Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit’s victory was miniscule and a swing of just 1.85% would

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit’s victory was miniscule and a swing of just 1.85% would’ve produced a different result

var embedDeltas={"100":735.8,"200":653.8,"300":626.8,"400":599.8,"500":599.8,"600":599.8,"700":572.8,"800":572.8,"900":572.8,"1000":572.8},chart=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-Qq3nA"),chartWidth=chart.offsetWidth,applyDelta=embedDeltas[Math.min(1000, Math.max(100*(Math.floor(chartWidth/100)), 100))]||0,newHeight=applyDelta;chart.style.height=newHeight+"px";

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
    First
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second, like Remain
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    On a constituency basis though it was a landslide, 421 seats out of 574 in England and Wales voted Leave. It was only Remain's strong winning margin in central London, a few other inner cities and Scotland which made the popular vote closer. May's approach is reflecting what the voters think, it was vote to control immigration above all
    https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/the-eu-referendum-how-did-westminster-constituencies-vote-283c85cd20e1#.kwcbfqslt
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    FPT

Barnesian said: OK. 4%+

Imports are 20%+ of our GDP. Sterling has depreciated by 20%+ since the referendum. That will put inflation up by 4%+ It will take a few weeks or months for that inflation to come through in oil prices at the pumps and food prices in the shops. But come it will.

I said:
    Inflation is currently at 0.6%. So you are predicting 4.6% within 12 months? Would you like a bet on that? Let's make it a little fairer. Fancy a bet that CPI inflation will not exceed 4% in the next 12 months?
  • Options
    On topic Iceland only beat England 2:1. Clearly England should have gone on to win the tournament.
  • Options
    I think a 52 per cent vote would have been taken as a clear enough mandate for something as big as remaining in the EU.

• Options
    Lib Dems and their bar charts.

The Remain side had the full backing of the state, the government leaflet and so on and so forth and still lost. Leave didn't have a single advantage like that, they didn't even have the Murdoch media fully behind them (Times backed Remain) and yet still won.

In fact Leave's "small" victory included over 4.4 million more voters backing Leave than backed No2AV.
  • Options
    Let's put it this way. Does anybody seriously think it would be that close or different if we re-ran it with a government committed to Leave?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Let's put it this way. Does anybody seriously think it would be that close or different if we re-ran it with a government committed to Leave?

It would make Winchester 1997 by-election look like a close call ...
  • Options
    Compared to the result of the referendum for the creation of the Welsh Assembly, this was a landslide.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Looks like The Games Up for The Donald!

Well, it was fun while lasted! :smiley:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wait six months and the answer could be yes.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
    edited October 2016
    The Sottish Devo Referendum in 1997 was a winning margin of almost 50% for Yes. Is that the 'winningest' referendum that there's been in the UK?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Mike Smithson exposing himself as an anti-democratic libdem. Loses the AV, loses the EU ref and now has to deal with the fact that crucial parts of his beloved party's platform aren't wanted by the electorate.
    Nigel is wrong and Mike is wrong - but crucially two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On a constituency basis though it was a landslide, 421 seats out of 574 in England and Wales voted Leave. It was only Remain's strong winning margin in central London, a few other inner cities and Scotland which made the popular vote closer. May's approach is reflecting what the voters think, it was vote to control immigration above all
    https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/the-eu-referendum-how-did-westminster-constituencies-vote-283c85cd20e1#.kwcbfqslt

Indeed. That is why our political system is broken. Our parties are organised around class interest, whereas the primary political cleavage is racial. I dislike it intensely, but denial serves no purpose.

• Options
    Has "subtle" leadership become another euphemism for Remain?
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    1.3 million votes is a big enough margin for anyone
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    Pauly said:

Mike Smithson exposing himself as an anti-democratic libdem. Loses the AV, loses the EU ref and now has to deal with the fact that crucial parts of his beloved party's platform aren't wanted by the electorate.

