Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the court challenge to Theresa May’s Royal Prerogative pl

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the court challenge to Theresa May’s Royal Prerogative plan starting the latest Article 50 trigger date betting:

Although nothing on the scale of EURef or WH2016 the biggest home political betting market at the moment is on when Article 50 will be invoked thus triggering the formal process of the UK exit from the EU.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited October 2016
    Clearly HM the Queen should invoke Article 50 in her Christmas Day message. That'll show them what sovereignty means.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited October 2016
    THE C WORD ISN'T PERMITTED ON PB. IT LEADS TO A BAN. STOP USING IT. THANK YOU
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951

It's pronounced Ghina!
  • Options
    I don't suppose TM will be too fussed if the courts (or anyone else) delay her schedule.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

I've always hated cl*wns, so quite right.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Sorry. In her Chr*stm*s day message.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Didn't spot any figures on successful prosecutions in this piece on a spike in 'race hate' crimes following the referendum:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37640982
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    I'm liking the drop down menu, very nice.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Ishmael_X said:

Clearly HM the Queen should invoke Article 50 in her Christmas Day message. That'll show them what sovereignty means.

Would bring good cheer to the Commonwealth. And piss on Rejoiners' flaming Christmas puds....
  • Options

Didn't spot any figures on successful prosecutions in this piece on a spike in 'race hate' crimes following the referendum:

If they end up going to the big court, then it takes several months for the trial to begin.
  • Options
    Sc*nthorpe.

Just to be on the safe side....
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Ishmael_X said:

That is an outstandingly magnificent idea.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    tlg86 said:

I'm liking the drop down menu, very nice.

My "drop down menu" actually goes up. Mmmm...
    Goes to show that financial investments in betting markets can go up or down.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Eagles, we'll see how the numbers look then, and whether the police have nudged them into the 'hate' crime category, as per:
    https://twitter.com/DouglasKMurray/status/785516804227477504
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited October 2016
    I bruised my *o**yx the other day. It still hurts.
  • Options

That's not exactly surprising, given it's just over three months' ago.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/533097/criminal-court-statistics-jan-mar-2016.pdf

Offence to completion in the magistrates’ courts
    For cases in the magistrates’ courts, the (mean) average number of days from offence to completion increased by 7 days between Q1 2013 and Q4 2015, a 5% rise. Despite remaining at 158 days in both Q3 2015 and Q4 2015, the average increased by a further 5 days to 163 days in Q1 2016.
    Crown Court criminal cases - First listing in the magistrates’ courts to completion in the Crown Court (figure 12)
    For cases completing at the Crown Court, the average number of days from first listing to completion increased from 152 to 204 days between Q3 2013 and Q2 2015, followed by a decrease to 183 days in Q1 2016.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    GeoffM said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sorry for going off-topic so early, but what is the current feeling in Gibraltar on Brexit? Is it causing anyone to actually start to consider thinking about the hypothetical possibility of reverting to Spain, per the Treaty of Utrecht? Or is it still utterly unthinkable?
  • Options
    It's going to make it very difficult to discuss the Labour party if we are not allowed to use the word C*rbyn.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190

It's going to make it very difficult to discuss the Labour party if we are not allowed to use the word C*rbyn.

Or even the word cr*p.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Bravo!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Or even the word cr*p.
    With c*ck-up banned it will be near impossible
  • Options
    Is Cl*nt*n suitably enough censored?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Ishmael_X said:

Yes, as no-one watches the Queen's speech and/or is pissed and/or asleep at the time it will be the perfect time to slip it under the radar.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    This whole issue over Parliament and article 50 is a distraction, but is rather telling on the attitude of our current elected representatives. They think they are more in tune with the needs of the country than their electors, and that their will is superior because they have been elected.

Sovereignty does not reside in Parliament - it resides in the people. That is why they will rightly lose their battle to pretend that they represent us beyond that which we represent ourselves.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Has anyone polled the public on their views of judges and/or MPs holding up Article 50?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    C*ckburn's P*ort.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Is the Royal Prerogative issue over-rated? Ultimately if Parliament objects so strongly to the government's actions they should bring it down.

