Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn has clearly won – the big question is the size of hi

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Dixie said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:
    The GBBO coverage would suggest that civilisation has indeed crumbled...
    The BBC coverage of the loss of the GBBO has been an interesting insight into their sense of entitlement and self importance.
    I think its more about telling GGBO fans not to worry.. GBBO will be back in a slightly different format and a different coloured tent.. worry not . No Holywood, but who cares. Berry is the star.
    I think it's more about them. How very dare Ch 4. Lets stir up debates about privatising them. That'll show them.
    What is such a problem of cookery talent show watchers having to press button 4 rather than button 1on the remote from the comfort of their sofas?

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:
    The BBC coverage of the loss of the GBBO has been an interesting insight into their sense of entitlement and self importance.
    I think its more about telling GGBO fans not to worry.. GBBO will be back in a slightly different format and a different coloured tent.. worry not . No Holywood, but who cares. Berry is the star.
    I think it's more about them. How very dare Ch 4. Lets stir up debates about privatising them. That'll show them.
    What is such a problem of cookery talent show watchers having to press button 4 rather than button 1on the remote from the comfort of their sofas?
    I've never understood why it is on prime time. When it is on in our house I go and do paperwork...with Netflix in the background!
    Dont watch it myself but don't 8-10 million people watch it? I presume it's on prime time because it is prime Tv viewing!
    It's not about baking. It's got humanity, British eccentricity, subtlety, calm, rhythm. It's formulaic heaven.
    I did watch the finale last year since it has gotten so popular everyone was talking about it. It seemed pretty entertaining, as these things go, but not my cup of tea for regular viewing.

Could have used more discussions of local by elections.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Dixie said:

An outstanding night for Labour at local elections. A win in Scotland, in the South and Midlands. The party continues to reach vote shares that they did under Brown/Miliband, within MOE. The party is not dead under Corbyn, it is different. Likely unelectable in 2020 but they won't die. Also, as someone on here said, Lib Dem revival can take enough votes off Tories for Labour to slip through in some elections. All mayors will be Labour. They are strong.

To kill them they need to reach Scottish vote shares - 15% or so to bump them off. Unlikely.

I don't know how things work with by elections in PR seats, but Labour's share of first preferences actually fell in Coatbridge:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/779087540930445312
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Good by-election night for Labour (and, to be fair, the LibDems, even without wins). Terrible night for the Tories. As we've had two threads based on single Labour council by-election losses, time for one about the gains?

IMO, Curtice's research is the most significant factor here - essentially that Corbyn has a high floor (more people who positively like him than liked Cameron after a year as leader) but a low ceiling (loads of people not currently prepared to vote for him). That's after a summer of unremitting party feuding. The question is whether after a reasonably clear win (I'm forseeing something much like last tim, not 70%) and some degree of cooperation in the PLP, he can start to make inroads into the people who quyite like Labour but aren't up for a hugely divided left-wing party.

Does Corbyn actually want to reach out beyond his tribe? I doubt it. He has enough people whispering in his ear about his "mandate" and his semi messianic status that he probably doesn't want to or think he needs to.
    Morning all,

I suppose he might start listening to Owen Jones, who seems to have gone all Blairite in yesterday's Guardian, talking about need to persuade people who don't agree with you, reach out, use honed messaging to communicate effectively etc etc. Philip Gould would be proud of the lad.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

In his interview last night Corbyn praised Foot but said he would do 'even better', so Corbyn's benchmark it would seem is beating the 209 seats and 28% Foot got in 1983

If he does better in 2020 I guess it justifies him staying in as leader as it is clearly a great victory.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Good by-election night for Labour (and, to be fair, the LibDems, even without wins). Terrible night for the Tories.

A bit behind the times there, Mr Palmer. You must have missed the Lib Dem gain from the Tories in Teignmouth, declared about seven hours before you posted.
  • Options
    Labour's problem isn't JC's policies (which Smith largely shares, even if the electorate no longer likes itself enough to do so) - nor even JC's personality, about which I agree with his ex-wife, Professor Chapman - and feel myself qualified to do so, having served, if only briefly, with both of them in Haringey Council when we were all young.

Labour's problem is that its members are perfectionists, and no government, democratic or otherwise, can deliver perfection. It's against human nature. Times past, this was kept in check by the realism of TU barons. Thanks to Ed M, this applies no longer.

