Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joff Wild says the key to a Labour moderate fightback is un

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

"... only one party in the Country who will govern for all, protect us and respect and support our military ..."

Which party do you have in mind that will support our military? Surely not the one that has been in government for the last six years.

No other party will back the military better than the conservative party
    Which party cut military strength the most ? Ans: Blue is the colour.
    Remind me - which party indeed the only party - has committed to 2% defence spending and renewing Trident.

Also which party, indeed the only party, is backing the prosecution of UK troops, is objecting to increasing M16, and allows disgusting literature on our disabled troops at their National Conference
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defence_and_Security_Review_2010

Navy -5000, Army -7000, RAF -5000.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,838
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    This is just outrageous. I well remember the labour conference speech when Kinnock took on the militants and won leaving the way for Tony Blair's eventually taking and holding onto power.

Listening and watching today with ever increasing horror I never thought I would feel sorry for Yvette Cooper, Tristan Hunt, Chukka Umma and others as they are overpowered by the far left marxist party that Corbyn has turned labour into.

The moderates simply must declare non co-operation with Corbyn and create their own shadow cabinet and fight within the labour party for the survival of a realistic opposition to the government.

And I say this as a conservative party member who derives absolutely no pleasure in the destruction of labour. The conservative conference will give Theresa May the opportunity to demonstrate that there is only one party in the Country who will govern for all, protect us and respect and support our military.

How has it come to pass that any UK party can actively hate the Country, the national anthem, it's soldiers, is mysoginic and anti semitic and is endorsed by Hamas and the IRA.

Just unbelievable and totally unacceptable. The labour MP's have a huge responsibility to fight against Corbyn, after all he voted against his own party over 500 times
    I'd love to think the Conservative Party respect and support our military, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

But, the Labour Party is in the grip of awful people.
    The Conservative party is a mixed bag of shits, careerists, non-entities, time-servers, narcissists, twerps, and plonkers (Liam Fox) along with a pretty decent smattering of genuinely talented and resourceful people, maybe even some very talented people (who may or may not share the flaws of the shits and time-servers)

But I know that the Tories, to a man or woman, are basically patriotic and genuinely seek to do their best for the British people.

I no longer know if this is true of the Labour Party. For the first time in my life I wonder if they are led, or guided, by active traitors.

Even Foot was a patriot, a fool but a patriot, as his Falklands speech showed. Now??
    I don't know if Corbyn is evil or merely a fool. McDonnell is certainly evil. Livingstone is evil. Their closest acolytes are evil.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

"... only one party in the Country who will govern for all, protect us and respect and support our military ..."

Which party do you have in mind that will support our military? Surely not the one that has been in government for the last six years.

And.......Which party sends them to an illegal war without adequate kit and protection and 6 rounds each?
    By a warmonger called Tony Bliar, s.o.b. Most Labour MPs unlike Tories voted against the war.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    edited September 2016
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    This is just outrageous. I well remember the labour conference speech when Kinnock took on the militants and won leaving the way for Tony Blair's eventually taking and holding onto power.

Listening and watching today with ever increasing horror I never thought I would feel sorry for Yvette Cooper, Tristan Hunt, Chukka Umma and others as they are overpowered by the far left marxist party that Corbyn has turned labour into.

The moderates simply must declare non co-operation with Corbyn and create their own shadow cabinet and fight within the labour party for the survival of a realistic opposition to the government.

And I say this as a conservative party member who derives absolutely no pleasure in the destruction of labour. The conservative conference will give Theresa May the opportunity to demonstrate that there is only one party in the Country who will govern for all, protect us and respect and support our military.

How has it come to pass that any UK party can actively hate the Country, the national anthem, it's soldiers, is mysoginic and anti semitic and is endorsed by Hamas and the IRA.

Just unbelievable and totally unacceptable. The labour MP's have a huge responsibility to fight against Corbyn, after all he voted against his own party over 500 times
    I'd love to think the Conservative Party respect and support our military, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

The Conservative party is a mixed bag of shits, careerists, non-entities, time-servers, narcissists, twerps, and plonkers (Liam Fox) along with a pretty decent smattering of genuinely talented and resourceful people, maybe even some very talented people (who may or may not share the flaws of the shits and time-servers)

But I know that the Tories, to a man or woman, are basically patriotic and genuinely seek to do their best for the British people.

