Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Free movement now appears to be at the heart of Brexit negotia

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Free movement now appears to be at the heart of Brexit negotiations

The new Select committee on Exiting the European Union, who will hold their first meeting on Wednesday, will have the opportunity to shape the debate on what Brexit actual means.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Love that mug
  • Options
    On topic she'll have to reveal the deal.

Others will demand the same.

Unless we're staying in the customs union.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,364
    edited October 2016
    Well the Tories won't be taking any South Yorkshire seats at the next general election now.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Real first.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    If Atul can check the postal votes in Richmond, I for one would be grateful.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tlg86 said:

Real first.

Recount !
  • Options

Well the Tories won't be taking any South Yorkshire seats at the next general election now.

Writing off Hallam already ?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Is there any subject on which Mr Brind's opinion has proved correct? Betting tips perhaps, just not in the way intended.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Late to the observations on the weather in London: glorious.

On Br*x*t, Nabavi has it right. She is trying to navigate through an unwholly, virtually unsquareable mess.

No one is yet asking the right people the right questions and those who are being asked, seem to be out of their depths or terrified of saying the wrong thing (e.g. Simon Kirby to the Lords).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

With boundary changes yes but the rest of South Yorkshire is lost because of this

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/31/government-rules-out-orgreave-inquiry?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Love the reuse of The Prisoner typeface. Seems apt.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016
    “There is absolutely zero chance that Barnier would give Britain what it prizes the most – the automotive single market– “without extracting a concession on the issue that exercises Central and Eastern European states the most: migration. The firmness of Britain’s commitments to Nissan mean that the British government knows that it has to accept a compromise on this issue.”

Atul Hatwal is simply wrong on this. Firstly, it's not actually the thing with Britain prizes the most, although it's probably in the top three behind getting some restriction on freedom of movement and protecting the City. Secondly, and more importantly, coming to some deal on the automotive industry is as important to the rest of the EU (including notably Germany, France, Spain, the Czech Republic and Slovakia) as it is to the UK. So the trade-off won't be about this issue.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,364
    edited October 2016
    The only way the Tories can take Hallam or its successor seat is if they choose a charismatic one nation Tory who grew up in the seat and now lives in the seat
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

The only way the Tories can take Hallam or its successor seat if they choose a charismatic one nation Tory who grew up in the seat and now lives in the seat

Step forward TSE..?
  • Options

The only way the Tories can take Hallam or its successor seat if they choose a charismatic one nation Tory who grew up in the seat and now lives in the seat

Nick Clegg?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Steve Schale "grizzled veteran of Florida politics" gives a detailed assessment of the latest numbers from early voting - Conclusion - It's tight :

http://steveschale.squarespace.com/blog/2016/10/31/almost-4-million-votes-in-and-8-days-to-go.html
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nick Clegg?
    Clegg didn't grow up in the seat.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Absolutely the right decision on Orgreave. About time someone politely told the victim culture class where to go.

Apart from being 32 years ago, where many witnesses will be at best some way removed from the events and susceptible to selective memories, or 'memories' reinforced by the popular narrative that's since developed. A skewed inquiry into just Orgreave would also miss the fundamental point that the miners were illegally on strike, were illegally picketing and were aiming to put their union above the law.

Perhaps Dennis Skinner could resign to fight a byelection?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Nick Clegg?
    Clegg didn't grow up in the seat.
    Before Hallam he was but a boy. It made him the man he is today.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    One of the most positive things you can say about TMay is that she's NOT Andrea Leadsom

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Let's suppose we drop out of all deals and end up with tariffs on imports and exports.

We take the tariffs from the imports to pay to the exporters, and we are back on a level footing. Nissan can continue as before.

And that's a worse-case scenario.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Absolutely the right decision on Orgreave. About time someone politely told the victim culture class where to go.

