The contrast is Labour as the teachers’ champion. Stephen Twigg has said all schools would receive curriculum freedoms, which is all very well if all those schools ready for those freedoms. But it also means he doesn’t have to make the difficult decisions over what should be included, and he wouldn’t need to decide whether to change the history curriculum to cheer up the unions if Labour made it into government in 2015.

So it’s another example of weakness at the top of the Labour party: and one which the gleefully pugnacious Gove will almost certainly exploit." http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/07/new-curriculum-offers-political-points-to-tories/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=new-curriculum-offers-political-points-to-tories
  • Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

False choice.

I think open primaries have merit, but don't want them funded by the state.

Otherwise, why shouldn't I set up the "Charles Party" and seek funding from the state for primaries to select candidates called "Charles" for constituencies.

Very low administration costs, I promise.

It'd be a damn site more useful than blowing the cost of a General Election on the police commissioner farce and Cameron did promise it remember.
    If Ed Miliband announced open primaries that it would make a great response to all the Falkirk stuff, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

If Ed Miliband announced open primaries that it would make a great response to all the Falkirk stuff, wouldn't it?

And the likihood of this happening is zero. IIRC the only party that has tried this is the Tories - full blown postal version and got Dr Woolaston and in a couple of others with a show of hands at meetings.

They cost about £20k a pop from memory - so are a very expensive route to find a candidate.
  • Options
    @Plato Half the problem is that the constituency parties choose the candidates. Members of political parties are almost by definition half-crazed. The prospect of having to pander to the prejudices of maniacs must deter huge numbers of otherwise highly suitable candidates.
  • Options
    Weird. Just got retweeted a special offer on Journey to Altmortis which expired about 2 months ago. Hmm.

Incidentally, I'll be writing racing and betting mid-season reviews as per usual. Following some comments by Mr. Putney I'll post them both on the new blog and pb2, so that those who are unaware of the new blog but followed pb2 can discover its existence.

The tyres used for the rest of the season will debut in Hungary, and Germany cannot be taken as a new benchmark for qualifying/race performance.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'Stolen' (actually spoils of war) nearly 700 years ago. And the people who stole it in 1950 were not the rightful owners.

If someone has stolen something from someone else, it does not give me the right to steal it off them.
    They were not taking it for personal gain , their intention was to repatriate the stone, big difference.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed.

We'll see what the next rounds of referendum polling shows in the coming months. However my view is very clearly that Scottish voters will not determine their future as a nation on the basis of the Falkirk shambles.

Jack, agree on that but in Labour in general it will be down to labour supporters whether we get a YES or NO. Given current Labour performance they are in trouble even excluding Falkirk.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@Plato Half the problem is that the constituency parties choose the candidates. Members of political parties are almost by definition half-crazed. The prospect of having to pander to the prejudices of maniacs must deter huge numbers of otherwise highly suitable candidates.

I'm sure it does - but if the local association can't even choose their own person - what's in it for them? Nothing much. No party can expect their ground troops to give up their time and effort to campaign for someone they didn't pick or have a hand in doing so.

It's emotional not logical. If you can't invest personally in your campaign, you haven't got one.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Something I'd agree with - Gove who inspires hatred from LDs and Labour supporters is clearly making his mark because Tories love him.

"The funny thing about the new National Curriculum, published today, is that after all the fuss of the past few months, particularly over the history curriculum, it’s probably the last ever national plan from the government. As more and more schools convert to academy status, and more free schools pop up to compete with poorly-performing schools, there will be fewer and fewer who must conform to this: the rest have been given freedom to teach what they judge is best for their pupils. Michael Gove’s critics like to argue that he is a great centraliser, dictating the curriculum from Westminster while claiming to give schools freedom. But he only remains a centraliser where schools remain subject to centralisation and local authority control."

Which is it? If Gove's new curriculum is good, why not impose it everywhere? If it is so bad that Gove encourages schools to become exempt from it, then why impose it anywhere?

Is Gove a Machiavellian genius to rival master strategist George Osborne, deliberately handicapping LEA schools so his preferred free schools look better?

Or is the truth more mundane? That Gove has no overarching philosophy of education, but merely some incoherent and contradictory prejudices.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413

It all depends on what you consider to be the best in the world. Asian systems tend to cram kids full of facts, but are very formal and rigid; the European/American approach has tended to focus much more on encouraging creative thought. If we want to produce entrepreneurs and innovators, kids have to have time to use their imaginations. Too much formal learning, a la Shanghai and Singapore, and they won't get it.

A point you keep making, Southam. Just think, all those men and women of the past whose imagination and creativity were stymied by formal learning. People like Johann Sebastian Bach, Carl Friedrich Gauss, Mary Anne Evans, Albert Einstein, James Clerk Maxwell, Charles Darwin, Jane Austen, Honoré de Balzac - not an original thought or spark of creativity between them, all tragically snuffed out by formal learning.
  • Options
    If it was a spoil of war then it's not theirs to repatriate.

Unless you want everything taken in that manner ever to be done likewise. The Louvre would look rather empty.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On topic it does seem to me that Crosby is bringing a focus and consistency to the tory message which was not there before. Cameron too seems more interested in party unity and giving Labour a good kicking than he was in the first half of this Parliament when he almost seemed to prefer the company of lib dems.

That's to be expected as the election gets closer. You need a good working relationship and a willingness to compromise and deal with complexity to get things done, but lots of confrontation and clear, simple messaging to win an election.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

antifrank said:

Back in the dim and distant, (1973) when there was an Isle of Ely consituency the Tory MP died and the Liberal party, which had a long, but long ago, history in the constituency, decided to contest. They had a local candidate, but Party HQ decided to send down a "notable" to contest the nomination. There weren't, apparently, enough party members close to the hall where the hustings were to be held to make it look good, so a number of OAP's from the nearby Home were invited to "dress the house". The notable sent down was Clement Freud, who subsequently claimed that all the OAP's voted for him, since they'd seen him on "the telly" and all the party members voted for the local man. Freud subsequently held the seat for 14 years.
  • Options
    @DecrepitJohnL

"If Gove's new curriculum is good, why not impose it everywhere? If it is so bad that Gove encourages schools to become exempt from it, then why impose it anywhere?"

And therein lies the difference between those who are very keen on central control and those who aren't - Gove is framing a policy on what he'd like to see - but understands that there are other views and both are valid since they're simply opinions.

Gove doesn't want to control what teachers do or the syllabus they teach - but if he has to for those who are currently under his purview, this is his idea of *good*.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    @ DavidL 7:17

" converting the almost daily better economic news into votes and support. This is not a given. Clarke did a brilliant job in the years up to 97 and the tories got hammered."

The problem in 1997 surely was that the recovery was in spite, not because, of the Tories' economic policy? The one that entailed 15% interest rates and ERM membership.

That policy was blown out of the water by the City, essentially, in 1992.

The subsequent recovery was possible because the Tories had been forced to abandon their policy, and to follow another not of their choosing. The electorate noticed this and concluded, rightly IMO, that they deserved no credit; and in fact deserved to be punished for having been so demonstrably wrong.

• Options
    O/T Some rest day japery from Orica Greenedge, a great follow up to their 'call me maybe' lip dub at last year's Vuelta.
    Wonder if the po faced UCI will complain like last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAl1-mBhFpU&feature=youtu.be
This discussion has been closed.