Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just how strong is Momentum? Don Brind takes a sceptical lo

Comments

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

Tim Farron is a bit weirdly vehement isn't he

Had no idea the LibDems are having their conference until I saw your post :innocent:
  • Options
    @Alistair The debates are quite likely to prove very confusing because the two candidates will be trying to do very different things. Hillary Clinton will be trying to win a conventional political debate. Donald Trump will be trying to give a spellbinding theatrical performance.

Both might well succeed in their aims. But it is unclear which is going to be clinching in the ballot box.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    PlatoSaid said:

Eaten by spam

Great article from last year from Rod Liddle re Trump

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/will-donald-trump-last-laugh/

Yes interesting that he sees no good coming from a Trump presidency. He's right about that.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2016

Also worth noting that while individual member states don't have a veto on the deal, the European Parliament does.

Even that is not completely clear:

That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

What if they don't agree? And does the 'consent' have to be obtained right at the end (i.e. a veto on the final deal), or can the parliament 'consent' in general terms at an earlier stage?

It's a complete dog's breakfast, which is one significant risk in the whole Brexit process. We might end up crashing out in a chaotic fashion almost by accident.
  • Options

well lib dems really are just labour-lit now aren't they.

"Only one calorie, not Labour enough!"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,359
    edited September 2016
    Farron just said

'Liberal Democrats will raise taxes'

That's the Tory video clips for the next general election campaign sorted out.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

"Only one calorie, not Labour enough!"
    Too much sugar to be labour
  • Options

Farron just said

'Liberal Democrats will raise taxes'

That's the Tory video clips for the next general election campaign sorted out.

Indeed... 10bn a year is 2.5p on VAT.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    'For the record I now think it will be Momentum who will be cheering in Liverpool on Saturday. '

Don has all the credibility of Comical Ali, fighting American M1 tanks with his imaginary divisions. It's time for Don to take a very long nap in a very dark room.
  • Options

If the Libs got a decent, eye-catching leader (maybe by merging with the Labour moderates and going for Chuka etc) they would shoot up in the polls. Farron is just invisible. But lots of people have sympathy with the LD worldview.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pong said:

Alistair said:

Pong said:

I've just (roughly) evened up my POTUS book by laying trump.

The LA times & surveymonkey polls have spooked me.

As the LA times African American figure falls back to its long term average so it will continue to narrow.

If people have been thinking Trump has this locked up due to the LA Times tracker then that is very hasty thinking.
    Yeah.

Betfair punters obviously don't take the LA times poll seriously, but the direction of travel is still a useful data point. Interestingly, punters also discount Trump's 538 win probability by 10 percentage points. I think it's likely this *arb* will hold right until November the 8th.

If Clinton does win, it'll be at short odds.

If Trump wins, he'll be value right until the very end.
    I'm reasonably certain the debates will shake bettors up. Clinton winning the debates is clearly priced in at the moment.
    Is it? Or is it the demographics that are priced in?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    Using Nate Silver's state guide, I tentatively price up the "firewall" market as follows

TX 12.08
    MT 16.76
    GA 10.42
    AZ 14.67
    IA 10.5
    OH 12.95
    NC 26.96
    FL 49.47
    NV 43.05
    NH 8.5
    CO 129.68
    PA 18.03
    MI 8764.99
    VA 21.05
    NM 45.36
    NJ 13.56
    MD 8.87
    None 295

No, I am not offering 8763-1 on Michigan :p

Higher up the list = More surity on the pricing.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

@Alistair The debates are quite likely to prove very confusing because the two candidates will be trying to do very different things. Hillary Clinton will be trying to win a conventional political debate. Donald Trump will be trying to give a spellbinding theatrical performance.

Both might well succeed in their aims. But it is unclear which is going to be clinching in the ballot box.

Trump is more likely to benefit, I think. He's quick on his feet, and Hillary isn't. He just needs a few platitudes on policy - enough to get him by without sounding a complete berk - and he can torpedo what will no doubt be Hillary's well-rehearsed lines with a few devastating put-downs, which he's very good at.

Also, he has been given some splendid ammunition. 'Secretary Clinton thinks millions of viewers watching this debate are deplorable.'
  • Options

Yes, Trump won't care if he says something outrageous and ridiculous as his core strategy is simply to maximise media coverage for himself and hope to win the (sizeable) 'fuck you' vote.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2016
    Alistair said:

Pong said:

Alistair said:

Pong said:

As the LA times African American figure falls back to its long term average so it will continue to narrow.

