Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to Seamus Milne: Your boss, Mr. Corbyn, needs to have a r

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to Seamus Milne: Your boss, Mr. Corbyn, needs to have a ready answer in situations like this

Jeremy Corbyn ducks question on general election; accuses @LibbyWienerITV of 'harrassment'https://t.co/6IPEIahDbj pic.twitter.com/ZUsiTrBbRX

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    First
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    "The LAB media operation MUST become better"

As if Jeremy cares about media operations. His disdain for/intense irritation with them is perfectly obvious.

You want a better media operation? Hire a new leader. Chances of that before the full horror of the next General Election campaign? About equal to the random probability of Corbyn dying or being incapacitated, and he's looking fairly healthy right now.

Poor, tragic Labour. You'd need to have a heart of stone not to laugh.
  • Options
    It's just Jeremy being Jeremy...
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

As if Jeremy cares about media operations. His disdain for/intense irritation with them is perfectly obvious.

You want a better media operation? Hire a new leader. Chances of that before the full horror of the next General Election campaign? About equal to the random probability of Corbyn dying or being incapacitated, and he's looking fairly healthy right now.

Maybe MI5/MI6 will do Corbyn in just like Gaitskell?

• Options

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/794643439078035456
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Pass....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Surely KGB in that instance?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    The LAB media operation MUST become better

Why? That assumes Mr Corbyn is working to the same game plan as all the other politicians. Presumably, by his own measures, things are going just fine the way they are.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    AnneJGP said:

The LAB media operation MUST become better

Why? That assumes Mr Corbyn is working to the same game plan as all the other politicians. Presumably, by his own measures, things are going just fine the way they are.

Quite right :)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    edited November 2016
    Eleventh
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    IanB2 said:

Eleventh

It's not that bad for the LibDems.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Corbyn. Making [insert name] look competent.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Tim Farron?

Actually...
  • Options

Corbyn. Making Theresa May look competent.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Oddly generous tweet. I'm not sure I would say Labour is becoming an irrelevance.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376
    edited November 2016
    On topic, he's been utterly dire, in the last 36 hours a Tory MP quit slagging off Mrs May and her approach.

Not a peep from Jez apart from tweeting about his snapchat account.

A decent leader would have had Mrs May on the rack.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,598
    Start with the basics Jezza. If a journo asks you a question, there are three possible answers.

Yes
    No
    That would be an ecumenical matter (and needs to be referred to the NEC)

'Let's run away' is not a suitable response.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2016
    Bring it on Jezza.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-gives-theresa-ultimatum-9204393#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Apologies to others who saw this a few minutes ago.

If Milne & Corbyn were in a brewery there would be no piss up.
  • Options
    According to the Daily Mirror, Jeremy Corbyn has the following red lines for Brexit:

1. UK access to 500 million customers in Europe’s single market.
    2. No watering down of EU workplace rights.
    3. Guarantees on safeguarding consumers and the environment.
    4. Pledges on Britain picking up the tab for any EU capital investment lost by Brexit

1 and 4 seem to be things which could be defined so nebulously they are meaningless. 2 and 3 seems to require the government to bind all its successors.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Sad for the country and Labour that this strange of of date old man, has stumbled into where he is today. He almost certainly loves that after 30 years of being ignored he gets media coverage and wouldn't like the constant ego stroking he gets.

But as is stands, Labour are finished as a political force.
  • Options

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/shame-to-waste-corbyn-on-a-snap-election-says-may-20161104116602
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

On topic, he's been utterly dire, in the last 36 hours a Tory MP quit slagging off Mrs May and her approach.

Better than their approach when IDS resigned which managed to make the Tory party more unified.
  • Options
    I wrote a thread a few months ago saying a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour party would struggle with the white heat of a general election campaign.

I'm revising my forecast, it's going to be an utter disaster.

