Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s the big one in WH2016 and the betting could be tu

Comments

• Options

Anorak said:

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 44s44 seconds ago
    McDonnell expected to make big announcement, labour would raise minimum wage to £10 an hour by 2020 - details in his speech soon

Magic money sequoia.
    Is anyone keeping track of labours borrowing/ spending pledges? Seems like they're just chucking money around everywhere
    Con HQ no doubt. By 2020 they will have a dossier as big as a house. As I said yesterday the five week GE campaign will be a sight to behold as Tories and media destroy Labour. Shock and Awe.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

McDonnell expected to make big announcement, labour would raise minimum wage to £10 an hour by 2020 - details in his speech soon

er, they are not in power and wont be until at least may 2020 (and not then either)
    Isn't it going up to £9.62 anyway ?
    I thought it was going to £9? When was the .62 announced, that's an odd amount.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    Have you ever seen the film Avatar? There's a tree in it which is about 10 times the size of the Empire State. But which is a mere bonsai in comparison to Labour's magic money tree.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2016

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    Is anyone keeping track of labours borrowing/ spending pledges? Seems like they're just chucking money around everywhere
    Con HQ no doubt. By 2020 they will have a dossier as big as a house. As I said yesterday the five week GE campaign will be a sight to behold as Tories and media destroy Labour. Shock and Awe.
    By 2020....they are already having to rent extra warehouse space for the filing cabinets of stuff.

The only problems the Tories might have is having too much to attack and ending up scatter gunning. They need to consider what is the stuff that will scare the British public the most and ram that home from now on e.g. I don't think the IRA supporting stuff is best line of attack, despite being valid.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    £100bn extra is what they are going to borrow invest..
    But is this on top of Corbyns nice round 500 billion borrowing figure? How about all this nationlisation - who pays for that? More borrowing?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Pulpstar said:

er, they are not in power and wont be until at least may 2020 (and not then either)
    It's a figure I had in my head for some reason !

Probably right with £9 tbh
  • Options

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    £10 a hour saves money surely? They can cut down on universal credit payments.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Pulpstar said:

On the other hand basic infrastructure is a no brainer.

Our infrastructure is second rate. Housing, broad band, roads, power, airports, the things that make life easier and more efficient.

This country has been skimping for the last 50 years and it shows.

I think I would agree with that Mr. Brooke, and having driven up to Leeds and back this last weekend it would seem that at least on the motorway network serious money is now being invested.
    I live between J30 and 31, and can';t work out quite what has been done on the motorway. There seem to have been speed restrictions for ages and a large purple pipe has been put down the middle of the carriageways...
    That section is being converted to a "Smart Motorway". Someone will know exactly what that means, but as far as I can gather from sections that have already been converted there will be variable speed limits and the hard shoulder can be switched to an additional lane when the level of traffic builds up.

The big purple pipe running along the top of the central reservation I can't help you with. I think it might be just a conduit for the wires needed to carry the signals to the giant signs telling drivers to use/not use the hard shoulder.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    Make it £12/hr and just cut all housing benefit, from everyone.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    Depends how many more you have on the rock n roll....
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Enough of this inconsequential news. Australia has it right: two months in chokey for mooning...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37426651
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

taffys said:

If Labour is truly in the meltdown phase that is being suggested on here, then the tactic of giving such a party a free hand in Batley and Spen is surely open to very serious question.

Yes, but it's politically bloody difficult for the Cons or LDs to change their mind about not standing now, given the circumstances.

