Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB LAB leadership Election Prediction Competition Winne

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    surbiton said:

Speedy said:

MikeK said:
    I have mentioned Malmo many times over the years.
    It's like a typical middle eastern city now, complete with a low level civil war, but much colder than Baghdad.

It's a model for what I'm afraid of with unrestricted immigration, that all those first generation immigrants simply move their national and social problems with them.

In the case of Malmo the civil wars of the middle east have moved to Sweden along with the middle eastern immigrants.
    What about Kebabs ? Surely, a good place for it. I must go there.
    True, the food is better, but I'm still allergic to bullets.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

A lot of Americans are expecting the American economy to collapse tomorrow and the dollar's value to fall to 0.

When Deutsche Bank Go Under they may be right.
    Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

No-one understands Trotskyite splinter factions better than John Loony

Truer words never spoken.
    Before he moved to the Tories, via the Official Loonies he was a member of one of the 6 British Communist parties. I forget which one, but he understands the nuances behind them.

I think it quite possible that the factionalism of the Trots will prove to be their achillies heel, in the battle for Labour.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Colorado getting close !

That's been the surprise of the last few days.

However I'm confident in my average tracking poll which shows that Hillary is back at her highest lead since Aug. 28th.

Don't forget my average tracking poll has always been ahead of the curve by about a week or two.
    It was the first to warn PB about the Trump recovery, the Trump stall, and the momentary tie.
    Then start a website. You could cash in afterwards.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

kle4 said:

Before he moved to the Tories, via the Official Loonies he was a member of one of the 6 British Communist parties. I forget which one, but he understands the nuances behind them.

I think it quite possible that the factionalism of the Trots will prove to be their achillies heel, in the battle for Labour.
    An interesting political journey for him: from one unofficial loony party to another unofficial loony party via the official Loony Party, with a sideline of expert analysis on another unofficial loony party of which he is yet to become a member.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Are there any polls by gender and / or ethnic background ? Because it was said confidently that because of the Black, Hispanic and Women's vote, Trump would have to win almost 70% of the White male votes. Clearly that is not possible.

So, some Afro-Americans, Hispanics and Women must have moved towards Trump.

I think it's entirely possible that 70% of non-Hispanic White men will vote for Trump.
    That would be astonishing.
    that seems high to me; i suspect he'll end up in the mid-60s, not least because quite a few white men will vote Johnson
    The debate is going to put the squeeze on the 3rd party candidates though.

I was reading a piece that said in 2012 the Romney poll surge after the first debate didn't panic the Obama campaign at all because their voter models had identified 'undecideds' who were nothing of the sort and were always going to vote Republican or Democrat come the day - the first debate just gave the Republican version the nudge to make them identify as going to vote Republican.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

weejonnie said:

A lot of Americans are expecting the American economy to collapse tomorrow and the dollar's value to fall to 0.

When Deutsche Bank Go Under they may be right.
    Quite the opposite.
    Contagion! (Another n-state set of polls on 538, totally at odds with the last lot!)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    weejonnie said:
    I enjoyed "this book gave me cancer" and "I learned in chapter 8 that crossing the Clintons is the fourth leading cause of death in America".
  • Options
    Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Colorado getting close !

However I'm confident in my average tracking poll which shows that Hillary is back at her highest lead since Aug. 28th.

Don't forget my average tracking poll has always been ahead of the curve by about a week or two.
    It was the first to warn PB about the Trump recovery, the Trump stall, and the momentary tie.
    Hard to see much value in the betting on Hillary though. Not tempting.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Speedy said:

MikeK said:
    It's like a typical middle eastern city now, complete with a low level civil war, but much colder than Baghdad.

It's a model for what I'm afraid of with unrestricted immigration, that all those first generation immigrants simply move their national and social problems with them.

In the case of Malmo the civil wars of the middle east have moved to Sweden along with the middle eastern immigrants.
    Proponents of mass immigration would view that as a positive thing.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Speedy said:

MikeK said:

Agreed. But the Liberal elite need a new base of people to protect them in voting terms. The elite are a disgrace. When the effects of immigration are discsused, racism comes up. Brexit is the best answer, and essentially, if you don't like our values,don't come. Sweden's elite, liek Germany's are fools. They culture is being killed.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Colorado getting close !

