Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump winning the online, unscientific, polling

13»

Comments

• foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FF43 said:

Fascinating delve into FiveThirtyEight's several banned polling companies. The allegation (and also here) is that some companies aren't just carrying out voodoo polls but are fabricating their data. Apparently when humans invent spurious data they are bad at randomising it, making it detectable by statistical analysis.

Indeed when you look at Gregor Mendels work on genetics it is clear that he embelished his results, they are too perfect to be random.

http://andrewgelman.com/2012/08/08/gregor-mendels-suspicious-data/
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545

FF43 said:

Voodoo or not, 1.6 million is an impressive number of responses

You realise you could write a script to automate responses....
    Do you think Time and CNBC told their advertisers that those weren't real eye balls that viewed their banner ads. 1.6 million is a lot of click bait.

(TBF, we don't know if those websites didn't actually filter out the bots effectively. That's supposition)
  • Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited September 2016
    Jobabob said:

taffys said:

''The support from ostensibly sane and intelligent posters on here for Trump really is stunning. ''

I don;t think many on here really support Trump, or like him. Whether he'll win is a another matter, however.

Agreed.

But there is a part of me that would think it utterly hilarious if Alf Garnet and Hattie Harman were running for Mayor of London and Alf won, because it would so enrage the do gooders, self important and self righteous.

There is also a part of me that supported Wimbledon the jumped up amateurs in the cup final against Liverpool the pros with unlimited expertise and resources even though Wimbledon wernt much better than a bunch of thugs because they were the unfashionable underdog who many despised.

This US election presses those buttons.
    You do realise this is an election for the most powerful person in the world?

You want Trump to win, nevermind this bullshit smokescreen about "do gooders".
    To be honest, I dont actually know who I want to win. But my starting point is that the thought of Hattie Harmans sister in arms in the white house makes me feel that anything short of Hitler or Mussolini would be better.

I would say Trump, but Im not sure that he is not a little too close to the Godwin end of the scale for comfort.

Fortunately he hasnt got their charisma or he would walk it.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/09/exclusive-shami-chakrabarti-set-become-shadow-attorney-general

"Shami Chakrabarti, who recently became a Labour peer and chaired the party's anti-Semitism inquiry, is set to become shadow attorney general, I can reveal. The barrister and former Liberty director "wants to do more" and the "gig is a no brainer," a source said. Her slated brief has been unfilled since Karl Turner's resignation in June."

Shameless Shami gets another cheap bauble. That's nice...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

619 said:

taffys said:

''I'd guess that his yank colleagues were feigning gloom at the prospect of a Trump presidency to avoid awkwardness with a Limey pinko. ''

Many a true word said in Jest. There's an important point here. Some posters would rather completely ignore the possibility of a 'shy' Trump vote - I think that's extremely unwise.

the shy trump votes arent the white working class. they are the white educated class. what does he offer them clinton doesnt? esp with obama helping them?
    It is not the 'shy' voters but their likelihood to vote which is key and polls of likely voters may underestimate the white working class votes for Trump as EU ref polls did for Leave
    Except they didn't. Most polls in the run-up to the referendum had small leads for Leave. It's true that Populus had a schocker though.

Five thirty eight have an article today on whether the polls are wrong and have looked at the prospect of a "shy Trump" effect, concluding it is unlikely.
    Populus, Comres, Yougov, Mori, Survation, ORB all had Remain ahead in their final polls. Only Opinium, TNS and BMG and ICM had Leave ahead
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum
    With 20% voting by post two or three weeks beforehand you cannot judge the pollsters by final polls anymore. You've got to look at the whole period from when voting actually started and in the final 3 weeks there wee more LEAVE lead polls than REMAIN ones.

Some pollsters do include those who have already voted in their sample so that is not always the case. Even if that did have some effect Populus on their website made clear their biggest mistake was underestimating the number of blue collar Eurosceptics and white working class voters who would turn out to vote in the referendum compared to the last general election

http://www.populus.co.uk/2016/06/populus-published-poll/
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited September 2016
    The assistant manager of a Championship football club has been filmed accepting a £5,000 cash “bung” after agreeing to help a fake Far Eastern firm which wanted to profit from transfers.

Tommy Wright, who works for Barnsley FC, accepted a bundle of £20 notes handed to him in an envelope during a meeting in Leeds last month.

In return, he agreed to help the agent sign up Barnsley players, and to recommend that the club sign other players represented by the consortium. He would also look out for players at other clubs who the firm could approach.