I no longer know if this is true of the Labour Party. For the first time in my life I wonder if they are led, or guided, by active traitors.

Even Foot was a patriot, a fool but a patriot, as his Falklands speech showed. Now??
    I know of no labour leader in my life time (73 years) who was not patriotic and would refuse to sing the national anthem. How has it come to this and how must Neil Kinnock feel today when he sees Hatton back in the marxist (sorry labour party).

History will show that Miliband's last act was to sell the labour party back to Corbyn, O'Donnell, Hatton, Mason and the hard left
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

On the face of our this looks like a massive win for Trump (especially in light of the Trump lie-or-perjury revelation about the Republican debate) but I wonder if not having a distraction to argue with will work against Trump. This will be the first time he has gone 1-on-1. It all cones down to if Hilary is any good and been preparing for the right thing.
    it is absolutely ridiculous not to fact check outrageous lies from either candidate
    Its not the job of the media, it would be impossible to fact check completely and in an unbiased fashion in real time in the middle of a debate, all that would come out would be the moderators own prejudices.

Its the job of the candidates opponent to call them on any statement they feel is inaccurate, for which they should be properly briefed and practised.

Saying in effect that Hillary sucks at debates and so its the job of the moderator and the TV company to pick up the slack for her inability to hold Trump on the accuracy of his statements won't wash, if she wins she will have to do the same with Putin.
    No, the problem is the sheer volume of Trump's lies. If Hillary has to spend her allotted minutes directly calling out Trump each time, when does she get her own message across?
    The whole problem with Hilary and the reason she has not hammered Trump into the ground is that she has no message. Sanders did, even though it was a controversial one. So does Trump, for a given value of message: 'things are shit because Washington is in hock to big business and immigrants exist' (the fact that it is an inaccurate message is a routine detail).

Indeed, spending time calling out Trump on his lies would be a skilful thing to do, as she would then not have to explain her own dismal record on healthcare and foreign affairs, or explain why people should vote for her merely because she is a woman.
    I really do not understand this thinking that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are as bad as each other. I don't think much of Hillary, but she seems your typical slightly corrupt, in it for herself, politician. The sort both us and the Yanks have had for years. Donald Trump, on the other hand, is a complete lunatic.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

Guido's timeline from Liverpool today is selective - but it paints a really unpleasant picture of life in Corbyn's Labour

9:46am: Corbyn tells Jewish peer who quit Labour over anti-Semitism to “reflect“.

9:56am: Corbyn says he backs war crimes investigations into British troops.

10:00am: Corbyn says he opposes giving more resources to MI6.

10:22am: McDonnell defends calling Esther McVey “a stain on humanity”.

10:40am: Yvette Cooper tells McDonnell to apologise.

11:06am: McDonnell doubles down, says “yes I do” think they were the right words.

11:15pm: Derek Hatton spotted in the conference hall.

11:52am: Ken Livingstone talks about Hitler on the BBC.

1:42am: Delegate rants about “Jewish MPs” and “Jewish plot to oust Corbyn”.

1:50pm: Fringe speaker compares Tory welfare policy to Nazis’ Arbeit Macht Frei.

5:00pm: Momentum host speaker who called for a Jewish man’s throat to be cut.

5:25pm: Anti-war merchandise mocking injured British soldiers on sale.

6:00pm: Jackie Walker says anti-Semitism in Labour is “exaggerated“.

6:30pm: Leaflets circulated: “Jewish Labour Movement does not belong in Labour”.

Presumably, the man who talked about Arbeit Macht Frei meant it as a compliment. I guess that tomorrow's Agenda is:-

10 a.m. Did Six Million Really Die? A panel discussion between David Irving, Nick Griffin, John McDonnell, and Ken Livingstone

11.30 a.m. The Eternal Jew. A presentation from former President Ahmedinejad of Iran.

12.30 p.m. Tory Women. Do we hang them, or do we shoot them? John McDonnell.