Apart from being 32 years ago, where many witnesses will be at best some way removed from the events and susceptible to selective memories, or 'memories' reinforced by the popular narrative that's since developed. A skewed inquiry into just Orgreave would also miss the fundamental point that the miners were illegally on strike, were illegally picketing and were aiming to put their union above the law.

Thunderous applause and prolonged standing ovation

(Oops that's more Arthur and the NUM)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

The death of the American University, part 934

https://twitter.com/JonHaidt/status/793085279024377856

This one is Canadian but same vein..

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/white-people-in-canoes-yes-canoes-reek-of-cultural-appropriation-says-canadian-professor/

"According to Misao Dean, Professor of English at the University of Victoria, the canoe can be a symbol of colonialism, imperialism and genocide due to history. She also accused the canoers of cultural appropriation because they are primarily white men and have a privileged place in society."
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    It's pronounced Brek-sit not Breg-zit in the UK, surely?
  • Options

Except that's what they said about the Hillsborough inquiry.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

With boundary changes yes but the rest of South Yorkshire is lost because of this

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/31/government-rules-out-orgreave-inquiry?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Yes I imagine those of miner stock are long time Conservative voters.....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    One of the most incorrect & frankly ridiculously articles I have read in a long time.

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-apple-and-silicon-valley-no-longer-own-the-future-10639377
  • Options
    Nebraska CD 02 - NSOR - Sample 400 RV - 20-24 Oct

Clinton 40 .. Trump 44

Via 538

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

twitter.com/JonHaidt/status/793085279024377856

Is it any different elsewhere, like on here?

Say something legitimately critical about Clinton, and get accused of being an extreme right-winger. Or worse.

• Options

Except 96 people died there. The only death at Orgreave was the miners dream that they could overthrow a government by law breaking.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

One of the most incorrect & frankly ridiculously articles I have read in a long time.

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-apple-and-silicon-valley-no-longer-own-the-future-10639377

He's right about Apple tho. They're running on fumes. The new iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack, the new MacBooks don't have normal USBs (so you can't connect them to your iPhone!!)

They're innovating for the sake of it, rather than actually "innovating". They're making their products worse just so they can say they've changed. Dim.
    Apple is more of a religion than a Tech Co now methinks.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I'm on team Thatcher and I reckon smashing the unions was one of her finest achievements up there with setting up the single market and closing/merging so many grammar schools as Education Secretary
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    TGOHF said:

Except 96 people died there. The only death at Orgreave was the miners dream that they could overthrow a government by law breaking.
    The police were the ones law-breaking that day.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

“There is absolutely zero chance that Barnier would give Britain what it prizes the most – the automotive single market– “without extracting a concession on the issue that exercises Central and Eastern European states the most: migration. The firmness of Britain’s commitments to Nissan mean that the British government knows that it has to accept a compromise on this issue.”

Atul Hatwal is simply wrong on this. Firstly, it's not actually the thing with Britain prizes the most, although it's probably in the top three behind getting some restriction on freedom of movement and protecting the City. Secondly, and more importantly, coming to some deal on the automotive industry is as important to the rest of the EU (including notably Germany, France, Spain, the Czech Republic and Slovakia) as it is to the UK. So the trade-off won't be about this issue.

What Theresa May prizes most, probably, is Nissan NOT saying her government is a double-dealing incompetent shower who promised there would be no tariffs or barriers to trade with the EU and didn't deliver at all. And so we leaving Sunderland and off to France.

I would say M Barnier has some leverage. It also puts to bed the "don't reveal our negotiating position" nonsense.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

He's right about Apple tho. They're running on fumes. The new iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack, the new MacBooks don't have normal USBs (so you can't connect them to your iPhone!!)

They're innovating for the sake of it, rather than actually "innovating". They're making their products worse just so they can say they've changed. Dim.
    I'm really grateful apple has gone with USB-C.

It's the way forward.