Inner-party democracy has given us an Opposition that is very happy to oppose and has no wish to govern.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Good by-election night for Labour (and, to be fair, the LibDems, even without wins). Terrible night for the Tories. As we've had two threads based on single Labour council by-election losses, time for one about the gains?

IMO, Curtice's research is the most significant factor here - essentially that Corbyn has a high floor (more people who positively like him than liked Cameron after a year as leader) but a low ceiling (loads of people not currently prepared to vote for him). That's after a summer of unremitting party feuding. The question is whether after a reasonably clear win (I'm forseeing something much like last tim, not 70%) and some degree of cooperation in the PLP, he can start to make inroads into the people who quyite like Labour but aren't up for a hugely divided left-wing party.

Does Corbyn actually want to reach out beyond his tribe? I doubt it. He has enough people whispering in his ear about his "mandate" and his semi messianic status that he probably doesn't want to or think he needs to.
    Morning all,

I suppose he might start listening to Owen Jones, who seems to have gone all Blairite in yesterday's Guardian, talking about need to persuade people who don't agree with you, reach out, use honed messaging to communicate effectively etc etc. Philip Gould would be proud of the lad.
    Dangerous stuff. When you try and persuade people who disagree with you they might advance their current views and you could get contaminated. Or triggered. Who knows, you might find yourself thinking, just for a moment, that instinctive ideas held for decades without analysis or doubt could be wrong, or at least need modulating. Nobody wants that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

Report on radio this morning about a lorry load of illegal immigrants stopped on the M1 by police causing chaos. Apparently they called 16 ambulances which virtually blocked a slip road in case they had got hurt in the back of the lorry.

Maybe I'm dumb but isn't that just a tiny bit over the top. Whats wrong with a minibus? No wonder our public services are in debt.

Just 12 056 enforced deportations in 2015, when Mrs May had full control of the Home Office.

Why is she regarded as competent by PB Tories?
    There are lots of interesting charts on this on the migration observatory site but it is beyond me to post a link on an iphone. Basically the number of "voluntary" departures after ejection procedures commenced increased resulting in a fall in the number of forced departures. There is, however, no sign of any upward trend in total departures. The picture looks broadly static.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    On a SeanT note, I'm spending a few days in Venice with a friend next month. We like people, water, variety and colourful sights. We aren't much into buildings, galleries and other static things. Any recommendations/warnings?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @HeidilBlake: A language expert on @BBCr4today just said the less/fewer rule is a myth and now my whole belief system has collapsed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Morning all,

Dangerous stuff. When you try and persuade people who disagree with you they might advance their current views and you could get contaminated. Or triggered. Who knows, you might find yourself thinking, just for a moment, that instinctive ideas held for decades without analysis or doubt could be wrong, or at least need modulating. Nobody wants that.
    Yes, that would be awful. One might end up being a Red Tory Blairite scum who wins elections and changes things.
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

In his interview last night Corbyn praised Foot but said he would do 'even better', so Corbyn's benchmark it would seem is beating the 209 seats and 28% Foot got in 1983

If he does better in 2020 I guess it justifies him staying in as leader as it is clearly a great victory.
    A loss done the right way is better than victory the wrong way. The people deserve the evils of Tory government if they reject the perfect labour government, they don't deserve a less than perfect labour government. So win or lose, it is still a great victory so long as people got the chance to vote for real labour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dixie said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

I did watch the finale last year since it has gotten so popular everyone was talking about it. It seemed pretty entertaining, as these things go, but not my cup of tea for regular viewing.

Could have used more discussions of local by elections.
    True:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8h8 hours ago
    Teignmouth Central (Teignbridge) result:
    LDEM: 51.1% (+28.3)
    CON: 29.8% (-12.6)
    UKIP: 11.6% (+11.6)
    LAB: 7.5% (-8.7)

Liberal Democrat GAIN Teignmouth Central (Teignbridge) from Conservative

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 5h5 hours ago
    Adderbury, Bloxham & Bodicote (Cherwell) result:
    CON: 57.4% (+8.5)
    LAB: 16.2% (-0.3)
    GRN: 15.7% (-5.5)
    LDEM: 10.7% (-2.8)

Labour GAIN Arley & Whitacre (North Warwickshire) from Conservative.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 5h5 hours ago
    Old Stratford (South Northamptonshire) result:
    CON: 77.2% (+77.2)
    UKIP: 22.8% (+22.8)
    Conservative HOLD.
    Con previously elected unopposed

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 9h9 hours ago
    Christchurch (Allerdale) result:
    LAB: 40.7% (+5.8)
    LDEM: 29.4% (+20.0)
    CON: 25.9% (-19.3)
    UKIP: 4.0% (+4.0)

Labour GAIN Christchurch (Allerdale) from Conservative.

