Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters continue to make Clinton a 60%+ chance even though

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sixth like Man Utd.

or actually 6th like Liverpool...

sneaky edit there! tse's Yorkshire link is lost
    I know, Yorkshire's reign as champions is over. Too bad it was that county that does not exist that took the title.
    Proof that just because a county doesn't have a county council doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Cheshire and IIRC Berkshire are other examples.
    During the 2011 Census we had requests for data for Middlesex. I was in favour of politely pointing out that it doesn't exist. I was overruled.
    Correctly. If you rely on county councils you end up with absurdities like Derby not being in Derbyshire.
    Kansas City isn't in Kansas...
    Oh, but it is! The actual conurbation straddles the state line. There is a Kansas City, MO, and a Kansas City, KS. The latter is the 3rd largest city in KS, and the 3rd largest city of the areas making up Kansas City metropolitan area.
    KC KS is a new innovation. They used to be known as Lenaxa, Olathe and Overland - far more useful descriptors
    "In October 1872, "old" Kansas City, Kansas, was incorporated"

"In March 1886, "new" Kansas City, Kansas, was formed through the consolidation of five municipalities: "old" Kansas City, Armstrong, Armourdale, Riverview, Wyandotte."

Lenaxa, Olathe and Overland are separate cities, but part of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area, which includes both Kansas City MO and Kansas City KS

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    edited September 2016

rcs1000 said:

Did Schultz really say no single mrket access without free movement? Surely almost everyone has 'access' to the single market? Membership without free movement would obviously be a non-starter but what are they up to?

At most I suspect they are deliberately trying to confuse. You see it on this site everyday where people say access when what they are talking about is membership. Sometimes it is just sloppy thinking, sometimes, perhaps, it is just a subtle extension of project fear.

Looking around my study very little of the goodies have been made in the EU, save probably most of the books. The keyboard on which I type, the computers, the monitors, the Kindle, the phone, the printer have all been made in countries that are not members of the single market and which do not have a free trade agreement with the EU. Yet they were all bought here in the UK.
    If you have any Apple products, then there is a fair chance they were "made" in the Hollyhill factory in Ireland*.

* "Made" is a relative term.

But, more seriously, there is a surprising amount of "stuff" that's made in Europe.
    I don't touch Apple products, Mr. Robert. I can get good enough functionality from elsewhere a lot cheaper. I am of course aware that a lot of stuff is made in the EU and indeed in the UK. That wasn't the point of my post though as I am sure you are aware.

Membership of the single market is not needed to sell into it. Lots of countries manage to do that quite successfully and don't have to belong to the EEA or pay subscriptions or accept any sort of free movement of people arrangement to do so.
    The list of European countries that shun the EU centred trade apparatus is very small and not a good precedent. We are geographically in Europe and will remain so. Trying to set up an independent trade zone in a group of one would be a hugely wasteful folly that could only appeal to a big government minded bureaucrat who wants to duplicate functions that are better off being shared.

As for Apple, it seems that even the Guardian has turned against them - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/23/iphone-7-review-poor-battery-life
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Jack_Blanchard_: Labour source reckons Jeremy Corbyn has won big - very big. "65/35 at least"

@Maomentum_: @Maomentum_ Important announcement: Due to unforeseen circumstances there will now be NO Labour Party stall. Many apologies.

@Maomentum_: Many thanks to Dignitas who have agreed to step in.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sixth like Man Utd.

I know, Yorkshire's reign as champions is over. Too bad it was that county that does not exist that took the title.
    Proof that just because a county doesn't have a county council doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Cheshire and IIRC Berkshire are other examples.
    During the 2011 Census we had requests for data for Middlesex. I was in favour of politely pointing out that it doesn't exist. I was overruled.
    Correctly. If you rely on county councils you end up with absurdities like Derby not being in Derbyshire.
    Oh, but it is! The actual conurbation straddles the state line. There is a Kansas City, MO, and a Kansas City, KS. The latter is the 3rd largest city in KS, and the 3rd largest city of the areas making up Kansas City metropolitan area.
    KC KS is a new innovation. They used to be known as Lenaxa, Olathe and Overland - far more useful descriptors

"In March 1886, "new" Kansas City, Kansas, was formed through the consolidation of five municipalities: "old" Kansas City, Armstrong, Armourdale, Riverview, Wyandotte."

