Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON lead with YouGov down to 5 percent once again

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON lead with YouGov down to 5 percent once again

Once again the Sun has not disappointed us. Generally we have to wait until 6am for its daily YouGov poll to be released by the pollster. But if it is good for the blues then, like now, it is Tweeted early.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    As much fun as it is to say Sleazy broken Labour on the slide, let's wait for the Guardian/ICM and Mori polls next week.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited July 2013
    Typo in header, should be Labour lead down.....
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited July 2013
    To think some might have doubted the wisdom of little Ed caving in to the Dan Hodges and Blairites running around shrieking about evil unions. More fool them. ;)

It's not quite a trend yet but when the main (and because of the ConDem coalition) virtually only westminster opposition party spends more time opposing itself than the government then this sort of thing is only going to get worse for them. Falkirk is a symptom not the cause.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    john_zims said:

Typo in header, should be Labour lead down.....

Thanks for that. Fixed.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    O/T:
    "Nigeria 'forgives' killers of 100 police and security officers

Anger over official's comments as Nigerians ask whether any other country would tolerate the deaths of so many crime fighters":
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/09/nigeria-forgives-police-killers
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    edited July 2013
    Putting these figures into the UKPR calculator gives:

Lab 353
    Con 245
    LD 26
    Others 26

Lab maj — 56, (ie. 28 seats over the winning post).

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/swing-calculator
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Andy_JS said:

Putting these figures into the UKPR calculator gives....

Irrelevant.

Hung Parliament #2 here we come...

Tories will win the popular vote...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    RodCrosby said:

Andy_JS said:

Putting these figures into the UKPR calculator gives....

Irrelevant.

Hung Parliament #2 here we come...

Tories will win the popular vote...
    IIUC the by-election swingback stuff looks like the popular vote could go either way. Are you basing you confidence about this in the thought that Ed Miliband will suck in the debates?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov

Local councils in many parts of Britain are
    cutting some of their services. Thinking about
    the area where you live, which of these
    statements comes closest to your view?

Central government is mainly responsible, because
    it is cutting sharply the money it gives to the council
    where I live: 37(-4)
    My local council is mainly responsible, because it
    could achieve most of the savings it needs by
    cutting costs, without cutting services: 31(+3)
    Neither - I am not aware of significant cuts to
    services in my area: 21(+1)
    DK: 11(0)

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's just one poll.

Meanwhile, Suzanne Moore succeeds in a single article to get me nodding vigorously in agreement and rolling my eyes in quick succession:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/10/people-lost-interest-party-politics

Least surprising revelation in the article: "most of my friends work in the public sector".
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    If Labour's lead is still an average +8, we'd better see a few double digit leads pdq.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The most significant bit of this poll is not the lead but the Labour vote share. That looks to be at the lowest it has been for a while with YouGov and is getting dangerously close to the 35% mark. A few more along similar lines and it will be squeeky bum time in Dartmouth Park.

On another note, it's overcast and vaguely cool in Leamington this morning. Let's hope there are similar conditions in Nottingham for most of the day and that England's bowlers can continue to dig our lamentable batsmen out of the hole they created for themselves.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning.
    All the calculations below for this poll as well as others recently are really worthless as to where we will all be in 2015. If a week is a long time in politics, then 20 odd months is eons away. Even trends are useless until all pollsters stop ignoring UKIP and treat the party seriously on equall terms with the other three.
  • Options
    tim said:

It's the weekly PB Tory overreaction thread.

But that's your problem tim...it's now more frequent than "weekly"......the last double digit lead was a fortnight ago.....we've had six 5/6 leads since then......
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    There are many factors at work. But I think there is a small but detectable effect that when the public sees more of Ed Milliband, they support Labour slightly less.
  • Options

The most significant bit of this poll is not the lead but the Labour vote share. That looks to be at the lowest it has been for a while with YouGov and is getting dangerously close to the 35% mark.

Last 37 was end-May - before that Nov 2010....

