Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » All our thoughts should be focussed on wishing Steven Woolfe a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » All our thoughts should be focussed on wishing Steven Woolfe a speedy recovery

Read the full story here

Comments

• Hope he makes a full and swift recovery.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    The UKIP leadership race has officially become a bar brawl.

Now I can understand why James resigned, to avoid the fate of Woolfe.
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Who's sneering and making jokes?

Unbelievable.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Hopefully he makes full recovery and the thug who did this is prosecuted to the fullest extent of French law.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Speedy said:

My initial thought is that it was 6 of Woolfe, half a dozen Hookem. If you start a fight with someone, they clean you out and you then collapse and die later - is that really manslaughter ?
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

My initial thought is that it was 6 of Woolfe, half a dozen Hookem. If you start a fight with someone, they clean you out and you then collapse and die later - is that really manslaughter ?
    You presumably need a French lawyer to answer that.
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Yes.
    It takes the meaning of "hated by colleagues" up to a new level.
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Yes.
    o_O ok...
  • Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Yes. It would be the difference between manslaughter and murder.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

yep
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited October 2016

Unbelievable.

I hope David Aaronovich does not have cause to regret this even more: The Woolfe coverage just shows the MSM's anti-Ukip bias. This kind of thing happens all the time in the Liberal Democrats.

When someone picked him up on it he replied 'Keep it for Russia Today'.....

Edit....and he clearly has a short memory.....did Rinka die in vain?
  • Pulpstar said:
    That should be suspended until we know his condition. It seems completely inappropriate at this time.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2016

Unbelievable.

Well just look at the replies to Seb Payne's tweet and take your pick. What a load of wankers.

For example: https://twitter.com/fishmans017
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Absolutely awful. Thoughts and prayers with Woolfe and his family.
  • TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Rather depends on whether the blow was struck in self defence.
  • Neil Hamilton is a twat.

Alex Wickham

Neil Hamilton says Steven Woolfe "picked a fight". What a disgraceful comment.

Neil Hamilton laughed during BBC interview just now as he said Woolfe had considered defecting to UKIP.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited October 2016
    Absolutely. The politics of this should wait for another time; best wishes to Mr Woolfe and his family.

FPT:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/new-eu-referendum-british-election-study-data/

"Respondents were more likely to identify themselves as remain or leave supporters than followers of a particular party, which the researchers suggest could have a major effect on the future of British politics."

Just like the Scottish referendum, then? The Conservatives have moved swiftly to appropriate the Leave vote - can they then hang on to their Remainers? Well, with Labour in the state they are, there isn't much danger over there. Could we see a new genuinely liberal party?
    TonyE said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Rather depends on whether the blow was struck in self defence.
    If it is as Asa described it I can't see how it wasn't.
    Disturbing from Bruno Waterfeld, Woolfe lost feeling on one side of his body and had two epileptic type fits before the ambulance arrived.
    Anorak said:

Unbelievable.

Well just look at the replies to Seb Payne's tweet and take your pick. What a load of wankers.

Words fail me.
    Anorak said:

Unbelievable.

Twitter. Surely one should discount twitter as being anything significant or indicative in these situations. In any situations, for that matter.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    "new Fairleigh Dickinson national (live interview) national poll: Clinton 50%, Trump 40%. same 10-point margin in 4-way, 46%-36%"

and yet it is really close still in the swing states, with one poll showing him ahead in an emerson Florida poll.
  • TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    @Eek.
    You said that a policy of counting where recruits are sourced abroad where posts go unfilled from UK advertising has created a 'glass ceiling in wages'.

Is this because they deliberately low ball the UK ad, then they can simply send it abroad because nobody will apply for that money?
    Woolfe had 2 epileptic-type fits around 2 hours after punch-up with Hookem, say sources
    — Bruno Waterfield (@BrunoBrussels) October 6, 2016

Some 2 hours after the fight, Woolfe collapsed after leaving voting session early. He had a fit on the passerelle. Paramedics were called
    — Bruno Waterfield (@BrunoBrussels)

Neil Hamilton is a twat.

Alex Wickham

Neil Hamilton laughed during BBC interview just now as he said Woolfe had considered defecting to UKIP.

Hamilton and Bennett's comments/reporting could form an important part of Hookem's defence tbh.
  • BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    Horrendous. Hope he makes a complete and speedy recovery.