It'll be equivalent of the Anglo-Zanzibar war.
  • Options

Isn't Theresa 13% ahead in the polls?
  • Options

Sic transit gloria mundi

Even Gordon Brown led by similar amounts during his honeymoon.
  • Options
    So much going on and Labour is marginal to all of it. A semi-competent Labour leader would not need to look beyond the obvious questions to torture Theresa May. Instead, we have fiascos like this.

I can't recall a period where Britain's future looked so bleak. Nothing good can come until we have leaders to guide the nation away from the moral dregs we are now languishing in. None are remotely in sight.
  • Options

I wrote a thread a few months ago saying a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour party would struggle with the white heat of a general election campaign.

It'll be equivalent of the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971.

:innocent:

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,416

Start with the basics Jezza. If a journo asks you a question, there are three possible answers.

Yes
    No

Very good Sandy :-)

For Tories, the one biggest downside of the A50 judgement is that an early GE may lead to an early removal of Corbyn while Labour is still salavagable. Would Tories prefer 3 and a half more years of a tiny majority against an almost non-existent opposition, or a massive majority against an opposition who might actually oppose?
  • Options

Sic transit gloria mundi

In English, please!

Brown led Cameron for a sustained period?
  • Options

Sic transit gloria mundi

In English, please!

For a few months, then faffed around about whether or not to call an early general election.
  • Options

I thought they did at least manage to fire a few shots before their navy was sunk at 15 minutes in.

Would Corbyn even manage that?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I thought they did at least manage to fire a few shots before their navy was sunk at 15 minutes in.

I think Corbyn would sink his own side within 15 minutes
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    ydoethur said:

Oddly generous tweet. I'm not sure I would say Labour is becoming an irrelevance.
    Labour is unbecoming, an irrelevance.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

ydoethur said:

So more the equivalent of the Battle of Barnet?

Edit - or that German aeroplane which attacked two of its own destroyers in 1941?
  • Options

I had to look up the Anglo-Zanzibar War. My goodness.

Do you think that Labour's chances are that good? :-))

Seriously, this is liable to severely test my hypothesis that Labour won't drop much below 25% in the next election.
  • Options

Sic transit gloria mundi

In English, please!

For a few months, then faffed around about whether or not to call an early general election.
    Hasn't Theresa been ahead of Jezza ever since she became PM?
  • Options

So much going on and Labour is marginal to all of it. A semi-competent Labour leader would not need to look beyond the obvious questions to torture Theresa May. Instead, we have fiascos like this.

I can't recall a period where Britain's future looked so bleak. Nothing good can come until we have leaders to guide the nation away from the moral dregs we are now languishing in. None are remotely in sight.

I reckon the first couple months of May have suggested she could be our best Prime Minister since Thatcher.

The lack of ability is within the opposition parties. Right now it's looking like Paul Nuttall will be the most talented of the lot.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Labour is unbecoming, an irrelevance.
    +1
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Great post on Facebook today (not aimed at me!) -

You're not yourself today: I saw the improvement immediately
  • Options

I take it you're not a big fan TSE .... following on from other recent comments, do I detect that you are moving slowly but inexorably away from the Conservative party?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

So more the equivalent of the Battle of Barnet?

Edit - or that German aeroplane which attacked two of its own destroyers in 1941?
    Theresa May is no Yorkist
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

TSE must absolutely loath Teresa May; and why because she said the words that Brexit is Brexit, even if it is without meaning.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Surely KGB in that instance?
    Pretty much indistinguishable at that point..
  • Options
    619 said:
    Don't blame him, the WI gave Blair a nasty heckling, I hate to think what they would do to Trump.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TSE must absolutely loath Teresa May; and why because she said the words that Brexit is Brexit, even if it is without meaning.
    TSE's public school-boy misogyny.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
  • Options

Tough to do when your Fearless Leader is a garden gnome . . .
  • Options
    Is there any site where I could get an overview of turnout trends in the US election?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    MikeK said:

I don't loathe T May - I was happy to see her take over from DC - but she is letting the country down more and more by the day as she shows few signs of effective leadership on Brexit (or aught else) at a time when the country is in limbo and feeling flakier by the day.
  • Options

Tough to do when your Fearless Leader is a garden gnome . . .

