Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The coalition could be heading into stormy weather over the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The coalition could be heading into stormy weather over the Royal Mail privatisation

In the first polling since Vince Cable’s Royal Mail sell-off announcement shows very substantial opposition right across the political spectrum.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    How many people know that the Post (The Royal Mail) is no longer part of the Post Office?

Am sure that separating them increased their costs unnecessarily
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Ah, right on cue, here comes Broad.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Radio 5 called people to get in touch with them the other day on this and a overwhelming majority of they listeners opposed it,so do I.
  • Options
    I would venture that if it was Labour proposing the privatisation the Lab/Con support/oppose figures would be reversed. I don't know a single person that supports the privatisation, Lab or Tory. It's going to be a vote loser.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Great last wicket partnership by Agar and the 3rd umpire!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2013
    Let's be frank. This privatisation is decidedly second class. It is questionable whether it will deliver. No wonder it lacks the stamp of approval.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    That was gettable, why doesn't Cook have anyone at second slip?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    MaxPB said:

Ah, right on cue, here comes Broad.

Sadly Cook has totally lost the plot. What was looking like a potentially series-killing romp for England has turned into a huge momentum swing for Australia. We still have a great chance in this game, but it's down to our batsmen to make the most of what are perfect conditions. And that's the worry!

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited July 2013
    I wonder how strongly held those opinions are. I doubt most voters are that bothered, although it feels like the kind of unpopular-but-worthy thing you'd like to have done well in advance of the election.

PS Maybe instead of doing a conventional privatization -> floatation thing they should consider just selling the whole thing to Deutsche Post. The voters might be a bit more enthusiastic if they could be convinced their stuff would actually get delivered under the new arrangement, rather than getting the same old rubbish British service but with more money paid to the managers.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I would venture that if it was Labour proposing the privatisation the Lab/Con support/oppose figures would be reversed. I don't know a single person that supports the privatisation, Lab or Tory. It's going to be a vote loser.

I'm all in favour of privatising the Royal Mail. Why exactly does the Government need to be in the postal business in 2013?
  • Options
    Absolutely unbelievable turnaround heading into lunch. Century last wicket stand, Agar and Hughes on half tons, Australia take a small lead into the second innings rather than ~ 100 deficit.

Our batsmen need to fire this afternoon and Cook needs to get his house in order. Shocking captaincy over the last hour, Strauss would not have been this tactically naive.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Good government doesnt rule by polling.

Any polls prior to BA or BT being privatised ?

Ignore and sell the flaming mess on.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Our batsmen need to fire this afternoon

I have no confidence that we will be batting this afternoon...

• Options
    tim said:

@Tykejonno.

As you don't live in a highly populated area (population density of Bradford Urban is half that
    of Inner London) why are you commenting?

I bet you have never been to Bradford,I remember last year,when you posted something about Bradfords population in which you got it wrong.

In the last 2 to 3 years in my area,the immigration from eastern Europe as been overwhelming,I see it with my own eyes matey not someone like you who bangs on everythings fine living in your lovely middleclass area.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Having taken a few weeks off from firing randomly at their own feet HMG has decided to go back to losing ways. Stupid.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I'm all in favour of privatising the Royal Mail. Why exactly does the Government need to be in the postal business in 2013?

If I recall correctly, the "post" is how I used to send emails when I was young.

Now I think they are just the people who stick a note through my door telling me that I've got a parcel to collect from the other side of town because I "wasn't in". That parcel is usually a book that I should be reading on my Kindle but I'm still nostalgically attached to buying in an inefficient format of pulped dead tree because it also looks good on a shelf after being used.

Time to get out of the postal business whilst someone is still stupid enough to buy into a dying industry. In ten years time you wouldn't be able to give the thing away.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    I don't want to come across as a lefty, but I'm unconvinced by this move.

However, the earlier problem which must be resolved is the fact that the EU has ruled we can't have a monopoly (ie unchallenged Royal Mail dominance) which means profitable deliveries can be undercut whilst the Mail gets lumbered with the unprofitable bits.

