Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Situation critical. How the NHS could affect the path of Brexi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Situation critical. How the NHS could affect the path of Brexit

The debate in Britain about health spending is fundamentally dishonest.  The left constantly press for large increases in spending.  The government constantly boasts about ever-increasing spending at or above inflation levels.  Voices on the right frequently argue for scaling back the health services that the public sector provides.  None of them address what Britain needs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,599
    First!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    We need to repeal the NHS and replace it with something that will be so much better.
  • Options
    On topic. Nice try Mr Meeks, but 'Your lies were worse than our lies' doesn't cut much ice. What Leavers (and Remainers who are reconciled to the result of a democratic vote) should be telling the public is How we should be leaving the EU, not fighting the last war, which Remain lost.....
  • Options
    On topic. Not sure Mr Meeks' headline is addressed in the article - how could an NHS Winter crisis affect the path of Brexit? No evidence - yet- that the two are connected in voters minds - much as Remoaners might wish it to be the case.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

How we should be leaving the EU

Using the same approach that Sweden is taking to joining the Euro.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Beyond pitiful.

Final degeneration into a laughing stock.

• Options

We need to repeal the NHS and replace it with something that will be so much better.

an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Surely the answer to needing more money for the NHS is to hurry up and get on with leaving the EU, so that we stop wasting money being sent to the unaccountable Brussels blob and can spend it on what we wish at home. Like health.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Surely the answer to needing more money for the NHS is to hurry up and get on with leaving the EU

Perhaps that's what Mr Meeks has in mind?

• Options

Sandpit said:

Surely the answer to needing more money for the NHS is to hurry up and get on with leaving the EU

Perhaps. But then again, perhaps not.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Perhaps. But then again, perhaps not.
    The last time I saw someone with so much invested in 'I told you so', but destined to be disappointed and ignored, the person involved was a teenager.

I wonder if we'll get an added helping of 'I've never liked you, anyway'?
  • Options
    Off Topic

Out of boredom with this thread, I've been checking how and from whom the LibDems are going to have to attract sufficient votes to have any real prospect of emerging as the winners in Richmond Park. Given Zac's enormous majority and his undoubted popularity it appears at first glance to be a daunting prospect. In order to win, the Yellow team must firstly hope for a huge wave of apathy against the Tories resulting in a halving or thereabouts of the turnout of 76.5% in 2015.
    One very surprising fact is the astonishing success of the Labour candidate in last year's General Election when their vote increased by a barely credible 145% from 2,979 in 2010 to 7,296. Surely there cannot be another constituency anywhere in the UK in which Labour scored such a stunning success, made all the more remarkable when one considers their dismal showing nationwide.
    It must surely be taken as read that the majority of these votes for the Red Team last year will be loaned to the LibDems in order to see off Mr Goldsmith.
    Come to think of it after a performance like that, perhaps the LibDems should consider selecting the clearly remarkable Sachin Patel as one of their own.
    This one aspect alone makes me feel very comfortable about having lumped onto the LibDems at odds of 6/4 as soon as Ladbrokes opened their market on this by-election.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    FFS another ranting, panic stricken were all doomed anti Brexit thread from Meeks. Didn't focus on any of the lies from Remain then?

You lost get over it ......you are not a toddler.
  • Options

Off Topic

Out of boredom with this thread, I've been checking how and from whom the LibDems are going to have to attract sufficient votes to have any real prospect of emerging as the winners in Richmond Park. Given Zac's enormous majority and his undoubted popularity it appears at first glance to be a daunting prospect. In order to win, the Yellow team must firstly hope for a huge wave of apathy against the Tories resulting in a halving or thereabouts of the turnout of 76.5% in 2015.
    One very surprising fact is the astonishing success of the Labour candidate in last year's General Election when their vote increased by a barely credible 145% from 2,979 in 2010 to 7,296. Surely there cannot be another constituency anywhere in the UK in which Labour scored such a stunning success, made all the more remarkable when one considers their dismal showing nationwide.
    It must surely be taken as read that the majority of these votes for the Red Team last year will be loaned to the LibDems in order to see off Mr Goldsmith.
    Come to think of it after a performance like that, perhaps the LibDems should consider selecting the clearly remarkable Sachin Patel as one of their own.
    This one aspect alone makes me feel very comfortable about having lumped onto the LibDems at odds of 6/4 as soon as Ladbrokes opened their market on this by-election.

Mr Tall appears conflicted - not sure (as with this thread) the headline & the article really match up:

http://stephentall.org/2016/10/25/heathrow-brexit-and-the-richmond-by-election-why-im-grateful-for-zac/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    Hasn't this discussion got off on the wrong foot, by concentrating on our understanding and our expectations?

The point Alastair is trying to raise, I suggest, concerns the expectations of the average rather-less-informed typical voter in the street. The person who won't have studied the detail and followed every twist and turn, but will certainly remember (and be reminded, by those it suits) for years to come, that after Brexit there was supposed to be a lot more money for the NHS. And who, therefore, might well react particularly badly to a future NHS financial crisis.

