Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nicola Sturgeon should go for a second Independence referendum

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nicola Sturgeon should go for a second Independence referendum says Alastair Meeks

A year ago I wrote about why Nicola Sturgeon was so chary of committing to a second referendum on independence.  With the SNP hegemonic in Scotland but with Yes continuing to lag in the polls, I formed the view that Nicola Sturgeon would probably not seek an unequivocal mandate for a second referendum in the SNP’s manifesto for the 2016 Holyrood elections for fear of losing one.  So it proved.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited October 2016
    The status quo angle is interesting, and it potentially makes for a much fairer FUD fight. But the problem is the timing.

If Britain is supposed to be leaving the EU in 2019, and Scotland is leaving the UK to stay in the EU, does that mean you have to do Scottish independence in two years as well? That sounds a little bit tight.

Alternatively maybe Sturgeon could say that Brexit would be delayed while the Scots got their shit together. But then they have the same problem they did with the pound: They'd be saying rUK would do something, but all the while rUK would be saying "no, we wouldn't". And the EU needs to agree unanimously as well, which Spain and potentially other countries with separatist problems would pretend to intend to veto.

Or maybe they say they'd leave the EU with Britain then leave Britain and go back into the EU? But that's *two* irksome things, so now you have double the FUD.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited October 2016
    As with Brexit, so with Scottish independence = it's the brutal reality of doing it in practice that really weighs. If you think Brexit is barmy then Scottish independence is may times worse. No one ought to wish that on the Scots.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    I wonder if they could push for hard devomax? everything except for defence, including remaining in the single market? (must be cheaper for Scotland than for the whole UK?) A referendum on something short of independence might be winnable?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I thought Parliament had to agree to a second referendum for it to have any validity?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

I wonder if they could push for hard devomax? everything except for defence, including remaining in the single market? (must be cheaper for Scotland than for the whole UK?) A referendum on something short of independence might be winnable?

That's an interesting thought, though of course Westminter could say that whatever package they want isn't on the table. (As the EU would have done with whatever leave package Cameron would have offered in June, had it been more specific).
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

I thought Parliament had to agree to a second referendum for it to have any validity?

The British parliament would have to agree for it to be formally binding on Westminster. But I think they'd have a problem just ignoring it.

I suppose they might conceivably say, "You voted to leave but your referendum is illegitimate, so we'll schedule our own", then try to game the question and the timing to make that one harder to win.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    May could do a lot to spike Sturgeon's guns by setting out what would be devolved from Brussels to Holyrood - Fisheries for example - you can hardly complain for decades about Westminster failing to protect Scottish fisheries in Brussels then say 'no thanks' when offered the job yourself....
  • Options
    If the Scots want a second referendum they should undoubtedly have one. And if the English can vote for economic self-harm, why not the Scots too? Up to now, of course, the Scots have not done that - but these are strange times. If two countries in a union are heading in very different directions, there comes a point when they have to go their own ways. Those of us who think we are better together - in the UK and the EU - just need to accept that, stop moaning and get on with it.
  • Options

The British parliament would have to agree for it to be formally binding on Westminster. But I think they'd have a problem just ignoring it.

I suppose they might conceivably say, "You voted to leave but your referendum is illegitimate, so we'll schedule our own", then try to game the question and the timing to make that one harder to win.

If Sturgeon asked May to green light a new referendum and May said No, it would be an absolute gift for Sturgeon. It could even be what she is counting on.

• Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    So "another referendum on the same issue" is in the air?

One thing that hasn't changed is that Scotland has no right to belong to the EU and would have to apply for membership. Belonging to the single market but not the EU - probably meaning customs posts on the border with England - would be akin to using sterling without having a say over monetary policy. In short, it's a load of old cock, although if they wrap it in the saltire and denounce their opponents as "talking Scotland down", Sturgeon's party may be able to sell it to a large proportion of their own supporters.

Scotland wouldn't be like Norway with the oil and the big sovereign fund.

The SNP is full of "me me me" pork belly-chasing types who dream of getting as many grants out of the EU as politicians and their business supporters do in Ireland. That's what the EU means for them. They can dream away, but the talk of a second referendum is a waste of public money. Brexit would change so little in Scotland that the SNP's barefaced assertion that the Euref result necessitates tearing up the indyref mandate - which was very clearly to keep the union - is utterly dishonest and self-serving. If the Greens had any backbone they would bring the minority SNP government down. But they haven't and won't.
  • Options

If Sturgeon asked May to green light a new referendum and May said No, it would be an absolute gift for Sturgeon. It could even be what she is counting on.

