Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we move to the crucial second Trump-Clinton debate the live

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we move to the crucial second Trump-Clinton debate the live Betfair betting odds

This is for the £56m next President market on Betfair:-

Read the full story here

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    1st. like Clinton
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    2nd like Johnson
    Just put money on Ryan and Pence. Gotta a feeling that 2016's amazing rollercoaster in world politics 'aint over just yet. Still green on Clinton, but less now.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If nothing else, this election certainly isn't dull.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

And so on for the next month.

You'll have TSE posting the Chloe Moretz pic if you're not careful.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

And so on for the next month.

twitter.com/SweetPeaPatsy/status/784851509351559168

Very good :D
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    In the 538 website there is an article on President's approval ratings throughout their term in office.

It is quite remarkable that Bill Clinton's ratings hardly ever slumped, even during Lewinsky, and was very strong when he left office.
    McCain withdraws support for the Groper in Chief. About friggin time.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,191
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    surbiton said:

In the 538 website there is an article on President's approval ratings throughout their term in office.

It is quite remarkable that Bill Clinton's ratings hardly ever slumped, even during Lewinsky, and was very strong when he left office.

The Republicans got furious that the American public didn't care.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    surbiton said:

The economy was booming, and he hardly did anything. Thats why.

I am sick of popcorn. I'm hoping to diet in 2017.
  • I laughed so hard I broke a rib
  • nunu said:

surbiton said:

That's not what Monica said..
  • FPT - But relevant to this thread, SPIN have this up on their markets

Bets placed on a candidate after an official announcement of their withdrawal from the race will be void.
    nunu said:

surbiton said:

Yes, he did not have sexual relations with that woman.
  • If nothing else, this election certainly isn't dull.

https://media.giphy.com/media/pmpTiiqJlgccU/giphy.gif
    Can someone who has followed every twist and turn on this madness explain the TicTac thing?

Tic Tac USA ‏@TicTacUSA 3h3 hours ago
    Tic Tac respects all women. We find the recent statements and behavior completely inappropriate and unacceptable.
  • Just turned on CNN for half an hour...I now have a splitting headache.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2016

Can someone who has followed every twist and turn on this madness explain the TicTac thing?

Tic Tac respects all women. We find the recent statements and behavior completely inappropriate and unacceptable.

On the tape, there was some comment about better use some tic tacs before meeting the host.

Edit: Exact quote.

“I’ve got to use some Tic Tacs, just in case I start kissing her,” Trump says about the actress who was on her way to pick him up for a Days of Our Lives appearance.
  • RobD said:

nunu said:

surbiton said:

It was a masterful and scholarly legal defence employed by Bill Clinton, I was impressed by it.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

I was going to ask the same question.
  • Can someone who has followed every twist and turn on this madness explain the TicTac thing?

You can use the mint-flavor ones as a breath freshener, I guess.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Alistair said:

surbiton said:

Mostly I think because Bill managed a much better functioning economy, with steadily falling unemployment:

http://historyinpieces.com/research/us-unemployment-rates-president

• Alistair said:

surbiton said:

Mostly I think because Bill managed a much better functioning economy, with steadily falling unemployment:

http://historyinpieces.com/research/us-unemployment-rates-president

Plus a recalcitrant Congress from 1994 helped Bill Clinton look like a moderate and good President.
    I bet Biden is lying in bed tonight thinking why the hell didn't I stand! This would have been the landslide to end all landslides.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Confectionery has taken a surprisingly large role in this election. I doubt that either Skittles or Tic Tacs expected to be sucked into it. Given the way that Donald Trump's mind seems to work, Hershey must be on edge.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    "If there is any material change to the established role or any ambiguity as to who occupies the position, then Betfair may determine, using its reasonable discretion, how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time."

So how exactly will Betfair settle is if Trump's name is on the ballot but he is not the official nominee ?
  • Confectionery has taken a surprisingly large role in this election. I doubt that either Skittles or Tic Tacs expected to be sucked into it. Given the way that Donald Trump's mind seems to work, Hershey must be on edge.

Hershey chocolate....yuck...
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Indeed. It's been quite a rollercoaster since May 2015, things will calm down now that Corbyn is back in charge I'm sure...
    Sorry to blow my trumpet all SeanT style, but I have been pilloried on here the last few nights for saying repeatedly that Trump had already lost.