Having just watched the video from the last thread I hate to disagree with the nice lady from LSE but I think it is a mistake to see Republican voters on some kind of spectrum where Paul Ryan is a 'centrist' and Trump is a hard right candidate. In some respects that may be true but I think it is to misunderstand Trump's support. People aren't supporting him because they thought that the Ryan plan was too soft but because he is making an attempt to appeal to their economic and entitlement interests. Is a Republican establishment that can't appeal to middle class Americans really centrist?

I can see why people object to the 'C' word just as they object to the 'N' word since it seems to take a derogatory approach to femininity. Certainly when I was at University it was the one swear word that girls wouldn't use. I have heard ladies use it a few times since then though which makes me wonder if times have changed or if I'm just mixing in different company.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Cyclefree said:

Or even the word cr*p.
    With c*ck-up banned it will be near impossible
    And as for C*nservative values (as epitomised by Andrew Strauss)...
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,009
    RoyalBlue said:

GeoffM said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sorry for going off-topic so early, but what is the current feeling in Gibraltar on Brexit? Is it causing anyone to actually start to consider thinking about the hypothetical possibility of reverting to Spain, per the Treaty of Utrecht? Or is it still utterly unthinkable?
    Why can't it stay in when we leave?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Cyclefree said:

Or even the word cr*p.
    Plus for god's sake we need to get to @SeanT before his first post of the day.
  • Options
    I'll repeat what I've said a hundred times already.

It's irrelevant whether Parliament needs to be consulted or not. It is a political mistake not to get Article 50 rubber stamped, and as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Or even the word cr*p.
    Or even..... *yclefree. :lol:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    FPT
    We've heard quite a bit about the Libertarian and Green candidates in the States, both of whom sound deeply unimpressive, but I had to check out Wikipedia for McMullin, who seems close to winning Utah. He sounds reactionary but sane:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_McMullin

Has anyone heard him speak or have any views about him?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    A dyslexic might fail the C word test, whilst posting about Cnut The Great, King of England and Denmark.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

This whole issue over Parliament and article 50 is a distraction, but is rather telling on the attitude of our current elected representatives. They think they are more in tune with the needs of the country than their electors, and that their will is superior because they have been elected.

Sovereignty does not reside in Parliament - it resides in the people. That is why they will rightly lose their battle to pretend that they represent us beyond that which we represent ourselves.

"...more in tune with the needs of the country than their electors" - well, I hope mine is, or else I wasted my visit to the Polling Station.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Cou*ts always are a pain Too many lawyers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

I think Her Majesty should start asking everybody for three good reasons why she shouldn't....
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Re: graph drop down: is the graph for next UKIP leader actually a trace of the party's heartbeat?

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep..... "clear!" *fump* ...beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Argh

“If you choose to participate in Halloween activities, we encourage you to think about your choices of costumes and themes. Some Halloween costumes reinforce stereotypes of particular races, genders, cultures, or religions,” it continues. “Regardless of intent, these costumes can perpetuate negative stereotypes, causing harm and offense to groups of people.”

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/u-florida-offers-247-counseling-students-troubled-halloween-costumes/
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

RoyalBlue said:

GeoffM said:

Ishmael_X said:

If Denmark can be in and Greenland can be out, probably.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I agree with @rcs1000, and have said as much previously: getting a rubber stamp (for surely that is what it will be: it would be ridiculous and wrong for MPs to dissent) from Parliament now avoids all kinds of issues down the line for Tezza and puts the issue to bed.

Problem is, of course, that now it will look like a *limbdown. Such a stupid mistake to have made.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Now, now.....

Signed ...... C*clefree
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Cyclefree said:

Or even the word cr*p.
    Or even..... *yclefree. :lol:
    C*rses!

It's C-ist.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    JackoFKent on the Article 50 case:

As a matter of law, the answer is not clear.

There are outstanding lawyers who in good faith disagree.

Because there is no exact precedent, the arguments on both sides draw on first principles.

Nobody can predict with certainty which way the court will go.

http://jackofkent.com/2016/10/why-the-article-50-case-may-be-the-most-important-constitutional-case-of-a-generation/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbclaurak: Sturgeon says an independence referendum bill will be published next week - she has tricky balance to keep her supporters + public on side
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Now, now.....

Signed ...... C*clefree
    A *t* not an *r*...

