Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Yes Witney saw a sharp decline in turnout compared with GE2015

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Yes Witney saw a sharp decline in turnout compared with GE2015 but it impacted on the parties differently

"undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper&&(window.datawrapper={"0IZCq":{}}),window.datawrapper["0IZCq"].embedDeltas={"100":871.8,"200":708.8,"300":653.8,"400":626.8,"500":599.8,"600":599.8,"700":599.8,"800":599.8,"900":599.8,"1000":572.8},window.datawrapper["0IZCq"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-0IZCq"),window.datawrapper["0IZCq"].iframe.style.height=window.datawrapper["0IZCq"].embedDeltas[Math.min(1e3,Math.max(100*Math.floor(window.datawrapper["0IZCq"].iframe.offsetWidth/100),100))]+"px",window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])"0IZCq"==b&&(window.datawrapper["0IZCq"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px")});

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    First like in the Lib Dem bar charts
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Second!
  • Options
    Second place is just the first place loser.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil
    If the EU can't do a free trade deal with Canada or the UK, what's the future of the Customs Union? It's depressing. https://twitter.com/pcol

I wish the EU well, but they need to raise their game.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Looks like the early voting from North Carolina is not as good for Clinton as it first seems, black turnout way down and white up bigly.

First day of in-person voting in NC in 2012:
    Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    Was today's 26% for Lab with YouGov their lowest share with any pollster for many years?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    That's a Lib Demtastic bar chart.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    There was a time when the liberals would have swept up a seat like this, but I suppose if you're starting from an impossibly low bar, coming a distant second is a triumph to some. Let's see how the numbers stack up at the next GE.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited October 2016

Second place is just the first place loser.

"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing."
    —Bill Shankly
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil
    If the EU can't do a free trade deal with Canada or the UK, what's the future of the Customs Union? It's depressing. https://twitter.com/pcol

The Walloons will be "encouraged". This is all theatrics, and Namur is playing games for domestic show. Is it such a bad thing that trade deals go through national parliaments? It's not efficient, but it is democratic, isn't it?
  • Options
    This is a big effort - 2 graphs - to prove a point about a no-change by-election.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    "The popular narrative about Bregret was that many Leave voters had not really expected to win and voted to Leave out of protest or just to give the political elite a bloody nose. We can look at this using our wave 8 (daily campaign) question “How likely do you think it is that the UK will vote to leave the EU?” with answers given from 0-100. The figure below shows that there is some truth in this interpretation. For Leave voters the chance of regret decreased from about one in ten for those that thought they were certain to lose, to about one in twenty five for those who expected to win. Overall, 8% of Leave voters who expected to lose regretted voting to Leave – 2% more than the overall figure for Leave voters. "

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-resources/brexit-britain-british-election-study-insights-from-the-post-eu-referendum-wave-of-the-bes-internet-panel/#.WApTRNj2bSe
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2016

This is a big effort - 2 graphs - to prove a point about a no-change by-election.

I guess throwing the kitchen sink at a mid term by election entitles the Lib Dems to some bragging rights, - but lets not forget it twas still 2nd place and imposible to match at a GE.
  • Options
    Sleazy Tories and Brexiters on the slide !
  • Options

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

The Walloons will be "encouraged". This is all theatrics, and Namur is playing games for domestic show. Is it such a bad thing that trade deals go through national parliaments? It's not efficient, but it is democratic, isn't it?
    Good. Arrangements with the UK could also be vetoed. We should start looking up the WTO rules.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2016
    What's going on at London city airport?

"Dozens treated and two in hospital after 'chemical incident' closes London City Airport"
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    So the non-Tory vote coalesced to a greater extent than 2015 around the LDs and a large part of the Tory vote stayed home for an unnecessary byelection caused by the resignation of a lying toerag.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

The Walloons are not a national parliament but even if it is more democratic, it is more in our control to make our own decisions with our own Parliament than a 34 faced pantomine horse.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

But Walloonia is a regional parliament. Yes it's democratic, but where does it end? Isle of Wight County Council getting a veto on the UK's trade agreements?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FPT rottenborough said:

"Or we may end up in same situation. Gone from Single Market and no way back in thanks to a veto from Ruritania."