Chopwell & Rowlands Gill (Gateshead) result:
    LAB: 59.1% (-3.7)
    UKIP: 15.6% (+1.3)
    LDEM: 12.3% (+7.9)
    CON: 8.6% (-2.3)
    GRN: 4.4% (-3.2)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@HeidilBlake: A language expert on @BBCr4today just said the less/fewer rule is a myth and now my whole belief system has collapsed.

That's long been known, not that it stops the less/fewer pedants.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

In relative terms I suppose second worst leader since WW2 would be better than worst
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Maybe less people will complain about it
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Zing.

Unlikely. People who adore arbitrary grammatical rules invented to little obvious purpose are more inflexible than corbynites.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    edited September 2016

Leaverstan for me is that section of England and Wales between the two. Overwhelmingly Labour voting, not or never needed for a Conservative majority, sometimes depopulating, ex industrial, very reliant on the State and crucially often at least partially responsible for it's own decline. A tendency to blame everything on Thatcher, elect crap one party state councils and overly nostalgic.

That sounds like a good description of the Remainastan of the inner cities.

You might argue that they're now increasing in population - but renting a room in Brixton or Hackney doesn't seem preferable to me to owning a house in Bolsover or Castle Point.

I'm sure we'll be told how 'creative' Remainastan is. But the word 'creative' always brings to my mind Jez from Peep Show and the lyrics from this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU3mc0yvRNk
  • Options
    Just a Friday morning kind of thought, but what if Boris and co actually pull it off? A free trade deal with EU that basically means we are still in single market and no free movement.

Surely, May would take that to the country a year or two earlier than 2020 and win a landslide of monumental proportions?
  • Options
    Yougov this morning in the Times has it Tories 39% Labour 30% UKIP 13% LDs 8%. Only 15% of Labour voters now back Leave compared to a third at the general election with some switching to the Tories and UKIP (possibly made up by a few Greens and Plaid switching to Labour)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Only experts disregard the fact that our schoolteachers possessed absolute truth, or at least canes...

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.
    That it is a fundamental rule sure is.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Zing.

Unlikely. People who adore arbitrary grammatical rules invented to little obvious purpose are more inflexible than corbynites.

Shouldn't that be "less flexible"...?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Some of us may still think less of those who disregard it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.
    Mr Dancer gave a very good example the other day as to why it can make a very big difference.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Wasn't there an expert who wanted to get rid of apostrophes last year?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Maybe Brexiteers were right about experts after all.
  • Options

Just a Friday morning kind of thought, but what if Boris and co actually pull it off? A free trade deal with EU that basically means we are still in single market and no free movement.

Surely, May would take that to the country a year or two earlier than 2020 and win a landslide of monumental proportions?

True but the EU will not let that happen. The most likely outcome is a limited free movement (probably you must have a job offer to come here) and limited free trade deal
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Zing.

Probably. Though if the meaning is clear either way I'm relaxed about it.
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Hopefully since it is a nonsense distinction to be applied so rigidly, there'll be fewer such people.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    How about less qualified people?

Is that fewer qualified people or less-qualified people?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe Brexiteers were right about experts after all.
    Maybe that's who Gove had in mind when he made the comment.
  • Options
    Theresa May has helped lift support for the Conservative party in Wales to its highest level for six years. This is the stand-out finding from the latest Welsh Political Barometer poll, the first opinion poll to be conducted in Wales since the change of Prime Minister.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2016-09-23/owen-smith-less-popular-in-wales-than-jeremy-corbyn-as-tories-cut-labours-lead/
  • Options

Theresa May has helped lift support for the Conservative party in Wales to its highest level for six years. This is the stand-out finding from the latest Welsh Political Barometer poll, the first opinion poll to be conducted in Wales since the change of Prime Minister.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2016-09-23/owen-smith-less-popular-in-wales-than-jeremy-corbyn-as-tories-cut-labours-lead/

May seems to have boosted the Tories a little in Scotland and Wales
  • Options

On a SeanT note, I'm spending a few days in Venice with a friend next month. We like people, water, variety and colourful sights. We aren't much into buildings, galleries and other static things. Any recommendations/warnings?

