Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting market that reflects the mess Labour finds itse

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Borough, things can always get bleaker.
  • Options

That's the kind of optimism Corbyn needs.
  • Options

ex LD SPAD view

"The great leader spoke at a London Labour reception last night and I have never seen a speech by so senior a figure in British politics so roundly ignored by those present."
    .... "Given Jeremy Corbyn seems to want to turn Labour into the Liberal Democrats – a protest group with a small parliamentary wing – his plan, in all respects, seems to be working out beautifully."
    http://nicktyrone.com/report-liverpool-labour-becoming-lib-dems/

seems a bit harsh on the libdems
  • Options

That's the kind of optimism Corbyn needs.
    I'm sure he'll do his best, now that him and McD are the masters now.
  • Options
    Wells on boundary changes and Lab seats:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9762
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

GIN1138 said:

I love Craig Olivers whining about about Theresa May in today's MoS.

The vicars daughter ran rings around all those daft men... She played a blinder! :smiley:

The thing that stood out for me was the tale even at 3am, Remain number cruncher model told them they had won. I wouldn't employ their people for anything related in the future !!!
    I suspect it was more a case of self-delusion/denial... ;)
  • Options
    Wells:

"So, by my reckoning there will probably be around 15 re-selection battles where a sitting Labour MP faces up against another sitting Labour MP on the provisional boundaries..."
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    Morning Consult also records a move to Trump.

Trump now leading by 1 in Sep 22-24 poll. In the Sep 15-16 poll, he was behind by 2.

https://morningconsult.com/2016/09/25/trump-edges-clinton-ahead-first-debate/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Wells on boundary changes and Lab seats:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9762

Thanks for that, it looks comprehensive.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The vicars daughter ran rings around all those daft men... She played a blinder! :smiley:

Yes, she did, but I also think in all honesty she just wanted to stay out of the "macho" Project Fear politics that were clearly having the opposite effect to what they intended. She hasn't sat on the front bench all those years and not learn't how these men operate. They should have taken more notice of her.

• Options
    Watching Angela Rayner on the Sunday Politics earlier. This woman is just sooooooo arrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!!
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but those remarks of John McDonnell to Esther McVey were made well over 18 months ago. Where was Yvette Cooper and the "sisters" then? I don't remember any of them demanding an apology at the time.

I also seem to remember Barry Sheerman was quite partial to having a "pop" at Esther McVey and nothing was every said. Double standards, indeed.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Yes, she did, but I also think in all honesty she just wanted to stay out of the "macho" Project Fear politics that were clearly having the opposite effect to what they intended. She hasn't sat on the front bench all those years and not learn't how these men operate. They should have taken more notice of her.

And all these comments made by Oliver have only strengthened her.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited September 2016
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Panelbase Westminster VI poll for The Sunday Times

SNP 50%
    Con 21%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Greens 4%
    UKIP 4%

First recorded instance of press informing us that the SNP honeymoon was over, 22 May 2007. Looking forward to many more years of it.
    Hang on, aren't we past 'Peak Nat?' All the well-informed Scottish columnists told me that we were.

Very much looking forward to SLab finally being routed out of Glasgow City Council in May. Long overdue.
    For me that would probably be a bigger deal than the last Holyrood elections. I still have an instinctive, almost superstitious belief in the tenacity of Glesga Labour, but then I look at their current crop of representatives.

Fwiw I think the SCons will increase their tally from their current married-to-a-Nat one.
    I see from wikipedia a Conservative was leader of Glasgow City Council for a few years in the late 70s - what a strange and different time it was then.
    Even the Tories would be better.
    Strong words, Malc, you might need to lie down for a minute! Or else that is one really crappy record in Glasgow.
    Not at all.If it weren't for the inconvenient label they have saddled themselves with - the Conservative and Unonist Party - our Malc is clearly a Tory
    FF43 Right wing SNP , I have a heart so cannot be a Tory
    I have a cuckoo clock so cannot be SNP.

Cuckoo. Cookoo
    LOL, so it has not been smashed up yet.
    Weve got a clock with westminster chimes in the same room so at about 12 Oclock it starts resembling the Libdem Conference in here...

