Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s the big one in WH2016 and the betting could be tu

Comments

• Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2016
    Dromedary said:

(snip)

Meanwhile, Esther McVey's live-in horse breeder lover, MP Philip Davies, received £10,000 in benefits from companies with links to the gambling industry during a contentious year-long inquiry into the betting trade by a select committee that he was a member of (source) - and failed to report those benefits to the committee.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,800
    Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

I don't know what Esther McVey has done to incur the manic loathing of the hard left.

If you stopped spitting ("manic", "loathing", "hard left"), you could find out some of what it is that people have against her. Start by looking at how her family demolition business, in which she used to be a director, operates. Then look at how she has claimed as her great inspiration William Lever. She calls him "the Merseyside soap baron who became one of the greatest philanthropists". Also known as Lord Leverhulme, the guy ran a private slave-based regime in Congo under the wing of Leopold II of Belgium. The population got reduced by half. This is described in the book Lord Leverhulme's Ghosts: Colonial Exploitation in the Congo. At the DWP she was Minister for Employment, That job normally comes with a health and safety role, namely responsibility for the Health and Safety Executive. But given her family firm's terrible record in health and safety, she got banned from having any responsibilities in that area after the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health wrote to David Cameron to tell them about her. Maybe they are all hard maniacs from the rabid left-handed brigade of misogynistic loathers.

Oh by all means criticise her. I'm thinking more of people advocating she be lynched or calling her a stain on humanity or vandalising her office or threatening her parents. They're from the same stable as people calling a Jewish Labour MP a "yid cunt".
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

I don't know what Esther McVey has done to incur the manic loathing of the hard left.

If you stopped spitting ("manic", "loathing", "hard left"), you could find out some of what it is that people have against her. Start by looking at how her family demolition business, in which she used to be a director, operates. Then look at how she has claimed as her great inspiration William Lever. She calls him "the Merseyside soap baron who became one of the greatest philanthropists". Also known as Lord Leverhulme, the guy ran a private slave-based regime in Congo under the wing of Leopold II of Belgium. The population got reduced by half. This is described in the book Lord Leverhulme's Ghosts: Colonial Exploitation in the Congo. At the DWP she was Minister for Employment, That job normally comes with a health and safety role, namely responsibility for the Health and Safety Executive. But given her family firm's terrible record in health and safety, she got banned from having any responsibilities in that area after the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health wrote to David Cameron to tell them about her. Maybe they are all hard maniacs from the rabid left-handed brigade of misogynistic loathers.

Anyone who has to invoke Leopold II to justify their behaviour is scratching around for an excuse.
  • Options

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

Anyone who has to invoke Leopold II to justify their behaviour is scratching around for an excuse.
    Quite
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

Indeed, talk about reaching.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Does that mean the Scottish and Welsh NEC members will happen, or not?

As things stand, it means that they will happen. But until the conference vote actually happens and the measure is approved nothing is certain. Corbyn is fighting tooth and nail to prevent it and Len McCluskey is by his side.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Shocking

Economists at @hmtreasury have reversed their downgrades and now expect growth of 1.8pc - exactly the same as they predicted before the vote https://t.co/wH3sJNK3Rr
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, hope it works out.
  • Options
    There are lots of dubious connections, heroes and heroines amongst MPs: from tobacco to arms trading. None of them are Richard Roper: they don't deserve 'stain on humanity' insults.

There's a nasty bigoted anti-semitic and misogynist spine down team Corbyn. It's deeply unpleasant. But then, wasn't it ever thus with Marxist-Leninist-Trotskyites?
  • Options
    Morning all,

A bumper week in store. POTUS debate and ferret fighting at the seaside.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    PlatoSaid said:

Shocking

Economists at @hmtreasury have reversed their downgrades and now expect growth of 1.8pc - exactly the same as they predicted before the vote https://t.co/wH3sJNK3Rr

I feel sure those same economists will be telling us all that they will be downgrading the extra 350 million a day to the NHS promised by the Vote leave campaign to ZERO
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

As things stand, it means that they will happen. But until the conference vote actually happens and the measure is approved nothing is certain. Corbyn is fighting tooth and nail to prevent it and Len McCluskey is by his side.

