Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s TINA* nightmare.

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Bill Clinton certainly enjoyed last night's debate!
    http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a3862271/bill-clinton-melania-trump-presidential-debate-2016/

Will and Grace election special, Karen comes out for her 'oldest friend' Donald Trump
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBL0C7bx5M
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

@williamglenn It's worth elaborating on my previous post, which was typed on my phone whilst walking, I feel.

Thatcher was forced out as Tory leader and PM by the odious Michael Heseltine, in part because she was seen as insufficiently pro-'Europe'. John Major then entered No. 10 and took us into the ERM. He kept us there well after it became clear that it wasn't working and had to whack interest rates up to silly levels, hurting businesses and homeowners immensely in the process, in order to maintain the peg. This all ended with chaos and turmoil when we crashed out anyway.

That is a crystal clear example of sane government being undermined by Eurofanatics, but not in the way you'd like to think.

Rewriting history there. It was Thatcher as PM who took us into the ERM
    Sorry, right you are. She wasn't enthusiastic about it though, and certainly wasn't there to go to ridiculous lengths to keep us in.
    Thatcher was the great EU Federalist.

1) Campaigned on the Remain side in 1975

2) Signed the Single European Act

3) Took us into the ERM
    1) For a trading agreement, not a political union.

2) ...and regretted it.

3) As FF43 pointed out, there was some economic rationale to that. There was no such rationale to 15% interest rates, that was pure ideology; a milder form of throwing a generation on the scrapheap in the Med to keep the euro alive. Would Thatcher have done what Major did? We'll never know for sure.
    1) You're accusing her of remarkable ignorance.
    2) She deepened the union after having been PM for over 5 years. Not much evidence of regret there.
    3) The domestic rationale was that it gave cover for a harsh regime to target inflation which was successful. Whether Thatcher wouldn't have acted differently during the crisis of 1992 is of purely academic interest.
    1) No, only of being lied to the same as everyone else.

2) She meant it at the time and regretted it later.

3) I accept the first point. Do you see what I meant about what actually happened in 1992 being a case of Eurofanaticism (of the pro- variety) getting in the way of sane government?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@JossiasJessop The live stream start time was a NET :D

How trolled can you get if you're a rocket fanboi !!

Elon's always late. :)

I'm very sceptical about Elon. He's proved me wrong in the past though, and I like his vision.

Someone needs to be doing this. Why? Well, because we can.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

@williamglenn It's worth elaborating on my previous post, which was typed on my phone whilst walking, I feel.

Thatcher was forced out as Tory leader and PM by the odious Michael Heseltine, in part because she was seen as insufficiently pro-'Europe'. John Major then entered No. 10 and took us into the ERM. He kept us there well after it became clear that it wasn't working and had to whack interest rates up to silly levels, hurting businesses and homeowners immensely in the process, in order to maintain the peg. This all ended with chaos and turmoil when we crashed out anyway.

That is a crystal clear example of sane government being undermined by Eurofanatics, but not in the way you'd like to think.

Sorry, right you are. She wasn't enthusiastic about it though, and certainly wasn't there to go to ridiculous lengths to keep us in.

3) Took us into the ERM

2) ...and regretted it.

3) As FF43 pointed out, there was some economic rationale to that. There was no such rationale to 15% interest rates, that was pure ideology; a milder form of throwing a generation on the scrapheap in the Med to keep the euro alive. Would Thatcher have done what Major did? We'll never know for sure.
    2) She deepened the union after having been PM for over 5 years. Not much evidence of regret there.
    3) The domestic rationale was that it gave cover for a harsh regime to target inflation which was successful. Whether Thatcher wouldn't have acted differently during the crisis of 1992 is of purely academic interest.
    Oh come off it, by the end of her reign it was clear she was deeply eurosceptic. No no no. The Bruges speech. Etc

She wanted a trading bloc and single market (so do I) she hated the political stuff (like most Brits).
    By the end of her reign it was clear she was losing her marbles and had delusions of regency.
  • Options

1) You cannot plausibly remain a member of the customs union and have your own trade deals. Enough Leavers have said they want WTO rules rather than remain in the custom unions.

Someone should tell Turkey, which is part of the customs union but has still managed to sign 19 free trade agreements, has 14 under negotiation and 13 planned.

Page 2

Dr Peter Holmes: First, you have to be careful about talking about ‘being in the Customs Union’ as a non-EU country. I do not think that that is a possibility. Andorra, Vatican City, San Merino and Monaco are physically inside it and are effectively part of it, but the only country that is linked to the EU in a Customs Union relationship which is not a member is Turkey. It is not a member of the Customs Union; it is a country that has a Customs Union with the Customs Union. That is quite different, because the coverage of the customs union with Turkey is different from that of the EU Customs Union. . As you point out, it does not
    cover services or agriculture, and, very strikingly, anti-dumping is still possible between the
    EU and Turkey. There was a WTO case some years ago involving relations between India and
    Turkey—I can perhaps send you the details—which highlights the incomplete nature of the
    EU-Turkey Customs Union.