Indeed, that is a non-trivial risk. But it would be hard for any European parliament to argue that the deal the UK would get would make us more competitive, and hence more of a threat to their way of life, than our previous arrangement. Doesn't mean they wouldn't try, but it would not be true.

Probably the biggest risk to any free trade deal post Brexit is where arbitration would be done. Clearly a deal between the EU and UK could/should not use the ECJ.

But all of the above does not, for me, add up to doom and gloom about Brexit, quite the contrary. If the EU has got to the stage where it is unable to deliver additional free trade deals, whereas the rest of the world continues to make new deals, the relative benefits of being inside the single market are much reduced.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Brexiters on the slide !

Leave 46.3%
    Con+UKIP 48.5%

Sliding upwards?
  • Options

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

But it is very bad for the EU's reputation as a good faith negotiating partner. I doubt others will be lining up to talk new deals unless the EU pulls this one back.
  • Options
    Ref charts above. Straw-clutching.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

But Walloonia is a regional parliament. Yes it's democratic, but where does it end? Isle of Wight County Council getting a veto on the UK's trade agreements?
    Why not? The City of London does.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Good. Arrangements with the UK could also be vetoed. We should start looking up the WTO rules.
    You mean the WTO schedules that need to be negotiated? With the EU. And 160 other states.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Why not? The City of London does.
    Post Brexit vote, I am not sure they are confident that they do.

Exhibit A, Mr Meeks' reaction.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    You couldn't make it up: a free trade deal between the EU and Canada has been scuppered by — wait for it — Wallonia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37731955
  • Options
    edited October 2016

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

The Walloons are not a national parliament but even if it is more democratic, it is more in our control to make our own decisions with our own Parliament than a 34 faced pantomine horse.
    But if you accept a single market as a good thing, you need a means of democratic accountability if it to sign new trade deals.

If not a 34 faced pantomime horse, as you call it, then some kind of supranational parliament is needed.

Brexiters can't moan about Westminster being passed over if they are also to complain about a multi-parliamentary process.

Unless you:
    A. are calling for no democratic oversight at all
    B. are calling for supranational oversight
    C. don't wish to have trade deals at all with our neighbours.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MTimT said:

But it is very bad for the EU's reputation as a good faith negotiating partner. I doubt others will be lining up to talk new deals unless the EU pulls this one back.

CETA and TTIP do demonstrate that whatever benefits the UK gets from single market membership being in the EU is not necessarily good for wider trade. A parliament representing 3 million Walloons is blocking a deal with Canada when they will do hardly any business with them, the UK on the other hand has far more to lose. There is definitely some upside to leaving the EU.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited October 2016
    I see the spokespeople for the Pointing At Potholes Party are enjoying their day.....
  • Options
    rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

There would be nothing to stop us requiring the Isle of Wight getting a veto. Each nation state has its own constitutional peculiarities. Presumably In Belgium trade is a devolved competence.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    AndyJS said:

You couldn't make it up: a free trade deal between the EU and Canada has been scuppered by — wait for it — Wallonia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37731955

Shhhh - you'll give Nicola Sturgeon ideas.......
  • Options
    glw said:

MTimT said:

CETA and TTIP do demonstrate that whatever benefits the UK gets from single market membership being in the EU is not necessarily good for wider trade. A parliament representing 3 million Walloons is blocking a deal with Canada when they will do hardly any business with them, the UK on the other hand has far more to lose. There is definitely some upside to leaving the EU.
    Indeed. The UK should IMO prioritize trade deals with the Old Commonwealth and the large agricultural exporters. Reducing the tariffs on food and commodities would go a long way to offsetting inflation due to the correction in sterling, particularly in relation to the impact on poorer families.

We should be wary about prioritizing the US, as I fear a US-UK deal might end up way too one-sided.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

You mean the WTO schedules that need to be negotiated? With the EU. And 160 other states.
    Quite. Joining the WTO is normally a very long process. Of all the blind assumptions of the Brexit mob, the idea that the worst case outcome in terms of trade after a hard Brexit is WTO status is perhaps the most dangerous. Brexit comes in still harder varieties.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Not really. The big advantage of the EU is that it is multilateral. If we have to deal with 28 separate European states where would be?