Try taking a boat trip to a glass factory
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Zing.

Probably. Though if the meaning is clear either way I'm relaxed about it.
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Hopefully since it is a nonsense distinction to be applied so rigidly, there'll be fewer such people.

It is not nonsense in that there are occasions when using one is a lot clearer in meaning than the other. CD13 has given a good example. Where the meaning is clear either way there are more exciting things to get wound up about.
  • Options

Arf - 'Owen Smith less popular in Wales than Jeremy Corbyn' - Fine fellows those Welsh...
  • Options
    Westminster VI from Welsh Barometer this morning:
    Lab 35% (+1)
    Con 29% (+6)
    PC 13% (-3)
    UKIP 14% (-2)
    LibDems 7% (-1)
    Others 2% (-1)
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    This is rather odd

https://youtu.be/0EyoKB3ZHSc
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Scottish Tory Surge incoming? :o:D
  • Options

I know you said no galleries, but you must see the Carpaccios at the Gallerie dell'Accademia.

They give me goosebumps.
  • Options
    So Tories up 2% on the general election, Labour and UKIP essentially unchanged
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.
    Mr Dancer gave a very good example the other day as to why it can make a very big difference.
    I'm not saying there are not occasions less or fewer might seem better. But pedants who immediately respond 'you mean less/fewer' to any 'incorrect' usage usually pay no attention to context and are insisting it always makes a difference even when it doesn't in any real sense. It has never been a rigid universal rule which der youth get wrong and how dare they, and that is my principle objection to the pedants. English is more flexible than that. People have used it for things pedants say is not permissable for hundreds of years. So I afraid taking such a rigid view of the extent of the distinction is nonsense. That there can be a dustinction does not change that people insist the 'rule' applies more than it does. If I want to say I have less potatoes or fewer potatoes I can, but some idiot would insist on upbraiding me. The examples where it can make a difference are far outweighed by the examples it doesn't but know it alls 'correct' it.

Now, to boldly go onto another topic, splitting infinitives is also fine...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

This is rather odd

youtu.be/0EyoKB3ZHSc

Much preferred living in a right to work state, wasn't forced to join a union like in my current job.. grumble.
  • Options

Spend time on the canals, avoid the galleries! :-)

Seriously, Venice is endlessly beautiful just to wander around. It gets remarkably uncrowded very quickly away from St Mark's Square. You should definitely visit the Jewish quarter - the world's first ghetto (a Venetian word, I think). There are lots of water buses you can travel around on. There's one that goes from the train station all the way down the Grand Canal which is a great journey. Others will take you to the various islands, including the Lido. There's also a water bus from the airport across the lagoon into Venice which is pretty spectacular - especially if you have not been before.

• Options

Owen whatshisface is less popular in Wales than Jez. Perfect candidate from a Tory point of view. So useless that he has legitimised Corbyn's leadership with an even bigger mandate from the members.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.
    I'm not saying there are not occasions less or fewer might seem better. But pedants who immediately respond 'you mean less/fewer' to any 'incorrect' usage usually pay no attention to context and are insisting it always makes a difference even when it doesn't in any real sense. It has never been a rigid universal rule which der youth get wrong and how dare they, and that is my principle objection to the pedants. English is more flexible than that.

The one I have trouble with is talking about organisations as singular entities. I can't say Arsenal is fourth in the league, I have to say Arsenal are fourth in the league, even though I know it is wrong to do so.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Lab 35% (+1)
    Con 29% (+6)
    PC 13% (-3)
    UKIP 14% (-2)
    LibDems 7% (-1)
    Others 2% (-1)

Con gain Pontypridd?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

This is rather odd

Doesn't she have a voice coach or something?
    She sounds like an automaton with a glitch in its programming.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Lab 35% (+1)
    Con 29% (+6)
    PC 13% (-3)
    UKIP 14% (-2)
    LibDems 7% (-1)
    Others 2% (-1)

Con gain Pontypridd?
    Bootle is pretty close to Wales. Coincidence? I think not!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Colour me shocked, the MSM have really gone WTF over the Mary Berry story, they must be virtue signalling. Waycist!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Difficult to imagine Corbyn beating Brown, Miliband.