Welcome Back!
  • Options
    WHY has The Donald ignored the burning issue of Canadian occupation of sovereign US territory . . . namely MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND??????\

COULD it be because Putin has ordered him to stay off this otherwise Trumpian topic????

TSE, BTW how are you getting along re: legal research on the West West Virginia project?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

MikeK said:

Another charmless and unjustified attack from you.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Yes
    No

Very good Sandy :-)

For Tories, the one biggest downside of the A50 judgement is that an early GE may lead to an early removal of Corbyn while Labour is still salavagable. Would Tories prefer 3 and a half more years of a tiny majority against an almost non-existent opposition, or a massive majority against an opposition who might actually oppose?
    Exactly why I think May is so keen to avoid an early election. It is much better for her to deal with the Brexit complexities - which are very likely to have at least some negative consequences - whilst the Opposition is both unelectable and prostrate.

She can destroy Labour after she's dealt with the EU.
  • Options

WHY has The Donald ignored the burning issue of Canadian occupation of sovereign US territory . . . namely MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND??????\

COULD it be because Putin has ordered him to stay off this otherwise Trumpian topic????

TSE, BTW how are you getting along re: legal research on the West West Virginia project?

Alas my research in America these days is limited to New York and Boston
  • Options
    Breakiing News - just heard via back-teeth fillings, that internal Clinton campaign polling now show Hilary & other top Dem candidates are now ahead in New Hampshire.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

MikeK said:

I don't loathe T May - I was happy to see her take over from DC - but she is letting the country down more and more by the day as she shows few signs of effective leadership on Brexit (or aught else) at a time when the country is in limbo and feeling flakier by the day.
    Ok, who do you think would do better as PM?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    edited November 2016
    Jobabob said:

MikeK said:

Another charmless and unjustified attack from you.
    I was just trolling him, you humourless Lefty! :lol:
  • Options

The lack of ability is within the opposition parties. Right now it's looking like Paul Nuttall will be the most talented of the lot.

Very helpful to the Tories if true. Labour will have to fight on another front, and it's nowhere near capable of dealing with its current problems.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    I (ironically) follow 'Jeremy Corbyn for PM' on Facebook - they just posted this article, in which Corbyn 'threatens' May with an early election.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-gives-theresa-ultimatum-9204393#ICID=sharebar_twitter

LOL
  • Options
    Essexit said:

I (ironically) follow 'Jeremy Corbyn for PM' on Facebook - they just posted this article, in which Corbyn 'threatens' May with an early election.

LOL

A bit like Luxembourg threatening Germany in 1914.
  • Options
    Theresa May has read the electorate much better than Gordon Brown. She has squarely positioned herself between the two largest groups, Common Sense and Our Britain.

http://opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Dead-Centre-British-politics4_lr.pdf

David Cameron was better than Brown, but even he gave up on Our Britain, 25% of the electorate, to pursue New Britain, 6% of them.
  • Options

Essexit said:

LOL

Surely you mean Andorra? :wink:
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Yes
    No

To my mind, the question is really the other way around.

What is Mr Corbyn's agenda, given that it makes 'running away' the right response when a journalist asks a standard political question? We must assume, I believe, that Mr Corbyn believes it is the appropriate response.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    Minnesota must be like ECV 340 for Trump or something
  • Options
    Dadge said:

MikeK said:

Your attitude to May denotes a personal bias apart from the politics. I myself think that May is a weak leader who to some extent still sits on the fence, and would not stand a chance against top Tories if she was forced to stand against them in a party vote.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

I reckon the first couple months of May have suggested she could be our best Prime Minister since Thatcher.

