Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dreadful set of local election results overnight sees CON l

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Interesting set of By Election results.

Seems strangely at odds with polls but i guess local circumstances at least partly responsible.

3 Lab gains, wonder when that last happened!!

JICIPM?
  • Options

From the Birmingham Mail, the headline of the month:

Heartless gnome beheading massacre at "tourist hotspot"

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/heartless-gnome-beheading-massacre-tourist-11918718
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

With the Northern Powerhouse looking less likely, and hard Brexit more likely, George Osborne does seem to be positioning himself as the "I told you so" candidate.

And winning praise from lefties in doing so.

Relatively high risk for Osborne - I thought it was Cameron who liked a political gamble....
    Well I don't see any low risk options for Osbo, given his profile and popularity.

Anyhow, there isn't any space to the left of Corbyn, and the small amount of space to the right of May is already over-crowded. So politics awaits someone ambitious anywhere from ex Cameroons through LibDem to Blairite who can stake out and build support around any sort of 'moderate' position.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Lord O'Neill resigns as infrastructure minister. Annoyed by Hinkley review, Northern Powerhouse "wobble" and grammar school policy, am told.

This is much more a problem for May than one week's set of local election results.
    I can't imagine why, Mr. J.. One of Osborne's old mates who nobody had ever heard of and whose work (if any) was invisible to the average person and whose achievements are not visible to the naked eye has resigned. Wow! That is really going to be the top topic of conversation in homes and pubs this evening.
    Jim is definitely someone the government want on their side. It's a shame to lose him so carelessly. I do now fear for the northern powerhouse strategy, something which was finally gaining ground.
    Indeed. Just because it was Osborne's darling, doesn't make it a bad idea.

May's in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Worse, it makes her government look more south-focused.

The north needs some love.
    Absolutely. I was hoping that being a backbench champion of the Northern Powerhouse idea, would be George Osborne's route to redemption within the Conservative party.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Seems strangely at odds with polls but i guess local circumstances at least partly responsible.

JICIPM?
    Ha, ha, ha. (Dies laughing).

I suppose it could happen, but we'd need to rewrite everything anybody knows about marginal seats and Tory-Labour switchers etc etc. Then again, I guess that is the Corbynista shtick - that everything has changed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

With the Northern Powerhouse looking less likely, and hard Brexit more likely, George Osborne does seem to be positioning himself as the "I told you so" candidate.

Relatively high risk for Osborne - I thought it was Cameron who liked a political gamble....
    Well I don't see any low risk options for Osbo, given his profile and popularity.

Anyhow, there isn't any space to the left of Corbyn, and the small amount of space to the right of May is already over-crowded. So politics awaits someone ambitious anywhere from ex Cameroons through LibDem to Blairite who can stake out and build support around any sort of 'moderate' position.
    Maybe Osborne actually just believes that 'I told you so' will work, because he genuinely thinks it is going to be car crash. Radical I know.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

619 said:

New US polls

National

Marist:

Clinton 48
    Trump 41

AP

Clinton 45
    Trump 35
    Johnson 9

Big gap for Trump there. Third poll in 2 days with Clinton with a 6+ national lead with LV's

Yes - all eyes on FL polling now. If that starts to trend back to Hillary, Trump is in real trouble.
    Trump is presently polling better than any Republican candidate since George W Bush on average with RCP, he is not in trouble yet and of course the first debate is on Monday
    Trump back (just) below 40% and Clinton just above 60% chnace of winning Presidency on 538.
    Florida: Trump 46.4%, Clinton 46.0%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    IanB2 said:

On topic, I forgot to ask my parents how they voted in the Hadleigh by-election. It seems that the collapse in the UKIP vote was as relevant as the slide in the Conservative vote.

The Lib Dems for long had the county council seat in Hadleigh. So this is a reassertion of past local strength as much as a reflection on the Tories' transatlantic representation.

The interesting thing is that what some years ago was the common assumption - that UKIP would take anti-EU votes from the Tories - has turned out to be dramatically wrong.