Unlike a referendum, however, the popular vote is not everything. If Clinton is piling up votes in California/ New York they aren't doing her any good whatsoever. We all know how the Labour vote is much more efficiently spread than the Conservative, the same could be happening across the pond.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Are there any polls by gender and / or ethnic background ? Because it was said confidently that because of the Black, Hispanic and Women's vote, Trump would have to win almost 70% of the White male votes. Clearly that is not possible.

So, some Afro-Americans, Hispanics and Women must have moved towards Trump.

I think it's entirely possible that 70% of non-Hispanic White men will vote for Trump.
    He only has 76% of non-college white males, so I'd suggest that him carrying all white

Anyone got news from the Witney by-election?

Candidates are:

Conservative: Robert Courts
    Labour: Duncan Enright
    UKIP: Dickie Bird
    Green Party: Larry Sanders
    English Democrats: Winston McKenzie
    Liberal Democrats: Liz Leffman
    Emilio Rose Arno - One Love Party
    David Laurence Bishop - Bus-pass Elvis Party
    Mad Hatter - Monster Raving Loony Party
    Lord Toby Jug - Eccentric Party of Great Britain
    Adam Digby Knight - Independent
    Helen Rachel Salisbury - National Health Action Party
    Daniel James Skidmore - Independent
    Nicholas Ward - Independent

No Women's Equality party? Shocking dereliction.
    Dickie Bird standing for UKIP? I'm surprised Jack Russell didn't fancy standing for the WEP
    To win, I think Trump needs to win c. 62% of the non-Hispanic White vote, which could then break 70% male, 54% female. He's about 2% short at the moment.
    Repubs got 59% white vote with the electorate being 72% non hispanic white in 2012.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

weejonnie said:
    I enjoyed "this book gave me cancer" and "I learned in chapter 8 that crossing the Clintons is the fourth leading cause of death in America".
    Stronger Together!! Much prefer Vote Trump, take back control
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Dixie said:

Speedy said:

MikeK said:

Agreed. But the Liberal elite need a new base of people to protect them in voting terms. The elite are a disgrace. When the effects of immigration are discsused, racism comes up. Brexit is the best answer, and essentially, if you don't like our values,don't come. Sweden's elite, liek Germany's are fools. They culture is being killed.
    I think that some of Sweden's leaders actively hate their own people.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

kle4 said:

Maybe. A different country, sure, but Syriza brought together more than a dozen parties into one, and has only suffered a few splits since.
    MTimT said:

Mr. T, almost as horrendous as 'very unique'.

Indeed. Even after 25 years I am still learning new differences between US and British English. The frown discussion from last week was entirely new to me. And to my American wife (from the other side of the debate), despite her having lived in the UK and Europe as a kid. I was unaware that to Americans a frown was to do with the mouth, and she was unaware to the Brits it was about the eyebrows.
    Never heard that one before. How peculiar. I suppose it makes sense, 'turn that frown upside down' doesn't really work unless it is primarily about the mouth.

• Options

MikeK said:
    It was yesterday. Suspected gang land shooting and wasn't a bomb, it was first reported as an explosion, which turned out to be fireworks. None of which is unusual for Malmo, it is a shithole with lots of violent crime and has also had a lot of recent arson attacks.

Also shooting in Texas this morning. A Lawyer went loco and fired off 100 rounds.
    Malmö is a beautiful city. What are you smöking?

• Options
    I'll take 14th, plus the £40 or something I'm up (and a live next leader set up).

With respect to tc I'm not sure Owen by 20 points put them 23rd!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @gabyhinsliff: Fascinating: leader wins thumping new mandate, immediately forced into messy compromise that the people who gave that mandate won't like twitter.com/guardiannews/s…
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Dixie said:

Speedy said:

MikeK said:

I think that some of Sweden's leaders actively hate their one people.
    I agree. And in this country, Clegg, Straw, Blair, Brown - they hate the English..."a race not worth saving." Utter C*&ts. Go around the world, and the world love the decency, civility, honesty of the Brits. Our elite want troglodytes only, and they only come from developing countries, to vote them in as a small elite. Disgrace.
  • Options

MikeK said:
    It was yesterday. Suspected gang land shooting and wasn't a bomb, it was first reported as an explosion, which turned out to be fireworks. None of which is unusual for Malmo, it is a shithole with lots of violent crime and has also had a lot of recent arson attacks.

Also shooting in Texas this morning. A Lawyer went loco and fired off 100 rounds.