Lenaxa, Olathe and Overland are separate cities, but part of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area, which includes both Kansas City MO and Kansas City KS

Damn you and your facts!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    edited September 2016

I would have voted UKIP in your constituency, even if that had let you in.

Anna is ruder about UKIP than I'd ever be :)
    It is a fact in that new book which states that the more leftie you are the ruder you are about people in other parties. Since Sourby is further left than you, your comment fits.
    How do you work out that Anna Soubry is further left than Nick?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

rcs1000 said:

Did Schultz really say no single mrket access without free movement? Surely almost everyone has 'access' to the single market? Membership without free movement would obviously be a non-starter but what are they up to?

At most I suspect they are deliberately trying to confuse. You see it on this site everyday where people say access when what they are talking about is membership. Sometimes it is just sloppy thinking, sometimes, perhaps, it is just a subtle extension of project fear.

Looking around my study very little of the goodies have been made in the EU, save probably most of the books. The keyboard on which I type, the computers, the monitors, the Kindle, the phone, the printer have all been made in countries that are not members of the single market and which do not have a free trade agreement with the EU. Yet they were all bought here in the UK.
    If you have any Apple products, then there is a fair chance they were "made" in the Hollyhill factory in Ireland*.

But, more seriously, there is a surprising amount of "stuff" that's made in Europe.
    I don't touch Apple products, Mr. Robert. I can get good enough functionality from elsewhere a lot cheaper. I am of course aware that a lot of stuff is made in the EU and indeed in the UK. That wasn't the point of my post though as I am sure you are aware.

Membership of the single market is not needed to sell into it. Lots of countries manage to do that quite successfully and don't have to belong to the EEA or pay subscriptions or accept any sort of free movement of people arrangement to do so.
    The list of European countries that shun the EU centred trade apparatus is very small and not a good precedent. We are geographically in Europe and will remain so. Trying to set up an independent trade zone in a group of one would be a hugely wasteful folly that could only appeal to a big government minded bureaucrat who wants to duplicate functions that are better off being shared.

As for Apple, it seems that even the Guardian has turned against them - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/23/iphone-7-review-poor-battery-life
    Where on earth I have said anything about setting up an independent trade zone? I merely point out what is clearly true; that it is possible to sell into the EU without being a member f it or accepting free movement of people or paying it subscriptions. Many successful countries do so. To go back to where I joined in, "Access to" the single market is not the same as "Membership of" the single market.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ishmael_X said:

Like OGH I'm currently weighted towards Donald Trump. My reading is that he may well do ok in the debates and he is accordingly likely to shorten.

It may have been a strategy of his to get the mad racist stuff out there early to attract the kind of people it attracts, and play nice from here on in to help the people it offends, forget about it. A combination of that, and another Hillary health glitch, might put him in with a serious shout.

Ah, the famed pivot to the centre.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sixth like Man Utd.

Damn you and your facts!
    :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

It is a fact in that new book which states that the more leftie you are the ruder you are about people in other parties. Since Sourby is further left than you, your comment fits.
    The fragrant Miss Soubry is incumbent in Broxtowe, keeping out a hard left ex MP.. Not sure how you would describe Ms Soubry, but I like her style.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Alistair said:

Ishmael_X said:

Like OGH I'm currently weighted towards Donald Trump. My reading is that he may well do ok in the debates and he is accordingly likely to shorten.

It may have been a strategy of his to get the mad racist stuff out there early to attract the kind of people it attracts, and play nice from here on in to help the people it offends, forget about it. A combination of that, and another Hillary health glitch, might put him in with a serious shout.