Boing Cuckoo Bong Cuckoo Boing Cuckoo etc.
  • Options

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those remarks of John McDonnell to Esther McVey were made well over 18 months ago. Where was Yvette Cooper and the "sisters" then? I don't remember any of them demanding an apology at the time.

I also seem to remember Barry Sheerman was quite partial to having a "pop" at Esther McVey and nothing was every said. Double standards, indeed.

McDonnell's status has changed and his refusal to retract the violent language just feeds into the narrative that surrounds the Labour Party. His behaviour continues to bring shame to the modern political scene.

The attitudes that now seem entrenched in the modern Left are objectionable in so many ways. Yes, Cooper should have spoke up sooner - but the full scale of the issue wasn't as evident as it is now.

Today should have been the relaunch of the Corbyn project and we now have McDonnell endorsing the langue of violence as part of legitimate political discourse, Corbyn wanting to see our forces hounded through the courts and our security forces emasculated. Add into the the continuing threat of deselection, the re-emergence of Hatton, the idea of outsourcing Labour policy making to the 'selectorate' and we see the real Corbyn project really coming into view.

How anyone can 'get behind' him and serve really beggars belief.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2016
    vik said:

Trump now leading by 1 in Sep 22-24 poll. In the Sep 15-16 poll, he was behind by 2.

That's significant.

Edit: though it has come due to a fall in Clinton rather than a rise in Trump. Clinton losing most to third parties.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2016

GIN1138 said:

Mostly I think May was unwilling to choose a side, perhaps because she doesn't have one, but also perhaps because she didn't want to be be associated with either side, should they lose.

Not picking a side in the Referendum (or not being bothered either way) seems extraordinary, even for an ambitious apparatchik.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    Sean_F said:

jonny83 said:

McDonnell seems to be enjoying himself this morning.

Both him and Corbyn were like a dog with two dicks this morning.

Its doesn't surprise me but I see Corbyn hasn't condemned these ambulance chasers that have now moved on to soldiers. But then I saw this tweet so no wonder he takes the stance he does:

Alex WickhamVerified account ‏@WikiGuido 33m33 minutes ago
    Re Corbyn backing probe into British troops. Phil Shiner, disgraced lawyer behind the vexatious claims, is an old comrade of Jez at the CND.

I thought that would be Corbyn's fuckup for the day but then he goes on to talk about MI6 and he doesn't agree with the need to expand MI6 to deal with the Jihadi threat.

What a danger to this country this man could be.
    There are people whose downfall is delightful to witness. Phil Shiner is one of them.
    Shadow defense sec. Ms "Lt. Col." Emily Thornberry, who took £48,000 in donations from Leigh Day (Shiner's firm) said: ‘I have no idea what has happened or what these allegations are. I understand that they are currently before a solicitors’ disciplinary tribunal or something.’
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2016
    Jeremy Corbyn has condemned plans to recruit an extra 1,000 spies to combat ISIS and cyber warfare tactics - saying he does not understand why they are needed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3806263/Er-heard-ISIS-Jeremy-Hapless-Corbyn-says-doesn-t-understand-MI6-needs-recruit-thousand-spies.html

Those 2 E's at A-Level were very generous....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Alistair said:

vik said:

That's significant.

Edit: though it has come due to a fall in Clinton rather than a rise in Trump. Clinton losing most to third parties.
    This seems to be the pattern. Hillary takes the lead, not-Trumpers get comfortable and say they'll support Johnson or Stein, Trump takes the lead and they panic which leads to a mini-surge for Hillary. It might suit her to go into election day a point behind.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Mostly I think May was unwilling to choose a side, perhaps because she doesn't have one, but also perhaps because she didn't want to be be associated with either side, should they lose.

Not picking a side in the Referendum (or not being bothered either way) seems extraordinary, even for an ambitious apparatchik.
    It is what Cameron should have done. "It is up to you the people to decide while I get on with with doing the job, you the people, elected me to do."
  • Options

Sean_F said:

jonny83 said:

McDonnell seems to be enjoying himself this morning.

Both him and Corbyn were like a dog with two dicks this morning.

Its doesn't surprise me but I see Corbyn hasn't condemned these ambulance chasers that have now moved on to soldiers. But then I saw this tweet so no wonder he takes the stance he does:

Alex WickhamVerified account ‏@WikiGuido 33m33 minutes ago
    Re Corbyn backing probe into British troops. Phil Shiner, disgraced lawyer behind the vexatious claims, is an old comrade of Jez at the CND.