Must be a good opportunity for UKIP to pick up a seat, if supporters of the blues make an effort to get behind them.
    Are UKIP standing ?
    Mmm, it appears that the UKIP candidate is standing as an independent. So no real competition for Labour.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batley_and_Spen_by-election,_2016

I understand why the other parties said what they did in the heat of the battle in June, but it's looking a little silly now to give Corbyn a free pass.
    Had it not been for a murder it would have been in the red column until 2020 anyway. While MPs are individuals the idea we can change Parliamentary arithmetic by bombs and bullets always seems wrong to me.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

So the big announcement is basically they are going to match the Tories plus a little bit? Or is this £10 for even 16 year olds (which is a brilliant way to make sure 16-24 year olds are extremely unattractive to employ).
    Tories backtracking £9 is now £8.70 isn't it.

plus a little bit?£10 is an extra £1.30 an hour = £2704 a year extra for poor workers.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    CCHQ will be keeping a large dossier of everything anyone in Labour is saying or promising right now. Will all be brought back out again when the GE is called.

I'd love to see the Tory strategy, they must be looking past 50 seats into Labour territory now, with maybe only a dozen new seats requiring a decent defence.
  • Options
    "Patriots pay their taxes"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It's a figure I had in my head for some reason !

Probably right with £9 tbh
    BBC says it was planned to be just above £9 by 2020. But that was an Osborne promise, so may all change.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

But is this on top of Corbyns nice round 500 billion borrowing figure? How about all this nationlisation - who pays for that? More borrowing?

Or as McDonnell put it this morning "it pays for itself", and if you believe that it is that simple then you will believe anything.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

So the big announcement is basically they are going to match the Tories plus a little bit? Or is this £10 for even 16 year olds (which is a brilliant way to make sure 16-24 year olds are extremely unattractive to employ).
    Tories backtracking £9 is now £8.70 isn't it.

plus a little bit?£10 is an extra £1.30 an hour = £2704 a year extra for poor workers.
    No it isn't, because you would be paying more tax and start to affect various benefits.
  • Options
    glw said:

Or as McDonnell put it this morning "it pays for itself", and if you believe that it is that simple then you will believe anything.
    Clever though. McD is not stupid. Low wage voters will be tempted. And anyway, why should tax payer subside low wage employers via tax credits/UC. Osborne was on the right track.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Dromedary said:

Miss Plato, point of order: science is great. Scientists, however, are only human. Some make mistakes, and some are rapscallions.

As ever, go with the evidence not the people.
    Who decides what research gets done and what spin is put on it, with a view to doing what research in future? "Evidence" or people who give out or get big-money grants?

There used to be ice fairs on the Thames, until the climate warmed up so much that they couldn't be held any more. That was before industry. The climate has always changed and it always will. It's natural for it to change. The bought-and-paid-for "knowledgists", or "scientists" to use the Latinate term, haven't got much of a clue why. As for stopping the climate changing, if that isn't an insane anti-nature aim (for some clothed apes with their necks wound right out) then I don't know what is.
    Obligatory xkcd
    https://xkcd.com/1732/
    Indeed. You might just as well dismiss a housefire with the assertion, "Yes, the temperature in the lounge always changes. It was much warmer last summer than it is now."
    Inconvenient evidence...
    http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/summary-info/global/201608
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Our infrastructure is second rate. Housing, broad band, roads, power, airports, the things that make life easier and more efficient.

I think I would agree with that Mr. Brooke, and having driven up to Leeds and back this last weekend it would seem that at least on the motorway network serious money is now being invested.
    I live between J30 and 31, and can';t work out quite what has been done on the motorway. There seem to have been speed restrictions for ages and a large purple pipe has been put down the middle of the carriageways...
    Purple twin wall duct is used for traffic signal or street lighting cables. A 50m roll is about £90.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    Hilary could finish tonight's debate doing this to The Donald!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKFIHRpe7I
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Real line from McDonnell speech: "In the birthplace of John Lennon, it falls to us to inspire people to imagine." Has he hired David Brent?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

taffys said:

If Labour is truly in the meltdown phase that is being suggested on here, then the tactic of giving such a party a free hand in Batley and Spen is surely open to very serious question.

Yes, but it's politically bloody difficult for the Cons or LDs to change their mind about not standing now, given the circumstances.