Ah, the famed pivot to the centre.
    I don't put the chances higher than 1 in 10, but it's a possibility. Hillary's health is the biggest known unknown.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sixth like Man Utd.

So, if I have got this right, Kansas City is both in Kansas and out of Kansas and you don't know which until you go to a bit of it. A Schrodinger City in fact. Huzzah!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

She's about as Left as Vanessa Redgrave.
  • Options

Where on earth I have said anything about setting up an independent trade zone? I merely point out what is clearly true; that it is possible to sell into the EU without being a member f it or accepting free movement of people or paying it subscriptions. Many successful countries do so. To go back to where I joined in, "Access to" the single market is not the same as "Membership of" the single market.
    That's what hard Brexit means. I haven't said that you want to recruit other members to join it (as the neo-imperialists do) but if you want Britain to set up completely independent arrangements that necessarily means a new entity in the world trading system.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

She's about as Left as Vanessa Redgrave.
    Your political antennae need adjusting.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sixth like Man Utd.

So, if I have got this right, Kansas City is both in Kansas and out of Kansas and you don't know which until you go to a bit of it. A Schrodinger City in fact. Huzzah!
    The nice bit is in MO.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sixth like Man Utd.

The nice bit is in MO.
    That's how you know you're not in Kansas anymore.
  • Options

MP_SE said:
    "she bored them rigid with whining, lefty, PC crap"

:smiley:
    Funny how Harry Potter, a film about comradeship and mutual support has turned its main stars into compassionate, thoughtful people. Good for them I say. Go Em Rupe and Dan ;)
    Hermione was the most gifted witch of her generation. She should have been written to end up like Bayaz in The First Law, a lying, ruthless, hypocrite, destroying Harry, Ron, and Voldemort to attain power.
  • Options

That's what hard Brexit means. I haven't said that you want to recruit other members to join it (as the neo-imperialists do) but if you want Britain to set up completely independent arrangements that necessarily means a new entity in the world trading system.
    Mr. Glenn, I fear we are talking past each other here and I don't know how I can make the point I wished to make clearer. My fault I am sure. So with apologies I shall withdraw from the conversation and go and do something more useful.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sixth like Man Utd.

Cincinatti is split between two states, divided almost Berlin style. North of the River Ohio is Cincinatti proper with the southern half of the city on the other side of the river in Kentucky and officially known by its suburb names.

A boundary comission to redraw state boundaries so cities come under one local government area seems to be verboten.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sixth like Man Utd.

And that's before you get to the airport - either MCI or KCI depending on where you start
  • Options

The fragrant Miss Soubry is incumbent in Broxtowe, keeping out a hard left ex MP.. Not sure how you would describe Ms Soubry, but I like her style.
    Nick is hardly hard left.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Funny how Harry Potter, a film about comradeship and mutual support has turned its main stars into compassionate, thoughtful people. Good for them I say. Go Em Rupe and Dan ;)
    It is almost always advantageous to appear to be a compassionate, thoughtful person, whether you are or not. People whose job it is to appear to have certain qualities irrespective of whether they in fact have them are called actors. The main stars of the Harry Potter films are actors.
  • Options

Because she is ruder than Nick about people in other political parties. FACT.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Two resignations in advance of Corbyn reelection (one a former two-times PPC). How many more will follow? twitter.com/philwoodford/s…
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    How many Labour MPs are going to resign the whip after tomorrow?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Did you like her style after the EU referendum result,couldn't stop laughing at her losing it.
  • Options

We just tell them bluntly that unless they stop being silly we ban exports of Marmite* to the EU. Plus all the zeebrugge stuff as well. If we are feeling particularly spiteful we could just let Dungeness meltdown when the weather forecast is for a strong north westerly for a few days. This would have the added advantage of making the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railways trains glow in the dark so idiot motorists are less likely to collide with them at level crossings

* might be called vegemite by then under Canzuk rules.
  • Options

We don't know what was lost in translation. As serious news organisations use access and membership interchangeably in English I doubt they are reflecting an nuisance in the German. I read a fascinating piece on what English media translate as " Cherry Picking " but in the German is Raisin Picking which has subtly different conertations.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited September 2016
    Ishmael_X said:

It is almost always advantageous to appear to be a compassionate, thoughtful person, whether you are or not. People whose job it is to appear to have certain qualities irrespective of whether they in fact have them are called actors.

some of them are called prostitutes. I gather the two trades use similar skillsets.
  • Options

* might be called vegemite by then under Canzuk rules.