I thought that would be Corbyn's fuckup for the day but then he goes on to talk about MI6 and he doesn't agree with the need to expand MI6 to deal with the Jihadi threat.

What a danger to this country this man could be.
    There are people whose downfall is delightful to witness. Phil Shiner is one of them.
    Shadow defense sec. Ms "Lt. Col." Emily Thornberry, who took £48,000 in donations from Leigh Day (Shiner's firm) said: ‘I have no idea what has happened or what these allegations are. I understand that they are currently before a solicitors’ disciplinary tribunal or something.’
    Sexist.....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Alistair said:

vik said:

That's significant.

"Hispanics (54 percent) and African American likely voters (75 percent) are overwhelmingly for Clinton. Only 20 percent of Hispanics and 7 percent of black likely voters say they intend to vote for Trump."

I know it says 'only' but 7% back voters for trump isn't bad and 75% for Clinton isn't good.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

vik said:

That's significant.

This seems to be the pattern. Hillary takes the lead, not-Trumpers get comfortable and say they'll support Johnson or Stein, Trump takes the lead and they panic which leads to a mini-surge for Hillary. It might suit her to go into election day a point behind.
    Due to excessively long (already happening) and extensively used (almost 1 in 3) early voting the exact shape pollercoaster is gonna be crucial.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Jeremy Corbyn has condemned plans to recruit an extra 1,000 spies to combat ISIS and cyber warfare tactics - saying he does not understand why they are needed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3806263/Er-heard-ISIS-Jeremy-Hapless-Corbyn-says-doesn-t-understand-MI6-needs-recruit-thousand-spies.html

Our enemies are not necessarily his enemies.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That quote will surely be on a poster come the next general election. What a bloody idiot he is.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    He said he believed most governments in his 50 years working at the BBC have a “disgraceful political obsession that somehow or other the BBC has to be cut down to size”.

“I don’t mean to say that cuts can’t be made but it’s the savagery with which it’s done. The ideological delight with which it’s done.”

He added: “I just feel that it’s absolutely disgraceful, keeping the BBC as short of cash as the government has since 2010.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/25/bbc-john-simpson-government-cutbacks

What cuts?
  • Options

McDonnell's status has changed and his refusal to retract the violent language just feeds into the narrative that surrounds the Labour Party. His behaviour continues to bring shame to the modern political scene.

The attitudes that now seem entrenched in the modern Left are objectionable in so many ways. Yes, Cooper should have spoke up sooner - but the full scale of the issue wasn't as evident as it is now.

Today should have been the relaunch of the Corbyn project and we now have McDonnell endorsing the langue of violence as part of legitimate political discourse, Corbyn wanting to see our forces hounded through the courts and our security forces emasculated. Add into the the continuing threat of deselection, the re-emergence of Hatton, the idea of outsourcing Labour policy making to the 'selectorate' and we see the real Corbyn project really coming into view.

How anyone can 'get behind' him and serve really beggars belief.
    Certain sections within Labour are very honest if you only listen.

They see other ways to exercise power than just through the ballot box.

The new kinder politics is a sick joke.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Our enemies are by definition not his enemies.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    glw said:

That quote will surely be on a poster come the next general election. What a bloody idiot he is.
    Surprised he didn't call for more baristas so we can sit down and have more conversations over fair trade hemp milk latte with them...
  • Options

Floater said:

Our enemies are by definition not his enemies.
    Well we know all about his friends...lovely lot that they are.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Liam Murphy
    Derek Hatton at the Labour Conference, first time here as an audience member since 1985. https://t.co/7HEkdhUq5h

Militant got their party back.
    Could things be any bleaker for Labour.
    Yes - a lot of people haven't "seen" the real Momentum yet.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

He said he believed most governments in his 50 years working at the BBC have a “disgraceful political obsession that somehow or other the BBC has to be cut down to size”.

“I don’t mean to say that cuts can’t be made but it’s the savagery with which it’s done. The ideological delight with which it’s done.”

He added: “I just feel that it’s absolutely disgraceful, keeping the BBC as short of cash as the government has since 2010.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/25/bbc-john-simpson-government-cutbacks

What cuts?

