Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Corbyn and his fans should be hoping Trump wins the White

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Corbyn and his fans should be hoping Trump wins the White House race

With the White House race observers on both sides of the Atlantic have tried to draw similarities to politics in the United Kingdom, namely Trump is analogous to Brexit, but perhaps the better analogy is Donald Trump is more akin to Jeremy Corbyn.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    First like Leave.
  • Options
    Yes!!!!!!
  • Options
    Trump is very unpopular over here, according to the polls. As president he is likely to inrease anti-American views. That may help Corbyn in a very marginal way. But there is no chance on earth that Corbyn will ever come close to being PM.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Third like goodness knows who in the electoral college.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

PlatoSaid said:

I've just seen report from latest IBD is showing +13 lead with Catholics.

Anyone got the data?

Trump is +14 with Protestants, but +4 with Catholics.

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-presidential-election-poll/

Clinton winning 65+ by 4 points.

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    FPT.
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

I'm merely pointing out the stupidity of Scott's internationalism = good and nationalism = bad thinking.

OK, let's have your list of all the really good Nationalist movements

Whenever you're ready...
    Lord give me strength.

Do you really not get the point I'm making? Or are you intent on defending your position come what may?

I would expect that almost every nationalist movement that has ever existed considered itself to be good, just as every internationalist movement thought likewise. It's what they did or intended to do that makes them good or bad, not the label or the type of movement they represent.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Moot point in the last para - Brexit is going to be a roaring success because of the trade deal we'll get with the Pacific Alliance:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37886179

Cheaper cocaine. What could possibly go wrong ... ?
  • Options
    The difference between Trump and Corbyn is that the UK isn't a two party system and disaffected Labour voters don't think May is the devil. Plus a big share of the UK electorate isn't completely insane.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2016
    FPT (yet again, post and insta new thread!)
    Alistair said:

Just so other people are aware this does actually look like an important, damaging email and not the usual lies and overblown bullshit.

Maybe, maybe not.

The problem Trump faces is that having run a campaign based on wild conspiracy theories (the birther stuff, Obama is a Muslim, Ted Cruz's dad killed JFK, Clinton murderers, rigged elections, judge Scalia was murdered, and dozens of others), it's going to be rather hard for him to get any traction now with more email stuff.

There's also plenty potential for late releases of fake emails, since there's no time left to disprove anything that comes out now.
  • Options
    The disanalogy is that Trump appeals mainly to old people who are traditionally really good at voting, whereas Corbyn appeals mainly to young people whose ability to vote in general elections is mostly untested, and the system is designed to try to make them drop off the register when they move house.

Syriza would be a better parallel, but Britain is not yet Greece, and Corbyn is no Alexis Tsipras.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MP_SE said:

First like Leave.

rats - I am going to bitch about that all day, just like the remoaners.

I am sure Nick Clegg and Chuka Umunna will back my efforts to have this overturned.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,923

Trump is very unpopular over here, according to the polls. As president he is likely to inrease anti-American views. That may help Corbyn in a very marginal way. But there is no chance on earth that Corbyn will ever come close to being PM.

If he wins they will be licking his butt soon enough, popularity will soar when they are having to beg him.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    I'd have thought Farage (or whoever's leading UKIP this week) would be the obvious recipient of a Trump bounce. Easier to imagine him in no 10 than Corbyn, which should terrify Labour.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

The difference between Trump and Corbyn is that the UK isn't a two party system and disaffected Labour voters don't think May is the devil. Plus a big share of the UK electorate isn't completely insane.

I don't think that May is under investigation by Scotland Yard, MI5, MI6 or the Inland Revenue - yet.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

If you cherry-pick the subtabs according to your preconceptions it's possible to envisage a landslide in either direction at this point.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,923
    glw said:

FPT.

Scott_P said:

glw said:

I'm merely pointing out the stupidity of Scott's internationalism = good and nationalism = bad thinking.

OK, let's have your list of all the really good Nationalist movements

Whenever you're ready...
    Lord give me strength.