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/m0tyw8kzfq/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Voting-Trends-with-UKIP-100713.pdf
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hullo, it's tim
    and C Vance,
    time to do
    their daily dance
    about the polls,
    when all we want to do,
    is go on our bloody hols.
  • Options
    For the Baby Boomers among us:

'10 Baby Boomer 'entitlements' today's youth won't have
    HSBC chief economist Stephen King claims rich Baby Boomers (those born between 1946 and 1964) are behaving like the nobility in the Peasants’ Revolt and risk an uprising by the younger generation. We look at 10 'entitlements' they have enjoyed:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10171591/10-Baby-Boomer-entitlements-todays-youth-wont-have.html
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    The LAB lead with YouGov down to 5 percent once again, and the betting markets ignore it, once again.

CON MAJ still 4/1
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

The LAB lead with YouGov down to 5 percent once again, and the betting markets ignore it, once again.

CON MAJ still 4/1

Not quite yet nailed on, I'd say ;)
  • Options
    BBC Breaking News
    Police called to UK's tallest building, the Shard in central London, as attempt to scale it made by six people.

Well it had to happen sooner rather than later. I wonder if SeanT is one of the climbers?
  • Options
    "He's not exactly standard Now material, but when we 
were offered Labour leader Ed Miliband's most intimate interview yet, we couldn't say no."

Read more at http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/546114/ed-miliband-my-brother-david-is-hotter-that-s-not-what-my-wife-says#6wRIvOjHVX7FqyTU.99

The ITV photo editor on the other hand:

Ed Miliband: Being compared to Wallace 'just a bit of fun'

http://www.itv.com/news/2013-07-11/ed-miliband-opens-up-about-family-fashion-and-romance/

Has Cameron done an interview with "Now"?

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    FPT - thanks to @Gilbert_Pinfold for his X-Fronts post - made me LOL
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    MikeK said:

Hullo, it's tim
    and C Vance,
    time to do
    their daily dance
    about the polls,
    when all we want to do,

I am gagging for a holiday. I just want to do nothing except eat, drink, read and have a walk and swim every now and again.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Westminster kite flying Faslane Nuke base as UK sovereign territory should Scotland become independent.

SNP incoming :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23265886
  • Options

MikeK said:

Hullo, it's tim
    and C Vance,
    time to do
    their daily dance
    about the polls,
    when all we want to do,

I am gagging for a holiday. I just want to do nothing except eat, drink, read and have a walk and swim every now and again.

No rumpy pumpy then .... dull holiday old fruit !!

• Options
    MikeK said:

BBC Breaking News
    Police called to UK's tallest building, the Shard in central London, as attempt to scale it made by six people.

Well it had to happen sooner rather than later. I wonder if SeanT is one of the climbers?

Apparently it's a Greenpeace stunt. Just ignore them, refrain from giving them publicity and they'll bugger off to Faslane !!

• Options
    He, he! Those Immigration statistics coming under closer scrutiny. The coalitions pius words are turning out to be so much mouthings. Vote UKIP to control our borders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23265391
  • Options
    Wow .... three posts after 7.00am in a row. Must be a slow day down the Cheshire bunker.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

He, he! Those Immigration statistics coming under closer scrutiny. The coalitions pius words are turning out to be so much mouthings. Vote UKIP to control our borders.

Apart from 6 months in 2010 I think you'll find the Coalition wasn't the government of the day. Vote UKIP to control our bladders.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh, it's suddenly quietsville on PB.
    All those Lab/lib/Con supporters on PB digesting those immigration statistics. Yes! A lot of food for thought there.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @MikeK I'm on my way to Manchester right now. I'll keep an eye out for all those immigrants for you.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I can hear J Kelly spluttering
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeK said:

To be fair, the criticism is of the 10 years to 2011 (not sure if calender or fiscal year).

It's a little unreasonable to blame the coalition entirely for this.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

CV,

I totally agree, think of all the things this deprived generation doesn't have that we took for granted ...

Polio and an iron lung, tuberculosis, the risk of smallpox, smog, the threat of instant annihilation from Russia, nuclear testing, beginning work at fifteen - a five and half day week.

And what have the poor dears got instead ....

Central heating, carpets, fridges, television, cars, foreign holidays, mobile phones, gap years, sex and a wide selection of drugs.