1.30 p.m. Break for Lunch.

2.30 p.m. British Soldiers, the Murderers Among Us. Gerry Adams and Phil Shiner.

3.30 p.m. ISIS or Al Qaeda? Open forum discussion about which is the more progressive movement.

5 p.m. Address from the Dear Leader.

"3.30 p.m. ISIS or Al Qaeda? Open forum discussion about which is the more progressive movement"

Presumably, AQ as they are now an US ally.
    Is this the latest belief among the far left?
    I didn't know you do not listen or watch the news.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hughes/us-support-for-al-qaeda-l_b_10089410.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

And.......Which party sends them to an illegal war without adequate kit and protection and 6 rounds each?
    By a warmonger called Tony Bliar, s.o.b. Most Labour MPs unlike Tories voted against the war.
    Labour - the REAL Nasty Party?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    surbiton said:

Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Nice whataboutery there

Labour were in power and in government and sent these soldiers into a war zone with inadequate kit. The rest is irrelevant bollocks.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Remind me - which party indeed the only party - has committed to 2% defence spending and renewing Trident.

Also which party, indeed the only party, is backing the prosecution of UK troops, is objecting to increasing M16, and allows disgusting literature on our disabled troops at their National Conference

Answer the second point please
  • Options
    Shootings in Malmo and Illinois.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

On the face of our this looks like a massive win for Trump (especially in light of the Trump lie-or-perjury revelation about the Republican debate) but I wonder if not having a distraction to argue with will work against Trump. This will be the first time he has gone 1-on-1. It all cones down to if Hilary is any good and been preparing for the right thing.
    it is absolutely ridiculous not to fact check outrageous lies from either candidate
    Its not the job of the media, it would be impossible to fact check completely and in an unbiased fashion in real time in the middle of a debate, all that would come out would be the moderators own prejudices.

Its the job of the candidates opponent to call them on any statement they feel is inaccurate, for which they should be properly briefed and practised.

Saying in effect that Hillary sucks at debates and so its the job of the moderator and the TV company to pick up the slack for her inability to hold Trump on the accuracy of his statements won't wash, if she wins she will have to do the same with Putin.
    No, the problem is the sheer volume of Trump's lies. If Hillary has to spend her allotted minutes directly calling out Trump each time, when does she get her own message across?
    The whole problem with Hilary and the reason she has not hammered Trump into the ground is that she has no message. Sanders did, even though it was a controversial one. So does Trump, for a given value of message: 'things are shit because Washington is in hock to big business and immigrants exist' (the fact that it is an inaccurate message is a routine detail).

Indeed, spending time calling out Trump on his lies would be a skilful thing to do, as she would then not have to explain her own dismal record on healthcare and foreign affairs, or explain why people should vote for her merely because she is a woman.
    I really do not understand this thinking that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are as bad as each other. I don't think much of Hillary, but she seems your typical slightly corrupt, in it for herself, politician. The sort both us and the Yanks have had for years. Donald Trump, on the other hand, is a complete lunatic.

Perhaps if there were fewer slightly corrupt, in-it-for-themselves politicians, then we wouldn't need lunatics to be able to beat them.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Not one living president has said they believe Donald Trump has what it takes to be Commander-in-Chief. hrc.io/2d1agpY

Why doesn't she mention that 39 out of 43 former presidents don't have a bad word to say about him?

Pft.

Yet another half-truth from Hillary.

Also talk about small number statistics!
    She used the word "living", in case you missed it. Two of them are Republican.
    Father and brother to one of Trump's beaten rivals.

Of the other two, one is her husband.

That leaves Carter.

It's really amazing this republicanism that means you get people on merit rather than on the basis of which family they're from.
    That jibe would be more effective if you'd not just typed "father and brother to ..."
    I'm at a loss to understand that remark.

My comment followed from yours. 'Two of them [sic] are Republican. Father and brother to one of Trump's beaten rivals'.

That makes perfect sense to me although admittedly your grammar in the earlier comment could be improved.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,838
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

The

I know of no labour leader in my life time (73 years) who was not patriotic and would refuse to sing the national anthem. How has it come to his and how must Neil Kinnock fee today when he sees Hatton back in the marxist (sorry labour party).