This is I suggest a subset of the wider issue that hasn't yet hit British politics of whether Brexit has gone badly or well. We, of course, are sick of this already, as we have been practising since June 24th by analysing the colour of very cat that has crossed our path. The British public, being more sensible, realises the time for the debate is after Brexit not before, and when there is a good reason such as an actual election.

Nevertheless, just as 2010 focused endlessly upon the financial crisis and who was to blame, the 'outcome of Brexit' will loom large over the election of 2020 (and probably 2025). The NHS will be a big part of that,
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    Leaving the EU angle aside for a minute, maybe my expectations are twisted by too long working in tech but how fast is the amount of extra healthcare needed increasing each year, and how fast is productivity (healthcare provided per pound spent) increasing? If you can make the second number bigger than the first number you won't need to spend any more, unless you want to.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    So Leavers should be thinking right now what they’re going to be telling the public if the NHS does go through a rough patch this winter. The NHS’s problems could rapidly become their own.
    They have an answer to that. Foreigners.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nevertheless, just as 2010 focused endlessly upon the financial crisis and who was to blame, the 'outcome of Brexit' will loom large over the election of 2020 (and probably 2025). The NHS will be a big part of that,

And as John Rentoul pointed out, the whipping boy des nos jours, the EU - will get the blame

- we do well - 'See! We were right to vote to leave'
    - we do badly - 'See! The EU shafted us! We were right to vote to leave!

One thing that is not going to happen is the Great British Public are going to go turn around and say

'If only we had listened to our betters, such as Mr Meeks, who has ceaselessly been pointing out our mean-minded nationalistic xenophobic stupidity for the last many years...'
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited October 2016

They have an answer to that. Foreigners.

fake over 75 child refugees assaulting NHS staff
  • Options

Leaving the EU angle aside for a minute, maybe my expectations are twisted by too long working in tech but how fast is the amount of extra healthcare needed increasing each year, and how fast is productivity (healthcare provided per pound spent) increasing? If you can make the second number bigger than the first number you won't need to spend any more, unless you want to.

Healthcare inflation is high, as we live longer and are kept alive by an ever increasing number of complex and expensive treatments.

Although since 2010 there has been a drive to reduce admin costs and spend the money on the front line, there is still as much bureaucracy as expected in an organisation with a £100bn budget.

Significant cost savings will only be realised when the scope of NHS provision is reduced, either by restricting what treatment is available, more integration with social care, or by encouraging outside provision such as private insurance.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited October 2016

There's an argument for a proper independent Royal Commission to look at structures but there are too many vested interests and political favours owing for that to ever happen
  • Options
    I see Spain is getting it in the neck for its support for Russia from not a colony, nothing like Gibraltar at all Ceuta:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/26/spain-russian-warships-refuel-aleppo-bombing-ceuta-syria
  • Options

an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is....
    I know precisely what that advantage was! 2 houses and a rather nice garden. We're still spending the proceeds of our rather satisfactory speculation...
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

FFS another ranting, panic stricken were all doomed anti Brexit thread from Meeks. Didn't focus on any of the lies from Remain then?

Is this article a toddler tantrum or teenage rant? A shame as there is a useful article about Nhs choices buried under the blinkered conclusions.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

We have the wrong hospitals, in the wrong places, staffed by the wrong people and using the wrong equipment.

Is it any wonder that productivity is dreadful?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The 350,000,000 a week for the NHS was the most iconic symbol of the referendum and it was most closely associated with Boris. It was clear way before the vote that this figure was bogus but that wont stop the irredeemably ignorant from wanting to take revenge when the NHS reaches cash starved crisis point as it always does.

The only thing to look forward to in the calamitous decision to leave te EU is witnessing the slow lingering political death of the leading Tories-particularly Johnson-who were rsponsible for it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Moses_ said:

Is this article a toddler tantrum or teenage rant? A shame as there is a useful article about Nhs choices buried under the blinkered conclusions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9QEAtcz3o8

Right to the end
    Just like a friend
    I tried to warn you somehow
    You had your way
    Now you must pay
    I'm glad that you're sorry now
  • Options

most of the ranting seems to be in the comments
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Charles said:

We have the wrong hospitals, in the wrong places, staffed by the wrong people and using the wrong equipment.

care for dementia sufferers is never really going to become "productive" though, is it, even with promising drugs in the pipeline and so on?
  • Options
    From the Guardian: "The worsening economic outlook could leave Philip Hammond facing a black hole of more than £80bn when he lays out the government’s spending plans next month."

"The Resolution Foundation thinktank warned the chancellor that lower tax receipts and higher spending following the Brexit vote would leave the Treasury with a shortfall in every year until 2020-21. It said a widening gap would open up between income and expenditure to leave a £23bn deficit at the end of the parliament, forcing the government to find savings or allow extra borrowing amounting to a cumulative £84bn to balance the books over the next five years."

