Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember: The only successful CON government by-election de

Comments

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Off topic is Ex-dividend date, or the correct one for tax purposes ?

For self assessment tax returns use dividend payment date.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Miss Plato, life with Chairman Corbyn is something all three year olds will be able to learn about in their new Momentum lessons.

:lol:
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

PlatoSaid said:

So we're clear, this is the image Robert never ever wants posting on PB again.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/778956806429220864

We know what Jezza first thinks of when he sees that picture...the disgraceful promotion of sugary products...
    Some more sugary than others...
    It takes a special kind of prissy to make a political statement on your favourite biscuit.
    Garibaldi was perfectly OK with it!

(I'll get me coat...)
    No need to dash off, Doc. The Frogs were perfectly happy with the Bourbon biscuit, though I have never been served with on whilst over there, and of course the Anglo-German royalty gave us Battenberg cake (later renamed MountBatten). I am sure there are other examples.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Who's the rather fetching blonde?
    Chloe Grace Moretz.
    And who is she? What has she done to be photographed holding an item of confectionery with HRC? On whose behalf was that photo released, Trump or Clinton?
    An actress. She was in Kick Ass.
    Now "walking out" with Brooklyn Beckham.
    What does "walking out" mean? It sounds like a stupid Hollywood phrase such as "conscious uncoupling".
    Dating. Old English phrase - when good girls would go for an (unchaperoned) walk with their chosen partner.
    And possibly discuss country matters.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Miss Plato, life with Chairman Corbyn is something all three year olds will be able to learn about in their new Momentum lessons.

:lol:
    https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/777902973133422592
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Five decent panellists:

Mogg, Kendall, Lamb, Lucas, Brewer on Question Time.

4 Tories and a Green?
    "Mogg, Kendall, Lamb, Lucas, Brewer on Question Time."
    2 for LEAVE and 3 for REMAIN. BBC idea of balance. Still, last week was 1 LEAVE and 4 REMAIN.
  • Options
    Sunil_Prasannan, great graph but you understate the net EU payments by a few billion.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

We know what Jezza first thinks of when he sees that picture...the disgraceful promotion of sugary products...
    It takes a special kind of prissy to make a political statement on your favourite biscuit.

(I'll get me coat...)
    No need to dash off, Doc. The Frogs were perfectly happy with the Bourbon biscuit, though I have never been served with on whilst over there, and of course the Anglo-German royalty gave us Battenberg cake (later renamed MountBatten). I am sure there are other examples.
    Battenberg is a most ladylike cake - you can nibble/peel off the marzipan, break up to squares - it's perfect. Victoria sponge is just messy.
  • Options
    PB
    FYI - My new pic is not of any naked lady in a fur, but is of a politician who had an interesting life. Someone I once negotiated with.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/María_Julia_Alsogaray
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Pulpstar said:

Off topic is Ex-dividend date, or the correct one for tax purposes ?

For self assessment tax returns use dividend payment date.
    Upon further reading the tax credit of 10% & 10% tax net out to zero for me anyhow.
  • Options

Sunil_Prasannan, great graph but you understate the net EU payments by a few billion.

£8.5 billion net

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Rasmussen: Trump leads Clinton by 5 points nationally

The Republican presidential nominee edges Clinton 44 percent to 39 percent among likely voters nationwide in a four-way race against Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson (8 percent) and Green Party candidate Jill Stein (2 percent).

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2602549/

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Pulpstar said:

Five decent panellists:

Mogg, Kendall, Lamb, Lucas, Brewer on Question Time.

4 Tories and a Green?
    "Mogg, Kendall, Lamb, Lucas, Brewer on Question Time."
    2 for LEAVE and 3 for REMAIN. BBC idea of balance. Still, last week was 1 LEAVE and 4 REMAIN.
    I don't have a problem with 1 leave and 4 remainers if it's with a view from getting away from analyzing everything through the prism of the referendum. Of course, we all know that 4 leavers and 1 remainer would never happen on QT!
  • Options
    A new rival to Andy Burnham
    http://order-order.com/2016/09/22/chuka/
    25 April: Chuka Umunna tweets the above image attacking the Leave campaign for wanting to quit the single market. He posed alongside the word “seriously“.
    22 August: Chuka Umunna tells HuffPo we should be prepared to quit the single market in order to secure control of borders.
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, long said Umunna's rubbish. He's Ed Miliband without the authentic awkwardness, too oily and slick to come across as genuine.