If (all sections of) the members are overwhelmingly pro-JC, won't the Conference be also?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

Oh by all means criticise her. I'm thinking more of people advocating she be lynched or calling her a stain on humanity or vandalising her office or threatening her parents. They're from the same stable as people calling a Jewish Labour MP a "yid cunt".
    Quite.
  • Options
    Daniel FinkelsteinVerified account
    @Dannythefink Daniel Finkelstein Retweeted Nick Robinson
    I think the obstacles to Corbyn as PM are too great to overcome but I think it is imperative and a media duty to take it seriously.

You betcha.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Dromedary said:

Sandpit said:

I wonder how much either candidate can gain from the debates, although maybe there's a low bar of expectation from them both. They've both got a lot to lose though, one slip of the tongue could sink their campaign.

Which would win it for the other.

There isn't symmetry. Shocks favour Trump. This makes it like Brexit.

Predictions about the TV "debate" are of little value if they come from journalists who don't mention the fake world of wrestling. Here is how Trump is seen to "stand up to pressure" in that environment:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHwypvDvuFY?t=01m20s

TBH, I don't place any faith in the US media at all, and even less in the UK media re Trump. The bias against him is painful.

It's like watching Soubry commenting on Brexit voters.
    So just to be clear, not a single TV station or newspaper is trustworthy in your world. They're ALL biased.

The only source of the truth is the right wing news sites and columnist you constantly copy and paste.

Is that correct? Does it not cross your mind that this bias is actually because what you believe to be true is not consistent with reality?
    No, twitter's obviously *the* source, given the number of links posted from it.

And that's a problem: the very way Twitter works means that you end up getting views from people you generally agree with, which is why phrases such as : "My twitter feed is alive with ..." are meaningless.

People who bathe themselves in views on Twitter are only going to get self-assurance. They're not seeking anyone to challenge their views.

Twitter is poison for political debate.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Dromedary said:

Sandpit said:

I wonder how much either candidate can gain from the debates, although maybe there's a low bar of expectation from them both. They've both got a lot to lose though, one slip of the tongue could sink their campaign.

Predictions about the TV "debate" are of little value if they come from journalists who don't mention the fake world of wrestling. Here is how Trump is seen to "stand up to pressure" in that environment:

TBH, I don't place any faith in the US media at all, and even less in the UK media re Trump. The bias against him is painful.

So just to be clear, not a single TV station or newspaper is trustworthy in your world. They're ALL biased.

The only source of the truth is the right wing news sites and columnist you constantly copy and paste.

Is that correct? Does it not cross your mind that this bias is actually because what you believe to be true is not consistent with reality?

And that's a problem: the very way Twitter works means that you end up getting views from people you generally agree with, which is why phrases such as : "My twitter feed is alive with ..." are meaningless.

People who bathe themselves in views on Twitter are only going to get self-assurance. They're not seeking anyone to challenge their views.

Society in general I would say, Mr Jessop.
  • Options
    History of Parliament
    As promised, our blog from @KathrynRix marking the death of Conservative MP Gerald Arbuthnot at the Somme, 25/9/16: https://t.co/zELHSzXHZh
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906
    edited September 2016
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/714094/Scottish-MPs-claim-500k-of-taxpayers-money-business-flights-natalie-mcGarry

SNP MPs getting a taste for the high life.

Other notable business-class travellers included Mhairi Black, who once claimed Westminster had a "sense of entitlement that still oozes out of the pores of this discredited institution".

Lol.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If (all sections of) the members are overwhelmingly pro-JC, won't the Conference be also?
    It would require the conference to reject, in full, the entire wide ranging package of changes to the rule book put forward by the NEC. That's because the Conference Arrangements Committee has ruled that the package be voted on as a whole (including changes such as guaranteeing a party leader a presence on the ballot in the event of a future leadership challenge). It would be exceptional for that sort of thing to happen, which must make it unlikely. If the far left could pull it off, they really could be considered to be on the march, but otherwise they are going to go two down on the NEC.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Conference is not OMOV and the CLP representation is more tilted towards the pre-2015 members as they are the ones that get involved. But the vote could still be lost.