History will show that Miliband's last act was to sell the labour party back to Corbyn, O'Donnell, Hatton, Mason and the hard left
    In this extraordinary year it's difficult to know whether Brexit or the moral collapse of Labour is the more important event. I wonder if it is the latter. I cannot see how they recover
    I don't either. A decent human being may stay in Labour to fight Corbyn, but how could a decent human being align himself with him?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2016

Explosions now in Malmo...but it is such a shit hole of a City, shootings are two a penny. The shooting were people on Mopeds, could easily be gang related.
  • Options

Think Malmo has been gripped by gang warfare
  • Options

Malmo has been likely for a while.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/gun-attack-malmo-leaves-multiple-8912762

The Illinois shooting looks like a party fight getting out of hand unless there has been another incident since that time?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/25/us/university-of-illinois-shooting/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Not one living president has said they believe Donald Trump has what it takes to be Commander-in-Chief. hrc.io/2d1agpY

Why doesn't she mention that 39 out of 43 former presidents don't have a bad word to say about him?

Pft.

That leaves Carter.

It's really amazing this republicanism that means you get people on merit rather than on the basis of which family they're from.
    That jibe would be more effective if you'd not just typed "father and brother to ..."

My comment followed from yours. 'Two of them [sic] are Republican. Father and brother to one of Trump's beaten rivals'.

That makes perfect sense to me although admittedly your grammar in the earlier comment could be improved.
    The earlier comment was not mine. I was contrasting the condemnation of Democrat family relationships with, on the Republican side, "father and brother to ...".
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    As noted earlier, the PLP's real mistake was not defenestrating Ed Miliband when they had the chance.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    SeanT said:

If Corbyn had been in the Commons in '82, he would probably have denounced the deaths of the Argentine troops as murder and demanded the British commanders (as well as Thatcher herself) be indicted for war crimes. Or something very like it, anyway.

Maybe that's uncharitable, but I wouldn't find an attitude like that from anyone on the Far Left particularly surprising.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/gun-attack-malmo-leaves-multiple-8912762

The Illinois shooting looks like a party fight getting out of hand unless there has been another incident since that time?

Big explosion in Budapest last night, too. Hasn't had much coverage - seemed to be a nail bomb.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Nice whataboutery there

Labour were in power and in government and sent these soldiers into a war zone with inadequate kit. The rest is irrelevant bollocks.
    False irrelevant bollocks. Most Labour MPs voted for it (254 to 84):

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2003-03-18&number=118&display=allpossible
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sean_F said:

I don't either. A decent human being may stay in Labour to fight Corbyn, but how could a decent human being align himself with him?

Good point, and yet a whole load of Labour MPs will perform the mother of all u-turns and do so shortly.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

Perhaps if there were fewer slightly corrupt, in-it-for-themselves politicians, then we wouldn't need lunatics to be able to beat them.

That seems to be a strange use of the word "need". It's akin to saying if there were fewer bedbugs in the house, we wouldn't need the petrol to set alight to it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    edited September 2016
    surbiton said:

Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

" Most Labour MPs unlike Tories voted against the war."

Really?

There were 139 Labour rebels on the amendment.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2862397.stm

Labour had 413 MPs
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_2001

Whilst *all* the Lib Dem MPs voted against.

You appear to be rewriting history somewhat.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Big explosion in Budapest last night, too. Hasn't had much coverage - seemed to be a nail bomb.
    The last I heard was authorities say they think it was a deliberate attack on the police.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited September 2016

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Pft.

That leaves Carter.

The earlier comment was not mine. I was contrasting the condemnation of Democrat family relationships with, on the Republican side, "father and brother to ...".
    Oh, I see.

But if you read my comment carefully, you will note I didn't actually single out one party or another. My point was that 4 of 7 living nominees/presidents (or 5of 8) are from the same two families. I was criticising them both for nepotism, breaking the spirit of the American system.