I think he'll get around Foot levels, but it almost depends how ruthlessly the Tories play and deep they're prepared to march into trad Labour territory.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Owen whatshisface is less popular in Wales than Jez. Perfect candidate from a Tory point of view. So useless that he has legitimised Corbyn's leadership with an even bigger mandate from the members.
    Agent Smith sent to the rescue of Agent Corbyn?

:)

Argclu would have polled better than Smith, surely?
  • Options

Arf - 'Owen Smith less popular in Wales than Jeremy Corbyn' - Fine fellows those Welsh...
    On the new boundaries these numbers produce 15 Labour and 10 Tories from Wales. A disaster for Labour of almost Scottish proportions making it ever more difficult for them to win an overall majority.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather odd

youtu.be/0EyoKB3ZHSc

Much preferred living in a right to work state, wasn't forced to join a union like in my current job.. grumble.
    She's shouting and looks like a spaceship commander - it's even weirder viewing with the sound off.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather odd

youtu.be/0EyoKB3ZHSc

She's shouting and looks like a spaceship commander - it's even weirder viewing with the sound off.
    I wonder if she's trying to "do a Trump". Totally weird.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

The only viable alternative to Corbyn before 2020 remains John McDonnell in my view
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Difficult to imagine Corbyn beating Brown, Miliband.

I think he'll get around Foot levels, but it almost depends how ruthlessly the Tories play and deep they're prepared to march into trad Labour territory.
    Indeed and the boundary changes may be significant too
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

He will do better than Foot.. in dragging his party towards total irrelevance.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather odd

youtu.be/0EyoKB3ZHSc

I wonder if she's trying to "do a Trump". Totally weird.
    Perhaps it's me but is big business stiffing small businesses not exactly what the US is about as a country? Isn't it what they seek to do to the rest of the world?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.
    I'm not saying there are not occasions less or fewer might seem better. But pedants who immediately respond 'you mean less/fewer' to any 'incorrect' usage usually pay no attention to context and are insisting it always makes a difference even when it doesn't in any real sense. It has never been a rigid universal rule which der youth get wrong and how dare they, and that is my principle objection to the pedants. English is more flexible than that.

The one I have trouble with is talking about organisations as singular entities. I can't say Arsenal is fourth in the league, I have to say Arsenal are fourth in the league, even though I know it is wrong to do so.
    Incorrect. You are correct to do so. Sports teams and bands are exceptions in British English. Only in US English are they singular.

Sainsbury's cited its new store next to White Hart Lane, where Spurs are playing tomorrow.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather odd

Doesn't she have a voice coach or something?
    She sounds like an automaton with a glitch in its programming.
    Very weird. I could never vote for her.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

The only viable alternative to Corbyn before 2020 remains John McDonnell in my view
    He may have worse views, but he is a credible and convincing figure, at first glance. He has more gravitas. Mao's book notwithstanding.
    Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

Incorrect. You are correct to do so. Sports teams and bands are exceptions in British English. Only in US English are they singular.

Sainsbury's cited its new store next to White Hart Lane, where Spurs are playing tomorrow.
    If you are indeed correct, it is a fine example of the flexibility of our 'rules' rather than applying when it adds no value to understanding.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Lab 35% (+1)
    Con 29% (+6)
    PC 13% (-3)
    UKIP 14% (-2)
    LibDems 7% (-1)
    Others 2% (-1)

Con gain Pontypridd?
    If PC could get act together, then Labour would be finished like Scotland. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

Sited?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

Ha! Sited!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

What scenario do you have in mind?

On current rules if Corbyn somehow vacates his post (death,resignation) , the PLP will nominate candidates. JMcD will not get the votes. Corbyn didn't this time.