From a business perspective this seems odd. From what I saw on the news last night it seems that the government will dictate the price of stamps and the private provider will be obligated to deliver everywhere. Given rival private operators will not have the latter obligation I fail to see how this will resolve the problem of private competition.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Should Agar have been given out stumped early on? On TMS both Boycott, Aggers and others thought he was out?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Stick with the day job Jonathan
    Jonathan said:

Let's be frank. This privatisation is decidedly second class. It is questionable whether it will deliver. No wonder it lacks the stamp of approval.

• Options
    Mr. M, I hope you use your Kindle for books only available electronically *cough*.
  • Options
    curse of the new thread:
    Off topic: WTF is the IMF playing at in the Eurozone?

The IMF is there to help countries, not to help currencies. Right now the IMF, under its French boss, is actually damaging countries in order to help keep the Euro alive that little bit longer. This fatally compromises the credibility and impartiality of a vital international body.

A quick peek at the wiki page told me that the Eurozone countries contribute 19.5% of the IMF’s funding and get 19.5% of the votes. What are the other 80.5% supposed to make of giving money to the GIPSIs and enforcing the usual spending control disciplines but without also requiring the usual devaluation and liberalization requirements (that are impossible within the Euro)? The Eurozone periphery is in an inescapable debt spiral, it’s passed the event horizon. Lending money to insolvent sovereigns is not what IMF money should be used for without demanding that the causes behind the insolvency be repaired. For the GIPSIs that will mean leaving the Euro. Shock horror. (Would be their salvation).

I think the UK should demand a new MD for the IMF (Lagarde is deep in French bribery ordure anyway) and push for a vote (led by the other 80.5%) to stop pissing international money up the Euro wall. Time for a non-European MD methinks before the IMF loses itself
  • Options

Should Agar have been given out stumped early on? On TMS both Boycott, Aggers and others thought he was out?

It did look out, but it was not 100%.

• Options
    On topic, when push comes to shove I doubt this will shift many votes - though it may cement a few more 2010 LDs into the Labour camp.
  • Options

Whether it was out or not is irrelevant, the fact that it was given not out is. We have spectacularly failed to deal with Hughes and Agar. Cook has been tactically naive this morning.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Good government doesnt rule by polling.

Any polls prior to BA or BT being privatised ?

Ignore and sell the flaming mess on.

Maybe sell it to G4S

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh
    Un-bee-lievable. G4S charged the taxpayer to electronically tag people who were dead. Chris Grayling has called in the Serious Fraud Office.

I wonder if they were the same dead people Grant Shapps canvasses at by elections.
    If so a G4S run Royal Mail could kill two (already dead) birds with one stone.
    Isn't John Reid an adviser to G4S ? Blairism in action perhaps.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    I'm out of this test-match from a betting point of view. Won't be a draw but its getting far too weird for my liking.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    On MPs pay they're overpaid already. Supply and Demand there's a far greater supply of potential MPs than demand for them.

On Royal Mail of course it should be privatised. Why should the government be in the job of competing with UPS?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    So I wonder who the Ministers in the MoJ and the Home Office in 2005 and 2008 were.

"A review has found G4S and rival security company Serco both over-billed the taxpayer for running the tagging schemes .....

It also emerged Ministry of Justice officials first became aware of some of the problems in 2008 but failed to take appropriate action - and Mr Grayling said some civil servants may now face disciplinary action....

He added: "The audit team is at present confirming its calculations but the current estimate is that the sums involved are significant, and run into the low tens of millions in total, for both companies, since the contracts commenced in 2005."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10173615/G4S-and-Serco-Taxpayers-overcharged-by-tens-of-millions-over-electronic-tagging.html

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,055

I don't want to come across as a lefty

I think you can remain intensely relaxed on that front.
  • Options
    Mr. Smithson, that's a bit harsh. I rather liked Mr. Jonathan's post.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2013
    Support for the Royal Mail remaining within the public sector is a symptom of infectious nostalgia, a particularly British disease. It is similar to the plague which has infected supporters of the NHS and its angels of death.

It is nanny state comfort, red pillar boxes with cast-iron crown insignia, jolly bicycling postmen chased by barking dogs all straight out of Ealing Street Studios. It is island deliveries and penny postage.

