Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Clinton versus Trump debate thread

Comments

• Options
    SeanT said:

That was like a debate between the two worst possible candidates for the presidency of the USA. Still not sure who won.

Trump was ridiculous. But Clinton was odious.

Sky saying Trump paying no taxes will go down well as taxes are seen as big government. Lessons for Corbyn
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

That was like a debate between the two worst possible candidates for the presidency of the USA. Still not sure who won.

Trump was ridiculous. But Clinton was odious.

LOL. Hillary "The Joker" Clinton needs to borrow some of Heath Ledger's make up for the next debate.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Well the debate is over, Hillary is the next president but just because Trump was even more terrible than Hillary.

What was Trump doing all these weeks about preparing for the debate ?

I really does not matter how this played to a British audience, but how it played with the non-voters that Trump might bring to the table. Trump is playing a different game, which us politicos find hard to understand or accept as even possibly being effective.
    Trump needed to appear composed and smart.
    Hillary needed to appear real and human.

Neither did, but Trump needed a win most.

On that scale Trump is the clear loser.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I'm switching off TV now - the media are so biased one way it makes very dull viewing.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Well the debate is over, Hillary is the next president but just because Trump was even more terrible than Hillary.

I really does not matter how this played to a British audience, but how it played with the non-voters that Trump might bring to the table. Trump is playing a different game, which us politicos find hard to understand or accept as even possibly being effective.

All the early GOP debates resulted in politicos making exactly that analysis - each and every time they were wrong.

I'll wait until we see what post debate polling says (not the Luntz stuff which was just as wrong as the other pundits in the GOP primaries).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Speedy said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

I am still sticking to a Hillary win by less than 1%, she will scrape home but no killer blow from her tonight and the vast majority of Trump voters will not have changed their mind either albeit maybe a handful of undecideds
  • Options

nunu said:

nunu said:

Moderator again bringing up a negative for Trump as a "question"..basically you are a sexist aren't you Donald. Not once has he done that for Clinton.

thats his own fault.
    There is plenty to do the same for Clinton, that is my only point.
    I guess he could of bought up the depolarable, but there is no comparison she hasn't said racist, sexist things during the campaign.
    Clinton Foundation, Deplorables, Emails....plenty to go on. The liberal leaning, Clinton supporting, Last Week Tonight managed a good 10 mins without even trying.
    https://twitter.com/N650AS/status/735806013669056512
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I'm switching off TV now - the media are so biased one way it makes very dull viewing.

Seriously, get out of your bubble.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Also, crucially, Hillary needed to appear healthy. Which she dd. I'd say she was the probably the winner.
    Yes, she didn't collapse into the podium!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Well, according to Betfair, Hillary won. Trump moved from 2.92 at the start to 3.35 now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    Let me guess, all except Fox?
  • Options

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    They are biased in the other way. It's not like the news back in the UK.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2016
    AndyJS said:

Well, according to Betfair, Hillary won. Trump moved from 2.92 at the start to 3.35 now.

The only part of the 90 mins shit show that Trump won was when the Clinton-Bot-2000 went all "everybody is racist, the system is racist".
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,869
    Moses_ said:

From that load of bollocks make the moderator POTUS

He was just as bad as the two candidates.

Time to postpone the whole thing and come us with two sane candidates?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Moses_ said:

HM could always appoint a new governor?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Moses_ said:

HM could always appoint a new governor?
    :+1:
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    The Pew Foundation did a very good analysis of the bias of the news outlets in the US. In fact, there were quite a few media outlets more to the left than Fox is to the right.

http://www.journalism.org/2014/10/21/political-polarization-media-habits/pj_14-10-21_mediapolarization-08/

Interesting how far to the left the Beeb and the Economist are.
  • Options
    Recreation of what I just wasted 90 mins watching...

https://suchanaughtymonkey.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/monkey_poo_for_you.jpg
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    Funny because the same posters claim the media is biased here too. It seems that anyone who points out inconvenient truths is biased.
  • Options

Recreation of what I just wasted 90 mins watching...

https://suchanaughtymonkey.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/monkey_poo_for_you.jpg

Glad I made the right decision in not watching it, apart from about 30 seconds in 3 separate 10 second segments.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    Funny because the same posters claim the media is biased here too. It seems that anyone who points out inconvenient truths is biased.
    All media companies are biased. All humans are biased. The key is to be able to recognize where the bias lies and to discount it accordingly.