Must be a good opportunity for UKIP to pick up a seat, if supporters of the blues make an effort to get behind them.
    Are UKIP standing ?
    Mmm, it appears that the UKIP candidate is standing as an independent. So no real competition for Labour.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batley_and_Spen_by-election,_2016

I understand why the other parties said what they did in the heat of the battle in June, but it's looking a little silly now to give Corbyn a free pass.
    Had it not been for a murder it would have been in the red column until 2020 anyway. While MPs are individuals the idea we can change Parliamentary arithmetic by bombs and bullets always seems wrong to me.
    Yes, it's a terribly difficult call to make, and I think it was the PM that led the decisions. On balance, probably the right call, given everything that was happening at the time.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BethRigby: Tax; McDonnell says he'll shift tax burden from those who earn salaries "to those who hold wealth" > you listening middle England? #lab16
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Clever though. McD is not stupid. Low wage voters will be tempted. And anyway, why should tax payer subside low wage employers via tax credits/UC. Osborne was on the right track.

I'm not against raising the minimum wage, I don't think that governments should in effect subsidise labour. It's the £350 billion "investment" that concerns me. If it was half as easy as McDonnell seems to think we would have done it years ago.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

glw said:

Unfortunately, there is a threshold over which labour becomes unproductive compared to either machinery or export of the work itself to a lower wage economy.

Unless we are going to raise large tariff barriers in the post brexit world, raising incomes via the use of minimum wage increases will get to a point where it becomes more expensive because low paid, low skilled jobs will actually disappear.

While that argument didn't gain traction over the original introduction of Min Wage in the 90's, that was before mass immigration and the main impact of 'China Pricing' which is now India Pricing and spreading.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BethRigby: Tax; McDonnell says he'll shift tax burden from those who earn salaries "to those who hold wealth" > you listening middle England? #lab16

Don't worry Beth, the Daily Mail wont let anyone be unaware of the wealth grab.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Scott_P said:

Given that most of the super-rich have made much more from asset price appreciation than from taxable income these last ten years, he may well have a point.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Purple twin wall duct is used for traffic signal or street lighting cables. A 50m roll is about £90.
    £90 per 50 metres? Crikey the company that makes it must be coining it in. There are miles and miles of it being laid up the M1as well as other motorways (e.g. M3).

I wonder if anyone thought to chuck some fibre optic down the same conduits whilst they were laying the signalling cables.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    Depends how many more you have on the rock n roll....
    Yes, but these things can be modelled. It was said the original mini wage would be a disaster for employment, but it wasn't.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

glw said:

glw said:

How could he be on the right track ?

Osborne supported unrestricted immigration which is one of the prime causes of lower wages. Basic supply and demand.

To subsequently then issue a decree that wages should rise - because voters need bribing - is as soviet in spirit as McDonnell.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Given that most of the super-rich have made much more from asset price appreciation than from taxable income these last ten years, he may well have a point.''

I think what McDonnell means is anyone who has the temerity to own a house.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2016
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Given that most of the super-rich have made much more from asset price appreciation than from taxable income these last ten years, he may well have a point.
    But it's never the "super rich" that are targeted, is it. Too small and mobile a pool to fish in. It's the broader middle class, the small business owners, the home owners, and the savers.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Wealth like houses, savings , cars and pension funds ?

Right oh.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

glw said:

You can turn the question around. Why should the government dump its welfare responsibility onto employers, who are doing a public good, even if it's a self-interested one?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

No doubt the super rich could be taken for more. Land Tax would be interesting.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

But it's never the "super rich" that are targeted, is it. Too small and mobile a pool to fish in. It's the broader middle class, the small business owners, the home owners, and the savers.
    Besides he doesn't want to target his support base...all those multi-millionaire property owning Maomentumers...
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Anorak said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

It is sometimes. Scott Adams is moaning about a proposed (by Hillary) supertax on those north of $500 m. World's smallest violin.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Let's play a drinking game. Every time Donald says "Make America great again" in tonight's debate we take a sip......
  • Options
    nunu said:

Let's play a drinking game. Every time Donald says "Make America great again" in tonight's debate we take a sip......