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/eu-internal-market-subcommittee/brexit-future-trade-between-the-uk-and-the-eu/oral/38491.pdf

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

3) Took us into the ERM

2) ...and regretted it.

Counterfactuals are interesting but one has to rely on the facts. Speculatively though...one wonders if early stage Alzheimer's affected her analysis. I genuinely don't know but if nothing else her political faculties had collapsed even before she was defenestrated.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,846
    Pulpstar said:

It's been saying 'starting soon' for seven minutes so far! Grrr
  • Options

Allardyce sacked say Sky Sports News

He must be sick as a parrot right now.
  • Options

1) You cannot plausibly remain a member of the customs union and have your own trade deals. Enough Leavers have said they want WTO rules rather than remain in the custom unions.

Someone should tell Turkey, which is part of the customs union but has still managed to sign 19 free trade agreements, has 14 under negotiation and 13 planned.

Page 2

Dr Peter Holmes: First, you have to be careful about talking about ‘being in the Customs Union’ as a non-EU country. I do not think that that is a possibility. Andorra, Vatican City, San Merino and Monaco are physically inside it and are effectively part of it, but the only country that is linked to the EU in a Customs Union relationship which is not a member is Turkey. It is not a member of the Customs Union; it is a country that has a Customs Union with the Customs Union. That is quite different, because the coverage of the customs union with Turkey is different from that of the EU Customs Union. . As you point out, it does not
    cover services or agriculture, and, very strikingly, anti-dumping is still possible between the
    EU and Turkey. There was a WTO case some years ago involving relations between India and
    Turkey—I can perhaps send you the details—which highlights the incomplete nature of the
    EU-Turkey Customs Union.

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/eu-internal-market-subcommittee/brexit-future-trade-between-the-uk-and-the-eu/oral/38491.pdf

Never argue facts with a lawyer.

Or an engineer. :)
  • Options
    Telegraph saying he offered to resign. Announcement tonight.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

SeanT said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

3) Took us into the ERM

2) ...and regretted it.

Oh come off it, by the end of her reign it was clear she was deeply eurosceptic. No no no. The Bruges speech. Etc

She wanted a trading bloc and single market (so do I) she hated the political stuff (like most Brits).
    By the end of her reign it was clear she was losing her marbles and had delusions of regency.
    When accompanied by her marbles she was great. I can't make head or tail of your 'regency' comments.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Pulpstar said:

I'm very sceptical about Elon. He's proved me wrong in the past though, and I like his vision.

I like the fact that Jeff Bezos is in the background (A bit like Lex Luther) always plotting to outdo him too - when you have as much money as those two then ego must pretty much be the only driver.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Telegraph saying he offered to resign. Announcement tonight.

Sacked. Disgraced. Allowed to bow out for no good reason.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

3) I accept the first point. Do you see what I meant about what actually happened in 1992 being a case of Eurofanaticism (of the pro- variety) getting in the way of sane government?
    She was fully aware of what the EEC was about as was any well-informed person at the time.

Watch Ted Heath here at 1:26:30 from the 1975 campaign - "What really divides us is that those who are opposing this motion are content to remain with the past development and institutions and organisation of the nation state and those on this side are those who want to move forward into a new organisation which is going to have greater success in meeting the needs of its peoples than the nation state has done in the past. That is what clearly divides us."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2jUYryRYII
  • Options
    Omnium said:

SeanT said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

3) Took us into the ERM

2) ...and regretted it.

When accompanied by her marbles she was great. I can't make head or tail of your 'regency' comments.
    Governing as if in place of a monarch.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

SeanT said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

3) Took us into the ERM

2) ...and regretted it.

'We' are a grandmother.
  • Options

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

3) Took us into the ERM

2) ...and regretted it.

Governing as if in place of a monarch.
    We are a grandmother.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I like the fact that Jeff Bezos is in the background (A bit like Lex Luther) always plotting to outdo him too - when you have as much money as those two then ego must pretty much be the only driver.
    I'm not sure Musk is that rich. He has a lot of assets, but that's mainly shares in things like SolarCity and Tesla. If one of those goes down, then he's in trouble. It nearly happened nine or so years ago.

Bezos's money is tied up in Amazon, but that seems much more secure.

Good luck to both of them, though. We need to look outwards as a race.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    Yes, and this is why their are higher stakes to play for than 'soft-Brexit'. We have a chance to be the catalyst to true reform of the EU itself, and should aim for this as the best case outcome of the vote to abandon the status quo.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    SeanT said:

Everyone needs to read that Sarkozy story. Could change everything

It is, of course, what Boris predicted. The EU would return with a better deal.