An internal briefing document for ministers, marked “sensitive”, revealed that the government was “unlikely to bring deficit reduction entirely back on track” and that the “continuing run of disappointing data” meant there was a “severe worsening in the public finances”
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

The 350,000,000 a week for the NHS was the most iconic symbol of the referendum and it was most closely associated with Boris. It was clear way before the vote that this figure was bogus but that wont stop the irredeemably ignorant from wanting to take revenge when the NHS reaches cash starved crisis point as it always does.

The only thing to look forward to in the calamitous decision to leave te EU is witnessing the slow lingering political death of the leading Tories-particularly Johnson-who were rsponsible for it.

I don't think anyone with a brain actually believed the NHS was going to benefit by 350 million a week. It was a lie from the moment it was imparted by the leave campaign.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
  • Options

Charles said:

care for dementia sufferers is never really going to become "productive" though, is it, even with promising drugs in the pipeline and so on?
    Productive in this sense being giving them suitably high levels of care at an affordable price. In my view that's better done outside of a DGH.

But don't despair on neurodegeneration. I was on the phone last night with the CEO of what I think is one of the most exciting companies in the space. Trend is towards focusing on mild and prodromal patients: i.e. delaying the development of the disease. That has real potential as if you can delay the onset of degeneration (I've heard speculation that up to 20 years may be achievable) with a monthly injection you're basically solving the problem.

Prevention is so much better than cute.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Productive in this sense being giving them suitably high levels of care at an affordable price. In my view that's better done outside of a DGH.

But don't despair on neurodegeneration. I was on the phone last night with the CEO of what I think is one of the most exciting companies in the space. Trend is towards focusing on mild and prodromal patients: i.e. delaying the development of the disease. That has real potential as if you can delay the onset of degeneration (I've heard speculation that up to 20 years may be achievable) with a monthly injection you're basically solving the problem.

You truly are the PB hobnobber extraordinaire! :D
  • Options

Roger said:

I don't think anyone with a brain actually believed the NHS was going to benefit by 350 million a week. It was a lie from the moment it was imparted by the leave campaign.
    I was in favour of leaving the EU, but that background poster was a bloody stupid idea. What was written on the bus was ambiguous and standard political discourse, that poster is much more specific and a hostage to fortune.

As @Charles makes clear below, there comes a point where just throwing more money at the existing NHS structure is counter productive, but another reorganisation isn't going to win any votes.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Charles said:

"In my view that's better done outside of a DGH." It seems obvious doesn't it? The chances of the country having a grown up discussion about it seem slim though.

[edit didn't someone talk about integrating health and social care around the time of the GE? can't remember who. maybe memory is impaired after all]

I'm with you on the Royal commission, perhaps something that Blair could have pulled off at the height of his popularity. Maybe the chance has been missed now.

Sounds promising on the drugs. Hope in will be in time for me! (I'm not demented yet, as far as I know)
  • Options
    I think Alistair's analysis of the political variables is spot on. The " Signature Policy " of the Leave Campaign was the £350m pw for the NHS. It was as much a signature policy for Leave as Tuition Fees were for the Lib Dems. I'd suggest the £350m was also like Tuition Fees in another regard. It was written as a campaign slogan not a serious policy on the assumption a populist outfit would never win and be able to put it into practice. That they did win and will now be found out n the way the Lib Dems were is a perfectly valid subject for a thread header.

Of course there are a number of problems with this but we should unpick them rather than being rude about Alistair. Firstly Leave no longer exists and will never fight another election so they won't suffer the Lib Dems fate. Though the current government has completely own Brexit and prominent Leavers serve in it. Secondly while the extra £350m will never happen the Lib Dems not only failed to abolish Tuition Fees - they trebled them. No one is suggesting the NHS budget will be cut by £350m pw by Brexit. Thirdly the interplay between the NHS budget and service outcomes is long term and gradual. On it's current course the NHS will never collapse. It will just keep getting mildly worse week on week. It's like the proverbial lobster being slowly boiled alive. There will be no Tuition Fee betrayal ' moment ' to focus things.

Broadly the two overlapping but distinct populist, Xenophobic, sophisticated but vile big fat lies the Leave Campaign told - that the state of the NHS was foreigners fault - was British politics going momentarily off balance. When people are very drunk they think they can fly. Over the next few years we'll sober up. The policy choices on the NHS and the NHS' problems will still be there and it unsolved.

None of this means Brexit will become less popular ( though it might ), we could just keep on drinking and blame Foreigners some more ( as Edmund suggests - worth debating ) but whether post Truth campaigns like Leave are subsequently debunked or become normative is a seminal point for British politics. Worthy of a thread on PB. Of course a vocal minority of ( it seems increasingly insecure and jittery ) Leavers on here will try and shout the issue down. But this is just a microcosm of the thread's macrocosm.