I know you like laws photocopied from Canberra but if you go that far I doubt you will keep the other Brexiteers on side.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Sean_F said:

MP_SE said:

Hermione was the most gifted witch of her generation. She should have been written to end up like Bayaz in The First Law, a lying, ruthless, hypocrite, destroying Harry, Ron, and Voldemort to attain power.
    She got the greatest line in the whole series:
    "We could be killed, or worse, expelled."
  • Options
    The Single Market is the world's biggest and best Free Trade deal. It takes 45% of our exports. There are plenty of cogent reasons to leave the EU. But the belief Single Market membership is worthless in it's self or that compensatory alternative deals with Mozambique and Rwanda will be quick and easy is frankly delusional.
  • Options

:):):)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    AndyJS said:

Zero.
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Labour conference slogan will be 'Working together for real change' - message to party to unite + aimed at claim that Tories are divisive

Read that as 'working together for a change'
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Zero.
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Labour conference slogan will be 'Working together for real change' - message to party to unite + aimed at claim that Tories are divisive

Zero? Despite 172 having no confidence in him just a few weeks ago?
  • Options
    Off topic. It's handy when a movie sums itself up, even if ironically - the last three words of 'The Magnificent Seven' are, basically, "It was magnificent", which it most certainly was not.
  • Options
    No one watching the greatest living Englishman on BBC4? I was prepared to be disappointed but I'm liking it so far.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Zero.
    Scott_P said:

Zero? Despite 172 having no confidence in him just a few weeks ago?
    I have great confidence in their unwillingness to take that step, at least immediately. Some will say they had no confidence in him but the members have spoken and they will respect that, some will say his campaign has shown them perhaps he is up to it or deserves a full chance despite their misgivings, others will say they cannot damage the party any further and the fighting has to stop, others will say nothing and play dead, and some others will fight on defiantly but not resign the whip saying Corbyn never did all the times he rebelled.

So there won't be many others left.
  • Options
    Immigration vs Single Market Access is just a sliding scale. Imposing any restriction on FoM costs us Membership but after that. If we agree to issue the same number of work permits pa as currently needed by existing EU immigration. We'll get great access to the Single Market. If we say we're issuing no work visas we'll get no access. There are 10001 possible variations between those two outcomes. The myriad variables of the negotiations will determine which. The biggest of those variables will be the UK budget contribution.
  • Options

Debatable.
    When did you stop being a communist, Dr Palmer?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Squeal piggy.....Ted Cruz is doing one helluva of a Ned Beatty impersonation.........

And if anyone gets the reference and to what, I will be impressed......
  • Options

No one watching the greatest living Englishman on BBC4? I was prepared to be disappointed but I'm liking it so far.

I've just checked. I was expecting David Attenborough or Stephen Hawking to be honest !
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    edited September 2016
    tyson said:

Squeal piggy.....Ted Cruz is doing one helluva of a Ned Beatty impersonation.........

Deliverance, which we may all be needing shortly..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

:):):)

Et Tu Brute,,,,,,,
  • Options
    tyson said:

Deliverance, I presume, a movie I have never seen but oft seen referenced with a 'squeal like a pig' line
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

The Single Market is the world's biggest and best Free Trade deal. It takes 45% of our exports. There are plenty of cogent reasons to leave the EU. But the belief Single Market membership is worthless in it's self or that compensatory alternative deals with Mozambique and Rwanda will be quick and easy is frankly delusional.

First, it's good to see you back here posting, YS. It seems an eternity ago we were in the same party but we've since taken rather different political journeys.

