Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Steven Woolf, who was odds on favourite to replace Farage, qui

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Steven Woolf, who was odds on favourite to replace Farage, quits the party

UKIP's Steven Woolfe quits the party, with statement that it is 'ungovernable' without @Nigel_Farage at the helm https://t.co/x5PeXPkEVj

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited October 2016
    First...?

Looks like it. Guess there has to be a first time for everything :smile:

Sorry.
  • Options
    Next question: are we finally going to see a sustained downturn in the polls - and if so where (if anywhere) will the departing voters go?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    test
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    edited October 2016
    Second like IS fourth
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Question is if ukip collapse who will benefit the most by 2020 and will their voters continue to vote or stay at home. Labours northern safe seats are safe for now.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    an inevitable resignation. If the party is ungovernable without Farage at the helm, its ungovernable, period.
  • Options
    We know he was going to defect when James became leader then changed his mind when she quit. Presumably the means he thinks he either won't get on the ballot or won't win the ensuing leadership election. Certainly elements of his version of the Strasbourg altercation have been challenged by others. Parliament isn't short of lawyers but he'd fit the Zeitgeist of a post Hard Brexit Conservative Party. Presumably lots of Conservative Associations will want to cement the new dispensation via selections.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,203
    It has to be a serious question as to whether UKIP will even fight the 2020 election. Given that the combined votes of the Tories and UKIP were over 50% last time out the opportunities for a PM committed to Brexit are truly huge.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Well, there goes my 500/1 on UKIP most seats then.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,118
    Lone Woolfe?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited October 2016
    Eleventh like UKIP. Now behind BOTH of the loony parties....
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    Time for the LDs to decapitate Farron and install Lamb. We might then be on the way to having a functioning opposition.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Well, there goes my 500/1 on UKIP most seats then.

Yeah. NOW it's lost.....LOL.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    edited October 2016

an inevitable resignation. If the party is ungovernable without Farage at the helm, its ungovernable, period.

Another piece of evidence in my contention that UKIP is a cult.

https://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html
  • Options
    Chris said:

Lone Woolfe?

Nah, he's gonna join the Tory pack.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2016
    DavidL said:

It has to be a serious question as to whether UKIP will even fight the 2020 election. Given that the combined votes of the Tories and UKIP were over 50% last time out the opportunities for a PM committed to Brexit are truly huge.

It's hardly surprising that a party set up for a specific purpose should lose its cohesion when its objective has been attained.

Indeed, it's entirely possible that Labour's present woes arise from the same scenario.

(edited to add: good evening, everyone)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    With the almost certain demise of UKIP Theresa May doesn't have to go Brexit Cultural Revolution to win ex-supporters for the Tories.

But I think she is already invested.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    The latest call to arms from the Lib Dem campaign in Witney is now quoting the case of Penrith and the Borders in 1983. Then the Conservatives held on in the bye-election by 552. The message - don't let it happen again.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    But which party will he now join? As an MEP he would be a valuable addition to any main party. My guess is that he will join the Tories.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:

Question is if ukip collapse who will benefit the most by 2020 and will their voters continue to vote or stay at home. Labours northern safe seats are safe for now.

The Tories will be trying their damndest to appeal to the C2s for the next four years

Posted earlier.
    http://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/opinion/james-frayne-theresa-mays-grand-plan-realign-british-politics
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Another piece of evidence in my contention that UKIP is a cult.

https://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html
    It occurs to me one could say the same about the Greens. Lord Pearson was to Nigel Farage what Natalie Bennett was to Caroline Lucas.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Quinnipiac have Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania (FOP) and Colorado polls out later this evening.
  • Options
    UKIP was bereft of meaning once the UK voted to Leave. Without a purpose or a clue how to win FPTP seats the Party may as well be wound up.

Opportunity AND danger here for the Tories. In part the "detoxification" of the Tories under Cameron was because some toxic elements went to UKIP allowing more liberal votes to go to the Tories. Not everyone who went to UKIP was a "fruitcake, nut or loon" but some were.