Anyway, must be off for a bit.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

25 April: Chuka Umunna tweets the above image attacking the Leave campaign for wanting to quit the single market. He posed alongside the word “seriously“.
    22 August: Chuka Umunna tells HuffPo we should be prepared to quit the single market in order to secure control of borders.

It is not two faced; just accepting the will of the British people and the new landscape.
  • Options
    stodge said:

We'll know in just over four weeks but it's vital for the LDs or another party to establish themselves clearly and credibly as the main alternative to squeeze out the other parties.

Labour has a problem in Witney: they aren't going to get the left-wing vote.

Two reasons. First, the Labour candidate is very publicly anti-Corbyn (and I mean very - he hasn't tweeted about anything else all summer). So the Corbynites won't vote for him, and floating voters will show their usual disdain for divided parties - it's going to be difficult for Labour to appear healed and united with a candidate who has repeatedly criticised their leader.

Second, the Greens look likely to choose a candidate (tonight) with significant appeal to anti-establishment voters, quite possibly bolstered by celebrity backing.

So Labour will be bereft of their usual bedrock and be reduced to scrapping for the centre with the LibDems; and my sense is that the LibDems are much keener on fighting this than Labour is. Labour's candidate is good, but I can't see him holding on to 2nd.
  • Options
    Sahil Kapur
    Virginia poll — Roanoke

Clinton 44% (-4 since mid-Aug)
    Trump 37% (+5)
    Johnson 8% (-)
    Stein 1% (-2)

2-WAY

Clinton 51% (-4)
    Trump 40% (+4)

Key trend: Clinton's PA-CO-VA firewall remains even as she slips elsewhere. If that holds, Trump needs a state like WI or NH to hit 270.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TCPoliticalBetting

'A new rival to Andy Burnham

22 August: Chuka Umunna tells HuffPo we should be prepared to quit the single market in order to secure control of borders.'

Could it be a mix up with Chuka Harrison ?
  • Options

Given similar statements by others (e.g. Emma Reynolds) in recent days, it appears to be part of a trend, perhaps marking a clear change of stance by his wing of Labour on open door EU immigration. Excellent news as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur
    Virginia poll — Roanoke

Trump 37% (+5)
    Johnson 8% (-)
    Stein 1% (-2)

2-WAY

Clinton 51% (-4)
    Trump 40% (+4)

Key trend: Clinton's PA-CO-VA firewall remains even as she slips elsewhere. If that holds, Trump needs a state like WI or NH to hit 270.

Historically the 3rd parties have fallen off a lot closer to the date (especially around two way debates).
  • Options

It is not two faced; just accepting the will of the British people and the new landscape.
    People have had enough of weathervane politicians.

Democracy functions much better when politicians have convictions and the people can chose whose convictions they agree with at a given moment, otherwise you just have an elected bureaucracy.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Chloe Grace Moretz.
    And who is she? What has she done to be photographed holding an item of confectionery with HRC? On whose behalf was that photo released, Trump or Clinton?
    What does "walking out" mean? It sounds like a stupid Hollywood phrase such as "conscious uncoupling".
    Dating. Old English phrase - when good girls would go for an (unchaperoned) walk with their chosen partner.
    Uganda is a country. So they could discuss ugandan matters.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Is it safe to come back yet ?

Have the remainers stopped sulking ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur
    Virginia poll — Roanoke

Trump 37% (+5)
    Johnson 8% (-)
    Stein 1% (-2)

2-WAY

Clinton 51% (-4)
    Trump 40% (+4)

VA is one Trump won't win, is trending solidly Democrat perhaps more so than any other state.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Welcome back, Lord High Constable!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur
    Virginia poll — Roanoke

Trump 37% (+5)
    Johnson 8% (-)
    Stein 1% (-2)

2-WAY

Clinton 51% (-4)
    Trump 40% (+4)

VA is one Trump won't win, is trending solidly Democrat perhaps more so than any other state.
    The polling blizzard is quite something.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Fairly balanced summary by Curtice on why Labour under Corbyn is neither breaking through nor collapsing:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/22/jeremy-corbyn-not-unpopular-but-divisive
  • Options
    An interesting view

http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/22/replace-culture-politics-turn-sour/

‘The Tonight Show’ gets a bigger audience because most people aren’t looking for the self-righteous mirth of slamming those stupid Republicans right before bed. Most would rather just have a chuckle. But as the backlash against Fallon shows, that apolitical style of comedy is not only becoming rare, it is being openly attacked as insufficiently politically militant.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ive been lurking for the last 6 weeks in the hope that the Remainers would get it out of their system and stop boring us all to death
  • Options

Mostly, but bitter Leavers are still wittering on about the how the Treasury forecast for the next two years is wrong.
  • Options

stodge said:

We'll know in just over four weeks but it's vital for the LDs or another party to establish themselves clearly and credibly as the main alternative to squeeze out the other parties.