I'm not a huge fan of the Single Market not because I don't think it's a wonderful idea in theory but the fact of the free movement of capital and labour has been to concentrate wealth in some areas (London and the SE of England, western Germany) at the expense of other areas.

Freedom of movement has triggered massive depopulation of the Baltic States and parts of Eastern Europe (just as the reunification of Germany did to the former GDR) as people have gone to where the jobs are which is where the money is. People have always gone to the money and what we see now is no different from the Industrial Revolution in England.

I may be naive but for me the EU was never about the systematic enrichment of the north and west of Europe at the expense of the south and the east. Indeed, the concept of the EU in the beginning was to extend wealth and prosperity across Europe as a whole and to develop the weaker economies.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Sean_F said:

MP_SE said:

Ah, the Michael Gove of Hogwarts!
  • Options
    stodge said:

First, it's good to see you back here posting, YS. It seems an eternity ago we were in the same party but we've since taken rather different political journeys.

I'm not a huge fan of the Single Market not because I don't think it's a wonderful idea in theory but the fact of the free movement of capital and labour has been to concentrate wealth in some areas (London and the SE of England, western Germany) at the expense of other areas.

Freedom of movement has triggered massive depopulation of the Baltic States and parts of Eastern Europe (just as the reunification of Germany did to the former GDR) as people have gone to where the jobs are which is where the money is. People have always gone to the money and what we see now is no different from the Industrial Revolution in England.

I may be naive but for me the EU was never about the systematic enrichment of the north and west of Europe at the expense of the south and the east. Indeed, the concept of the EU in the beginning was to extend wealth and prosperity across Europe as a whole and to develop the weaker economies.

Indeed Stodge ! As I always observe conservativism and collectivism are movements but liberalism is a diaspora.
  • Options

I've just checked. I was expecting David Attenborough or Stephen Hawking to be honest !
    Ok, top three greatest living Englishmen.
  • Options
    One for Malc. Just bought a fully working cuckoo clock for £30 at Aldi.

Cuckoo. Cuckoo....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

Deliverance, I presume, a movie I have never seen but oft seen referenced with a 'squeal like a pig' line
    Oh well done...and the Uniondivvie (great name btw)...........

And great to see the Yellow Sub back.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    AndyJS said:

Probably the same number as will resign the Tory one, when we opt for hard Brexit
  • Options

Ok, top three greatest living Englishmen.
    OK. I'll compromise on that basis. I'd normally push onto " Greatest Living Briton " but I suspect that would be a tougher sell with you !
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Another example. In a Hampshire area (10,000+ voters) with only Lib Dem councillors with networks able to deliver 4+ leaflets each campaign, they were out delievered at least 2:1 by LEAVErs. No REMAIN posters seen only LEAVE (usually lots of LDs in election periods).

The problem, Mr Betting, is that you are assuming the Lib Dem party organisation was put at the service of the Remain campaign. It wasn`t. The Lib Dem campaign was entirely separate.

Since the Remain campaign was run by Top Tories who were busy putting out Tory messages, I refused to have anything to do with it. The Leave campaign was too, of course. Only now are our leaders starting to think about what their campaigns really meant. They should have done that earlier, and fought properly on those lines.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Maybe they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
    If you get that reference I'll be flabbergasted.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    edited September 2016

Cuckoo. Cuckoo....

Only a cretin like you would buy a cheap balsa wood pretend cuckoo clock, what a bell end, you sure its not a starling.

PS: why not get yourself over to the Black Forest and buy the real thing.
  • Options
    The irony is the bigger victory for Corbyn, the greater the likelihood the Labour party splits and the High Sparrow and his merry band of zealots float off into irrelevance.

A closer result would help keep the party together. A trouncing on the other hand would produce a "sod it" outcome.....
  • Options
    I still can't read " Hard Brexit " without envisioning a specialised south London Gay Club.
  • Options

I still can't read " Hard Brexit " without envisioning a specialised south London Gay Club.