He was pointing out an incontrovertible fact.
    Those who say 'the people have spoken' or 'the result was clear' are just wrong.
    The people muttered and the result was close.
  • Options

The Remain side had the full backing of the state, the government leaflet and so on and so forth and still lost. Leave didn't have a single advantage like that, they didn't even have the Murdoch media fully behind them (Times backed Remain) and yet still won.

In fact Leave's "small" victory included over 4.4 million more voters backing Leave than backed No2AV.

Leave had the biggest lie (£350m/week)
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    DavidL said:

FPT

Imports are 20%+ of our GDP. Sterling has depreciated by 20%+ since the referendum. That will put inflation up by 4%+ It will take a few weeks or months for that inflation to come through in oil prices at the pumps and food prices in the shops. But come it will.

I said:
    Inflation is currently at 0.6%. So you are predicting 4.6% within 12 months? Would you like a bet on that? Let's make it a little fairer. Fancy a bet that CPI inflation will not exceed 4% in the next 12 months?

I think you saw my reply on the previous thread because you replied to it.

Summary of my reply was - I'm tempted but no.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715

No. Subtle leadership is acknowledging that Leave the EU isn't a euphemism for total isolation.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

No it's not. Viktor Orban 'lost' his referendum despite a winning margin of 3.3m votes.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

No. Subtle leadership is acknowledging that Leave the EU isn't a euphemism for total isolation.
    Ah! So it is then.
  • Options

Pauly said:

Those who say 'the people have spoken' or 'the result was clear' are just wrong.
    The people didn't mutter. The AV referendum with its paltry turnout was muttering.

For the EU Referendum the people shouted. They had a loud shouty disagreement but they spoke loud and when the shouting stopped the outcome by 1.3 million votes was clear.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCJamesCook/status/784759118951165952

When does the Rep dumping on Trump become an avalanche?
  • Options

Remain had the biggest lie (£4300 per family) it just didn't catch on.

£350m per week was true as a gross figure. £4300 per family was a total fabrication.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    What a silly thread.
  • Options

Did she back him previously or is this like a Liz Kendall supporter calling for Corbyn to stand down?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Yawn - another remain whinge fest

• Options
    FF43 said:

Total isolation eh?

More over the top dog droppings
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

What a silly thread.

revealing of the author too
  • Options
    houndtang said:

As I said we have a fair few people now who only think a decision is democratic if it has gone their way.

The rest can just feck off as they are to dim to know what they have done apparently.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

What a silly thread.

revealing of the author too
    It's OGH's inner LibDem speaking.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited October 2016
    If Trump did withdraw his nomination what would happen?
  • Options

Did she back him previously or is this like a Liz Kendall supporter calling for Corbyn to stand down?
    If yiu actually want an answer to your question, click on the link to her tweet.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I said:

You said you're now down to predicting 3.5% inflation (which I still would bet against as being too high) but even if inflation did reach 3.5% would that be a disaster?

Our inflation target is 2%. If it reaches 3.5% that at 1.5% away from target will be no worse than inflation of 0.5%. The reality is though that inflation won't get that high, but even if it did we can take it in our stride.
  • Options

If yiu actually want an answer to your question, click on the link to her tweet.
    Thanks, so she's a NeverTrump. Will have as much impact now as a Kendall supporter dumping on Corbyn.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I said:

You said you're now down to predicting 3.5% inflation (which I still would bet against as being too high) but even if inflation did reach 3.5% would that be a disaster?

Our inflation target is 2%. If it reaches 3.5% that at 1.5% away from target will be no worse than inflation of 0.5%. The reality is though that inflation won't get that high, but even if it did we can take it in our stride.
    My point was that it might result in an interest rate rise and a strengthening of sterling. Sure we can take this in our stride.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Regardless of opinion, this sort of leader generates traffic and keeps things ticking over until something happens.

Even if nothing new is said and positions are so entrenched it makes The Somme looking like the wide open spaces of the Steppes.
  • Options
    Remain lost, end of story. However, May and other members of the government need to understand that their words are heard as clearly abroad as they are in the UK. And the message coming out of Brum last week was not one that will win us any friends; at a time when we do need friends. Language and tone are so important.
  • Options

£350m per week was true as a gross figure. £4300 per family was a total fabrication.
    So how many millions per week as a Net figure will be put into the NHS?
  • Options

Pauly said:

The people didn't mutter. The AV referendum with its paltry turnout was muttering.