He's lost. It's over.

The question is the scale of the landslide. And no, it doesn't matter there's still a month to go. Voting has started.

• If nothing else, this election certainly isn't dull.

Indeed. It's been quite a rollercoaster since May 2015, things will calm down now that Corbyn is back in charge I'm sure...
    Well he managed to conduct his reshuffle without any problems...on wait...

Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet reshuffle prompts new Labour row

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37594424
  • Confectionery has taken a surprisingly large role in this election. I doubt that either Skittles or Tic Tacs expected to be sucked into it. Given the way that Donald Trump's mind seems to work, Hershey must be on edge.

Hershey's truly is the Devil's buttermilk
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    I'll be interested to see what Trump's debating TicTacs are.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Confectionery has taken a surprisingly large role in this election. I doubt that either Skittles or Tic Tacs expected to be sucked into it. Given the way that Donald Trump's mind seems to work, Hershey must be on edge.

Skittles was a 4chan meme based on Trayvon Martin plus an older meme that used M&Ms.
    Trump allegedly agrees his own daughter is a piece of ass:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/trump-on-howard-stern/index.html
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited October 2016
    It feels the only way Clinton is going to lose this election is if The Guardian does a letter writing campaign for her.

Edit as some wag on twitter put it

..or she engraves her campaign pledges on a 12 ft stone plinth
    By my count, 52 GOP governors, senators and representatives have now stated that they do not support Trump. (That's 16% of total.)
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited October 2016

I can't think of a crappier PR thing - there's no brand values attribute associated with politics or social leaning. Imagine Branston pickle saying this...

Beyond daft.

And there is a UKIP leadership contest to enjoy too, if you like bloodsports.
    Is Pence the only viable replacement, since his name is on the ballot, or is the field open?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Re: Betfair rules, it will be Trump or Hillary unless one of them dies. If Trump somehow wins 270 ECVS you will see a lot of rowing back.. If he doesn't which looks likely then it is HRC
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

Is Pence the only viable replacement, since his name is on the ballot, or is the field open?

They have already settled that Pence-Carson will be the replacement ticket once Trump is out.

The only question is when not if.
  • RobD said:

He's only viable if Trump voluntarily quits and even then there's 50 plus states and territories with their own electoral laws, and in some states the ballot papers have already gone out.
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

They have already settled that Pence-Carson will be the replacement ticket once Trump is out.

They have?
  • Trump could well be out of this now.

What was Smithson on about in the last thread? More people voted for Brexit than have ever voted for anything in this nation's history.
    "It has become clear to party leaders and strategists over the past 24 hours that Trump’s chances of winning the presidency are less than 20 percent, if not less than 10 percent"

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/300036-senate-republicans-wrestle-over-dumping-trum

They have finally logged on to 538!!

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

They have?
    According to a source from the Trump team.
    PlatoSaid said:

I can't think of a crappier PR thing - there's no brand values attribute associated with politics or social leaning. Imagine Branston pickle saying this...

Beyond daft.
    Piling in on a loser is clearly seen as an attractive marketing ploy and let face it America is the land of the winner...

The question is how big can the win get? Could Arizona be in play, or Indiana?
  • PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.
    Piling in on a loser is clearly seen as an attractive marketing ploy and let face it America is the land of the winner...

Talking up my own book, I reckon Texas is in play now.

Trump could well be out of this now.

What was Smithson on about in the last thread? More people voted for Brexit than have ever voted for anything in this nation's history.

When were they last asked a binary question?

Five years before. How could you so easily forget the glorious AV referendum?
    edited October 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

I got on Texas today at 10/1 with Shadsy; but it seems to have gone.

I would have thought that Arizona would be a better bet than Indiana, which will get some Pence benefit.

Utah too. Mormans for Trump? I think not.

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

If the election where today or tomorrow, Hillary would win all states except W.Virginia and Wyoming.