Finally, one wire for everything.
  • Options
    Interesting that Mr Brind should suggest a pronunciation for Brexit of [bregzit] whereas I would have said [breksit] ..... is this a regional thing - I originate from the Midlands?
  • Options

Why do you think so? I think there's a lot of truth in it.
  • Options
    Pong said:

SeanT said:

I'm really grateful apple has gone USB-C. It's the way forward.

Just got to wait for all my device to catch up with my USB-C mobile phone, then I won't need so many chargers.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

Using Twitter & Apple to say the whole of silicon valley & and UK have f##k all new is bollocks. Twitter are going busto & Apple are playing it safe, but so many others are not.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

JohnO said:

I'm on team Thatcher and I reckon smashing the unions was one of her finest achievements up there with setting up the single market and closing/merging so many grammar schools as Education Secretary
    Certainly smashing the Scargillite NUM (but the UDM were ignobly betrayed by Heseltine and Major), but democratising the unions through compulsory secret ballots is how I view it. However, turnout in elections is still dismal, hence the likes of McCluskey, Serwotka et al, so moving from exclusively postal ballots should now be on the agenda.
  • Options

Snap - I've just seen your earlier version of my post!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Yes, unfortunately you can't connect your new iPhone to your new Macbook without buying an adaptor. The same goes for the headphones that come with the iPhone. Ridiculous, and I'm a user of both.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Apple is more of a religion than a Tech Co now methinks.
    $3k for their new laptop which has inferior specs to laptops a third of the price & the cult followers will still buy it by the boat load.
  • Options
    Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Except the iPhone, and the new lightning headphones that you can't use on your MacBook...

I could forgive them if they were consistent.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Say something legitimately critical about Clinton, and get accused of being an extreme right-winger. Or worse.

One reason I use PB so much is that it welcomes such a broad spectrum of views, and allows commenters to be downright offensive, and drunk (e.g. me half the time).

Still think Rod Crosby should be allowed back in, after doing his probation, tho.
    Only half?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

One reason I use PB so much is that it welcomes such a broad spectrum of views, and allows commenters to be downright offensive, and drunk (e.g. me half the time).

Still think Rod Crosby should be allowed back in, after doing his probation, tho.
    Me and my friends virtually went out of our way to be offensive at university. And we had very free speech.

This was at Bristol.

I'm shocked to see what it is reported to have become since.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

I think it's the wrong decision but I give you this,May seems to take tough decisions like heathrow and now this rather than throw it in the long grass or suck up to pressure groups.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

No it's not. There were suggestions that some fans were drunk and disorderly but that's a bit different from mass intimidation with the aim of bringing down a government.

Unlike Liverpool fans at Hillsborough, the miners were not at Orgreave on a leisure trip. (Actually, in some ways they might have been but they still shouldn't have been there.)
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Why did Labour fail to launch an

TGOHF said:

Indeed so and that reveals the humbug and hypocrisy of those who claim to believe in defending Law & Order. It does ,however, raise the question as to why Labour failed to launch an Inquiry during its 13 years in office!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Only half?
    That's when he's offensive and drunk. The other half he's just drunk. :p (sorry Sean!)
  • Options
    New Hampshire - Inside Sources - Sample 408 - 26-28 Oct

Clinton 45.5 .. Trump 47.1

http://www.insidesources.com/poll-ayotte-leads-in-final-stretch-as-hassan-faces-headwinds-from-clinton-support/
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    SeanT said:

Seconded.
  • Options

Surely the definition of Brexit should be:

"Brexit
    [bregzit/breksit]

Brexit"

:D
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Just got to wait for all my device to catch up with my USB-C mobile phone, then I won't need so many chargers.
    USB-C can deliver 100w - I think it's likely it'll become the worlds first universal plug socket.