I agree that May has shown Merkel like abilities to manage the multiple constitutional, political, social and economic crises that are unfolding. I disagree with much of her agenda, but the idea of Corbyn as PM is unthinkable for most people, so she could well end up as a thatcher like figure.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Essexit said:

LOL

The mouse that roared.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2016
    As has been pointed out often, Corbyn has his own parochial agenda. He *believes* in something, in this case I guess something to do with Trot games of the sixties and seventies. Trying to turn him into a leader with a wider base would be like trying to argue with a creationist who say there's no proof of evolution. Both *know* they're right and that nurtures their unwisdom
  • Options
    The feeling is that Hillary is failing to get her votes out in these last 72 hours before the opening bell.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Pulpstar said:

Minnesota must be like ECV 340 for Trump or something

here is why

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/795003414354817024
  • Options
    It was the Mail that was indirectly responsible for the Weiner problems for Hillary, now they may have screwed Trump's chances

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/795019933130358784
  • Options

Essexit said:

LOL

XD you can always count on PB for a top-notch historical comparison.
  • Options

I had to look up the Anglo-Zanzibar War. My goodness.

Do you think that Labour's chances are that good? :-))

Seriously, this is liable to severely test my hypothesis that Labour won't drop much below 25% in the next election.
    I don't think Labour will do too badly in the GE. Worse than Milliband, but not much worse. But it will be defining election because unless UKIP make the breakthrough and win a few seats, I think Labour will have more or less seen off the UKIP threat. (In this regard it's helpful to Labour's chances that JC wants to see Brexit through.)

I'm reasonably positive about Labour's chances because they have large numbers of very enthusiastic troops and a still-effective party machine, and there is some mileage in JC's quiet-man persona. And although the Mail and Sun will tear him to shreds, I don't think the other parties will get a smooth ride either.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    SeanT said:

An indescribably stupid, dangerous article from the hitherto admirable Nick Cohen

Bangs on (fairly eloquently) about the "paranoid radical right"

But then subtly admits, at the end, that Yes he hopes the referendum can be overturned.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/05/brexit-right-politics-speaking-for-the-people?CMP=share_btn_tw

No wonder the sceptic papers are frothing and the rightwingers are paranoid: they are right to be so. Elements in the metropolitan mattering classes want to reverse the vote. I reckon half of the Remainers on here would reverse it, if they can, any way they could, no matter what they say.

For the first time I sincerely wonder if this will end in violence. Remainers need to get a grip.

It's the hope that will ruin them, losing any mitigation efforts with the dream of preventing it altogether.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    I did misguidedly think Corbyn might have learnt something from the first 12 months but it's not looking like it. There are more open goals at the moment than playing The Faeroes after half their team were sent off, but The Politburo seem to be playing at right angles to everybody else and punting the ball into row Z above the half way line.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

For the first time I sincerely wonder if this will end in violence. Remainers need to get a grip.

Umm, the folk inciting civil disobedience after the judgement were Brexiteers.

If you are worried about violence, tell your friends to STFU for a bit
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

It was the Mail that was indirectly responsible for the Weiner problems for Hillary, now they may have screwed Trump's chances

It's the WSJ
  • Options
    geoffw said:

It's the WSJ
    Bugger.

I'm surprised it wasn't posted on PB.
  • Options

I did misguidedly think Corbyn might have learnt something from the first 12 months but it's not looking like it. There are more open goals at the moment than playing The Faeroes after half their team were sent off, but The Politburo seem to be playing at right angles to everybody else and punting the ball into row Z above the half way line.

@ObiDanKelnobi: @STJamesl @montie He doesn't have the numbers to 'force' anything. Only Corbyn could fail at a bid to commit political suicide...
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Quite. It's the fucking leavers who are threatening pitchforks all the time.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

All the Mr and Mrs Angrys out there need to calm down.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Can't imagine this will make much difference.