Honwst :wink:
  • Options
    Essexit said:

RoyalBlue said:

GeoffM said:

Ishmael_X said:

If Denmark can be in and Greenland can be out, probably.
    They would have to sell off individual street pavement bricks to have enough room to erect all the brass plates
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    rcs1000 said:

It's irrelevant whether Parliament needs to be consulted or not. It is a political mistake not to get Article 50 rubber stamped, and as soon as possible.

But that implies that parliament is a rubber stamp. The government should be making it clear that it doesn't regard parliament in that light (whatever it actually feels).

To that end, it shouldn't grant a vote on Article 50 but it should be holding a full debate on what the terms - or at least the principles - of Brexit negotiations should be. The government needs parliament to have some kind of buy-in and ownership of the process.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    I heard Jeremy Hunt took a train from Scunthorpe to Cockfosters once..
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

But that implies that parliament is a rubber stamp. The government should be making it clear that it doesn't regard parliament in that light (whatever it actually feels).

To that end, it shouldn't grant a vote on Article 50 but it should be holding a full debate on what the terms - or at least the principles - of Brexit negotiations should be. The government needs parliament to have some kind of buy-in and ownership of the process.
    No it is saying to MPs: please acknowledge the democratic process of the referendum.
  • Options

Because there is no exact precedent, the arguments on both sides draw on first principles.

http://jackofkent.com/2016/10/why-the-article-50-case-may-be-the-most-important-constitutional-case-of-a-generation/

If you could predict it with certainty then there wouldn't be a need for a hearing.

That said, to my mind, the constitutional principle and the evidence of the case is overwhelmingly on the side of the government.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Argh

“If you choose to participate in Halloween activities, we encourage you to think about your choices of costumes and themes. Some Halloween costumes reinforce stereotypes of particular races, genders, cultures, or religions,” it continues. “Regardless of intent, these costumes can perpetuate negative stereotypes, causing harm and offense to groups of people.”

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/u-florida-offers-247-counseling-students-troubled-halloween-costumes/

A few choice examples here. I quite like the giving birth one for its ingenuity, but then I did go to a fancy dress party dressed as an ascending colon once:

http://www.someecards.com/life/halloween/the-most-inappropriate-halloween-costumes-of-all-time/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Sturgeon says an independence referendum bill will be published next week - she has tricky balance to keep her supporters + public on side

Isn't it a 'consultation paper' not a 'bill' - ie - talking about having one, rather than having one?
  • Options

If you could predict it with certainty then there wouldn't be a need for a hearing.

That said, to my mind, the constitutional principle and the evidence of the case is overwhelmingly on the side of the government.
    I think its finely balanced.

Current politics says 'get Parliament's hands steeped in blood too'

Future politics says 'which Executive ever gave up power if it didn't have to?'
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbclaurak: Sturgeon also confirmed SNP will vote against the Great Repeal Act - she's also trying to brand it as the 'Brexit Bill'
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I agree with @rcs1000, and have said as much previously: getting a rubber stamp (for surely that is what it will be: it would be ridiculous and wrong for MPs to dissent) from Parliament now avoids all kinds of issues down the line for Tezza and puts the issue to bed.

Problem is, of course, that now it will look like a *limbdown. Such a stupid mistake to have made.

The real point at which Parliament will have a role is to ratify any agreement that is reached, because that is now under statutory requirement:

Constitutional reform and governance act Act 2010 Section 20:

4)The treaty may be ratified if—

(a)a Minister of the Crown has laid before Parliament a statement indicating that the Minister is of the opinion that the treaty should nevertheless be ratified and explaining why, and

(b)period B has expired without the House of Commons having resolved, within period B, that the treaty should not be ratified.

My reading of that is that the treaty is placed in the H of C library or before Parliament in the chamber for debate, and then Parliament may vote to reject it within the set time (21 sitting days). If they do not, then the government may count the Parliament as in assent and the treaty be ratified.
  • Options

Is Cl*nt*n suitably enough censored?

Funny thing is that one looks ruder when censored than uncensored. :-)
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

Argh

A few choice examples here. I quite like the giving birth one for its ingenuity, but then I did go to a fancy dress party dressed as an ascending colon once:

http://www.someecards.com/life/halloween/the-most-inappropriate-halloween-costumes-of-all-time/
    Superman for me. Twin Towers was good too.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

"but then I did go to a fancy dress party dressed as an ascending colon once:"

You despicable creature. Oh, the horror! All those young and impressionable students could have been harmed for life. Perhaps if they go for counselling, they should be advised to stay at home (preferably locked n a cupboard) until they're old enough to face the real world.

