Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The WH2016 betting moves markedly back to Clinton after con

124»

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

Pulpstar said:

Hillary only ahead in the CNN poll.

Every single voodoo twitter poll has it for Trump.

well thats voodo twitter polls for you. the network focus groups all say clinton
    I haven't and wont watch the debates between an incompetent harridan and a posturing charlatan.

But the voodoo polls kept going for Brexit while the networks kept saying Remain.

Whether history repeats we don't know yet.
    The actual flipping polls said Leave. People are acting like every fucking poll had a 20 point Remain lead. By this stage of Brexit the last month of polls were split almost 50/50 between leave and remain leads.
    Precisely. The Brexiteers are recasting their pre vote despair that maybe 3 out of every 5 polls wasn't great for Leave into 'the polls were all wrong!'
    One problem was that polling companies didn't believe their own figures, so kept adjusting them to favour Remain.
    Andrew Cooper provided me with much amusement.

On the one hand he was claiming to be an objective pollster, on the other hand his Twitter feed was wall to wall propaganda for Remain.

Peter Kellner was similarly compromised but avoided making quite such a fool of himself.
    The adjustments made to the final Populus poll seem to have involved a good deal of wishful thinking.
    It maybe heresy on this site to say so, but are the polls worth anything? The polling companies, it would appear, get their results from their survey and then adjust them until they produce the outcome the company thinks correct. They could save a fortune by cutting out the actual survey and just releasing some figures that they have made up.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960

@Cookie

Many thanks for the recommendation of that book, I have ordered my copy.

For any that are interested in the subject of how England has developed from prehistoric times may I recommend the book "Foundation" by Peter Ackroyd. As always with Ackroyd, it is an easy read but very well researched. Amongst other things, Ackroyd looks at the stability of English communities over the millennia and demonstrates how settlements, places of worship, roads, even the shape of fields are commonly in the same places or still follow the same lines as they did in the Bronze Age and even beyond.

N.B. Because of the maps and drawings Foundation is not suitable for Kindle.

I shall be down to the library as soon as it opens. Stane Street runs thropugh this town and one of the features of it, around here anyway, is that it runs just below where an ice age “push” stopped and hence there is a line of springs providing fresh water.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sitting in a bar in NYC, Trump came across better than reported. His language is much more down to Earth and is compelling to watch. Clinton had polish, one or two good put downs but tended to ramble.

It felt like a non politician taking on a pro. I can't see that hurting Trump.
  • Options
    Paul Mason tweets: Labour hierarchy breaking every rule to keep party under neoliberal/millionaire control. We need own structures/networks until this stops

(sure this isn't a parody account? - ed.)
  • Options

@Cookie

For any that are interested in the subject of how England has developed from prehistoric times may I recommend the book "Foundation" by Peter Ackroyd. As always with Ackroyd, it is an easy read but very well researched. Amongst other things, Ackroyd looks at the stability of English communities over the millennia and demonstrates how settlements, places of worship, roads, even the shape of fields are commonly in the same places or still follow the same lines as they did in the Bronze Age and even beyond.

I shall be down to the library as soon as it opens. Stane Street runs thropugh this town and one of the features of it, around here anyway, is that it runs just below where an ice age “push” stopped and hence there is a line of springs providing fresh water.
    Better than that, I can, and have reserved it on line!!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sitting in a bar in NYC, Trump came across better than reported. His language is much more down to Earth and is compelling to watch. Clinton had polish, one or two good put downs but tended to ramble.

Agreed. Trump is personable while Mrs Clinton is insupportable. Four more years of her at large is too much for the American soul.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, interesting perspective.

Miss Vance, isn't Jezbollah a millionaire? Can't imagine Mason's poor either.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited September 2016

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:
    As so often with these things, there's more to the story that first meets the eye.

Those seeking to make cheap political points should really ensure they're in possession of the facts of the case before they comment.
    Except Scott was not the man the police were after. At the time they shot him they knew nothing of his history.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3806997/He-just-wanted-knock-guys-heads-cop-shot-dead-Keith-Scott-considered-explosive-football-field-judgement-called-question.html?0p19G=c
    Most of that article reads like a nasty hatchet job on the policeman concerned. It does however say that the suspect was seen brandishing what looked like a gun and a marajuana joint before he was questioned.