Why.. May has stood by the result Eu referendum. She will equally stand by the result of the Scots referendum.
  • Options
    As a matter of interest, do we have anyone writing on this site who was and is thoroughly pro-Brexit? Given that a majority of the country voted for it, there's a case to be made.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Off-topic:

Good on Obama:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37621371/obama-signs-law-for-male-toilets-in-the-us-to-be-equipped-with-baby-change

Unbelievably, a soft play centre I occasionally go to with the little 'un has no baby change facilities in the male washroom. I had to either change him on the toilet floor, or on the carpet outside.
  • Options

Why.. May has stood by the result Eu referendum. She will equally stand by the result of the Scots referendum.

There can't be a binding referendum in the first place without Westminster's say-so.

• Options
    edited October 2016

May has stood by the result Eu referendum.

Could you imagine a prime minister, within a few months of the referendum, telling people to shove the referendum result where the sun doesn't shine? May and her buffoon of a Foreign Secretary are just a stopgap.

• Options
    edited October 2016

But she also might believe it appropriate to stand by the Edinburgh Agreement which set out that the referendum should be 'decisive' and the Scottish Government's own White Paper which called it a 'once in a generation' opportunity (as did Salmond on several occasions).

If Sturgeon doesn't like the result again, what's to stop her calling one in another two years, then another two years and so on?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

As a matter of interest, do we have anyone writing on this site who was and is thoroughly pro-Brexit? Given that a majority of the country voted for it, there's a case to be made.

I'm for Qexit (Quick Exit). My fear is that uncertainty is going to be bad - perhaps as bad - as the deal, particularly if prolonged. A poor deal arranged immediately might be less harmful to the UK than a sightly better deal that we only get in two years' time.

Can we have a thread on Qexit please? :)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

It's not true that a majority of the country voted for it.

A slim majority of those who voted, voted for it.

Turnout was respectable, but had we had compulsory voting then remain would probably have won.
  • Options

But she also might believe it appropriate to stand by the Edinburgh Agreement which set out that the referendum should be 'decisive' and the Scottish Government's own White Paper which called it a 'once in a generation' opportunity (as did Salmond on several occasions.

If Sturgeon doesn't like the result again, what's to stop her calling one in another two years, the another two years and so on?
    Agreed, but once the Scottish nationalists have lost two referendums in quick succession it might be more difficult for her to wail for a third referendum from her new residence in the dustbin of history.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Overnight National Polling :

National - Fox News - Sample 912 - 15-17 Oct

Clinton 49 .. Trump 42

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/10/18/fox-news-poll-clinton-tops-trump-by-6-points.html

National - IPSOS/Reuters - Sample 1.187 - 13-17 Oct

Clinton 42.5 .. Trump 37.6

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TM651Y15_26/filters/LIKELY:1

National Panel Tracker - LA Times - Sample 2,983 - 18 Oct

Clinton 43.3 .. Trump 44.9

http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

But she also might believe it appropriate to stand by the Edinburgh Agreement which set out that the referendum should be 'decisive' and the Scottish Government's own White Paper which called it a 'once in a generation' opportunity (as did Salmond on several occasions).

If Sturgeon doesn't like the result again, what's to stop her calling one in another two years, then another two years and so on?
    And if Sturgeon wants to tear up the Edinburgh Agreement, how can any agreement she subsequently makes be trusted?
  • Options

I'm for Qexit (Quick Exit). My fear is that uncertainty is going to be bad - perhaps as bad - as the deal, particularly if prolonged. A poor deal arranged immediately might be less harmful to the UK than a sightly better deal that we only get in two years' time.

Sorry I should have put that better: I mean anyone who writes thread headers (assuming you don't?)
  • Options
    Pong said:

Oh dear, that old chestnut.

Remoaners do themselves few favours with remarks like that.
  • Options

And if Sturgeon wants to tear up the Edinburgh Agreement, how can any agreement she subsequently makes be trusted?

If Sturgeon goes to May and asks for a referendum and May says No the SNP will be able to build up a symphony of grievance. From the moment of that No, all economic bad news - whether Brexit inspired or not - can be blamed on Westminster, which can also be portrayed as standing as an undemocratic block to the aspirations of the Scottish people. I think that this is what Sturgeon will be counting on as the best route to a Yes win in 2021.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    North Carolina - SUSA - Sample 651 - 14-16 Oct

Clinton 48 .. Trump 46

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=ce17282d-d070-493a-8bcd-ee02ca9016e6
  • Options

Maybe we could reuse these adverts...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tc2K4j4iqs
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Gee thanks Alastair. The last Indy campaign was the most politically traumatic event of my life by a distance. The prospects of going through all that again just thrills me.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited October 2016

Who cares?