It is kindly matrons in village sub post offices delivering Christmas parcels to Hovis boys in shorts. It is Hornby train sets capturing plastic mail bags.

It is pure Danny Boyle Olympics Opening Ceremony sentiment.

There is no place in a progressive 21st Century Britain for such nonsense.

• Options
    Mr. Divvie, thank you for the reassurance :)
  • Options
    @tim
    The sensible solution is to stop yet another subsidy given to the countryside.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Support for the Royal Mail remaining within the public sector is a symptom of infectious nostalgia, a particularly British disease. It is similar to the plague which has infected supporters of the NHS and its angels of death.

It is nanny state comfort, red pillar boxes with cast-iron crown insignia, jolly bicycling postmen chased by barking dogs all straight out of Ealing Street Studios. It is island deliveries and penny postage.

It is kindly matrons in village sub post offices delivering Christmas parcels to Hovis boys in shorts. It is Hornby train sets capturing plastic mail bags.

So George has fked up again then ?
  • Options

Mr. M, I hope you use your Kindle for books only available electronically *cough*.

I do. In fact I have two excellent books fitting that very description: Bane of Souls and Journey to Altmortis purchased via Smashwords.com

Have you perchance heard of them?

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988

MaxPB said:

Best to get the government out of the mess that is the Royal Mail.

The universal service is worth keeping, but I cannot see how it can be maintained in the long term. Successive governments have allowed the private sector in - initially for large parcels, and now for smaller ones. The RM's monopoly is long gone. They are being squeezed by competition in a market (for letters) that, junk mail aside, is reducing. Competition on profitable parcels service is fierce.

It is hardly a sustainable business model for the long-term. They need to be freed up so they can truly invest and compete, or be kept in-house with the knowledge that losses to the taxpayer will mount.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Bravo sir. Common sense amongst the Daily Mailesque panic at upsetting the housewives that we see from the lefties.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

You need to be conVinced, Mr. Brooke.

• Options
    Wasn't it Margaret Thatcher on why she didn't want to sell the royal mail said - "not prepared to have the Queen's head privatised".
  • Options

...they should consider just selling the whole thing to Deutsche Post.

I'm unsure why @FluffyThoughts flagged this a Troll. I thought it was a splendid idea.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There still is a Royal Mail? Who uses it nowadays?
  • Options

AveryLP said:

It's a false comparison I think. Their would be an uproar if the goverment announced it was selling off a majority stake in the NHS. On the other hand I suspect most people don't feel all that strongly one way or the other about the Royal Mail. It doesn't seem to be something that people - outwith PB - are really talking about.
  • Options
    Mr. M, I have not, but as you, being renowned as a man of fine judgement and exquisite taste, consider them excellent I shall do the only sensible thing and peruse them posthaste.
  • Options

Wasn't it Margaret Thatcher on why she didn't want to sell the royal mail said - "not prepared to have the Queen's head privatised".

I think the only item that has sales dropping faster than physical stamps is paper copies of the Guardian.

Not true in Maggies day - not that the static analysis dimwits will grasp the concept.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Eugenics? Or a MacShane* cover story...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23268512

You, the viewer, should decide....

* Nothing to do with Al-Beeb or a broken Labour party: Payoffs only apply when it demonstrates as a common purpose. [Legal issues to be dealt with internally. '"Cookie"; what a rac1st name for a cat!']
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Bravo sir. Common sense amongst the Daily Mailesque panic at upsetting the housewives that we see from the lefties.

Tories like Thatcher opposed it.
    I assume to keep on subsidising rural Tory voters.

But you're arguing that a private company should be set up with a remit to subsidise rural voters instead.
    Where's the free market logic in that?
    Privatising the Royal Mail is all about supply side reform, tim.

Forget about interim price regulation and cross-subsidy. It will pass as a competitive market develops.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

It is nanny state comfort, red pillar boxes with cast-iron crown insignia, jolly bicycling postmen chased by barking dogs all straight out of Ealing Street Studios. It is island deliveries and penny postage. 0

No Mr Pole I only stare on in bewilderment as this government having almost dug itself out of a hole decides where it went wrong was the last hole wasn't big enough and it should call in a JCB.