If the Tories go running after UKIP votes they may get them but if not careful will open themselves up to losing the more liberal wing of the Party. Not much chance of that happening versus the Tweedledee and Tweedledum of Corbyn and Farron but if another mainstream party ever got their act together then there could be a vacancy.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

With the almost certain demise of UKIP Theresa May doesn't have to go Brexit Cultural Revolution to win ex-supporters for the Tories.

The demise of UKIP means there is less pressure for Hard Brexit.
    Exactly. The nutters have just lost their leverage.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

If the former UKIP voters infiltrate the Tories like former SWP voters joining Labour then they could wield great influence.
  • Options

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

If the former UKIP voters infiltrate the Tories like former SWP voters joining Labour then they could wield great influence.
    With the minor problem that in Labour they have votes, whereas in the Tories they do not.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Orange Bookers, Cameroons and Blairites are the only other viable 'big tent' party of government. They need to get on with the realignment.
  • Options
    Does UKIP exist because of a preexisting group of unserved voters or have these voters deserted others and returned to the polls because UKIP exists ? Like the Chicken and the Egg I suspect it's a bit of both. However the sheer volume of hard socioeconomic and demographic data underpinning the UKIP surge shows there is a market there. It's also an interesting question whether europhobia is the effect of the socioeconomics or the EU is cause of the socioeconomics. On this I'm clearer it's the former though others would disagree.

One stat I would point to though is thus. Look at the calamitous devline in the traditional third party's vote share in 2015. Yes the combined Lab/Con vote share bucked the long term trend of decline slightly but only a tiny bit. The decline of one third party seemed to beget another one not radically reinforce the two party system. As Trump us showing it's very difficult synthesise the elites you need to govern with angry and discussed voters.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Woolfe for Richmond Park anyone? Would focus Zac's mind...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Oh ho! SeanT is getting soft. :D
  • Options
    nunu said:

Chris said:

Lone Woolfe?

Tories won't have Woolfe. He is trouble.
  • Options
    slade said:

The latest call to arms from the Lib Dem campaign in Witney is now quoting the case of Penrith and the Borders in 1983. Then the Conservatives held on in the bye-election by 552. The message - don't let it happen again.

I smell bull.

Tories have gone from 1-33 to 1-50 in the last few days.

As a comparison Mrs Clinton is 1-6.

Funny how liberals who monster anyone who suggests Trump might still win are now ramping a far more improbable by election win for Libdems.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

As an MEP he would be a valuable addition to any main party.

I just wanted to quote this as it is such a rare and unusual thought.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

With the minor problem that in Labour they have votes, whereas in the Tories they do not.
    What about deselections? UKIP infiltrators could kick out Osborne, Morgan, Clarke, and Sourby...
  • Options

Next question: are we finally going to see a sustained downturn in the polls - and if so where (if anywhere) will the departing voters go?

None of the above.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

That said, and playing with electoral calculus, it is amazing how low Labour's support has to go before they are overtaken.

Even if you input a result of

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Labour are STILL the second largest party!

FPTP will keep Labour alive for a long long time, even if it condemns them to semi-permanent opposition. Piquant.

At that level of swing calculators aren't worth anything.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2016
    C.f. look how FPTP "kept Labour alive" in Scotland. It can be a fickle mistress once a tipping point is reached.

EDIT: Or the so-called "cockroach" like Lib Dems nationwide for that matter too.
  • Options
    Also we can over analysis this because Woolfe is far more intelligent and attractive than the average 'Kipper. Since 1999 I think something like one in three people elected a UKIP MEP have either defected, been expelled or subsequently ended up prosecuted for something. Folk losing the whip in UKIP isn't new.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

SeanT said:

That said, and playing with electoral calculus, it is amazing how low Labour's support has to go before they are overtaken.

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

FPTP will keep Labour alive for a long long time, even if it condemns them to semi-permanent opposition. Piquant.

And the LibDems would be the third party in Parliament well after overtaking both Tory and Labour in terms of votes. Welcome to the insane unfair world of our broken voting system.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

And the LibDems would be the third party in Parliament well after overtaking both Tory and Labour in terms of votes. Welcome to the insane infair world of our broken voting system.
    No I'm saying that's extremely unlikely. At dramatic levels of swing seat calculators just don't work, if the Lib Dems get twice as many votes as Labour they would get more seats.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,118
    nunu said:

Chris said:

Lone Woolfe?