"Is Neil Kinnock alright?"
    Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

If the election where today or tomorrow, Hillary would win all states except W.Virginia and Wyoming.
    Makes you wonder why they didn't wait until a few days before the election!
    Dear Lord. Why the hell didn't Jeb or Christie pull this out of the archives?
  • From George W Bush's lawyer, who worked on the Florida 2000 court cases

https://twitter.com/samsanders/status/784797038642917376
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Wikileaks
    We have published 1% of the #PodestaEmails so far. Additional publications will proceed throughout the election period.
  • Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

Idaho?
    edited October 2016

He's only viable if Trump voluntarily quits and even then there's 50 plus states and territories with their own electoral laws, and in some states the ballot papers have already gone out.

If the various states rules conflict could we see no President elected as nobody officially passes 270 votes? So then the House of Representatives elects the President. All assuming the GOP replacement is a much more attractive candidate.

Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

Idaho?
    Hillary has her own private Idaho.
    glw said:

If the various states rules conflict could we see no President elected as nobody officially passes 270 votes? So then the House of Representatives elects the President.
    Could you imagine if that happens and they still elected Trump... :p
  • Can someone who has followed every twist and turn on this madness explain the TicTac thing?

http://order-order.com/2016/10/08/full-trump-tape-apology/

"Is Neil Kinnock alright?"
    Neil Kinnock would be mightily alright in the current circumstances....
    glw said:

If the various states rules conflict could we see no President elected as nobody officially passes 270 votes? So then the House of Representatives elects the President.
    ...and the Senate elects the Vice President! Between that, the registration-per-state, and the electoral college generally, our American friends really should bring their elections out of the 18th century.

Then again that would make their politics a lot less interesting ;)
  • PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

I would have thought that Arizona would be a better bet than Indiana, which will get some Trump benefit.

16/1 for me. I nearly did a thread on Utah going for Hillary. Headline was

'Donald Trump, Utah Saint or Utah Sinner? Clinton's campaign is doing Something Good'

But here's the most important news stories from today, the GOP are avoiding Trump like a bad case of the clap, which screws up his ground game/GOTV

https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/784828536880115712
    https://twitter.com/politicoalex/status/784822932119887872

From George W Bush's lawyer, who worked on the Florida 2000 court cases

Rule 9:

"Legal experts say that RNC rule 9 allows the Republican National Committee “to fill any and all vacancies which may occur by reason of death, declination, or otherwise of the Republican candidate for President of the United States” "

Otherwise?
  • 619619 Posts: 1,784
    PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks
    We have published 1% of the #PodestaEmails so far. Additional publications will proceed throughout the election period.

no one cares. The NBC Trump tapes will take precedence
    Los Angeles Times ‏@latimes 56m

Breaking: 3 police officers have been shot in Palm Springs. Story to come.
    Essexit said:

...and the Senate elects the Vice President! Between that, the registration-per-state, and the electoral college generally, our American friends really should bring their elections out of the 18th century.

Then again that would make their politics a lot less interesting ;)

The fools shouldn't write down the rules, we at least can easily fudge our way around such problems.
    619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks

Isn't Wikileaks now part of the Russian government? Or did I mishear something earlier?
    nunu said:

Los Angeles Times ‏@latimes 56m

Breaking: 3 police officers have been shot in Palm Springs. Story to come.

Events can quickly make moral outrage look like the decadent irrelevancy it is.

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

I would have thought that Arizona would be a better bet than Indiana, which will get some Trump benefit.

'Donald Trump, Utah Saint or Utah Sinner? Clinton's campaign is doing Something Good'

But here's the most important news stories from today, the GOP are avoiding Trump like a bad case of the clap, which screws up his ground game/GOTV

Possibly the other value bet is Johnson over 10% at 5/1 at Ladbrokes.

State winner in New Mex or Utah too?
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

Makes you wonder why they didn't wait until a few days before the election!
    Because they are still keeping the worse for then.
  • 619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks

Isn't Wikileaks now part of the Russian government? Or did I mishear something earlier?
    You didn't mishear, plus Wikileaks have history of hyping their leaks beforehand, and it turns out to be all fart and no follow through
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

RobD said:

nunu said:

surbiton said:

It was a masterful and scholarly legal defence employed by Bill Clinton, I was impressed by it.
    Yes. But you did not swallow it.

BOOM! Drops the mic... :)

You didn't mishear, plus Wikileaks have history of hyping their leaks beforehand, and it turns out to be all fart and no follow through

All trump and no bump?

