Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dreadful set of local election results overnight sees CON l

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    New thread
  • Options
    corporeal said:

RobD said:

corporeal said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joe Rich Law
    "How do I leave the Labour Party" is the UK's top-trending question on #Google before #Lab16 https://t.co/kDXY1ULnGs #Corbyn #Conference

I have just checked this. It isn't true.
    The tweet came from a Google themselves. Why would they make it up?
    If you click through to the image it says "top trending questions on the Labour party in the UK in the last 24 hours"
    Yes, so I don't see why it is supposedly inaccurate.
    Because "uk's top trending question" doesn't have the "on the Labour party" qualifier. It did give me pause because the idea it might be the unqualified top question seemed incredible to say the least.
    Oh, I was reading the google tweet which is pretty clear. I didn't for one moment think it could be the most asked question in the UK, since that's surely be something to do with the GBBO.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    RobD said:

They are guaranteeing all existing projects though, so I don't see what the big issue is apart from the rush to get the application submitted by the deadline. I think it's fair that new funding after November be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
    Leaves promise was that all the £5.3bn planned EU regional funding for this EU budget cycle would go ahead, not just those signed off by an arbitrary deadline.

Still if Labour Leave voters were stupid enough to vote out on the basis of Tory promises, more fool them.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

RobD said:

They are guaranteeing all existing projects though, so I don't see what the big issue is apart from the rush to get the application submitted by the deadline. I think it's fair that new funding after November be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
    Leaves promise was that all the £5.3bn planned EU regional funding for this EU budget cycle would go ahead, not just those signed off by an arbitrary deadline.

Still if Labour Leave voters were stupid enough to vote out on the basis of Tory promises, more fool them.
    Were Leave in a position to make that promise? Should we be complaining that we aren't £4,300 worse off too?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Alistair said:
    Some great figures in there.

33% of Trump supporters expect him to default government debt. 36% to have internment camps.

So presumably they consider these either a good thing, or at least better than the alternative.
    Look on the bright side. Only 22% plan to vote Trump in the expectation that he'll start a nuclear war. :) Would be fun to meet some of those guys, though. "Nuke the world till it glows, that'll shake up the establishment!"
    The Ripley Tendency: "We say we take off and nuke the entire establishment from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
  • Options

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

Alistair said:

For general USA early voting stuff

https://twitter.com/electproject / www.electproject.org

is a great source

A word of caution, Romney thought he won in 2012 based on the early voting returns.

With that out of the way, I can't see how Hillary loses this election as long as she is marginally more popular than Trump and a majority of americans are scared as hell of him.

Trump has still never lead nationally, and he has to be leading nationally by 2 to win Wisconsin and perhaps Colorado and of course the election.

A majority of americans think that Trump is going to use nukes, that's how scary he is, a majority of voters actually believes that Trump will bring the apocalypse if elected.

In public opinion he is like Frankenstein's monster, how can he convince people that he is not a monster in just 40 days ?
    Does everyone who think he might use nukes intend to vote against him - or are some more likely to vote for him as a result?

How could Vote Leave possibly convince the people of the UK that Brexit wouldnt be a disaster in just 40 days?
    I think it's 22% of people think he'll use nukes and are going to vote for him.
    So long as he only smites those who cant respond in kind, its the only language they understand?

After all the long term fall out issues are exaggerated like global warming is.....or something like that?
    Aren't nuclear weapons supposed to cause global cooling? Nuclear winter?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    JonathanD said:

RobD said:

I think the point is that the projects haven't been signed off by a government that promises funding if they are signed off. Catch 22.
  • Options

Alistair said:
    Some great figures in there.

33% of Trump supporters expect him to default government debt. 36% to have internment camps.

So presumably they consider these either a good thing, or at least better than the alternative.
    Or inevitable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Lord O'Neill resigns as infrastructure minister. Annoyed by Hinkley review, Northern Powerhouse "wobble" and grammar school policy, am told.

This is much more a problem for May than one week's set of local election results.
    Why?