If Corbyn is challenged again, why would JMcD enter the race?
  • Options
    At this rate, us Blues are going to have more MPs than Labour in both Scotland and Wales.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

Sited?
    Who knows, they could be citing it's awesome sales figures.
  • Options

At this rate, us Blues are going to have more MPs than Labour in both Scotland and Wales.

and England ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Media and commentators overly negative on Corbyyn. Just look at elections since 2015. Labour have won handsomely in the key ones. Overall, even keel at worst. I hate Labour, but one must always look at actual results, not potential.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited September 2016
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

Ha! Sited!
    I read that as something like: Pointing to continued investment in London,

Sainsbury's cited...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

He may have worse views, but he is a credible and convincing figure, at first glance. He has more gravitas. Mao's book notwithstanding.
    Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

If you are indeed correct, it is a fine example of the flexibility of our 'rules' rather than applying when it adds no value to understanding.
    Not flexible. Saying 'Spurs is playing tomorrow' is 100% wrong even though everyone would understand it. Robert insists on saying 'England is playing badly' etc on here - gets my goat!
  • Options
    I realise there's uncertainty about this, so let me be clear.

Those who refuse to acknowledge the fewer/lesser difference will, under a Morris Dancer government, be sent for mandatory re-education.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Only experts disregard the fact that our schoolteachers possessed absolute truth, or at least canes...

This proves there are FEWER experts around today. My grammar is LESS than perfect, mind!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

David Jack
    More than half those who voted Lab in 2015 and backed Leave have ditched their support for the party. Via @thetimes https://t.co/SoTCZfrzCx

And yet Mori has them at 34%..
    Yes. According to that Labour should be in the low 20s at best but they are not. And they had local by election wins last night. My suspicion is that despite the obsession on here most of the population have either made or accepted the decision on Brexit and moved on to more important matters. Like GBBO.
    Did you see my long piece on the difference between the customs union and the single market?
  • Options

Report on radio this morning about a lorry load of illegal immigrants stopped on the M1 by police causing chaos. Apparently they called 16 ambulances which virtually blocked a slip road in case they had got hurt in the back of the lorry.

Maybe I'm dumb but isn't that just a tiny bit over the top. Whats wrong with a minibus? No wonder our public services are in debt.

Just 12 056 enforced deportations in 2015, when Mrs May had full control of the Home Office.

Why is she regarded as competent by PB Tories?
    She didnt have full control of the home office policy. The ECJ and ECHR did.
    Although we have the second lowest deportation rate in the EU (albeit with a bigger base number), so that can't be the whole story.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

Ha! Sited!
    I read that as something like: Pointing to continued investment in London,

Sainsbury's cited...
    + @RobD

Ha! Yes I realise it wasn't actually grammatically incorrect but as I hadn't intended that meaning I thought it only gentlemanly to fess up!! (Particularly given the topic!)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Dixie said:

An outstanding night for Labour at local elections. A win in Scotland, in the South and Midlands. The party continues to reach vote shares that they did under Brown/Miliband, within MOE. The party is not dead under Corbyn, it is different. Likely unelectable in 2020 but they won't die. Also, as someone on here said, Lib Dem revival can take enough votes off Tories for Labour to slip through in some elections. All mayors will be Labour. They are strong.

To kill them they need to reach Scottish vote shares - 15% or so to bump them off. Unlikely.

I don't know how things work with by elections in PR seats, but Labour's share of first preferences actually fell in Coatbridge:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/779087540930445312
    It all seems complicated, but apparently they won! I don't understand it.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

I think British English may be the exception here. I am pretty sure the Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders refer to teams in the singular.

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

What scenario do you have in mind?

On current rules if Corbyn somehow vacates his post (death,resignation) , the PLP will nominate candidates. JMcD will not get the votes. Corbyn didn't this time.

If Corbyn is challenged again, why would JMcD enter the race?
    Key point there is current rules. Corbyn is likely not going to step down until he has control over NEC, and can change the leadership election rules to reduce nominations threshold to 5% for example. Anyway, the PLP would be wise to accept JMcD in place of Corbyn. He would stand a better chance in 2020 as he could at least be taken more seriously, even if his ideas are ultimately likely to prove too unpalatable.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:

and England ;)
    Like Labour did a few years ago. Times change quickly. Watch out for hubris.
  • Options
    While we are talking grammar, I only realised the other day - at 38 - that won't is a contraction of "would not".

Was reading some Lewis Carroll and he uses wo'n't.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

and England ;)
    Like Labour did a few years ago. Times change. Watch out for hubris.
    Hubris? Never! ;)
  • Options

Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

I think British English may be the exception here. I am pretty sure the Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders refer to teams in the singular.