In the Brave New World on PB legally binding agreements are a trivial nuisance. It's Nationalist pride that counts, apparently.

I particularly liked this from the previous thread.

MP_SE Posts:

Sean_F said:

» show previous quotes

I don't think the ECJ would have jurisdiction.

They don't.

Scene: The High Court

Lawyer A: "M'Lord, given that this case hinges on the rights of citizens granted under treaties of the European Union, it appears that some aspects of the case pertinent to those rights and their application may need to be referred to the ECJ"

Lawyer B: "Nah, mate, some bloke on an Internet forum says they don't have jurisdiction"

Judge: "Sorted, Bruv"
  • Options

I think that this is what Sturgeon will be counting on as the best route to a Yes win in 2021.

Except she is pitching for a vote before Brexit, not after
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I think that this is what Sturgeon will be counting on as the best route to a Yes win in 2021.

Except she is pitching for a vote before Brexit, not after

Yep, I know. But what is said in public is not always what is thought in private. See French ambassadors and Tory general election victories ;-)

• Options
    DavidL said:

Gee thanks Alastair. The last Indy campaign was the most politically traumatic event of my life by a distance. The prospects of going through all that again just thrills me.

Remain should have warned you that a Leave victory increased the chance of a second Indyref/an Independent Scotland.

Oh.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

The truth may be inconvenient for you, but it doesn't stop it being the truth.
  • Options
    I see the EU treason petition got pulled after complaints from remoaners who didn't like being trolled.

Not quite sure on what grounds, unless trolling the establishment is a ground for pulling such petitions.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2016

Me too.

May and tbe Brexiteers faffing about is doing no good at all. Quexit is a great neoligism.

Alastair is right about Indyref 2 "If not now, when?". Scotland decisively voted to Remain, and while the economic case for independence is weaker, the political one is stronger.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,175
    edited October 2016
    The big question that Sturgeon seemed to be hit with during her conference was "how would the border work" - ie a no-to-foreign-types hard Brexit means controlling our borders so how would Scotland staying in the EU work?

They miss the back door in Ireland. The Common Travel Area will leave a porous border between the UK and EU. Whatever froth may appear on the lips of David Davis and Liam Fox, the border remains open. So Scotland doing the same wouldn't be a problem - but surely this is where the whole concept of a "United Kingdom" gets silly.

The UK survived losing one component. It wouldnt survive two. Time to look at federal or confederation solutions. And the same for the EU.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    edited October 2016
    At the moment this subject is relevant principally as a piece of leverage for soft Brexit, and yet another reason why May would be taking a huge risk in delivering a Brexit that turns out "too hard".

Contrary to the indications immediately after EUref, the balance of view on Scotindy hasn't significantly changed because of the UK vote.

The unknown is whether, like last time, the balance would shift significantly towards independence during any second referendum? If it does, then the yes side is as good as home already. However the first referendum is an unusual example of a campaign shifting sentiment significantly - and support for independence hasn't sunk back to pre-campaign levels. So it is more likely that the bulk of those receptive to the idea have already been won over?

The SNP would have one significant advantage during a second campaign. Their opponents would be an unhappy mix of mostly pro-Brexit Tories, and pro-Remain Labour and LibDems, pushed to campaign together in the middle of an exit process on which they profoundly disagree. I don't see this working out too well either in terms of campaign messaging or co-operation? Plus everyone will be aware, as they weren't last time, that a referendum campaign can shift the terms of domestic politics; no-one will want to volunteer to repeat Labour's experience last time, where winning did them no favours at all.

So the stakes are high, all round!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    DavidL said:

I don't want to go through all that again either.

I just have a horrible feeling at the pit of my stomach that Alastair is right.
  • Options
    FWIW I think that a second referendum would lose by a larger majority than the last one. It has to be remembered that Salmond got all his ducks in a row for the last one to make it the most propitious of circumstances. The oil price was high and there was still an economically significant amount left. We had a Tory government that Scotland had decisively rejected imposing austerity on Scotland in a high profile way (remember the bedroom tax?). The promises were all about how we were going to spend the additional public money that would be available. £1000 a head was the numbers on the posters along with think of the children.

Now, not so much. The collapse of the tax take from the North Sea has done horrendous things to the GERS figures. It is frankly unarguable that an independent Scotland would have to cut public spending by at least 10% across the Board more or less immediately, possibly a lot more. The currency argument is still not answered. The new risk of losing our single market with rUK in the event of a hard Brexit is well understood and discussed. And the Scottish Tories are much stronger than they were making Scotland seem not quite so different.