Yes, my heart bleeds. Something must be done.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@MikeK I'm on my way to Manchester right now. I'll keep an eye out for all those immigrants for you.

• Options
    @JackW
    Apart from 6 months in 2010 I think you'll find the Coalition wasn't the government of the day. Vote UKIP to control our bladders.

Before the crash in '08 didn't Cammo say that they'd match the government in spending?
    Well a lot of that was on immigration. Mouthings of a wet flabby red-faced codfish!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    JackW said:

Westminster kite flying Faslane Nuke base as UK sovereign territory should Scotland become independent.

SNP incoming :

Never look a gift horse in the mouth Jack. And, as gift horses go, this one is a solid 24 carat gold stallion.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    See you all later. First breakfast; then watching Golf from Scotland and later listening to the Ashes cricket at the same time. What better way to spend the day?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

You mean Sir Alex Ferguson and David Moyes ?!?

• Options
    MikeK said:

@JackW

Before the crash in '08 didn't Cammo say that they'd match the government in spending?
    Well a lot of that was on immigration. Mouthings of a wet flabby red-faced codfish!

Gibberish .... or as I call it Ukip economic policy.

• Options
    RobD said:

CON MAJ still 4/1

Not quite yet nailed on, I'd say ;)
    I think we'll have to wait until Con Maj is at 2/1 before they start with the nailed on buffoonery. Can't wait.
  • Options

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

Never look a gift horse in the mouth Jack. And, as gift horses go, this one is a pure 24 carat gold stallion.

I see James Kelly getting in the saddle as we speak ....

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    JackW said:

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

Never look a gift horse in the mouth Jack. And, as gift horses go, this one is a pure 24 carat gold stallion.

I see James Kelly getting in the saddle as we speak ....

Dangerous, energy policy means there are a lot more windmills in Scotland to tilt at.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Slightly surprised by the sovereign territory idea. However, if Scotland votes for separation and there's no sovereign territory deal over Faslane then the costs of relocation should be part of separation negotiations. Hopefully it won't come to that.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Slightly surprised by the sovereign territory idea. However, if Scotland votes for separation and there's no sovereign territory deal over Faslane then the costs of relocation should be part of separation negotiations. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Personally I think it;s a daft idea, the kind of thing pushed by accountants. If the UK chooses to keeps nukes it should keep them on its own territory
  • Options
    If you didn't see it - Michael Deacon's sketch captures it perfectly.

"This afternoon, a Commons select committee interrogated, among others, Lucy Adams, the BBC’s head of HR. Her salary, apparently – I won’t ask you to guess, or we’ll be here all day – is £320,000. Among her duties was to dole out severance pay to Mark Byford, the BBC’s former Deputy Director General. That severance pay was £949,000. So essentially the BBC paid one person £320,000 to give another person £949,000.

Still, the exchanges was quite entertaining to watch, in a way. When Hollywood finally comes to make a blockbuster film about the Public Accounts Committee’s investigations into BBC severance pay – and, given the clamour from cinema-goers and critics alike, it’s only a matter of time – we can expect to see some serious talent in the lead roles.

In the role of Margaret Hodge, the committee’s chairman, I can see Penelope Keith, or Patricia Routledge. But even actresses of their calibre won’t find it easy to capture Lady Hodge’s towering hauteur. Her every sigh suggests that everyone present is wasting her time and where in heaven’s name is that silly girl with that coffee she ordered, it must be half an hour ago now at least.

The role of Lord Patten, meanwhile, was clearly made for Roger Allam, who is already acclaimed for his performance in an eerily similar role as Peter Mannion MP in The Thick of It. The droll disdain, the deadpan exasperation, the just-about-contained irritability… It’s got to be Allam all the way. (This afternoon an MP asked Lord Patten whether he planned to extend his stay as BBC Trust chairman. “So that I could enjoy appearing in front of the Public Accounts Committee even more regularly?” he replied, dry as a cat’s tongue.)..." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10172309/Sketch-BBC-pay-offs-fail-to-pay-off.html
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Personally I think it;s a daft idea, the kind of thing pushed by accountants. If the UK chooses to keeps nukes it should keep them on its own territory
    Technically speaking, if they go down tis route, then Faslane would be rUK territory...