If you've watched The Bridge, you can normally tell where the location scenes were filmed based on how salubrious the area looks. Bleak and depressing = Malmo, cosmopolitan and affluent = Copenhagen.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He's learning I see. He's won the war, he can afford to let them have this battle.
  • Options

MikeK said:

If you've watched The Bridge, you can normally tell where the location scenes were filmed based on how salubrious the area looks. Bleak and depressing = Malmo, cosmopolitan and affluent = Copenhagen.
    Been there quite a few times. Gorgeous.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    He's learning I see. He's won the war, he can afford to let them have this battle.
    By them, do you mean the unions or the moderates?
  • Options
    Looks like we might need a new England manager
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

I have never understood why the Clinton campaign do not raise Trump's Chapter 11 episodes more often. He has painted himself as the great American capitalist. On many occasions , at the cost of small creditors.

You are showing your Britishness by that query. In the US, the sin is not to fail but not to try. And history is for the birds, it is where you are now.

Here is a quote from a book from one of the new breed of business gurus in the US, Seth Godin.

'The secret of being wrong isn't to avoid being wrong. The secret is being willing to be wrong. The secret is realizing that wrong isn't fatal. The only thing that makes people and organizations great is their willingness to be not great along the way. The desire to fail on the way to reaching a bigger goal is the untold secret of success.'

This, more than anything else, is what I think separates ordinary Americans from ordinary Brits.
    No it doesn't. At least, not any more. Millennial Brits might be wanky, but they are more than keen to test themselves. My generation was more cynical and fatalist, and - I would say - more fun and more drunk. But the new Brits are full of ideas and ambition. it's the Pop-Up Generation. Let's open an artisanal whelk stall right here!

They are the true heirs of Thatcher.
    Fair enough. I haven't lived in the UK since 1999, and have only lived there for 4 years in the last in the last 34 years. But Surbiton, to whom I was responding, sounded very much like Brits did back in the 70s.
  • Options

This is the story

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/780511817948884992
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    By them, do you mean the unions or the moderates?
    Ah, I had forgotten about the unions. Even less trouble for him to concede to the moderates then.
  • Options

This is the story

you are slowing down old man.....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2016

This is the story

Panorama Special from a 10 years ago....Don't the FA do any vetting?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

Indeed. Even after 25 years I am still learning new differences between US and British English. The frown discussion from last week was entirely new to me. And to my American wife (from the other side of the debate), despite her having lived in the UK and Europe as a kid. I was unaware that to Americans a frown was to do with the mouth, and she was unaware to the Brits it was about the eyebrows.
    You should come home

Indeed, maybe I should. My sis has just moved to Cambourne/Redruth. I need to visit. And the wife and I keep promising to spend an anniversary at the scene of the crime/wedding in St. Just in Roseland/St. Mawes.
  • Options

This is the story

If Sam has to go, then given my performance in the fantasy football, I should be the new England manager
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Colorado getting close !

Unlike a referendum, however, the popular vote is not everything. If Clinton is piling up votes in California/ New York they aren't doing her any good whatsoever. We all know how the Labour vote is much more efficiently spread than the Conservative, the same could be happening across the pond.
    Universal National Swing is durable as a measure because it is reliable.

Clinton will not be piling up votes in California and not Arizona, not in New York without also Pennsylvania.
  • Options

This is the story

If Sam has to go, then given my performance in the fantasy football, I should be the new England manager
    how is it going? I tend to barely look at it until xmas day.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

You should come home

Indeed, maybe I should. My sis has just moved to Cambourne/Redruth. I need to visit. And the wife and I keep promising to spend an anniversary at the scene of the crime/wedding in St. Just in Roseland/St. Mawes.
    In the end, everyone comes home?

I know, with a kind of dreadful inevitability, that I will probably spend my twilight days in Cornwall. Looking at the oakwoods over the water in Restronguet.

There are much worse fates.
    There's a rumour you're really from Devon.
  • Options
    Fascinating to see how much of a preview Matt gets of Telegraph editorial decisions.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    "So what you want is to own the agent"....

or just keep it in the family?
  • Options
    expenses all over again...

The Telegraph began investigating corruption in English football last year after receiving information that specific managers, officials and agents were giving or receiving cash payments to secure player transfers. 
    Over the coming days, the Telegraph will detail a series of allegations of  financial impropriety in British football which raise serious questions about the governance and influence of money within the game.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Colorado getting close !