Do you really not get the point I'm making? Or are you intent on defending your position come what may?

I would expect that almost every nationalist movement that has ever existed considered itself to be good, just as every internationalist movement thought likewise. It's what they did or intended to do that makes them good or bad, not the label or the type of movement they represent.
    He is so stupid he could not see reality if he tripped over it
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Corbyn had more in common with Bernie Sanders than Trump ideologically so had Sanders won that May have been true, I don't think it really applies with Trump who has more in common with UKIP and the Brexit vote
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    Go JEZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Which polls exactly?
  • Options

Not with UKIP voters though who the latest poll shows prefer Trump to Clinton
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Did Corbyn leave his teeth at home?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    Dromedary said:

weejonnie said:

Dadge said:

I know that's what this site is about, but I shouldn't have started looking at the state-by-state odds - tempted to put my savings in - better returns than in the savings account... For example Dems at 1.2 for Virginia shouts "free money".

Nate has it at 82% chance of a Clinton win - which would equate to 1.17 I think. But if Trump wins Virginia he'll be home free. He would need the average poll to be something like 2.5% out. DYOR.

I suspect a lot of bettors are using 538 to estimate chances - there seems to be a good correlation between betfair implied probabilities and Nate's.

Not sure how this works - New Hampshire is 1.57 for Democrats - I would have thought that would be better than 1.28 on Clinton since NH would be the first of her firewall to go. DYOR
    An 82% probability gives a fair price of 1.220.

On the big national-level question, Nate's probabilities and Betfair's are way out of sync:

Trump 34.5% (538); 21.1% (Betfair, midprice 4.75).

I reckon the explanation is that many people are staking money on Clinton shortly before voting day not because they've analysed indicators that have varying amounts of weight but simply because she is the strong favourite. Cf. Brexit.

There are other online models, and evidently most of them give Trump a smaller probability of winning than 538. Maybe the betting markets are also being influenced by them. There's a Politico article discussing the differences here:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/is-nate-silver-538-right-230734
  • Options
    Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Trump leads by 1% overall today though with IBID TIPP so with the LA Times he now leads two national polls, however he does not lead Colorado or Pennsylvania in any polls and they are the key states to get to 270 for both candidates. It confirms my view that there is a real chance Trump wins the popular vote but a Trump Electoral College win is unlikely
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    TSE...re your lead article....you are a very naughty boy...and that's all I have to say on that matter
  • Options

Plus a big share of the UK electorate isn't completely insane.

Many Remainers seem to think they are including our own Mr Meeks and Scott P.

Of course, it is a total fallacy that a big share of the US electorate is completely insane. You just happen to disagree with them, or fail to understand them, and are putting your failures on them, not where it belongs. (And, no, I am not a Trump supporter, but understand the issues that attract them to him).

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    I've been wondering much the same thing, except starting from the position of seeing no parallel between Mr Trump & the Brexit vote.

One of the differences, however, is that the UK has already tried Mr Corbyn's approaches & didn't like it a lot. That, presumably, is why he enthuses younger people but older ones - not so much.

I see the commonalities the OP draws, but it seems to me that Mr Corbyn's phenomenon is in fact the polar opposite to the other examples of zeitgeist.

(I read the OP wondering whose piece it was & then I read (5) and wondered no longer!)
  • Options

Which polls exactly?

He'd probably quickly become less unpopular if he were good to his word and jumped the UK to the front of the trade deal queue. Although I doubt we'd want the terms offered.
  • Options

Which polls exactly?

This one, for example:

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/29/2-obamas-international-image-remains-strong-in-europe-and-asia/

12% of Brits have confidence in him. Mostly UKIP supporters.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Trump leads by 1% overall today though with IBID TIPP so with the LA Times he now leads two national polls, however he does not lead Colorado or Pennsylvania in any polls and they are the key states to get to 270 for both candidates. It confirms my view that there is a real chance Trump wins the popular vote but a Trump Electoral College win is unlikely
    That will mean a popcorn session!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Look at today's RCP No Toss Up map and flip FL to Trump, and he gets to 270 without either PA or CO.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Corbyn isn't as popular as Trump is.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

The question for many will be whether it will be sweet or salty popcorn.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Of course, it is a total fallacy that a big share of the US electorate is completely insane. You just happen to disagree with them, or fail to understand them, and are putting your failures on them, not where it belongs. (And, no, I am not a Trump supporter, but understand the issues that attract them to him).