Therefore, to expand a bit, Carter is the one who has no family dog in this fight, which is a crazy thought given he was elected 40 years ago. Admittedly he was a dud president although a fine human being.

Edit - and yes, my apologies for muddling you up with Surbiton. I retract my slur on your grammar!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

As noted earlier, the PLP's real mistake was not defenestrating Ed Miliband when they had the chance.

To be fair this is where the actual mistake was made

http://youtu.be/1Jobo0dgRNg
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Former loyalties?

When I left Goldman Sachs they stole half a million dollars worth* of stock from me. They didn't need to. Plenty of other leavers got to keep the stock they gotten as part of their bonuses, or at IPO.

snip

* I'm using the high point of Goldman's stock price, rather than the value when I left, because it makes the story sound better. I'm also ignoring capital gains taxes. So, probably the loss to me was more like $50,000 or so at the time. But still...

:o blimey! Did you get anything back?
    The stock was hit first by income tax wasn't it? CGT was the least of your problems.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    The last remaining UKIP councillor on Cornwall CC has resigned . From 6 in 2013 to zero now . She had already announced that she would not be re standing next year .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    This is a really depressing thread. We are going into difficult waters. Brexit is not going to be easy and the battles are complex.

We are going into these waters without a working and effective opposition. It is not a good thing and increases the risk factors. These bastards have damaged our country already. I would say they should be ashamed but they would have no idea what I was talking about.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

surbiton said:

Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Really?

Labour had 413 MPs

Im not going to tell you again about using facts when arguing against surbiton.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    OT the celebrities on The Island are the most unbelievably incompetent bunch: the two groups of ordinary people who did the same challenge managed to start feeding themselves after two or three days. The celebs have been a week now without proper food; they even spent an afternoon swimming rather than thinking about how to get some food.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is a really depressing thread. We are going into difficult waters. Brexit is not going to be easy and the battles are complex.

We are going into these waters without a working and effective opposition. It is not a good thing and increases the risk factors. These bastards have damaged our country already. I would say they should be ashamed but they would have no idea what I was talking about.

Damaging the Country is exactly what Corbyn and his marxist mates want to happen
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

Ed just been on BBC News saying 'Labour has been written off before and come back, we need to get behind Jeremy!'
  • Options

DavidL said:

Damaging the Country is exactly what Corbyn and his marxist mates want to happen
    Lets not try and pass the buck . The people who have wrecked the future economy of this country are and will always be those who voted for Brexit .
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

Ed just been on BBC News saying 'Labour has been written off before and come back, we need to get behind Jeremy!'
    They've already tried getting behind Jeremy, but the knife was blunt.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
  • Options

DavidL said:

Lets not try and pass the buck . The people who have wrecked the future economy of this country are and will always be those who voted for Brexit .
    LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    According to Reuters, republicans win Vermont with a landslide:

http://www.reuters.com/statesofthenation/

May this be the last time someone posts a Reuters poll on PB.
    50 state polling is always crap.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

They've already tried getting behind Jeremy, but the knife was blunt.
    Will not be too long before Jeremy (or more to the point Jeremy's 'friends') get behind them!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Pft.

That leaves Carter.

Oh, I see.

But if you read my comment carefully, you will note I didn't actually single out one party or another. My point was that 4 of 7 living nominees/presidents (or 5of 8) are from the same two families. I was criticising them both for nepotism, breaking the spirit of the American system.
    Whilst George W Bush became President in dubious circumstances he did not inherit the Presidency from his father, nor did Bill simply bequeath leadership of the Democratic party to Hillary. Are you seriously suggesting spouses or close relatives of former Presidents should be barred from the Presidency?

One thing though I think does break the spirit is the appointment of Supreme Court Justices. Surely no one should have a job for life in a republic? Wouldn't a single fixed term (albeit quite lengthy) be more appropiate?
  • Options

The last remaining UKIP councillor on Cornwall CC has resigned . From 6 in 2013 to zero now . She had already announced that she would not be re standing next year .