Mr Wright, who denies wrongdoing, was suspended by Barnsley last night after The Daily Telegraph made the club aware of what had happened.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, the manager of Queens Park Rangers, another Championship side, was filmed agreeing to represent the same firm by flying to the Far East to talk to investors for £55,000 a time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/28/exclusive-the-corruption-at-the-top-of-the-championship/
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Alistair said:

It's the most magical time of the month - Trump campaign shake-up time

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/781215486692524032

If Trump ditches Conway he's a fucking idiot.

Trump is the one hurting his own campaign, since he hired Bannon and Conway his numbers went up almost everyday until the debate.

It's Trump's creation that he is so unpopular for about a year, that customers avoid him.

And why is he unpopular ? Because he comes off on TV as someone who is a stupid raving lunatic.

Even I can do a better job at Trump's place managing public opinion, take birtherism for example:

All that Trump had to say was that he was planning to run in 2011 and hired some people to do research about Obama, and they started from where Hillary left, in the end he abandoned his 2012 run because Obama got Bin Laden and he thought it was a lost cause, and he didn't want to talk about it because it was a failure and he doesn't like failing.

Pure, simple and sounds true.
    In less than 20 seconds he could have solved a problem that is dogging him for days.
    edited September 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On topic: Good editorial move given it's a betting site. @foxinsoxuk I'm amazed at the globalising Brexit/Trump axis on here. Trump is talking about protectionism and a trade war. He couldn't have been clearer in the debate. I can't think of a worse international environment to launch a globalising Brexit than a Trump presidency.

It would be a trade war against China and Mexico, not the UK and of course he has little time for the EU either. However I did say a Trump win and a Democratic Congress to tone down the prospect of a full-scale trade war
    Congress has a Republican majority, and any scenario where Trump wins, that is likely to increase.

http://www.270towin.com/2016-house-election/

So a Trump restrained by a Democratic Congrees is not going to happen, though a Clinton Presidency restrained by a Republican Congress is likely.

Worth noting that any Trump Trade war with the EU will also be against us as for at least the first two years of a Trump presidency we will be in the EU. That delay in A50 may cost us dearly...
    I did not say it was likely to happen, just that if it did happen it would be the best result for the UK. Trump will not be launching any trade wars against the EU because he will be too bust launching them against China and Mexico, though as far as the UK is concerned he is more likely to do a free trade deal with the UK without sending us to the back of the queue behind the EU as Hillary would, though as you suggest a GOP Congress would hopefully press the UK's case given a number of Republican Congressmen backed Brexit
    Trump cannot put us in the front of the queue while we are in the EU, even in the unlikely event of him wanting to do so.

The EU balance of trade with the USA is about $150 billion per year in manufactured goods in favour of the EU, with a modest positive balance in services too.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c0003.html

Trump tarriffs to protect rustbelt industries are going to hit us too. Not least because for at least the first two years of a Trump Presidency we are going to be in the EU.
    We will be out of the EU by 2019, when Trump will still be in the White House. Our main surplus with the US is in services, not manufactured goods which would compete with rustbelt industries
  • weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    FF43 said:

Fascinating delve into FiveThirtyEight's several banned polling companies. The allegation (and also here) is that some companies aren't just carrying out voodoo polls but are fabricating their data. Apparently when humans invent spurious data they are bad at randomising it, making it detectable by statistical analysis.

Yes it's well known - and often used to detect fraudulent transactions since humans tend to think that randomness = uniformity and avoid clustering.

The most common way of detecting fraud is to note the 1st digit of the transaction - with humans producing fraudulent figures it will be evenly spread between 1 and 9 whereas in fact if it is genuine there will be far more transactions beginning with a 1 (100 - 199) (about 30%) than a 2(18%) or 3 (12%) etc.

(To understand this - suppose a company sold a widget at £100 and increased its price by 10% a year.

100 : 110: 121: 133.1: 146.41 : 161.05, 177.16: 194.87 = 8 years with a 1
    214.36 235.79 : 259.37: 285.31 = 4 years with a 2
    313.84: 345.23: 379.75 = 3 years with a 3
    417.72: 459.50 = 2 years with a 4
    505.44 : 555.99 = 2 years with a 5
    611.59: 672.75 = 2 years with a 6
    740.02 = 1 year with a 7
    814.03: 895.43 = 2 years with an 8
    984.97 = 1 year with a 9
    1083.47 - back to a 1 again (for 7 years)

SO a 1 is first of 8/25 years etc
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    On Topic are we still allowed to mention Marie Curie

Gets coat
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37493165

Pepe the frog declared a hate symbol.
  • The assistant manager of a Championship football club has been filmed accepting a £5,000 cash “bung” after agreeing to help a fake Far Eastern firm which wanted to profit from transfers.