• Options
    Mr. Jessop, I try to follow accounts or have people in lists who don't share my views.

It doesn't always work. For reasons that are mysterious, one such chap (very lefty) blocked me for no apparent reason.
  • Options

619 said:

Dare I ask...what is the Hillary's eyes meme?
    Do they turn bright red when she's crossed?

Her eyes allegedly move oddly, supposedly a sign of some underlying serious health condition which she is concealing.

See, for example, http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthcare/297208-clintons-eyes-a-window-into-her-health-issues

Does anyone here have enough medical knowledge to comment on the plausibility of this?
    she has released pages of her medical information so thats a good place to start.
    But can we trust the medical information Hillary has released?

Quoting from that site again: "Clinton's physician reported that she was placed on Coumadin (a blood thinner) to dissolve the blood clot. Actually, that is incorrect, because Coumadin has no effect on an existing clot. It serves only to decrease the chance of further clotting occurring Clinton's physician has also reported that on follow up exam, the clot had resolved. That is surprising since the majority of such clots do not dissolve. The way it was documented that the clot had resolved has not been reported."

If that claim about Coumadin is accurate, Clinton's doctor must have given false information.
    Last week Bornstein laughed when he mentioned Trump’s mental health: “His mental health is excellent. He thinks he’s the best.”
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/08/bornstein-trump-linguistics/497840/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

I missed, in that long diatribe, the justification for dumping shit at the house of an elderly couple.

Maybe that's because there is no justification,as dumping shit is criminal damage, not political discourse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/714094/Scottish-MPs-claim-500k-of-taxpayers-money-business-flights-natalie-mcGarry

Other notable business-class travellers included Mhairi Black, who once claimed Westminster had a "sense of entitlement that still oozes out of the pores of this discredited institution".

Lol.

Just a couple of steps until they are institutionalised. Soon the SNP will be talking down independence and talking some nebulous form of "more freedoms". The civil service always get their way.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

Dromedary said:

Sandpit said:

Someone mentioned John Peel FPT.

To paraphrase "Everyone I know has a copy of this album! No, you know everyone with a copy"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Morning all :)

I always find it strange that forecasts by economists are always praised when they show what the reader wants to see and derided when they don't.

Anyway, other matters. The debate for the US election will be fascinating - I won't be watching it as I have work and a life - and I expect to wake tomorrow to both sides trumpeting to anyone left who cares that their candidate won it hands down. The search for impartial analysis on the debate will be futile - I suppose I'll have to end up watching it and forming my own view.

It's probably long overdue we had a purge of commentators, analysts, pundits and people with nothing better to do than be paid to share their opinions with the world.

Closer to home - the re-coronation of Jeremy Corbyn has left some in the pit of despair while others cavort on the seas of hubris. Southam's piece yesterday was excellent (now I would pay for his opinions but not very much). There were thankfully a few on here yesterday who recognised the need for coherent Opposition and indeed wished the Labour Party well while others wanted it to die and then drive a stake through its heart.

As I've often said, politics doesn't work that way and nature abhors a vacuum. The notion any Party "tent" can be so large as to encompass both itself and its opposition is fanciful. There will come a point when the internal tensions will cause the tent to collapse. Both the Thatcher and Blair voting coalitions fell apart in the end as will the Cameron bloc.

The central conundrum to Brexit to this observer is single market vs freedom of movement. They appear mutually exclusive and I can understand the EU wanting them to remain so otherwise what would be the point of the whole organisation ? Given that's the EU's "red line" (or one of them), what's ours ? I've assumed ending freedom of movement carries more weight than continued membership of the single market.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906

Mr. Jessop, I try to follow accounts or have people in lists who don't share my views.

It doesn't always work. For reasons that are mysterious, one such chap (very lefty) blocked me for no apparent reason.