British politics didn't stop on the 23rd of June. Brexit is a process not an event. It's a highly dynamic situation. We need to debate and disagree about the values in Alistair's equation or daft a different equation. Not argue there is no equation or that it's 2 + 2 = 4 and anyone who says otherwise doesn't believe in Maths.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

A company I know had some interesting tech in the medical space. It proved impossible to work with the NHS to roll it out: the amount of inertia against new technology, and even trials thereof, was amazing.

I've no problem with demands for safety and security with the tech; that wasn't the problem. The problem was that each hospital was a series of personal fiefdoms, each of whom demanded their own conditions.

In contrast, in the US it took a few meetings to agree everything per hospital.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You truly are the PB hobnobber extraordinaire! :D
    That's what they pay me for!

(She 's actually a friend of mine but "CEO of neurodegeneration company" sounded better in this context!)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Charles said:

If you could just write down where all services need to be and send it to Simon Stevens...
  • Options

Charles said:

"In my view that's better done outside of a DGH." It seems obvious doesn't it? The chances of the country having a grown up discussion about it seem slim though.

[edit didn't someone talk about integrating health and social care around the time of the GE? can't remember who. maybe memory is impaired after all]

I'm with you on the Royal commission, perhaps something that Blair could have pulled off at the height of his popularity. Maybe the chance has been missed now.

Sounds promising on the drugs. Hope in will be in time for me! (I'm not demented yet, as far as I know)
    United Neuroscience
  • Options
    On Topic the NHS imports in Pounds. The cost to it of the Brexit devaluation will be worked out eventually. It's tiny in it's self but if the Brexit devaluation persists and we have 12 months of Brexit inflation it's another cost pressure to add to the pile.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Edited.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Healthcare inflation is high, as we live longer and are kept alive by an ever increasing number of complex and expensive treatments.

Although since 2010 there has been a drive to reduce admin costs and spend the money on the front line, there is still as much bureaucracy as expected in an organisation with a £100bn budget.

Significant cost savings will only be realised when the scope of NHS provision is reduced, either by restricting what treatment is available, more integration with social care, or by encouraging outside provision such as private insurance.
    I agree. Most of the budget is staffing costs and most of that is clinicians.

Further long term servings are on their way when CCGs delegate most of their responsibilities to STP regional organisations which will probably happen gradually over two years.

Ultimately healthcare needs to move to a more educational model, but that requires people to take responsibility for their health, which is not helped by a system where A&E will bail you out for free whatever your behaviours.

For my part, I think it'd be easier to just fund it properly
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Christ on a bike more Remithering

Next!
  • Options

A company I know had some interesting tech in the medical space. It proved impossible to work with the NHS to roll it out: the amount of inertia against new technology, and even trials thereof, was amazing.

I've no problem with demands for safety and security with the tech; that wasn't the problem. The problem was that each hospital was a series of personal fiefdoms, each of whom demanded their own conditions.

But, "competition" and "choice"!
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I think Alistair's analysis of the political variables is spot on. The " Signature Policy " of the Leave Campaign was the £350m pw for the NHS. (snip)

Though the current government has completely own Brexit and prominent Leavers serve in it. Secondly while the extra £350m will never happen the Lib Dems not only failed to abolish Tuition Fees - they trebled them. (Snip)

None of this means Brexit will become less popular ( though it might ), we could just keep on drinking and blame Foreigners some more ( as Edmund suggests - worth debating ) but whether post Truth campaigns like Leave are subsequently debunked or become normative is a seminal point for British politics. Worthy of a thread on PB. Of course a vocal minority of ( it seems increasingly insecure and jittery ) Leavers on here will try and shout the issue down. But this is just a microcosm of the thread's macrocosm.

British politics didn't stop on the 23rd of June. Brexit is a process not an event. It's a highly dynamic situation. We need to debate and disagree about the values in Alistair's equation or daft a different equation. Not argue there is no equation or that it's 2 + 2 = 4 and anyone who says otherwise doesn't believe in Maths.

Just for the record, your view on tuition fees is simplistic (aka wrong) - what the LibDems achieved, by tinkering with the detail of the repayment arrangements, was to produce a revision that actually reduced the amount the typical student will pay, within the context of a scheme with a higher maximum. As Martin Lewis has repeatedly argued, the new scheme is in the round better than the old for most students, and much closer to the graduate tax the LibDems were looking at as an alternative. Of course the LibDems didn't get credit for this and of course it was not what was promised, but "LibDems trebled fees" is simply wrong.

On topic, the problem with Alastair's article is the headline - this is not a 'risk for Brexit' (except to how it is viewed in retrospect) but for the Tories, who are now tied securely to the Brexit raft. CV's assertion that the EU can be blamed for a bad outcome isn't going to wash.

Given the campaign, whichever side won the referendum was going to face trouble, and we can all surely imagine the leavers making the most of every negative story and indicator about the EU for years to come, had the outcome been the opposite. Taking the flak for the outcome, and the promises not kept, is however the victor's privilege, and as far as UK politics is concerned Leave now equals Tory for the foreseeable.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Charles said:

If you could just write down where all services need to be and send it to Simon Stevens...
    I've done before. But it's politically impossible. DGH is a centralised approach which was fine when people didn't live that long.