;)
  • Options
    JackW said:

http://www.insidesources.com/poll-ayotte-leads-in-final-stretch-as-hassan-faces-headwinds-from-clinton-support/

An outlier, surely :o
  • Options

SeanT said:

Seconded.
    What did he do that caused him to be banned?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,019
    edited October 2016

SeanT said:

It's certainly shocking that anyone on here would be described as an extreme right-winger.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited October 2016
    Pong said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

USB-C can deliver 100w - I think it's likely it'll become the worlds first universal plug socket.

;)
    Only makes me think of this:

https://xkcd.com/927/

Notice the tooltip...
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Certainly smashing the Scargillite NUM (but the UDM were ignobly betrayed by Heseltine and Major), but democratising the unions through compulsory secret ballots is how I view it. However, turnout in elections is still dismal, hence the likes of McCluskey, Serwotka et al, so moving from exclusively postal ballots should now be on the agenda.
    That's the great irony, Scargill was right all along about pit closures. It didn't help the Notts miners one iota in 1992 when Heseltine screwed the industry over.
  • Options
    RobD said:

"Brexit
    [bregzit/breksit]

Brexit"

bregzit - the pronunciation in the areas that voted for it.
    breksit - the pronunciation in the areas that are lumbered with it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    JackW said:

Weren't there some big Clinton leads in NH?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Me too, although I rather doubt he'd choose to return. One of his areas of expertise was US Politics ..... we punters could have done with his usually very accurate forecasting, along with his spreadsheets, etc.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    RobD said:

"Brexit
    [bregzit/breksit]

Brexit"

Brilliant.
  • Options

JackW said:

Oh if only people could just.... BEHAVE when they reply to the pollsters.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Me too, although I rather doubt he'd choose to return. One of his areas of expertise was US Politics ..... we punters could have done with his usually very accurate forecasting, along with his spreadsheets, etc.
    IIRC he has been banned before and did return?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

SeanT said:

Seconded.
    He denied your arbeit macht frei line.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

SeanT said:

Seconded.
    Can't remember the details, I think it was holocaust-related.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Yes, unfortunately you can't connect your new iPhone to your new Macbook without buying an adaptor. The same goes for the headphones that come with the iPhone. Ridiculous, and I'm a user of both.
    Yes, this is what amazed me. Did the people who designed the new Apple MacBook not talk to the people who designed the new Apple iPhone???

That's a seriously dysfunctional company.

I'm gonna try the new Google Pixel, it's apparently just like an iPhone, but it has a headphone jack.
    Does 7 hours charge too in 15 minutes too apparently.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

justin124 said:

SeanT said:

Seconded.
    He denied your arbeit macht frei line.
    In that case he deserved to be banned.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

SeanT said:

Seconded.
    He propagated the most obscene and dangerous conspiracy theory in human history: that the Stratford man didn't write the plays of Shakespeare.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Yes, this is what amazed me. Did the people who designed the new Apple MacBook not talk to the people who designed the new Apple iPhone???

I'm gonna try the new Google Pixel, it's apparently just like an iPhone, but it has a headphone jack.
    Same as me - currently have both a Macbook and an iPhone and am seriously considering switching when I want to upgrade.
  • Options
    Anecdotal: Saw two Trump adverts to zero Hillary whilst watching US TV on sunday.
  • Options

JackW said:

Indeed although IIRC, it's the closest of the New England States.
  • Options
    LA Times rolling is Trump 46.6 ; Clinton 43.2 .Pulling away.
  • Options

LA Times rolling is Trump 46.6 ; Clinton 43.2 .Pulling away.

JackW said:

Tears of stone, heart of laughter etc.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Does 7 hours charge too in 15 minutes too apparently.
    USB-C charging really is great. You can put it on for 5 minutes between remembering it was low and leaving the house and that will be a meaningful improvement.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

TGOHF said:

One battle in a war with no angels on either side. The miners invited a kicking by taking on the state. Was anyone really surprised when they got one?
  • Options

justin124 said:

SeanT said:

Seconded.
    He went from Holocaust denial to pure anti-Semite because Michael Foster, who brought the court case about Corbyn automatically being on the ballot, is Jewish.