It's a complicated social problem in the US, politicians and media trying to make sound bites out of it really isn't helping at all.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

I said last night that I thought it likely that the betting markets would over-react. I'm not so sure about that this morning. Trump seems to have made some serious mistakes in the debate. In particular, if the Clinton campaign can pick up and successfully exploit his comments on tax and establish a perception that he thinks 'only little people pay taxes', then it may well be a clincher.

Yes, I'd agree with that analysis Richard. I don't think Hillary landed the knockout punch last night despite Trump's dire performance. But the experience may be useful for her medium term insofar as it has given her new negative material to work with.
    Yes, the only issue I can see is the unfair questioning angle from the Trump side. If they can successfully land that on the moderator it will have been a successful evening for Trump. His comments on tax were extremely poorly judged IMO but may be overshadowed by howls of an establishment stitch up on the questions.
    He might have reason to complain but it doesn't help him, he's not running against the moderator.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Jonathan said:

Agreed. Trump is personable while Mrs Clinton is insupportable. Four more years of her at large is too much for the American soul.
    Anyone who thinks Trump is personable lacks political judgement
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Agreed. Trump is personable while Mrs Clinton is insupportable. Four more years of her at large is too much for the American soul.''

Liberal elite asks liberal elite and finds out everybody thinks Trump performed badly shock.

The squealing if Trump goes further ahead after this will be too delicious.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:
    As so often with these things, there's more to the story that first meets the eye.

Those seeking to make cheap political points should really ensure they're in possession of the facts of the case before they comment.
    Except Scott was not the man the police were after. At the time they shot him they knew nothing of his history.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3806997/He-just-wanted-knock-guys-heads-cop-shot-dead-Keith-Scott-considered-explosive-football-field-judgement-called-question.html?0p19G=c
    Most of that article reads like a nasty hatchet job on the policeman concerned. It does however say that the suspect was seen brandishing what looked like a gun and a marajuana joint before he was questioned.

It's a complicated social problem in the US, politicians and media trying to make sound bites out of it really isn't helping at all.
    Hatchet job on police or hatchet job on the victim?

The Daily Mail seems to be doing both!

At the time that Scott was shot the police did not know who he was.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    edited September 2016

Jonathan said:

The word political appears to be utterly superfluous in your post?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    This is how bad it is for Labour, when in the middle of their conference people like William Hague are giving genuinely sensible advice to their more moderate members.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/26/moderate-labour-rebels-have-been-utterly-hopeless-they-should-fo/

"And then – here comes the hard bit – they need leaders and a philosophy. No political movement can succeed without those two attributes. So if Yvette Cooper, or Dan Jarvis, or even David Miliband, are ever going to step forward to lead an alternative vision of what a Left-wing party is for in the 21st century, they will need to do so now.

"Such leaders need to write the books, pen the pamphlets, and make the big speeches that show there is some point in being a moderate, centre-Left leader. They need to say what they would do about combining the benefits of globalisation with looking after the people who can miss out on its riches. They should be showing what a leader of the opposition could be saying if their objective was to be prime minister rather than to entrench a faction in permanent control of a great party"
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited September 2016

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

I said last night that I thought it likely that the betting markets would over-react. I'm not so sure about that this morning. Trump seems to have made some serious mistakes in the debate. In particular, if the Clinton campaign can pick up and successfully exploit his comments on tax and establish a perception that he thinks 'only little people pay taxes', then it may well be a clincher.

Yes, I'd agree with that analysis Richard. I don't think Hillary landed the knockout punch last night despite Trump's dire performance. But the experience may be useful for her medium term insofar as it has given her new negative material to work with.
    Yes, the only issue I can see is the unfair questioning angle from the Trump side. If they can successfully land that on the moderator it will have been a successful evening for Trump. His comments on tax were extremely poorly judged IMO but may be overshadowed by howls of an establishment stitch up on the questions.
    He might have reason to complain but it doesn't help him, he's not running against the moderator.
    No, but he is running against the establishment, of which the moderator and Clinton are a part. As I said, he didn't have a good night by the looks of things and the clips I've seen, but if the Trump camp are able to switch the focus onto the moderator and the difference in questioning then they will call it a win. It feeds into their narrative of Trump vs the world.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You're a definite candidate for the PB poster with the worst political judgement. You're notoriously mistaken in your prognostications.
  • Options
    For me the insouciance surrounding the Deutsche Bank story really beggars belief.