These days the requirements for chronic (long term care close to home, much closer to nursing than doctoring) acute (centres of excellence with highly skilled KOLs) and A&E (rapid intervention and effective triage) are all very different. They need different facilities in different places. But as the Irishman once said: "Going to Dublin? Well, I wouldn't start from here if I was you"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

No one is suggesting the NHS budget will be cut by £350m pw by Brexit.

Probably true, except
    IanB2 said:

From the Guardian: "The worsening economic outlook could leave Philip Hammond facing a black hole of more than £80bn when he lays out the government’s spending plans next month.

If the public finances are significantly worse (which in the short term looks inevitable) and that is attributed to Brexit, there is a plausible causal link between Brexit and "reduced"* NHS funding

*reduced in this context means not increased at the rate expected or necessary to cope with increased demand

Of course, as the Leave advert showed us, when we return all the foreigners the NHS waiting rooms will be empty and the service will be much improved...
  • Options
    Also on topic the focus todate has been on the Brexit Devaluation and subsequent Brexit inflation. It's still too early to tell but the evidence mounts we'll have an economic slow down with weakening of tax receipts for a while. This will lead to a Brexit Deficit. As with any deficit the Brexit Deficit can be addressed by Brexit Debt, Brexit Taxes or Brexit Cuts.

The UK has socialised healthcare paid for almost entirely from Government spending. The NHS budget will clearly be effected by the Brexit Devaluation and Brexit Inflation and any potential Brexit Cuts to come. Or the NHS budget can be protected by Brexit Taxes or more Brexit Debt.

The thing is the Leave Campaign was absolutely, totally and completely *right*.

The NHS is a national religion, under huge budget pressure and it's funding is clearly linked to our EU membership. The Leave Campaign were right in their framing of the issue and they won. The question now is whether it's a pyrric victory.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No one is suggesting the NHS budget will be cut by £350m pw by Brexit.

Probably true, except
    IanB2 said:

From the Guardian: "The worsening economic outlook could leave Philip Hammond facing a black hole of more than £80bn when he lays out the government’s spending plans next month.

If the public finances are significantly worse (which in the short term looks inevitable) and that is attributed to Brexit, there is a plausible causal link between Brexit and "reduced"* NHS funding

*reduced in this context means not increased at the rate expected or necessary to cope with increased demand

Of course, as the Leave advert showed us, when we return all the foreigners the NHS waiting rooms will be empty and the service will be much improved...
    Yes. See my following post.
  • Options

Also on topic the focus todate has been on the Brexit Devaluation and subsequent Brexit inflation. It's still too early to tell but the evidence mounts we'll have an economic slow down with weakening of tax receipts for a while. This will lead to a Brexit Deficit. As with any deficit the Brexit Deficit can be addressed by Brexit Debt, Brexit Taxes or Brexit Cuts.

The UK has socialised healthcare paid for almost entirely from Government spending. The NHS budget will clearly be effected by the Brexit Devaluation and Brexit Inflation and any potential Brexit Cuts to come. Or the NHS budget can be protected by Brexit Taxes or more Brexit Debt.

The thing is the Leave Campaign was absolutely, totally and completely *right*.

The NHS is a national religion, under huge budget pressure and it's funding is clearly linked to our EU membership. The Leave Campaign were right in their framing of the issue and they won. The question now is whether it's a pyrric victory.

And how much of the drugs and medical equipment etc that the NHS buys comes from overseas, priced in € or $?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited October 2016
    Mr Meeks comes up with another stick to beat us Leavers with, this time the NHS.

The NHS was on a course for eventual meltdown no matter how much money was/is being thrown at it. It's model, circa 1948, is decades out of date, but the political class has over the years built it into the conscience of the nation as a magic healing tree and now dare not touch it, being the cowards they are.

Perhaps Mr Meeks and his fellow Remainers will come up with a plan to save the NHS while still being tied to the the EU pudding. You never know!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Mr Meeks comes up with another stick to beat us Leavers with, this time the NHS.

The NHS was on a course for eventual meltdown no matter how much money was/is being thrown at it. It's model, circa 1948, is decades out of date, but the political class has over the years built it into the conscious of the nation as a magic healing tree and now dare not touch it, being the cowards they are.

Perhaps Mr Meeks and his fellow Remainers will come up with a plan to save the NHS while still being tied to the the EU pudding. You never know!

We don't need to, victor's privilege as I said below.

I want to be treated by the health service in that leave video. It looked really good, and everyone was so friendly and helpful.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Lest we forget. Three minutes that will live in infamy for generations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07d6f8y/eu-referendum-campaign-broadcasts-vote-leave-23052016
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Yes, we have an ageing population. We also have a fattening population. Type 2 diabetes is also putting pressure on the NHS.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

On topic. Nice try Mr Meeks, but 'Your lies were worse than our lies' doesn't cut much ice. What Leavers (and Remainers who are reconciled to the result of a democratic vote) should be telling the public is How we should be leaving the EU, not fighting the last war, which Remain lost.....