As if the Tories could do anything hard, it will be runny Brexit for sure.
  • Options
    @ZoraSuleman: Former Coronation Street actress Tracy Brabin has been selected as the Labour candidate to replace the murdered MP Jo Cox
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ZoraSuleman: Former Coronation Street actress Tracy Brabin has been selected as the Labour candidate to replace the murdered MP Jo Cox

Do we have an expert to tell us who she played
  • Options
    Flashback to December 1990:

"Jacques Delors warns of a political crisis if John Major tries to derail plans for a single European currency":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S14ksjBvvP4
  • Options

tyson said:

of course I get it...and you were being sarcastic....

One of my things, aside from having a resting heart rate in the low 30's, being able to down a pint in less than 2 seconds, is to know all the Oscar winners by year....and you refer to 1972....
  • Options

Indeed Stodge ! As I always observe conservativism and collectivism are movements but liberalism is a diaspora.

I also think it no coincidence the Cameroons, the Blairites and the Orange Bookers have all been consigned to the outer darkness.

Indeed in all three parties there is and has been a sense of "going back" to a form of ideological purity. I'm not wholly convinced the complexities of a globalised world allow such introspection but Party members seem to prefer it for now.

• Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

One of my things, aside from having a resting heart rate in the low 30's, being able to down a pint in less than 2 seconds, is to know all the Oscar winners by year....and you refer to 1972....
    Low 30's means you are a corpse
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cuckoo. Cuckoo....

Only a cretin like you would buy a cheap balsa wood pretend cuckoo clock, what a bell end, you sure its not a starling.

So you've finally made good on your promise.

http://www.bavarianclockworks.com/
  • Options

Immigration vs Single Market Access is just a sliding scale. Imposing any restriction on FoM costs us Membership but after that. If we agree to issue the same number of work permits pa as currently needed by existing EU immigration. We'll get great access to the Single Market. If we say we're issuing no work visas we'll get no access. There are 10001 possible variations between those two outcomes. The myriad variables of the negotiations will determine which. The biggest of those variables will be the UK budget contribution.

I think that's absolutely right.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

The problem, Mr Betting, is that you are assuming the Lib Dem party organisation was put at the service of the Remain campaign. It wasn`t. The Lib Dem campaign was entirely separate.

Since the Remain campaign was run by Top Tories who were busy putting out Tory messages, I refused to have anything to do with it. The Leave campaign was too, of course. Only now are our leaders starting to think about what their campaigns really meant. They should have done that earlier, and fought properly on those lines.

Mr Betting (as you call him) wastes no opportunity to put the boot into the LDs so perhaps not always wise to fall to his level.

As far as the EU Referendum went, the Conservative Party was officially neutral but as we've seen, it's still divided from stem to stern so that hasn't changed anything and the Referendum has solved nothing.

The LDs, as you say, ran a pro-REMAIN campaign with market stalls rather than leaflets which were left to the official REMAIN campaign to distribute.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

MP_SE said:

She got the greatest line in the whole series:
    "We could be killed, or worse, expelled."
    "if it weren't for the fact that your son is dead, he'd be out on his ear!" - Rowan Atkinson
  • Options
    stodge said:

Except that those places with the biggest "depopulations": i.e. East Germany and the Baltics have done the best in terms of (1) GDP per capita, and (2) unemployment. The difference between the East German Lander and the West German is now less than between the richest and poorest US states. That's an unbelievable achievement in 25 years.

And the same with the Baltics. They are the most successful economies in Eastern Europe, and when you compare their economies with mother Russia (or indeed any of the other ex-Soviet Republics), you'd be living in cloud cuckoo land not to say they've done really well.

That's not to say that there aren't significant problems with the EU and the single market. But if you'd gone to the Baltic states in 1996 and said, "Hey, in 20 years time, you can look like this", you'd have got 96% in any referendum.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

It doesn't...it just means that I'm exceptionally fit.....