LOL, that would be a very intoxicating evening. Great idea for a spread bet though!
  • Options
    nunu said:

Oblivion awaits.
  • Options
    I think @rcs1000 has bought up a wealth tax here before.

The principle is that it encourages you to have your equity into productive assets...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Hmmm. On what basis would it be levelled?
  • Options

nunu said:

Oblivion awaits.
    Oblivion awaits, believe me.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Given that most of the super-rich have made much more from asset price appreciation than from taxable income these last ten years, he may well have a point.''

I think what McDonnell means is anyone who has the temerity to own a house.

Does he plan to make Islington except from these taxes, or does he assume that the turkeys there will vote for Christmas anyway?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think @rcs1000 has bought up a wealth tax here before.

The principle is that it encourages you to have your equity into productive assets...

I think that Robert's version would be if the wealth taxes *replace* income and employment taxes. Not sure that's McDonnell's intention though!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

Had income tax not been invented, you would say the same about taking a slice of the money people have just earned, before they get it. Or adding a premium to almost everything you have to buy.

If we were starting from scratch and needing to raise the money to pay for public services, taxing wealth rather than income has a lot of potential advantages, particularly the greater difficulty of evasion and greater scope for fairness. The problem you have to overcome is people with non-disposable wealth but little income.
  • Options
    This habit of the BBC in repeating bits of something they have only just shown in full is becoming annoying.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

Had income tax not been invented, you would say the same about taking a slice of the money people have just earned, before they get it. Or adding a premium to almost everything you have to buy.

If we were starting from scratch and needing to raise the money to pay for public services, taxing wealth rather than income has a lot of potential advantages, particularly the greater difficulty of evasion and greater scope for fairness. The problem you have to overcome is people with non-disposable wealth but little income.
    "fairness" - means taxing earned income when you earn it , then annually forever if you have the temerity not to spend it ?

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited September 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    I would. £12/h, universal childcare. No in working benefits of any kind. Transferrable tax allowances for one working parent families (in lieu of childcare). Completely eliminate housing benefits and all tax credits over a set period of time. Shift the burden of living costs from the tax payer to companies. The loss of corporation tax income and some income tax from lower jobs growth would be more than made up for with savings from our bloated welfare system.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

£90 per 50 metres? Crikey the company that makes it must be coining it in. There are miles and miles of it being laid up the M1as well as other motorways (e.g. M3).

I wonder if anyone thought to chuck some fibre optic down the same conduits whilst they were laying the signalling cables.
    You don't want to look at the cost of the larger diameter twin wall ducts or the angled bends for it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dromedary said:

Miss Plato, point of order: science is great. Scientists, however, are only human. Some make mistakes, and some are rapscallions.

Who decides what research gets done and what spin is put on it, with a view to doing what research in future? "Evidence" or people who give out or get big-money grants?

There used to be ice fairs on the Thames, until the climate warmed up so much that they couldn't be held any more. That was before industry. The climate has always changed and it always will. It's natural for it to change. The bought-and-paid-for "knowledgists", or "scientists" to use the Latinate term, haven't got much of a clue why. As for stopping the climate changing, if that isn't an insane anti-nature aim (for some clothed apes with their necks wound right out) then I don't know what is.
    Obligatory xkcd
    Indeed. You might just as well dismiss a housefire with the assertion, "Yes, the temperature in the lounge always changes. It was much warmer last summer than it is now."
    Inconvenient evidence...
    If that is true, then that does not mean that any human action hasnecessarily caused it. Also we cannot practically do anything about it as evidenced by Germany, China and Japan building coal power stations as fast as they can.

So instead of the UK adopting hairshirt measures that just make our industry more uncompetitive to make lefties and greenies feel smug we should accept that it is happening for whatever reason and plan mitigating things like flood defences, storm drains etc. Being a bunch of silly cnuts wont help anyone.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

I don't know any details. I know Liberals used to talk about it.