For the EU Referendum the people shouted. They had a loud shouty disagreement but they spoke loud and when the shouting stopped the outcome by 1.3 million votes was clear.
    The outcome was close (3.8%).
  • Options

So how many millions per week as a Net figure will be put into the NHS?
    We haven't left yet and a Leaver never became PM but Gove proposed putting £100m per week extra into the NHS as part of his leadership campaign.

And despite the ignorance of Remoaners afterwards the proposal was always that some (not all) of the £350m would go to the NHS.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I said:

Not sure we will see 3.5% CPI inflation either but it depends on what happens to the £ from here. It would be a good thing if we did. Our major problems at the moment are that we have built up horrendous debt mountains in both the public and private sector and are finding it impossible to reduce them in real money from earnings. Inflating some of that away would help.

The second major problem is that our economy is being badly distorted by absurdly low interest rates. Some inflation that drove the nominal rate to, say, 3%-4% would slash the deficits on pension schemes that are currently sucking in so much of businesses working capital and investment capability and encourage the saving rate which Robert has pointed out is at unacceptably low levels.

The third major problem is that the same distortion is at present causing significant asset inflation greatly widening the gap between the haves and the have nots making house purchase for example very difficult for the majority. Inflation could reduce these problems.

What would this lower pound and higher inflation do to GDP? Much harder to say with conflicting factors but more likely than not we would see a slow down and a modest increase in unemployment. Which would have the very considerable advantage of allowing remainers to feel good about themselves. And it would mean Mike did not have to struggle for thread headers.
  • Options

Pauly said:

The outcome was close (3.8%).
    The outcome was clear (1.3 million).
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Clickbait or silliness. 1.3 million vote margin. About as many votes as the SNP got in 2015
  • Options

Remain lost, end of story. However, May and other members of the government need to understand that their words are heard as clearly abroad as they are in the UK. And the message coming out of Brum last week was not one that will win us any friends; at a time when we do need friends. Language and tone are so important.

Do we need friends or do we need people to take us seriously?

Blair's policy of being "friends" with everyone in Europe just saw us give up a large chunk of rebate with nothing in return. This may be a time for brinkmanship rather than friends.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited October 2016
    The implementation of the referendum result is going to be shockingly undemocratic. Those who craved a hard, brutal Brexit - severing trade links with the EU, WTO rules, expulsion of foreign workers, tariffs all over the place - were in the small minority. Yet they are now running the show. This referendum has tuned Britain into an oligarchy.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Clickbait or silliness. 1.3 million vote margin. About as many votes as the SNP got in 2015

Given how small a percentage of the UK electorate is in Scotland that proves the point, n'est-ce pas?
  • Options

houndtang said:

No it's not. Viktor Orban 'lost' his referendum despite a winning margin of 3.3m votes.
    Orban got a turnout of 42%, Brexit turnout was 72%. Spot the difference?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I very much doubt that the chancelleries of Europe and the wider world pay very much attention to what is said at party conferences, Mr. Observer, overseas businesses even less so. Dagnabit, there are very people in the UK who pay attention.

Much more important will be the messages conveyed by the FCO in the course of everyday diplomacy.

Aside from which what did the government members say that was so awful? Not that I was paying full attention, but I don't remember much. TM's speech seemed to contain items that I don't personally like, see Charles Moore in today's Telegraph, but I am struggling to remember anything of great import that was said by anyone.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I said:

My point was that it might result in an interest rate rise and a strengthening of sterling. Sure we can take this in our stride.
    There is no reason to raise interest rates with inflation at 3.5% that is no further from target than we are now. Especially if the bump in inflation is a one-off due to an adjustment in import costs which after 12 months will dissipate.