The kind of "cuts" that involve not increasing expenditure above the rate of inflation.
  • Options

Labour's 26% rating with ICM for the Sun on Sunday is, I believe, its lowest whilst in Opposition since September 1983.

5...4...3...2...1....Incoming Justin124 to tell us that it isn't that bad for Labour...
    I think the line to take is that polls don't matter and anyway they are rigged by the Zionist overlords.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Floater said:

Corbyn isn't Deadpool.
  • Options
    glw said:

Yes. What he should have done is attack the Tories for keeping MI6 50 per cent below the strength they now admit is needed.

Btw ISIS is almost certainly a red herring. I'm no Y0kel but it seems clear this is more about Russia and computers.
  • Options
    Interesting little read

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/09/25/unite-behind-the-leader/

"Imagine if the PLP really did unite behind Corbyn and were successful in getting Corbyn’s Labour elected, it wouldn’t be the Labour Party that was in charge but a bunch of “nationalise it” hard left socialists who would anoint their messiah as the grand high “how very dare you question me” inquisitor of the British Isles.

To remain as an MP in Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party is to betray the very principles they tend to say brought them into the party in the first place. Time to admit the truth, the entryists won, leave them the rotting carcass of what was once the Labour Party."
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Jezza nicking somebodies seat this time....he doesn't seem to get this travelling by train lark.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-ram-packed-virgin-8901399
  • Options
    Poor old John McDonnell. As an exponent of kinder, gentler politics I am sure he was misquoted. What he actually said about Esther McVey was that she had a strain of urbanity from which she never flinched.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    dyingswan said:

Poor old John McDonnell. As an exponent of kinder, gentler politics I am sure he was misquoted. What he actually said about Esther McVey was that she had a strain of urbanity from which she never flinched.

The standard excuse is it was all just a joke and it is on us that are having a sense of humour failure.
  • Options
    glw said:

I've had tropical fish with greater political nous - such as guppies and platys. Both are famed for their IQ.
  • Options

glw said:

Yes. What he should have done is attack the Tories for keeping MI6 50 per cent below the strength they now admit is needed.

Btw ISIS is almost certainly a red herring. I'm no Y0kel but it seems clear this is more about Russia and computers.
    Oh blithering.

You either handwave or whatabout rather than say what you think.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2016

What cuts?

The kind of "cuts" that involve not increasing expenditure above the rate of inflation.
    The cuts that stop John Simpson lining his pocket elsewhere...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/may/27/bbc-john-simpson-consultancy-website
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Partly, but that's not a trivial issue either. How can Corbyn not "get it" when cyber-attacks and terrorism are in the news all the time?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

I've had tropical fish with greater political nous - such as guppies and platys. Both are famed for their IQ.
    https://www.twitter.com/Lgbt_lawyer/status/780035184049680384
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

So dense, light bends around him...
  • Options

Put aside all the far left ideology from the 1970s or earlier, has there ever been a dimmer person leading the Labour Party?

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049

GIN1138 said:

I actually find the naked ambition of someone like a Theresa May, or Gordon Brown, Boris Johnson or George Osborne disgusting with a capital DISGUST. Planning, plotting, placing....all the time thinking only of themselves. All of them would gladly skin and boil their granny alive if it would further their personal career.

Theresa May shameless ambition will be found it in due course. The nature of the beast...they cannot stop themselves because they are such control freaks. I think Fox you said that she'll end up as a female Gordon Brown...also lacking charisma or charm.
  • Options
    glw said:

Put aside all the far left ideology from the 1970s or earlier, has there ever been a dimmer person leading the Labour Party?

It is why McMao is more dangerous, he isn't a total and utter moron but similar hard left outlook.
  • Options
    glw said:

Partly, but that's not a trivial issue either. How can Corbyn not "get it" when cyber-attacks and terrorism are in the news all the time?
    OK. First, I do not believe this story as written, because the cyberwarfare stuff is down to GCHQ not MI6 -- the government spinners may be smudging the distinction here.

Second, if MI6 really does need 50% more people, Corbyn should have attacked the Tories for drastically understaffing it since 2016.

Third, as previously stated, Corbyn is a prat for blundering into this elephant trap.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

Did Corbyn not think to ask the Shadow BIs Sec for advice before opening his mouth?

Come to think of it - is there a Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

vik said:

That's significant.