Surely it's a joke?
  • Options

I think its finely balanced.

Current politics says 'get Parliament's hands steeped in blood too'

Future politics says 'which Executive ever gave up power if it didn't have to?'
    It's not about politics though, it's about the law and the constitution.

The Crown can contract treaties, which are subject to parliamentary approval. Triggering the provisions of those treaties though is, unless specified in legislation elsewhere or in an ad hoc vote in parliament, the business of the government alone.

In this case, parliament had the chance to define a process for the Brexit procedure, both when the Lisbon Treaty was incorporated into law and, more specifically, when the EURef bill was under consideration. No new procedure was specified and so the pre-existing arrangements should therefore continue to hold.

I might write about the topic this weekend depending on what happens in the Court.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970

TonyE said:

"...more in tune with the needs of the country than their electors" - well, I hope mine is, or else I wasted my visit to the Polling Station.
    Surely Parliament is soverign. Otherwise why did we have Glorious Revolution?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    edited October 2016
    The referendum was advisory. Fine, put it to one side.
    Could the government have triggered A50 itself anyway? This court case challenges that. In which case, if successful, continued membership of the EU can only be decided in the courts. But which court? Isn't the ECJ superior to British courts?
    IANAL obv.
    Update - scrap that, I left Parliament out!
  • Options

TonyE said:

No, the people are sovereign, the Parliament only exercises power on their behalf.
  • Options
    Seen in a Liverpool pub a couple of years ago on the way to a fancy dress party. A man dressed as Jimmy Savile and four others dressed as schoolgirls.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TOPPING said:

The real point at which Parliament will have a role is to ratify any agreement that is reached, because that is now under statutory requirement:

(a)a Minister of the Crown has laid before Parliament a statement indicating that the Minister is of the opinion that the treaty should nevertheless be ratified and explaining why, and

(b)period B has expired without the House of Commons having resolved, within period B, that the treaty should not be ratified.

My reading of that is that the treaty is placed in the H of C library or before Parliament in the chamber for debate, and then Parliament may vote to reject it within the set time (21 sitting days). If they do not, then the government may count the Parliament as in assent and the treaty be ratified.
    Yep good research (or knowledge).

But for Mr and Mrs Public it is all about the optics. The idea of Parliament needing to have a vote on this Article 50 thing has taken hold and the government is in a lose-lose situation given the potential outcomes.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

You despicable creature. Oh, the horror! All those young and impressionable students could have been harmed for life. Perhaps if they go for counselling, they should be advised to stay at home (preferably locked n a cupboard) until they're old enough to face the real world.

Surely it's a joke?

I once had a (semi) serious discussion with a consultant anaesthetist about the quantity of green dye we would have to inject into one of his housemen to enable him to take her to a Trekkie function as something green.
  • Options
    When in a hole:

Unilever hits back in Tesco Marmite spat 'blaming Brexit for price hikes'
    Unilever on Thursday pledged to play hardball in its stand-off with Tesco as the consumer goods giant demands higher prices.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

Argh

Surely the final one was the result of a typo?

"Let the dog see the rabbi...."
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TonyE said:

No, the people are sovereign, the Parliament only exercises power on their behalf.
    No, Parliamentarians are there to make the decisions and while they may take the electors views into consideration, it is for MP’s to decide, given, allegedly, their greater knowledge and appreciation of the long-term consequences.
  • Options
    Mr Cole,

"Surely Parliament is sovereign. Otherwise why did we have Glorious Revolution?"

I thought that was to keep the Catholics out?
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TOPPING said:

My point is not about what is constitutionally required, but what is politically sensible.

The biggest threat to Brexit is not that the UK government fails to invoke Article 50. It is that the UK economic enters a serious recession in the next two years, the government falls, and is replaced by a pro-European one which "rescinds Brexit" using its mandate.

The cause of the recession might have nothing to do with Brexit: it could be a war in the Middle East that pushes up energy prices, or a credit crunch in China, for example.