Was it Han Dodges ?
  • Options

That is because you are undoubtedly a sensible chap. It may also help that your particular area of interest is rather before the era of Twitter. :)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited September 2016
    Re Charlotte Leslie, her parents had cars damaged.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/vandals-wreck-bristol-mp-candidate-charlotte/story-26425029-detail/story.html

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/vandals-drilled-oil-tank-attack-bristol-mp/story-26443808-detail/story.html

The slogan Fracking Whore appeared on her constituency office in Jan 2015, words which the BBC airbrushed out.

No-one appears to have been charged.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So any word on the gang of 84?

The gang of 1984 are at the Labour conference I believe.

There was no gang of 84 as I explained last night, just people on Twitter being mischievous (shock).
  • Options

I've probably a couple of dozen or more I follow that are my polar opposites on several topics - it's a great way to understand what annoys them/what they're passionate about.

Twitter is what you make of it. If you choose to create an echo chamber - you'll get an echo chamber.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pulpstar said:

Lol.

The only time SNP MPs turn left is when they get on a a plane...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

I missed, in that long diatribe, the justification for dumping shit at the house of an elderly couple.

Maybe that's because there is no justification,as dumping shit is criminal damage, not political discourse.
    It reminds me of a story (*) from a few decades ago. A farmer had been refused planning permission, so one summer's day he drives down to the council offices with a muck spreader and sprays muck through the open windows. Inside, the offices are covered in excrement.

Except he got the wrong building ....

(*) I think from Stephen Pile's 'Book of Heroic Failures'
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, way leftier.

Remember the chap whose tweet about the EU being the 'largest economy in the world by far'? That's the fellow.

I had a few perfectly civil back and forths with him about things (mostly whether videogames could have good stories. I think he's one of those chaps who doesn't actually play them but does like to judge them), then got blocked for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    edited September 2016

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

Stalin on the other hand..
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

tlg86 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jessica Parker
    Calls for a new breakaway party from @John_Ferrett as the #Portsmouth #Labour group leader quits @UKLabour. Here's his resignation letter https://t.co/xRLUvhM3zN

Okay, so she's a nobody from Portsmouth (significant), but this is quite damning:

I cannot advocate to voters that they elect a Labour Government with Jeremy Corbyn at the helm. Indeed, I would be morally obliged to campaign against any administration that included Corbyn and John McDonnell, given my belief that they would seriously imperil our nation's national security if ever given the reins of power.
    There are just not going to be enough poster boards for the Tories at the next election.
    In the successor seat(s) to Portsmouth South, that could seriously imperil the Conservatives' chances at the next election. Since it looks to be a one-off with no real impact outside of the city, so it's hardly something for the Conservatives here to celebrate.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:
    Cllr Ferrett's notoriety bridges the Atlantic....
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    PlatoSaid said:
    Splendid stuff, I had not previously seen that 'John McTernan, a former Blair adviser and a persistent Corbyn critic, on Wednesday called him "the most woeful, the most useless, the most dangerous and the most unpleasant leader the Labour Party has ever had in its history."'
  • Options

Mr. Observer, hope it works out.

Cheers. I am pretty sure something will go wrong, though. It always does!

• Options
    I once had a hard-leftie friend who called me "One of only two public school boys he had as friends."

When asked how many public school boys he knew, he answered: "two." :)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

So any word on the gang of 84?

The gang of 1984 are at the Labour conference I believe.

There was no gang of 84 as I explained last night, just people on Twitter being mischievous (shock).
    So far it seems to be councillors and parliamentary candidates resigning and urging the MPs to become a gang
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, sounds like my F1 weekend tips this year :p
  • Options
    Going back to my piece yesterday. Anybody in Labour who seeks to defend John McDonnell's comments about Esther McVey, or who fails to condemn them when asked, is lost forever. Anyone who does say that they were disgusting and despicable can be redeemed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Splendid stuff, I had not previously seen that 'John McTernan, a former Blair adviser and a persistent Corbyn critic, on Wednesday called him "the most woeful, the most useless, the most dangerous and the most unpleasant leader the Labour Party has ever had in its history."'
    It's only 0938, and I've face ache already - again. Still all the laughter is burning off popcorn calories.
  • Options
    As we are in the mid-morning lull when people actually do some work, I will exercise a personal prejudice.