Yep, New World English generally they are singular. However it's a stretch to call British English an exception given that it's the mother form of the language.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

All Blacks definitely plural!
  • Options

While we are talking grammar, I only realised the other day - at 38 - that won't is a contraction of "would not".

Was reading some Lewis Carroll and he uses wo'n't.

For your reading pleasure -- https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_double_contractions
  • Options

Leaverstan for me is that section of England and Wales between the two. Overwhelmingly Labour voting, not or never needed for a Conservative majority, sometimes depopulating, ex industrial, very reliant on the State and crucially often at least partially responsible for it's own decline. A tendency to blame everything on Thatcher, elect crap one party state councils and overly nostalgic.

You might argue that they're now increasing in population - but renting a room in Brixton or Hackney doesn't seem preferable to me to owning a house in Bolsover or Castle Point.

I'm sure we'll be told how 'creative' Remainastan is. But the word 'creative' always brings to my mind Jez from Peep Show and the lyrics from this song:

I've just done a quick calculation on home ownership levels in Leaverstan * and Remainastan **

Leaverstan 70%
    Remainastan 31%

Of course different people have different lifestyle wishes and requirements but what does the average person with an average family and an average job want ? To own their own semi or to 'rent a flat above a shop' ?

* Leaverstan being the 12 parliamentary constituencies in the top 10 Leave areas (9 of these constituencies being Conservative incidentally).

** Remainastan being the 13 constituencies in the boroughs of Camden, Hackney, Haringey, Islington, Lambeth and Southwark.
  • Options
    I think Australians use are instead of is as well for team sports, at least the few I know do that. It's Americans and Canadians who use is for team sports, which irritates me. Especially if I have Kindle books from the US Amazon shop as they refer to teams in the "is they playing" manner. :/
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I've just done a quick calculation on home ownership levels in Leaverstan * and Remainastan **

Leaverstan 70%
    Remainastan 31%

Of course different people have different lifestyle wishes and requirements but what does the average person with an average family and an average job want ? To own their own semi or to 'rent a flat above a shop' ?

* Leaverstan being the 12 parliamentary constituencies in the top 10 Leave areas (9 of these constituencies being Conservative incidentally).

** Remainastan being the 13 constituencies in the boroughs of Camden, Hackney, Haringey, Islington, Lambeth and Southwark.
    Wasn't Richmond-upon-Thames also 70% Remain?

Edit to add: and Hammersmith & Fulham
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not a f****** myth.

Ha! Sited!
    There is a law (Sod's?) that any post correcting another's grammar or spelling contains a tipee.

• Options

Those who refuse to acknowledge the fewer/lesser difference will, under a Morris Dancer government, be sent for mandatory re-education.

Agreed. How difficult is it to understand:

If we're discussing something discrete, it's fewer.
    If we're discussing something continuous, it's less.

Less water, fewer voters. You can't count water (you measure it), you can count voters.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Agreed. How difficult is it to understand:

If we're discussing something discrete, it's fewer.
    If we're discussing something continuous, it's less.

Less water, fewer voters. You can't count water (you measure it), you can count voters.
    I can be less qualified or have fewer qualifications, though.
  • Options
    Was in the Efra social club in Brixton with some mates last weekend. We mused that it would be more relaxing if still a con club. Does this mean we're getting old? #notyetthirty
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Dixie said:

HYUFD said:

Media and commentators overly negative on Corbyyn. Just look at elections since 2015. Labour have won handsomely in the key ones. Overall, even keel at worst. I hate Labour, but one must always look at actual results, not potential.
    In Scotland, London, and Wales, Labour's vote share was slightly down on 2015. In the English Districts, it was broadly the same. That's not good for an Opposition.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

Trump is going to lose votes compared to Romney in all the places that don't matter, like Utah and Vermont. On the other hand he's going to pick up votes where needed in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

Looking at the demographics of voter registration (which US states are ludicrously generous with) there has been no surge of white registration, things are in trend for Pew's prediction of the least white electorate ever.

With no increase in non-voter participation Trump is reliant on flipping Dem voters. Dem voters who were turned out by Obama's clinical GOTV operation and need to be turned out by Trump's anemic operation that has never targeted them before.

If going into election day a sate is polling 50/50 I'm going to call it for Clinton on the strength of the GOTV.
This discussion has been closed.