Two things I've never been beaten on...downing a pint, and heart stuff....resting heart rate and recovery heart rate- I can bring my heart rate from 160-70 in a minute, and from 160- below 50 in 2 minutes
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is this an appropriate time to mention that in her leadership acceptance speech, Theresa May's neck reminded me of Deirdre Barlow?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited September 2016
    tyson said:

malcolmg said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Two things I've never been beaten on...downing a pint, and heart stuff....resting heart rate and recovery heart rate- I can bring my heart rate from 160-70 in a minute, and from 160- below 50 in 2 minutes
    We do something called '6 by 6, 10 by 7' at the rugby club. Separates the men from the boys on the Strongbow.

Back in the clubhouse after the game has finished you've gotta finish your first six pints by 6pm and the next four by 7pm. It does slur the speech a bit.

I suspect Malcolm, being a Scot, could do it drinking Tenents Super and still drive the car home.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Why is Theresa May so unpopular ?
  • Options
    Oh my

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37456623

Sir Bradley Wiggins: Former team doctor 'surprised' at drug prescription

"The stolen data revealed Wiggins, an asthma and allergy sufferer, was given permission to inject the banned drug triamcinolone, a powerful corticosteroid, just days before three major races, including the 2012 Tour de France, which he won, becoming the first Briton to do so.
    He also received similar permission to use 40mg of the drug before the 2011 Tour and the 2013 Tour of Italy.
    But questions have been raised over why Wiggins apparently did not need the drug before 2011, or after 2013."
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited September 2016

MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Cincinatti is split between two states, divided almost Berlin style. North of the River Ohio is Cincinatti proper with the southern half of the city on the other side of the river in Kentucky and officially known by its suburb names.

A boundary comission to redraw state boundaries so cities come under one local government area seems to be verboten.
    The states are sovereign - the federal government could no more impose a boundary commission on them than the European Commission could on EU member states. There have been occasional small adjustments of borders by mutual agreement, but I think there have been more adjustments that have happened by one state appealing to SCotUS that the border on the ground was not that which was agreed. One of the more recent such settlements was of a dispute between New Hampshire and Maine which was settled in Maine's favour in 2002.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

tyson said:

malcolmg said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

We do something called '6 by 6, 10 by 7' at the rugby club. Separates the men from the boys on the Strongbow.

Back in the clubhouse after the game has finished you've gotta finish your first six pints by 6pm and the next four by 7pm. It does slur the speech a bit.

I suspect Malcolm, being a Scot, could do it drinking Tenents Super and still drive the car home.
    OMG....that sounds like a projectile vomit fun night out. Speed is my thing, tolerance less so.

My sister has the same ability to down a pint as me....we used to knock back pints of water as kids to entertain others....then I learnt as a student it was a very handy way to get people buying me beers.

I remain unbeaten for downing a pint....and god knows how many people I've raced in my time.
    Admittedly, it is some times since I last did it....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    surbiton said:

According to the polls she isn't.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Zero ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Oh my

"The stolen data revealed Wiggins, an asthma and allergy sufferer, was given permission to inject the banned drug triamcinolone, a powerful corticosteroid, just days before three major races, including the 2012 Tour de France, which he won, becoming the first Briton to do so.
    He also received similar permission to use 40mg of the drug before the 2011 Tour and the 2013 Tour of Italy.
    But questions have been raised over why Wiggins apparently did not need the drug before 2011, or after 2013."

At least his music taste comes out of all of this undiminished..

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    New from the LSE: internet pollsters' performance during the EU ref substantially superior to that of phone pollsters, and - adjusting for mode and house effects - the Leave campaign was probably ahead of Remain for the whole of 2016.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/eu-referendum-polls/?utm_content=buffer9221d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
  • Options
    tyson said:

Ishmael_X said:

Oh my

At least his music taste comes out of all of this undiminished..

Yes all good stuff http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/bradley-wiggins-my-top-10-tracks-1839
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

According to the polls she isn't.
    I believe at the conservative party conference in two weeks she is going to deliver two separate speeches, one on Brexit and the other on her programme for government.