If people have been thinking Trump has this locked up due to the LA Times tracker then that is very hasty thinking.
    Yeah.

Betfair punters obviously don't take the LA times poll seriously, but the direction of travel is still a useful data point. Interestingly, punters also discount Trump's 538 win probability by 10 percentage points. I think it's likely this *arb* will hold right until November the 8th.

I'm reasonably certain the debates will shake bettors up. Clinton winning the debates is clearly priced in at the moment.
    As is a decent Blue GOTV operation vs. a potentially haphazard, inconsistent and unsupported Trump GOTV.

On a slightly related point - I had the same thought as @pulpstar when he highlighted texas as possibly value on @shadsy 's first-state-to-go-blue list.

@20/1 it's worth a punt, IMO.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

I'm confused on the question of whether Article 50 negotiations, and negotiating an EU-UK trade deal (which are theoretically separate), will require unanimous agreement from the EU27 or can be agreed by qualified majority. I suspect I'm not the only one, but it's clearly a very important question.

Look at this, for example:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-20/u-k-told-it-has-zero-chance-of-having-brexit-cake-and-eating-it

While a final deal has to be approved by a qualified majority comprising of 72 percent of the remaining members and 65 percent of the EU population, any member can veto the process while granting the negotiating mandate, a process that will be updated by the bloc’s leaders, Prouza said.

What does that mean?

Article 50 clearly talks about a qualified majority, and I believe that pure trade deals can also be agreed by qualified majority. However, any deal which strays into areas not strictly about trade may need unanimous agreement.

I think that the answer to this question will determine whether or not we end up with a very hard and bumpy Brexit.

The final deal is without question subject to QMV - that's specified in Article 50 (paragraph 2). There may, however, be points along the way where effective or actual vetoes could be applied.

Also worth noting that while individual member states don't have a veto on the deal, the European Parliament does.
    The Article 50 Exit Agreement is by QMV + approval of the EU Parliament. Any additional treaty changes are ratified unanimously. The ratification process takes at least two years after everything is agreed. The more we can get into the Exit Agreement, the better for us.

I suspect Prouza means that individual countries can hold up decision making in the European Council by challenging procedural decisions rather than allowing them to go by consensus. They can filibuster in other words.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

What are views on Ashdown's suggestion there will have to be a GE as May won't be able to get Brexit through Commons - as "hardline" Eurosceptics will vote against what they see as too "soft" a deal.

I have two thoughts:

1) Surely the deal won't go to a vote in the Commons until the end of the process - ie deal can't go to a vote until deal is completely negotiated. Which would be early 2019 (ie just under two years after Article 50, assuming that's done say April 2017).

2) Surely deal would likely pass Commons given support of DUP / UUP / Carswell and almost certainly about 10 Lab MPs (ie Stuart, Howey, Field etc would vote for it). That would mean about 30 Con rebels would be required to defeat it.

Would 30 Con MPs really vote against - in the knowledge that if the vote was lost we might well end up not leaving the EU at all?

30 of the rebels might not all be hard Brexiteers though. Factor in Ken Clarke and Anna Soubry.
  • Options
    Oh dear a set of poor jokes
  • Options
    Pong said:

Alistair said:

Pong said:

Alistair said:

Pong said:

Yeah.

As is a decent Blue GOTV operation vs. a potentially haphazard, inconsistent and unsupported Trump GOTV.

I had the same thought as @pulpstar when he highlighted texas as possibly value on @shadsy 's first-state-to-go-blue list

@20/1 it's worth a punt, IMO.
    I have £5 each on Texas and New Hampshire. My pricing work seems to back those two up.
  • Options
    Not a natural speaker is he.....more village hall than statesman.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

Trump needs to come across as presidential, which he can[t do while playing to the crowd. He also need to prevent coming across as a racist misogynist and lying too badly, as a live fact check from the moderator will come across badly.