For every retired Sussex Colonel who switched Tory to UKIP there have been plenty of WWC Labour-to-UKIP switchers as well as NOTO/protest LibDem to UKIP voters. So as UKIP unwinds the benefit isn't accruing to the Tories as once would have been thought, and the "Tory + UKIP votes = right-wing majority" line is misguided.
    wwc UKIP voters are socially conservative if not economically conservative
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,218
    The loss of Hadleigh also means the Tories lose control of Suffolk CC. I think the Conservatives can expect a pretty gloomy autumn. Meanwhile the Corbyn fiasco is driving the Labour party ever closer to the edge. Looks like the tide is indeed turning for the Lib Dems. Given the amazing volatility over the past few years, their recovery might be faster than anyone now thinks. Is the market on the Witney by-election up yet?
  • Options
    It is the hope that will kill the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    OT today really does feel like the last day of summer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Blair and Cameron lost local government by elections, Hague and Miliband won them, they are largely useless in identifying any national trend. Far more significant is yougov today which has the Tories up two percent on the general election to 39% under May

But can we rely on opinion polls given their recent form?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2016
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Lord O'Neill resigns as infrastructure minister. Annoyed by Hinkley review, Northern Powerhouse "wobble" and grammar school policy, am told.

This is much more a problem for May than one week's set of local election results.
    I can't imagine why, Mr. J.. One of Osborne's old mates who nobody had ever heard of and whose work (if any) was invisible to the average person and whose achievements are not visible to the naked eye has resigned. Wow! That is really going to be the top topic of conversation in homes and pubs this evening.
    Jim is definitely someone the government want on their side. It's a shame to lose him so carelessly. I do now fear for the northern powerhouse strategy, something which was finally gaining ground.

May's in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Worse, it makes her government look more south-focused.

Absolutely. I was hoping that being a backbench champion of the Northern Powerhouse idea, would be George Osborne's route to redemption within the Conservative party.
    He had to first do a mea culpa and admit all his mistakes. Whereas at present Osborne is stuck in a denial stage.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

TOPPING said:

@BJO

Best wishes to you and Mrs BJO.

Seconded (or forty seconded as the case may be).
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words, just come away for a bit as told Op will take at least a further 3 hours.

Horrible waiting but remaining optimistic.
    All the best sir.
  • Options

Why? Hope is to LibDems as blood is to vampires. Or something like that, anyway.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe Osborne actually just believes that 'I told you so' will work, because he genuinely thinks it is going to be car crash. Radical I know.
    Osborne has not even apologised for saying there would be an emergency budget and then announcing that he was not having one.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

@BJO

Best wishes to you and Mrs BJO.

Seconded (or forty seconded as the case may be).
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words, just come away for a bit as told Op will take at least a further 3 hours.

Horrible waiting but remaining optimistic.
    All the best sir.
    And from me. As someone for whom a potential back operation is just starting to loom on the horizon, you both have my empathy as well as good wishes!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Blair and Cameron lost local government by elections, Hague and Miliband won them, they are largely useless in identifying any national trend. Far more significant is yougov today which has the Tories up two percent on the general election to 39% under May

But can we rely on opinion polls given their recent form?
    They predicted the 2001 and 2015 elections better than local government by elections
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

I genuinely don't get the idea of TMay as a hard right politician. So far, most of what we've seen has been pretty centrist, she just comes across as "tougher" than her predecessor. There's really not as much open space in the centre ground as some seem to suggest.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

619 said:

New US polls

National

Marist:

Clinton 48
    Trump 41

AP

Clinton 45
    Trump 35
    Johnson 9

Big gap for Trump there. Third poll in 2 days with Clinton with a 6+ national lead with LV's

Yes - all eyes on FL polling now. If that starts to trend back to Hillary, Trump is in real trouble.
    Trump is presently polling better than any Republican candidate since George W Bush on average with RCP, he is not in trouble yet and of course the first debate is on Monday
    Trump back (just) below 40% and Clinton just above 60% chnace of winning Presidency on 538.
    Florida: Trump 46.4%, Clinton 46.0%
    So this election remains the closest in the EC since 2000
  • Options
    How is May going to cope with the loss of Lord O'Neill? Does she not realise how crucial the support of Goldman Sachs bankers is to winning swing voters in the Midlands?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited September 2016
    It'll take rather more than a run of little local council by-election results to convince me that there's anything significant going on here. The final national voter intention polls for GE2015 were accurate for all parties, save for that critical 3% swing from Lab to Con - and the Lib Dems were sat on about 8% before that election, they won 8% of the vote on the day, and they're still stuck on 8% now.