Here is the Eurozone's flagship bank, about to go under, with interest rates already through the floor and the economy stalled.

Yeah, whatever.

It is quite extraordinary. Then again it goes completely against the remainer narrative I suppose.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

No, but he is running against the establishment, of which the moderator and Clinton are a part. As I said, he didn't have a good night by the looks of things and the clips I've seen, but if the Trump camp are able to switch the focus onto the moderator and the difference in questioning then they will call it a win. It feeds into their narrative of Trump vs the world.
    The current Trump view is that Trump won because he didn't attack Hillary personally over Bill Clinton.

It has to be said, Conway et al do not look massively happy at spouting that. Looking at the surrogates body language, the trump campaign certainly don't feel it's a win
  • Options

If you include the value of his MP's pension pot - very easily......house reputedly worth £650,000, or three times the UK average.....but no, Jeremy is not rich.....

I don't imagine Paul Mason was paid buttons by either the BBC or Channel 4
  • Options

@Cookie

I hope you enjoy the book and find it as fascinating as I did. Do please let me know what you think of it, Mr. Cole.

Little things like the line of springs you mention I think have shaped England more than we often realise. I find it fascinating.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Kirsty_Maj0r: Jackie Walker vice chair of Momentum calls for Labour to develop its own alt news sources to counter press bias #TWT2016 #Lab16
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, interesting perspective.

Doesn’t look as though he’s that wealthy, his family were professionals (teacher & professional engineer). “Comfortable” I would think described them.
  • Options
    taffys said:

For me the insouciance surrounding the Deutsche Bank story really beggars belief.

Here is the Eurozone's flagship bank, about to go under, with interest rates already through the floor and the economy stalled.

Yeah, whatever.

It is quite extraordinary. Then again it goes completely against the remainer narrative I suppose.

What does it have to do with the remainer narrative?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Kirsty_Maj0r: Jackie Walker vice chair of Momentum calls for Labour to develop its own alt news sources to counter press bias #TWT2016 #Lab16

An new Jezconomy?
  • Options

@Cookie

I hope you enjoy the book and find it as fascinating as I did. Do please let me know what you think of it, Mr. Cole.

Little things like the line of springs you mention I think have shaped England more than we often realise. I find it fascinating.
    Indeed; I agree. I sometimes wonder why I did science and not arts (history, Latin) at school. Parental pressure and expectation I suspect.
  • Options
    Others may have already seen this but the Panelbase tables are up from their recent Scottish Polling and it appears that there was a glitch in the data weighting such that some of the figures differ from those published in the Sunday Times.

Support for independence is now stated at 47% not 48%. And the WM voting intentions now appear to be.

SNP - 47%
    Con - 24%
    Labour 16%
    Lib Dem - 5%
    Others - 7%
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MaxPB said:

A difficult narrative for Trump as he said after that the moderator "did great" and was "very fair".
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    JackW said:

MaxPB said:

A difficult narrative for Trump as he said after that the moderator "did great" and was "very fair".
    Far better to let others throw dirt at the moderator?
  • Options
    JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Is ARSE4US still out of commission? (Presumably while running for the Turner prize.)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906
    My US betting position looking somewhat rosier than my RBS punt... only investment I'm actually down on this year (Though GSK up) - which is ... annoying.

Can't win them all I guess !
  • Options
    MikeK : "I must be totally naive as I didn't know, or forgot, about the Wm. Hill £100 prize for first place. How do I collect it?"

You don't collect it as such .... life's not that simple. First you need to open an online account with Hills. You can then use this to place a free single bet of £100 of your choice (I can advise for a small fee) and if you win you collect, along with your £100 stake. If you lose, then it's goodnight Vienna. Hopefully someone in the Hills organisation will remember when this prize was first set up. Good luck!
  • Options

@Cookie

Indeed; I agree. I sometimes wonder why I did science and not arts (history, Latin) at school. Parental pressure and expectation I suspect.
    Me too. I was pushed into the science and mathematics route at the age of 13 and didn't know any better. However, one of the great things about the increasing life expectancy is that we can in our later years pick up on those areas we missed the first time around. Life-long learning they call it, and on that note I am off back to the 12th century for the afternoon.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Agreed. Trump is personable while Mrs Clinton is insupportable. Four more years of her at large is too much for the American soul.''