At the same time, his expectation level is lower, though that didn't help Palin vs Biden 8 years ago
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    That's sorted then the mini bus of lib dem MPs will oppose the government
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Using Nate Silver's state guide, I tentatively price up the "firewall" market as follows

TX 12.08
    MT 16.76
    GA 10.42
    AZ 14.67
    IA 10.5
    OH 12.95
    NC 26.96
    FL 49.47
    NV 43.05
    NH 8.5
    CO 129.68
    PA 18.03
    MI 8764.99
    VA 21.05
    NM 45.36
    NJ 13.56
    MD 8.87
    None 295

But aren't you failing there to take account of the fact that the states are correlated rather than independent probabilities? That means that the upper and lower bands are more likely than you suggest, because, if there is a swing from now towards or away from Clinton, that will shift a chunk of states to or from her column.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

What are views on Ashdown's suggestion there will have to be a GE as May won't be able to get Brexit through Commons - as "hardline" Eurosceptics will vote against what they see as too "soft" a deal.

I have two thoughts:

1) Surely the deal won't go to a vote in the Commons until the end of the process - ie deal can't go to a vote until deal is completely negotiated. Which would be early 2019 (ie just under two years after Article 50, assuming that's done say April 2017).

2) Surely deal would likely pass Commons given support of DUP / UUP / Carswell and almost certainly about 10 Lab MPs (ie Stuart, Howey, Field etc would vote for it). That would mean about 30 Con rebels would be required to defeat it.

Would 30 Con MPs really vote against - in the knowledge that if the vote was lost we might well end up not leaving the EU at all?

If the deal is voted down we exit via hard Brexit to WTO terms. The clock doesn't stop if the deal is lost.
  • Options
    The Stones Roses? I wanna be adored eh Mr Farron?
  • Options

The Stones Roses? I wanna be adored eh Mr Farron?

Certainly not 'I am the ressurection (of the lib dems)'.
  • Options

Trump is more likely to benefit, I think. He's quick on his feet, and Hillary isn't. He just needs a few platitudes on policy - enough to get him by without sounding a complete berk - and he can torpedo what will no doubt be Hillary's well-rehearsed lines with a few devastating put-downs, which he's very good at.

Also, he has been given some splendid ammunition. 'Secretary Clinton thinks millions of viewers watching this debate are deplorable.'
    Trump's risk is that he says something blatantly untrue and the moderators and/or media jump on it. Though after the past couple of decades, facts are hardly sacred in politics.
  • Options

PB Brain Trust.

I need to book some flights, but it seems like Skyscanner and Momondo now have become riddled with dodgy 3rd party ticket agents who all have reputation for classic bait and switch pricing to get them to show up in the results.

Is there a price comparison site which only shows pricing from reputable sellers or where I can filter them out? And, these days is there any saving to be had versus just using Expedia / Opodo / going direct?

Once you have worked out which airlines fly your route (enter "X to Y" as a Google search to get a list and an approximation of prices), make sure to check the airlines own websites.
  • Options
    Love bombing nu-labour isn't he.
  • Options
    Sam Macrory @sammacrory 3:05 PM - 20 Sep 2016

Big standing ovation as an emotional Farron attacks government for not helping refugees. "Those children could be our children" #ldconf

• Options
    I always find it a bit bonkers for Liberal Democrats to lecture Labour on the importance of winning power
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Farron mentions Newport, Sunderland & Preston as being left behind...all areas which didn't back his pro EU stance.

• Options
    Jobabob said:

Yes, Trump won't care if he says something outrageous and ridiculous as his core strategy is simply to maximise media coverage for himself and hope to win the (sizeable) 'fuck you' vote.
    That's (probably) not working at the moment, as he is doing worse with better educated white men , all minorities and women. If he does this in the national debates, he will do even worse.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    Chuffin' hell.

Just switched my gas & electricity via Uswitch.

Saved just under £1,000!

I don't hope to compete with @Andy_JS in terms of money made/saved, plus I appreciate we are all super-smart, nimble cookies on here and you've all already done this...but if you haven't...

• Options
    edited September 2016

Pulpstar said:

TX 12.08
    MT 16.76
    GA 10.42
    AZ 14.67
    IA 10.5
    OH 12.95
    NC 26.96
    FL 49.47
    NV 43.05
    NH 8.5
    CO 129.68
    PA 18.03
    MI 8764.99
    VA 21.05
    NM 45.36
    NJ 13.56
    MD 8.87
    None 295

But aren't you failing there to take account of the fact that the states are correlated rather than independent probabilities? That means that the upper and lower bands are more likely than you suggest, because, if there is a swing from now towards or away from Clinton, that will shift a chunk of states to or from her column.
    No.