Tommy Wright, who works for Barnsley FC, accepted a bundle of £20 notes handed to him in an envelope during a meeting in Leeds last month.

In return, he agreed to help the agent sign up Barnsley players, and to recommend that the club sign other players represented by the consortium. He would also look out for players at other clubs who the firm could approach.

Mr Wright, who denies wrongdoing, was suspended by Barnsley last night after The Daily Telegraph made the club aware of what had happened.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, the manager of Queens Park Rangers, another Championship side, was filmed agreeing to represent the same firm by flying to the Far East to talk to investors for £55,000 a time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/28/exclusive-the-corruption-at-the-top-of-the-championship/

"I'm not doing this for myself" (he says after pocketing £5k and with another £5k on the way)...
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On topic: Good editorial move given it's a betting site. @foxinsoxuk I'm amazed at the globalising Brexit/Trump axis on here. Trump is talking about protectionism and a trade war. He couldn't have been clearer in the debate. I can't think of a worse international environment to launch a globalising Brexit than a Trump presidency.

It would be a trade war against China and Mexico, not the UK and of course he has little time for the EU either. However I did say a Trump win and a Democratic Congress to tone down the prospect of a full-scale trade war
    Congress has a Republican majority, and any scenario where Trump wins, that is likely to increase.

So a Trump restrained by a Democratic Congrees is not going to happen, though a Clinton Presidency restrained by a Republican Congress is likely.

Worth noting that any Trump Trade war with the EU will also be against us as for at least the first two years of a Trump presidency we will be in the EU. That delay in A50 may cost us dearly...
    I did not say it was likely to happen, just that if it did happen it would be the best result for the UK. Trump will not be launching any trade wars against the EU because he will be too bust launching them against China and Mexico, though as far as the UK is concerned he is more likely to do a free trade deal with the UK without sending us to the back of the queue behind the EU as Hillary would, though as you suggest a GOP Congress would hopefully press the UK's case given a number of Republican Congressmen backed Brexit
    Trump cannot put us in the front of the queue while we are in the EU, even in the unlikely event of him wanting to do so.

The EU balance of trade with the USA is about $150 billion per year in manufactured goods in favour of the EU, with a modest positive balance in services too.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c0003.html

Trump tarriffs to protect rustbelt industries are going to hit us too. Not least because for at least the first two years of a Trump Presidency we are going to be in the EU.
    We will be out of the EU by 2019, when Trump will still be in the White House. Our main surplus with the US is in services, not manufactured goods which would compete with rustbelt industries
    We may well still be in the EU and affected by Trumps tarriffs well into the final year of his presidency, and indeed longer in anything short of hard Brexit.

Trump will be a disaster for Brexit Britain.
  • On topic: what is Donald Trump's PB handle?
  • Sky sports saying embargoed Telegraph story is to be released at 10.00 pm to media
  • JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Jobabob said:

Things are getting very heated here for an election that none of us get to vote in.

If Trump does win there wont be enough popcorn in the world. The Grauniad will be a keep forever collectors item (assuming any copies last the day witbout spontaneously combusting).

The support from ostensibly sane and intelligent posters on here for Trump really is stunning.
    Given that both candidates are unfit to be President, it's no wonder that the one who will provide more entertainment is getting some support.
    As unfashionable a view as it is on PBTrump.com - I think Hillary will make a great president. And, rather than being entertaining, I think having a straight-up racist in charge of the United States is actually a fucking waking nightmare. But you fill your boots lad. Enjoy.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37493165

It is this sort of nonsense that will give Trump victory if he manages to win.
  • Sky sports saying embargoed Telegraph story is to be released at 10.00 pm to media

Its already up....

Sky sports saying embargoed Telegraph story is to be released at 10.00 pm to media

Jimmy F-H!!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

taffys said:

''Especially when you dont actually get to vote and can just laugh at their impotent rage while not feeling guilty that you might have voted for a nutter. ''

Given the US is a giant super tanker of a country its tough to turn around, what would Trump do in four years....REALLY?? Not much, lets face it. Most Presidents run out of momentum after 18 months.