I'm in the 'fail to understand' camp - not American voters so much, but the whole political system. It's like baseball, or American football: I haven't yet been able to grasp either the rules of the game or the scoring system.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    The problem with this is that you will not find anywhere near the same kind of support for Corbyn type policies among the British public, as for Trump type ones in the US.

As Theresa May is showing, there is a significant market for a nationalist centre right party, that unites white van man with Colonel Blimp and Mr Moneybags
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

And Trump won’t be able to claim it’s fixed, because the system used is that decided by the Founding Fathers.
    The people who Made America Great!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn had more in common with Bernie Sanders than Trump ideologically so had Sanders won that May have been true, I don't think it really applies with Trump who has more in common with UKIP and the Brexit vote

You have to remember that in the UK the press/ media is universally anti-Trump and for 90%+ of the population the election is only seen as 'funny things from abroad as seen by the BBC point of view'.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Look at today's RCP No Toss Up map and flip FL to Trump, and he gets to 270 without either PA or CO.
    Or if you flip Michigan, Wisconsin and Maine (just about plausible), you get to a 269 tie.

If Trump's leading in the national vote share I suspect the EC will be decisively in his favour.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    It's certainly true that Trump coming close to winning is another demonstration that "established thinking" is losing Its power all over the West. It's not that people feel that Trump (or the left, for that matter) has a brilliant solution, but many people feel that the establishment has been screwing up their lives for a long time, so they're disinclined to listen to them.

Some County Council canvassing anecdotes. Please note that they are for mild interest and do not purport to be representative of anything. I've had two sessions in WWC wards, one in my own (Eastwood), one today in an area in my former patch (Awsworth). Both voted Leave. Points:

* Long-standing Labour voters seem much the same as usual - many mention in passing that they voted Leave, but they see no particular disconnect with voting Labour in the County elections or indeed in the next General.
    * There are more people than usual who say that they find the whole scene confusing and have no idea how they'll vote in the future. These include people who were down as voting for all the parties in the past.
    * If there's a UKIP revival in progress, it's not visible there. Nobody mentioned them, though they will be some of the "I'm not Labour" vote.
    * Two voters mentioned Corbyn - one was a big fan and said he meant he'd be voting for the first time for 20 years; the other said he'd never vote Labour under Corbyn (previous canvass: Conservative). Nobody mentioned May or any other leader. Several Awsworth voters mentioned Anna Soubry, without enthusiasm.

Overall, the impression was not much change on last time (2013), but it's hard to be sure as there was a significant LibDem vote and that tends not to show up explicitly (people just say "Not Labour" and you don't really know).
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

The No Toss Up map gives Nevada to Trump on the basis of a CNN/ORC poll that couldn't find even 135 Hispanics in Nevada to respond.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    MTimT said:

Moot point in the last para - Brexit is going to be a roaring success because of the trade deal we'll get with the Pacific Alliance:

Ah, racist stereotyping a whole country - what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Dromedary said:

Third like goodness knows who in the electoral college.

Seems to me that there is a chance there will be a third placer in the EC this year. Maybe Evan McMullin, though I doubt it, but there's already been one Democratic candidate elector in Washington state who has said he won't vote for Clinton. I'm guessing he won't be voting for Trump.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

And Trump won’t be able to claim it’s fixed, because the system used is that decided by the Founding Fathers.
    I don't think he'll claim its fixed (unless it really is and evidence emerges) but there could be several re-counts if close.

What WILL be interesting is if there are lots of stories of voters asking for paper ballots. That would suggest possible increased support for Trump.