For those who care most about independence none of this matters. Like Brexiteers they are sanguine about some temporary hardship and believe that in the long run running our own affairs will compensate. But they are nowhere near a majority. The coalition Salmond put together included a significant number of wishful thinkers. I don't think Sturgeon could get them at this stage.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

I see the EU treason petition got pulled after complaints from remoaners who didn't like being trolled.

Not quite sure on what grounds, unless trolling the establishment is a ground for pulling such petitions.

It got pulled because it was silly, surely.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    IanB2 said:

At the moment this subject is relevant principally as a piece of leverage for soft Brexit, and yet another reason why May would be taking a huge risk in delivering a Brexit that turns out "too hard".

Contrary to the indications immediately after EUref, the balance of view on Scotindy hasn't significantly changed because of the UK vote.

The unknown is whether, like last time, the balance would shift significantly towards independence during any second referendum? If it does, then the yes side is as good as home already. However the first referendum is an unusual example of a campaign shifting sentiment significantly - and support for independence hasn't sunk back to pre-campaign levels. So it is more likely that the bulk of those receptive to the idea have already been won over?

The SNP would have one significant advantage during a second campaign. Their opponents would be an unhappy mix of mostly pro-Brexit Tories, and pro-Remain Labour and LibDems, pushed to campaign together in the middle of an exit process on which they profoundly disagree. I don't see this working out too well either in terms of campaign messaging or co-operation? Plus everyone will be aware, as they weren't last time, that a referendum campaign can shift the terms of domestic politics; no-one will want to volunteer to repeat Labour's experience last time, where winning did them no favours at all.

Indeed, SLAB may change sides, looking to prosper in Sindy Scotland, and quite possibly a greater percentage of SLD and SCON.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Nor does it stop it being irrelevant. If you don't vote, you don't count.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Interesting piece Alastair. If you think winning an independence referendum is all that matters, then I think there is a logic to what you say. Now is the time to go for it. However, the SNP must know that whereas ownership of Brexit is now with a mix of people who campaigned on either side of the debate, ownership of Sexit will well and truly lie with them. This caught my eye...

[Theresa May] might simultaneously be seeking to negotiate soft Brexit with Brussels while warning of the effects of hard Brexit in Scotland.

I actually thought you were going to say that May would be warning of the effects of hard Sexit. And hard Sexit is a lot harder than hard Brexit.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

52-48.

No vote, no voice.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Remain should have warned you that a Leave victory increased the chance of a second Indyref/an Independent Scotland.

Oh.
    Yes they did and it is no doubt why Alastair is seeking to ruin my breakfast. But for the reasons I have set out in my other post it is in reality a non runner.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Interesting piece Alastair. If you think winning an independence referendum is all that matters, then I think there is a logic to what you say. Now is the time to go for it. However, the SNP must know that whereas ownership of Brexit is now with a mix of people who campaigned on either side of the debate, ownership of Sexit will well and truly lie with them. This caught my eye...

[Theresa May] might simultaneously be seeking to negotiate soft Brexit with Brussels while warning of the effects of hard Brexit in Scotland.

I actually thought you were going to say that May would be warning of the effects of hard Sexit. And hard Sexit is a lot harder than hard Brexit.

Getting a Yes vote is what the SNP was set up to achieve. What happens after that beyond the separation from England is of no importance to the party. If it ceased to exist on the day that independence happened why would any of its leaders or members care?

• Options

Pong said:

Pong said:

MPs have a duty to represent the interests of all their constituents, not just the ones who vote.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    If Sturgeon truly wishes for independence whatever the economic consequences, then I think Alastair's case is pretty compelling. What do Scottish Nationalists here think ?

Judging from the last time around the timescale from any decision to hold a referendum to the event itself would be at least two years, which coincides rather neatly with the post A50 period. Brexit negotiations would be even more of a Horlicks than they look like being now.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

DavidL said:

Oh.
    I heard the warnings and:
    a) struggle to believe that Scots would rather be governed from Brussels than Westminster
    b) in any case consider getting part of the UK out better than none at all.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FWIW I think that a second referendum would lose by a larger majority than the last one. It has to be remembered that Salmond got all his ducks in a row for the last one to make it the most propitious of circumstances. The oil price was high and there was still an economically significant amount left. We had a Tory government that Scotland had decisively rejected imposing austerity on Scotland in a high profile way (remember the bedroom tax?). The promises were all about how we were going to spend the additional public money that would be available. £1000 a head was the numbers on the posters along with think of the children.