Two reasons. First, the Labour candidate is very publicly anti-Corbyn (and I mean very - he hasn't tweeted about anything else all summer). So the Corbynites won't vote for him, and floating voters will show their usual disdain for divided parties - it's going to be difficult for Labour to appear healed and united with a candidate who has repeatedly criticised their leader.

Second, the Greens look likely to choose a candidate (tonight) with significant appeal to anti-establishment voters, quite possibly bolstered by celebrity backing.

So Labour will be bereft of their usual bedrock and be reduced to scrapping for the centre with the LibDems; and my sense is that the LibDems are much keener on fighting this than Labour is. Labour's candidate is good, but I can't see him holding on to 2nd.
    Oh, a bit of a tease: who is the Green who has celeb backing?
  • Options

Not really, I would give it another couple of weeks if I were you.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

RobD said:

Ive been lurking for the last 6 weeks in the hope that the Remainers would get it out of their system and stop boring us all to death
    So you knew the answer to your question before posting? And you still came back!

No, I think for the most part, people are accepting the fact with more grace and wanting to make the best Brexit possible. However, as usual, we still manage to disagree as to what that is.
  • Options

Mostly, but bitter Leavers are still wittering on about the how the Treasury forecast for the next two years is wrong.
    yes but that's just an Osbornism and we all know he talked total bollocks :-)

Has anyone said George is crap recently ?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    'On the face of it Cameron majority from GE2015 is so large that shouldn’t impact on the outcome – but who knows?'

Looks like this forum is entering the Twilight Zone. The Tories failing to hold Witney is about as likely as Corbyn failing to be elected leader again.
  • Options

don't you mean 'years'?
  • Options

No, they've moved on to attacking Theresa May and complaining that Phil Hammond is a grey man.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

(I'll get me coat...)
    Battenberg is a most ladylike cake - you can nibble/peel off the marzipan, break up to squares - it's perfect. Victoria sponge is just messy.
    A lady nibbling off the marzipan! Dear God! I think I am going have to go and bathe my wrists with cold water and lie down in a darkened room
  • Options
    Jason said:

'On the face of it Cameron majority from GE2015 is so large that shouldn’t impact on the outcome – but who knows?'

Looks like this forum is entering the Twilight Zone. The Tories failing to hold Witney is about as likely as Corbyn failing to be elected leader again.

...or Boris being reincarnated as an olive.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

So you knew the answer to your question before posting? And you still came back!

No, I think for the most part, people are accepting the fact with more grace and wanting to make the best Brexit possible. However, as usual, we still manage to disagree as to what that is.
    He's a sensible chap, and couldn't resist the lure of posting on PB for a day longer.
  • Options

don't you mean 'years'?
    Let's cunctate the whole thing off.
  • Options
    As far as I can see, Leavers remain quite clueless about what they want. Having wanted out of the EU, believing that a favourable deal could be effortlessly negotiated, they now rush towards as hard a Brexit as possible. In six months' time they will doubtless be agitating to leave the UN. In six months after that, they will be investigating how to physically separate the island of Great Britain from the rest of planet earth. Meanwhile, Remainers will be blamed for the resultant tectonic effects.
  • Options

No problem with Antisemitism in the Labour Party....just Anti-Zionism...that how the argument goes right?

http://order-order.com/2016/09/22/new-labour-friends-israel-poster-girl-opposed-creation-israel/

Please advise me. For those of us that consider that the conduct of the Government of Israel towards the majority of the population living within the borders it continues to effectively control has been repugnant, at least in the period since the rejection of the Oslo peace accord, is there any way of expressing that repugnance here without causing you to parrot the charge of "antisemitism" so routinely made by the Government of Israel to try and hide its shortcomings?