The first complete result is announced at 00.01 am Eastern Time (4.00am GMT Tuesday) (sort of like Sunderland rushing to be the first to declare) -but that is purely symbolic. The winner is likely to be declared 24 hours later.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Yes, it could be a long night
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    What's the chance that Trump (having won 270 votes in the EC) loses a couple of votes through faithless electors? Must be significantly above 0.

This could of course work both ways - if something really nasty is revealed about HRC in the month between electing and voting.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

I don't think he'll claim its fixed (unless it really is and evidence emerges) but there could be several re-counts if close.

What WILL be interesting is if there are lots of stories of voters asking for paper ballots. That would suggest possible increased support for Trump.

The first complete result is announced at 00.01 am Eastern Time (4.00am GMT Tuesday) (sort of like Sunderland rushing to be the first to declare) -but that is purely symbolic. The winner is likely to be declared 24 hours later.
    I don’t think Trump needs evidence to support any claim.
  • Options

MTimT said:

It's not racial stereotypical to read a list of a country's exports by product.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

If he wins Nevada and NH, where RCP presently have him ahead, and wins Florida, where Trump is presently just behind with RCP, he gets to 269. However to get to 270 he would need 1 EC vote from Maine too and avoid losing 1 EC vote in Nebraska
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016
    weejonnie said:

What's the chance that Trump (having won 270 votes in the EC) loses a couple of votes through faithless electors? Must be significantly above 0.

Probable, but also a couple of electors on the west coast have already said they won't vote for Clinton either...

It could all get even more farcical if the electoral college is close.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited November 2016
    I've died and been consigned to some sort of hell. Bremoaners to one side and suddenly electable Corbin on the other. The horror the horror
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

I'm in the 'fail to understand' camp - not American voters so much, but the whole political system. It's like baseball, or American football: I haven't yet been able to grasp either the rules of the game or the scoring system.

It's a kind of hybrid of 18th century Britain and the Roman Republic.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

You have to remember that in the UK the press/ media is universally anti-Trump and for 90%+ of the population the election is only seen as 'funny things from abroad as seen by the BBC point of view'.
    The vast majority of US media is just as anti Trump and of course the BBC was anti Brexit too
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I've died and been consigned to some sort of hell. Bremoaners to one side and suddenly electable Corbin on the other. The horror the horror

I doubt McDonnell and Corbyn, even if they implemented the most left wing platform for two terms of government, could inflict the kind of economic chaos that Brexit ideologues have created in a matter of months......

Brexit ideologues are simply zenophobic thugs and mindless numbskull vandals of the lowest kind. Populist morons.

And there was me trying to be nice.........
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Trump will probably lose, but he will improve on Mitt Romney's electoral college vote - Iowa, Ohio gained & North Carolina lost.

Corbyn will be losing various Stoke seats, Derbyshire North East, almost certainly below 200 seats.

There is not ONE psephologist of any serious worth that has suggested Corbyn will even come CLOSE to winning, the situations aren't really ALL that comparable - Corbyn is going to lose, and Trump's probable defeat will be a result that UK Labour can only DREAM of getting.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Indiana and Kentucky will be first to declare, any swing to Trump from 2012 will tell you it could be tight nationally, if there is a swing to Clinton it tells you she has probably won relatively comfortably
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump will probably lose, but he will improve on Mitt Romney's electoral college vote - Iowa, Ohio gained & North Carolina lost.

Corbyn will be losing various Stoke seats, Derbyshire North East, almost certainly below 200 seats.

There is not ONE psephologist of any serious worth that has suggested Corbyn will even come CLOSE to winning, the situations aren't really ALL that comparable - Corbyn is going to lose, and Trump's probable defeat will be a result that UK Labour can only DREAM of getting.