The current MPs need to have Brexit blood on their hands, i.e. they need to have walked through the lobbies and acknowledged the will of the people. If they do not have that, they will find it much easier to row back later.

For that reason, I think the failure to include parliament in the discussions is a major political error.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    TOPPING said:

TonyE said:

TOPPING said:

Yep good research (or knowledge).

But for Mr and Mrs Public it is all about the optics. The idea of Parliament needing to have a vote on this Article 50 thing has taken hold and the government is in a lose-lose situation given the potential outcomes.
    I'm not sure most people are actually aware of it. I think the government should ride it out and invoke article 50 at a time of its choosing. I don't think Parliament should be setting the parameters for negotiation, it has to be done behind closed doors, otherwise Parliament is hobbling the negotiators badly. (Edit - by asking parliament now, it knows in advance what it would ratify, removing the uncertainty as a tool for the negotiators)
  • Options

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Surely it's a joke?

I once had a (semi) serious discussion with a consultant anaesthetist about the quantity of green dye we would have to inject into one of his housemen to enable him to take her to a Trekkie function as something green.
    Not to inflame the situation , when Dr Fox was an ascending colon it would be fine. I'd be concerned of he was transverse by the end of the evening.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The government should just have the damn vote, do it now and get it over and done with. Any MP who votes against will be branded as quisling traitors anyway and will have to face the wrath of their voters. If it is lost then it is grounds for an election with a thumping *on majority vs *orbyn.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

No it is saying to MPs: please acknowledge the democratic process of the referendum.
    And if they choose not to? If they are given a vote then either they have no option, in which case it is a sham, or they have a genuine option to reject the government's request. Why should they need to acknowledge (or more accurately, ratify) the result of a process which they themselves put in place?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

"Surely Parliament is sovereign. Otherwise why did we have Glorious Revolution?"

I thought that was to keep the Catholics out?

That as well!
  • Options
    Charles said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Surely it's a joke?

Not to inflame the situation , when Dr Fox was an ascending colon it would be fine. I'd be concerned of he was transverse by the end of the evening.
    I would hope that he wasn’t irritated, too.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    edited October 2016
    TonyE said:

TonyE said:

We are a representative democracy. We vote for representatives who decide in our best interests (because often we are incapable of doing that ourselves because of complex tradeoffs). We are not, in law or in practice, a popular or Athenian democracy. That's a fact.

Edit: Nor are we ruled by the Queen or her representative.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    CD13 said:

Seen in a Liverpool pub a couple of years ago on the way to a fancy dress party. A man dressed as Jimmy Savile and four others dressed as schoolgirls.

A couple of years ago, a student got kicked out of the Conservative Party for turning up to a function dressed as Madeleine McCann.

Jimmy Savile is a popular choice for fancy dress. Indeed, last year, one university Conservative association held a Jimmy Savile-themed party.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    rcs1000 said:

This.

(Apologies. I believe that phrase is almost as banned on PB as the C word)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    MaxPB said:

The government should just have the damn vote, do it now and get it over and done with. Any MP who votes against will be branded as quisling traitors anyway and will have to face the wrath of their voters. If it is lost then it is grounds for an election with a thumping *on majority vs *orbyn.

Indeed, I'm not really sure what the logic is of the remainers who want a vote now. The inevitable cluster**** caused by even more uncertainty will be blamed solely on them.
  • Options

When in a hole:

Unilever on Thursday pledged to play hardball in its stand-off with Tesco as the consumer goods giant demands higher prices.

This demonstrates the wisdom of having a quoted company name that is different from the product brand names.
  • Options

TonyE said:

TonyE said:

No, Parliamentarians are there to make the decisions and while they may take the electors views into consideration, it is for MP’s to decide, given, allegedly, their greater knowledge and appreciation of the long-term consequences.
    In general yes but not, I would argue, when a referendum has put a specific question to the people. In that case, parliament has been given specific instructions and its role is simply to implement the result of that vote.