The concept of unbiased news is frankly ridiculous.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    cnn talking about Birtherism. I think it matters to African Americans. but I don't know.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    You'd never find any UK broadcaster spinning for one candidate like they do in the US!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    Note: the subject not_on_fire continues with his bias!
  • Options
    If you just watch the soundbites on Sky you'd think Trump won a clear victory.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    SeanT said:

Clinton playing to her base now. System is racist.

Disastrous for her, I think
    The Obama coalition is minorities and college educated whites (middle class liberals). She needs that. Remember she's not trying to win right wingers like us, America is 50/50 with a two party system, each sides needs to turnout their base.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2016
    I thought Hillary edged that by being the more Presidential. Neither of them will have put off anyone already supporting them, there were no knock out blows. It's just s much easier imagining her doing the ceremonial side of it than him. Very thin gruel by way of difference but I think Hillary edged it.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    You'd never find any UK broadcaster spinning for one candidate like they do in the US!
    That's because legally the broadcast media in the UK has to be impartial in the run up to an election.

I'd imagine that the BBC would lean a little left and Sky a little right, if they were allowed to.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Can I recommend that no one tries to listen to the debate on World Service?

They kept cutting away from the interesting stuff to go to a continuity announcer.

From what I heard: probably a score draw, no disasters for Trump. Felt Clinton made a few nasty, more personal attacks
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    That's because legally the broadcast media in the UK has to be impartial in the run up to an election.
    Even in the "off-season"...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Ha!

Shadow Chancellor, John McDonnell, serenades the #Labour Conference according to @thetimes https://t.co/SnEKLLxtO1
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    All media companies are biased. All humans are biased. The key is to be able to recognize where the bias lies and to discount it accordingly.

Yes, of course. But some posters seem unable to distinguish the reporting of facts you'd rather weren't mentioned from true bias.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    clinton won that one imo. no knock outs and still tight though. trump did not look presidential.

betting markets def agree with that consensus
  • Options

MTimT said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.

Yes, of course. But some posters seem unable to distinguish the reporting of facts you'd rather weren't mentioned from true bias.
    Yes, the US media has true bias (in both directions, as mentioned below). Very hard to find a channel that reports just facts.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Trump said in the spin room he held back by not bringing up Bills infedelities and said might bring it up next debate...............I guess he doesn't want the vote of any women who has been cheated on.

Did anyone see the opening statements? How were they?
  • Options
    Charles said:

They kept cutting away from the interesting stuff to go to a continuity announcer.

From what I heard: probably a score draw, no disasters for Trump. Felt Clinton made a few nasty, more personal attacks

If anyone wants to watch again now, the Sky News live feed (with no interruptions) has a good rewind function, simply drag the time bar back a couple of hours.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.
    The Pew Foundation did a very good analysis of the bias of the news outlets in the US. In fact, there were quite a few media outlets more to the left than Fox is to the right.

http://www.journalism.org/2014/10/21/political-polarization-media-habits/pj_14-10-21_mediapolarization-08/

You appear to have misunderstood the report. The diagram shows the political views of those who watch the broadcaster, not bias (whether real or perceived)
  • Options
    nunu said:

Trump said in the spin room he held back by not bringing upBills infedelities and said might bring it up next debate...............I guess he dosn't want the vote of any women who has been cheated on.