Starting an unpopular measure within 18 months of a GE which will give a wounded opposition some more ammo is just stupidity at its basest level. I would attribute HMGs slow recovery in the polls to taking a break from self-inflicted wounds. When the press have nothing to hit HMG round the head with they turn on the house of cards which is Ed's Labour and huge gaping holes in its policy are given the full spotlight treatment. This government is clueless.

As for your original justification on RM that just defies belief, it's precisely the quirky irrational attachment to the past which makes any nation. I'd much prefer that to the bland brand corporatism which you so clearly espouse, where multinats give us no real choice and pay no real taxes either.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

...they should consider just selling the whole thing to Deutsche Post.

I'm unsure why @FluffyThoughts flagged this a Troll. I thought it was a splendid idea.

It is his second - successful - attempt to make me bite. Earlier he suggested that the Royal Navy should be given over to the Septics (but ignoring his Nipponese Gaijin blindness).

As someone who - ahem - works within the industry I can assure you that certain UK post-codes are not reachable.* [The routing-tables are horrendous.] DHL* is not the solution....

* Norwegians and Swiss are almost unaccessable: Naught to do with money....
    ** Never worked on DHL systems, nor any that I knowingly know to have employed them....
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

MaxPB said:

Best to get the government out of the mess that is the Royal Mail.

The universal service is worth keeping, but I cannot see how it can be maintained in the long term. Successive governments have allowed the private sector in - initially for large parcels, and now for smaller ones. The RM's monopoly is long gone. They are being squeezed by competition in a market (for letters) that, junk mail aside, is reducing. Competition on profitable parcels service is fierce.

It is hardly a sustainable business model for the long-term. They need to be freed up so they can truly invest and compete, or be kept in-house with the knowledge that losses to the taxpayer will mount.
    Bang on the money with that assessment Josias, well past time the Royal Mail was privatised as its a costly luxury we the taxpayer can no longer afford in the current economic climate.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

But you're arguing that a private company should be set up with a remit to subsidise rural voters instead.

Forget about interim price regulation and cross-subsidy. It will pass as a competitive market develops.

meaningless piffle, the problems when they arise, like the banks will land back in the hands of the UK taxpayer.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

There still is a Royal Mail? Who uses it nowadays?

Enough people to make £324 million profit last year.
  • Options
    Is there a Labour division angle over this or is everyone against except Peter Mandelson?
  • Options
    @Max_Edinborough

There is no "the NHS": Each nation has it's own. England's management is not an issue for Edinborough....
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Given this is originally a Labour proposal based on the Hooper report (twice), that it is being introduced by a LibDem cabinet minister popular with the left, and that Conservatives are hardly likely to object, and that There Is No Alternative, it looks to me like this won't be a big challenge.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2013
    MaxPB said:

It's a Lib Dem policy isn't it? That makes your post a tautology.
  • Options

Is there a Labour division angle over this or is everyone against except Peter Mandelson?

Don't be silly, all the vaguely sane Labour figures support this, but of course are pretending not to at the moment.
  • Options
    tim said:

Some fantastic stuff in here

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2013/06/14/25-reasons-why-we-love-scotland/

The Donald, the signs and the local papers.
    Magnificent

LOL - excellent post.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

meaningless piffle, the problems when they arise, like the banks will land back in the hands of the UK taxpayer.
    I'm with you on this one, and besides the RM seems to have sorted it's stuff out and is making a profit now. No private company will take the pension liabilities that are attached anyway, which is the bit you'd want to get rid of to be frank.
  • Options
    tim said:

.@AndrewBridgenMP"Can’t think of another job where there are only 650 of those roles in the whole of GB that are paid on this sort of level"

Molecatchers maybe?
  • Options
    Daniel Bond ‏@danbond1
    At Lord Ashcroft immigration live-poll event, tracking publics reaction as they watch videos of the 3 leaders outlining their views #IoT

Daniel Bond ‏@danbond1
    Miliband and Cameron getting good showing. Not so much for Clegg. #IoT

• Options
    JonathanD said:

So I wonder who the Ministers in the MoJ and the Home Office in 2005 and 2008 were.