There is a campaign: http://www.landvaluetax.org/what-is-lvt/
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    IanB2 said:

The problem you have to overcome is people with non-disposable wealth but little income.

Remortgage 60% of the LTV of the house, put into a gov't backed fund that builds houses yielding 4% P.A. or so.
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 3m3 minutes ago
    Copies of McDonnell's speech being sold for £2 outside the hall.
  • Options

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 3m3 minutes ago
    Copies of McDonnell's speech being sold for £2 outside the hall.

Thats £4 towards printing costs then!!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

And very popular - especially among the young. I remember how popular Leninspart and co were at the GLC - anyone thinking this lot cannot win an election in the next 15 years is deluded.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    I would. £12/h, universal childcare. No in working benefits of any kind. Transferrable tax allowances for one working parent families (in lieu of childcare). Completely eliminate housing benefits and all tax credits over a set period of time. Shift the burden of living costs from the tax payer to companies. The loss of corporation tax income and some income tax from lower jobs growth would be more than made up for with savings from our bloated welfare system.
    One problem is £12/hr (no in works benefits of any sort) in some parts of the country is fine, in London is that enough? But then if you made it say £15/hr in London, could many shops afford to pay that on top of massive rents?

I think you would probably also have to have a massive rejig of the tax system as well. Combine IC / NI and then no tax below a higher threshold.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    This is quality entertainment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/26/jeremy-corbyns-supporters-have-been-writing-poems-about-him-and/

"One poem, by a contributor named Helen Kidd, was entitled TELL ME LIES ABOUT THE AUSTERITY PLAN, and appeared to be inspired partly by the Hokey Cokey.

“You put your ballot paper in,” concluded the final stanza grimly. “You take your new membership right out/ You take an honest leader, and try to shake him all about.”"
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    One problem is £12/hr (no in works benefits of any sort) in some parts of the country is fine, in London is that enough? But then if you made it say £15/hr in London, could many shops afford to pay that on top of massive rents?
    Then let the market decide in London, if £12/h isn't enough then either people will leave or pay will go up.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2016
    IanB2 said:

This habit of the BBC in repeating bits of something they have only just shown in full is becoming annoying.

They've been doing that for about 15 years since BBC News 24 started. I agree it's very irritating.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    The massive state subsidies that go towards housing in London just exacerbate the problem. Rents and house prices will fall if they were to be removed, as market forces take over.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

"fairness" - means taxing earned income when you earn it , then annually forever if you have the temerity not to spend it ?

No, fairness means things like being able to tax wealth accumulated through crime or the black economy, as well as through legitimate means.

It is interesting - just for the purposes of debate - to consider an economy where income wasn't taxed at all, but the same amount was levied in some way from wealth, land, property and savings (exempting pensions, up to a limit, for the same reason that it has income tax exemptions now). The savings in administration alone could be considerable.
  • Options
    Deutsche Bank looks to me to be in the shit. This has been simmering for a long time but is, perhaps, coming to the boil. I don't think there is any question of it being allowed to fail but the political ramifications of the German government bailing it out might be interesting.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    The massive state subsidies that go towards housing in London just exacerbate the problem. Rents and house prices will fall if they were to be removed, as market forces take over.
    Yes, forgot to add, rents and house prices will also fall.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930

Pulpstar said:

That section is being converted to a "Smart Motorway". Someone will know exactly what that means, but as far as I can gather from sections that have already been converted there will be variable speed limits and the hard shoulder can be switched to an additional lane when the level of traffic builds up.

The big purple pipe running along the top of the central reservation I can't help you with. I think it might be just a conduit for the wires needed to carry the signals to the giant signs telling drivers to use/not use the hard shoulder.
    Whoever is making and selling the purple pipe must be making a fortune.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.
    Then let the market decide in London, if £12/h isn't enough then either people will leave or pay will go up.
    One of the reforms that would really help low waged people that Osborne bottled, rejig NI/IC. It is stupid that somebody on £9k a year doesn't pay IC, but pays NI. Then we give some of them "tax credits" on no tax paid...and also people on say £12k, we take tax and then give it back as "tax credits".