From George W Bush's lawyer, who worked on the Florida 2000 court cases

There are provisions regarding physical or mental incapacitation of the nominee.
    Trump can be declared mentally incapacitated, and be replaced.

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

I have a tenner on Johnson in Utah at 12/1 - feeling reasonably happy with that right now.
    Speedy said:

There are provisions regarding physical or mental incapacitation of the nominee.
    Trump can be declared mentally incapacitated, and be replaced.

Which side won the Cold War again?
  • viewcode said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

surbiton said:

Yes. But you did not swallow it.

BOOM! Drops the mic... :)
    Back in 1999, Monica Lewinsky came to Sheffield to do a tour/signing of her book about the affair.

I asked her 'Was it a blow by blow account'?

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks

us intelligence released a report saying that russia are forging documents and using wikileaks as there method for worldwide distibution
    edited October 2016
    Frances Serrano, who lives directly across the street from where the shooting took place, spoke to the father of the suspected shooter moments before the incident. The father told Serrano that his son, who has mental issues, had a gun and wanted to shoot cops.

“He came over and asked for help,” she said.

Serrano called the police and the father walked back toward his house. Soon after, Serrano heard gunshots.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2016/10/08/palm-springs-officer-involved-shooting-leads-heightened-police-activity/91797350/
    Essexit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

I have a tenner on Johnson in Utah at 12/1 - feeling reasonably happy with that right now.
    Could Johnson appear in the third debate if his polling goes up?
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    There is a serious note about this....I saw it with the Italians and Berlusconi; many people either ignored or tacitly were even supportive of the sleazebag's exploitation of his wealth and position to have sex with young girls. But Berlusconi degraded Italy. Gaddafi too exploited his power and wealth for sexual favours, often under the covert approval of other world leaders whom he tried to impress.

But we see it all the time....old men, fat bellies, bald, ugly, morally corrupted accessing young women purely because they have money. It is just really horrible because a young woman could not enjoy having a 17 stone, sweaty, old man, probably using viagra or other drugs heaving away on top of them. Highly unpleasant.
  • 619 said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks

us intelligence released a report saying that russia are forging documents and using wikileaks as there method for worldwide distibution
    Well with the Clinton Wall Street speeches the solution is fairly simple. She can just release them all herself.

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

Trump's GOTV has been dead for weeks.

It's over.

He needs a Black Swan the size of Manhattan to get out of this now.
    edited October 2016

15% average is the polling cut off, could happen if this drags on.
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

I thought it was too late for all of that. That it had to be an average in a set of polls that were taken weeks ago?

Trump's GOTV has been dead for weeks.

It's over.

He needs a Black Swan the size of Manhattan to get out of this now.

Voters would by-pass Trump in any event of a black swan.
    He is as politically dead as the Liberal Democrats.

Essexit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Beyond daft.

That's my understanding of it but I'm not 100%. A quick Google hasn't confirmed one way or the other.
    edited October 2016

Frances Serrano, who lives directly across the street from where the shooting took place, spoke to the father of the suspected shooter moments before the incident. The father told Serrano that his son, who has mental issues, had a gun and wanted to shoot cops.

“He came over and asked for help,” she said.

Serrano called the police and the father walked back toward his house. Soon after, Serrano heard gunshots.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2016/10/08/palm-springs-officer-involved-shooting-leads-heightened-police-activity/91797350/

This piece by Reggie Yates the other night was rather good, and not unsympathetic to the cops. Recommended.

Reggie Yates: Life and Death in Chicago: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0492hzr via @bbciplayer
    Republican women are abandoning Donald Trump in an historic repudiation of their party’s nominee, a devastating development for the GOP candidate's chances one month before Election Day.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/republican-women-trump-229360#ixzz4MXNG6lkv

Speedy said:

I thought it was too late for all of that. That it had to be an average in a set of polls that were taken weeks ago?
    The third debate is still 10 days away.
    Really, Trump needs to spend the next debate abusing and attacking white, middle aged males who are angry about stuff and he has the full set. Not a single demographic left.

619 said:

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks

Well with the Clinton Wall Street speeches the solution is fairly simple. She can just release them all herself.
    yeah. Clinton is really in trouble.

or she could just say its a fake document, as backed up by US intelligence
This discussion has been closed.