You are getting far too serious dear Pulps for your own good.... Could you not see that TSE's header was a pisstake?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

The vast majority of US media is just as anti Trump and of course the BBC was anti Brexit too
    A fact-checker during the debate would have been useful.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

I doubt McDonnell and Corbyn, even if they implemented the most left wing platform for two terms of government, could inflict the kind of economic chaos that Brexit ideologues have created in a matter of months......
    You omitted World War 3.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    Superficially I could agree with TSE's analogy. However, there is a problem with accepting it. Trump is essentially in a head-to-head with one other candidate (also a weak and divisive candidate). He is a household name. He is a significant figure in business. He has had his own TV show. He is also actually quite an effective speaker with a direct message that while ridiculously simplistic is also very simple to understand.

Corbyn is a junior backbencher that even I had never heard of before his nomination, who has spent his whole life in obscure political movements, whose only job outside parliament was working in a local authority housing office (fifty years ago) and whose squawking delivery about arcane subjects that nobody has heard of far less cares about would be enough to put off Gibbon's Roman theologians.

There is of course a huge backlash going on all over the world against the corruption, or at least the perceived corruption, and incompetence of the established political systems and their operators. Trump, Le Pen, Podoema, UKIP, they all benefit from this. But so far the only one that has actually been electorally successful is Tsipras, and he has clung to power only because he made a deal with the very forces he was elected promising to destroy!

All of those have in common that they are outsiders who took on or are taking on the political establishment by frontal assault. But Corbyn is the quintessential insider - prep school, boarding school, cushy job secured by parental contacts, safe seat due to being politically sound. He sneaked in the back way, and Momentum as a movement barely measures up to the Libertarian party, let alone the Tea Party. While it is not inconceivable that he might hold most seats that Labour currently hold, short of the onset of the Third Great Depression the Conservatives are easily going to win the next election if he is leading Labour.

And if the Third Great Depression happens, then Labour are likely to be a casualty anyway as a socially dry, economically socialist party hammers them to pieces.
  • Options
    If anyone thinks Corbyn will outperform Corbyn then I'm prepared to enter into a charity wager.

Trump Electoral College votes vs UK Labour seats @ £2 per point.

So if Trump wins 220 electoral college votes and Corbyn wins 230 seats, I'll owe a charity of your choice £20.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    edited November 2016
    Freggles said:

The problem with this is that you will not find anywhere near the same kind of support for Corbyn type policies among the British public, as for Trump type ones in the US.

As Theresa May is showing, there is a significant market for a nationalist centre right party, that unites white van man with Colonel Blimp and Mr Moneybags

Tax the rich and stop the cuts and re-nationalise the railways is a pretty popular policy platform. Corbyn's problem is Corbyn, not his policies.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Despite having a bet on Trump in Ohio I've suddenly got "The Feeling" that he's going to narrowly lose it.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

You are getting far too serious dear Pulps for your own good.... Could you not see that TSE's header was a pisstake?
    What I'm saying is there are longshots that might happen, Trump is amongst those. And those that won't - PM Corbyn is firmly in the latter.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,746
    Has anybody got a link to somewhere that does Trump's itinerary? His own site: h ttps://www.donaldjtrump.com/schedule only gives forthcoming speeches, not the ones he has already given
  • Options
    Another potential beneficiary of a Trump victory:

https://twitter.com/europeelects/status/795233658819006464

Anyone for a Le Pen / Mëlenchon last two?
  • Options

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

You omitted World War 3.
    I've just been out to lunch and encountered some UK based publishers. They all said any serious publisher will be looking at moving their operations to the EU in light of Brexit.

I doubt even if Corbyn got elected and stated re-nationalising railways, he would scare capital in quite the way Brexit does.

What can one say?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

The BBC view was similarly biased against Bush and Reagan. Odd that they never liked Republican Presidents. Typically portraying them as uncouth and stupid.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

If anyone thinks Corbyn will outperform Corbyn then I'm prepared to enter into a charity wager.

How would you measure that?
  • Options

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

The BBC view was similarly biased against Bush and Reagan. Odd that they never liked Republican Presidents. Typically portraying them as uncouth and stupid.
    They were OK with Bush Snr but he was basically the epitome of the establishment anyway
  • Options

Wow... She wouldn't need many transfer votes to get over the line if the result is anything like that.
  • Options

That is a formidable score, even with low transfers and a massively divisive candidate, 45% is not to be sniffed at.