Liberal elite asks liberal elite and finds out everybody thinks Trump performed badly shock.

The squealing if Trump goes further ahead after this will be too delicious.

What we need to bear in mind is that the Americans are electing the same person to three different roles, and may apply different judgement to each role.
    1) head of government
    2) head of state (is the candidate "presidential"?)
    3) commander in chief (will the candidate start world war 3 on a whim?)

Trump's problems seem from this side of the Atlantic to be based around (2) and (3) and based on his more restrained performance last night compared with the GOP debates, Trump thinks so too.
  • Options
    JackW said:

MaxPB said:

According to the polls I've seen ( apart from the Clinton News Network outlier ) he won the debate handily. No wonder he's happy with the ref.
  • Options
    JackW said:

MaxPB said:

It won't be him that makes the play.
  • Options

MikeK : "I must be totally naive as I didn't know, or forgot, about the Wm. Hill £100 prize for first place. How do I collect it?"

You don't collect it as such .... life's not that simple. First you need to open an online account with Hills. You can then use this to place a free single bet of £100 of your choice (I can advise for a small fee) and if you win you collect, along with your £100 stake. If you lose, then it's goodnight Vienna. Hopefully someone in the Hills organisation will remember when this prize was first set up. Good luck!

Depends, not clear if it is a Stake returned or a Stake not returned free bet, the potential strategies are different for each.
  • Options

@Cookie

Me too. I was pushed into the science and mathematics route at the age of 13 and didn't know any better. However, one of the great things about the increasing life expectancy is that we can in our later years pick up on those areas we missed the first time around. Life-long learning they call it, and on that note I am off back to the 12th century for the afternoon.
    One of the odder features of Labour's academies (and as embraced and extended to free schools by Michael Gove) is the idea that children (or their parents) can identify specialisation at the age of 11, never mind 13 or 15, and so choose the science academy or the languages academy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No need for a new news source.

The people's daily, the Morning Star, is already the only English-language socialist daily newspaper in the world, published six days a week.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    edited September 2016
    MaxPB said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Giuliani would certainly be up for the job. On listening to him last night/this am I hadn't realised quite how full-on, spittle flecked zoomer he had gone; he now exists to make Trump look reasonable and restrained.
  • Options
    The Times are reporting Sam Allardyce has been told to report to Wembley where he is set to be sacked.
  • Options
    Polly Toynbee is very good on the Corynistas today.
  • Options

Paul Mason tweets: Labour hierarchy breaking every rule to keep party under neoliberal/millionaire control. We need own structures/networks until this stops

The way things have turned out it is impossible to parody the Labour party anymore.
  • Options

According to the polls I've seen ( apart from the Clinton News Network outlier ) he won the debate handily. No wonder he's happy with the ref.

The only non voodoo polls show a clear win for Clinton. The high margin on the CNN poll is partly accounted for by the higher number of Dems polled as the network indicated. Further the focus groups indicate an indifferent performance by Trump.

A significant number of GOP strategists have also given the debate to Clinton.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

MaxPB said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Giuliani would certainly be up for the job. On listening to him last night/this am I hadn't realised how full-on, spittle flecked zoomer he had gone; he now exists to make Trump look reasonable and restrained.
    Or Christie. One of those two IMO will release a statement about the unfair nature of the questions and ask that the next debate will be more even handed and ask Hillary the hard questions about emails, Benghazi, her foundation's possible conflict of interest with her job as SoS etc...

It puts the focus on the moderation and ensures next time around that those questions are either asked, or if they aren't they can really lay into the questions and call it an establishment fix.

It's what I would do if I were Trump's campaign manager.
  • Options
    Trump on fox now

'there were no sniffles'

'the mic was faulty on purpose'

'the beauty paegent contestant was fat with an attitude'

Oh dear. calling other women fat may not help with the perception of him being a misogynist
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Attacking the moderator is not a smart play and Team Donald will want to close down the news cycle on this debate quickly.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: Labour member gets on stage to denounce "Parliamentarians who are not accountable to this movement" - i.e., the MPs. Extraordinary. #Lab16

Whilst MPs are voted for by the registered electorate in the constituency. in safe Labour seats the MP is effectively chosen by the local Labour party members.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

They might be able to use it to rile up the base and raise money but it doesn't work for waverers. They can't run that narrative without talking about how they lost.
  • Options

The Times are reporting Sam Allardyce has been told to report to Wembley where he is set to be sacked.