If nothing else, it shows absolutely unpredictable this is. Entirely dynamic, chaotic. The EU is as divided as the UK.

Which one?
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

If nothing else, it shows absolutely unpredictable this is. Entirely dynamic, chaotic. The EU is as divided as the UK.

Which one?
    Ah, not to worry.. I was searching the thread for Sarkozy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,632
    edited September 2016
    SeanT said:

I still cannot see how an unexit would become politically viable (even though, with a good enough deal, I personally am persuadable - it was the lack of belief the EU was capable of genuine reform because it clearly didn't believe it was needed, even if they occasionally said it was, that drove my feelings of Brexit) even in that situation, but I will hold my hand up and admit to being just plain wrong if the EU as a group does indeed offer a fresh deal - I really don't see how it is in the institution's best interests to cave on that issue, even if they would indeed regret us leaving.

Time is running out though - his 'offer' is surely a bit like Owen Smith's, something he can say knowing that he won't have to act on it as things will have moved on by the time he can?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Allardye GONE
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,846

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure Musk is that rich. He has a lot of assets, but that's mainly shares in things like SolarCity and Tesla. If one of those goes down, then he's in trouble. It nearly happened nine or so years ago.

Bezos's money is tied up in Amazon, but that seems much more secure.

Good luck to both of them, though. We need to look outwards as a race.
    Absolutely. The two of them will also push each other to succeed, as happened with the first space race 70 years ago.

Ooh, starting now.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    SeanT said:
    1) Well that would be a turn-up. Though a) he's not really in a position to offer anything right now, and by the time he is it may be too late, and b) we'll see (or not) what he manages to offer in the face of the French Euro-machine. It could be the compromise between the 52% and the 48% that we need.

2) How have we - in the face of everything going on in the Labour party and the US presidential election - managed to basically devote the last four hours to discussing Brexit?
  • Options
    619 said:

Alistair said:

Trump is now just putting together larger and later collages of the internet voodoo polls on his Twitter now. Genuinely sad.

when obama lost the first debate, he admitted he lost and moved on.

Trump is going crazy on voodo polls, calling a woman too fat in public whilst being obese homself, and teaming up with rudy 'dumped his wife during a live press conference' gulliani to say how clinton is stupid for taking her husband back.

He really hates being shown up publically. and showing his calm temperment
    Nate's 'Now Cast' is back in Hillary's favour, but it's still ridiculously close.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    I'm hearing that Sam Allardyce is the new favourite to host Great British Bake Off.
  • Options
    Allardyce to be next Chelsea manager - perhaps.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    The latest French presidential poll with Sarkozy has it Le Pen 25% Sarkozy 18% Macron 15% Melenchon 15% Hollande 12.5% in round 1.

http://elabe.fr/presidentielle-2017-intentions-de-vote-a-7-mois-scrutin-sondage-elabe-echos-radio-classique/

Juppe narrowly leads Sarkozy 37% to 33% for the LRs nomination though in the latest poll there
    http://www.datapressepremium.com/rmdiff/2008641/Rapport_Ipsos_SopraSteria_EEF2017_Vague6_sept_2016.pdf
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:
    Yes, and this is why their are higher stakes to play for than 'soft-Brexit'. We have a chance to be the catalyst to true reform of the EU itself, and should aim for this as the best case outcome of the vote to abandon the status quo.
    I would happily vote REMAIN if it was a truly reformed Europe. Freedom of Movement would have to be qualified. Brussels' powers restricted.

Can Sarko really deliver that?

If he can, he could save the continent. Quite a prize.
    "Can Sarko really deliver that?"

No.

Sadly.
  • Options

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

3) Took us into the ERM

2) ...and regretted it.

'We' are a grandmother.
    Yo! "We IS a grandmother"! "We are" is American English :)
  • Options
    The key quote from Sarkozy is remarkable in its clarity and common sense.

"I can’t accept to lose Europe’s second-largest economy while we are negotiating with Turkey over its EU membership."

France and the UK are the indispensable Western European democracies. We need to make more of the relationship, whatever the ultimate outcome.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:
    I would happily vote REMAIN if it was a truly reformed Europe. Freedom of Movement would have to be qualified. Brussels' powers restricted.

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mentally the UK has checked out of the EU and simply won't believe any promise of reform. Also it would split the Tory party as the Leadbangers can smell freedom and won't give that up. May is not going to lose her leadership on the off chance that Sarkozy might be doing anything more than just posturing for French political advantage.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

I still cannot see how an unexit would become politically viable (even though, with a good enough deal, I personally am persuadable - it was the lack of belief the EU was capable of genuine reform because it clearly didn't believe it was needed, even if they occasionally said it was, that drove my feelings of Brexit) even in that situation, but I will hold my hand up and admit to being just plain wrong if the EU as a group does indeed offer a fresh deal - I really don't see how it is in the institution's best interests to cave on that issue, even if they would indeed regret us leaving.