(But I agree with you. The cost should be part of the overall settlement though)
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Brooke, that was my feeling. However, if a Scottish decision costs us tens of billions it's legitimate to raise this in negotiations.
  • Options
    Well Labour is the party of the state. Miliblob is in the news a bit lately (never good for Labour polling) trying to explain how he'll do something about being Red Len's bitch and their utterly corrupt internal party machine politics.

So if Labour is not for unionised workers (the public sector payroll vote), or for business or for aspiring white van men - then who is Labour for? Labour under Redward is fast becoming the home for Fabian Islington wonks, BBC/ Guardianista types, sofa chavs and Cheshire farmers. His class war PMQ line yesterday sits ill at ease with this. In fact - just WTF is Labour for these days?

Policy incoherence and Redward's face will only get more visible in the run up to 2015. Another hung parliament looms.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

Never look a gift horse in the mouth Jack. And, as gift horses go, this one is a solid 24 carat gold stallion.

It's more of a Trojan horse than gift horse. Beware.
  • Options

Indeed, Mr. Brooke, that was my feeling. However, if a Scottish decision costs us tens of billions it's legitimate to raise this in negotiations.

Nice to see the word "us" being used in a sense which excludes the Scots. Better get used to it.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Charles said:

Good morning, everyone.

Technically speaking, if they go down tis route, then Faslane would be rUK territory...

(But I agree with you. The cost should be part of the overall settlement though)
    Sorry Charles effing stupid idea, the same thing was tried in Ireland post 1922 ( Berehaven, Queenstown and Lough Swilly ) and then the eejits in HMG handed the bases over just in time for them to be of no use in WW2 and the battle of the Atlantic. Much better to have a defence policy based on home territory and face the reality of where we are.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296
    Plato said:

If you didn't see it - Michael Deacon's sketch captures it perfectly.

"This afternoon, a Commons select committee interrogated, among others, Lucy Adams, the BBC’s head of HR. Her salary, apparently – I won’t ask you to guess, or we’ll be here all day – is £320,000. Among her duties was to dole out severance pay to Mark Byford, the BBC’s former Deputy Director General. That severance pay was £949,000. So essentially the BBC paid one person £320,000 to give another person £949,000.

Still, the exchanges was quite entertaining to watch, in a way. When Hollywood finally comes to make a blockbuster film about the Public Accounts Committee’s investigations into BBC severance pay – and, given the clamour from cinema-goers and critics alike, it’s only a matter of time – we can expect to see some serious talent in the lead roles.

In the role of Margaret Hodge, the committee’s chairman, I can see Penelope Keith, or Patricia Routledge. But even actresses of their calibre won’t find it easy to capture Lady Hodge’s towering hauteur. Her every sigh suggests that everyone present is wasting her time and where in heaven’s name is that silly girl with that coffee she ordered, it must be half an hour ago now at least.

The role of Lord Patten, meanwhile, was clearly made for Roger Allam, who is already acclaimed for his performance in an eerily similar role as Peter Mannion MP in The Thick of It. The droll disdain, the deadpan exasperation, the just-about-contained irritability… It’s got to be Allam all the way. (This afternoon an MP asked Lord Patten whether he planned to extend his stay as BBC Trust chairman. “So that I could enjoy appearing in front of the Public Accounts Committee even more regularly?” he replied, dry as a cat’s tongue.)..." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10172309/Sketch-BBC-pay-offs-fail-to-pay-off.html

Well written but this really is not funny. The BBC spends taxpayer's money and those responsible for wasting millions on unnecessary payouts should be sacked and sued.

In Scotland my local paper has been running a long story about the level of payoffs received by those leaving local government. Once again completely unjustifiable and without any sense of commercial reality. People within a year of retirement are receiving two or more year's salary as an incentive to retire early. Oh and any pension shortfall is made up as well.