States all independent from each other:

12.05 TX
    8.26 MT
    5.84 GA
    6.02 AZ
    6.23 IA
    8.01 OH
    12.86 NC
    22.53 FL
    40.14 NV
    61.3 NH
    160.98 CO
    396.65 PA
    1314.75 MI
    3975.75 VA
    15370.18 NM
    61699.53 NJ
    390222.89 MD
    97165499.49 None

100% correlated
    TX 12.05
    MT 20.41
    GA 12.05
    AZ 19.61
    IA 11.9
    OH 14.49
    NC 33.33
    FL 62.5
    NV 43.48
    NH 7.35
    CO 125
    PA 15.38
    MI inf
    VA 18.87
    NM 38.46
    NJ 11.49
    MD 7.52
    0 250
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I have two thoughts:

The Brexit deal is unlikely to be "soft", so Tory Eurosceptics won't have anything to object to. A soft Brexit depends on both sides being happy to fudge, when I don't think either side is.
  • Options
    How many hours has Farron been going on?
    Sky News has just given up and gone to Obama at the UN.
  • Options
    New Mexico and Michigan both look terrible bets in paticular.
  • Options
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Trump is all over the shop when it comes to presentation. If you watch the video of his 'Obama was born in America. Period' "press conference" his delivery was stilted, slow, breathy - like someone with health problems.

When he gets to do some rambly free association at the rallies then his delivery improves dramatically but his content meanders dangerously -what odds he does 15 minutes on why Hispanic judges should be disbarred from hearing his case at the debates.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

I don't agree. Trump won the primaries by dominating the policy arguments while disorientating his opponents with curve-ball attacks. He needs the debate to highlight the dividing lines on trade, foreign policy, nation building, immigration and identity politics.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Farron bleating about isolation from Europe.

He just said joining the Lib Dems was a big risk. Well, quite.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

MikeL said:

I have two thoughts:

The Brexit deal is unlikely to be "soft", so Tory Eurosceptics won't have anything to object to. A soft Brexit depends on both sides being happy to fudge, when I don't think either side is.
    The only softness about a Brexit deal will be the degree of free movement of people. The degree of free movement of people will depend on the EU's pragmatism. Of course rhetoric to date has suggested that they might not be pragmatic at all but that's a different matter to the cold hard facts presented to them by the likes of DD (with Tezza's hand shoved up his a**e of course).

I would love to know what DD thinks is appropriate if it's not visas and an end to single market membership.
  • Options

Trump's risk is that he says something blatantly untrue and the moderators and/or media jump on it. Though after the past couple of decades, facts are hardly sacred in politics.
    I think after Last Friday, the media will be more of a 'call him a liar when he lies' mood
  • Options
    I'm really not convinced polling is "good enough" to tell about the last couple fo % in an election.

Brexit, Tory Maj, Netanyahu - the polling "sort of" worked for them all - but Trump/Clinton is once again in that grey area where we know that both will probably both get above 45, though who wins is anyones guess.
  • Options
    Note to Farron: by definition, you can't prevent an inevitability.

Also, the 'democrat' part of the party's name seems rather contrary to his views of preventing the UK leaving the EU.

And his view on a second referendum, as many of us have said, makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

"Mr Trump, given that you think Obama was born in the USA would you take this opportunity to tell the 60% of your supporters that think he wasn't that they are wrong?"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm really not convinced polling is "good enough" to tell about the last couple fo % in an election.

Brexit, Tory Maj, Netanyahu - the polling "sort of" worked for them all - but Trump/Clinton is once again in that grey area where we know that both will probably both get above 45, though who wins is anyones guess.
    The question this time is going to be is which polling will be the most accurate? State wide polling or national polling.

It is a potential get out for the pollsters.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

I don't agree. Trump won the primaries by dominating the policy arguments while disorientating his opponents with curve-ball attacks. He needs the debate to highlight the dividing lines on trade, foreign policy, nation building, immigration and identity politics.
    I think his opponents were also not as prepared for him as Clinton will be, and they had no massive dividing lines they were willing to attack him for.

If Trump brings up deplorables, Clinton can bring up the David Dukes who support him and ask him what he thinks about them.
  • Options

Also, the 'democrat' part of the party's name seems rather contrary to his views of preventing the UK leaving the EU.