(Not an entirely rhetorical question -it's what's implied by the Brexit)
  • Options
    Very good from the PM:

The Prime Minister made clear that she will ignore EU leaders by attempting to strike trade deals around the world before the country formally leaves the EU. Brussels leaders have demanded that Britain does not try to do any deals before Brexit, which is expected in 2019.

However, Mrs May said on Friday: "The UK has long been one of the strongest advocates on Europe for free trade and will continue to be so.

"Indeed I want the UK to become more active not less in making the case for free trade around the world. That means that while we remain a member of the EU the UK will continue to back the EU's free trade negotiations.

"And as we prepare to leave the EU, I've been clear that the UK is discussing our future trading relationship with third countries.

"This will not undermine the EU's trade agenda. It is not in competition with it. We will continue to help the EU reach these important trade agreements. It is about seizing the opportunities of Brexit. About forging an ambitious and optimistic new role for Britain in the world."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/21/eu-is-impossible-to-do-deals-with-canada-says-sparking-fears-abo/
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Average of the last 4 opinion polls:

Con 43.5%
    Lab 27.3%
    UKIP 10.0%
    LD 8.0%
    Greens 4.5%

Baxtered: Con maj 112

http://bit.ly/2erI5yB
  • Options

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

But if you accept a single market as a good thing, you need a means of democratic accountability if it to sign new trade deals.

If not a 34 faced pantomime horse, as you call it, then some kind of supranational parliament is needed.

Brexiters can't moan about Westminster being passed over if they are also to complain about a multi-parliamentary process.

Unless you:

D. You believe it is possible for our Parliament and the Canadian Parliament to ratify a deal without requiring unrelated third parties like Walloons to be involved too.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Not really. The big advantage of the EU is that it is multilateral. If we have to deal with 28 separate European states where would be?

The EU doesn't disappear just because we leave, we deal with one EU Canada and the USA etc while confined within the EU we can't deal with anyone outside of it.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Unless you:

D. You believe it is possible for our Parliament and the Canadian Parliament to ratify a deal without requiring unrelated third parties like Walloons to be involved too.
    So that's a C then.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    nunu said:

Looks like the early voting from North Carolina is not as good for Clinton as it first seems, black turnout way down and white up bigly.

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

22% of the population of North Caroline is black. Therefore for 37% of the votes to be black suggests black differential turnout is high. Similarly 51% of the population is female. For female voters to be at 55% suggests higher female differential turnout. Along with the higher proportion of Democrat votes, that all suggests good for Clinton.
  • Options
    Rubio tied in FL.
    Rubio tied in a Florida poll for the first time since June
    http://opinionsavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/OS-FL-General-10.21.16.pdf
  • Options
    MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

22% of the population of North Caroline is black. Therefore for 37% of the votes to be black suggests black differential turnout is high. Similarly 51% of the population is female. For female voters to be at 55% suggests higher female differential turnout. Along with the higher proportion of Democrat votes, that all suggests good for Clinton.
    What are the 2016 figures?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

Except those are Obama 2012 figures.
  • Options

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

What are the 2016 figures?
    most recent figures are 2015 http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/37
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

FF43 said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Quite. Joining the WTO is normally a very long process. Of all the blind assumptions of the Brexit mob, the idea that the worst case outcome in terms of trade after a hard Brexit is WTO status is perhaps the most dangerous. Brexit comes in still harder varieties.
    There would be no accession process required for the UK as they are already a full member of the WTO...

After the UK leaves the EU they will remain a full member of the WTO.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

Was he previously behind or in front?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

Oh, silly me, I thought they were this year's. Completely misread.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National Tracker - Times-Picayune/Lucid - Sample 2,127 - 17-20 Oct

Clinton 45 .. Trump 38

https://luc.id/2016-presidential-tracker/

National - ARG - Sample 1,006 - 17-20 Oct

Clinton 49 .. Trump 42

Via 538
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

FF43 said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

There would be no accession process required for the UK as they are already a full member of the WTO...

That's not what the WTO says.

https://www.ft.com/content/745d0ea2-222d-11e6-9d4d-c11776a5124d
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

This years would be good to have to compare !
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    Dems have actually pulled resources from trying to beat him. Madness.
  • Options
    Florida - Opinion Savvy/Fox13 - Sample 538 - 20 Oct

Clinton 49 .. Trump 45

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    He was in a fight though!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

Oldnortstate.com is your friend: 67 white 28 black
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

FF43 said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Roberto Azevedo was misinterpreted.