An average Goldmans partner who was best known for coining the phrase "BRICs" 15 years ago realises that for all the time he spent kissing ar*e, he'd been kissing the wrong one and decides not to waste his time where there is no preferment on the horizon.
    Charles,

Given you seem to find it necessary to mention all the great and good you meet, I'm not sure you should be the one throwing around accusations of ar*e licking. ;)

Oh, and how's the Garden Bridge going?
    I've never met O'Neill, FWIW. I'm just being rude about him on principle.

One of the reasons I like Jim O'Neill is that he's not Gavyn Davis, who once marched into the office of the Head of Research and demanded that I be fired.
    Had dinner with him once. A bore. (Guess he thought the same of me).
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Lord O'Neill resigns as infrastructure minister. Annoyed by Hinkley review, Northern Powerhouse "wobble" and grammar school policy, am told.

This is much more a problem for May than one week's set of local election results.
    Why?

An average Goldmans partner who was best known for coining the phrase "BRICs" 15 years ago realises that for all the time he spent kissing ar*e, he'd been kissing the wrong one and decides not to waste his time where there is no preferment on the horizon.
    Charles,

Given you seem to find it necessary to mention all the great and good you meet, I'm not sure you should be the one throwing around accusations of ar*e licking. ;)

Oh, and how's the Garden Bridge going?
    I've never met O'Neill, FWIW. I'm just being rude about him on principle.

One of the reasons I like Jim O'Neill is that he's not Gavyn Davis, who once marched into the office of the Head of Research and demanded that I be fired.
    Had dinner with him once. A bore. (Guess he thought the same of me).
    My assumption that PB was mostly frequented by ordinary members of the public is rapidly disintegrating.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I am no fan of Theresa May or her current team of advisor's who seem hell bent on undoing all the good work that Cameron and Osborne achieved to make the Conservative party electable. But we really need to put the last few months of council by-elections into perspective. Both the Labour and the Libdems are starting from a extremal low base of councillors, and the Conservatives are still riding high on an amazing number of councillors despite now being in a second term Government.

So it would be very ironic if the sudden drop in local council by-election support in the Conservative party co-coincided with Theresa May's advisor's being allowed to run riot with all over those old traditional prejudiced policies. How ironic that Theresa May seems to be determined to piss off those voters that Cameron and Osborne fought so hard to win before..
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

It would be no easier for the Tories to reinvent themselves as a pro-EU party as it would for Labour to rediscover its love (OK, well, support) for Blair.

Except the first Tory PM to win outright in decades and his Chancellor were avowedly pro-EU. No reinvention required.
    That bridge is burned, the PM is gone, and the Chancellor almost gone. Go talk to some Tory activists; they aren't crying.
    I would put it that 70%+ of Conservative activists are happy to see the back of Cameron and Osborne. The ConHome ratings of the pair were dreadful at the end.
    PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

Google and crappy social networks...that sounds about right...

I think Google would at least make money from it. Making use of the data, better advertising (which Twitter are hopeless at), directing people to YouTube and the Play Store, integrating other services like Google Maps, and probably dropping Google Assistant into it at some (which seems to be Google's big master plan for a lot of their services).
    Twitter has a great base product but fiddles about on the edges - why can't we edit a tweet FFS? It's taken YEARS to have those named removed from the character count or the bizarre requirement to stick a period before a name to share a reply with everyone? Blah blah.

And then there's the very obvious political bias/removal of trending subjects. It's doomed until someone who actually gets it - buys it.

EDIT re advertising - today, I've had ads for sensible non-slip shoes, Citrix and IBM. At least they're in English. The relevance of these to me is zero. Just like every day. I've no idea what they're using to judge my interest areas. It can't be based on the 130k tweets I've posted as a sample size
    The allegations that Twitter is removing right wing trending topics have been thoroughly debunked.

https://blog.bufferapp.com/five-twitter-secrets-about-censored-trending-topics
This discussion has been closed.