Do you think Corbyn will run out of Momentum after 18 months?
    West Wing quote -

"LEO: Okay. Well, let's start by reframing the question. Forget about a four-year
    term. The Presidency is 18 months. That's your window. After that, there's
    midterms. No one on the Hill's got time to do business with you. They're
    too busy getting reelected. Then, suddenly, you're running again."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37493165

" 'That cartoon frog is sinister'

Mrs Clinton's team duly released a post titled "Donald Trump, Pepe the frog, and white supremacists: an explainer" claiming, "that cartoon frog is more sinister than you might realize". "

I have the sudden itch to post cartoon frog pictures.
  • On topic: what is Donald Trump's PB handle?

Cromwell
  • JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    weejonnie said:

FF43 said:

Yes it's well known - and often used to detect fraudulent transactions since humans tend to think that randomness = uniformity and avoid clustering.

The most common way of detecting fraud is to note the 1st digit of the transaction - with humans producing fraudulent figures it will be evenly spread between 1 and 9 whereas in fact if it is genuine there will be far more transactions beginning with a 1 (100 - 199) (about 30%) than a 2(18%) or 3 (12%) etc.

(To understand this - suppose a company sold a widget at £100 and increased its price by 10% a year.

100 : 110: 121: 133.1: 146.41 : 161.05, 177.16: 194.87 = 8 years with a 1
    214.36 235.79 : 259.37: 285.31 = 4 years with a 2
    313.84: 345.23: 379.75 = 3 years with a 3
    417.72: 459.50 = 2 years with a 4
    505.44 : 555.99 = 2 years with a 5
    611.59: 672.75 = 2 years with a 6
    740.02 = 1 year with a 7
    814.03: 895.43 = 2 years with an 8
    984.97 = 1 year with a 9
    1083.47 - back to a 1 again (for 7 years)

SO a 1 is first of 8/25 years etc
    Great post

Jimmy F-H!!
    Again....£55k...the guy is either incredibly greedy and / or should have millions in the bank.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,233

These polls shouldn't be ignored. They should be explained.

See next post
    FF43 said:

It might be one person running one small piece of Javascript with a 1.6 million loop on it. It'd take less than five minutes to run, at a guess
    Ishmael_X said:

we can assume that the pollsters have some kind of check in place to weed out gross cases of multiple submissions.

You can't assume that. They have no check in place at all. Literally none.
    Ishmael_X said:

these polls have an information value higher than zero.

Nope, they're less than zero. You believe them, you get stupider.
    Tommy Wright suspended by Barnsley
    It is, this is the content:

Dear foxinsoxuk

Britain needs real change.

Theresa May could call an election at any time — and we will be ready.

In speech after speech at our Labour conference this week we have heard that although the occupant of Number 10 Downing Street has changed, the Tories haven't. Divisive grammar school plans; an NHS in crisis; dithering over Brexit; public services under threat.

Only Labour offers real change.

Today, at conference, I set out the framework of a better and more equal Britain. You can watch my speech here:

Watch my speech
    Modern, properly funded education. Decent transport infrastructure. A future for the NHS. A National Investment Bank that will create a high-tech, high-skill economy. This is the kind of change Britain deserves and needs.

The central task of the whole Labour Party is to rebuild trust and support, to unite to win the next General Election, and to form the next government. That is the government I am determined to lead - to win power that will change Britain for the better.

Labour is now on campaign footing: ready with an agenda that will bring the country together and I know we are all dedicated to achieving it.

Thank you for all your support and help. Working together we will deliver real change.

Jeremy Corbyn MP
    Leader of the Labour Party

More people have joined our party in the last 20 months than in the previous 20 years. Now is the time to join our growing movement.
    Join today

To manage your email preferences or unsubscribe from Labour party emails please click here. We won't pass on your email address to anyone else: see our privacy policy. Reproduced from an email sent by the Labour Party, promoted by Iain McNicol on behalf of the Labour Party both at Southside, 105 Victoria Street, London SW1E 6QT.

• Tommy Wright suspended by Barnsley

No idea why...he wasn't doing it for himself...he was doing it for the club ;-)
    So far Leicester is not on the front pages, so last year's surprise is still a surprise.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    I wonder how many of these chaps will pretend regret but blame the entrapment, like Allardyce.
  • DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2016

FF43 said:

Indeed when you look at Gregor Mendels work on genetics it is clear that he embelished his results, they are too perfect to be random.

http://andrewgelman.com/2012/08/08/gregor-mendels-suspicious-data/
    Poor old Mendel didn't know about the chi-squared test. Nowadays a fabricator of data in the scientific world would have to be on the ball where random variation was concerned, to get past the peer review.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

It is, this is the content:

Dear foxinsoxuk

Britain needs real change.

Theresa May could call an election at any time — and we will be ready.