The UK is a full member:

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/countries_e/united_kingdom_e.htm

It is also not possible to expel or suspend members so the UK will definitely remain a full member post Brexit.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    I wonder if any of the 2016 spankees of the GOP will run again in 2020 (Assuming HRC wins of course)
  • Options

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Unless you:

So that's a C then.
    No it's not. It's a statement that we can have a trade deal with Belgium without giving Walloons a veto on a separate and unrelated trade deal with Canada.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

Weren't the DEMs ahead on mail ballots though ?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    MTimT said:

Very good from the PM:

The Prime Minister made clear that she will ignore EU leaders by attempting to strike trade deals around the world before the country formally leaves the EU. Brussels leaders have demanded that Britain does not try to do any deals before Brexit, which is expected in 2019.

However, Mrs May said on Friday: "The UK has long been one of the strongest advocates on Europe for free trade and will continue to be so.

"Indeed I want the UK to become more active not less in making the case for free trade around the world. That means that while we remain a member of the EU the UK will continue to back the EU's free trade negotiations.

"And as we prepare to leave the EU, I've been clear that the UK is discussing our future trading relationship with third countries.

"This will not undermine the EU's trade agenda. It is not in competition with it. We will continue to help the EU reach these important trade agreements. It is about seizing the opportunities of Brexit. About forging an ambitious and optimistic new role for Britain in the world."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/21/eu-is-impossible-to-do-deals-with-canada-says-sparking-fears-abo/

But she also just said that the UK will participate fully in the EU till we leave. That won't work. The other members won't take kindly to having the UK in the room with them discussing EU trade if at the same time we're discussing unilateral trade agreements with other countries. So the other EU members will, quite rightly, exclude us from any discussions where they feel the position is compromised.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

MTimT said:

Very good from the PM:

But she also just said that the UK will participate fully in the EU till we leave. That won't work. The other members won't take kindly to having the UK in the room with them discussing EU trade if at the same time we're discussing unilateral trade agreements with other countries. So the other EU members will, quite rightly, exclude us from any discussions where they feel the position is compromised.
    Even after A50 is invoked, we remain full members of the EU with all the rights and obligations that entails. But if the rest of the EU wants to curtail our rights, I'm sure HMG would be happy to overlook our obligations...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

Link doesn't seem to work
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    I wonder if any of the 2016 spankees of the GOP will run again in 2020 (Assuming HRC wins of course)
    I think Cruz - I mean lyin' Ted - will. His brand of conservative Republicanism would look better by comparison, if Trump does badly.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Dadge said:

MTimT said:

Very good from the PM:

The UK will remain a paid up member of the EU until two years after article 50 is initiated. It is only right that the UK participates fully in all aspects of the EU until that time. – Whether other countries take kindly to that or not is irrelevant.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    I think Cruz - I mean lyin' Ted - will. His brand of conservative Republicanism would look better by comparison, if Trump does badly.
    With the Supreme Court most likely decided in the Democrats favour, I can see the square root of diddly squat turning out to re-elect Hillary so Lyin' Ted might have a chance if he runs tbh.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    With the Supreme Court most likely decided in the Democrats favour, I can see the square root of diddly squat turning out to re-elect Hillary so Lyin' Ted might have a chance if he runs tbh.
    Very few Americans *like* Hillary. Against David Cameron, she'd be Ed, but she's against Corbyn instead. They don't speak to competency, exactly, but personality.
  • Options
    Remembering Aberfan, 50 years ago today. It was the first time that I really didn't understand the news - how could a mountain move - and had to have my parents explain it to me.

Wonderful touching tribute at http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/queens-personal-message-people-aberfan-12061242
  • Options

Dadge said:

MTimT said:

Very good from the PM:

The UK will remain a paid up member of the EU until two years after article 50 is initiated. It is only right that the UK participates fully in all aspects of the EU until that time. – Whether other countries take kindly to that or not is irrelevant.
    And we'd be negotiating treaties to come into effect only after leaving the EU.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Jason said:

There was a time when the liberals would have swept up a seat like this, but I suppose if you're starting from an impossibly low bar, coming a distant second is a triumph to some. Let's see how the numbers stack up at the next GE.