Furthermore the only reason we think inflation may go up is due to changes in fx rates which are in no small part caused by a cut in interest rates. If the Bank were worried by inflation they wouldn't be cutting interest rates and causing the fx changes themselves now would they!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Question: How deep are Trump rampers in the hole?

Obviously we know some of them get offended at the idea of betting but some of them have to have wagered some money on the sure thing Trump is definitely going to win.
  • Options

Blair's policy of being "friends" with everyone in Europe just saw us give up a large chunk of rebate with nothing in return. This may be a time for brinkmanship rather than friends.
    We also saw how far being a nice guy got Cameron in the negotiations.
  • Options

The implementation of the referendum result is going to be shockingly undemocratic. Those who craved a hard, brutal Brexit - severing trade links with the EU, WTO rules, expulsion of foreign workers, tariffs all over the place - were in the small minority. Yet they are now running the show. This referendum has tuned Britain into an oligarchy.

For which we will have an election no later than 2020 and can elect an alternative if that's what happens. Democracy in action.
  • Options
    At least it is a British oligarchy not a Luxembourgeoisie one.
  • Options

Indeed. I'd rather we were able to be nice guys but it won't work.
  • Options

Some clever chap a long time ago explained that the UK had no permanent friends and no permanent enemies, just permanent interests. In diplomatic terms trying to be friends let alone Best Friends For Ever strikes me as being imbecilic.
  • Options

Indeed. I'd rather we were able to be nice guys but it won't work.
    "Mexico will pay for the wall, and they will respect us!"
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Not entirely true, polls show voters place control of migration above access to the single market

https://twitter.com/wallace_anna/status/772894573693640704
  • Options

MTimT said:

Given how small a percentage of the UK electorate is in Scotland that proves the point, n'est-ce pas?
    Yes, it proves the point. That the whingers will selectively use their comparisons.

The vote was won by Brexit on the rules set ahead of the vote. Whining about it after the event is silly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not entirely true, polls show voters place control of migration above access to the single market

Every party except the LibDems and the Greens. Interesting, and not too surprising.
  • Options

Some clever chap a long time ago explained that the UK had no permanent friends and no permanent enemies, just permanent interests. In diplomatic terms trying to be friends let alone Best Friends For Ever strikes me as being imbecilic.
    And one of the UK's principal interests is a stable Europe, not dominated by a single foreign power. Leaving the EU goes entirely against this.
  • Options

Exactly. The last person they had an ounce of respect for was Thatcher.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Every party except the LibDems and the Greens. Interesting, and not too surprising.
    Yes, it is pretty clear
  • Options
    Remain supporters still claiming it was close?

Granted, it was a shock win. It went against every political party in the UK (except for UKIP and the DUP), against the main broadcaster, against the civil service, and against the entire metropolitan elite. The shock tactics of the losing side were unbelievable--fortunately they weren't believed.

Remain even had the 'good fortune' to be on the right end of the only black swan event of the campaign--the assassination of Jo Cox. (For an arithmetic assessment of the significance of the that, see Anthony Wells. He reckons the margin went from down from approx 12 to about 4%).

Without the emphatic support of the leading politian of his age, Cameron, the margin would have been enormous.

Sure, the end result was mathematically close. But to confuse that with enthusiasm for the EU being on a knife-edge in the UK is disingenuous.
  • Options

Britain was already an oligarchy.

But it was an oligarchy you supported.
  • Options

And one of the UK's principal interests is a stable Europe, not dominated by a single foreign power. Leaving the EU goes entirely against this.
    Oh come on, Mr. Glenn! Even if you want to take Anthony Jay's old joke as a true expression of the UK's foreign Policy for the last 500 years, it must be obvious that being in the EU was not achieving that objective. Germany dominates the EU now just as much as it has done for donkey's years. It must, it has the money.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    This caught my eye from the NY Times

“Somehow, a whole combination of people were in denial up until now,” said Adam S. Posen, a former member of the rate-setting committee at the Bank of England, and now president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington.