"What big Brexiteers you have, granny!"
  • Options
    edited October 2016

more intelligent and attractive than the average 'Kipper.

True praise indeed!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    tpfkar said:

Woolfe for Richmond Park anyone? Would focus Zac's mind...

No thanks.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Friend from Bangkok just emailed me to say all the bars in Bangkok - all the ones you might want to patronise - are shut til mid November. Coz of the death of the king

Change your holiday plans, people.

The problem is the crown prince, who is insane and utterly unfit to govern, even by UKIP standards. He made his dog a senior officer in the Thai Air Force and declared three days of Buddhist mourning when it died.
  • Options
    It's probably dangerous to assume that UKIP's votes are up for grabs just because the party looks like it's in trouble. People voted for UKIP previously in spite of Nigel Farage being an electoral turn off. There's a big anti-establishment protest vote out there that is not about to fall in behind Theresa's Tories.
  • Options
    Multiple sources reporting that Clinton putting resources into Arizona, Missouri, Indiana, Georgia, Texas and Nebraska CD02.

• Options
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

Dunno. If half these Kippers hold their noses and go Tory..... And none go to Corbyn... and we see swingback....

We could see a result like:

Tories: 47
    Labour: 23
    LDs: 15
    UKIP: 5

Which gives a Commons (on new boundaries) of:

Tories: 397
    Labour: 127
    LDs: 7
    UKIP: 0
    SNP: 49

Total and absolute Tory hegemony, and maybe an extinction event for Labour.
    Add in boundary changes and Scotland leaving the Union... wowzers.

I have been against holding a general election any time soon, but actually I'm now wanting May to just go for it. Use it to be elected with a mahoosive majority and with a manifesto commitment for "medium-boiled" Brexit that will be rammed through Parliament.
  • Options
    Chris said:

nunu said:

Chris said:

Lone Woolfe?

"What big Brexiteers you have, granny!"
    Sounds more like Donald
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It'll be a bit embarrassing for Labour if they get less votes than UKIP at the Witney by-election, especially after today's news about Woolfe.
  • Options

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Except that if the votes fall as you input, the results will be as predicted. They illustrate how ridiculous is our voting system, hugely biased towards parties that can concentrate their support (the very opposite of what any sensible democracy should want).
  • Options

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Orange Bookers, Cameroons and Blairites are the only other viable 'big tent' party of government. They need to get on with the realignment.
    With Labour seemingly in self destruct mode, a realignment to the Tories and Whigs as the two main parties is quite possible.

It's the getting there that's the difficult bit. Labour down to c.150 seats at the next election could be a trigger for a dozen or two leaving the blues for the yellows.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Multiple sources reporting that Clinton putting resources into Arizona, Missouri, Indiana, Georgia, Texas and Nebraska CD02.

i.e. states which voted Romney.

Not sure if I agree with the tactics, though.
  • Options
    This:

UKIP was bereft of meaning once the UK voted to Leave. Without a purpose or a clue how to win FPTP seats the Party may as well be wound up.

Opportunity AND danger here for the Tories. In part the "detoxification" of the Tories under Cameron was because some toxic elements went to UKIP allowing more liberal votes to go to the Tories. Not everyone who went to UKIP was a "fruitcake, nut or loon" but some were.

If the Tories go running after UKIP votes they may get them but if not careful will open themselves up to losing the more liberal wing of the Party. Not much chance of that happening versus the Tweedledee and Tweedledum of Corbyn and Farron but if another mainstream party ever got their act together then there could be a vacancy.

and this:

Scenario:

1. Labour is lost to the Hard Left and is progressively marginalised in England. Lib Dems are niche and support too evenly spread under FPTP. Tory hegemony ensues.

2. At some point in future, Tories have major disagreement on policy. Lack of an effective Opposition removes pressure that stops them from splitting. The centrist wing is possibly smaller, but mops up the surviving LD vote.

3. The Liberal - Conservative split is thus re-established, and we go back to something not unlike the late 19th century (but with the SNP - if Scotland hasn't left - and Rump Labour substituting for the Irish Parliamentary party.)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

But which party will he now join? As an MEP he would be a valuable addition to any main party. My guess is that he will join the Tories.