When they are consistently outpolling Ukip again nationally, then it might be time to start thinking about the extent of any possible revival.
  • Options

Still on 8% with yougov today, council elections are not general elections
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Ishmael_X said:

JICIPM?
    Ha, ha, ha. (Dies laughing).

I suppose it could happen, but we'd need to rewrite everything anybody knows about marginal seats and Tory-Labour switchers etc etc. Then again, I guess that is the Corbynista shtick - that everything has changed.
    I agree, in the business as usual scenario. The caveat I have is that, if Brexit goes seriously pear shaped (which I concede looks less likely now than some envisaged, but still not completely improbable), then a Corbyn PM is actually a reasonably likely consequence. After all, the Tories' edge is always supposed to be economic competence (cf. the damage done to them by Black Wednesday), but the argument that everything the Tories have told us about economics - from Thatcher's free-market deregulation through privatisation, austerity, and then Brexit - has turned out to be wrong would, in that scenario, be there to be made.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

An average Goldmans partner who was best known for coining the phrase "BRICs" 15 years ago realises that for all the time he spent kissing ar*e, he'd been kissing the wrong one and decides not to waste his time where there is no preferment on the horizon.
    So cynical...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

but the argument that everything the Tories have told us about economics - from Thatcher's free-market deregulation through privatisation, austerity, and then Brexit - has turned out to be untrue would, in that scenario, be there to be made.

Except that would be Osborne's argument.

"Everything I told you about privatisation, austerity and Brexit turned out to be true. Everything Boris told you turned out to be nonsense. Who do you want as leader now?"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/heartless-gnome-beheading-massacre-tourist-11918718

I blame IS.

I heard Mohamad Gnome-mates is claiming responsibility.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Ishmael_X said:

JICIPM?
    Naaah very unlikely.

Party will not be sufficiently united to stand a chance of winning in 2020 unfortunately
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

UKIP/LibDem crossover after Witney?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Animal_pb said:

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

I genuinely don't get the idea of TMay as a hard right politician. So far, most of what we've seen has been pretty centrist, she just comes across as "tougher" than her predecessor. There's really not as much open space in the centre ground as some seem to suggest.
    Too early to say? It may be 'what she says' v 'what she does'.

May's Downing Street words were reassuringly moderate (but then so were Thatcher's). Brexit is right-wing (on the basis that its principal champions have always been right-wing Tories and UKIP) and the harder flavours that appear to be heading our way are the more right wing. Grammar schools is another policy popular mostly with righter-wing Tories. Gove's prison reforms were moderate and have been ditched. Despite the talk about helping ordinary people struggling with their bills and the housing market there have been no concrete proposals as yet.

Edit/ and anyway my point was that the political space to her right is already crowded, which is clearly true!
  • Options

I blame IS.

David Gnome-mates shurely?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Witney voted Remain in EU ref so even if the LDs beat UKIP in the by election that does not mean crossover nationally
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    MTimT said:
    Yeah, that makes sense. The debates are important for both, but I can't see Trump ( without a teleprompter) not responding in a sexist/racist way, especially when his racist birther issues for the last 8 years comes up.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Yup, you have to pay careful attention to whether polls are reporting Registered Voters, All Respondents, Likely Voters etc as their result.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Witney voted Remain in EU ref so even if the LDs beat UKIP in the by election that does not mean crossover nationally
    My question referred to the national polls, but are you conceding that UKIP will not do well in the by-election?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited September 2016
    OT another mystery wrapped in a riddle wrapped in the great Donald Trump enigma:
    1) Tactical genius
    2) Guy mashing buttons at random
    3) Mainly interested in selling steaks

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-ad-strategy-228505
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I blame IS.