Due to excessively long (already happening) and extensively used (almost 1 in 3) early voting the exact shape pollercoaster is gonna be crucial.
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

vik said:

That's significant.

The debates could see a fall in others support going to Clinton as it might concentrate minds and make people realise this is only between these two candidates. Win or lose the debates could be good for numbers.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

Labour needs a Siamese fighting fish and shoals of zebras, plus red tailed sharks*

*fish nerd
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

Did Corbyn not think to ask the Shadow BIs Sec for advice before opening his mouth?

Come to think of it - is there a Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills?
    Jon Trickett, apparently.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

Labour needs a Siamese fighting fish and shoals of zebras, plus red tailed sharks*

*fish nerd
    Nah. Danio feegradei. They are superb.

Very good jumpers too. Not called the rocket Danio for nothing.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    edited September 2016
    FWIW- I think the only politician I can compare Corbyn to is Maggie Thatcher...someone who was pushed to run as a standard bearer, but uncompromising, surrounded by a fierce group of ideological acolytes, and who finds out when unexpectedly becoming leader they quite like it, and start growing into the role.

Both Thatcher and Corbyn had rocky starts.....and the rest is either history or may well be the future.....
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

*fish nerd
    Nah. Danio feegradei. They are superb.

Very good jumpers too. Not called the rocket Danio for nothing.
    They're just naughty. Labour needs more gouramis.
  • Options

OK. First, I do not believe this story as written, because the cyberwarfare stuff is down to GCHQ not MI6 -- the government spinners may be smudging the distinction here.

It's a bit more complicated than that "Cyber' spans across the intelligence and security services, and the military, also there are offensive and defensive roles, and it shares some assets with traditional signals intelligence. This is all covered in more detail in the last SDSR.

But that is a distraction, does anyone else other than Corbyn think that intelligence and security services are currently adequately funded? Or that the security issues we face are going to get better or remain the same in the medium term?

We could argue about numbers and where priorities lie, but Corbyn's view is basically another sort of denial, not much different from the CC/AGW deniers. In Corbyn's view of the world if we just stopped being who we are all the terrorist and security threats would dissipate. He's bonkers, and he leads the opposition.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited September 2016
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

FWIW- I think the only politician I can compare Corbyn to is Maggie Thatcher...someone who was pushed to run as a standard bearer, but uncompromising, surrounded by a fierce group of ideological acolytes, and who finds out when unexpectedly becoming leader they quite like it, and start growing into the role.

Both Thatcher and Corbyn had rocky starts.....and the rest is either history or may well be the future.....

Thatcher was extremely intelligent. A trained Cambridge biochemist of repute before she ever became an MP. Her memoirs are full of wisdom. Like or her loathe her she was supersmart.

Corbyn is a halfwit. Couldn't even finish his "degree" at North London Poly.
    When two E grade were dismal. Today they'd be C.

Golly, what a brainiac - who's spent 30yrs in Islington. His course was in Trade Union Studies IIRC.

Almost as pertinent as Eoin's IRA feminists PhD.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2016

GIN1138 said:

The thing that stood out for me was the tale even at 3am, Remain number cruncher model told them they had won. I wouldn't employ their people for anything related in the future !!!
    Absolutely. I had the spreadsheet that someone here had wonderfully done.

I think that had Sunderland 53-47 leave for a 50-50 national result.

Once Sunderland came in at over 60% Leave then it was game over unless something extraordinary happened in London
    The result in Sunderland was clearly bad news for Remain but it was far too early to call the election. It took another hour or so of results for the outcome to be clear.

I'm still furious with myself for not increasingly my betfair limit before the referendum as I was trying to put every penny I could on Leave when they were still at 3s.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

GIN1138 said:

Absolutely. I had the spreadsheet that someone here had wonderfully done.

I think that had Sunderland 53-47 leave for a 50-50 national result.

Once Sunderland came in at over 60% Leave then it was game over unless something extraordinary happened in London
    The result in Sunderland was clearly bad news for Remain but it was far too early to call the election. It took another hour or so of results for the outcome to be clear.

I'm still furious with myself for not increasingly my betfair limit before the referendum as I was trying to put every penny I could on Leave when they were still at 3s.
    Although Newcastle was also bad for Remain.
This discussion has been closed.