Those who would argue otherwise need to answer the question from where does the legitimacy upon which parliament's sovereignty come? Parliamentary sovereignty is a concept that predates referendums and needs amending to account for that innovation.
  • Options

TonyE said:

TonyE said:

I can only begin to imagine the nuclear melt down on here and elsewhere had remain carried the day and Parliament overturned the people's decision and left anyway. Of course it would not have happened, it would not have been allowed to happen and the screaming of Remainers would make the present situation of ignoring the majority of the people's will positively benign in comparison.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

And if they choose not to? If they are given a vote then either they have no option, in which case it is a sham, or they have a genuine option to reject the government's request. Why should they need to acknowledge (or more accurately, ratify) the result of a process which they themselves put in place?
    1. They won't. Are you really telling me that the MPs for Sunderland, with UKIP breathing down their necks, will vote against their constituents. And the vast, vast majority of Conservatives will vote for the motion. It would be 550-100.

2. But let's pretend it won't be a thumping victory for the government. Mrs May then calls an election. Wins a massive majority with a manifesto that is explicit about the goals of Brexit, and therefore cannot be challenged in the Lords under the Salisbury convention.
  • Options

Known as the 'Swiss roundabout' in tax circles I believe.
  • Options

Charles said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Surely it's a joke?

Time to put a full stop to all this colon talk....
  • Options

When in a hole:

This demonstrates the wisdom of having a quoted company name that is different from the product brand names.
    They need to be a bit careful. Remember what happened with Starbucks. Transfer pricing to their 'Swiss office' for tax purposes is rather frowned upon. It won't take long for a good Facebook campaign to get going. Though I have to admit that people like 38 degrees are going to be a bit torn on this one, like 'Stop the War' over Russia.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

The referendum was advisory. Fine, put it to one side.
    Could the government have triggered A50 itself anyway? This court case challenges that. In which case, if successful, continued membership of the EU can only be decided in the courts. But which court? Isn't the ECJ superior to British courts?
    IANAL obv.
    Update - scrap that, I left Parliament out!

Catch 22 ?

You can only leave the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice with a ruling from the ECJ that you can do that.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Argh

A few choice examples here. I quite like the giving birth one for its ingenuity, but then I did go to a fancy dress party dressed as an ascending colon once...
    You went as Dr Liam foxinsoxuk, then ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    TonyE said:

When in a hole:

They need to be a bit careful. Remember what happened with Starbucks. Transfer pricing to their 'Swiss office' for tax purposes is rather frowned upon. It won't take long for a good Facebook campaign to get going. Though I have to admit that people like 38 degrees are going to be a bit torn on this one, like 'Stop the War' over Russia.
    Flora , Pot Noodle , Persil and Marmite - hardly going to be a stretch to boycott these chavvy brands is it ?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941

MaxPB said:

Indeed, I'm not really sure what the logic is of the remainers who want a vote now. The inevitable cluster**** caused by even more uncertainty will be blamed solely on them.
    They're trying to assert control.

May should stand her ground on this. The people are in control of the wave, and she is riding the crest of it.

That was the kick in the nads the establishment needed to be delivered in June.

Remainers should take it on the chin and wear sackcloth and ashes until they have the support of the public again.
  • Options

Charles said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Surely it's a joke?

Time to put a full stop to all this colon talk....
    Colon .....* C word alert* you are fined 5 *redits and yellow *arded.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

Known as the 'Swiss roundabout' in tax circles I believe.
    I think a small sell spread bet in Unilever is in order....
  • Options
    Remain want to give Mrs May permission to invoke article 50 before March.

By voting not to do so they would be giving the biggest two fingers to the referendum result and general populace imaginable.

She should call their bluff.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TonyE said:

When in a hole:

Flora , Pot Noodle , Persil and Marmite - hardly going to be a stretch to boycott these chavvy brands is it ?
    No, I've started on that already, and as a heavy user of three of them!
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TGOHF said:

TonyE said:

When in a hole:

No, I've started on that already, and as a heavy user of three of them!
    Hasn't it been proven that margarine is worse for you than butter ?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Charles said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Surely it's a joke?

Be careful - I have a pouch full of GI jokes.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Remain want to give Mrs May permission to invoke article 50 before March.

By voting not to do so they would be giving the biggest two fingers to the referendum result and general populace imaginable.

She should call their bluff.

That unfortunately would be seen as a precedent, then permanently restricting Prerogative, just as the vote on the Iraq war was seen as a precedent before all military action and has weakened this country significantly as an international power.
This discussion has been closed.