David Gnome-mates shurely?
    I think he is known locally as Dave.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

An average Goldmans partner who was best known for coining the phrase "BRICs" 15 years ago realises that for all the time he spent kissing ar*e, he'd been kissing the wrong one and decides not to waste his time where there is no preferment on the horizon.
    So cynical...
    Such a strong argument against my thesis ;)
  • Options
    On the Betfair Next Prez market, you can currently back Hillary at 1.59 and Trump at 3.15. That leaves over 5% of the probability space unaccounted for. OK, that's more sane than the 9% that was implicilty backing the tooth-fairy a couple of weeks ago, but it's still far too high. It requires you to believe that there's a 5% chance of:

- At least one of Hillary and Trump withdrawing from the contest in the next 6 weeks, and in practice much sooner
    - Some other credible candidate getting on ballot papers, from a standing start, in enough states to get serious traction in the electoral college
    - And (perhaps most implausible of all) that all this turmoil won't simply hand the contest straight over to whichever of the current two candidates is still standing.

So it may well be that both Hillary and Trump are value at the moment.
  • Options

OT another mystery wrapped in a riddle wrapped in the great Donald Trump enigma:
    1) Tactical genius

Weren't they spending (or so they claimed) without budget limits on facebook and other targeted social media ads?

Could be much more effective (and cheaper) than expensive statewide TV adverts.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Animal_pb said:

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Left/Right isn't a useful distinction nowadays. Unless you are talking about Corbyn, who is a dinosaur, frankly. Probably more useful are the two dimensional economic and moral axes. How much should the State intervene in our economic welfare, through industrial policy, redistributive taxation and welfare? Should government be concerned in a well ordered society (conservative)? Or should it encourage individuals to do whatever they want (liberal)?

Theresa May appears to be more of an economic interventionist than you might expect for a Tory while being morally somewhat conservative as is typical of a mainstream Tory. Cameron and Osborne are the other way round on those axes
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

My question referred to the national polls, but are you conceding that UKIP will not do well in the by-election?
    UKIP are still on the same voteshare as they got at the general election as are the LDs with yougov today, who knows what will happen in the by election but all I will say is Witney is not ideal UKIP territory
  • Options
    Charles said:

1) Tactical genius

Weren't they spending (or so they claimed) without budget limits on facebook and other targeted social media ads?

Could be much more effective (and cheaper) than expensive statewide TV adverts.
    Possibly, but that doesn't explain the TV ads going on and off apparently at random.

Maybe it's genuinely random, and they're doing A/B testing to find out if they actually work...
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

So cynical...
    I'm sure a 20 minute coffee with him would disabuse you of much of it.
  • Options
    Interesting

@faisalislam: Schulz really wants Article 50 triggered in time for the UK not to participate in European Parliament elections 2019
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

but the argument that everything the Tories have told us about economics - from Thatcher's free-market deregulation through privatisation, austerity, and then Brexit - has turned out to be untrue would, in that scenario, be there to be made.

Except that would be Osborne's argument.

"Everything I told you about privatisation, austerity and Brexit turned out to be true. Everything Boris told you turned out to be nonsense. Who do you want as leader now?"
    I don't think so. Aside from austerity having been Osborne's baby, I suggest the Tory brand is indelibly stained with euro scepticism now. It would be no easier for the Tories to reinvent themselves as a pro-EU party as it would for Labour to rediscover its love (OK, well, support) for Blair.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

So cynical...
    There's a politer way of putting it, which he has spent years doing stuff for one master, with whom he developed a good working relationship, and he doesn't want to start all over with a new one.

Comes to the same thing, I guess.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It would be no easier for the Tories to reinvent themselves as a pro-EU party as it would for Labour to rediscover its love (OK, well, support) for Blair.

Except the first Tory PM to win outright in decades and his Chancellor were avowedly pro-EU. No reinvention required.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Especially if you believe, as I do, that it is regional inequality and the underperformance of the country outside London, that holds back the entire country.
    Sadly May does not seem to interested in the rest of the country outside London and instead prefers to play political games rather than actually doing something constructive.