Norbert Hoffer got 35.1% in the first round (And will be very close when the 2nd round is rerun), I think Le Pen would make it if she were to get around 45%.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016
  • Options

That is a dreadful poll for Juppe and Hollande and a great one for Le Pen, although probably an outlier it suggests France is next up for the nationalist, anti globalist tide
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

If he wins Nevada and NH, where RCP presently have him ahead, and wins Florida, where Trump is presently just behind with RCP, he gets to 269. However to get to 270 he would need 1 EC vote from Maine too and avoid losing 1 EC vote in Nebraska
    You have just described the map I pointed you to.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

What I'm saying is there are longshots that might happen, Trump is amongst those. And those that won't - PM Corbyn is firmly in the latter.
    And you are completely right...anyone who thinks Corbyn could be PM is deluded...but there are some of us (including me) who can possibly see a pathway for Trump.

But I doubt very much that TSE seriously believes that Corbyn has a hope in hell...he's just being polemical
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

You omitted World War 3.
    Be patient, we haven't Brexited yet...
  • Options
    William_H said:

Freggles said:

Tax the rich and stop the cuts and re-nationalise the railways is a pretty popular policy platform. Corbyn's problem is Corbyn, not his policies.
    But they're not really bread and butter policies. Do I think the current railway network is a shambles? Yes. Am I willing to consider renationalising them to sort matters out? Yes. Will it affect my vote? No, because it's not a vital issue.

Do I dislike the idea of cuts? Yes. Do I think they are necessary? Yes. Do I think they could be done better? Yes. Do I think the people to do that are Corbyn and Macdonnell? No. Even if I did, do I think they will cut spending? No.

Do I think the rich should pay more tax as a proportion of their income? Yes. Do I believe that higher tax rates on their own will achieve that? No, because that's been tried and failed many times. Do I think that taxes for people like me will go up or down under Corbyn? Up, because the amount of fiddling at the higher levels will increase and the burden to plug the gap will fall on me.

It doesn't help of course that Corbyn is an apologist for murderers who consorts with Holocaust deniers and thinks Macdonnell, Abbott and Thornberry are fit to hold senior roles. But his policy platform is terrible as well. Most of his policies are about as plausible as offering better weather and free ponies, and the ones that are not are irrelevant to voters' actual decisions.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

A fact-checker during the debate would have been useful.
    Would have helped certainly
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Despite having a bet on Trump in Ohio I've suddenly got "The Feeling" that he's going to narrowly lose it.
    Its all about the great Jill Stein failure for me now(*)

* Well it would be if Paddy had let me have more than £7 on the bet :D
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Pulpstar said:

Labour was almost impossible to win even before Corbyn, given its loss of Scotland and fragmentation of its base. Whereas, although the demographics have been trending away from the Republicans, it was always accepted that a credible republican could win, certainly against Clinton.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

MTimT said:

It was tongue in cheek self-parody. I am a Brexit supporter who believes that it is the ability of an independent UK to do precisely this sort of deal that makes it better economically for us in the longer term to be out of the EU. Of course, there are a ton of non-economic reasons to be out of the EU too.
  • Options

Wow... She wouldn't need many transfer votes to get over the line if the result is anything like that.
    Oh well...if Le Pen wins in France all Brexit bets are off. It will seem a very sensible decision for the UK to jump off the EU train before Le Pen arrives in her jack boots.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Germans press for "Canadian style" points based immigration system.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-germany-migrants-spd-idUKKBN1310KH?il=0

"The UK should be leading in Europe"....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

And you are completely right...anyone who thinks Corbyn could be PM is deluded...but there are some of us (including me) who can possibly see a pathway for Trump.

But I doubt very much that TSE seriously believes that Corbyn has a hope in hell...he's just being polemical
    Corbyn as PM is improbable rather than impossible. A lot depends on how chaotic the Tories become post Brexit. They have a small majority and a Corbyn led minority government is perfectly possible.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Brexit ideologues are simply zenophobic thugs and mindless numbskull vandals of the lowest kind. Populist morons.