A good try, Ms Vance, spreading the blame round equally between the two sides. But the fact is, as we keep on being reminded, the Leave side won - so it is their lies that are the relevant ones.

This matters in party political terms, of course, because both sides were headed by leading Conservative politicians. It`s the Tories who will get the blame. They can`t just wriggle out of it.
  • Options
    @IanB2 Sorry but that's cobblers. We ( as it then was ) fought a Campaign on abolitionist Tuition Fees over 6 years. We buttressed that with ' signed pledges ' to vote against increases. Then when won we entered a government which took an early decision to *Treble* Fees. It wasn't just any Here today, Gone Tomorrow betrayal with which politics is littered. It was a signature policy, betrayed early in the first time in power in living memory, betrayed totally not just by not keeping the minimalist pledge, not just by not keeping the minimalist pledge but by doing the exact opposite of the maximalist pledge.

It was in short deliberate and in a curious way skilful creation of a Prism through which the Lib Dems would seen. All else refracted through it afterwards. It was a Ratnering of the Lib Dem brand that Gerald could only dream off.

Your blathering on with facts and arguments that the policy introduced had considerable merit is laughable. Thanks is politics. What have facts got to do with it ? It was about Trust, Branding, Prisms and High Politics. Clegg and the Lib Dems got what they deserved.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Lest we forget. Three minutes that will go down in infamy for generations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07d6f8y/eu-referendum-campaign-broadcasts-vote-leave-23052016

May 23rd, 2016. A date which will live in infamy!
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Reported conversation yesterday with a senior Tory (who was very busy with media interviews about the Heathrow decision, hint hint).

Apparently he's unsure whether the Sphinx does in fact have a secret, even though he's a close acquaintance from before she was married. A prominent Leaver, he's not at all reassured by her performance to date.
  • Options

@IanB2 Sorry but that's cobblers. We ( as it then was ) fought a Campaign on abolitionist Tuition Fees over 6 years. We buttressed that with ' signed pledges ' to vote against increases. Then when won we entered a government which took an early decision to *Treble* Fees. It wasn't just any Here today, Gone Tomorrow betrayal with which politics is littered. It was a signature policy, betrayed early in the first time in power in living memory, betrayed totally not just by not keeping the minimalist pledge, not just by not keeping the minimalist pledge but by doing the exact opposite of the maximalist pledge.

It was in short deliberate and in a curious way skilful creation of a Prism through which the Lib Dems would seen. All else refracted through it afterwards. It was a Ratnering of the Lib Dem brand that Gerald could only dream off.

Your blathering on with facts and arguments that the policy introduced had considerable merit is laughable. Thanks is politics. What have facts got to do with it ? It was about Trust, Branding, Prisms and High Politics. Clegg and the Lib Dems got what they deserved.

The only bits I disagree with in your post are the facts, not the politics. As I thought I has made clear.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes
  • Options

Reported conversation yesterday with a senior Tory (who was very busy with media interviews about the Heathrow decision, hint hint).

Apparently he's unsure whether the Sphinx does in fact have a secret, even though he's a close acquaintance from before she was married. A prominent Leaver, he's not at all reassured by her performance to date.

Does a Sphinx need a secret in order to be successful?
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    IanB2 said:

She needs a successful plan. See the problem?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    Latest RealClearPolitics polling average — Clinton leads by 5 points, 48% to 43%. Not very convincing, given everything that's happened recently:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,197
    Thank goodness we had a government tough enough to enforce the new junior doctors contract eh?

I am less pessimistic about NHS spending in the medium term. As Alastair points out a disproportionate share of healthcare spending is currently spent on people over 75. A large number of these suffer from dementia which requires them to have 24 hour nursing care. Good quality care means they can live a long time.

As Charles and others point out there are considerable signs of hope in at least the stopping of the onset of dementia if not (yet) its cure. Similarly, there are remarkable advances, not least in Dundee, in the use of photobiology to treat cancers. Some of the treatments involve painting the relevant areas and exposing to sunlight. Whilst it has historically been true that spending on health has risen faster than spending overall this is not immutable and breakthroughs in a few key areas could have a big and positive impact.

In the short run I fear some sort of crisis is inevitable. Whether it has any connection in the public mind with Brexit or not only time will tell. An announced increase in spending to deal with current deficits in the Autumn Statement is inevitable but may well prove to be insufficient.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2016

Surely the Sphinx's secret is she knows all too well what Brexit means but feels she has to say the opposite in public as her place in history to limit the damage. It all goes back to the Sphinx's non verbals just after her one hour meeting with Obama at the G20. The Sphinx was reminded what Brexit means and it was her worst fears. Now that the Illuminati/NWO order candidate is going to win the White House things will at least be stable but no better.