Universal National Swing is durable as a measure because it is reliable.

Clinton will not be piling up votes in California and not Arizona, not in New York without also Pennsylvania.
    Pretty close. There's evidence that Trump is doing better than Romney in getting votes where he needs them, but he's still a nose behind.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

I have never understood why the Clinton campaign do not raise Trump's Chapter 11 episodes more often. He has painted himself as the great American capitalist. On many occasions , at the cost of small creditors.

You are showing your Britishness by that query. In the US, the sin is not to fail but not to try. And history is for the birds, it is where you are now.

Here is a quote from a book from one of the new breed of business gurus in the US, Seth Godin.

'The secret of being wrong isn't to avoid being wrong. The secret is being willing to be wrong. The secret is realizing that wrong isn't fatal. The only thing that makes people and organizations great is their willingness to be not great along the way. The desire to fail on the way to reaching a bigger goal is the untold secret of success.'

This, more than anything else, is what I think separates ordinary Americans from ordinary Brits.
    No it doesn't. At least, not any more. Millennial Brits might be wanky, but they are more than keen to test themselves. My generation was more cynical and fatalist, and - I would say - more fun and more drunk. But the new Brits are full of ideas and ambition. it's the Pop-Up Generation. Let's open an artisanal whelk stall right here!

But sadly (as you hint) the ideas and ambition are all to have the next trendy niche leisure service. I see few ICI's around the corner.
  • Options
    The Telegraph began investigating corruption in English football last year after receiving information that specific managers, officials and agents were giving or receiving cash payments to secure player transfers.

Over the coming days, the Telegraph will detail a series of allegations of financial impropriety in British football which raise serious questions about the governance and influence of money within the game.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

My god, McDonnell's speech is ghastly.

If enacted, it would destroy Britain.

Corbyn + McDonnell are very dangerous people.

• Options

Over the coming days, the Telegraph will detail a series of allegations of financial impropriety in British football which raise serious questions about the governance and influence of money within the game.

and again old timer...
  • Options

expenses all over again...

Over the coming days, the Telegraph will detail a series of allegations of  financial impropriety in British football which raise serious questions about the governance and influence of money within the game.
    Panorama had a several individuals 10 years ago and slipped up.
  • Options

and again old timer...
    I'm younger than you!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

You should come home

I know, with a kind of dreadful inevitability, that I will probably spend my twilight days in Cornwall. Looking at the oakwoods over the water in Restronguet.

Indeed. Cornwall is beautiful to me whatever the weather. Overlooking Plymouth Sound to Rame Head, or viewing Feock from St Mawes, sun or storm.
  • Options

In the video they beep out 2 names....I am going to guess will we be finding those out shortly!
  • Options

and again old timer...
    I'm younger than you!
    true
  • Options
    Having watched the video, I don't see how Big Sam can remain England manager.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    SeanT said:

Highlights included a full spectrum assault on property rights and a return to 1970s trade union strife. McDonnell's predecessor as Shadow Chancellor, Chris Leslie, suggested that his pledge for half a trillion pounds of extra spending would also necessitate a doubling of income tax and VAT, presumably leading to immediate economic ruin.

Meanwhile, out in the real world, more encouraging signs that his boss's re-election is less than universally welcome:

http://bcove.me/qbzbg5pi

If the polling evidence that Michael Crick references before his vox pops is anywhere near accurate, then something like half of Labour's Brexit backers, i.e. one-sixth of its entire vote, intend to abandon ship. That would take Labour's GE vote share down from 30% to 25% at once. We can but hope.

• Options

anyone got harry rednapp's number.... ironic he never got the gig for 'unknown' reasons.
  • Options

This is the story

how is it going? I tend to barely look at it until xmas day.
    Not a good week for me...
  • Options
    edited September 2016

anyone got harry rednapp's number.... ironic he never got the gig for 'unknown' reasons.
    No idea why....

Panorama - Undercover: Football's Dirty Secrets (2006)

http://www.peterjpotts.com/Video_Pages/BBC/BBC_P_Football.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

But sadly (as you hint) the ideas and ambition are all to have the next trendy niche leisure service. I see few ICI's around the corner.
    Nope. Disagree. Eventually a pop-up coffee-shack will become a Starbucks, and a weird Shoreditchy fintech idea will become a new Paypal or Ebay.