And there was me trying to be nice.........
    Please don't be misled by the febrile nature of the postings on here. In my daily life, no-one has ever mentioned anything about the referendum since the immediate period after the result was known.

During that immediate post-referendum period, I met one person who was clearly shocked by the result and was reassuring himself that the outcome was only advisory. I met no-one who expressed anything other than a mild interest one way or the other.

I don't think it's raising the national mood to fever pitch, whatever the newspapers might be saying. At least, not out here in the sticks (Devon).
  • Options

That seems way out of line with other polling.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,746
    OK, I'm going to have to bail out until after midnight as I has work to do. I've just spent about four hours trying to sift thru all the posted links. Again I wish to register my regret about this site's lack of focus
  • Options
    tyson said:

Oh well...if Le Pen wins in France all Brexit bets are off. It will seem a very sensible decision for the UK to jump off the EU train before Le Pen arrives in her jack boots.

I dislike Trump and hope he doesn't win, something I would hope with considerably more conviction if that didn't mean Clinton will win instead.

I actually fear the consequences of Le Pen winning an election in our second-closest neighbour.
  • Options

Way out of line with Kantar's from last week.

Could it be a European voting intention that has been misinterpreted?

Can't find it on their website or Le Figaro who commissioned Kantar's last presidential poll.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893

Wow, 45% must be close to the tipping point where she's not going to lose the runoff. Worrying.
  • Options

Where does the polling on the Italian referendum stand?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

Le Pen will trigger a Frexit.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Sandpit said:

Wow, 45% must be close to the tipping point where she's not going to lose the runoff. Worrying.
    It's pretty close to the tipping point where she won't even need a run-off...
  • Options
    German Ministry wants 'Australian style' interceptor boats stationed in the Med:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-europe-migrants-germany-idUKKBN13103Q?il=0

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited November 2016

Way out of line with Kantar's from last week.

Could it be a European voting intention that has been misinterpreted?

Can't find it on their website or Le Figaro who commissioned Kantar's last presidential poll.
    That would be Le Pen up sixteen points in a week.

Something's wrong methinks.

Kantar's tweet of 3 hours ago makes clear Le Pen maxes at 35% in any age band, she cannot be at 45% overall.
  • Options
    tyson said:

If Le Pen wins the EU will collapse in 5 minutes, France was an original founder member, the original driver of EU integration and is a member of the Eurozone. I doubt she does but I think it will be a lot closer than some expect
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Pulpstar said:

if Corbyn was going to look like a winner it would be clear by now.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

William_H said:

Freggles said:

But they're not really bread and butter policies. Do I think the current railway network is a shambles? Yes. Am I willing to consider renationalising them to sort matters out? Yes. Will it affect my vote? No, because it's not a vital issue.

Do I dislike the idea of cuts? Yes. Do I think they are necessary? Yes. Do I think they could be done better? Yes. Do I think the people to do that are Corbyn and Macdonnell? No. Even if I did, do I think they will cut spending? No.

Do I think the rich should pay more tax as a proportion of their income? Yes. Do I believe that higher tax rates on their own will achieve that? No, because that's been tried and failed many times. Do I think that taxes for people like me will go up or down under Corbyn? Up, because the amount of fiddling at the higher levels will increase and the burden to plug the gap will fall on me.

It doesn't help of course that Corbyn is an apologist for murderers who consorts with Holocaust deniers and thinks Macdonnell, Abbott and Thornberry are fit to hold senior roles. But his policy platform is terrible as well. Most of his policies are about as plausible as offering better weather and free ponies, and the ones that are not are irrelevant to voters' actual decisions.
    We're talking about popularity, not plausibility. Trump's policies aren't plausible, but they are popular.
  • Options
    That poll looks rogue. Le Pen will not win in France.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2016
    Yougov Ohio Trump+1, Florida tie.

I'm suspecting that'll be pretty much dead on with both. Gives us something like 274-216, with NH/FL/NC being coinflips.
This discussion has been closed.