They will both be watched with great interest and great fear by labour as she places her tanks on the centre ground
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    malcolmg said:

Cuckoo. Cuckoo....

Rotfl.

A high cuckoo standard tonight I see.

"You sure its not a starling" Actually it is white with a red beak so its probably an albino robin
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Except that those places with the biggest "depopulations": i.e. East Germany and the Baltics have done the best in terms of (1) GDP per capita, and (2) unemployment. The difference between the East German Lander and the West German is now less than between the richest and poorest US states. That's an unbelievable achievement in 25 years.

And the same with the Baltics. They are the most successful economies in Eastern Europe, and when you compare their economies with mother Russia (or indeed any of the other ex-Soviet Republics), you'd be living in cloud cuckoo land not to say they've done really well.

That's not to say that there aren't significant problems with the EU and the single market. But if you'd gone to the Baltic states in 1996 and said, "Hey, in 20 years time, you can look like this", you'd have got 96% in any referendum.
    But, it's strange, after having lost so many of their younger people. Economic theory would suggest they'd be in terrible trouble.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Cuckoo. Cuckoo....

Rotfl.

A high cuckoo standard tonight I see.

You sure its not a starling. Actually it is white with a red beak so its probably an albino robin
    At least you're buying from a German merchant. None of that Canzuk muck.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Corbyn to launch anti-grammars campaign tmrw within hours of his likely victory
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2016
    MP_SE said:
    That has to be a spoof account, surely?
  • Options

New from the LSE: internet pollsters' performance during the EU ref substantially superior to that of phone pollsters, and - adjusting for mode and house effects - the Leave campaign was probably ahead of Remain for the whole of 2016.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/eu-referendum-polls/?utm_content=buffer9221d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I'm sure that's right. Ultimately, pollsters downweighted groups that didn't normally vote, and that was a catastrophic error .
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

MP_SE said:
    Most definitely.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:
    Yeah. I found it quite amusing as I could see Smith saying something like that.

Can't wait to see Corbyn returned with 65% of the vote tomorrow. The slow death of Labour is really enjoyable.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

"Membership of the single market is not needed to sell into it. "

Why do you use the word "single" ? You really mean to say " Membership of the EU is not needed to sell into it. "

The single market is not just about zero tariffs. It is also about virtually zero paperwork apart from monthly Intrastat returns. Countries exporting to the EU or EU countries exporting abroad cannot avoid the paperwork zero tariff or not.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Corbyn to launch anti-grammars campaign tmrw within hours of his likely victory

Will he be expelling all the Apostrophes?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MP_SE said:

Ah, the Michael Gove of Hogwarts!
    " You're no different to Michael Gove, are you?"

"I should have thought the difference was obvious. Michael Gove lost."
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

No of course not, I mean being a strong supporter of Corbyn, means....
  • Options
    RobD said:

MP_SE said:
    Most definitely.
    Don't be silly, its not absurd enough to be a spoof.
    This is Labour we are talking about.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Oh my

I did not know we had so many asthmatic athletes and cyclists. It seems it is almost mandatory that you have to asthmatic before you are eligible for training.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

As a corollary to this, all national voter intention polls conducted since the start of August (save for one Ashcroft survey) have been by YouGov, TNS, ICM and Ipsos. The first three were closest to calling the EU vote right, the last was one of the furthest away - and Ipsos has also been responsible for recording unusually high Labour and low Ukip vote shares in its surveys, relative to those conducted by the other three. Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

"Membership of the single market is not needed to sell into it. "

Why do you use the word "single" ? You really mean to say " Membership of the EU is not needed to sell into it. "

The single market is not just about zero tariffs. It is also about virtually zero paperwork apart from monthly Intrastat returns. Countries exporting to the EU or EU countries exporting abroad cannot avoid the paperwork zero tariff or not.
    Lol.

Less paperwork on intra EU sales in return for a steamingly expensive pile of bureacracy and paperwork to get a CE mark so you can put it on the market at all, even if you only sell it in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.