Yet on today's ICM poll UKIP are up 1% on the general election and Labour down 4, giving a net swing of 2.5% from Labour to UKIP since the election
  • Options

DavidL said:

Absolute rubbish - This Country bows to nobody when it comes to Governing ourselves and especially the idiots running the EU commission. You need to get over your distress and accept the democratic will of the people
  • Options

DavidL said:

So wrecked that growth is at 1.8%, exactly the same as before the vote!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Speedy said:

Hasn't TX gone from Clinton winning to safe Trump? :p
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Speedy said:

Well it's an out-of-date poll anyway - 10 days. Wonder why nothing since. Maybe because everyone knows how good they are.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Certainly they need an economic depression to have a chance of power, it took 25% unemployment in Greece for Syriza to get in
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Certainly they need an economic depression to have a chance of power, it took 25% unemployment in Greece for Syriza to get in
    must really nark them that we actually have full employment...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I think the only time hats were permitted is when you wanted to speak during a division to raise a point of order and you had to put n a top hat. But that stopped in 1998

And on Budget Day, by tradition. Labour members from the Valleys used to turn up in miners' helmets to make a point. Not sure whether the tradition continues but I only know of two miners in the house now anyway - Skinner and Macloughlin.
    Actually hats were permitted and at one time the norm. They would be convenient for reserving one's seat, for instance. (Though MPs started bringing in two hats to defeat this, resulting in the present system in which prayer cards are used.) The real issue was when you wore the hat, and when you took it off. In 1900 the rule was:

"At all times remove your hat on entering the House, and put it on upon taking your seat; and remove it again on rising for whatever purpose. If the MP asks a question he will stand, and with his hat off; and he may receive the answer of the Minister seated and with his hat on. If on a division he should have to challenge the ruling of the chair, he will sit and put his hat on. If he wishes to address the Speaker on a point of order not connected with a division, he will do so standing with his hat off. When he leaves the House to participate in a division he will take his hat off, but will vote with it on. If the Queen sends a message to be read from the chair, the Member will uncover. In short, how to take his seat, how to behave at prayers, and what to do with his hat, form between them the ABC of the parliamentary scholar."

It remains the case that male members are not allowed to address the house while wearing a hat, but there is nothing to stop them wearing a hat in the chamber and removing it when required. Apparently there has never been such a rule in place for women members, perhaps a gender-bending MP could rely on this precedent?
  • Options
    Included for completeness and amusement: To increase their appearance during debates and to be seen more easily, a Member wishing to raise a point of order during a division was, until 1998, required to speak with his hat on. Collapsible top hats were kept for the purpose. This requirement was abolished following recommendations from the Modernisation Select Committee, which stated:

“At present, if a Member seeks to raise a point of order during a division, he or she must
    speak "seated and covered". In practice this means that an opera hat which is kept at
    each end of the Chamber has to be produced and passed to the Member concerned. This
    inevitably takes some time, during which the Member frequently seeks to use some other
    form of covering such as an Order Paper. This particular practice has almost certainly
    brought the House into greater ridicule than almost any other, particularly since the
    advent of television. We do not believe that it can be allowed to continue.”

Another issue is whether the beret is a permissible form of hat. Originally top hats were required, but they were challenged by Keir Hardie, who always wore a soft cap, and also through the Speaker's allowing a soft hat to Joseph Cowen, 'since the rigidity of the top hat subjected him to headache'. At this time, the Whips were the only Members not to wear hats.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Oh dear .......yet more ejected toys and spat dummies.

next....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

We have not yet cut ourselves off from the single market on our little island fortress so we can go back to the fifties and watch cricket all day long supping warm beer .
  • Options
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

must really nark them that we actually have full employment...
    To a Corbynista it is not full employment as they are private sector jobs, full employment means everyone employed in the public sector!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Interesting. I could have sworn we were promised EEA membership by plenty of Brexiteers.

"Monday's FT: City fears Number 10 is shifting towards a 'hard' exit from EU"

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/780126506882301952
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

We have not yet cut ourselves off from the single market on our little island fortress so we can go back to the fifties and watch cricket all day long supping warm beer .
    Who knows what level of access we will get to the single market but there are far worse things than going back to the fifties, a time of relative prosperity on the whole
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    The public will sort out Labour's problem for it come election time, because there appears not enough will for those who should break away to break away.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

You are just being silly now
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

The Treaty of Rome dates from 1958.....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    HYUFD said:

Did any journalists ask Ed about which bits of Corbyn's platform he agrees with?