Time is running out though - his 'offer' is surely a bit like Owen Smith's, something he can say knowing that he won't have to act on it as things will have moved on by the time he can?
    I can't believe that there wouldn't be a way around 'rules' relating to Article 50 if the EU and Britain at some point in the future wanted to do a deal then they would do it.
    I'm not saying that this is at all likely.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

And the British public too.

If Sarkozy wins the Prez, and if he can persuade Merkel on a reformed EU to which we can sign up -- then this country will have helped shape Europe for the better for the third or fourth occasion in little over a century.

I voted Remain, but I'll gladly wear sack-cloth and ashes if at the end of this, a reformed EU is the outcome.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ..and its not just Allardyce.. more revelations tomorrow and in the coming days.... about other Managers...?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mentally the UK has checked out of the EU and simply won't believe any promise of reform. Also it would split the Tory party as the Leadbangers can smell freedom and won't give that up. May is not going to lose her leadership on the off chance that Sarkozy might be doing anything more than just posturing for French political advantage.
    If May has any sense, she'll be on the phone to Sarko now.

It's called statesmanship.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2016
    O/T: Yay, just got my hands on a new £5 for the first time. They seem to be slightly smaller than before.
  • Options
    It's on.

Watch this. It might be a *moment* of history:
    http://www.spacex.com/mars
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:
    The latest French presidential poll with Sarkozy has it Le Pen 25% Sarkozy 18% Macron 15% Melenchon 15% Hollande 12.5% in round 1.

http://elabe.fr/presidentielle-2017-intentions-de-vote-a-7-mois-scrutin-sondage-elabe-echos-radio-classique/

Juppe narrowly leads Sarkozy 37% to 33% for the LRs nomination though in the latest poll there
    http://www.datapressepremium.com/rmdiff/2008641/Rapport_Ipsos_SopraSteria_EEF2017_Vague6_sept_2016.pdf
    Juppe is too soft on Islamism. I reckon Sarko will get it.
    Sarko is definitely going to get it.
    The mood globally is one of disruption. He'll ride that wave then pivot to beat Le Pen.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

It's in the economic interests of nearly all the member states to prevent Brexit. The small gains from feasting on London are entirely outweighed by the damage to the EU's stability, the threat to trade, the general chaos - and the potential loss of the UK's contributions, financial and otherwise.

What's more, the EU isn't working as it is, and the far right is rising across the continent.

Sarko sees this, and says it. He is quite likely to win the French presidency.

The problem will be the eurocrats, who will hate the idea of giving Britain more, and equally, they will hate the idea of a curb on their powers.
    I can conceive of the member states considering the issue, although I would have thought some would share the eurocrat justifiable fear that to give us more now would be to open themselves up to a catalogue of blackmailing 'out' votes.

Where I struggle is, in the sorts of timeframes we are talking about, such a plan gaining traction, being made and then being taken up on this side - sure, the Tory MPs and vote were more split than the membership, but May hasn't been saying 'Brexit is Brexit' like a malfunctioning automaton for her health.

It is through fear of just such an option, to prevent Brexit, that there will be hell to pay if A50 is not declared early 2017. I'm a Leaver who can accept that a wholly new offer from the EU would be a change of circumstance at least worth pausing our actions on, so might you be, but we are probably a minority. Not least since the main problem has been people believing what the EU and our government might promise, even if it sounds good.

And of course, the EU accepting such a plan involves the EU accepting, genuinely accepting, that it has gone down the wrong path and needs to change direction. But of course they've claimed to acknowledge that they need to change so many times before, and yet when the immediate danger passes out comes the same old EU. Even if we find this idea, should it be taken up, enticing, would it really change anything?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Essexit said:

She was fully aware of what the EEC was about as was any well-informed person at the time.

Watch Ted Heath here at 1:26:30 from the 1975 campaign - "What really divides us is that those who are opposing this motion are content to remain with the past development and institutions and organisation of the nation state and those on this side are those who want to move forward into a new organisation which is going to have greater success in meeting the needs of its peoples than the nation state has done in the past. That is what clearly divides us."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2jUYryRYII
    People - naively perhaps - probably interpreted this kind of thing as pro-international co-operation, not pro-countries gradually being rubbed off the map. Thatcher saw what the EU was about towards the end of her premiership and changed her tune accordingly.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited September 2016
    Well, Sarkozy could propose that whatever terms he is now suggesting would be the deal post UK leaving the EU.

Simple - if we are happy to do whatever he wants - we can do it - but do it outside the EU.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T: Yay, just got my hands on a new £5 for the first time. They seem to be slightly smaller than before.