"Mrs May’s primary concerns regarding English devolution is that she’s nervous about giving senior Labour politicians a platform and giving them the opportunity to consolidate and reinforce their fragmenting heartlands."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/nikki-knowles/brexit_b_12132854.html

I see also that part of O'Neill's reasons for resigning is May's grammar school faff. No doubt he will just be dismissed as a posh boy, who went to a private school and wants to keep the elites entrenched position.
    He went to OGH's school! And that's definitely not a private one...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277
    The loss of Lord O'Neill is a disappointing weakening of the government. When we are focussed on how we are going to make our way in the world post Brexit his help and experience really should have been invaluable. Just another disappointment I'm afraid.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: No City deal without FoM says Schulz: "I refuse to imagine a Europe where lorries/hedge funds are free to cross borders but citizens cannot"
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The loss of Lord O'Neill is a disappointing weakening of the government. When we are focussed on how we are going to make our way in the world post Brexit his help and experience really should have been invaluable. Just another disappointment I'm afraid.

I doubt he's the only one who could help.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    Charles said:

@rcs1000 FPT

Islington is very representative of Islington?

How well does PRC represent your needs?

You remind me of one of my favourite Jim O'Neill anecdotes. Goldman Sachs had a big conference, and JO'N was headlining, talking about China. He started:

"I've just spent a week in China, and I can tell you that there is no appetite for democracy there at this time." (Or words to that effect.)

Next up was Peter Sutherland who said:

"I'm so glad that Jim was able to divine from his meetings with members of the Chinese Politburo that the average Chinese person doesn't want democracy."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: No City deal without FoM says Schulz: "I refuse to imagine a Europe where lorries/hedge funds are free to cross borders but citizens cannot"

Schulz really is an idiot.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    MTimT said:
    I had forgotten that Obama said in 2008 Hillary was "likeable enough".

He lied.

Edit to add: Trump threw away a winning card by accusing Clinton of inventing birtherism; all the rebuttals I have seen concede that the Clinton campaign enthusiastically took up birtherism and ran with it, but say that doesn't mean they invented it. It seems to me that that is worse - all the moral abhorrability of making the claim, without the good marks for ingenuity for having invented it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

Charles,

Given you seem to find it necessary to mention all the great and good you meet, I'm not sure you should be the one throwing around accusations of ar*e licking. ;)

Oh, and how's the Garden Bridge going?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    FF43 said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

So cynical...
    There's a politer way of putting it, which he has spent years doing stuff for one master, with whom he developed a good working relationship, and he doesn't want to start all over with a new one.

Comes to the same thing, I guess.
    I think he's only been at the Treasury for 3 years so hardly a lifetime loyalty.

As he said in July, unless May could convince him that she had a good strategy for the North and the UKs international trade relations he was going to be off in September. Ultimately, he will have looked at the mess government is in and decided there are better things to do with his life.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Scott_P said:

Good ole Schulz, popping up and reminding people yet again why they voted leave
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    IanB2 said:

On topic, I forgot to ask my parents how they voted in the Hadleigh by-election. It seems that the collapse in the UKIP vote was as relevant as the slide in the Conservative vote.

The Lib Dems for long had the county council seat in Hadleigh. So this is a reassertion of past local strength as much as a reflection on the Tories' transatlantic representation.

The interesting thing is that what some years ago was the common assumption - that UKIP would take anti-EU votes from the Tories - has turned out to be dramatically wrong.

For every retired Sussex Colonel who switched Tory to UKIP there have been plenty of WWC Labour-to-UKIP switchers as well as NOTO/protest LibDem to UKIP voters. So as UKIP unwinds the benefit isn't accruing to the Tories as once would have been thought, and the "Tory + UKIP votes = right-wing majority" line is misguided.
    People have always confused UKIP leadership and membership, with UKIP voters. the Tory + UKIP line may apply for MPs etc but certainly not amongst voters. If ever there was a UKIP-Tory coalition, UKIP would suffer a similar fate to the Lib Dems with their northern voters who are very much anti-Tory (without being lefties either).

There's no progressive majority but neither is there a right wing majority in this country. People are generally more economically 'left wing' and more socially 'right wing' than the media/politicians assume.

I think brexit has also shattered the "small c-conservative" idea about Brits as well (which I believed myself and was why I figured remain would win!)
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

MTimT said:

He lied.