One piquant side effect of the election of Jeremy Corbyn has been the quandary of those actors, comedians and other members of the liberal/left elite, often subsisting on the modern day version of outdoor relief at the BBC, who have been able to arrogate to themselves an aura of virtue, insight and understanding without the intelligence, hard work and self-sacrifice traditionally associated with those attributes.

Hitherto they have been able to develop this aesthetic by wearing scruffy jumpers, crumpled linen jackets, faded denims and loosely tied deck shoes and utter a few well-placed diatribes against brexiteers, Daily Mail readers and Tories, together with a self-effacing, modest declaration of support for the Labour party.

This neat trick has allowed these red carpet anti-capitalists to continue in their scramble for money, indulge in shameless nepotism and place their children in good schools more or less uncriticised.
    But now their bluff has been called by the red brigade who regard Corbyn as a middle-of–the-road political moderate. A truly socialist Labour Party will threaten their life-style and their nice houses in London and second homes in the country. What now? Saying, “Hey! I’m a normal Labour kind of guy, just like you” will not do.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It would require the conference to reject, in full, the entire wide ranging package of changes to the rule book put forward by the NEC. That's because the Conference Arrangements Committee has ruled that the package be voted on as a whole (including changes such as guaranteeing a party leader a presence on the ballot in the event of a future leadership challenge). It would be exceptional for that sort of thing to happen, which must make it unlikely. If the far left could pull it off, they really could be considered to be on the march, but otherwise they are going to go two down on the NEC.
    Well I guess the Blairite tradition of making sure that the Labour Conference never gets to vote on anything meaningful is still being kept alive, at least.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Well I guess the Blairite tradition of making sure that the Labour Conference never gets to vote on anything meaningful is still being kept alive, at least.

It could not be more meaningful. If it goes through then Corbyn's ability to rewrite rules on reselection and leadership nominations will be severely curtailed. That's why he is fighting so hard against it.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    edited September 2016
    Ishmael_X said:

PlatoSaid said:
    As someone involved in David Miliband's leadership campaign, communications director for Julia Gillard, chief of staff to Jim Murphy and some time advisor to Kezia Dugdale, McTernan certainly know his stuff on uselessness. He's even got his own twitter hashtag, #mcternanpredicts.

e.g.

https://twitter.com/NeilMackay/status/757211687032385536
  • Options

Going back to my piece yesterday. Anybody in Labour who seeks to defend John McDonnell's comments about Esther McVey, or who fails to condemn them when asked, is lost forever. Anyone who does say that they were disgusting and despicable can be redeemed.

It is getting to the point where if you remain in the labour party, you risk now being tainted with these guys, and what outfits like Momentum stand for.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

Dromedary said:

Sandpit said:

Someone mentioned John Peel FPT.

To paraphrase "Everyone I know has a copy of this album! No, you know everyone with a copy"
    John Peel, someone I once admired until the facts on his interest in under age girls was exposed.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Labour will ban fracking.

Might be a mature industry by the time Labour get near power.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:
    Ouch!

"Asked by a reporter at the RNC about the divisions and chaos in the Republican party, Newt Gingrich joked: "Well we're much better off than the British Labour Party.""
  • Options
    Corbyn to have another go (his fourth) to block NEC seat for Scot and Welsh leaders at 7.30am NEC meeting tmrw morning ahead of conf vote
  • Options

Good on you for saying that :+1:

There is no place for political violence or intimidation in UK politics. Robust debate, certainly, but the antics against McVey, Charlotte Leslie and now some moderate Labour MPs are just not acceptable.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    dr_spyn said:

Should imagine the printing press, the micro chip and the gramophone may be under threat too as they are a danger to traditional working class jobs.

• Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It could not be more meaningful. If it goes through then Corbyn's ability to rewrite rules on reselection and leadership nominations will be severely curtailed. That's why he is fighting so hard against it.

Of course - but as WP says, they wont get to vote on it, but on a whole package that includes things they want as well. So the good labour tradition of conference-fixing lives on...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited September 2016

Lol.

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Lol.