In speech after speech at our Labour conference this week we have heard that although the occupant of Number 10 Downing Street has changed, the Tories haven't. Divisive grammar school plans; an NHS in crisis; dithering over Brexit; public services under threat.

Only Labour offers real change.

Today, at conference, I set out the framework of a better and more equal Britain. You can watch my speech here:

Watch my speech
    Modern, properly funded education. Decent transport infrastructure. A future for the NHS. A National Investment Bank that will create a high-tech, high-skill economy. This is the kind of change Britain deserves and needs.

The central task of the whole Labour Party is to rebuild trust and support, to unite to win the next General Election, and to form the next government. That is the government I am determined to lead - to win power that will change Britain for the better.

Labour is now on campaign footing: ready with an agenda that will bring the country together and I know we are all dedicated to achieving it.

Thank you for all your support and help. Working together we will deliver real change.

Jeremy Corbyn MP
    Leader of the Labour Party

More people have joined our party in the last 20 months than in the previous 20 years. Now is the time to join our growing movement.
    Join today

To manage your email preferences or unsubscribe from Labour party emails please click here. We won't pass on your email address to anyone else: see our privacy policy. Reproduced from an email sent by the Labour Party, promoted by Iain McNicol on behalf of the Labour Party both at Southside, 105 Victoria Street, London SW1E 6QT.

You can get that "no content" thing in the iPhone mail program if the connection drops while receiving data.
  • kle4 said:

I wonder how many of these chaps will pretend regret but blame the entrapment, like Allardyce.

Bradley Wiggins must be overjoyed
    edited September 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Trump cannot put us in the front o

We will be
    We may well still be in the EU and affected by Trumps tarriffs well into the final year of his presidency, and indeed longer in anything short of hard Brexit.

Trump will be a disaster for Brexit Britain.
    May will almost certainly have taken us out of the EU by 2019 and certainly by the time of the next general election when Trump will still be president. Trump will not be a disaster for Brexit Britain, Hillary Clinton with a Democratic Congress putting the EU first and effectively ignoring Brexit Britain could well be. Hillary with a GOP Congress would be manageable but we would still have to fight to get our voice heard
    edited September 2016
    Speedy said:

So far Leicester is not on the front pages, so last year's surprise is still a surprise.
    Tommy Wright scored 22 goals for Leicester between 89 and 92. He was quite a speedy winger as I recall.

We had a second Tommy Wright about a decade ago too, who played striker, but wasn't very good. He got a recycled chant though.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Things are getting very heated here for an election that none of us get to vote in.

If Trump does win there wont be enough popcorn in the world. The Grauniad will be a keep forever collectors item (assuming any copies last the day witbout spontaneously combusting).

The support from ostensibly sane and intelligent posters on here for Trump really is stunning.
    Given that both candidates are unfit to be President, it's no wonder that the one who will provide more entertainment is getting some support.
    As unfashionable a view as it is on PBTrump.com - I think Hillary will make a great president. And, rather than being entertaining, I think having a straight-up racist in charge of the United States is actually a fucking waking nightmare. But you fill your boots lad. Enjoy.
    People who are right of centre might conclude that Clinton is the lesser of two evils. But, people who are right of centre will definitely be the enemy class to her, if she should win.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Nuovo thread
  • NEW THREAD

• FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

I agree. She is hard working, has loads of experience, is level headed and is good at working with people to get things done, which is an important skill for a US president who has prestige but limited executive power. Her big problem as a politician is that she is totally incapable of faking sincerity. Objectively I am not going to hold that against her if she does get to be president. She doesn't have a lot of empathy, but which president recently has? Donald Trump certainly doesn't.

The blot on her copybook is the email server business. I guess it depends on how strict you are on that kind of dishonesty as to whether you think that damns her. Several of our prime ministers have been caught out on similar deviations from the truth.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

You realise you could write a script to automate responses....
    Do you think Time and CNBC told their advertisers that those weren't real eye balls that viewed their banner ads. 1.6 million is a lot of click bait.

(TBF, we don't know if those websites didn't actually filter out the bots effectively. That's supposition)
    Reddit /pol/ organised flooding the polls for Donald. They are trivially easy to game.
    I am canvassing for the first time since GE2015 on Saturday.

Will be interesting to see what people think of the Messiah
  • weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Speedy said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37493165

" 'That cartoon frog is sinister'

Mrs Clinton's team duly released a post titled "Donald Trump, Pepe the frog, and white supremacists: an explainer" claiming, "that cartoon frog is more sinister than you might realize". "

I have the sudden itch to post cartoon frog pictures.
    Je suis Pepe
This discussion has been closed.