“There were the people who thought Brexit would be reversed,” he continued. “There were the people who delusionally thought there would be a soft Brexit, and all the northern Europeans would be nice to them. And there were people who believed that this crew in charge of the British negotiations were somehow going to strike a good deal. All of the delusions have run out of material.”
  • Options

If we were subsumed into a pretended greater country, we'd be unable to pursue any interests.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Seriously?

:lol:
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,544

I'd that Remain claims about loss of rights to travel in Europe, the throwing out of EU citizens working here, loss of young people's rights to participate in Erasmus etc are rather larger porkies.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited October 2016
    Being from the Lib/Dem allsorts, it's not hard to understand where OGH's loyalties lie. The great beef of the Remainers is that the Leavers won the referendum, despite all the negative campaigning by the government, the so-called elite and the MSM against the independant stance of the Leavers: I mean the Remainers were supposed to win, no question.
    Their disappointment is verging on the destruction of democracy and of a democratic result.

Perhaps we should force all those MP's that got elected by margins of 3.7% to resign and and run again. There is no electoral law in the UK that says that one has to clear 5% as there is on the continent in many countries. Remain wants it's cake back, well they can't have it.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

The Remain side also had the supposed advantage of being fronted by Cameron and Osborne.

Since it now appears that everybody hated and despised them, and always had done, this was obviously a losing trick for the Remain campaign. It clearly trumped all the other advantages that Remain had.
  • Options
    FPT
    Sean_F said:

Actually, I think it 's driven by the reason that Robert Smithson gave - a big current account deficit. Which would be case inside or outside the EU. Brexit simply brought it to a head.

Indeed.

And its better that we deal with the fundamental imbalances with the UK economy now that to continue to pretend that they don't exist.

Anyone who wants a higher sterling exchange rate should look to make their own contribution to making that happen by:

1) Creating more wealth
    2) Living within their means
    3) Increasing their savings ratio
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

And if I'd put £1,000 rather than a couple of quid on my 250/1 Verstappen bet, I'd be more relaxed about my finances.

But I didn't.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Nice try. It was 1.3 million votes. One would have been enough.
  • Options
    LA Times has Trump 3 % up on Mrs Clinton. I'd guess that there's a hefty shy Trump element. Hillary's in serious trouble.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    I know the point OGH is driving at, but frankly I regard it as a pretty clear outcome. I think remainer concerns could be addressed better but many on my side are doing themselves no favours in that regard by being so intransigent and bitter. Markets will be volatile, too many have been lulled into thinking that because the markets stabilised around the certainty that bugger all was happening in the short term that all pain had been avoided. It hasn't and once the government started to reveal its thinking it was always likely to have an impact.
  • Options

FPT

Sean_F said:

Actually, I think it 's driven by the reason that Robert Smithson gave - a big current account deficit. Which would be case inside or outside the EU. Brexit simply brought it to a head.

Indeed.

And its better that we deal with the fundamental imbalances with the UK economy now that to continue to pretend that they don't exist.

Anyone who wants a higher sterling exchange rate should look to make their own contribution to making that happen by:

1) Creating more wealth
    The worrying thing to me is that HMG still seem to be ignoring that current account deficit. There seems to be no acknowledgement that it exists, let alone a plan to deal with it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,772
    @Philip_Thompson

Sterling rose artificially on the day to $1.50 it hadn't been at that level for months and is an improper comparison point. The pre-referendum exchange rate was more like $1.45

We've had this discussion before and we will again. Below are the rates in dollars for 1GBP on January 1st each year since 2010.

2010: 1.6150
    2011: 1.5610
    2012: 1.5507
    2013: 1.6245
    2014: 1.6554
    2015: 1.5571
    2016: 1.4740

Yesterday: 1.2436

Sources
    h ttp://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-USD-01_01_2010-exchange-rate-history.html
    h ttp://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-USD-01_01_2011-exchange-rate-history.html
    h ttp://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-USD-01_01_2012-exchange-rate-history.html
    h ttp://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-USD-01_01_2013-exchange-rate-history.html
    h ttps://www.poundsterlinglive.com/best-exchange-rates/british-pound-to-us-dollar-exchange-rate-on-2014-01-01
    h ttps://www.poundsterlinglive.com/best-exchange-rates/british-pound-to-us-dollar-exchange-rate-on-2015-01-01
    h ttps://www.poundsterlinglive.com/best-exchange-rates/british-pound-to-us-dollar-exchange-rate-on-2016-01-01
    h ttp://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-USD-07_10_2016-exchange-rate-history.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    The BBC didn't seem to get the full press release....