First Cadbury's Creme Eggs, now Fivers are smaller too? The world is going to hell.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

France have a habit of making offers like that when they are in a tight corner. I recall they asked to join the UK in 1940 with the King becoming king of France restoring his ancient titles and they also tried to join the Commonwealth in the 50s.

Not sure how seriously to take it but certainly an interesting move. Pity the story is behind a firewall.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The current above the fold of RedState.com is hilarious, screenshoted for posterity.

http://i.imgur.com/eC42oIph.png
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Juppe is too soft on Islamism. I reckon Sarko will get it.
    The LRs primary is on 20th November and Sarkozy is certainly gaining on Juppe
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

"Can Sarko really deliver that?"
    No.
    Sadly.
    Agreed. It would require the French Govt, the German Govt, a majority of the rest of the EU govts and the Presidents of the EU bodies to push for it. Too many blocks, fiefdoms and barriers to change. When they chose Juncker they killed of hope of sensible reform for his term in office.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Does statesmanship trump party management and the ultra brigade?
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

If Sarkozy wins the Prez, and if he can persuade Merkel on a reformed EU to which we can sign up -- then this country will have helped shape Europe for the better for the third or fourth occasion in little over a century.

I voted Remain, but I'll gladly wear sack-cloth and ashes if at the end of this, a reformed EU is the outcome.
    Dont expect us to be within it though without an EU version of the Balfour Declaration and statute of Westminster though. May wants to get a Majority in 2020.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Allardye GONE

I'd never heard of him in the first place until yesterday.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I don't think May would be able to sell continued UK membership of the EU. But they could simply disguise continued UK membership of a truly REFORMED EU under a different name - associate membership, special status, etc

Like I said earlier: a fudge.

Indeed, but the article mentions a tighter Eurozone. I do not and the U.K. does not want to be part of the Euro. Happy if that's to be considered "associate membership" with a curtailed commission.
  • Options

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

I can't believe that there wouldn't be a way around 'rules' relating to Article 50 if the EU and Britain at some point in the future wanted to do a deal then they would do it.
    Oh, I can conceive of a fudge where the process is halted somehow. Who's going to say that was illegal, the ECJ 10 years from now?

But to my mind reversing Brexit requires conditions that are mututally exclusive. It has to be far enough down the line that a sclerotic EU is able to come up with such a plan, sell it to us, and for pre-Brexit jitters be so bad that the Leaver core is weakened, but it has to be soon enough that we are not practically out and many will feel committed, in particular politicians committed to the point they cannot back away now (and many are at that stage already).

If Sarkozy can a)win the Republican nomination b) win the French presidency and c) prevent Brexit through a reformed EU, he will surely be the greatest statesmen of our time and one would have thought so amazing he would never have lost to Francois Hollande, Monsieur Flambe, in the first place.
  • Options
    matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes. When they write the history books, no-one says that a PM may have missed a strategic opportunity for the nation but keeping Joe Headbanger on board puts them up with the greats.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2016
    Cookie said:

SeanT said:
    1) Well that would be a turn-up. Though a) he's not really in a position to offer anything right now, and by the time he is it may be too late, and b) we'll see (or not) what he manages to offer in the face of the French Euro-machine. It could be the compromise between the 52% and the 48% that we need.

2) How have we - in the face of everything going on in the Labour party and the US presidential election - managed to basically devote the last four hours to discussing Brexit?
    Sarkozy: well good luck to him at least on the principle ( no idea on the details ). A genuinely reformed EU would've been/would be great. However, I don't think he has a prayer of overcoming the inertia, the almost certain downright opposition of the likes of Juncker, or doing it in a timetable that allows for German elections and us alonst certainly having triggered Art 50 in Q1 next year, so being " out out " by Q1 2019. The EU wasn't interested in reform so Brexit was the result. In the real world Sarkozy is too little too late.

Brexit: is the geopolitical event of probably the last 50 or even 70 years in the UK. The Labour Party is a side show in a stripey booth with an old man, with sausages, a crocodile, and a rolling pin.
  • Options
    matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It can do, in moments of great national, or continental, crisis.

If there is an opportunity to make Europe safer for freedom, and safer for prosperity --- we should grab it, and who gives a shit what Leadson thinks?

May would go down in history.

To be clear, this is all highly unlikely.
    But it's tantalising.
  • Options

matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes. When they write the history books, no-one says that a PM may have missed a strategic opportunity for the nation but keeping Joe Headbanger on board puts them up with the greats.
    How big is the Conservatives' majority?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    SeanT said:

Can't get behind FT paywall to see details, but I would take a LOT of convincing that this presages anything meaningful, and even more that the public could be persuaded to do a U-turn (let alone the very large Brexit faction within the Parliamentary Conservative Party.)