The fundamental problem in both is that those making the decisions to pay have a vested interest in keeping this merry go round going until it is their turn. We seriously need some Admiral Byngs to stop this. The PAC are doing a good job but there is a limit to their powers and more direct action is needed.

• Options
    *raises an eyebrow*

Mr. Dickson, I was simply using correct English for a theoretical post-partition matter. No need to get excited.
  • Options

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

Oh yes, I forgot, the Unionists have been such wise and astute strategists to date. Ho ho.

The last 40 years would tend to teach us that the wisest strategists are on the Scottish side. After all, Donald Dewar pulled a total blinder on the normally canny Blair.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Yes - the SNP have said it wants the nukes removed as soon as safely practicable - so it would be in their interest to agree a lease with rapidly escalating annual rent to encourage the MOD to get its finger out and shift them. What the cousins have to say in the matter and Scotland accession to NATO may be another matter altogether.....but the idea that Faslane could be like the Cyprus bases is for the birds.....

• Options

Charles said:

Good morning, everyone.

Sorry Charles effing stupid idea, the same thing was tried in Ireland post 1922 ( Berehaven, Queenstown and Lough Swilly ) and then the eejits in HMG handed the bases over just in time for them to be of no use in WW2 and the battle of the Atlantic. Much better to have a defence policy based on home territory and face the reality of where we are.
    As I said, I agree with you. Guantanamo isn't doing the US any favours right now either
  • Options

*raises an eyebrow*

Mr. Dickson, I was simply using correct English for a theoretical post-partition matter. No need to get excited.

It gave a mere warm ripple of pleasure. You'll know when I get excited.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

You must be mistaken. Barking mad lunatic posturing like that could never be a bad idea if the PB Tories cheer it on. When are they ever wrong?

Have you learned nothing from the scottish tory surge?

*tears of laughter etc.*
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Yes - the SNP have said it wants the nukes removed as soon as safely practicable - so it would be in their interest to agree a lease with rapidly escalating annual rent to encourage the MOD to get its finger out and shift them. What the cousins have to say in the matter and Scotland accession to NATO may be another matter altogether.....but the idea that Faslane could be like the Cyprus bases is for the birds.....

Much more likely is friendly Eck in his desperation to find mates lets a big radioactive yank fleet use the facilities as part of a nuclear free Scotland.

New balls please, I laughed the old ones off.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    re. The Shard

BBC: "He added that the women climbers were all well trained and that it was not dangerous. If they manage to get to the top of the building, they plan on installing a piece of art."

Clever Greenpeace, guarantees acres of coverage in the papers, much, much moreso than a Spiderman suit.

Art? God help us.
  • Options

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

Oh yes, I forgot, the Unionists have been such wise and astute strategists to date. Ho ho.

The last 40 years would tend to teach us that the wisest strategists are on the Scottish side. After all, Donald Dewar pulled a total blinder on the normally canny Blair.
    Yes so clever they kept themselves inside the UK for nearly all the period of North Sea oil extraction and decided to leave when it was running out.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

You must be mistaken. Barking mad lunatic posturing like that could never be a bad idea if the PB Tories think it's a good idea.

*tears of laughter etc.*
    Ruth Davidson has got to be one of my all time favourite politicians. She is a solid 24 carat... oh, wait... I've already used that one.

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    As the whole of Scotland is currently sovereign territory ......
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Ah! A bit disappointng. Aren't we having our own Guantanamo Bay in Scotland after all?
  • Options
    On topic this is the usual problem of too many Yougovs creating a lot of statistical noise which obscures as much as it illuminates. The general trend for the Labour lead has been down but whether that is continuing or has stabilised at this lower level (approximately 7) is not clear yet.

I continue to have reservations about Yougov generally and these online polls from what must be a seriously exhausted bank of respondents who may by that process alone be becoming atypical of the population (who simply do not think about politics as often as these people are being asked). We seriously need some new information from reputable traditional pollsters to even give a clear sense of direction.

According to Yougov Labour's vote is holding up remarkably well in the face of a huge retreat on economic policy and civil war with the unions. If that is true then their vote is not as soft as some (including me) suggested. The tory vote is surprisingly high for this stage in a Parliament too, especially as the economic news has only turned better relatively recently.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

You must be mistaken. Barking mad lunatic posturing like that could never be a bad idea if the PB Tories think it's a good idea.