And his view on a second referendum, as many of us have said, makes no sense whatsoever.

Tim will respect the result of a second referendum, NORMAN made that very clear on the radio this morning.

The potential issue is that once Art 50. is invoked then the position needs to be changed (It has echoes of Hague/Lisbon treaty) - because a rejection at that point becomes not only a UK matter but an EU wide matter.

T May has not yet invoked Art 50 though, so the Lib Dem position is a sensible one to take, for now (As is always thus in politics)

Once May triggers Art 50, the facts will have changed mind as a rejection of a deal puts us into WTO territory - or we rejoin.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Morris_Dancer

'Farron bleating about isolation from Europe.

He just said joining the Lib Dems was a big risk. Well, quite.'

Looks like a diversity free zone with its old,grey,white audience, like watching a mini version of a Tory conference in the 90's.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

"Mr Trump, given that you think Obama was born in the USA would you take this opportunity to tell the 60% of your supporters that think he wasn't that they are wrong?"
    "Yes".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

MikeL said:

I have two thoughts:

The only softness about a Brexit deal will be the degree of free movement of people. The degree of free movement of people will depend on the EU's pragmatism. Of course rhetoric to date has suggested that they might not be pragmatic at all but that's a different matter to the cold hard facts presented to them by the likes of DD (with Tezza's hand shoved up his a**e of course).

I would love to know what DD thinks is appropriate if it's not visas and an end to single market membership.
    I don't think there is either the will or the time to negotiate anything much. By that, I mean trading stuff that you are not very keen on to get something you really want. Uncontroversial stuff that is in everyone's interest will go through. From the UK government's point of view, if they are not getting a trade for FoM they might as well be hardline about immigration. That's how I interpret Philip Hammond's position, at least.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, I am unpersuaded that Farron's seeming belief that we can negotiate a deal before invoking Article 50. Why do the Lib Dems think that will happen?

Also, why does the second referendum result matter but the first one doesn't? And why do the Lib Dems even want a second referendum give their preference is to stay in but the only options will be whatever the PM negotiates versus a WTO terms withdrawal?

It makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Poor old Tim Farron in the headlines for 2 minutes then Angelina Jolie files for divorce.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Pulpstar said:

Once May triggers Art 50, the facts will have changed mind as a rejection of a deal puts us into WTO territory - or we rejoin.
    Is there not the option of just withdrawing Article 50 notification and staying in the EU?

Utterly humiliating for the UK but still...

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,254
    TOPPING said:

Chuffin' hell.

Saved just under £1,000!

I don't hope to compete with @Andy_JS in terms of money made/saved, plus I appreciate we are all super-smart, nimble cookies on here and you've all already done this...but if you haven't...

Saved £1000?!? I have a four bedroom detached house and I don't pay that in total.
  • Options
    Mr. D, sure. If May wants to meet the men in grey suits down a dark alleyway.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

Saved £1000?!? I have a four bedroom detached house and I don't pay that in total.

You don't have a weed farm in your basement...
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

MikeL said:

I have two thoughts:

I don't think there is either the will or the time to negotiate anything much. By that, I mean trading stuff that you are not very keen on to get something you really want. Uncontroversial stuff that is in everyone's interest will go through. From the UK government's point of view, if they are not getting a trade for FoM they might as well be hardline about immigration. That's how I interpret Philip Hammond's position, at least.
    Yes, I think immigration controls is the red line, rightly given the referendat result, and therefore everything and anything else will be sacrificed for that.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Morris_Dancer

'Also, why does the second referendum result matter but the first one doesn't? '

Beacuse a few days after the referendum Farron addressed 70 people in a Church Hall in Preston who had voted Leave, but according to Farron some were having second thoughts.

A novel way to develop policy and a massive threat to polling companies.
  • Options

Alistair said:

"Yes".
    'Mr Trump, when did you decide Obama was born in the USA? and do you think you owe Obama and the country an apology for doubting his birthplace for all these years?'
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

MikeL said:

I have two thoughts:

Suppose that a deal is done that the 28 governments can agree to but it is then voted down in the EU parliament. What happens then? I'd assume that it would be back to WTO rules and all the negotiation effort would be for nothing.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

Is there not the option of just withdrawing Article 50 notification and staying in the EU?