Edit to add: Trump threw away a winning card by accusing Clinton of inventing birtherism; all the rebuttals I have seen concede that the Clinton campaign enthusiastically took up birtherism and ran with it, but say that doesn't mean they invented it. It seems to me that that is worse - all the moral abhorrability of making the claim, without the good marks for ingenuity for having invented it.
    Have any leading Republicans said anything about Trump?
  • Options

1) Tactical genius

4) Mainly interested in selling stakes

http://tinyurl.com/p968vus
  • Options

It requires you to believe that there's a 5% chance of:
    - Some other credible candidate getting on ballot papers, from a standing start, in enough states to get serious traction in the electoral college

I don't think that's necessary. The Betfair rules refer to post-election "projected electoral votes" after the election; If Hillary falls over and the Dems substitute Kaine/Biden/Gillibrand it's hard to see them not projecting any electors in states with Hillary still on the ballot for the Dem nominee.

And (perhaps most implausible of all) that all this turmoil won't simply hand the contest straight over to whichever of the current two candidates is still standing.

In a normal election that might be true, but this one consists of two exceptionally unpopular candidates. Each of them is only a plausible winner because the other is so electorally unattractive. And if Hillary dropped out I don't think there would be a lot of turmoil: The DNC would pick someone and Hillary would agree, or vice versa, and that person would be strongly favoured against Trump.

The real problem with this scenario is just that it's very hard to imagine either of these candidates dropping out. But if Hillary is really, really sick, quite a lot of insiders must know about it. Secrets that a few dozen people know about are the kind of thing that prediction markets are very efficient at pricing in, which is an argument against betting on this unless you're in on them too...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277

DavidL said:

I doubt he's the only one who could help.

The more the merrier. This is a really big and complicated project. It needs our best brains and a lot of non government input. And at the moment we have Liam Fox and David Davis.

Sigh.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

People have always confused UKIP leadership and membership, with UKIP voters. the Tory + UKIP line may apply for MPs etc but certainly not amongst voters. If ever there was a UKIP-Tory coalition, UKIP would suffer a similar fate to the Lib Dems with their northern voters who are very much anti-Tory (without being lefties either).

There's no progressive majority but neither is there a right wing majority in this country. People are generally more economically 'left wing' and more socially 'right wing' than the media/politicians assume.

I think brexit has also shattered the "small c-conservative" idea about Brits as well (which I believed myself and was why I figured remain would win!)
    Can I ask your age? Because I would have thought that small c conservativism would favour brexit, but that may be because I am so incredibly old that 1973 counts as recent to me.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

It would be no easier for the Tories to reinvent themselves as a pro-EU party as it would for Labour to rediscover its love (OK, well, support) for Blair.

Except the first Tory PM to win outright in decades and his Chancellor were avowedly pro-EU. No reinvention required.
    That bridge is burned, the PM is gone, and the Chancellor almost gone. Go talk to some Tory activists; they aren't crying.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

Scott_P said:

Citizens will be able to move. The only question is can they take a job and / or collect benefits when they do so...
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

For the moment I agree, but it's early days, and she hasn't made the difficult choices yet. I think her policies will actually be relatively "centre ground" (if you take whatever happens with Brexit out of the equation), but she is going to end up trying to ape Thatcher in style (to be fair the only 2 relevant successful role models for PM are Thatcher and Blair, and she could never pull off Blair), which will affect opinion of her.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

So cynical...
    Coffee with a Man U fan?

*splutters*
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

MTimT said:

He lied.

As in, called him likeable? I very much doubt it. I don't see what your point is.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

That bridge is burned, the PM is gone, and the Chancellor almost gone. Go talk to some Tory activists; they aren't crying.
    I would put it that 70%+ of Conservative activists are happy to see the back of Cameron and Osborne. The ConHome ratings of the pair were dreadful at the end.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    edited September 2016
    IanB2 said:

Brexit is right-wing (on the basis that its principal champions have always been right-wing Tories and UKIP)

Brexit was voted for by the majority and is by its very nature neither left wing or right wing, but populist...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

@rcs1000 FPT

Islington is very representative of Islington?

How well does PRC represent your needs?

You remind me of one of my favourite Jim O'Neill anecdotes. Goldman Sachs had a big conference, and JO'N was headlining, talking about China. He started:

"I've just spent a week in China, and I can tell you that there is no appetite for democracy there at this time." (Or words to that effect.)