*tears of laughter etc.*
    Ruth Davidson has got to be one of my all time favourite politicians.
    Whatever can you mean?

In 2012 the scottish conservatives lost 20 per cent of their councillors, saw their vote fall to 13.31 per cent and local representation cut dramatically or even wiped out in some areas.

If that's not a scottish tory surge then what is? :)

• Options

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

Yes so clever they kept themselves inside the UK for nearly all the period of North Sea oil extraction and decided to leave when it was running out.
    We moved as fast as we humanly could. In the circumstances we have done extraordinarily well. After all, no-one here would have predicted 10 years ago that Scots would shortly be going to polling stations to tick Yes and No boxes on the topic of their country's independence.

The more you think about it within the historical context, the more remarkable next September's referendum becomes.

(By the way, we have not "decided to leave" just yet. We are still thinking about it.)
  • Options
    Rather misleading Sun headline:

Bulging Britain
    400,000 Bulgarians on way..UK No1 choice

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5007507/UK-revealed-as-top-destination-for-Bulgarian-emigrants.html#ixzz2YicnSfnW

And when you do read more.....the UK figure is ~80,000.....and UK is the "joint" No. 1 choice - along with Germany.....
  • Options

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

We moved as fast as we humanly could. In the circumstances we have done extraordinarily well. After all, no-one here would have predicted 10 years ago that Scots would shortly be going to polling stations to tick Yes and No boxes on the topic of their country's independence.

The more you think about it within the historical context, the more remarkable next September's referendum becomes.

(By the way, we have not "decided to leave" just yet. We are still thinking about it.)
    All this oil running out stuff is entirely new to us Stuart. We've simply never heard the like before PB tories brought it to out attention.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-oil-debate-for-busy-people/

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Much more likely is friendly Eck in his desperation to find mates lets a big radioactive yank fleet use the facilities as part of a nuclear free Scotland.

I don't think that the post-independence Scotland will have any problem whatsoever finding mates, colleagues, like-minded souls and companions. Post-independence England, on the other hand...

• Options

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

Right so moving as fast as humanly possible after 2 years of dire campaigning which hasn't changed much and still 13 months to go. Sorry Stuart the rhetoric just doesn't hold up. The vote caught the SNP unawares as much as anyone else it's quite clear they hadn't even thought of half the questions let alone the answers to them. Canny ? Strategy ? Can't see it myself.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Good morning, everyone.

I don't think that the post-independence Scotland will have any problem whatsoever finding mates, colleagues, like-minded souls and companions. Post-independence England, on the other hand...

As remarkable as Cammie's Cast Iron IN/OUT referendum? The one he doesn't have a clue which side he will support yet still has gullible eurosceptics hopes up despite him making a fool of them so many times before?

*chortle*

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Good morning, everyone.

As I said, I agree with you. Guantanamo isn't doing the US any favours right now either
    What is this I hear? Division within the Unionist ranks?

C'mon chaps, stiff upper lip and all that. Can't show the Jocks that we are irresolute.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On topic this is the usual problem of too many Yougovs creating a lot of statistical noise which obscures as much as it illuminates. The general trend for the Labour lead has been down but whether that is continuing or has stabilised at this lower level (approximately 7) is not clear yet.

I continue to have reservations about Yougov generally and these online polls from what must be a seriously exhausted bank of respondents who may by that process alone be becoming atypical of the population (who simply do not think about politics as often as these people are being asked). We seriously need some new information from reputable traditional pollsters to even give a clear sense of direction.

According to Yougov Labour's vote is holding up remarkably well in the face of a huge retreat on economic policy and civil war with the unions. If that is true then their vote is not as soft as some (including me) suggested. The tory vote is surprisingly high for this stage in a Parliament too, especially as the economic news has only turned better relatively recently.

DavidL said:

@DavidL
    You raise a good point - what frequency of polls is required to show a trend?

Also if a monthly poll shows a very significant difference to their last poll - is it an outlier or a real change? We may not know until the next month. Types of MAT graphs are useful here.