Now, not so much. The collapse of the tax take from the North Sea has done horrendous things to the GERS figures. It is frankly unarguable that an independent Scotland would have to cut public spending by at least 10% across the Board more or less immediately, possibly a lot more. The currency argument is still not answered. The new risk of losing our single market with rUK in the event of a hard Brexit is well understood and discussed. And the Scottish Tories are much stronger than they were making Scotland seem not quite so different.

For those who care most about independence none of this matters. Like Brexiteers they are sanguine about some temporary hardship and believe that in the long run running our own affairs will compensate. But they are nowhere near a majority. The coalition Salmond put together included a significant number of wishful thinkers. I don't think Sturgeon could get them at this stage.

It's interesting that Salmond nominated Brexiteer Kate Hoey to chair the Commons Brexit Select Committee. It is pretty clear he wants Brexit to be as hard as possible. John Nicholson, on the other hand, nominated Hillary Benn. It's unusual for SNP MPs to take opposing views like this and it will be interesting to see who the majority of the party's Westminster contingent backs in the vote tomorrow.

• Options
    An interesting piece from Alastair and I think his contention - which he doesn't state explicitly but is writ large beneath the detail, that Peak Indy has passed - is right. The costs of breaking up with England will only grow post-Brexit if Scotland wants to be part of the EU.

Of course, that does beg the question of why Scotland would want to be part of the EU. It's one thing for 62% to vote for Remain as part of the UK and when the UK was a member; it might be a rather different proposition with the UK already on the outside and Scotland considering membership in its own right, with all that would imply. Scotland might get away with not signing up to Schengen for the same reason that Ireland hasn't but signing up to the Euro would have to be a given - and with the probability that there'd be an expiry date on the underwritten usage of Sterling, there'd have to be a transition to a different currency. The logic points inevitably to an early Euro adoption.

But those arguments would apply whenever. If EU membership is central to the independence case then yes, the referendum must be held asap, when the arguments haven't completely run against it and when there's leverage in the Brexit talks. Still begs the question of why Scotland would want to sign up to domination from Brussels.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

DavidL said:

Oh.
    a) struggle to believe that Scots would rather be governed from Brussels than Westminster
    As Emperor Kahless said "Destroying an Empire to win a war is no victory. And ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat."
  • Options

Pong said:

Still, a majority of graduates voted to Remain. I daresay Jenny thinks the same of universities as she does of foreigners.

• Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016

Essexit said:

DavidL said:

Oh.
    As Emperor Kahless said "Destroying an Empire to win a war is no victory. And ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat."
    I recall that Lord Halifax, the former King Edward V111 and Von Ribbentrop also shared that view.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Getting a Yes vote is what the SNP was set up to achieve. What happens after that beyond the separation from England is of no importance to the party. If it ceased to exist on the day that independence happened why would any of its leaders or members care?

Eh careers? Can you name one nationalist movement that has gained power and then thought, you know what lads? Let's call it a day.

But Salmond achieved a truly remarkable majority in a system that was supposed to make that almost impossible. Sturgeon did not. Whilst still totally dominant the SNP are past their peak. Next year they will take Glasgow from SLAB and increase their hold on some of the central belt councils but they will slip back in the borders and north of Perth.
  • Options
    Herald's Political Editor:

Brexit is creating another kind of strain. One-third of SNP voters supported it. And, as one young delegate told me, he and other Leavers aren’t happy about the party leadership demonising Brexit and trying to make it synonymous with the Tories and xenophobia.

Until Brexit, he’d never disagreed with Ms Sturgeon but now he disagreed more and more.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14803842.Could_the_SNP_bubble_be_about__to_burst_/

• Options
    edited October 2016

IanB2 said:

Indeed, SLAB may change sides, looking to prosper in Sindy Scotland, and quite possibly a greater percentage of SLD and SCON.
    I pick up the same from LibDems.

My guess is that the "stay" effort would fall almost entirely upon the Tories. That would position them very well for the post-referendum environment - you can see a two-party system emerging in Scotland already. But are the Tories really able to carry a majority in a Scottish vote? That would have been a clear QTWTAIN until very recently. Strike when your opponents are in maximum disarray is something that will be on Sturgeon's mind.
  • Options

Pong said:

Pong said:

MPs have a duty to represent the interests of all their constituents, not just the ones who vote.

A duty more honoured in the breach than the observance, not unsurprisingly.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    edited October 2016
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh.
    Yes they did and it is no doubt why Alastair is seeking to ruin my breakfast. But for the reasons I have set out in my other post it is in reality a non runner.
    It's a non-runner while we are in the current phoney war phase.