Supposedly he was already consider defecting (he was a Tory councillor before UKIP I believe). That being said he could have announced his defection today if he'd really wanted it.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,404
    JackW said:

Sensible even if you're not sure they're excessively competitive as it keeps your opponent pinned in his half so to speak.
  • Options

SeanT said:

nunu said:

Dunno. If half these Kippers hold their noses and go Tory..... And none go to Corbyn... and we see swingback....

I have been against holding a general election any time soon, but actually I'm now wanting May to just go for it. Use it to be elected with a mahoosive majority and with a manifesto commitment for "medium-boiled" Brexit that will be rammed through Parliament.
    A big Conservative majority at a snap election would then mean Remoaners rebelling in force on parliamentary votes.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Still, it would take an earthquake to dislodge Labour from its 100 safest seats. That earthquake might have been UKIP. Not any more. Labour aren't going to die out any time soon.

Remember they only died in Scotland coz there was a vivid alternative, the SNP. Lacking that, Labour in England will endure, and surely revive one day
    A vote share decline to just 10% would entail an earthquake.

In 2015 Scottish Labour fell from 42% to 25% (a drop of 17%) and fell from 41 seats to just 1. That was a political earthquake.

If they fall from over 30% in the UK in 2015 to just 10% (a drop of 20%) then they would lose almost all their seats. It would be a political earthquake.

Absolutely there would need to be an alternative, but if their vote share falls to 10% then that only happens because an alternative was found. In your example of 45 Tories, 20 LDs, 10 Labour then the LDs have become that alternative and would be second party in seats by quite some margin.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It'll be a bit embarrassing for Labour if they get less votes than UKIP at the Witney by-election, especially after today's news about Woolfe.

Woolfe is a nobody that Witney has never heard of.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

SeanT said:

nunu said:

A big Conservative majority at a snap election would then mean Remoaners rebelling in force on parliamentary votes.
    Farron would be PM. Cleggmania: The sequel!
  • Options

SeanT said:

nunu said:

I'm against it. Corbynism is like a cancer spreading across Labour. An early defeat would see the boundary reforms scrapped and Corbyn amputated prematurely. Let Corbyn fester for longer, preferably until boundary reforms and Labour leadership nomination reforms are passed.
  • Options

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

JackW said:

Sensible even if you're not sure they're excessively competitive as it keeps your opponent pinned in his half so to speak.
    Resources aren't the problem and Clinton has plenty of surrogates to go round. Michelle Obama going to Arizona is noteworthy. Indiana and Missouri are more likely to assist down ballot races.
  • Options

SeanT said:

nunu said:

Let them moan, as long as the votes carry. With a three digit majority, there can be a lot of abstainers before the whips need to come out.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Supposedly he was already consider defecting (he was a Tory councillor before UKIP I believe). That being said he could have announced his defection today if he'd really wanted it.
    To defect you need to be accepted.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Except that if the votes fall as you input, the results will be as predicted. They illustrate how ridiculous is our voting system, hugely biased towards parties that can concentrate their support (the very opposite of what any sensible democracy should want).
    No they would not. Try entering 2015 election results into 2010-2015 seat projectors. They fail.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

With Labour seemingly in self destruct mode, a realignment to the Tories and Whigs as the two main parties is quite possible.

It's the getting there that's the difficult bit. Labour down to c.150 seats at the next election could be a trigger for a dozen or two leaving the blues for the yellows.
    The test is when PB'ers like our Southam recognise that Labour's vision (such as it is) and culture are no longer appropriate to the more individualistic world of the 21st century. Then, there is the prospect of some realignment. So long as they cling to the idea that Corbyn and his hundreds of thousands of lefties might one day disappear in a puff of smoke, as currently appears to be their view, we are stuck with the current impasse as far as progressive politics is concerned.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    "City of London Reliance on Passporting is Exaggerated"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-banks-idUKKBN12G101?il=0
  • Options

SeanT said:

nunu said:

I'm against it. Corbynism is like a cancer spreading across Labour. An early defeat would see the boundary reforms scrapped and Corbyn amputated prematurely. Let Corbyn fester for longer, preferably until boundary reforms and Labour leadership nomination reforms are passed.
    Yes. I was thinking of an early election in May 2019, as we celebrate leaving the EU but after the boundaries have gone through.