The European Commission and all of the member state governments have already accepted we are going, and Brexit can only increase the strength of France in the architecture of the continuing EU. The UK was an ally of Germany, Holland and the Nordics in the (relatively) open market side of the economic argument. Britain's removal significantly increases the strength of the somewhat more protectionist and less austere Latin bloc.
  • Options
    matt said:

matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

How big is the Conservatives' majority?
    How soon is the General Election?
  • Options

matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

How Boris was slated by remainiacs for suggesting exactly something like this would happen in February lol.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Oh, I can conceive of a fudge where the process is halted somehow. Who's going to say that was illegal, the ECJ 10 years from now?

But to my mind reversing Brexit requires conditions that are mututally exclusive. It has to be far enough down the line that a sclerotic EU is able to come up with such a plan, sell it to us, and for pre-Brexit jitters be so bad that the Leaver core is weakened, but it has to be soon enough that we are not practically out and many will feel committed, in particular politicians committed to the point they cannot back away now (and many are at that stage already).

If Sarkozy can a)win the Republican nomination b) win the French presidency and c) prevent Brexit through a reformed EU, he will surely be the greatest statesmen of our time and one would have thought so amazing he would never have lost to Francois Hollande, Monsieur Flambe, in the first place.
    Mind you if the EU ends up losing free movement from the UK but gaining free movement from Turkey I can't see too many EU citizens being too satisfied with that deal
  • Options

matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

leadership on the off chance that Sarkozy might be doing anything more than just posturing for French political advantage.

How Boris was slated by remainiacs for suggesting exactly something like this would happen in February lol.
    And other Leavers. Though let us not forget 'the EU' has not offered anything of the sort yet, and in fact quite the opposite, so it may well yet prove to have been a silly suggestion, merely one that a potential candidate has taken up.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245

SeanT said:

Can't get behind FT paywall to see details, but I would take a LOT of convincing that this presages anything meaningful, and even more that the public could be persuaded to do a U-turn (let alone the very large Brexit faction within the Parliamentary Conservative Party.)

The European Commission and all of the member state governments have already accepted we are going, and Brexit can only increase the strength of France in the architecture of the continuing EU. The UK was an ally of Germany, Holland and the Nordics in the (relatively) open market side of the economic argument. Britain's removal significantly increases the strength of the somewhat more protectionist and less austere Latin bloc.
    Jesus I don't want to go back. We have left. That would be saying goodbye to everyone at the party and then going back for your coat.

x 1,000,000.

We are leaving. But it is wholly legitimate to discuss what flavour of leaving we are going to get, and why.
  • Options

SeanT said:

I cannot copy and paste the salient details, but it talks of a curtailed commission, a no to Turkey accession, a tighter Eurozone, and a reformed Schengen.

I also agree with SeanT that it's not actually in any country's long term strategic interests for Britain to exit.

Yes, France becomes relatively more influential, but within a relatively less powerful bloc. The big game is global stature and clout.

Also, the EU is dysfunctional; everybody knows it; and if someone like Sarkozy doesn't call for it, then eventually a Le Pen will.

I don't much like Sarkozy, but he is a Gaullist, and they're quite good at getting the big picture.
  • Options
    Aside from anything else, I'm surprised while trying to win the Republican nomination Sarkozy would even think to suggest he would try to prevent Brexit - is it really an issue of concern even among the French right that will win him votes? Is it just to balance out his comments on Calais?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    alex. said:
    Yes, we leave and then bugger the EU by having them join it. It's our way of getting Eastern Europe to leave of their own volition!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Despite the talk from Sarkozy, the only deal I would accept would be a devolved EU back into the EEC before Maastricht, minus the Commission which should be abolished.

Effectively a return to the status before 1992 but without the pressure group in Brussels.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Jesus I don't want to go back. We have left. That would be saying goodbye to everyone at the party and then going back for your coat.
    I don't think that analogy quite works - it is very reasonable to go back if you left your coat behind.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Aside from anything else, I'm surprised while trying to win the Republican nomination Sarkozy would even think to suggest he would try to prevent Brexit - is it really an issue of concern even among the French right that will win him votes? Is it just to balance out his comments on Calais?

It is more in tune with his demands to end Schengen as it now is, reform free movement and take a tough line on immigration. A Sarkozy v Le Pen run off would be ideal for May
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He's juxtaposing it with pursuing accession talks with Turkey which he regards as madness. Framing it as, "Do you want an EU fit for the Brits or fit for the Turks?" is a way to concentrate minds.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

I don't think that analogy quite works - it is very reasonable to go back if you left your coat behind.
    There are certain times and circumstances and manners of leaving when it's better to give the coat up.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:
    I would ha

leadershipolitical advantage.

Yes. When m up with the greats.
    And other Leavers. Though let us not forget 'the EU' has not offered anything of the sort yet, and in fact quite the opposite, so it may well yet prove to have been a silly suggestion, merely one that a potential candidate has taken up.
    He's not just any old European politico tho, is he?