Excellent :lol:
  • Options
    Poll by @SkyData suggests 45% of Labour supporters think it is unlikely the party will ever win another General Election
  • Options

As we are in the mid-morning lull when people actually do some work, I will exercise a personal prejudice.

One piquant side effect of the election of Jeremy Corbyn has been the quandary of those actors, comedians and other members of the liberal/left elite, often subsisting on the modern day version of outdoor relief at the BBC, who have been able to arrogate to themselves an aura of virtue, insight and understanding without the intelligence, hard work and self-sacrifice traditionally associated with those attributes.

Hitherto they have been able to develop this aesthetic by wearing scruffy jumpers, crumpled linen jackets, faded denims and loosely tied deck shoes and utter a few well-placed diatribes against brexiteers, Daily Mail readers and Tories, together with a self-effacing, modest declaration of support for the Labour party.

This neat trick has allowed these red carpet anti-capitalists to continue in their scramble for money, indulge in shameless nepotism and place their children in good schools more or less uncriticised.
    But now their bluff has been called by the red brigade who regard Corbyn as a middle-of–the-road political moderate. A truly socialist Labour Party will threaten their life-style and their nice houses in London and second homes in the country. What now? Saying, “Hey! I’m a normal Labour kind of guy, just like you” will not do.

Saw a great mocking tweet earlier taking the piss out of Caprio and Obama wittering about climate change - when their own behaviour is the carbon footprint of several small countries.

Like Al Gore and his giant house that was jokingly visible from space.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Poll by @SkyData suggests 45% of Labour supporters think it is unlikely the party will ever win another General Election

To give them some hope, polling in the summer of 1992 would probably have been pretty similar.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,973
    edited September 2016
    Slightly more tension in the Far East:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37469983

I do wonder if Japan will properly tool up, given the increasingly military nature of China (and North Korea, of course).

Edited extra bit: Miss Plato, that's akin to Caroline Lucas flitting about in planes. Bad for the plebs to do it, good for her.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    dr_spyn said:

We would be using dilithium crystals by then so no one will care about fracking or digging that black funny stuff out of the ground.
  • Options
    Down the road, Momentum is holding its own conference. Nothing says party unity like one wing having a shadow jamboree in the same city.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/miliband-fans-gather-to-recall-the-good-old-days-z9fvg7mmh
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Saw a great mocking tweet earlier taking the piss out of Caprio and Obama wittering about climate change - when their own behaviour is the carbon footprint of several small countries.

Al Gore never did understand the critism he got for hosting 100 leaders, travelling on 100 planes to some nice island for a summit of pontification about carbon emissions.

Hint: Next time, they should get Cisco Telepresence to sponsor it, a showcase for this new found internet thingy.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Should imagine the printing press, the micro chip and the gramophone may be under threat too as they are a danger to traditional working class jobs.

The most absurd thing I heard this morning from McDonnell, amongst many, was him talking about how Labour wanted to work with entrepreneurs. Maybe I know the wrong people, but I think entrepreneurs and business people would run a mile from a Labour government with McDonnell and Corbyn at the helm.

Listening to him I thought that in his own way McDonnell is every bit as crackers as Corbyn. It's like they don't share the same reality as most other politicians.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Arnold Palmer: gods gift to golf has gone to his rest. All golfers and lovers of the sport will mourn today.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    The "snowbirds" will have left New York for Florida by Nov 8th. They will be predominantly Democrat. Does anyone know whether the Florida polls take this into account?
  • Options
    Last night I chanced online upon an article by Michael Deacon, The Daily Telegraph's political sketchwriter, about Jeremy Corbyn's habit of incessant sniffing, despite his not having the least suspicion of a cold nor other obvious medical explanation for this .... and what it might possibly mean from a psychological point of view.
    I made a mental note to return later and read the piece more fully. When I attempted to do so during the early hours, I was surprised to discover that it had totally disappeared, even a number of varying Google searches failed to discover any trace of it.
    I still imagined that it might appear in this morning's hard copy of the newspaper, but no such luck.
    How bloody odd!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

To give them some hope, polling in the summer of 1992 would probably have been pretty similar.
    But then, they got serious and installed Blair. Chances of that happening again? Close to nil....
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, that does sound quite peculiar.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2016

Last night I chanced online upon an article by Michael Deacon, The Daily Telegraph's political sketchwriter, about Jeremy Corbyn's habit of incessant sniffing, despite his not having the least suspicion of a cold nor other obvious medical explanation for this .... and what it might possibly mean from a psychological point of view.
    I made a mental note to return later and read the piece more fully. When I attempted to do so during the early hours, I was surprised to discover that it had totally disappeared, even a number of varying Google searches failed to discover any trace of it.
    I still imagined that it might appear in this morning's hard copy of the newspaper, but no such luck.
    How bloody odd!