Note: the brunette in the corner is not the Trump girl
  • Options
    Forget politics. Extraordinary Irish rugby performance against the All Blacks right now.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

An indescribably stupid, dangerous article from the hitherto admirable Nick Cohen

Bangs on (fairly eloquently) about the "paranoid radical right"

But then subtly admits, at the end, that Yes he hopes the referendum can be overturned.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/05/brexit-right-politics-speaking-for-the-people?CMP=share_btn_tw

No wonder the sceptic papers are frothing and the rightwingers are paranoid: they are right to be so. Elements in the metropolitan mattering classes want to reverse the vote. I reckon half of the Remainers on here would reverse it, if they can, any way they could, no matter what they say.

Well said. The business about Parliament voting on triggering Article 50 would be neither here nor there if we had reason to believe it would just be the rubber-stamp it should. Now even Jeremy Corbyn (see the Mirror article I posted) is among those threatening to delay, water down, or block it.
  • Options
    It's hard sometimes, as a political wonk, to realise that even though Corbyn comes across as so very lacking in leadership quality (when away from the leadership hustings) that even though with much reason for misgivings, it seems like May is the only choice in a head to head, millions upon millions will vote for a party Corbyn leads. It's such a shock that I bounce back and consider, could he in fact actually do quite well? I find it hard to credit such a situation, but the Tories are not without problems, so maybe? But how, when you see this sort of thing from him?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Elements in the metropolitan mattering classes want to reverse the vote. I reckon half of the Remainers on here would reverse it, if they can, any way they could, no matter what they say.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-nearest-run-thing/

• Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

People like you should just leave the internet. You lost. Get over it. Move on. But more importantly, go away and never be heard from, again.

This is the only way we can heal the division, the losers - your lot - have to accept that you lost, that this is lost, that you have lost, stop trying to overturn the result whatever way you can, and go away and never be heard from again.

Basically, you have to disappear. GO.
    You mean like the leavers did after the 1975 referendum?

Remember a few days before the 2016 referendum Farage said he wouldn't stop fighting for Leave if Remain won 52-48
  • Options
    in other news...

@MrAndrewCotter: The All Blacks great run ended by epic Ireland performance in Chicago. First ever win over New Zealand in 111 years of trying. Superb.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

All the Mr and Mrs Angrys out there need to calm down.

Indeed. It's going to be hard making the best of it if one bunch are prepared to ignore a referendum (without a care to gaining a similar democratic endorsement) and the other side overreact out of fear of that happening.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

People like you should just leave the internet. You lost. Get over it. Move on. But more importantly, go away and never be heard from, again.

This is the only way we can heal the division, the losers - your lot - have to accept that you lost, that this is lost, that you have lost, stop trying to overturn the result whatever way you can, and go away and never be heard from again.

Basically, you have to disappear. GO.
    How many whiskies have you had? Calm down.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    All Blacks got fucking spanked by Ireland.
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    You know that's from 2014 right?
  • Options
    Dadge said:

I'm reasonably positive about Labour's chances because they have large numbers of very enthusiastic troops and a still-effective party machine, and there is some mileage in JC's quiet-man persona. And although the Mail and Sun will tear him to shreds, I don't think the other parties will get a smooth ride either.

Very enthusiastic troops on social media =/= Very enthusiastic troops on the ground
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's hard sometimes, as a political wonk, to realise that even though Corbyn comes across as so very lacking in leadership quality (when away from the leadership hustings) that even though with much reason for misgivings, it seems like May is the only choice in a head to head, millions upon millions will vote for a party Corbyn leads. It's such a shock that I bounce back and consider, could he in fact actually do quite well? I find it hard to credit such a situation, but the Tories are not without problems, so maybe? But how, when you see this sort of thing from him?

An electorate where barely 30% of voters were willing to vote for Labour under Ed Miliband is not going to deliver as good a result for Labour under Jeremy Corbyn. There's certainly very little chance of meaningful voter movement from either Con or Ukip to Lab, particularly the former.

The Far Left platform is not an election winning prospect, especially in England where 5 in 6 seats are contested, or anywhere close.
This discussion has been closed.