There's a very good chance he will be French president by next May. The second most powerful politician in the entire EU.
    Not worthless, but still not of huge worth if the rest are not amendable, particularly if May and others are pressed into saying they won't be considering any such revised deal.
  • Options
    No suprise, the SNP are way more corrupt that even scottish Labour.

When would the by-election be, assuming a conviction ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

leadership on the off chance that Sarkozy might be doing anything more than just posturing for French political advantage.

If he told Junckers and co in no uncertain terms that if they didnt agree he would do what his 50s predecessor wanted to do ie leave the EU, join the Commonwealth and set up a Commonwealth free trade area with Britain they would have little choice.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited September 2016
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

It's also fair to go back if a depressing party with no music suddenly turns into a coke-fuelled orgy with lots of nice wine
    Sarkozy might bring the coke, but Merkel will confine it to the bathroom, not off the hookers tits which is what we want.

The idea that the EU can be reformed is for the birds.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Interesting from this morning's Torygraph:

"With Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and the London boroughs among the Labour authorities that will have all out local elections in May 2018, there will be a ripple effect. Selections for those contests will take place in summer 2017. At which time, members who have joined the Labour Party in support of Mr Corbyn over the last two years will be eligible to vote, including those blocked by the High Court in August.

It is for this reason that many moderate Labour leaders are now working on the assumption that they and their cabinets will be deselected. Many other Labour councillors are simply planning to walk away. It will be the Momentum wing of the Labour Party that fills the gap.

Couple that with the political polarisation of the country post-Brexit, lack of information about who runs councils and lack of engagement and turn out for local elections, and it is highly likely that areas with a strong Labour vote will turn out Labour councils anyway.

We could therefore see Corbynites taking over town halls as early as May next year and leading some of our major cities by 2018."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/how-jeremy-corbyns-followers-could-seize-control-of-your-town-ha/

With all the talk of the ructions at the top of the Labour Party and in Parliament, the effect of leftist radicalisation on local government has been somewhat overlooked. It's entirely possible, perhaps likely, that Loony Left councils will be back before long and itching to pick fights with the Government. The litany of profligacy and of extremist and politically correct absurdities that will subsequently be revealed to a horrified wider public may help to increase the Con/Lab gap in the national opinion polls even further - not to mention offering Theresa May the chance to act tough and take a free swing at hapless amateur revolutionaries all over the Labour heartlands.

It looks like Labour is going to keep on eviscerating and slowly torturing itself to death for the whole of the rest of this Parliament. There may not be enough Champagne in the country to keep the needs of Tory HQ and the Local Associations supplied by the time this is all over.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Speedy said:

Despite the talk from Sarkozy, the only deal I would accept would be a devolved EU back into the EEC before Maastricht, minus the Commission which should be abolished.

Effectively a return to the status before 1992 but without the pressure group in Brussels.

Sounds reasonable- would need freedom of movement tweaking for the realities of 21st century ease if travel and wildly different wage rates in different countries too. We both know it'll never happen, of course, because it's heresy to "ever closer union", but sounds reasonable nevertheless.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    >Yes, we leave and then bugger the EU by having them join it. It's our way of getting Eastern Europe to leave of their own volition!

I don't think the EU needs any outside help to achieve a state self-buggeration!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

For the laughs, I'd like to see an MP convicted and sentenced to less than 12 months, and follow the letter of the rules by not .

Also, I like how Glascow East is described as a 'key battleground' from 2015. SNP majority of 10000, if that's a battle it was one like Agincourt. Or Cannae.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

For the laughs, I'd like to see an MP convicted and sentenced to less than 12 months, and follow the letter of the rules by not .

Also, I like how Glascow East is described as a 'key battleground' from 2015. SNP majority of 10000, if that's a battle it was one like Agincourt. Or Cannae.
    Amazingly Labour had a 10k majority in 2010!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Speedy said:

She has an interestingly controversial lawyer in the person of Aamer Anwar, formerly of the Stop the War Coalition parish.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

There are certain times and circumstances and manners of leaving when it's better to give the coat up.
    Well sure, if you stumbled out drunk and broke a window maybe, but this scenario involved saying goodbye, so I think the circumstances were amicable.

I demand total applicability in all analogies.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Could the Conservatives come second this time?
  • Options

If he told Junckers and co in no uncertain terms that if they didnt agree he would do what his 50s predecessor wanted to do ie leave the EU, join the Commonwealth and set up a Commonwealth free trade area with Britain they would have little choice.

I fully support that idea, we can have 2 major free trade areas in europe which would compete with each other to see who is best.

We can name ours the European Economic Community and see the EU froth with our more succesful system (and trolling).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

It's also fair to go back if a depressing party with no music suddenly turns into a coke-fuelled orgy with lots of nice wine
    Sarkozy might bring the coke, but Merkel will confine it to the bathroom, not off the hookers tits which is what we want.