"The suspect has been named as Jaber Alkadr, 22, who was born in Syria."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37596829

right ok...but there seems to be a bit missing from their report....

"Focus cited security sources as saying the suspect he had come to Germany with Syrian refugees during the past year."

http://news.sky.com/story/german-police-hunt-suspected-bomb-plotter-after-chemnitz-raid-10609696
  • Options
    edited October 2016

1) Creating more wealth

I have three jobs (one full-time, two freelance), I've just applied for a fourth (and I hope I get it), I save a fifth of my salary each month (in the past it's been nearer 40%, but that's quite hard), and my credit card bills are nonexistent.

This is a lighthouse. Your call.

• Options

LA Times has Trump 3 % up on Mrs Clinton. I'd guess that there's a hefty shy Trump element. Hillary's in serious trouble.

LA Times polling is either going to go down as a total laughing stock just as Angus Reid or Ashcroft or going to show all the rest up. I am going to go with the former rather than the later.
  • Options

Sure, the end result was mathematically close. But to confuse that with enthusiasm for the EU being on a knife-edge in the UK is disingenuous.

It's equally disingenuous to claim that there's mass support for a wrenching rupture with the status quo. One of the many dishonest leave arguments went like this: "Leave is the real status quo option! If you vote Remain no-one knows what we're signing up to!"

Anyone influenced by this argument wanted, at best, the softest of Brexits, not the Powellite lurch we're getting.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

FPT

Sean_F said:

Indeed.

1) Creating more wealth
    You are as bad as Corbynites who refuse to acknowledge that he is a poor candidate and would rather blame his Parliamentary colleagues for his dismal poll ratings.

99.99% of economists are saying that the collapse in the exchange rate reflects the long term state of the UK economy post Brexit. Of course they could all be wrong.

When Brexit fails, which it will do inevitably, who will you blame? Remainers for telling you so, foreigners, the EU for not giving us favourable terms. You certainly will not blame Brexit because you are ideologically wedded to the purity of it all much like Corbynites who refuse to believe there cannot be anything wrong with their man.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    Anyone else think Trump won't necessarily be damaged by the last 24 hours?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Anyone else think Trump won't be damaged by the last 24 hours?

Speedy seems to have information that worse is to come. One thing's for sure - this next month will be the dirtiest campaign in American political history.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

I get all the liberal huffing about Trump - but they've been doing 1000 variations of it for months.

Professionally speaking, I think they're all wrong. I worked in sales offices in the late 90s where male colleagues talked like this and down the pub, and sports clubs.

It's Sex in the City for women who do the same, and pretend not to when not together and tiddled.

The whole liberal tutting puritanism isn't convincing me one iota. If people like me aren't thinking WTF HOW AWFUL - this is going to result in more shy Trumpers in the polls.

I'm not sure what the polls tell us now about Hillary anymore. The MSM war on Trump is eclipsing Brexit snobbery. And it's not landing much, as those who already think they're biased just see more evidence of it.

Vulgar folk use vulgar bragging hyperbole - shocker.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

LA Times polling is either going to go down as a total laughing stock just as Angus Reid or Ashcroft or going to show all the rest up. I am going to go with the former rather than the later.
    The main non-demographic weighting the LA Times poll uses is recalled 2012 presidential vote.

America has the habit of too many people 'remembering' voting for the winner. So the poll is down weighting Democratic voters too heavily.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

1) Creating more wealth

I have three jobs (one full-time, two freelance), I've just applied for a fourth (and I hope I get it), I save a fifth of my salary each month (in the past it's been nearer 40%, but that's quite hard), and my credit card bills are nonexistent.