No, no there isn't.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

An interesting view

http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/22/replace-culture-politics-turn-sour/

‘The Tonight Show’ gets a bigger audience because most people aren’t looking for the self-righteous mirth of slamming those stupid Republicans right before bed. Most would rather just have a chuckle. But as the backlash against Fallon shows, that apolitical style of comedy is not only becoming rare, it is being openly attacked as insufficiently politically militant.

Nothing more true than this: "When we are told our religious beliefs, politics, and worldviews aren’t acceptable in decent discourse, it pisses us off"

And Hillary follows this up with her comment that "I think I can speak directly to white people to say 'This is not who we are"' i.e. to fall directly into Trump's anti-PC trap. You don't have to be racist or 'intersectional' or whatever that horrid new word was yesterday to be pissed of by Hillary telling you who you are not.
  • Options

I'm afraid it's inescapable Mr L

2 good friends of mine are still livid I voted out. It would be less confrontational if I'd shagged their missus in front of them.

Their main beef appears to be they called it wrong and cant understand why.
  • Options

As far as I can see, Leavers remain quite clueless about what they want. Having wanted out of the EU, believing that a favourable deal could be effortlessly negotiated, they now rush towards as hard a Brexit as possible. In six months' time they will doubtless be agitating to leave the UN. In six months after that, they will be investigating how to physically separate the island of Great Britain from the rest of planet earth. Meanwhile, Remainers will be blamed for the resultant tectonic effects.

basta !

hows the other half ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

2 good friends of mine are still livid I voted out. It would be less confrontational if I'd shagged their missus in front of them.

Give them a master-class in where they got it so wrong.

Whilst shagging their missus in front of them.
  • Options

As far as I can see, Leavers remain quite clueless about what they want.

Such a silly statement as it assumes that there is just one type of Leaver. Some of us Leavers are very clear as to what we want and have been since before the vote.

We even know what range of Brexit options we'd be ok with.
  • Options

No, they've moved on to attacking Theresa May and complaining that Phil Hammond is a grey man.
    Im giving Mrs M the benefit of the doubt for the first twelve months till shes settled in.

As for Hammond being grey, as long as he can count I dont care what coiour he is.
  • Options

Give them a master-class in where they got it so wrong.

Whilst shagging their missus in front of them.
    LOL
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur
    Virginia poll — Roanoke

Trump 37% (+5)
    Johnson 8% (-)
    Stein 1% (-2)

2-WAY

Clinton 51% (-4)
    Trump 40% (+4)

It's all the government employees in NoVa and the military's nervousness about Trump in both NoVa and Tidewater.

While I agree that Va is trending Dem, don't forget they almost lost the gubernatorial vote in 2013 in a squeaker, with a no-name GOPer ahead against a national name Dem (McAuliffe) until the very last of the NoVa districts came in. Final result Dem 47.75%. GOP 45.23%, Libertarian 6.52%. With a good GOP candidate that pulls in the libertarian vote, this state is still winnable for the GOP, if an uphill battle.
  • Options
    blockquote class="Quote" rel="williamglenn">

Not much of an egghead if he didn't realise that confessing to murder in a book wasn't going to have consequences.

Maybe it has haunted him for years and doing that meant he could sleep at night again?
    Is there anything you'd like to confess Paul?

Yes Ive just subjected my fellow train passengers on this very crowded train to an appalling but silent nasal attack, and everyone is now looking at everyone else accuzingly
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke He's doing ok at present, though it's a long long road ahead. His mental progress is extraordinary. He remains physically very weak.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2016
    Mrs Clinton was interviewed by Zach Galifianakis. It makes for extremely awkward viewing. I don't think Clinton has any form of charisma, a sense of humour, warmth, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkPe-9rM1Q
  • Options

People have had enough of weathervane politicians.

Democracy functions much better when politicians have convictions and the people can chose whose convictions they agree with at a given moment, otherwise you just have an elected bureaucracy.
    His mistake was what he said in April. Without that his August comments would be unremarkable.
  • Options

corporeal said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Chloe Grace Moretz.
    Uganda is a country. So they could discuss ugandan matters.
    Discussing Ugandan Constitutional Matters might raise the odd eyebrow though
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Great Britain would be brilliant if it could be separated from the rest of the world but can we please leave the Corbynista's, the Blairites, the Cameroons and the Remainers and Libdems behind somewhere in the North of France, then it would be heaven
  • Options

@Alanbrooke He's doing ok at present, though it's a long long road ahead. His mental progress is extraordinary. He remains physically very weak.