I felt genuinely sorry for the Sphinx and was enormously grateful to her for carrying the can for the good of the nation. I wished her well.

Until that conference speech.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Latest RealClearPolitics polling average — Clinton leads by 5 points, 48% to 43%. Not very convincing, given everything that's happened recently:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Trump has certainly stopped the rot for now, peak Clinton (at least temporarily) was a few days ago according to that tracker.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I feel that Clinton's lead is self limiting. People can bring themselves to vote for her if there is thought to be a real risk of the alternative which is even worse but they do so with a sense of self loathing. If she looks likely to win easily then people think that they don't have to bother and can feel clean. Conversely, if the polling gets closer they will. 5% looks about the balancing point.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Freggles said:

Charles said:

I've done before. But it's politically impossible. DGH is a centralised approach which was fine when people didn't live that long.

These days the requirements for chronic (long term care close to home, much closer to nursing than doctoring) acute (centres of excellence with highly skilled KOLs) and A&E (rapid intervention and effective triage) are all very different. They need different facilities in different places. But as the Irishman once said: "Going to Dublin? Well, I wouldn't start from here if I was you"
    Sounds very much like what many areas are going to do. My area is looking to reduce numbers of A&e, use one hospital as a social elective care centre, and pull more services into "hubs" in "the community"
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Lilly Cohen takes her son to the psychiatrist.

"I'm sorry to tell you Mrs Cohen but your son has an oedipus complex"

"Oedipus shmoedipus...... just as long as hes a good boy who loves his mother"
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,009

Also the failure to make clear that the only way the LDs would be in power was to be a junior part of a coalition and therefore all policies would be open to negotiation.
  • Options

Apparently he's unsure whether the Sphinx does in fact have a secret, even though he's a close acquaintance from before she was married.

Wonder who this is then......not many MPs were direct contemporaries of Mrs May at Oxford (Green, Duncan, Turner, Grieve.....the latter certainly not close...) I think that's about it.....
  • Options
    edited October 2016

IanB2 said:

She needs a successful plan. See the problem?
    Yes. Although I suppose the alternative would be to remain inscrutable, hope for the best, and if things don't turn out too badly, drop a few hints that the plan was whatever has actually transpired.

Hasn't done her too much harm so far. And when was the last PM who left office as a hero? Departure after failure is pretty much guaranteed, plan or no. So it is only a matter of time.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

I feel that Clinton's lead is self limiting. People can bring themselves to vote for her if there is thought to be a real risk of the alternative which is even worse but they do so with a sense of self loathing. If she looks likely to win easily then people think that they don't have to bother and can feel clean. Conversely, if the polling gets closer they will. 5% looks about the balancing point.
    depends on the poll, but a 5% lead is pretty much an early night win for Clinton anyway.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Charles said:

Freggles said:

Charles said:

Sounds very much like what many areas are going to do. My area is looking to reduce numbers of A&e, use one hospital as a social elective care centre, and pull more services into "hubs" in "the community"
    I'd like to see smaller triage hubs in a retail setting with ability to send people home with a plaster and a paracetamol or to send them to an acute hospital.

Using a hospital as social elective care could work although I syspect it's the wrong design. I'd rather go back to smaller local convalesence homes. But it's an interesting idea

Pharmacies should also used much more than they are and more aggressively co- located with GPs and other outpatient facilities.

But the problem is if you suggest "closing a&e" people start screaming before they even think about whether it's the right thing to do to improve patient care
  • Options
    619 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

depends on the poll, but a 5% lead is pretty much an early night win for Clinton anyway.
    Yep, although it was at 7% a week ago (probably peak disaster Trump time!)
  • Options
    619 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Precisely. Her only risk is that people leave the deeply unpleasant task of voting for the second worst candidate in history to someone else. No wonder she is working so hard on early voting.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Charles said:

But the problem is if you suggest "closing a&e" people start screaming before they even think about whether it's the right thing to do to improve patient care

That is true of literally any proposed change to the NHS.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

It had nothing to do with those two things. But well done in having the point fly merrily over your head!
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    There is little doubt in my mind that a) leaving the EU will cause massive financial pain far in excess of the £4300 per household figure quoted, and b) someone else (the EU, remainers) will be blamed for the collapse of the NHS.

• Options

Freggles said:

It had nothing to do with those two things. But well done in having the point fly merrily over your head!
    Trying to centralise and manage everything from the centre isn't usually way to maximise the efficiency of a large organisation, however? And the cost inefficiency of healthcare in the US is notorious.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Certainly in my anecdata before the referendum (overheard conversations with patients in particular) the two big factors were immigration and the extra money for the NHS. Obviously my workplace is biased this way, but nonethess it was significant.

The voters of Leaverstan were typically older, poorer, and less able to access private resources to fund their health and social care than the voters of Remania. They want an old style welfare state as part of their socially conservative Britain. May and Hammond are going to have to find the money.