Poison chalice. Who'd want it now?
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Wishing you a full and speedy recovery, Mr Woolfe.

It would require a vote of the European Parliament to remove the MEP's immunity:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?language=en&type=IM-PRESS&reference=20070906STO10162

Would a British MEP be charged in a French or British court? Practice used to be in the FCO that diplomats who committed serious crimes were brought back for prosecution (and jail time if so decided) in the UK, not in the country in which the crime was committed.
    TOPPING said:

Anorak said:

Unbelievable.

Twitter. Surely one should discount twitter as being anything significant or indicative in these situations. In any situations, for that matter.
    True, but it doesn't stop fishmans017 from being an arsehole.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

I believe yes, it can be. Hitting someone in the head is seen as negligent endangerment
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Absolutely. The politics of this should wait for another time; best wishes to Mr Woolfe and his family.

FPT:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/new-eu-referendum-british-election-study-data/

"Respondents were more likely to identify themselves as remain or leave supporters than followers of a particular party, which the researchers suggest could have a major effect on the future of British politics."

Just like the Scottish referendum, then? The Conservatives have moved swiftly to appropriate the Leave vote - can they then hang on to their Remainers? Well, with Labour in the state they are, there isn't much danger over there. Could we see a new genuinely liberal party?
    Led by Osborne and his biggest fan?
    Mortimer said:

FPT:

Led by Osborne and his biggest fan?
    Why, is tim (pbuh) making a resurgence as a political force?

Pulpstar said:
    That should be suspended until we know his condition. It seems completely inappropriate at this time.
    Well since this is a betting site, with the danger of sounding careless:

This will be either a crowning moment to his leadership campaign or a terminal one even if he survives.

This is the high definition of a polarizing candidate, you either love him or hate him so much this happens.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Neil Hamilton is a twat.

Alex Wickham

Hamilton was on the radio just yesterday, and ISTR he was encouraging Woolfe to stand for the leadership!
  • MTimT said:

...It would require a vote of the European Parliament to remove the MEP's immunity:..

That would be a formality in this case, I think.

Let's hope Steven Woolfe makes a full recovery. This is just appalling.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    That poll of the foreign worker lists is disturbing, and shows the depth of the anger of those who feel they have been rejected.

And although team 619 will jump on me, that is why I still think Trump could win.
    SeanT said:

The £ is falling further today

http://www.cityam.com/250859/frosty-reception-sterling-pound-slips-again?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Relatedly, I just got paid a wodge of dollars, from NYC, converted into sterling. Essentially I made a heathy four figure sum just from the slide in the pound. Brexit has given me an annual 10-15% pay rise.

So it's not all bad. But one has to wonder if there is a level of depreciation at which HMG will start to feel a little queasy. Parity with the euro? Parity with the dollar?

I think the BoE will end up stoping the slide by indicating no more QE and rate cuts. Part of today's fall is stronger data from the US and an MPC member basically saying they will ignore positive data.
    SeanT said:

Much better news

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/784016115974496256

Thank God. Hope he recovers entirely, soon.

Oh good. Hopefully that is confirmed.
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Holy Moly

PICTURE: Steven Woolfe Altercation https://t.co/2nRD3t5HxJ via @GuidoFawkes
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

I believe yes, it can be. Hitting someone in the head is seen as negligent endangerment
    This sad story was in the news just yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-37554011
    SeanT said:

http://www.cityam.com/250859/frosty-reception-sterling-pound-slips-again?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Relatedly, I just got paid a wodge of dollars, from NYC, converted into sterling. Essentially I made a heathy four figure sum just from the slide in the pound. Brexit has given me an annual 10-15% pay rise.

So it's not all bad. But one has to wonder if there is a level of depreciation at which HMG will start to feel a little queasy. Parity with the euro? Parity with the dollar?

Truly you are of and with the people, Sean.
  • PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I know of a household name that recruites from India programmers with 1 month experience. The Indian programmers are said to turn up at the office in England and disappear by the afternoon.
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    MaxPB said:

Hopefully he makes full recovery and the thug who did this is prosecuted to the fullest extent of French law.

Deport him, a danger to the public.

MTimT said:

...It would require a vote of the European Parliament to remove the MEP's immunity:..

That would be a formality in this case, I think.