"A review has found G4S and rival security company Serco both over-billed the taxpayer for running the tagging schemes .....

It also emerged Ministry of Justice officials first became aware of some of the problems in 2008 but failed to take appropriate action - and Mr Grayling said some civil servants may now face disciplinary action....

He added: "The audit team is at present confirming its calculations but the current estimate is that the sums involved are significant, and run into the low tens of millions in total, for both companies, since the contracts commenced in 2005."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10173615/G4S-and-Serco-Taxpayers-overcharged-by-tens-of-millions-over-electronic-tagging.html

That's a heck of a mistake to make - and not to be picked up before now.
  • Options

It is his second - successful - attempt to make me bite.

Ah, in that case I defer. I missed the RN comment so I was unaware that a running skirmish was occurring.

I similarly defer to your specific industry experience and it's not really my area. Superficially the idea appealed to my instinctive economic attitude.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    The Queen should buy it, or at least a majority share. Then it would truly be the Royal Mail.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

You are very grumpy today, Mr. Brooke.

I fear some Warwickshire wag must have painted all the county's postboxes in a fetching shade of London 2012 magenta.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

...the RM seems to have sorted it's stuff out...the pension liabilities that are attached anyway, which is the bit you'd want to get rid of to be frank.

Isn't that contradictory? It's fine except for the bits that aren't?

• Options

@tim
    The sensible solution is to stop yet another subsidy given to the countryside.

Or to make it absolutely explict. Allow the company to agree the market price and then agree a subsidy to equalise prices.

Then voters and politicians can decide whether they are prepare to spend tax receipts in that manner.
  • Options
    James Kirkup @jameskirkup

George Osborne says married couples tax allowance will be unveiled in his Autumn Statement later this year.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,582
    England throwing it all away at Trent Bridge...
  • Options

There Is No Alternative

Is there an EU competition angle to this that means they have to do it, or have you spent too much time listening to politicians and ended up picking up some of their language, like using "there is no alternative" to mean "I want to do this"?

• Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

IIRC, Thatcher's concerns were around Post Office Counters rather than the Royal Mail. But that business has been hacked to pieces already
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    On-topic:

Royal-Mail was extremely profitable in 1995 [IIRC]. It even won the contract to run the Argentine mail-service.

And then the left*rds were elected. Within a couple of years the union-fed eejits destroyed a state asset.

Thankfully they had a - ahem - reasonably honest Business Secretary; one Peter Mandelsoehn. Even he knew when to untie the dead-and-the-driftwood....
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

...the RM seems to have sorted it's stuff out...the pension liabilities that are attached anyway, which is the bit you'd want to get rid of to be frank.

Not really, the pension liablities built up thus far are going to remain with HMG even if its privatised. No private company is going to touch them with a barge pole. Going forward I'd hope that all RM employees are in a defined contribution scheme, if they aren't well then that needed to change yesterday.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

I fear some Warwickshire wag must have painted all the county's postboxes in a fetching shade of London 2012 magenta.

Round here we paint them 2012 gold Mr Pole.

As for grumpy, what do you expect ? Just when you think HMG might have come to its senses you get episode 26 of The Madness of Twerp George.

Perhaps you could send him up here dressed as a grouse, about the 12th of August should be about right.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Is there an EU competition angle to this that means they have to do it, or have you spent too much time listening to politicians and ended up picking up some of their language, like using "there is no alternative" to mean "I want to do this"?

Read the Hooper report. This hasn't come out of the blue, Labour spent years trying to get this done under both Blair and Brown. (There is an EU competition angle, but mostly it's about efficiency and investment).

Declaration of interest: I vaguely know Richard Hooper, my wife used to work with him.
  • Options
    Some Osborne Quotes from the press gallery lunch.

Kirsty Buchanan @KirstyBuchanan4

"It's not the right time to give MPs a pay rise," says the Chancellor

Osborne comes out strongly for HS2 despite soaring costs of the project

That will please the Tory backbench - Osborne sets Autumn Statement deadline to introduce married person's tax allowance

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

.@AndrewBridgenMP"Can’t think of another job where there are only 650 of those roles in the whole of GB that are paid on this sort of level"

Molecatchers maybe?
    Chicken sexers.

titter ye not, but I have a client in Alabama that breeds chicks by the million.