Once the three stooges begin to flesh out their proposals, or when they inevitably leak during negotiations, or when the final deal is announced, it might become a much-welcomed runner.
  • Options

An interesting piece from Alastair and I think his contention - which he doesn't state explicitly but is writ large beneath the detail, that Peak Indy has passed - is right. The costs of breaking up with England will only grow post-Brexit if Scotland wants to be part of the EU.

Of course, that does beg the question of why Scotland would want to be part of the EU. It's one thing for 62% to vote for Remain as part of the UK and when the UK was a member; it might be a rather different proposition with the UK already on the outside and Scotland considering membership in its own right, with all that would imply. Scotland might get away with not signing up to Schengen for the same reason that Ireland hasn't but signing up to the Euro would have to be a given - and with the probability that there'd be an expiry date on the underwritten usage of Sterling, there'd have to be a transition to a different currency. The logic points inevitably to an early Euro adoption.

But those arguments would apply whenever. If EU membership is central to the independence case then yes, the referendum must be held asap, when the arguments haven't completely run against it and when there's leverage in the Brexit talks. Still begs the question of why Scotland would want to sign up to domination from Brussels.

The government of an independent Scotland would enjoy a lot more freedom to act within the EU than the government of a devolved Scotland has within the UK. As the EU referendum showed, there are more important things than economics and finance. If the English are happy to countenance being potentially worse off but more in charge of their own destinies, why not the Scots?

• Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Eh careers? Can you name one nationalist movement that has gained power and then thought, you know what lads? Let's call it a day.

But Salmond achieved a truly remarkable majority in a system that was supposed to make that almost impossible. Sturgeon did not. Whilst still totally dominant the SNP are past their peak. Next year they will take Glasgow from SLAB and increase their hold on some of the central belt councils but they will slip back in the borders and north of Perth.

My guess is that Sturgeon, Salmond et al did not join the SNP to further their careers.

• Options

The government of an independent Scotland would enjoy a lot more freedom to act within the EU than the government of a devolved Scotland has within the UK. As the EU referendum showed, there are more important things than economics and finance. If the English are happy to countenance being potentially worse off but more in charge of their own destinies, why not the Scots?

Is the crux of the matter.

I think there will be too many sensible types nevertheless at whatever juncture however.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Well, given that the SNP would almost certainly be in government at the time of independence, I imagine the leaders and members wouldn't like to see their new country born in a political vacuum. But that's being pedantic. The substance of the point is right. If the SNP ever does achieve its mission, it might transform, it might fall apart or it might just gently wither but whichever, it woouldn't really matter that much to those for whom independence was of overriding importance.
  • Options

If the English are happy to countenance being potentially worse off but more in charge of their own destinies, why not the Scots?

That assertion is as yet unproven.

£350m a week extra for the NHS doesn't sound much like "potentially worse off"

When the true numbers are revealed, we will get a better sense of just how happy the English are with "sovereignty"
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    TOPPING said:

I think there will be too many sensible types nevertheless at whatever juncture however.
    Too many to prevent a second referendum, to too many for it to be won ?
  • Options

The substance of the point is right. If the SNP ever does achieve its mission, it might transform, it might fall apart or it might just gently wither but whichever, it woouldn't really matter that much to those for whom independence was of overriding importance.

c.f. UKIP
  • Options

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

My guess is that Sturgeon, Salmond et al did not join the SNP to further their careers.

No, they didn't. It'd be interesting to know how many machine-politician types who would have once joined Labour are now being attracted to the SNP simply on the basis of their hegemony in Scottish politics. It's too early to tell but there is a chance that that these types will dilute the independence drive if they come in in large numbers in the future.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Too many to prevent a second referendum, to too many for it to be won ?
    To be won.
  • Options

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Of course they didn't. But it has worked out rather well for them hasn't it?

The SNP are the establishment in Scotland now in the same way that SLAB used to be. Ask the newish Lord President of the Court of Session whether it is a good thing to be known to be an SNP supporter or not.
  • Options

Certainly they could, though I suspect that both the reality of Brexit (as opposed to the contentions being batted about beforehand), and the clearer figures on tax and income, would be harder to bat aside than their equivalents were in the EURef.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Trump is bringing Obama's half brother to the debate tonight! Does he know who he is campaigning against?
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    This strikes me as an article which simply talks up a non starter for an ulterior purpose - soft Brexit (or remaining in the Single market in perpetuity, until that becomes 'Associate membership).

The chances of Sturgeon calling indy ref 2 must be vanishingly low now, because while there is always going to be a certain amount of pain with constitutional upheaval, it has to be within an acceptable limit. Finding yourself adrift from both the EU and Sterling would be the perfect storm for Scotland. To join the EU from outside (for surely the Spanish and others would block any retention of membership), requires a currency, a move to a 3% deficit limit, and all with the object of joining the Euro, a currency which has proven itself a busted flush for all but a handful of nations.