This one?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/25/did-you-vote-for-brexit-jeremy-corbyn-v-owen-smith-their-bittere/

Edit: it does say he does a lot of sniffing but doesn't dwell on it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Al Gore never did understand the critism he got for hosting 100 leaders, travelling on 100 planes to some nice island for a summit of pontification about carbon emissions.

Hint: Next time, they should get Cisco Telepresence to sponsor it, a showcase for this new found internet thingy.
    Given Al Gore invented teh interwebs - it really was a missed opportunity.

I was very depressed over Hopenhagen media cobblers - and then we got the still anonymous brave soul who leaked ClimateGate emails. I spent days reading them and sharing - appalling manipulation of data and peer group freezing out.

Nothing broke my trust in science as that did.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, point of order: science is great. Scientists, however, are only human. Some make mistakes, and some are rapscallions.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,467
    dr_spyn said:

I see the ASA is likely to rule that Friends of the Earth anti-fracking claims lack any evidentiary basis:
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fracking-scare-stories-condemned-by-watchdog-mkw6dn6t0
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Miss Plato, point of order: science is great. Scientists, however, are only human. Some make mistakes, and some are rapscallions.

Are rapscallions hip-hop spring onions?
  • Options

As ever, go with the evidence not the people.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    glw said:

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

The most absurd thing I heard this morning from McDonnell, amongst many, was him talking about how Labour wanted to work with entrepreneurs. Maybe I know the wrong people, but I think entrepreneurs and business people would run a mile from a Labour government with McDonnell and Corbyn at the helm.

Listening to him I thought that in his own way McDonnell is every bit as crackers as Corbyn. It's like they don't share the same reality as most other politicians.
    By entrepreneurs, McDonnell probably means people seeking to open vegan cafes, New Age therapy centres, lentil bulk-buying cooperatives and all sorts of no-hoper ideas that will be funded with public money (as long as the "entrepreneurs" are on-message politically).

• Options
    Good morning. What happened to the embargoed Labour letter?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

Shocking

Steve Caunt ‏@stephencaunt
    .@BrexitCentral @hmtreasury Guess I'll be £4300 better off than I would have been then! @George_Osborne
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, this isn't really my area, but I gather hip-hop and rap are not the same sort of thing.

Mr. Evershed, quite. Evidence leads to conclusion, that's the scientific, a posteriori way. To have a firm conclusion in mind and collecting helpful evidence to back up a pre-determined opinion is the way of Creationism.

Mr. B, good to know.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Of course - but as WP says, they wont get to vote on it, but on a whole package that includes things they want as well. So the good labour tradition of conference-fixing lives on...
    McCluskey railing against fixing conference votes? That's a new one to me.

It's not even a fix either. Just a vote on a package of changes, which is the norm for rule changes put forward by the NEC to conference, requiring them to choose whether on balance they approve or not. The far left will not approve of course, because the name of the game to Corbyn/McDonnell/Momentum is control of the NEC and that trumps anything else. What is irking them is that others will take a less factional approach and look on the changes on their overall merits, which is probably why they will go through.
  • Options
    Danny Fink
    Matthew, when we Jews finally get to organising our conspiracy, I don't think the plan is to start with Tim Farron's leadership campaign. https://t.co/zMkSCs0S1m

:smiley:
  • Options

Are rapscallions hip-hop spring onions?
    :lol:
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PlatoSaid said:

Danny Fink
    Matthew, when we Jews finally get to organising our conspiracy, I don't think the plan is to start with Tim Farron's leadership campaign. https://t.co/zMkSCs0S1m

What is this about ?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

Shocking

.@BrexitCentral @hmtreasury Guess I'll be £4300 better off than I would have been then! @George_Osborne
    The smile will come off when the negotiations really get underway.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

As ever, go with the evidence not the people.
    Who decides what research gets done and what spin is put on it, with a view to doing what research in future? "Evidence" or people who give out or get big-money grants?