Ever the optimist!
  • Options

SeanT said:

Highlights included a full spectrum assault on property rights and a return to 1970s trade union strife. McDonnell's predecessor as Shadow Chancellor, Chris Leslie, suggested that his pledge for half a trillion pounds of extra spending would also necessitate a doubling of income tax and VAT, presumably leading to immediate economic ruin.

Meanwhile, out in the real world, more encouraging signs that his boss's re-election is less than universally welcome:

If the polling evidence that Michael Crick references before his vox pops is anywhere near accurate, then something like half of Labour's Brexit backers, i.e. one-sixth of its entire vote, intend to abandon ship. That would take Labour's GE vote share down from 30% to 25% at once. We can but hope.

No doubting it's grim oop norf! a smile would help.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

You should come home

Indeed. Cornwall is beautiful to me whatever the weather. Overlooking Plymouth Sound to Rame Head, or viewing Feock from St Mawes, sun or storm.
    It's a genuinely lovely part of the world. And I spend my time touring the world.

Even better - the food is now good, and sometimes fantastic (and it used to be utterly shite). There are excellent seafood restaurants all around the coast, even the pubs can rustle up a good crab sandwich. It's been invaded by the London bourgeoisie and is all the better for it.

I'd say it's possibly the most desirable place to live in the UK outside London. Which means it ranks high in Global Nice Places.

Almost zero crime. No terrorism. No guns. Just..... nice. Still needs more sun, though.
    It's a particular taste, since it is a long way from everywhere.

It's a slightly downgraded version of Wales really :p
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I've been reading the Telegraph since I was a child, and I often lament how generally poor the paper now is, but they deserve credit for these occasional big investigations, like the MPs expenses scandal.

For the Telegraph in particular writing about football is a very big part of their sport coverage, and that coverage is comprehensive and well written on the whole, so biting the hand the feeds them is proper old-school holding the powerful to account journalism.
  • Options

In the video they beep out 2 names....I am going to guess will we be finding those out shortly!
    How old is the video? Pre Sam England days?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

Nope. Disagree. Eventually a pop-up coffee-shack will become a Starbucks, and a weird Shoreditchy fintech idea will become a new Paypal or Ebay
    We do chain restaurants pretty well in the UK. There aren't really any equivalents to Wagamama or Pizza Express in France or Germany.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

You should come home

It's a genuinely lovely part of the world. And I spend my time touring the world.

Even better - the food is now good, and sometimes fantastic (and it used to be utterly shite). There are excellent seafood restaurants all around the coast, even the pubs can rustle up a good crab sandwich. It's been invaded by the London bourgeoisie and is all the better for it.

I'd say it's possibly the most desirable place to live in the UK outside London. Which means it ranks high in Global Nice Places.

Almost zero crime. No terrorism. No guns. Just..... nice. Still needs more sun, though.
    I like Cornwall, but I've never felt it quite lives up to the hype.

I adore the Devon coast between Torbay and Bigbury, West Wales, and the Antrim Coast.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Dixie said:

"The meeting at the May Fair Hotel on August 19"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

You should come home

The south coast of the Isle of Wight gets the most sun in the UK, closely followed by South Devon. Maybe Cornwall sticks that little bit too much into the Atlantic?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

I see labour has discovered socialism. I wonder how that new idea will pan out.

I stand to be corrected by events, but I doubt if it will go down terribly well in Hertfordshire.
    Socialism won't be welcome in my corner of Hertfordshire.
    Nor mine. Labour moved up from remote third to distant second, thanks to the LD collapse, in the GE. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they are third or even fourth - depending on the fate of Ukip - next time around.
  • Options

Dixie said:

Blimey. I hate reporters stitching up people. Really should be illegal to pretend you are someone else.

Happened to me once. Geezer Edited the vid, then said they lost the cuts so could only cover my bits, completely changed the context. Still, Sam looks f*cked on this.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2016
    Lalalala — A helmet-based solution to the 2016 election;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiWtOefBInk
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Blimey. I hate reporters stitching up people. Really should be illegal to pretend you are someone else.

Happened to me once. Geezer Edited the vid, then said they lost the cuts so could only cover my bits, completely changed the context. Still, Sam looks f*cked on this.
    Lets wait and see what comes out....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

From my experience here in Cambridge, you're 100% right.