So I see all this talk of Indy Ref 2 as nothing more than 'continuity remain' simply moving their tanks onto a different lawn.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited October 2016
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

The SNP are the establishment in Scotland now in the same way that SLAB used to be. Ask the newish Lord President of the Court of Session whether it is a good thing to be known to be an SNP supporter or not.

And it will be even better to be the Lord President in an independent country. The SNP will not go overnight, it will fade away as other parties appear or bounce back. I'd expect its experience to be very similar to Adolfo Suarez's UCD in Spain. It oversaw the transition to democracy, won the first election easily, the second just and had all but disappeared within 10 years as the Socialists and the Partido Popular became the mainstream.

• Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

David, at the last Scottish council elections, Labour won 31% of the vote. I've not seen any VI figures for councils but the Westminster VI is currently putting Labour in the mid-teens at best. Do you have any thoughts as to what losses on that kind of scale - up to three-quarters of their councillors, if the numbers won by the Tories in 2012 on 13% is a guide - might do to Scottish Labour?
  • Options
    TonyE said:

This strikes me as an article which simply talks up a non starter for an ulterior purpose - soft Brexit (or remaining in the Single market in perpetuity, until that becomes 'Associate membership).

The chances of Sturgeon calling indy ref 2 must be vanishingly low now, because while there is always going to be a certain amount of pain with constitutional upheaval, it has to be within an acceptable limit. Finding yourself adrift from both the EU and Sterling would be the perfect storm for Scotland. To join the EU from outside (for surely the Spanish and others would block any retention of membership), requires a currency, a move to a 3% deficit limit, and all with the object of joining the Euro, a currency which has proven itself a busted flush for all but a handful of nations.

So I see all this talk of Indy Ref 2 as nothing more than 'continuity remain' simply moving their tanks onto a different lawn.

I presume you agree that the SNP remains committed to independence. If so then when would be the optimal time to go for it again?

Perhaps when there is existing flux within the Union. Perhaps not when things become more settled.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

"Domination by Brussels" is perjorative and not a piece of analysis.

If you turn the question around and ask whether independence for Scotland is riskier with or without the EU, perhaps the answer starts to come into view?

And Brexit offers an Edinburgh inside the EU some big opportunities (assuming rUK actually leaves, rather than falls into panic as the union starts to disintegrate).
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Why did Mrs May agree to be photographed with two Scottish flags. She should have insisted one was the Union Jack .
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    F**k it. The Scots should do it and get on with it.
    The English need to wake up to the fact that brexit means break up of the UK. People don't realise that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And Brexit offers an Edinburgh inside the EU some big opportunities (assuming rUK actually leaves, rather than fall into panic if the union starts to disintegrate).

Not really.

If the UK leaves, and Scotland joins, with all that entails, then in 10 years Edinburgh might be able to compete with Frankfurt for some Euro business.

It would not compete with London, for anything.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    TOPPING said:

TonyE said:

I presume you agree that the SNP remains committed to independence. If so then when would be the optimal time to go for it again?

Perhaps when there is existing flux within the Union. Perhaps not when things become more settled.
    I think they are ideologically, but in truth it isn't going to happen for the very reasons it did not happen before.

IF there is going to be a moment when Indy ref 2 looms large, it will be once the deal is done with Brussels and we are out and therefore the joining of the EU is matter for Scotland alone as a new entrant. The SNP does not really want 'independence' - it wants subjugation into anything other than the Union - and the EU is a good enough alternative.
  • Options

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

David, at the last Scottish council elections, Labour won 31% of the vote. I've not seen any VI figures for councils but the Westminster VI is currently putting Labour in the mid-teens at best. Do you have any thoughts as to what losses on that kind of scale - up to three-quarters of their councillors, if the numbers won by the Tories in 2012 on 13% is a guide - might do to Scottish Labour?
    How long before the Tories get a majority at Holyrood? Presumably they will then wind it up :o
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

And it will be even better to be the Lord President in an independent country. The SNP will not go overnight, it will fade away as other parties appear or bounce back. I'd expect its experience to be very similar to Adolfo Suarez's UCD in Spain. It oversaw the transition to democracy, won the first election easily, the second just and had all but disappeared within 10 years as the Socialists and the Partido Popular became the mainstream.

Yeah, 10 years would be the absolute maximum lifespan for the SNP in an independent Scotland. It's a party filled with mutually irreconcilable political ideas united under the goal of independence.