You say, "We seriously need some new information from reputable traditional pollsters to even give a clear sense of direction. "
    Somehow Peter Kellner of YouGov may not agree with your sentiment. Did you omit the word "other" before "reputable"?

I believe that the YouGov panel is far, far larger than you may think.

• Options

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

Right so moving as fast as humanly possible after 2 years of dire campaigning which hasn't changed much and still 13 months to go. Sorry Stuart the rhetoric just doesn't hold up. The vote caught the SNP unawares as much as anyone else it's quite clear they hadn't even thought of half the questions let alone the answers to them. Canny ? Strategy ? Can't see it myself.
    The fact that you can't see it surprises me not one iota.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

In a post indy framework the UK is already installed in treaties, alliances etc. where not much will change. On current trends UK minus Scotland will still be the most populated country in Europe by 2050 and possibly the largest economy.

An indy Scotland will have to start from scratch. I'm not someone who believes that Alba won't get into EU or NATO, but I do believe it won't get in on the current terms and will have to surrender many of the opt outs the UK has negotiated. ( all that fishing and seabed might end up communautaire ) So you'll simply send more money to Brussels rather than London. Plus ca change.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Good morning, everyone.

C'mon chaps, stiff upper lip and all that. Can't show the Jocks that we are irresolute.
    Funnily enough we don't all think the same - and on this thread you've had 3 Unionists say its a daft idea - just like we regularly see the Nats criticise the SNP.......oh.....

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Financier said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

@DavidL
    You raise a good point - what frequency of polls is required to show a trend?
    Once a quarter would suffice just fine.

All this daily polling stuff is simply idiotic. A waste of everybody's time and money. Except, of course, for the owners, managers and staff of the polling companies. They love it.

• Options
    Grasp shotgun, take aim at foot and....
    All in it together? MPs WILL get a £10,000 pay rise worth up to 12 per cent

Regulator to announce award, with automatic annual increases to follow

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/all-in-it-together-mps-will-get-a-10000-pay-rise-worth-up-to-12-per-cent-8701383.html
    ...Fire!

Genius.
  • Options

JackW said:

SNP incoming :

The fact that you can't see it surprises me not one iota.
    well you Nats have had so many unpleasant surprises of late you need some consistency in life.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/all-in-it-together-mps-will-get-a-10000-pay-rise-worth-up-to-12-per-cent-8701383.html
    ...Fire!

Genius.

Their timing is perfect.

Westminster donkeys: the gift that keeps on giving.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Mick_Pork said:

...Fire!

Genius.

Utter madness. Let's hope Cam (or whomever has the option) uses the nuclear option and just vetoes the entire budget.
  • Options
    I see EdM has managed to get on the cover of Private Eye

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BO4Hz_UCUAAGUXV.jpg:large
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Good morning, everyone.

Funnily enough we don't all think the same - and on this thread you've had 3 Unionists say its a daft idea - just like we regularly see the Nats criticise the SNP.......oh.....

Funnily enough, the SNP don't publish daft press releases like today's "Guantanamo on Clyde" effort from the Unionists.

We look on in stunned amazement. But feel free to keep up the good work.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Good morning, everyone.

Funnily enough, the SNP don't publish daft press releases like today's "Guantanamo on Clyde" effort from the Unionists
    Link?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

...Fire!

Genius.
    Utter madness. Let's hope Cam (or whomever has the option) uses the nuclear option and just vetoes the entire budget.

More info from that Independent article:

"But the pay rise will offset that increase with a crackdown on perks such as meals on expenses and an end to their generous final salary pensions.

The regulator, who took over control of MPs’ pay from Parliament in 2010, will argue that, overall, the new package will only cost the taxpayer a few hundred thousand pounds a year more.

But the prospect of a pay hike is certain to spark anger against a background of austerity and public sector wage freezes. The Ipsa chairman Sir Ian Kennedy admitted last week that the 1 per cent cap on public sector pay rises made the job of reviewing MPs’ remuneration more difficult.