I think a theoretical second referendum has to take place before Art 50 is triggered, but once negotiations have finished between ourselves and the EU.

Art 50 is a "no return" 2 year corridor so far as I understand, and given the EU's negotiators they have I don't think anything substantive should be left unnegotiated before Art 50 is triggered.

Of course the EU says they won't talk before Art 50 is triggered - which is a massive bind and problem for May.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Chuffin' hell.

Saved just under £1,000!

I wish I was in a position to spend £1000 more than needed on my utility bills...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    619 said:

Alistair said:

"Yes".
    'Mr Trump, when did you decide Obama was born in the USA? and do you think you owe Obama and the country an apology for doubting his birthplace for all these years?'
    "No - I feel that Hillary Clinton should apologise for not stamping out this rumour when her campaign team released it in 2008."
  • Options
    @politicshome: NEW: Labour loses Bristol council majority after Jeremy Corbyn supporters suspended - https://t.co/4Uqj2mU0bQ
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    619 said:

Alistair said:

"Yes".
    C'mon, he's no idiot. He'd reply something like 'I think the people who should be apologising are the President and Secretary Clinton for destroying jobs, wrecking great American industries, damaging our security, and lying to the American people."

In addition, the moderators can't really ask questions like that without asking equally searching questions to Hillary about her little local difficulty with email servers.
  • Options
    Yep - Trump is no free trader. We might get a deal of some kind from him, but if he does what he threatens to do with the likes of China and the EU then we may well be asked to take sides.

• Options
    I hope you're right. I'm obviously not a Labour man but I hate the idea of a one-party state.
  • Options
    What's going to happen in a post Brangelina World, and how are we going to cope?

#Brexpitt
  • Options
    Mr. Fletcher, quite, but Labour needs to sort itself out.

Or die quickly.

It's the shilly-shallying that's so undignified:
    https://youtu.be/pt-VzpLNNHM?t=2m27s
  • Options
    Mr. P, when the terms of the decree nisi come through there should be referendum. It's the Lib Dem way :p
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What's going to happen in a post Brangelina World, and how are we going to cope?

#Brexpitt

Angelina Jolie could become a member of my harem if she plays her cards right.
  • Options

619 said:

Alistair said:

"Yes".
    C'mon, he's no idiot. He'd reply something like 'I think the people who should be apologising are the President and Secretary Clinton for destroying jobs, wrecking great American industries, damaging our security, and lying to the American people."

In addition, the moderators can't really ask questions like that without asking equally searching questions to Hillary about her little local difficulty with email servers.
    And anyway I don't think that the birther issue is one of the topics released for discussion in the first debate.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Pulpstar said:

JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

Art 50 is a "no return" 2 year corridor so far as I understand, and given the EU's negotiators they have I don't think anything substantive should be left unnegotiated before Art 50 is triggered.

There does seem to be some debate as to its reversibility

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/article-50-trigger-brexit-eu-revoke-economic-plan-legal-trade-agreement-a7231446.html

I assume that this is the basis of Farron's position, a sort of 'in theory the people want to leave the EU but when presented with the reality they don't'
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

#Brexpitt

I quite like that fact that my MP has never heard of her.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

MikeL said:

I have two thoughts:

Suppose that a deal is done that the 28 governments can agree to but it is then voted down in the EU parliament. What happens then? I'd assume that it would be back to WTO rules and all the negotiation effort would be for nothing.
    Correct. And they will also have a big say on what our "WTO rules" are as well.
  • Options
    We have another Nevada poll - Trump +1 and a New York poll Clinton +n where n is a large number. No surprises with either.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I fear that you'd need to travel a long way through the multiverse to find the reality in which that happens.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

MikeL said:

I have two thoughts:

Of course. But there is an illogicality there analagous to the notion that Dave's deal would be struck down.

You are saying that Tezza would negotiate with the EU27, reach an agreement, and then the EU Parliament would vote it down?

Theoretically possible but bonkers and I can't see it happening.

Perhaps we should ask Mr Sarah Vine his thoughts.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: NEW: Labour loses Bristol council majority after Jeremy Corbyn supporters suspended - https://t.co/4Uqj2mU0bQ

You're 'Avon a laugh!!
  • Options
    Incidentally, a thought on the vagueness and poor wording that Mr. Nabavi and others have raised: this may well be entirely intentional.