The benefits of a thick Ulster skull :-)

best wishes for a full recovery

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2016

Larry Sanders - Bernie's brother. Bernie is rumoured to be in the UK anyway during the campaign and considering making an appearance for Larry.

For your average voter, Bernie is clearly not a celebrity with the impact of, ooh, Mary Berry. But for Corbynistas he certainly is. Given the choice between voting for Bernie Sanders' brother or for a Labour candidate who loathes Corbyn, I think the leftwingers will go Green. TBH I'd go to a Bernie rally in Witney just to see what the fuss is about, even though I'm certainly not voting that way.

Of course, the Greens may select someone else tonight.
  • Options

stodge said:

ET
  • Options

Im giving Mrs M the benefit of the doubt for the first twelve months till shes settled in.

As for Hammond being grey, as long as he can count I dont care what coiour he is.
    2 aircraft carriers - 0 aircraft. Doesn't seem promising does it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    MP_SE said:

Mrs Clinton was interviewed by Zach Galifianakis. It makes for extremely awkward viewing. I don't think Clinton has any form of charisma, a sense of humour, warmth, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkPe-9rM1Q

God, she looks about a decade older than when I saw her two years ago.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur
    Virginia poll — Roanoke

Trump 37% (+5)
    Johnson 8% (-)
    Stein 1% (-2)

2-WAY

Clinton 51% (-4)
    Trump 40% (+4)

She's not 'slipping' elsewhere. Her numbers have *improved* this week, slightly but significantly. Trump may yet win but nevertheless you are wrong to say she's slipping!
  • Options

depends, put them to ramming speed,

job done
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    edited September 2016
    MP_SE said:

Wow... If that doesn't smack of desperation I don't know what does.

Who was responsible for putting her with that bigoted man? Must be Sue...
  • Options

job done
    If you're attacking Brighton with a pre-emptive pier strike, I suppose so.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Seems odd. What is to be gained?
  • Options

I imagine you've been very busy trying to keep up with Osborne's March of the Makers:

http://www.smmt.co.uk/2016/09/uk-car-manufacturing-achieves-14-year-high-in-august-as-exports-drive-demand/
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Great Britain would be brilliant if it could be separated from the rest of the world but can we please leave the Corbynista's, the Blairites, the Cameroons and the Remainers and Libdems behind somewhere in the North of France, then it would be heaven
    Yes it's been clear for sometime that a number of hard Brexit extremists want to cut the UK off from the rest of the world, and indeed anyone else who doesn't share their close-minded worldview
  • Options

Yes it's not clear to me why and when hard Brexit became the favoured outcome for Leavers and indeed the nation at large. Yet sadly that does seem to now be the case. Leave everything, keep nothing. Piss off into the wilderness.
  • Options

job done
    well you cant exactly blame Hammond for MOD cock ups made under Gordon Brown
  • Options

Larry Sanders - Bernie's brother. Bernie is rumoured to be in the UK anyway during the campaign and considering making an appearance for Larry.

For your average voter, Bernie is clearly not a celebrity with the impact of, ooh, Mary Berry. But for Corbynistas he certainly is. Given the choice between voting for Bernie Sanders' brother or for a Labour candidate who loathes Corbyn, I think the leftwingers will go Green. TBH I'd go to a Bernie rally in Witney just to see what the fuss is about, even though I'm certainly not voting that way.

Of course, the Greens may select someone else tonight.
    How many Corbynista are there in the lanes and by-ways of Witney?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

God, she looks about a decade older than when I saw her two years ago.

Like Monty Burns in a wig and pantsuit.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkPe-9rM1Q

That's beyond painful.
  • Options

Point of order: we have several (from memory 4) F35B Lightning II's atm. They're based in the US for evaluation and training.

HMS QE is due for commissioning next year. So you could argue that we have more planes than carriers. ;)

(This is not a defence of the carrier program, which has been a hideously mismanaged project from inception).
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Yes it's not clear to me why and when hard Brexit became the favoured outcome for Leavers and indeed the nation at large. Yet sadly that does seem to now be the case. Leave everything, keep nothing. Piss off into the wilderness.

Hard Brexit is not the preferred option. It's an option that has to be on the table, so that the EU know we are serious.