The whole system (in particular Brown's tax credits) is just bonkers.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

Magic money sequoia.

I think you would probably also have to have a massive rejig of the tax system as well. Combine IC / NI and then no tax below a higher threshold.
    The core problem is the massive rents. Ie those syphoning off huge sums without working for the money just because they own overpriced property or land.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    TonyE said:

Unfortunately, there is a threshold over which labour becomes unproductive compared to either machinery or export of the work itself to a lower wage economy.

Unfortunately, there is a threshold over which voting Labour becomes unproductive compared to voting for almost any other party. That threshold is owning a property. Aspiring to own a property. Owning a business. Aspiring to own a business. Earning more than the minimum wage. Aspiring to earn more than the minimum wage....

• Options
    IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

No, fairness means things like being able to tax wealth accumulated through crime or the black economy, as well as through legitimate means.

It is interesting - just for the purposes of debate - to consider an economy where income wasn't taxed at all, but the same amount was levied in some way from wealth, land, property and savings (exempting pensions, up to a limit, for the same reason that it has income tax exemptions now). The savings in administration alone could be considerable.
    Not clear how this is fair or less administration - will there be a legion of mattress snoopers who will go in an look for hidden stores of wealth like gold/jewellery ?
  • Options
    slade said:

Pulpstar said:

Whoever chose the colour must be a UKIP mole.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    BBC News appeared to show Corbyn running away from one of their journalists. He spotted cameras and fled in the opposite direction.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    dr_spyn said:

BBC News appeared to show Corbyn running away from one of their journalists. He spotted cameras and fled in the opposite direction.

He only gives interviews to the Morning Star and Press TV. Everybody else including the BBC, Guardian and Mirror are just filth out to get him.

Sky caught him on camera a few months ago doing the same. Who are you, we are from Sky, grrrrh runs off.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Deutsche Bank looks to me to be in the shit. This has been simmering for a long time but is, perhaps, coming to the boil.

Your use of imagery may preclude you from becoming a Bake Off host.

Depending upon how desperate Channel 4 becomes.
  • Options

Deutsche Bank looks to me to be in the shit. This has been simmering for a long time but is, perhaps, coming to the boil. I don't think there is any question of it being allowed to fail but the political ramifications of the German government bailing it out might be interesting.

Has Brexit been blamed yet ?
  • Options
    Re: The Michael Deacon Corbyn sniffing article got pulled last night.

Original link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/25/jeremy-corbyn-has-an-odd-little-habit-and-it-says-a-lot-about-hi/

Google cache & wayback just have the 404 page.

There is a bootleg copy on: http://news.anotao.com/link/gb/20160901138284/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/25/jeremy-corbyn-has-an-odd-little-habit-and-it-says-a-lot-about-hi/ which has the text as i remember reading yesterday.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited September 2016
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

Some of those owning large houses may be pensioners and widows who do not have a vast annual income, their needs to be a better balance between the two not a complete shift from one to the other
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

It's supposed to be levelled on the potential value of the land. If you have an acre of land near a city with planning permission next to another acre which has already been built on, each of those acres would attract the same level of tax. An acre of high moorland would obviously be taxed at a lower rate.

The argument for LVT is that it avoids the perverse incentives of other taxes: income tax discourages work; VAT discourages trade; rates discourage land development. It's seems like a very good idea, which raises the question why practically no-one in the world has implemented the scheme. The problem is that it goes against powerful interests that are very vested in land.

In my view it's a substitute for the full nationalisation of land, which philosophically has a lot going for it.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

Not clear how this is fair or less administration - will there be a legion of mattress snoopers who will go in an look for hidden stores of wealth like gold/jewellery ?
    It's just a straw person - I'm not a tax expert but it does seem to me that the current arrangements have a lot of flaws and weaknesses, and the amount of both public and private money (accountants etc) spent trying to tax income - which is both something we want to encourage and which is exceptionally hard to pin down - is massive.