And do you think you're typical ?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/chartimage?uri=/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/bulletins/quarterlynationalaccounts/quarter2aprtojune2016/5b35669a
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    PlatoSaid said:

I get all the liberal huffing about Trump - but they've been doing 1000 variations of it for months.

Professionally speaking, I think they're all wrong. I worked in sales offices in the late 90s where male colleagues talked like this and down the pub, and sports clubs.

It's Sex in the City for women who do the same, and pretend not to when not together and tiddled.

The whole liberal tutting puritanism isn't convincing me one iota. If people like me aren't thinking WTF HOW AWFUL - this is going to result in more shy Trumpers in the polls.

I'm not sure what the polls tell us now about Hillary anymore. The MSM war on Trump is eclipsing Brexit snobbery. And it's not landing much, as those who already think they're biased just see more evidence of it.

Genuine question. What exactly would Trump need to say to make you think "WTF HOW AWFUL"? Clearly bragging about sexual violence doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

FPT

Sean_F said:

Indeed.

1) Creating more wealth
    The worrying thing to me is that HMG still seem to be ignoring that current account deficit. There seems to be no acknowledgement that it exists, let alone a plan to deal with it.
    The more worrying thing is absolutely all Brexit ideologues ignore everyone ranging from business, through to national governments, economists, academics, global institutions that a hard Brexit will severely damage our economy. A current account deficit will be the least of our worries as our tax intake drops and the health and social care demands of an elderly and ailing population inexorably rise.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options

It's nice to see that a PB consensus has broken out between the Remainers and Hard Leavers: the free-trade Soft Leavers were witless dupes.

Nope. Free trade soft leave was and is the most obvious option. The only reason it is currently being ignored is because of a stupid obsession with immigration. It is sad to see Remainders talking up the end of freedom of movement like it is a good thing simply because they think it will prove them right about the downside of Brexit. If they had any honour at all they would push hard for the soft Brexit approach but since they are basically unscrupulous shits it is no surprise they are more interested in revenge.
    Welcome back. I'm a Remainer but I'm fervently behind the EEA/EFTA option post-Brexit (as I hope you recall from my remarks immediately after the vote), for the simple reason that I live here and I'm not in a position to put my fingers in my ears (pace Phillip_Thompson below) and pretend things aren't going wrong.

But you are falling into the Daniel Hannan error: the conceit that everything that goes wrong is the fault of Europe/REMAINers. That statement is no longer tenable.

Why? Because REMAIN lost: David Davis is SoSEXy[1], Liam Fox thinks he's IT, Boris is FCO. Blaming REMAIN for the increasingly obvious post-vote debacle is invidious because REMAIN have no agency nor power.

LEAVE has to come to terms with the fact that the antimigration antibusiness outcome eventuating is being driven, enabled, and put into production by LEAVErs.

[1] Apparently that's his actual abrev. Who knew?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Anyone else think Trump won't necessarily be damaged by the last 24 hours?

It's worth remembering that Bill Clinton's approval rating were boosted by the Lewinsky affair. Sex sells.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Genuine question. What exactly would Trump need to say to make you think "WTF HOW AWFUL"? Clearly bragging about sexual violence doesn't cut it.
    Given the actual actions of the Clintons they are hardly ones to criticise Trump for statements he made 10 years ago
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    PlatoSaid said:

Meanwhile, in the real world, 538 (no doubt with biased mathematics) is now giving Clinton an 82% chance of winning, with Arizona about to flip. That would be the icing on the cake.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Meanwhile, in the real world, 538 (no doubt with biased mathematics) is now giving Clinton an 82% chance of winning, with Arizona about to flip. That would be the icing on the cake.
    That would be the same Nate Silver who said Remain would win EU ref. At the moment Clinton probably has the edge but there is still a month of the campaign to go
  • Options

viewcode said:

And do you think you're typical ?
    Nobody has ever accused me of it... :)

This discussion has been closed.