Probably, Eastern Europe may also veto it but it does show France at least is willing to be flexible on freedom of movement and if France why not Germany too with the growth of the Afd, or Holland with the rise of Wilders etc
  • Options

"With Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and the London boroughs among the Labour authorities that will have all out local elections in May 2018, there will be a ripple effect. Selections for those contests will take place in summer 2017. At which time, members who have joined the Labour Party in support of Mr Corbyn over the last two years will be eligible to vote, including those blocked by the High Court in August.

It is for this reason that many moderate Labour leaders are now working on the assumption that they and their cabinets will be deselected. Many other Labour councillors are simply planning to walk away. It will be the Momentum wing of the Labour Party that fills the gap.

Couple that with the political polarisation of the country post-Brexit, lack of information about who runs councils and lack of engagement and turn out for local elections, and it is highly likely that areas with a strong Labour vote will turn out Labour councils anyway.

We could therefore see Corbynites taking over town halls as early as May next year and leading some of our major cities by 2018."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/how-jeremy-corbyns-followers-could-seize-control-of-your-town-ha/

With all the talk of the ructions at the top of the Labour Party and in Parliament, the effect of leftist radicalisation on local government has been somewhat overlooked. It's entirely possible, perhaps likely, that Loony Left councils will be back before long and itching to pick fights with the Government. The litany of profligacy and of extremist and politically correct absurdities that will subsequently be revealed to a horrified wider public may help to increase the Con/Lab gap in the national opinion polls even further - not to mention offering Theresa May the chance to act tough and take a free swing at hapless amateur revolutionaries all over the Labour heartlands.

It looks like Labour is going to keep on eviscerating and slowly torturing itself to death for the whole of the rest of this Parliament. There may not be enough Champagne in the country to keep the needs of Tory HQ and the Local Associations supplied by the time this is all over.

I warned about this the other day.
    Shits and giggles if you're Tory HQ, but rather depressing if a bunch of Trots seize control of your local city council.

Thank sweet jesus for the coalition's education reforms.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

For kle:

It's a real test for May. It would be a failure of statecraft not to keep the door open to such an offer: here's the likely President of France saying, Yes, Britain, you CAN have your cake and eat it.

And yet the hardcore sceptics in her party will turn on her if she looks amenable.

Incidentally this blows out the water the idea the EU won't negotiate before A50 is triggered. You don't get a much bigger negotiation than the probable next president of France offering an entirely new EU after a new Treaty

True enough. And though I would have to know more details of a new deal before I could say I would support it, it would be very interesting to see if May were strong and able enough to at least hear it out.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Well sure, if you stumbled out drunk and broke a window maybe, but this scenario involved saying goodbye, so I think the circumstances were amicable.

I demand total applicability in all analogies.
    :smile:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited September 2016
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Silvio Berlusconi is running the EU renegotiations with us???
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Probably, Eastern Europe may also veto it but it does show France at least is willing to be flexible on freedom of movement and if France why not Germany too with the growth of the Afd, or Holland with the rise of Wilders etc
    No reason for Eastern Europe to veto.
    He proposes reforming Schengen, not FOM. I rather think they'd be for it, it it means controlling movement of refugees properly.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Wise advice.
    Been in one or two of those myself.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

No reason for Eastern Europe to veto.
    He proposes reforming Schengen, not FOM. I rather think they'd be for it, it it means controlling movement of refugees properly.
    Though if no FOM reform is offered I cannot see the UK electorate agreeing, Merkel too needs to agree to any Schengen reform
  • Options

I warned about this the other day.
    Shits and giggles if you're Tory HQ, but rather depressing if a bunch of Trots seize control of your local city council.

Thank sweet jesus for the coalition's education reforms.
    On the contrary. If thatcher had not done things like rate capping and abolishing the metropolitan councils the loony left would have ensured a continuous Tory government from then to now.

Not much fun if you live in the Loony Left Wing Borough of Lambeth or wherever but, paraphrasing Lenin some very useful rope to let the useful (to Tories) idiots of the loony left metaphorically play with on the stairs and end up hanging themselves on the bannister.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Could the Conservatives come second this time?
    In Glasgow East ?
    If Kezia Dugdale selects the Labour candidate and Corbyn stays away they might.
  • Options
    Big Sam gone....Wayne Rooney will be devastated.
  • Options

kle4 said:

matt said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:
    I would happily vote REMAIN if it was a truly reformed Europe. Freedom of Movement would have to be qualified.

Of course we did not actually join the EEC/EU in the first place but EFTA. We were one of the founder members of EFTA along with Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Sweden and Austria. Interestingly, though a majority of those nations have now joined the EU, a majority are still not in the Eurozone
This discussion has been closed.