He used to import Koreans to work at the production plants. They would sit by conveyer belts watching the chicks go by and pick out any flawed ones to dispose of them. Apparently Koreans are particularly good at spotting genetically flawed chickens by sight alone...
  • Options
    Privatising RM without having them on equal market terms as everyone else is a terrible idea. As Alanbroke has said, it will just end up going bust and the taxpayer will have to bail it out.

Either the market is fixed in their favour and all mail operators in Britain have to offer a a universal service at the same pricing tiers or RM is allowed to drop it. I don't mind either tbh, but it doesn't make sense to privatise RM and put it into a free market where they are at a huge disadvantage.
  • Options
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

As for grumpy, what do you expect ? Just when you think HMG might have come to its senses you get episode 26 of The Madness of Twerp George.

Perhaps you could send him up here dressed as a grouse, about the 12th of August should be about right.

Grouse did you say?

He's a mean motherf*cking grouse shooter

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1zLNV2F_hRE/SeHyuXAiKkI/AAAAAAAABXs/Bxon2EROb7k/s400/george+osborne.jpg

Lock and load man, lock and load.
    Shot, sir!

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,289
    edited July 2013

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

It is nanny state comfort, red pillar boxes with cast-iron crown insignia, jolly bicycling postmen chased by barking dogs all straight out of Ealing Street Studios. It is island deliveries and penny postage. 0

No Mr Pole I only stare on in bewilderment as this government having almost dug itself out of a hole decides where it went wrong was the last hole wasn't big enough and it should call in a JCB.

Starting an unpopular measure within 18 months of a GE which will give a wounded opposition some more ammo is just stupidity at its basest level. I would attribute HMGs slow recovery in the polls to taking a break from self-inflicted wounds. When the press have nothing to hit HMG round the head with they turn on the house of cards which is Ed's Labour and huge gaping holes in its policy are given the full spotlight treatment. This government is clueless.

As for your original justification on RM that just defies belief, it's precisely the quirky irrational attachment to the past which makes any nation. I'd much prefer that to the bland brand corporatism which you so clearly espouse, where multinats give us no real choice and pay no real taxes either.

Not that I think this Govt is not willing and able to smack itself round the head with any nearby implement but....

privatisation is a good idea. First, govt should get out of business. Secondly, it will play well to um, younger voters. Snail mail is so, well, snail-like. Thirdly, what do we get by mail these days? Direct mail (20% of all mail), bank statements - good nudge to go electronic - and greetings cards. BFD.

And there will be any number of horizontal and vertical integrations into postage-inclusive offerings from moonpig, etc.

So in all a good thing, shows the Cons to be a modern, principled small state party. Hoorah!

But, more importantly, what in god's good name is happening in the cricket!?
  • Options
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Grouse did you say?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1zLNV2F_hRE/SeHyuXAiKkI/AAAAAAAABXs/Bxon2EROb7k/s400/george+osborne.jpg

tim, this is the countryside, round here we do things differently than Merseyside, you can park your car and it wont be on 4 bricks when you come back.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

Not really, the pension liablities built up thus far are going to remain with HMG even if its privatised. No private company is going to touch them with a barge pole. Going forward I'd hope that all RM employees are in a defined contribution scheme, if they aren't well then that needed to change yesterday.
    I believe there may be a Crown guarantee anyway - I think the Post Office is a bit like BT in that the state is already the guarantor of last resort for the pension fund.
  • Options
    Those of us of a certain age will be amused to see EXACTLY the same arguments used to oppose Royal Mail privatisation as were used to oppose BT privatisation - one of the most incontrovertible spectacular successes of any policy of the last half-century.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Mr. Topping, electronic stuff is nice but not everywhere has (and not everyone wants) a solid/fast internet connection - hence why the Xbone had to abandon its deranged 24 hour online check.

Edited extra bit: that was phrased clumsily. I meant that not everyone wants to be online, or do their activities through that medium.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not really, the pension liablities built up thus far are going to remain with HMG even if its privatised.