Consider how much the EU likes fudge. You can't fudge when clarity reigns supreme. You need uncertainty.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Chuffin' hell.

Saved just under £1,000!

I wish I was in a position to spend £1000 more than needed on my utility bills...
    You want to check out the "standard" tariffs that energy companies put you onto once your fixed term deal has expired.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If they were Jeremy Corbyn supporters Labour did not have a majority in the first place.

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Note to Farron: by definition, you can't prevent an inevitability. Also, the 'democrat' part of the party's name seems rather contrary to his views of preventing the UK leaving the EU. And his view on a second referendum, as many of us have said, makes no sense whatsoever.

Mr Dancer. The Referendum you refer to was a choice between two complete unknowns. On the one hand, Tory leaders like Cameron and Osborne were promising and threatening all manner of thunder and brimstone. One the other hand, a different groups of Tories, Johnson, Davies, Fox, Gove, Leadsome and Farrage, were promising all kinds of wonders, starting with 350 million per week for the NHS. We are still waiting for that....

Neither band of Conservative ministers spelled out a clear choice of what the two alternatives were. So both sides, really, lost the Referendum. And the leading Conservatives either scuttled away, or had the problem of sorting things out dumped on them by Mrs May.

Labour, effectively, just washed their hands and walked away from the whole business.

What the Lib Dems are offering, as I understand it, is to give the country a real choice - between what may be negotiated by Mrs May through her three most incompetent ministers, or to continue in the EU as it is, or to reject any kind of negotiation and compromise which would lead the country total ruination.

It would have been better, of course, if Cameron had been even half-competent and made a decent show of negotiations before the Referendum, and turned to the electorate to seek support for that. But Cameron was an arrogant incompetent and he didn`t do that.

We don`t know what Mrs May`s three stooges and going to come up with, not when, nor when she will decide to invoke Article 50, not if it would be legal for her to do so without the consent of Parliament.

This means that Tim Farron and the Lib Dems have to prepare their ground now to take the fightback to the Conservative incompetents, even though nobody knows precisely what ground the Tories will choose to fight on.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

We have another Nevada poll - Trump +1 and a New York poll Clinton +n where n is a large number. No surprises with either.

You have to wonder why they bother wasting their time with New York when some battleground states like Wisconsin haven't been polled for 3 weeks
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,258
    edited September 2016
    dr_spyn said:

Poor old Tim Farron in the headlines for 2 minutes then Angelina Jolie files for divorce.

And with Theresa's big UN speech at 5.45 today. But then who is Tim Farron
  • Options

Scott_P said:

#Brexpitt

Angelina Jolie could become a member of my harem if she plays her cards right.

Who gets Brad?

• Options

Incidentally, a thought on the vagueness and poor wording that Mr. Nabavi and others have raised: this may well be entirely intentional.

Consider how much the EU likes fudge. You can't fudge when clarity reigns supreme. You need uncertainty.

It's not fudge more probably do with treaties etc have been drafted in different languages then codified/translated into a different language
  • Options

It's not fudge more probably do with treaties etc have been drafted in different languages then codified/translated into a different language
    This has made me want fudge. Thanks a lot.
  • Options

English is the best language in the world!

:innocent:
  • Options
    edited September 2016

weejonnie said:

You have to wonder why they bother wasting their time with New York when some battleground states like Wisconsin haven't been polled for 3 weeks
    Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Michigan are the key states to poll methinks.

Trump's path must go through one of them.
    And they are all his "last" state (in theory)
  • Options
    Mr. Clipp, the Lib Dems want the moon on a stick, and are asking for a referendum where the choices are a ham sandwich and slight knee ache.

Their preferred option is nowhere to be seen. Their desire for a referendum is nonsensical.

Once Article 50 is invoked, a deal is negotiated, then we leave after 2 years or agree an extension to negotiations.

A party with the word 'Democrats' in the title should have more respect for the will of the people instead of asking them to vote again. It's particularly stupid when the two options on offer will be what the Lib Dems don't want, and what the Lib Dems *really* don't want.
  • Options

This has made me want fudge. Thanks a lot.
    Sugar free I hope?
  • Options
    Mr. 1983, fudge is super.

Mr. Eagles, perhaps. But these are still points that could be a lot clearer (order of events, how a veto works etc).
This discussion has been closed.