Once the goal is achieved there is nothing to keep them together.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Brexit demonstrated that anything is possible, it also demonstrated that bad things can follow. A referendum campaign in the context of Brexit will be hard to predict. Better together will be narrower, weaker and more conflicted. Yes, will need it's answers to questions to be more robust
  • Options

Why did Mrs May agree to be photographed with two Scottish flags. She should have insisted one was the Union Jack .

Fear not. A Thatcher robot is well advanced, and will of course be immortal, so that we won't have to bother ourselves with polls, elections and referenda and all that stuff...

• Options
    IanB2 said:

"Domination by Brussels" is perjorative and not a piece of analysis.

If you turn the question around and ask whether independence for Scotland is riskier with or without the EU, perhaps the answer starts to come into view?

And Brexit offers an Edinburgh inside the EU some big opportunities (assuming rUK actually leaves, rather than fall into panic if the union starts to disintegrate).
    I don't think the question comes into view at all. (Well, it does but to me, it's the opposite of the one you imply).

If the UK leaves the EU then I'd have thought that an independent Scotland outside the EU was a far more attractive proposition to it than 'independence' within the EU. Both, however, are riskier than remaining within the UK.

And I stand by 'domination'. The EU is led by the big countries, the Commission and the ECJ. I suspect that those who complain about their budget having to be sent to London to be signed off like homework won't be impressed that much the same would apply once in the Eurozone.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

Not really.

If the UK leaves, and Scotland joins, with all that entails, then in 10 years Edinburgh might be able to compete with Frankfurt for some Euro business.

Financial services not moving. Language too big a barrier. Partnership between Dublin and London is what I expect.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

The Sunil did one yesterday;

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-nearest-run-thing/

:smiley:
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

Not really.

Financial services not moving. Language too big a barrier. Partnership between Dublin and London is what I expect.
    They speak English in Edinburgh, more or less.
  • Options
    F1: Lewis Hamilton is appearing in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

Apparently, this is not a joke.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Yeah, 10 years would be the absolute maximum lifespan for the SNP in an independent Scotland. It's a party filled with mutually irreconcilable political ideas united under the goal of independence.

Once the goal is achieved there is nothing to keep them together.
    It’s what happens to Nationalist parties. Sooner or later. Even the once monolithis ANC is now breaking apart.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Alistair said:

Trump is bringing Obama's half brother to the debate tonight! Does he know who he is campaigning against?

This is the Obama who said "Of course it helps in Ohio that the Democrats run the voting machines?"
  • Options
    Mr. B2, financial services will be difficult for Scotland, though, because of both the currency question and the issue of mostly domestic banks which will have a 92% or so non-Scottish customer base, who may prefer their money to be held by London-registered banks.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Great piece from Alastair - he is right Nicola should go for it. If I were a Scot, I would certainly vote Yes.

Nor is keeping Sterling the attraction for voting No that it once was, as it heads towards the status of a basket case currency post Brexit.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

This is the Obama who said "Of course it helps in Ohio that the Democrats run the voting machines?"
    Don't reps control Ohio (Kasich)?
  • Options

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

How long before the Tories get a majority at Holyrood? Presumably they will then wind it up :o
    You've never got the fact that the Tories have survived and prospered for over 200 years by accepting and adapting to change, have you? Sometimes we lead that change, sometimes we resist it, but once it's the settled will, we always work with it.

Ironically, the best chance of a Scottish Con government is post-independence.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Alistair Meeks is like many hard core Remainers. Having said and proclaimed that a Brexit vote would cause chaos and mayhem and having been proved wrong - at least in the short term - they now encourage any bit of chaos to happen.

It would be a good idea if all these Remoaners were transported to Greece to see what not having the guts to do a Grexit has done to that poor benighted country.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

Mr Soros - bum chum of the Clintons provides thousands of voting machines in the US. Honestly, a lot of 'conspiracy theories' seem to be coming true with Wikileaks. I'm genuinely shocked. I dismissed most of this stuff as paranoia. I thought Assange internet cutting was a PR stunt - nope.

Anyone handwaving away the idea that the MSM aren't in the tank with the DNC, that voter fraud isn't happening or things are basically okay isn't using their eyes. Comey at the FBI isn't neutral at all - the whole thing stinks - not trusting the FBI anymore?? Who can you go to when you meet a wall of collusion, pay for play and arse covering. No wonder why so many are going WTF right now.
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, so what would Scotland use?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Mr Soros - bum chum of the Clintons

What?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Because T. May is a bit more than a damp cloth; she is a wet rag, and for a rag to make a decision positive for England is a sort of agony.
This discussion has been closed.