I presumed that Ed had more self respect than he apparently does.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Interesting. I could have sworn we were promised EEA membership by plenty of Brexiteers.

It is the voters themselves who do not want full EEA membership if it means no control of migration
    https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/772705722073280512
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

So long as the weather is nice, spending all day watching cricket and drinking warm beer doesn't sound too bad.
  • Options
    Evening all.

Good article by Joff. I feel his pain, but can't offer much hope. John McDonnell's message to the PLP today was clear: the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Still, it's not all bad. At least Labour are providing easy winnings for political punters.
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Did any journalists ask Ed about which bits of Corbyn's platform he agrees with?

He is reported tonight to be pro Brexit and wants immigration control. Will believe it when I see it
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

So long as the weather is nice, spending all day watching cricket and drinking warm beer doesn't sound too bad.
    Indeed.

I think the comment says quite a lot about MarkSenile.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Who knows what level of access we will get to the single market but there are far worse things than going back to the fifties, a time of relative prosperity on the whole
    Mrs MBE Mère enjoys reminding me she remembers the ration cards which went on til 1954 (I think?). Hope that isn't what you are proposing, the Remainiacs won't be too fond of your suggestion otherwise ;-)

(I'll add outdoor toilets and having to be the last person in the family to get to use the tin bath in the yard, by which time the water was cold and filthy. For a lot of people this is what the 50s means...)
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Ed probably agrees with Corbyn on quite a lot, apart from a few things like opposition to Trident, it was Ed who paved the way for Corbyn even if Corbyn has travelled further on
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Cheer up. Brexit will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Mrs MBE Mère enjoys reminding me she remembers the ration cards which went on til 1954 (I think?). Hope that isn't what you are proposing, the Remainiacs won't be too fond of your suggestion otherwise ;-)

(I'll add outdoor toilets and having to be the last person in the family to get to use the tin bath in the yard, by which time the water was cold and filthy. For a lot of people this is what the 50s means...)
    The Treaty of Rome is a 1950s throwback :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Sounds great. If only it was true.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

Relative prosperity, if you compare them with the 30s and 40, perhaps. But definitely not if you compare them with what came afterwards.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/25/head-of-jewish-labour-group-party-is-in-crisis-over-antisemitism?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews#link_time=1474838398

Report on the Momentum fringe meeting to discuss anti-Semitism. These people now represent the views of the ruling class of the Labour Party.

Just read the whole thing, and you'll appreciate how far gone Labour now is. I still don't believe that there's any realistic chance of these people getting into power, but the fact that they are even in the position of being able theoretically to win a General Election is truly shocking.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Has anyone ever drunk WARM beer ?

That is beer which is at approximately 30C ?

Where the fck did that annoying description of bitter beer / real ale come from ?

Doubtless from a country which drinks chilled alcoholic fizz water.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    "Get Brexit right, and I'll be a Tory again. Betray it and you'll see my Ukip adverts from the moon"
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/22/get-brexit-right-and-ill-be-a-tory-again-betray-it-and-youll-see/
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Just as a note, the particular attack in Malmo is not commonal garden in its approach.

The authorities are saying f**k all which is unusual.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

"Get Brexit right, and I'll be a Tory again. Betray it and you'll see my Ukip adverts from the moon"
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/22/get-brexit-right-and-ill-be-a-tory-again-betray-it-and-youll-see/

The problem is that to get it right they have to get it 'wrong' from the point of view of the people who longed for it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Speedy said:

It is quite a small state. Has Trump just, maybe, bought it?
  • Options
    Feels right to be rewatching this tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIgiV8yn3xU
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Trump will win New York City before he gets the endorsement of the New York Times
  • Options
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Relative prosperity, if you compare them with the 30s and 40, perhaps. But definitely not if you compare them with what came afterwards.
    Actually even afterwards I would argue the 50s was a more comfortable time than the 70s and early 80s and even the late noughties
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,378
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

The reason for the cuts was quite simple - MOD spending was all over the place. Huge development programs without the money to fund them, quite a few of which were dead-before-arrival as well - MRA4 (the Nimrod conversion that was judged to be irredeemably unsafe to fly) or the FRES disaster to name but two....