He'd be well advised not to bring it up. Nothing Hillary could do about it, after all.
  • Options
    Charles said:

If you were listening to the World Service, you'd have heard the somewhat deflated Breitbart and Hispanics for Trump guys say Clinton edged it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I can't believe 91% thought anyone won.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

If anyone wants to watch again now, the Sky News live feed (with no interruptions) has a good rewind function, simply drag the time bar back a couple of hours.
    I wonder rather watch drive nails through my hands than watch that again.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    I can't believe 91% thought anyone won.
    Indeed, though as I thought Hillary edged it but no knock-out blow. Goodnight
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    edited September 2016
    Think some of you below might be missing a crucial point. Many undecideds went into the debate having been told Trump was a loon.

On that score Trump wins.

It'll be interesting to see the opinion polls over the next week. The race was already becoming too close to call.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:

nunu said:

Trump said in the spin room he held back by not bringing upBills infedelities and said might bring it up next debate...............I guess he dosn't want the vote of any women who has been cheated on.

He'd be well advised not to bring it up. Nothing Hillary could do about it, after all.
    If he does, some people might feel sorry for the Clinton-Bot-2000....even though it is incredibly hard thing to do.
  • Options

If you just watch the soundbites on Sky you'd think Trump won a clear victory.

did they go Fox news mode?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    HYUFD said:
    And 9% shot themselves? Would have thought it would have been higher than that.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    HYUFD said:
    the world hasn't gone completley mad then. A clear win for Clinton. Just two more to go.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

I wonder rather watch drive nails through my hands than watch that again.
    I'd rather watch 10 hours of Corbyn v Smith :lol:
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    CNN annoying a lot of people on Twitter by not announcing the result of their poll...
  • Options

Think some of you below might be missing a crucial point. Many undecideds went into the debate having been told Trump was a loon.

It'll be interesting to see the opinion polls over the next week. The race was already becoming too close to call.

Trump did come across as a loon. His answers were rambling and utterly incoherent. I loved the bit where he claimed the Iran deal should have somehow included North Korea as well!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

CNN annoying a lot of people on Twitter by not announcing the result of their poll...

Are they refusing to announce it? :o
  • Options
    edited September 2016

"Many undecideds went into the debate having been told Trump was a loon"

And what did Trump do?
    He behaved like a loon.

And that's why he lost.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What was it? Why are they annoyed?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Clinton wore red, trying to get moderate Repubs?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    67% thought Romney won the first debate in 2012 to put it into context, not much changed tonight
  • Options
    giuliani just said on twitter that it wasnt trump's best debate
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    67% thought Romney won the first debate in 2012 to put it into context, not much changed tonight
    Which is good for Clinton. She denied Trump a chance to change the narrative.
  • Options
    619 said:

giuliani just said on twitter that it wasnt trump's best debate

That's a parody account.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

it's a voodoo twitter poll.
  • Options

Trump did come across as a loon. His answers were rambling and utterly incoherent. I loved the bit where he claimed the Iran deal should have somehow included North Korea as well!
    No there's a difference between disagreeing with him in your bias and thinking he was a loon.

Neither candidate was unpresidential and that helps Trump.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Wow. Just seen Google trends tweet about stop and frisk.

Has Trump found his election winning domestic policy?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Didn't Gore also win the immediate debate poll? The actual polls then shifted against him.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

CNN is always doing that "just minutes away" thing for hours or days.
  • Options
    trump on twitter complainig about the moderator and questions. the trump camp think they lost this
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Mortimer said:

That bit was awful for Clinton.
  • Options
    Nothing PBers won't already know. But Trump beautifully explained in just 10 minutes. < A Point of View - The Real Meaning of Trump - @bbcradio4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07vwr08
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Gordon Brown Hillary Clinton has her dividing line.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/780585423764647936
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

CNN is always doing that "just minutes away" thing for hours or days.
    mere seconds away :o 86,400 seconds away!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

it's a voodoo twitter poll.
    Oh god...I presumed they had done their whole, before you we tell you the full result, 2hrs of hearing about incredibly niche demographics like how right handed, left footed lumberjacks in Alaska voted....
  • Options

No there's a difference between disagreeing with him in your bias and thinking he was a loon.