Let's hope Steven Woolfe makes a full recovery. This is just appalling.
    Let's hope on both those scores.
  • 619619 Posts: 1,784
    nunu said:

"new Fairleigh Dickinson national (live interview) national poll: Clinton 50%, Trump 40%. same 10-point margin in 4-way, 46%-36%"

and yet it is really close still in the swing states, with one poll showing him ahead in an emerson Florida poll.

Maybe, but I think if there a massive national lead for Clinton, then she will win it, regardless of what the state polls say. I doubt she will win the national vote by 2% plus and not win enough electoral votes!
  • Lets hope that Steven Woolfe continues to recover. But what sort of Country are we living in when Senior Politicians think that its normal to sort out out differences with a punch-up ? This is where populism leads.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    MTimT said:

It would require a vote of the European Parliament to remove the MEP's immunity:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?language=en&type=IM-PRESS&reference=20070906STO10162

Removing immunity seems to happen a lot: http://parltrack.euwiki.org/datasets/imm/
    WTF

Guido
    Brussels journalists now reporting Mike Hookem is "in a car chase with French police" https://t.co/M7YpiK3jBg
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Truly you are of and with the people, Sean.
    I feel like I am the silver lining to Britain's dark cloud.
    When I took the job in Zurich the Swiss franc was about 1.32 its about 1.23 now! A nice little pay rise.
  • A horrible incident and here's hoping Woolfe has a full recovery.

If the puncher is who they say it is, the confrontation is a microcosm of UKIP's contradiction. Woolfe is an ex-Tory who clearly sees the party's future on the right; Hookem is an ex-Labour voter, who did not joing the Tories when he could take no more of Labour. Now that we have voted to Leave, how do such people stay in the same party?
    Strewth. You couldn't make this up, could you?
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    SeanT said:

We're tootling along quite nicely to the level the Treasury's Brexit Severe Shock Scenario predicted.

ISTR Goldman's predicting a £1 : $1.15
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I think the BoE will end up stoping the slide by indicating no more QE and rate cuts. Part of today's fall is stronger data from the US and an MPC member basically saying they will ignore positive data. ''

The MPC is totally unhinged for me. Its almost as if they have decided there 'must' be reaction to Brexit, whatever the data says. They are completely determined to prove Brexit is detrimental.

Recently we discussed the Deputy Governor's comments on QE going on forever - quite disturbing really.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

Lets hope that Steven Woolfe continues to recover. But what sort of Country are we living in when Senior Politicians think that its normal to sort out out differences with a punch-up ? This is where populism leads.

Hyperbole. Canning & Castlereagh were hardly populist politicians.

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/castlereagh-canning-duel

Neil Hamilton is a twat.

Alex Wickham

Hamilton was on the radio just yesterday, and ISTR he was encouraging Woolfe to stand for the leadership!
    (Again with the danger of sounding careless)

That's why I said it was 50-50 this incident will either help Woolfe or damage him.
    It's too early to say which side of 50-50 it will fall.
  • Strewth. You couldn't make this up, could you?
    The tweet has been deleted now. I think
  • Curiously this http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/new-eu-referendum-british-election-study-data/ makes me feel better. It explains how strongly I feel may not be that unusual. Identity is powerful stuff.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

WTF

Guido
    Brussels journalists now reporting Mike Hookem is "in a car chase with French police" https://t.co/M7YpiK3jBg

10/1 true.
    1/10 bullshit.

Anyway, I hope Woolfe recovers ok.

Lets hope that Steven Woolfe continues to recover. But what sort of Country are we living in when Senior Politicians think that its normal to sort out out differences with a punch-up ? This is where populism leads.

We should remember that it is hardly unheard of for MPs of all parties to throw punches, or even Nokias.

You have to be unlucky, but Eric Joyce's headbutt of another MP could have ended similarly. It's not necessarily the assault that causes the damage, but the fall afterwards.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

A horrible incident and here's hoping Woolfe has a full recovery.

If the puncher is who they say it is, the confrontation is a microcosm of UKIP's contradiction. Woolfe is an ex-Tory who clearly sees the party's future on the right; Hookem is an ex-Labour voter, who did not joing the Tories when he could take no more of Labour. Now that we have voted to Leave, how do such people stay in the same party?

They don't. I expect UKIP will morph into two new parties. One WWC labour votes northern style, and a smaller golf-club type. The labourish one will have a better chance of future success, whereas the blue rinse type will migrate back towards the tories.