If the EU want to do this the hard way, then more fool them, but we have to be prepared to accept it.

• Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    trump ohio state chair has resigned after her 'obama caused racism' comments
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Hillary's deadpanning of Galifianakis has actually gone down quite well in the States. Clearly it will be considered a disaster for her on here, but then so too does the Pope reject protestantism.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Hard Brexit is not the preferred option. It's an option that has to be on the table, so that the EU know we are serious.

If the EU want to do this the hard way, then more fool them, but we have to be prepared to accept it.

More fool them?

Or more fool us?
  • Options

I suspect the three Brexiteers are getting carried away with their own dreams of a return to some kind of fantasy, buccaneering, mercantile, victorian england. Luckily I suspect the Treasury will intervene before too long and get things back to reality.
  • Options

job done
    So what was Hammond doing during his time there, apart from agitating to send more of our painfully overstretched forces into the Middle East, because, dictators and stuff...
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Exactly, if you're not prepared to walk away then you're not going to be taken seriously or get a good negotiation. I've said all along ironically the best way to long term remain in the Single Market (EEA-style) is to be prepared to leave it, so we finally get taken more seriously than just an opt-out of something and get reform we can live with.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

More fool them?

Or more fool us?
    MAD = Mutually Assured Deindustrialisation
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

More fool them?

Or more fool us?

Them. Definitely.

• Options
    @rottenborough I doubt it. The politicians on both sides of the negotiation are too inept, too divided, too uncertain of their ultimate aims and unable to lead their electorates to anything resembling a compromise. So hard Brexit is my default expectation.
  • Options

I suspect the three Brexiteers are getting carried away with their own dreams of a return to some kind of fantasy, buccaneering, mercantile, victorian england. Luckily I suspect the Treasury will intervene before too long and get things back to reality.
    Yes, imagine having an enterprise culture - the ridiculousness of it!
  • Options

job done
    So what was Hammond doing during his time there, apart from agitating to send more of our painfully overstretched forces into the Middle East, because, dictators and stuff...
    A decision for the PM, not the Defence Minister, surely?
  • Options

job done
    Yeah, he should have rolled up his sleeves and hammered in a few rivets on his own.

-_-
  • Options

job done
    Yeah, he should have rolled up his sleeves and hammered in a few rivets on his own.

-_-

Come on. Have you ever known Hammond to be riveting?

• Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

More fool them?

Or more fool us?

Them. Definitely.

Yes, you are very confident.
  • Options
    PPP
    #NEW #Florida @Suffolk_U Poll:

Trump 45 (+1)
    Clinton 44
    Johnson 3

A 7 point shift toward Trump in 6 weeks
    https://t.co/WDtnt2MOYE
  • Options
    Stirring things re the Labour leadership? Me? Why not chuck an idea in; they'd work it out in due course anyway.

http://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/opinion/david-herdson-corbyn-and-mcdonnell-are-missing-trick
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Seems odd. What is to be gained?
    Young voters are currently disproportionately favouring 3rd party candidates, 3rd party candidates usually drop off in support later in the race. Clinton's looking to hoover them up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    edited September 2016

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

More fool them?

Or more fool us?
    MAD = Mutually Assured Deindustrialisation
    Very good. The Brexiters insistence that they're ready for hard Brexit is a bit like Kim Jong-un's insistence that he's ready for nuclear war.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    What about Hunky Dunky then? :smiley:
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Ive just seen that arch blairite Chuka Umuna has said he would sacrifice single market to end free movement. Labour finally waking up and smelling the coffee (or smelling the Earl Grey tea I guess, in this post brexit world). Smart overall but will come at a price too, if LDs can drop 2nd ref stuff and present themselves as the only party fighting for single market/EEA.

Hard brexit nailed on now I guess, if Tories and Labour unite on it.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Reminiscent of EdM's exquisite encounter with Brand.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That's great news. My wife's grandmother had a similar issue a few years back: it's the mental capacity that is the most important (the time to worry is when it starts to plateau). The physical will come with time.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited September 2016
    Jobabob said:

MP_SE said:

Hillary's deadpanning of Galifianakis has actually gone down quite well in the States. Clearly it will be considered a disaster for her on here, but then so too does the Pope reject protestantism.
    My problem is with Galifianakis who seems to be a very, very poor man's dame edna everage.
This discussion has been closed.