It was a matter of hacking back the dead stuff to try and find what needed to be saved.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The problem is that to get it right they have to get it 'wrong' from the point of view of the people who longed for it.
    One thing I think we can say for sure is the final outcome of Brexit will disappoint hardcore Europhiles and Eurosceptics alike but will probably be acceptable enough for everyone else
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Cheer up. Brexit will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.
    Best not to mention wife for Mark, I think he is a widower. AFAIK
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    This has to be one of the very best newspaper headlines of all times:

http://www.bostonleader.com/florida-man-high-meth-cuts-off-genitals-feeds-alligator/
  • Options

Corbyn appears at 18.27, along with Benn, Foot, Healey, Kinnock, Blair, Owen and Jenkins, essentially the same battles are still being fought again today only this time Corbyn is even more committed to a leftwing agenda than Foot
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn appears at 18.27, along with Benn, Foot, Healey, Kinnock, Blair, Owen and Jenkins, essentially the same battles are still being fought again today only this time Corbyn is even more committed to a leftwing agenda than Foot
    Or the difference is that this time Corbyn is up against a Conservative party faced with intractable disagreements on how to tackle a history-making issue that they cannot avoid, and led by an untested figure with no mandate...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2016
    Y0kel said:

Just as a note, the particular attack in Malmo is not commonal garden in its approach.

The authorities are saying f**k all which is unusual.

I was in Malmo about a year ago. Everything seemed okay except that in the cemetery area there were large numbers of migrants hanging around doing nothing much.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

HYUFD said:

Or the difference is that this time Corbyn is up against a Conservative party faced with intractable disagreements on how to tackle a history-making issue that they cannot avoid, and led by an untested figure with no mandate...
    In the early 80s Thatcher was polling far worse in the early stages of her premiership than May is now and was facing perhaps even more dissent from the 'Wets' within the party concerned about the radical direction of her economic policy. At the next general election she won the largest conservative majority in half a century
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Ishmael_X said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Grow a pair. So are millions of other people.
    This is not a special snowflake safe space.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

HYUFD said:

We have come to such a pass that the state of the Conservative Party and its leadership scarcely matters anymore (with respect to its ability or otherwise to vanquish the hopeless Labour Party, at any rate.) I could lead the Tories to victory against Jeremy Corbyn, let alone the actual incumbent whom, lest we forget, came through six years drinking from the poisoned chalice of the Home Office and took the leadership by acclamation at the end of it.

There does not exist in the country a sufficient plurality of voters willing to back either a leader like JC, or the platform and attitudes on which he will be campaigning, whenever the next general election is held.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Ishmael_X said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

That speaks volumes about your personal standards.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Remember the line: we have a balance of payments deficit with them , therefore it is in their interest to offer us the single market.

Really ?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Ishmael_X said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Ho, a tough guy..
  • Options

surbiton said:

Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Really?

Labour had 413 MPs

How many Tories voted against the war ?
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    Ishmael_X said:

Cheer up. Brexit will increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.

Noted earlier comment. Thought I had read here before that (a hard) Brexit meant there would be something like a 10% tariff applied to German cars? Surely that makes future ownership of that car less likely?.
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

Ishmael_X said:

Cheer up. Brexit will increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.

Noted earlier comment. Thought I had read here before that (a hard) Brexit meant there would be something like a 10% tariff applied to German cars? Surely that makes future ownership of that car less likely?.
    Do you think a BMW owner would be seen dead in any other car ? 10%......pfft....
  • Options
    Food for thought...

patrick @NewsAndStocks
    Shootings and stabbings:

6 stabbed in #Boston
    9 shot in #UIUC
    8 shot in #Baltimore
    5 shot in #Washington

In just the past 24 hrs.

9:51 AM - 25 Sep 2016 · Boston, MA, United States
This discussion has been closed.