So England will have no manager for the World Cup qualifying game in two weeks? Time for Hills £100 bet winners to back Scotland?
  • Options
    Political excitement today?
    BBC2 dp show - Farage from Brussels. Back drop pic has a bug crawling across it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Depends, not clear if it is a Stake returned or a Stake not returned free bet, the potential strategies are different for each.
    When I was a prizewinner in a similar PB competition also sponsored by Hills, it was made clear that the Stake money would be included, along with any winnings. Unfortunately ..... guess what?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    This is an interesting one:

On Mr. Trump and the Federal Reserve.

Mr. Trump said the Federal Reserve is “doing political things” by holding interest rates at a low level. He charged that the Fed would raise rates as soon as Mr. Obama left office.

This is a baseless accusation. The Fed has held borrowing costs at historically low levels since the financial crisis to encourage economic growth. Some Fed officials would like to raise rates slightly. Some want to wait a little longer. But Fed officials are uniform in dismissing the idea that politics is playing a role in this debate, and outside experts see no evidence that the Fed is misleading the public.

In attacking the Fed, Mr. Trump is plowing across a line that presidential candidates and presidents have observed for the past several decades. There has been a bipartisan consensus that central banks operate most effectively when they are shielded from short-term political pressures. Indeed, President Richard M. Nixon’s insistence that the Fed should not raise rates in the early 1970s played a role in unleashing a long era of inflation — and in convincing his successors that it was better to leave the Fed to its technocratic devices.

• Options

Good. Hope they put a disrepute clause in his contract though.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: Labour member gets on stage to denounce "Parliamentarians who are not accountable to this movement" - i.e., the MPs. Extraordinary. #Lab16

Whilst MPs are voted for by the registered electorate in the constituency. in safe Labour seats the MP is effectively chosen by the local Labour party members.
    "accountable" is another code word. Like "democracy", as we discussed downthread. Chilling.
  • Options
    619 said:

Trump on fox now

'there were no sniffles'

Oh dear. calling other women fat may not help with the perception of him being a misogynist

Seriously? He is now blaming the mic?
  • Options
    JackW said:

MaxPB said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Attacking the moderator is not a smart play and Team Donald will want to close down the news cycle on this debate quickly.
    In a traditional election cycle it might not be, if the Trump camp can play into a sense of injustice among his supporters and people sympathetic to his goals then it is the right thing to do. Trump needs to fire up his base and making it into a Trump vs the establishment is the best way to do it. Lumping the moderator in with Hillary's campaign will definitely help, he's already started by criticising the mic and the audio feed.
  • Options
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

They might be able to use it to rile up the base and raise money but it doesn't work for waverers. They can't run that narrative without talking about how they lost.
    Talking about how they have been cheated and how next time they will ensure it doesn't happen. It's about feeding the sense of injustice.
  • Options
    According to Sky News, Big Sam is reported this morning as being "deeply embarrassed" - presumably on account of having been found out, although presumably not sufficiently deeply embarrassed to do the decent thing and fall on his sword?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

PPP Polls has it 51-40 to Clinton

What other non Internet voodoo poll swarmed by /pol/ redditors have you seen?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If I read between the lines correctly, The FA knows there's a shit storm heading with further revelations from The Telegraph this week, which will lead them to charge other managers with offences, and they cannot do that without punishing their most high profile employee.
  • Options

619 said:

Trump on fox now

'there were no sniffles'

Seriously? He is now blaming the mic?
    He said it last night as well.

He rated Clinton C+ and said he is too modest to rate himself.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Clinton's biggest win was when Trump said it was smart to avoid paying taxes. People will remember that and the fact that he won't release his income tax records.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-tax-returns-explained-wont-release-hiding-bombshell-a7324306.html
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Giuliani would certainly be up for the job. On listening to him last night/this am I hadn't realised how full-on, spittle flecked zoomer he had gone; he now exists to make Trump look reasonable and restrained.
    Or Christie. One of those two IMO will release a statement about the unfair nature of the questions and ask that the next debate will be more even handed and ask Hillary the hard questions about emails, Benghazi, her foundation's possible conflict of interest with her job as SoS etc...

It puts the focus on the moderation and ensures next time around that those questions are either asked, or if they aren't they can really lay into the questions and call it an establishment fix.