Alaistair is not exagerrating the stress on the system, indeed he understates it. Last Tuesday there were 20 ambulances in the forecourt at Leicester Royal Infirmary with patients in the back, unable to offload as there was no space or beds in our main hospital. This is a weekly event happenning up and down the land.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Also the failure to make clear that the only way the LDs would be in power was to be a junior part of a coalition and therefore all policies would be open to negotiation.
    In fact Nick Clegg said just that in almost those words, afterwards. Of course, it makes things worse by saying explicitly that no future LibDem campaign or manifesto pledge is worth the paper it is written on.

• Options

Charles said:

Was the plan not to do the sort of triage Charles describes over the phone (111) or online (NHS Direct)? Then you go buy the plaster or painkillers from the chemist yourself.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

619 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Precisely. Her only risk is that people leave the deeply unpleasant task of voting for the second worst candidate in history to someone else. No wonder she is working so hard on early voting.
    On what basis do you say she's the second worst candidate in history? Apart from the unusual feature in American politics of the presidency being a famiy business she strkes me as being an excellent candidate and on paper much better than Reagan and Bush.

I suspect this 'worst candidate' thing is based on nothing more than a repeated rumour. I can't think of a British PM except for Blair who coud have given such a good account of themseves during the three debates.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Roger said:

Certainly in my anecdata before the referendum (overheard conversations with patients in particular) the two big factors were immigration and the extra money for the NHS. Obviously my workplace is biased this way, but nonethess it was significant.

The voters of Leaverstan were typically older, poorer, and less able to access private resources to fund their health and social care than the voters of Remania. They want an old style welfare state as part of their socially conservative Britain. May and Hammond are going to have to find the money.

Alaistair is not exagerrating the stress on the system, indeed he understates it. Last Tuesday there were 20 ambulances in the forecourt at Leicester Royal Infirmary with patients in the back, unable to offload as there was no space or beds in our main hospital. This is a weekly event happenning up and down the land.

because nobody else ever has stress at their workplace.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Let's have a referendum on repealing the NHS without actually knowing what we want to replace it with.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Let's have a referendum on repealing the NHS without actually knowing what we want to replace it with.
    we do ever 5 years
  • Options
    nunu said:

I would worry that if we voted to stay with the NHS, the next thing we know they will be running all the schools and taking over my corner shop as well.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Was the plan not to do the sort of triage Charles describes over the phone (111) or online (NHS Direct)? Then you go buy the plaster or painkillers from the chemist yourself.
    Doesn't work. 24 hour GPs would be a good triage location.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

619 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

On what basis do you say she's the second worst candidate in history?
    She's given no reason to vote for her other than her identity.

At least Obama had healthcare.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Roger said:

Well most people don't have the stress of knowing their decisions will determine if people live or die. But I don't think the reference was to mental stress anyway...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Freggles said:

Trying to centralise and manage everything from the centre isn't usually way to maximise the efficiency of a large organisation, however? And the cost inefficiency of healthcare in the US is notorious.
    You don't centralise and manage everything from the centre. But you don't necessarily let one group block something that is agreed by the others, especially when it is something that affects the entire organisation.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

But hard to see it would be cost effective to almost treble the opening hours of tons of GP practices.
  • Options
    A few points on the OP:
    1. No party has a solution to the demand push of an ageing populace and expensive new treatments
    2. No party wants to front up to the reality that bigger regional specialist hospItaly has to be the way forward and that means that you can't have an A&E and specialist cancer/heart/children's hospital in every town
    3. The Tories are pumping more money into the system and front line services are starved of cash. The elephant in the room being the creeping privatisation and marketisation of services ducking cash away from doctors to lawyers and contract managers
    4. Given Jeremy Hunts direct family links to private medicine and the various papers written by Tories about how to privatise the NHS starting with "create a crisis" then "offer privatisation as a solution" it shouldn't be a surprise that so many trusts are being allowed to go under. That's the whole idea

Unfortunately for Hunt and his friends, Boris has knackered their scheme. There isn't growing openness to more privatisation. There is growing clamour for more public funding.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Roger said:

Well most people don't have the stress of knowing their decisions will determine if people live or die. But I don't think the reference was to mental stress anyway...
    most medical decisions arent life and death ones
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

But hard to see it would be cost effective to almost treble the opening hours of tons of GP practices.
    Because a&e is very expensive and inadequate. This is about maximising capacity and patient care.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Roger said:

Alaistair is not exagerating the stress on the system, indeed he understates it. Last Tuesday there were 20 ambulances in the forecourt at Leicester Royal Infirmary with patients in the back, unable to offload as there was no space or beds in our main hospital. This is a weekly event happenning up and down the land.

I meant stress on the system, though I agree the stress on individuals is an issue too. That is a large part of the reason retention of staff by the NHS is such a problem.
  • Options

Roger said:

Or limited resources, or cuts in resources, or demand exceeding organisational capacity.....
This discussion has been closed.