There used to be ice fairs on the Thames, until the climate warmed up so much that they couldn't be held any more. That was before industry. The climate has always changed and it always will. It's natural for it to change. The bought-and-paid-for "knowledgists", or "scientists" to use the Latinate term, haven't got much of a clue why. As for stopping the climate changing, if that isn't an insane anti-nature aim (for some clothed apes with their necks wound right out) then I don't know what is.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

Shocking

The smile will come off when the negotiations really get underway.
    19th times the charm
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GuardianAnushka: Labour's NEC signed off Corbyn's 10 point policy plan, including universal childcare, rent controls & "ending support for aggressive wars",
  • Options

Good morning. What happened to the embargoed Labour letter?

published and the guy resigned live on Radio Solent this morning
  • Options

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

But then, they got serious and installed Blair. Chances of that happening again? Close to nil....
    At least they know what they have to do. But you're right, today's Labour Party leadership don't appear to care about elections, except to their own NEC.

I voted for Blair in '01; if Labour are going to win again, they need me to at least consider voting for them. Right now, I'm a card-carrying PB Tory, the Labour Party has a long way to go.
  • Options
    Mr. P, only gentle wars under Labour.

Mr. Dromedary, quite agree. And centuries before the ice fairs we had warm periods. The climate has always and will always change.

I also think there's much overlap when it comes to what people either side think we should do (more geothermal is good, energy efficiency is good etc etc).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    SandraM said:

By entrepreneurs, McDonnell probably means people seeking to open vegan cafes, New Age therapy centres, lentil bulk-buying cooperatives and all sorts of no-hoper ideas that will be funded with public money (as long as the "entrepreneurs" are on-message politically).

For starters McDonnell is promising to borrow an extra £350 billion over 5 years.

Collectively Labour want to prop up failing industries like steel, but ban industries that have growth potential like fracking, increase taxes even though they can't keep track of the current rates, nationalise whole sectors like the railways, ban private industry from other areas like health, and be more interventionist and oppose globalisation.

Their followers are even more extreme in many cases, considering profit making to be amongst the worst of sins.

I don't know what business people and entrepreneurs McDonnell thinks support all this, but I suspect that they are a much rarer breed than he thinks.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Danny Fink

What is this about ?
    It's about idiots trying to be clever.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

I was very depressed over Hopenhagen media cobblers - and then we got the still anonymous brave soul who leaked ClimateGate emails. I spent days reading them and sharing - appalling manipulation of data and peer group freezing out.

The clear interaction between science and politics is the problem here, and it's not difficult to follow the money. The Climategate scientists would have been better off using their own private email server in someone's basement. ;)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Arnold Palmer: gods gift to golf has gone to his rest. All golfers and lovers of the sport will mourn today.

Silly factoid. Palmer was still in the top 5 earning golfers every year, not because of course design or clubs or clothing...because of the iced tea brand he gave his name to.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

The Internet was invented in the late 1960s, early 1970s in academic institutions, mainly in the USA.

The world wide web was invented by Tim Berners Lee at CERN, Switzerland, in the 1980s.

• Options

How bloody odd!

Maybe the pinko cell at the Torygraph got up to some dirty work in the night.

If Jeremy Corbyn advocated policies you favoured, would his facial body language interest you so much?
  • Options

Mr. P, only gentle wars under Labour.

Mr. Dromedary, quite agree. And centuries before the ice fairs we had warm periods. The climate has always and will always change.

I also think there's much overlap when it comes to what people either side think we should do (more geothermal is good, energy efficiency is good etc etc).

The current Labour leadership probably would have advocated appeasement with Hitler, in fact they may have proposed an alliance and started shipping British Jews to Germany for extermination.
This discussion has been closed.