But he insisted there was “never a good time” to deal with the issue and warned that avoiding an increase could create another expenses-style crisis as politicians sought to top up their salaries.

The deal to be unveiled this morning is expected to back a 12 per cent rise from the current level of £66,000, to take effect after the general election in 2015.

From then on wages will rise annually in line with average UK earnings, a mechanism that the regulator hopes will ensure the situation is resolved for the long term.

However, the £15 in expenses available for dinner when the House sits beyond 7.30pm will be scrapped – saving hundreds of thousands of pounds a year. There could also be tighter rules on using taxis and restrictions on claiming running costs for second homes, such as contents insurance.

“Golden goodbye” resettlement grants of up to £65,000 that used to be handed to departing MPs will not be brought back.

Instead, those defeated at an election could be entitled to redundancy similar to other public sector organisations.

The proposals will go out for consultation before Ipsa finalises the arrangements in the autumn.

Some MPs have already indicated they would personally decline the rises.

However, it would be almost impossible for the House of Commons to reject the measure overall because it would mean clawing back powers over pay from Ipsa."
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Good morning, everyone.

Don't be silly. I've study enough Irish history to know when the tories get it wrong, they get it spectacularly wrong (grew up as a liberal unionist).

My preference would be keep the Union but in a radically different form (effectively home rule for the 4 nations, and potentially consider spliting London out as well).

If the Scots want to go off on their own, it's be a shame, but go with our blessing.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Plato said:

Bit of a joke figure is our rEd these days.
  • Options
    I wonder what Alistair Darling is thinking about this "Guantanamo on Clyde" press release today? Unprintable I should think.

If the 'No' campaign would work as a team then they might have a better chance of success. As time marches on, their disunity is only going to get worse.

If David Cameron really wants to win this referendum next September, he really ought to consult Alistair Darling before every and any HMG announcement which affects Scotland.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Plato said:

Bit of a joke figure is our rEd these days.
    Talking of jokes this is quite an amusing take on the Now article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10170948/Ed-Miliband-the-half-human-should-keep-his-sex-life-to-himself.html

In fairness it has a bit of a go at Dave in ways that Tim would recognise as well but Ed is the main target. Why does Boris get away with this sort of nonsense and every other poly in the country look a complete prat?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

...Fire!

Genius.

Hard to believe but there is in fact something even more mad.
    Threatening the public with another expenses scandal if this doesn't happen.
    Pay and Parliament: Ipsa chief says ducking decision on MPs' wages risks another expenses scandal

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/pay-and-parliament-ipsa-chief-says-ducking-decision-on-mps-wages-risks-another-expenses-scandal-8690246.html
    They really don't get it do they?

They created IPSA (as toothless and inept as it is) and then run about like headless chickens when it does what they told it to do.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    Off-topic:

A new London tourist attraction and the future of Heathrow:
    http://www.theengineer.co.uk/home/blog/flight-centres-sparks-london-air-capacity-debate/1016663.article

I actually quite like the idea of extending the Heathrow runways and splitting them into two. I wonder if it's been done anywhere else in the world in civil aviation for large aircraft? There are some difficulties that spring to mind, but I have little clue about aircraft operations.

One fro Sunil: a Radio 4 programme last night on Crossrail:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036ksz2
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,975
    On topic. My reading is that the drift away from Labour can be wholly explained by the tentative signs of 'green shoots' such as the IMF forecast upgrade. The spat about party funding is neither here nor there; fwiw, I think EdM has rather cleverly neutralised what could have been a very damaging issue, effectively blunting the Tory attack lines.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited July 2013
    "But he insisted there was “never a good time” to deal with the issue and warned that avoiding an increase could create another expenses-style crisis as politicians sought to top up their salaries."

So the IPSA chairman believes our MPs are such a thieving bunch, if we don't pay them more, they'll just steal more expenses? That is such good PR!
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Standard response to a Yougov poll showing a reduction in the Labour lead

- no one suggests its anything significant
    - Tim bleats about the "PB Tories" overreacting

In fairness to Tim, he was right about the 'curse of Cameron' dominating the media narrative in early July though. Bored of reading of it tbh.
This discussion has been closed.