The Tories are still enjoying a bonus from their years in Coalition, Mr Jason. They just need a little bit longer governing by themselves, and going from one disaster to another, and the Lib Dems will take any seat from them that you care to name.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    Very few Americans *like* Hillary. Against David Cameron, she'd be Ed, but she's against Corbyn instead. They don't speak to competency, exactly, but personality.
    It's too early to judge Hillary's Presidency. She could turn out to be a Gordon Brown who doesn't know what to do once she gets the job she's always coveted, but I have a feeling she won't be.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    PClipp said:

Jason said:

The Tories are still enjoying a bonus from their years in Coalition, Mr Jason. They just need a little bit longer governing by themselves, and going from one disaster to another, and the Lib Dems will take any seat from them that you care to name.
    Oh good grief. What a load of guff.

For example, look at Poole.

Tory vote of more tan 50%.

Libs slipped back from 2nd to 4th in 2010.

UKIP share of 16.8%, most of which will be going Tory next time.

I can confidently assert that LDs will not win Poole in either of our lifetimes...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    It's too early to judge Hillary's Presidency. She could turn out to be a Gordon Brown who doesn't know what to do once she gets the job she's always coveted, but I have a feeling she won't be.
    True, four years is a long time in politics...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    True, four years is a long time in politics...
    Thirty four is even longer.....
  • Options

Dadge said:

MTimT said:

Very good from the PM:

Do we really care if the EU members do not take kindly to us. We need to be bigger than that and it seems that Theresa May understands it and will not be submissive to the EU
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

4h
    Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn
    The first day of in-person early voting in North Carolina:
    Dem 52.7, Rep 24.3
    White 67, Black 27.8
    Female 55.1, Male 43.5
  • Options
    Georgia - Opinion Savvy/Fox5 - Sample 570 - 20 Oct

Clinton 46 .. Trump 50

http://opinionsavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/OS-GA-General-10.20.16.pdf
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Remembering Aberfan, 50 years ago today. It was the first time that I really didn't understand the news - how could a mountain move - and had to have my parents explain it to me.

Wonderful touching tribute at http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/queens-personal-message-people-aberfan-12061242

My wife and I remember it as if it was yesterday as my wife was expecting our first child and the pictures were horrific. Our eldest son was born in St Asaph, North Wales just 8 days later.
  • Options
    trolling charts...

genius
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    PClipp said:

Jason said:

It's unlikely the Lib Dems will feature in any Con/Lab marginal, or working class/lower middle class Con seats for a long while.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

4h
    Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn
    Dem 52.7, Rep 24.3
    White 67, Black 27.8
    Female 55.1, Male 43.5
    Dem -4.4 GOP -1.1Ind +5.5
    White +8.4 Black -9.2 Other (Asian I guess) +0.8
    Female +0.1 Male -0.5 Trans +0.4
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

The EU doesn't disappear just because we leave, we deal with one EU Canada and the USA etc while confined within the EU we can't deal with anyone outside of it.
    What I meant, but was in a rush to say it, is that Wallonia is acting like a brexiting Britain with the additional inconvenience to the EU of hanging around. If all 28 countries decide they would like to do things differently, or Brexit, Nexit, Frexit, Dexit etc, you end up with chaos. Multilateral is the sensible way to go.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

4h
    Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn
    Dem 52.7, Rep 24.3
    White 67, Black 27.8
    Female 55.1, Male 43.5
    Female/Male ratios unchanged.
    WE know that fewer registered Republicans are going to vote Trump, so although the demography has changed I am not sure the voter patterns have changed much. Of course Hillary was doing *better* in early voting, so there is a shift.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

4h
    Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn
    Dem 52.7, Rep 24.3
    White 67, Black 27.8
    Female 55.1, Male 43.5
    Senator Burr consistently polls better than Trump in the State. Those numbers may be encouraging for him, rather than Trump.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

What I meant, but was in a rush to say it, is that Wallonia is acting like a brexiting Britain with the additional inconvenience to the EU of hanging around. If all 28 countries decide they would like to do things differently, or Brexit, Nexit, Frexit, Dexit etc, you end up with chaos. Multilateral is the sensible way to go.
    If all 28 countries have to appeal to the lowest common denominator then you end up with this chaos.