Back in 1992/3, a mate and myself spent a few days sitting outside the refectory at QMW and planned an online encyclopedia. Knowing we could not even start to fill it, we knew it would have to be collaboratively edited.

In essence, we thought-up Wikipedia. And we did nothing with it. We've both done okay for ourselves (at least he would if he didn't spend all his money motor racing (*)), but neither of us have made even a tiny dent in the universe. We were both too concerned with what could go wrong, the downsides. Whilst it's important to acknowledge these, they should not cause inertia.

What I saw in small start-ups - two- and three-man jobs - in Cambridge before I took my leave of absence were guys twenty years younger than me who were hungry. They wanted to make that dent. They had great ideas and, more importantly, the desire to see it through.

They would not have left the refectory and gone clubbing. They would have gone to the lab and started coding.

Most won't make it. A couple have already fallen by the wayside, in one case due to a lack of VC. But in one case I know well, hes hungry, and he's learnt. And he still under 25, the git! Only three years out of uni and already one company under his belt!

(*) The easy way to have a fortune in motor racing? Start with a larger fortune.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

You should come home

Apparently, next-door Devon is more peaceful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22275280
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

As things stand I'd say Labour is headed for a general election result of 20-25%. Very very close to extinction.
    By my sums on Electoral Calculus Labour has to go to about 14% before it goes below 100 seats.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Alistair said:
    Nathan DeSai*...a lawyer who apparently had some big bust up with the law firm he worked at.

* That is an Indian name I believe.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

You should come home

The south coast of the Isle of Wight gets the most sun in the UK, closely followed by South Devon. Maybe Cornwall sticks that little bit too much into the Atlantic?
    Many times I have been sat in the sun in Bembridge, watching it rain on the mainland. Parts of the Wight have great microclimates.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

As things stand I'd say Labour is headed for a general election result of 20-25%. Very very close to extinction.
    By my sums on Electoral Calculus Labour has to go to about 14% before it goes below 100 seats.
    They won't slip below 20% in 2020. UKIP have no raison d'etre.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ummmmm

@HexhamCLP: @RupertMyers @Telegraph So this is the spolier story they had ready to overshadow any good news from #Lab16?
  • Options

Alistair said:
    Nathan DeSai*...a lawyer who apparently had some big bust up with the law firm he worked at.

Does this count as terrorism?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I try to be neutral. In the last three years I've done three travel pieces in West Cornwall, and then east Cornwall/west Devon. At the same time I've visited maybe 15 other countries.

Cornwall was genuinely up there, in terms of landscape, history, food. A very seductive place, partly because of its smallness. If you don't like the moors, go to the northern cliffs, 30 minutes away. If you don't like the storms, see the sheltered wooded valleys of the south, another 34 minutes away.

I agree that south Devon around Salcombe is comparable in its loveliness.

In England, the Northumberland coast is preeminent.
    In Wales, Pembrokeshire (though the Lleyn peninsular is a hidden gem).
    In Scotland, the stretch between Rhiconich and Durness is heavenly.

And I should know, I've walked it all. ;)
  • Options

Alistair said:

There's a picture of him here.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/houston-shooting-gunman-nathan-desai-accused-flirting-clients-law-firm-1583417
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Scott_P said:

Ummmmm

@HexhamCLP: @RupertMyers @Telegraph So this is the spolier story they had ready to overshadow any good news from #Lab16?

LOL....What rather than Clive Lewis smashing up his phone and punching the wall?

Its a Zionist Conspiracy....
  • Options

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

I like Sam, I think rougues make great managers. Jose, Redknapp, Fergy etc
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_P said:

Ummmmm

LOL. Oh dear
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Three of those four coincidentally made star appearances in the 2006 Panorama film...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

You should come home

Many times I have been sat in the sun in Bembridge, watching it rain on the mainland. Parts of the Wight have great microclimates.
    I believe there was a sanitorium for TB on the island for that reason. Can't remember where though,
  • Options

Alistair said:

Not unless he is one of dem muslims. Otherwise he is just an American exercising his second Ammendment rights.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Not unless he is one of dem muslims. Otherwise he is just an American exercising his second Ammendment rights.
    Timothy Mcveigh, Ted Kaczynski (Unabomber), etc etc etc all terrorists.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    McDonnell on Newsnight, obviously a fan of Alison Krauss. His favourite song of hers must be "You say it best when you say nothing at all...."
  • Options

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Three of those four coincidentally made star appearances in the 2006 Panorama film...
    No surprise. I used to know A Club Chairman very well. The stories he used to tell me about bungs...brown paper bags with cash were a weekly event. I won't say anymore, because it might still be alive! Essentially, the game has always been run like the inside a local bookies!
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    trump is a major tax cheat it seems

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/this-looks-real-big
  • Options
  • Options
    SeanT said:

McDonnell is dreadful on Newsnight. I thought he was the smart one.