Next up was Peter Sutherland who said:

"I'm so glad that Jim was able to divine from his meetings with members of the Chinese Politburo that the average Chinese person doesn't want democracy."
    I remember that story. Peter could wield a stiletto to great effect when he wanted :)
  • Options

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

Charles,

Given you seem to find it necessary to mention all the great and good you meet, I'm not sure you should be the one throwing around accusations of ar*e licking. ;)

I've never met O'Neill, FWIW. I'm just being rude about him on principle.

• Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

So cynical...
    Coffee with a Man U fan?

*splutters*
    Prawn sandwich?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Brexit is right-wing (on the basis that its principal champions have always been right-wing Tories and UKIP)

Brexit was voted for by the majority and is by its very nature neither left wing or right wing, but populist...
    Even within the Tory party it was always a right-wing obsession, and you see the same across Europe - it's generally the right wing parties (Le Pen et al) who are leading the anti-EU crusade.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Even within the Tory party it was always a right-wing obsession, and you see the same across Europe - it's generally the right wing parties (Le Pen et al) who are leading the anti-EU crusade.
    I voted Labour at the GE2015.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

On the Betfair Next Prez market, you can currently back Hillary at 1.59 and Trump at 3.15. That leaves over 5% of the probability space unaccounted for. OK, that's more sane than the 9% that was implicilty backing the tooth-fairy a couple of weeks ago, but it's still far too high. It requires you to believe that there's a 5% chance of:

- At least one of Hillary and Trump withdrawing from the contest in the next 6 weeks, and in practice much sooner
    - And (perhaps most implausible of all) that all this turmoil won't simply hand the contest straight over to whichever of the current two candidates is still standing.

So it may well be that both Hillary and Trump are value at the moment.

Better than the bank !

Hillary Clinton 1.58 £662.39 £384.19

Donald Trump 3.1 £337.61 £708.98

4.43% yield in 2 months.
  • Options
    We can draw the following conclusions from recent council by elections:

(1) The Tories are in government
    (2) The Lib Dems are back in opposition
    (2a) Lib Dem activists once more care about local by elections much more than activists of the main parties
    (2b) [possibly] The Lib Dems are starting to get back some of the "plague on all your houses" voters that they lost to UKIP at the 2015 general election in droves
    (3) Er...
    (4) That's it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Hmm. Not sure I'd call the Five Star movement or Syriza right wing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Why? Hope is to LibDems as blood is to vampires. Or something like that, anyway.
    They think they are on their way back after gaining 18 seats in 4 months. Ignoring the fact that they are still under 2,000 seats. At their peak they had 5,000. At 100 seat gains a year it will take them 30 years to get back to where they once were.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

IanB2 said:

Can I ask your age? Because I would have thought that small c conservativism would favour brexit, but that may be because I am so incredibly old that 1973 counts as recent to me.
    26, so for me Brexit is definitely the more 'radical' option, I was 2 when John Major was dealing with his bastards over Maastricht :)

I'd have thought even for those who well remember life pre-EEC, the 'small c' option would have been to remain simply because we've been a member for so long. It would be like going back to pre-decimal currency, I'd say that's radical rather than small-c conservative.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

IanB2 said:

26, so for me Brexit is definitely the more 'radical' option, I was 2 when John Major was dealing with his bastards over Maastricht :)

I'd have thought even for those who well remember life pre-EEC, the 'small c' option would have been to remain simply because we've been a member for so long. It would be like going back to pre-decimal currency, I'd say that's radical rather than small-c conservative.
    "for so long" - feels like a couple of months ago to me.

Actually I exaggerate, I was just too young to vote in 1975.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2016

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I voted Labour at the GE2015.
    and you'll have to live with that ghastly thought forever whirring around in your head...

Voting for Miliband Jr.. Yikes!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

Why?

Charles,
    I've never met O'Neill, FWIW. I'm just being rude about him on principle.
    Ah BRICs. I wonder what O'Neill thinks about the growing build up of Chinese debt compared to the eventual impact that Japanese debt had on its economy.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

Ishmael_X said:

MTimT said:

He lied.

Ishmael_X said:

MTimT said:

He lied.