Some real anti Semitic tropes were used and Mike's patience expired.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

JackW said:

Yes, that and Maine CD2. Bush won NH in 2000...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Correction: and Gorilla Glass, so you don't have to treat it like it's made of fine bone china. I'm seriously tempted too but the price is astronomical.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

justin124 said:

SeanT said:

Seconded.
    Why are @Indigo and @Ishmael_X banned?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

SeanT said:

Seconded.
    Why are @Indigo and @Ishmael_X banned?
    Are they? No idea.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If Atul can check the postal votes in Richmond, I for one would be grateful.

Some years ago councils were instructed not to show the party voted for when postal votes are opened and checked.

So in theory nothing can be gained by observing postal votes until the night of the count.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Same as me - currently have both a Macbook and an iPhone and am seriously considering switching when I want to upgrade.
    Putting aside missing USB connections, the post Brexit pricing for the MacBooks is so insane they can't be justified.
  • Options

JackW said:

Yes, that and Maine CD2. Bush won NH in 2000...
    Vermont used to be solidly Republican too.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

One battle in a war with no angels on either side. The miners invited a kicking by taking on the state. Was anyone really surprised when they got one?
    Strange* then that the government and police don't want to allow an enquiry to validate that view of events.

*not strange.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

This is a landline only poll that previously was Trump +9. Most polls have Clinton outside the MoE and 538 average has her up about +5.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

I was ready to buy one until I tried it. The UI has sliders that don't slide - you have to press them like buttons. Android just isn't as refined, sadly.
  • Options
    Oh dear.

You can absolutely connect your iPhone to your Macbook Pro.

Without Wires! It's like Magic !

And you can listen you your Macbook Pro on your iPhone Airpods.

Kinda sorta seems like maybe the future. Like Apple has been inventing for decades...

It's depressing that some people like Brexiteers are still mourning the loss of the floppy disk...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Its better because it's Google.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

Kinda sorta seems like maybe the future. Like Apple has been inventing for decades...

It's depressing that some people like Brexiteers are still mourning the loss of the floppy disk...

airpods = pile of shit.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    SeanT said:

BANG ON.

I am am/was an Apple fanboy but the headphone jack omission is beyond stupid. The 3.5mm jack was one of those rare things of beauty in hifi tech - a bone fide industry standard, that worked, was ubiquitous and backwards and forwards* compatible. Almost every household has a 3.5mm cable, meaning music can be played anywhere by anyone. It was seriously stupid to remove the jack. I love my iPhone 6+ and will not be upgrading.
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

This is a landline only poll that previously was Trump +9. Most polls have Clinton outside the MoE and 538 average has her up about +5.
    Wasn't that in July that Trump was plus 9 ? Different times.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

JackW said:

Yes – that is a terrible poll for Clinton.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

It's depressing that some people like Remainers follow Apple like a cult and convince themselves that no headphone jack and shattertastic screens are just great.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

I often charge my phone from my laptop while traveling. That wouldn't be possible without said adaptor. Utterly stupid they didn't include a USB-C cable inside the iPhone box.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

I am am/was an Apple fanboy but the headphone jack omission is beyond stupid. The 3.5mm jack was one of those rare things of beauty in hifi tech - a bone fide industry standard, that worked, was ubiquitous and backwards and forwards* compatible. Almost every household has a 3.5mm cable, meaning music can be played anywhere by anyone. It was seriously stupid to remove the jack. I love my iPhone 6+ and will not be upgrading.

Every household had a 3.5" floppy

My phone connects Bluetooth to the devices I use for playback and calls.

It's like MAGIC !

The only thing I plug into it is a charger.
  • Options

RobD said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

It's the way forward.

Putting aside missing USB connections, the post Brexit pricing for the MacBooks is so insane they can't be justified.
    I think the price has gone up here in the US too, but maybe not by as much.
This discussion has been closed.