The bar is set very low.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    619 said:
    If the article is entitled "this looks real big" you can bet it isn't.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

No surprise. I used to know A Club Chairman very well. The stories he used to tell me about bungs...brown paper bags with cash were a weekly event. I won't say anymore, because it might still be alive! Essentially, the game has always been run like the inside a local bookies!
    Sam says in the secret film....20, 30 years ago you could do that, no not now you can't, I didn't hear that, I didn't, you slipped up (to his agent), you can't say that anymore.
  • Options

We do chain restaurants pretty well in the UK. There aren't really any equivalents to Wagamama or Pizza Express in France or Germany.

Hmmm:

http://www.courtepaille.com/

http://restaurant.hippopotamus.fr/

http://www.buffalo-grill.fr/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

McDonnell is dreadful on Newsnight. I thought he was the smart one.

The bar is set very low.
    This is arguably the most calamitous interview I've ever seen from a "Shadow Chancellor". Or indeed any Shadow Minister
    Postman Pat did some really bad ones, where it was clear Economics For Dummies was about the level of his knowledge.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Just checked...he's dead. he once told me that a team had drawn in the FA Cup and they had a replay. The other side needed to move the date so a Chairman got £30k in used notes to do it! Then the other team said, "look mate, if this is a draw, another replay, we can't fit it in our schedule. Have another bung. Chairman then instructed a player to score an own goal. It was rife. I don't have any details at all sadly, just mild anecdotes X 1000
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Just checked...he's dead. he once told me that a team had drawn in the FA Cup and they had a replay. The other side needed to move the date so a Chairman got £30k in used notes to do it! Then the other team said, "look mate, if this is a draw, another replay, we can't fit it in our schedule. Have another bung. Chairman then instructed a player to score an own goal. It was rife. I don't have any details at all sadly, just mild anecdotes X 1000
    From yesterday....

Uefa had Forest-Anderlecht referee bribe evidence 'for four years'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-37453762
  • Options

Hmmm:

http://www.courtepaille.com/

http://restaurant.hippopotamus.fr/

http://www.buffalo-grill.fr/
    I did think of Courte Paille as I wrote the post and rejected it because it's a bit dated. The other two are a more modern version of the same thing.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2016

From my experience here in Cambridge, you're 100% right.

Back in 1992/3, a mate and myself spent a few days sitting outside the refectory at QMW and planned an online encyclopedia. Knowing we could not even start to fill it, we knew it would have to be collaboratively edited.

In essence, we thought-up Wikipedia. And we did nothing with it. We've both done okay for ourselves (at least he would if he didn't spend all his money motor racing (*)), but neither of us have made even a tiny dent in the universe. We were both too concerned with what could go wrong, the downsides. Whilst it's important to acknowledge these, they should not cause inertia.

What I saw in small start-ups - two- and three-man jobs - in Cambridge before I took my leave of absence were guys twenty years younger than me who were hungry. They wanted to make that dent. They had great ideas and, more importantly, the desire to see it through.

They would not have left the refectory and gone clubbing. They would have gone to the lab and started coding.

Most won't make it. A couple have already fallen by the wayside, in one case due to a lack of VC. But in one case I know well, hes hungry, and he's learnt. And he still under 25, the git! Only three years out of uni and already one company under his belt!

(*) The easy way to have a fortune in motor racing? Start with a larger fortune.

Summat I never understood about the start-up scene in Cambridge - probably relevant to Silicon Valley or Old Street too - is how they afford to start out. Most fresh graduates need to go and earn a crust, particularly if they're living away from home. I appreciate that even as a two-man show the funding can start coming in pretty early, but how do you set up with an office, pay the rent on your flat, keep food in your mouth and so on? Cambridge is not a cheap city to live.

I don't watch much telly but was struck that on Dragon's Den, the young'uns who've had a big idea - often for consumer product rather than tech - almost always moved back home and worked in a spare room, while their parents provided the bread and board.
This discussion has been closed.