Shame there's not really much that can be done to speed the Commissioners up, but they're independent for a good reason - which is easily seen in the US with their dodgy districts.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

No they would not. Try entering 2015 election results into 2010-2015 seat projectors. They fail.
    You miss my point. The seat model within the calculator tells you how many seats each party wins, and also tells you how many votes they get in total (which is, of course, the total that you input in the first place). If the votes fall exactly as modelled in the calculator, then the result is the one you will get. You can argue until the cows come home that in practice the same votes might be distributed differently, but you cannot argue that if the calculator has the vote distribution correct, the result is as it says.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

JackW said:

This isn't about the presidency, this is about down ticket races.

Hilary is going for a giant halo effect. Any GOP who vocally supported Trump is in her cross hairs. Any hokey-cokey Trumper is in the Trump base cross hairs.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

Farron is at 22s on Betfair. Shorter than Chris Grayling.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Kander likely gain Missouri senate seat. Excellent candidate.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

An easy lay.

Farron is an irrelevance. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new leader in time for the 2020 general election.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

No-one should underestimate how febrile politics is at the moment. May has good support because she is the only apparently sane person left standing. That could all change in an instant.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

The test is when PB'ers like our Southam recognise that Labour's vision (such as it is) and culture are no longer appropriate to the more individualistic world of the 21st century. Then, there is the prospect of some realignment. So long as they cling to the idea that Corbyn and his hundreds of thousands of lefties might one day disappear in a puff of smoke, as currently appears to be their view, we are stuck with the current impasse as far as progressive politics is concerned.
    Seems fairly credible to me that the realignment might come along the Remain/Leave divide.

Presumably there would be a Re-enter-Europe-at-any-price party and a Make-the-best-of-what-we-are party.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

You miss my point. The seat model within the calculator tells you how many seats each party wins, and also tells you how many votes they get in total (which is, of course, the total that you input in the first place). If the votes fall exactly as modelled in the calculator, then the result is the one you will get. You can argue until the cows come home that in practice the same votes might be distributed differently, but you cannot argue that if the calculator has the vote distribution correct, the result is as it says.
    Except you're delusional if you believe that you can cut a parties share by two-thirds and "the votes fall exactly as modelled in the calculator". It has simply never happened.

"If the model is correct the result is correct" is a truism not an argument.
  • Options
    It all depends what people mean by an early election. Next Spring is certainly very possible. Too late now. No one will want an election after the clocks go back plus the £ is too unsettled. The big problem is the shape of Brexit isn't in the Goldilocks Zone yet. For a successful Brexit election you need enough of an outline to claim a mandate but not enough of an outline to maximise opposition or get bogged down in the details. The other issue, May having ruled an election out, is you need a casus beli. You need either a Bruxelles or Parliamentary blockage to be cleared. But we won't get these ( if they happen ) till the middle of next year. ECA repeal isn't until the new session. Tusk's ' Hard Brexit or No Brexit ' wouldn't play until A50 is invoked.

The Earliest I can see is if the Supreme Court rules an Act of Parliament is needed to invoke A50. May tries to rush through a one clause bill then a pro Single Market Commons and Lords passes it but wth multiple Sunrise and Sunset clauses. May abandons it and goes to the country on the first Thursday in May. Or Mayday as the Sun will call it.

I'm well aware how many variables there are in scenario. It's highly speculative. And of course Governments can stage false flag casus beli very easierly. But in a curious way if May wants the option of an early election the Supreme Court mandating an A50 bill may be her best bet.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Except you're delusional if you believe that you can cut a parties share by two-thirds and "the votes fall exactly as modelled in the calculator". It has simply never happened.

Of course. But who is to say whether those same votes fall in a more, or less, favourable way? That is just speculation. The point is that the calculator's result is theoretically possible, but undeniably unreasonable.
  • Options

This:

and this:

Scenario:

1. Labour is lost to the Hard Left and is progressively marginalised in England. Lib Dems are niche and support too evenly spread under FPTP. Tory hegemony ensues.