The man isn't capable of stringing a sentence together. That makes him come across as a loon regardless of what he's saying.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Because they keep saying it's imminent. They've been saying that ever since the debate finished.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Yes it was quite noticeable wasn't it. Vote Leave used Red.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    It remains a tight election though
  • Options
    619 said:

trump on twitter complainig about the moderator and questions. the trump camp think they lost this

He is right about the moderator and the questions, the big question is why did he not prepare for the obvious ?
  • Options

nunu said:

What a crap color. Everyone knows blue is where it's at!
  • Options
    Of course what really matters is what swing voters in Pennsylvania thought about the debate.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Because they keep saying it's imminent. They've been saying that ever since the debate finished.
    Wolf Blitzer's retirement is imminent. Coming soon at some point with in the next hour and 10 years.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Oh they always bloody do that.....BREAKING NEWS....our poll imminently....BREAKING NEWS...we are only a few minutes away from the result....BREAKING...I will f##king break you in a minute Wolf.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Yes, undoubtably. Can't decide whether to cash out my Trump position now.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Apparently CNN's focus group poll has 18 out of 20 undecided voters in Orlando saying Hillary won the debate.
  • Options

The man isn't capable of stringing a sentence together. That makes him come across as a loon regardless of what he's saying.
    'A very against police judge'
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

If you were listening to the World Service, you'd have heard the somewhat deflated Breitbart and Hispanics for Trump guys say Clinton edged it.
    Thought Breitbart was deflated, not sure the Hispanics for Trump guy was as downbeat.

But kudos to the World Service for finding a homosexual, Hispanic, East Village living entertainer who supports Trump!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Didn't Gore also win the immediate debate poll? The actual polls then shifted against him.
    I think it was basically a tie but Gore's trying to intimidate Bush did not go down well
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Mortimer said:

The Clinton-Bot-2000 would be far better shutting up about that. I am sure it plays great with black voters, but she wins those 90% to 10% already, where as a lot of middle America folk will be thinking why shouldn't we have that.
  • Options
    The most interesting thing was Trump's prediction we we're in a bubble that was about to burst. He's already planning for the 2020 campaign.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Apparently CNN's focus group poll has 18 out of 20 undecided voters saying Hillary won the debate.

I'm not questioning that Hillary won the debate (since I said so 20 minutes after it started) but what happened to their poll ?
  • Options

nunu said:

I'd like a neuroscientist to answer how much these sort of things matter, if it's measureable.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Polls are all voters, focus groups undecided?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    It's not a disconnect. The two methods measure different things.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Yes. On the face of it, looks pretty good for Clinton.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Apparently CNN's focus group poll has 18 out of 20 undecided voters saying Hillary won the debate.

I'm not questioning that Hillary won the debate (since I said so 20 minutes after it started) but what happened to their poll ?
    Maybe they just meant this focus group poll.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Mortimer said:

The Clinton-Bot-2000 would be far better shutting up about that. I am sure it plays great with black voters, but she wins those 90% to 10% already, where as a lot of middle America folk will be thinking why shouldn't we have that.
    Basically Trump wins if this becomes all about law and order. It is getting to look like she might fall in the massively obvious, fully signposted bear trap.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Yes. On the face of it, looks pretty good for Clinton.
    Yep, I think we'll see a tick back to Clinton in the next few days. I wonder how much Trump's performance was priced in though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Yes, undoubtably. Can't decide whether to cash out my Trump position now.
    Wait for the polls over the next few days but based on the PPP poll I don't see any major changes likely. Night
  • Options

MTimT said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the US they are.

You appear to have misunderstood the report. The diagram shows the political views of those who watch the broadcaster, not bias (whether real or perceived)
    No. There is a high correlation between the bias of the source and the people who choose it as their source of news.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Because the focus groups were of undecided voters.
    The partisans would tend to break for their own side.

It's telling that almost all undecided voters sided with Hillary after the debate.

So long to HYUFD's theory that Trump would win the debates, I told you so that Trump would probably lose them.
This discussion has been closed.