Bilateral is the sensible way to go.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

I guess this is precisely why the EU is bringing in Majority voting. Can't have bloody Wallonia(*) scuppering the plans !

* I am 1/16th Walloon I think though ^^;
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

http://www.oldnorthstatepolitics.com/ phone auto-correct is a bitch.

Reps were up in 2016 Postal voting but massively down compared to their 2012 response rate.
  • Options
    I hope they finds the wankers responsible fro the DDOS on AnyDNS and give them a good slap.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

4h
    Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn
    Dem 52.7, Rep 24.3
    White 67, Black 27.8
    Female 55.1, Male 43.5
    Female/Male ratios unchanged.
    WE know that fewer registered Republicans are going to vote Trump, so although the demography has changed I am not sure the voter patterns have changed much. Of course Hillary was doing *better* in early voting, so there is a shift.
    Yes and Trump is doing worse with whites than Romney and much worse with college educated whites which north Carolina has more of.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2016
    MTimT said:

My friend's mother was a young teacher at the school and was in the building that day. I see her regularly.

Must be an extraordinary thing to have had to live with. My Gramp worked for the NCB and helped with the rescue operation - he was in his early thirties and my mother - at the time - was a similar age to the children who died.

He never said much about it but I know the people who were there were scarred forever by it. Unimaginable tragedy - if you ever visit the remembrance graveyard the names and ages of all those children are hard to take in.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

If all 28 countries have to appeal to the lowest common denominator then you end up with this chaos.

My brother, who knows more about these things than me, says that the Walloons might have a point, and points me to this article:

http://app.ft.com/cms/s/42b62d96-95de-11e6-a80e-bcd69f323a8b.html

Their objection is to the ISDS which allows corporates to sue governments for breach of treaty.

Given the rise of Trump, Farage, Le Pen et al - shouldn't we welcome an attempt to amend the less acceptable face of globalisation?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I hope they finds the wankers responsible fro the DDOS on AnyDNS and give them a good slap.

For a period there, we had a DOS, a Russian carrier in the Channel, AND a "chemical incident" at City Airport.

Perhaps good that Twitter went down; it could have been happy hour for tin foilers.
  • Options

Dadge said:

MTimT said:

Very good from the PM:

Even after A50 is invoked, we remain full members of the EU with all the rights and obligations that entails. But if the rest of the EU wants to curtail our rights, I'm sure HMG would be happy to overlook our obligations...
    But one of the obligations is not to do unilateral trade deals. Brexiters want to have their cake and eat it, but it ain't going to happen.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

My brother, who knows more about these things than me, says that the Walloons might have a point, and points me to this article:

Their objection is to the ISDS which allows corporates to sue governments for breach of treaty.

Given the rise of Trump, Farage, Le Pen et al - shouldn't we welcome an attempt to amend the less acceptable face of globalisation?
    The EU is an institution set up on the principle that an international treaty might need a properly empowered court to arbitrate!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

nunu said:

Dem 57.1, Rep 25.4
    White 58.6, Black 37.0
    Female 55.0 Male 44.0

http://www.oldnorthstatepolitics.com/ phone auto-correct is a bitch.

Reps were up in 2016 Postal voting but massively down compared to their 2012 response rate.
    Seems tricky to glean much, a bit of a wash I'd say - no obvious slam dunk for either candidate.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

FF43 said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Roberto Azevedo was misinterpreted.

The UK is a full member:

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/countries_e/united_kingdom_e.htm

It is also not possible to expel or suspend members so the UK will definitely remain a full member post Brexit.
    The UK is a member of the WTO but its schedules which set the tariffs and rules for trade are held by the EU. You qualify for membership of the WTO when all 160 members agree your schedules.When we leave the EU we will be in the anomalous situation of being a member but unqualified for membership because we don't have any independent schedules. In practice these will have to be negotiated from scratch. We'll need to wrap it up quickly with people who are already inside the club and who will certainly take advantage of our weak negotiating position. And it won't just be the EU driving a hard bargain.

To my mind this is a more fraught issue than our EU treaty.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Rubio tied in FL.

In front.
    Ted Cruz is an extremist candidate. He won't win, no matter the configuration of the Supreme Court.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Moses_ said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

They have a point.
This discussion has been closed.