2. At some point in future, Tories have major disagreement on policy. Lack of an effective Opposition removes pressure that stops them from splitting. The centrist wing is possibly smaller, but mops up the surviving LD vote.

3. The Liberal - Conservative split is thus re-established, and we go back to something not unlike the late 19th century (but with the SNP - if Scotland hasn't left - and Rump Labour substituting for the Irish Parliamentary party.)
    Yes I think something like this is quite plausible. The interesting thing is that on the 20th century version of the left-right axis, this would put the Conservatives on the interventionist left and the Liberals on the small state right.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

This isn't about the presidency, this is about down ticket races.

Hilary is going for a giant halo effect. Any GOP who vocally supported Trump is in her cross hairs. Any hokey-cokey Trumper is in the Trump base cross hairs.
    Those aren't the most contested - particularly House - elections though. They are squarely the next six seats after swing seats.
  • Options

This:

and this:

Scenario:

Yes I think something like this is quite plausible. The interesting thing is that on the 20th century version of the left-right axis, this would put the Conservatives on the interventionist left and the Liberals on the small state right.
    And, as far as the 'class system' is concerned, with the LibDems representing census categories higher in the alphabet than the Tories - the opposite of how the party system started out!

In the US, there have been big historical shifts in how certain states, and demographics, have voted, but it would be a first for the UK
  • Options
    The SNP was 70 + years old and already in government in Scotland when they started destroying Labour. UKIP have the problem that their parliamentary base is about to disappear. The loss of all UKIP's MEP's in March 2019 ( latest ) will be a crippling blow to a party at it's stage of development.

This is at the heart of the let's realignment dilemma as well. Of course Labour is crippled and no longer for purpose. Ideally we'd move pronto to a Democratic Party for Westminster elections and allow existing parties to compete freely in all other elections. But setting up new political parties s incredibly hard. Incredibly hard. There is a reason the buggers so rarely die. In this sense New Labour and Corbynism are akin. They both recognise taking over an existing structure , however difficult, is less difficult than building from scratch. Ask UKIP or the SDP.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This:

and this:

Scenario:

And, as far as the 'class system' is concerned, with the LibDems representing census categories higher in the alphabet than the Tories - the opposite of how the party system started out!

In the US, there have been big historical shifts in how certain states, and demographics, have voted, but it would be a first for the UK
    The first shift across the country. But there are plenty of examples of long term changes in preferences, consider the highlands or Liverpool.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

45 Tories

20 Lib Dems

10 Labour

10 UKIP

5 Greens

Of course. But who is to say whether those same votes fall in a more, or less, favourable way? That is just speculation. The point is that the calculator's result is theoretically possible, but undeniably unreasonable.
    It's not undeniably unreasonable. We all elect the most popular local representatives, if the most popular representative in a local area is concentrated in one party then that is the choice of those voters.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    As linked FPT, Telegraph has the scoop.

SW: “I was the subject of vicious briefing by forces within Ukip who wanted to expel the legacy of Nigel Farage. - First, they claimed my party membership had lapsed, despite me being an MEP since 2014 and paying all necessary subscriptions. Next, they dragged up a minor drink driving conviction from 2002 as evidence of my unsuitability. Finally, they said I was ineligible because a technical fault with the party’s out of date computer systems had received my paperwork 17 minutes after the deadline.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/17/ukip-is-ungovernable-i-hoped-to-be-leader---instead-today-i-quit/

Not bitter much…
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    In other "ungovernable" news, Mrs. Price and I are delighted to announce the arrival of infant Price #3, Maia Elisabeth, born yesterday morning at 9.48am and weighing 8lb 14oz. Both mother and baby doing well and back at home!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

Some interesting articles in the FT

Heathrow almost certain..

https://www.ft.com/content/d389df74-9486-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582

Hammond and May are fighting the Hard Brexiteers?

https://www.ft.com/content/2633a1dc-9465-11e6-a80e-bcd69f323a8b

Janan Ganesh thinks voters will change their minds on Brexit, when inflation kicks in

https://www.ft.com/content/15dadb7e-944d-11e6-a80e-bcd69f323a8b

Unless inflation goes absolutely crazy, I can't see it personally.