To keep things easy such a new system would have to focus on the principal reserves of wealth - land, property, investments and savings. Whether the gold issue could be dealt with by some sort of one-off tax when it is purchased, like VAT, I don't know. We only capture a proportion (estimated at below 80% in most countries) of income now, so any proposed alternative doesn't have to achieve perfection to be better.
  • Options

slade said:

Pulpstar said:

Whoever chose the colour must be a UKIP mole.
    You can get it in black, blue, yellow and orange. It's used to mark different services.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Nigelb said:

Dromedary said:

Obligatory xkcd
    Inconvenient evidence...
    If that is true, then that does not mean that any human action hasnecessarily caused it. Also we cannot practically do anything about it as evidenced by Germany, China and Japan building coal power stations as fast as they can.

So instead of the UK adopting hairshirt measures that just make our industry more uncompetitive to make lefties and greenies feel smug we should accept that it is happening for whatever reason and plan mitigating things like flood defences, storm drains etc. Being a bunch of silly cnuts wont help anyone.
    "as fast as they can"... inaccurate in China's case:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/26/business/energy-environment/china-coal.html?_r=0

"that does not mean that any human action has necessarily caused it"
    Maybe, but human action certainly caused the increase in atmospheric CO2. Even were the likelihood of global warming 'alarmists' being correct as low as 10%, a expensive precautions would be sensible. As it is, developing alternatives to fossil fuels is entirely sensible whatever the climate.

Being a fan of coal is idiotic.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Re: The Michael Deacon Corbyn sniffing article got pulled last night.

Original link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/25/jeremy-corbyn-has-an-odd-little-habit-and-it-says-a-lot-about-hi/

Google cache & wayback just have the 404 page.

There is a bootleg copy on: http://news.anotao.com/link/gb/20160901138284/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/25/jeremy-corbyn-has-an-odd-little-habit-and-it-says-a-lot-about-hi/ which has the text as i remember reading yesterday.

Tweet it and I'll RT it
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

It's just a straw person - I'm not a tax expert but it does seem to me that the current arrangements have a lot of flaws and weaknesses, and the amount of both public and private money (accountants etc) spent trying to tax income - which is both something we want to encourage and which is exceptionally hard to pin down - is massive.

To keep things easy such a new system would have to focus on the principal reserves of wealth - land, property, investments and savings. Whether the gold issue could be dealt with by some sort of one-off tax when it is purchased, like VAT, I don't know. We only capture a proportion (estimated at below 80% in most countries) of income now, so any proposed alternative doesn't have to achieve perfection to be better.
    I'm British. I own gold in Zurich. Would Labour tax me on that? If so then I would be taxed for being British - and that means extra-territoriality. What about Brits overseas who have assets overseas?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

I would hone your policy around land as it's the only thing that can't be moved easily. Cars possibly but expensive ones aren't always driven on the road.
  • Options

TonyE said:

Unfortunately, there is a threshold over which voting Labour becomes unproductive compared to voting for almost any other party. That threshold is owning a property. Aspiring to own a property. Owning a business. Aspiring to own a business. Earning more than the minimum wage. Aspiring to earn more than the minimum wage....

Indeed and increasingly virtually anyone under 40 is locked out of all these aspirations by the ratio of asset prices to wages being totally disproportionate.

Hence the rise of the Corbynistas.

By stating that wealth (ie asset ownership) should be more heavily taxed and wages less taxed McDonnell is hitting the nail on the head.

If I work I pay 32% income tax on my earnings (20% + 12% NI)

If I am rolling in it and own vast quantities of shares, living of the dividends, I pay 10% income tax and no NI - 70% less tax.

That is an injustice.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

In my view it's a substitute for the full nationalisation of land, which philosophically has a lot going for it.