It's what I would do if I were Trump's campaign manager.
    Absolutely. Especially reeling off a list of Hillary's scandals. Trump himself should really start doing his best statesman impression right about now, and drop the annoying habit of interrupting himself half way through a sentence which he had last night.
  • Options

Is ARSE4US still out of commission? (Presumably while running for the Turner prize.)

:smiley:

Sadly yes. I'm not in a position to devote the time. I've some further "medical interventions" shortly followed by some significant down time.

Not great presently but hey ho ....
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    JackW said:

MaxPB said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Whatever Trump is paying Conway it isn't enough. She's amazing at deflecting and presenting Donald's behaviour as reasonable.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

If I read between the lines correctly, The FA knows there's a shit storm heading with further revelations from The Telegraph this week, which will lead them to charge other managers with offences, and they cannot do that without punishing their most high profile employee.
    Yes, I read between the lines too. It's probably why the Telegraph started with Big Sam, and the FA lawyers now probably have a tip off as to what's coming later in the week.

Not good for football, but much better that it be out in the open. Well done to the DT.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Whatever Trump is paying Conway it isn't enough. She's amazing at deflecting and presenting Donald's behaviour as reasonable.
    She specifically has said that the moderator was fine
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

In a traditional election cycle it might not be, if the Trump camp can play into a sense of injustice among his supporters and people sympathetic to his goals then it is the right thing to do. Trump needs to fire up his base and making it into a Trump vs the establishment is the best way to do it. Lumping the moderator in with Hillary's campaign will definitely help, he's already started by criticising the mic and the audio feed.

The base is not enough for Trump. He has to appeal to swing voters in the swing states and crying foul against the moderators is not the way to go. Really lame politics.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797

Why would the UK have anything to say about an EU army? None of our business as far as I'm concerned.

Though we should make it clear that should their army get itself involved in a conflict with Vlad, they're on their own...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, I read between the lines too. It's probably why the Telegraph started with Big Sam, and the FA lawyers now probably have a tip off as to what's coming later in the week.

Not good for football, but much better that it be out in the open. Well done to the DT.
    tbh (and I am no fan of BFS) the Telegraph tape seemed a bit of a damp squib where he said it was easy to get round the rules but the only hard evidence seemed to show he'd followed them.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797
    edited September 2016
    Re. Debategate - I'm just sorry Bill didn't run out from behind the set and hit The Donald over the back with a fold up chair, WWF style! :smiley:
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hatchet job on police or hatchet job on the victim?

The Daily Mail seems to be doing both!

At the time that Scott was shot the police did not know who he was.

Surely doesn't matter.

The background is evidence that supports the possibility that he might have been wielding a gun (the police case) and reduces the probability that it was a book (the mother's case).

We still don't know the facts.
  • Options
    JackW said:

MaxPB said:

The base is not enough for Trump. He has to appeal to swing voters in the swing states and crying foul against the moderators is not the way to go. Really lame politics.
    Trump thinks he won the debate, he and his team have praised the moderators. What's up with you ?
  • Options

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Trump thinks he won the debate, he and his team have praised the moderators. What's up with you ?
    Trump has to say he won. Watch the debate, he didn't and he must know that.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

No doubt with a whopping payoff.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Would it not be gross misconduct?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

If the FA has smart lawyers, there should be clauses in his contract that allows for early termination without penalties for bringing his role into disrepute.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Re. Debategate - I'm just sorry Bill didn't run out from behind the set and hit The Donald over the back with a fold up chair, WWF style! :smiley:

It hasn't been called the WWF for about 15 years now.
  • Options
    Clearly the betting market believes Big Sam's on his way out and quite rightly imho - last night when the news broke there was only one bookie offering a "Next England Manager" market, now there are around 7 or 8.
    Surprisingly Alan Pardew is the current favourite. Personally I give him no chance preferring either Gareth Southgate if it's to be an Englishman or Jurgen Klinsman if the FA take a broader approach ... but then what do I know?
  • Options

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Donald has been retweeting voodoo polls from The Drudge Report and Breitbart to make himself feel better. Sad.
  • Options

Clearly the betting market believes Big Sam's on his way out and quite rightly imho - last night when the news broke there was only one bookie offering a "Next England Manager" market, now there are around 7 or 8.
    Surprisingly Alan Pardew is the current favourite. Personally I give him no chance preferring either Gareth Southgate if it's to be an Englishman or Jurgen Klinsman if the FA take a broader approach ... but then what do I know?