Most Brexit supporters are of an age where they can recall real inflation, while ultra-low interest rates of 0.25% have been terrible for the prudent.

It's also worth noting that outright owners who were heavily in favour of Leave and most likely to vote, account for a third of all households. They are safe from mortgage rate changes.

A great many also feel that house prices should fall for the benefit of their children and grandchildren who form generation rent.

People were told all the worst case scenarios - penury, world war 3, no one will talk to us or deal with us, back of the queue etc - and still voted Leave.

It's difficult to envisage all but the very softest leavers having a change of heart.
  • Options

In other "ungovernable" news, Mrs. Price and I are delighted to announce the arrival of infant Price #3, Maia Elisabeth, born yesterday morning at 9.48am and weighing 8lb 14oz. Both mother and baby doing well and back at home!

Jubilate Deo !
  • Options

Congratulations, welcome to a life of spelling your first name out Maia :)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Congratulations, welcome to a life of spelling your first name out Maia :)
    We debated sparing her the slightly more unusual form of her middle name on the basis that she already had enough on her plate...
  • Options

Congratulations to you all :smiley:
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Many congratulations Mr Price to you and your good lady. – Lovely choice of name btw.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Quinnipiac - Florida .. Ohio .. Pennsylvania .. Colorado .. 10-16 Oct

FL - Clinton 48 .. Trump 44
    OH - Clinton 45 .. Trump 45
    PA - Clinton 47 .. Trump 41
    CO - Clinton 45 .. Trump 37

https://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2388
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    SeanT said:

Janan Ganesh thinks voters will change their minds on Brexit, when inflation kicks in

When Janan says "when inflation kicks in", I guess he doesn't mean house price inflation. That kicked in many years ago....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

Congrats. :)
  • Options

Wonderful news .... :smiley:
  • Options

Woo, congratulations to the family on the new arrival! :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

Most Brexit supporters are of an age where they can recall real inflation, while ultra-low interest rates of 0.25% have been terrible for the prudent.

It's also worth noting that outright owners who were heavily in favour of Leave and most likely to vote, account for a third of all households. They are safe from mortgage rate changes.

A great many also feel that house prices should fall for the benefit of their children and grandchildren who form generation rent.

People were told all the worst case scenarios - penury, world war 3, no one will talk to us or deal with us, back of the queue etc - and still voted Leave.

It's difficult to envisage all but the very softest leavers having a change of heart.
    Yes, I think it's wishful thinking by Ganesh. However I do think it's possible, indeed probable, that public opinion will swing behind a Very Soft Brexit as the economic indicators go negative (and they will). There is already evidence of this in the ComRes poll showing voters emphasising trade.

But that could be me - a Soft Brexiteer - indulging my own wishful thinking!
    As far as Brexit goes, I don't see the public opinion matters very much - it seems highly likely that public opinion was in favour of a much more radical re-negotiation by Mr Cameron, but it didn't happen.

Where public opinion does matter, of course, is in the response to the actual effects of Brexit (if & when they happen).

It's quite possible that Mrs May's government could make an extremely good job of the exit and yet voters won't like the reality of what they voted for - and dump the Conservatives at the next GE.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

chestnut said:

SeanT said:

Yes, I think it's wishful thinking by Ganesh. However I do think it's possible, indeed probable, that public opinion will swing behind a Very Soft Brexit as the economic indicators go negative (and they will). There is already evidence of this in the ComRes poll showing voters emphasising trade.

But that could be me - a Soft Brexiteer - indulging my own wishful thinking!
    I think most people would like a sensibly negotiated Brexit.

I think Ms Cyclefree was spot on when she asked why free trade has to be accompanied by free movement.

It seems to have become a matter of ideological obstinancy rather than some essential aspect of trading goods and services freely.

If the EU had been sensible, Remain would have won the referendum by 75-25.

Those pointing the finger at Britain and Brexiteers for the result are letting the real culprits off the hook. It's a product of EU intransigence, not unreasonable Britons.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

We debated sparing her the slightly more unusual form of her middle name on the basis that she already had enough on her plate...

Known to her friends as

Liz
    Lis

Beth
  • Options

Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.