• My earlier tweet of the "car chase" might have been a little bit overblown. French police do seem to be looking for him though...

What did it say?
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

cough *prescott* cough. He could have taken that guy out and done something similar.
  • MaxPB said:

What did it say?
    Mike Hookem was doing an O.J. Simpson chase with the police
    SeanT said:

This reminds me of the OJ murder, when the Juice got Loose, on live TV

Incidentally, if Woolfe makes a full, speedy recovery (which is looking more likely, thank God) might he get a sympathy vote, and win?

He could then threaten Labour in the North.

All of British politics might just have turned on a small weird punch-up in Strasbourg.
    He will either get a sympathy vote or he will get crushed by his defection attempt stories.

Hamilton has done a 180 turn from supporting Woolfe yesterday to peddling the defection story after the punches.

But Farage is as always the one who decides which side will win in UKIP.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016

They don't. I expect UKIP will morph into two new parties. One WWC labour votes northern style, and a smaller golf-club type. The labourish one will have a better chance of future success, whereas the blue rinse type will migrate back towards the tories.

Or several. I've been saying for a while that I think the party will splinter. It has, after all, always been a particularly fissiparous party and prone to flounces-out and internal feuds. Without the glue of the referendum to hold it together, it won't hold together.

MaxPB said:

What did it say?
    Mike Hookem was doing an O.J. Simpson chase with the police
    Might be looking to get to Switzerland. No EAW there iirc.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Taniel Verified account
    @Taniel

Michigan poll by EPIC-MRA: Clinton leads 43-32. (Mid-September it was 38-35.) http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/10/06/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-michigan/91611112/
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    It feels that politics has become more personal this year than ever before. All the talk of national identity, patriotism and nationalism in the referendum feels like it has taken hold of us on a much more emotional level than deficit reduction and boundary reform ever did.

I thought that the death of Jo Cox held up a mirror to us and made us stop and think, but the world kept turning. Maybe another chance to reflect on who we are as a nation today. Wishing him a speedy recovery - and UKIP a speedy fading away.

Or several. I've been saying for a while that I think the party will splinter. It has, after all, always been a particularly fissiparous party, and without the glue of the referendum to hold it together, it won't.
    Thank you for teaching me a new word!

My analysis precisely. The gap in UK politics was for a populist, economically leftish, socially right party for the disaffected working class (clearly not just white, as the EU ref showed).

May seems to be working hard to close the size of this gap, so UKIP need(s/ed) to move fast to seize the opportunity. They appear to be doing their level best to blow it.

Or several. I've been saying for a while that I think the party will splinter. It has, after all, always been a particularly fissiparous party and prone to flounces-out and internal feuds. Without the glue of the referendum to hold it together, it won't hold together.
    Yes, much like the SNP if Scotland went independent. Our Malcolm and TUD have very little on common other than the wish for an independent Scotland. No way they can stay in the same party if independence is achieved.
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

I think the Golf club types will rapidly rejoin the Tories since they are going to strongly in favour of the sort of platform May is suggesting without the queasiness at wishy-washy end of the party exhibited so well on here ;) It might be time for the rebirth of a new noisy but electorally insignificant libertarian party with Carswell, and possibly Hannan when he loses his MEP gig, and logically Reckless since those three are old mates.
  • SeanT said:

Incidentally, if Woolfe makes a full, speedy recovery (which is looking more likely, thank God) might he get a sympathy vote, and win?

All of British politics might just have turned on a small weird punch-up in Strasbourg.

I doubt Woolfe is a threat to Labour. He's clearly a Tory in all but name. A northern accent doesn't change that. The Hookem wing of UKIP looks a much bigger threat.

On another point: such injuries can leave long-lasting problems. A friend of ours was a keen road-racer cyclist, and he had an accident a few years ago that has left him with epilepsy.

The last seizure he had was whilst abroad, in a meeting with clients. He certainly made an impression with those clients ...

UKIP has always split on the middle countless times, councilors, MEP going all over the place, but it's vote hasn't.

Remarkable instability at the top, remarkable stability of it's base.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

On another point: such injuries can leave long-lasting problems. A friend of ours was a keen road-racer cyclist, and he had an accident a few years ago that has left him with epilepsy.