What you don't know is who else is on the Telegraph's list.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Bloody better not be. If there's no disrepute clause in the England manager's contract, after all the previous scandals, then someone from the FA should be resigning.
  • Options

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Trump thinks he won the debate shocker ....

I suggest you read the prior posts - MaxPB believes a good strategy is for Team Donald to attack the moderator. I disagree. Although Rudy Giuliani thinks not and suggested that Trump skip the next two debates.
  • Options

How many times does Southgate have to say 'No' :-)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,449

The way things have turned out it is impossible to parody the Labour party anymore.
    How rich are these people again?

A - Paul Mason
    B - John MaoDonnell
    C - Jeremy Corbyn
    D - Dianne Abbott
    E - Jon Lansman

Mason is doing a really good job of impersonating a very stupid plank person.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

If the FA has smart lawyers, there should be clauses in his contract that allows for early termination without penalties for bringing his role into disrepute.
    And if the FA has smart directors, it will ignore the lawyers. The reason for big payoffs isn't to compensate the guy they've sacked but to attract the next manager.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

PPP Polls has it 51-40 to Clinton

What other non Internet voodoo poll swarmed by /pol/ redditors have you seen?
    The PPP poll is interesting.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_PostDebatePoll_92616.pdf

It shows the stark divide between men and women, and between black and white. No surprise there.

But what interested me was that the independents (who are going to decide this) broke decisively for Clinton. See pages 5 and 6.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

And if the FA has smart directors, it will ignore the lawyers. The reason for big payoffs isn't to compensate the guy they've sacked but to attract the next manager.
    There's a big difference between sacking the guy for the crap appearing on the back pages of the newspaper, and sacking him for the crap appearing on the front pages.
  • Options

What you don't know is who else is on the Telegraph's list.
    Mike Bassett?
  • Options
    VERY MUCH ON TOPIC

Katy Perry goes nude for Hillary Clinton as US presidential election race heats up

Perry, 31, has publicly endorsed the democratic nominee on multiple occasions in the past

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/katy-perry-goes-nude-hillary-clinton-us-presidential-election-race-heats-1583522
  • Options
    Hillary won the debate. We know that but who is surprised by it? The question is whether it has persuaded any voters to switch. The only attack that seemed like it might was on Trump's tax returns, where Hillary listed a number of possible explanations, each one presumably tailored to a different demographic.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    On the radio it sounded like a Clinton walkover. Having now seen big chunks of it on TV, still a Clinton win but it doesn't seem quite so decisive, which is interesting. There is something about Trump's brazen confidence that allows him to at least partly get away with the outrageous when you see him saying it, rather than just hearing the ridiculous words.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

MaxPB said:

Trump thinks he won the debate shocker ....

I suggest you read the prior posts - MaxPB believes a good strategy is for Team Donald to attack the moderator. I disagree. Although Rudy Giuliani thinks not and suggested that Trump skip the next two debates.
    That would go down well with the 83% of Americans who think he should do all 3.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I never wonder that question. I wonder why we couldn't do as many subjects as we liked at school. But then I remember - ah, yes! No computers and no internet, having to rely on teachers for information and libraries for books. I have never regretted studying science formally and filling in the gaps of arts, languages and history myself. And making learning a life-long hobby.

Now thanks to Cookie and Hurstllama I have two more books to clutter the house for the effort of just two clicks of the trackpad. I am particularly looking forward to the Oppenheimer book - my (American) wife is constantly telling me how all the British/Irish are genetically identical and we are silly to hang on to our home country identities.

BTW and FWIW, for those interested in anecdotal evidence of a US citizen's response to the debate, the wife (who is anyone but Trump) fell asleep after 40 minutes, was surprised Trump held it together and hated Hillary more after the debate than before. One element in Hillary's favour - she intends to vote Johnson, unless it's close, in which case she will hold her nose and vote Hillary.
  • Options
    From Labour List:
    " Today’s package of rule changes has been voted through by delegates, cheering the Corbynsceptic elements in the party. Kezia Dugdale has announced that she personally will take up the place reserved on the NEC for Scottish Labour."

Probably the most significant decision that the conference will take this week.
This discussion has been closed.