The 'nation estate' might be the future. It also has the virtue of clarifying what the role of a country is in a world of pooled sovereignty.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Labour's fracking flip-flop upsets GMB union: were in favour a month ago, now against.
    http://order-order.com/2016/09/26/labours-fracking-flip-flop/
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Silence please. The Colonel is on R4.
  • Options
    Interesting piece on how the media haven't been able to cope with Trump (or indeed the rejection of the "establishment" by a large chunk of the Republican party): http://pressthink.org/2016/09/asymmetry-between-the-major-parties-fries-the-circuits-of-the-mainstream-press/

In Labour Leader news, today I have been backing Cat Smith at 400/1+. It's staggering how many of the Shadow Cabinet aren't even quoted on Betfair yet!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

Some of those owning large houses may be pensioners and widows who do not have a vast annual income, their needs to be a better balance between the two not a complete shift from one to the other
    Then sell up buy somewhere smaller and make room for a family. If you dont want to then pay the tax and stop moaning.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pulpstar said:

"Smart Motorways" mean that it will be an average speed check for the entire length of that part!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2016

If I am rolling in it and own vast quantities of shares, living of the dividends, I pay 10% income tax and no NI - 70% less tax.

That is an injustice.

Err, I think your knowledge of the taxation of dividends is, how shall I put this politely, incomplete.

(You have a good point on National Insurance, however).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dromedary said:

Obligatory xkcd
    Inconvenient evidence...

If the Earth's temperature is rising, then the Earth must be receiving more energy from the sun than it is emitting. Given that the variations in the sun's output are tiny and the Earth's orbit hasn't changed, the only possible explanation for the Earth's rising temperature is a reduction in the radiation emitted from the Earth. And the only plausible reason for this is the insulating effect of the large amounts of greenhouse gases that humans have added to the atmosphere over the past couple of centuries

There is virtually no doubt that human greenhouse gas emissions are responsible for the currently measured warming. You'd have to be a really silly cnut to deny this.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

Then sell up buy somewhere smaller and make room for a family. If you dont want to then pay the tax and stop moaning.
    Loads of oldies with big houses would love to sell and downscale but the tax can be penal. Abolish stamp duty and what you say makes some sense.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Patrick said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Right oh.

Loads of oldies with big houses would love to sell and downscale but the tax can be penal. Abolish stamp duty and what you say makes some sense.
    A return to positive real interest rates would help everyone too.

*Yes I include borrowers, as asset prices could drop.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

TonyE said:

Indeed and increasingly virtually anyone under 40 is locked out of all these aspirations by the ratio of asset prices to wages being totally disproportionate.

Hence the rise of the Corbynistas.

By stating that wealth (ie asset ownership) should be more heavily taxed and wages less taxed McDonnell is hitting the nail on the head.

If I work I pay 32% income tax on my earnings (20% + 12% NI)

That is an injustice.
    You're wrong on dividends. GO changed the way it is taxed entirely and abolished the tax credit too.

And the whole point of dividends is to encourage the investment of capital in worthwhile enterprise.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Dromedary said:

Obligatory xkcd
    Inconvenient evidence...

If the Earth's temperature is rising, then the Earth must be receiving more energy from the sun than it is emitting. Given that the variations in the sun's output are tiny and the Earth's orbit hasn't changed, the only possible explanation for the Earth's rising temperature is a reduction in the radiation emitted from the Earth. And the only plausible reason for this is the insulating effect of the large amounts of greenhouse gases that humans have added to the atmosphere over the past couple of centuries

There is virtually no doubt that human greenhouse gas emissions are responsible for the currently measured warming. You'd have to be a really silly cnut to deny this.
    Carbon dioxide is a trace element that comprises a tiny fraction of 1% of the composition of the atmosphere.

Anything going on on the sun electromagnetically that influences cosmic rays and/or cloud formation would have much more effect but as yet little is known and even less fully understood about this.
This discussion has been closed.