The last seizure he had was whilst abroad, in a meeting with clients. He certainly made an impression with those clients ...

The long term issues aren't always immediately apparent either. I had a brain bleed at 13 and my first epileptic seizure at 45!
    Florida - PORL/University North Florida

Clinton 47 .. Trump 40

http://www.unf.edu/coas/porl/2016_Florida_Fall_Statewide_Presidential_Poll.aspx
    Neil Hamilton on Sky News. Alleges Woolfe "started it".

The long term issues aren't always immediately apparent either. I had a brain bleed at 13 and my first epileptic seizure at 45!
    That isn't exactly reassuring for me at the moment. :(

Brains are really weird things. Wonderful, but weird.

SeanT said:

I doubt Woolfe is a threat to Labour. He's clearly a Tory in all but name. A northern accent doesn't change that. The Hookem wing of UKIP looks a much bigger threat.

But he is mixed race and grow up on moss side, which immediately neuters two of the main attack lines against UKIP. As far as I can tell he has never been active in Tory politics.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited October 2016
    TonyE said:

@Eek.
    You said that a policy of counting where recruits are sourced abroad where posts go unfilled from UK advertising has created a 'glass ceiling in wages'.

Is this because they deliberately low ball the UK ad, then they can simply send it abroad because nobody will apply for that money?

Nope its from looking at the market rate of senior software developers. That was £40-45k in 2006 and is still £40-45k in 2016....

Anyone care to guess what an onshored developer has to be paid....

If Farage says the same, Woolfe's candidacy is over.
    edited October 2016
    Anything I've ever said forgiving Hamilton are expunged.

Totally twatty this afternoon

This is the Hamilton who spent the last couple of months trying to stop him standing as party leader, I think we should treat anything he says with a certain amount of caution.
  • 619619 Posts: 1,784
    JackW said:
    Soooooo

+ 6 for Clinton in reality?:-)

That isn't exactly reassuring for me at the moment. :(

Brains are really weird things. Wonderful, but weird.
    Sorry!

If it's any consolation I haven't had a fit in years. AEDs have come a long way.
    Tennessee - MTSU

Clinton 40 .. Trump 50

http://mtsupoll.org/2016/10/04/f2016pres/
    edited October 2016
    I think Arron Banks should say what he really thinks (remembering that Hamilton is on the NEC)

He lashed out at the NEC, which was heavily criticised for refusing to accept Mr Woolfe's candidacy for the leadership during the last contest because the papers were filed a few minutes late.

'This body is populated by a motley collection of amateurs; leftovers from a bygone age, when Ukip was a ragtag band of volunteers on the fringes of British politics.
    'Watching them try to run the modern political movement that (Nigel) Farage built is like watching a team of circus clowns trying to carry out a pit stop at the Silverstone Grand Prix,' he wrote in the Guardian.

'If James hadn't put her name forward at the last minute, we would have had nothing but a rabble of no-name, no-talent nobodies to choose from. These people would be out of their depth in a paddling pool, and couldn't be more unfit to run a modern political party.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3824837/Ukip-donor-says-party-run-circus-clowns-new-leadership-favourite-Steven-Woolfe-admits-considered-defecting-TORIES.html
    Indigo said:

SeanT said:

But he is mixed race and grow up on moss side, which immediately neuters two of the main attack lines against UKIP. As far as I can tell he has never been active in Tory politics.
    The problem for Woolfe is the defection story, that he had agreed to defect to the Tories but James's resignation stopped him from going to Birmingham to officially defect.
    Indigo said:

This is the Hamilton who spent the last couple of months trying to stop him standing as party leader, I think we should treat anything he says with a certain amount of caution.
    If I shook hands with Mr Hamilton, I'd count my fingers afterwards.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

We're tootling along quite nicely to the level the Treasury's Brexit Severe Shock Scenario predicted.

ISTR Goldman's predicting a £1 : $1.15
    As an exporter wanting a rise in interest rates it can go a lot lower as far as I am concerned and hopefully stoke some inflation and a rise in interest rates.

The MPC has lost the plot in my view. Total muppetry.
  • Indigo said:

SeanT said:

He was on the verge of joining the Tories last week and has praised may to the high heavens.

• Whatever you think of UKIP ("not a lot" in my case) you can only set politics aside on a day like this and hope/pray for his recovery.
This discussion has been closed.