Quite a few have said he is a crazy racist who shouldn't be allowed near nuclear weapons. Kaisach is the obvious one!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sounds like some fun and games at Lords. Adam Lyth is serving up some buffet bowling to encourage Middlesex to declare.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Hmm. Not sure I'd call the Five Star movement or Syriza right wing.
    Yes, fair challenge. I guess more recently a new left-leaning populism is emerging that doesn't accept the EU consensus, which arguably Corbyn is on the edge of. Nevertheless as a strand of political thought it has generally been true that nationalism is identified with the right and internationalism with the left, notwithstanding that there are plenty of left-voters who are nationalist and vice versa.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

They think they are on their way back after gaining 18 seats in 4 months. Ignoring the fact that they are still under 2,000 seats. At their peak they had 5,000. At 100 seat gains a year it will take them 30 years to get back to where they once were.
    That assumes the rate does not change - in either direction, of course. But if Labour continue to the left, and May takes the Conservatives to the right, there may be plenty of room for the LD's to gather up votes.

It would take a change in the voting system for them to win, but I certainly think there's good potential for a strong centrist, liberal voice to appeal to people.

But that assumes that the centre ground opens up for them, and that they get the media attention that has been rather lacking for them of late.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    Toxic failure George Osborne is still angling to be PM then?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/george-osborne-warns-wont-fumble-next-leadership-bid/
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Twitter up 15% on bid rumours. Google and Salesforce said to be interested. Lets see if the board take the deal this time, or if the rumours are true. I hope not, Twitter should be consigned to the dustbin of history, it has had a corrosive effect on society by giving the loudest voices a stage to irritate and drown out moderate voices.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

That assumes the rate does not change - in either direction, of course. But if Labour continue to the left, and May takes the Conservatives to the right, there may be plenty of room for the LD's to gather up votes.
    It would take a change in the voting system for them to win, but I certainly think there's good potential for a strong centrist, liberal voice to appeal to people.
    But that assumes that the centre ground opens up for them, and that they get the media attention that has been rather lacking for them of late.
    Yes, possible that they could gain from the abandoned centrist Lab voters. But this is about the rate of progress in large bites each year. Could they increase by more than 1,500 in 2017, 2018 and 2019 to go into 2020 GE with circa 3,500? I doubt it, but if they really want to be able to gain 30+ seats that is the sort of cllr base they would need to get to. Boasting about a few cllr by elections is just fluff.

The big danger for them could be if the Greens picked up those votes.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Infratest dimap:

CDU/CSU: 32%
    SPD: 22%
    AfD: 16%
    Green: 12%
    Left: 8%
    FDP: 6%

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2016
    GIN1138 said:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/george-osborne-warns-wont-fumble-next-leadership-bid/

Brutal stuff.
    "As for his absurd and untrue claim that Brexit would make people £4,300 worse-off? Polls showed that just 7 per cent of the country believed him — fewer than believe that Elvis is still alive."
    "The word ‘fumble’ doesn’t begin to describe what Osborne did to the Remain campaign. As Will Straw and Nick Clegg now both admit, his £4,300-worse-off intervention inflicted more damage on his side than any attack line from Vote Leave. "
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Middlesex declare. Yorkshire need 240 of 40. Current Betting:

Yorkshire 4/6
    Middlesex 5/2
    Somerset 4/1
  • Options

1) Tactical genius

That's the best argument I've yet heard for electing Trump: it will show that blanketing TV with ads doesn't work so hopefully in future everyone might stop doing it...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Twitter should be consigned to the dustbin of history, it has had a corrosive effect on society by giving the loudest voices a stage to irritate and drown out moderate voices.

You're following the wrong people.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2016
    MaxPB said:

Twitter up 15% on bid rumours. Google and Salesforce said to be interested. Lets see if the board take the deal this time, or if the rumours are true. I hope not, Twitter should be consigned to the dustbin of history, it has had a corrosive effect on society by giving the loudest voices a stage to irritate and drown out moderate voices.

Google and crappy social networks...that sounds about right...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    GIN1138 said:

Is this about his leadership bid in 2027 or thereabouts?
  • Options
    @MattChorley: Channel 4 is about to buy Twitter. But without Likes or DMs. Or Tweets
This discussion has been closed.