Agree with you de facto that's going to be the solution, plus with your point about it not being viable as a package including pensions.

That was really my point, though. To say it's "sorted it's stuff out" is too broad brush. It's curate's egg and will remain so until we scoop the nasty bits out at some point in the future. As it stands currently as an entity it is toxic and unsellable (caused by the pensions bit).

Verging into semantics on my part, I suspect, so I will desist.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Grouse did you say?

Shot, sir!

please note how George's gun is cunningly pointed at his feet in that photo.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    GeoffM said:

As it stands currently as an entity it is toxic and unsellable (caused by the pensions bit).

Err, the pensions have already been separated out.
  • Options

Those of us of a certain age will be amused to see EXACTLY the same arguments used to oppose Royal Mail privatisation as were used to oppose BT privatisation - one of the most incontrovertible spectacular successes of any policy of the last half-century.

Give the Tories a second term with a majority and they will be saying the same about the long overdue privatisation of the NHS.

The lefties never learn.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Give the Tories a second term with a majority and they will be saying the same about the long overdue privatisation of the NHS.

The lefties never learn.
    Shush!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

I believe there may be a Crown guarantee anyway - I think the Post Office is a bit like BT in that the state is already the guarantor of last resort for the pension fund.
    This is a stupid privatisation. It won't raise much money and it will just cause needless grief. Since the key issue is the pension fund deficit it would make more sense to run it to fill the hole.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

But, more importantly, what in god's good name is happening in the cricket!?

There is much gasting of my flabber occurring. Unbelievable. Stunning.
    Betfair must be all over the shop right now.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,244
    How many do Australia need to declare? I have never seen anything like this.
  • Options
    More from Osborne from the press gallery lunch,this time he's trying to wind our tim up ;-)

Ned Simons @nedsimons

Asked if he wants to be PM, Osborne says: 'I'm extremely happy doing this job and hope to continue doing it'

PoliticsHome @politicshome

Chancellor jokes about photos of him jogging in St James Park. "It's not easy being Oliver Letwin's correspondence secretary"

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Osborne reveals he's wearing a Jawbone 'Up' bracelet that monitors his steps, sleep u name it

Ned Simons @nedsimons

When did the chancellor last have a McDonalds? 'last week' he reveals.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,289

Mr. Topping, electronic stuff is nice but not everywhere has (and not everyone wants) a solid/fast internet connection - hence why the Xbone had to abandon its deranged 24 hour online check.

Edited extra bit: that was phrased clumsily. I meant that not everyone wants to be online, or do their activities through that medium.

nor should they. But that shouldn't derail the principle of govt exiting the private sector. It is a less efficient means of communication. And that's fine. So let's see where the market prices it.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Richard Nabavi - BT was sold on the cheap wasn't it? The government should have got more money for it as the share price quickly rose I seem to recall.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

tim said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Grouse did you say?

Shot, sir!

please note how George's gun is cunningly pointed at his feet in that photo.
    The Bullingdon Club is not a urban street gang, Mr. Brooke.

George is planning to free the sub post offices not hold them up.

• Options
    George Eaton @georgeeaton

Osborne cites his favourite piece of political wisdom: "oppositions move to the centre ground, governments move the centre ground."

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,582
    Did anyone see the stumping appeal earlier? Apparently it was very close indeed.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Opening up the telecoms market was a long overdue reform and a major success. Whether the BT privatisation was the runaway success you say I'd question. The company was sold below value ( tax payer loss) nearly went bust 15 years later and isn't global player in anything.

Since the package and postal market have already had a high degree of monopoly reform, there will be no similar gain with RM, we're dealing with the hard to handle bits now.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL

Alex Wickham @WikiGuido
    Outstanding RT @keewa: Kate Middleton didn't realise she was in Labour, she was signed up automatically as a member of Unite.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    On-topic:

There are no state post-offices in The Netherlands. TNT was going to be bought by United Parcels Services but - ahem - shyte happens. Not all successful programmers who work in the industry have to have a link to the Indian sub-continent.

Naught wrong with what is happening in The Netherlands. The same model will surely work in the UK ('Arriet-'Ardbint and her "gamer" trolls permitting)....
This discussion has been closed.