Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s price is moving out Betfair because of tonight’s FBI n

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s price is moving out Betfair because of tonight’s FBI news

FBI finds no evidence of criminality in latest batch of @HillaryClinton emailshttps://t.co/qbXYhlMUia #USElection pic.twitter.com/wihbpnRJt4

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    First like I hope Clinton is when the votes have been counted!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Second!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited November 2016
    Third like McMullin
  • Options
    Third like TSEs degree.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Pennsylvania - Muhlenberg/Morning Call - Sample 405 - 30 Oct - 4 Nov

Clinton 48 .. Trump 42

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elections/mc-pa-poll-trump-clinton-toomey-mcginty-20161105-story.html
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Fifth like Comey on a shortlist of three for reappointment.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    JackW said:

Clinton 48 .. Trump 42

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elections/mc-pa-poll-trump-clinton-toomey-mcginty-20161105-story.html

If that's correct, it's all over.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Looks like Crooked Hillary survives again...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Seventh like Labour
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,026
    Crowds chanting 'Lock her up' right now. Trump: "It's a rigged system and she's protected."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJASTexUOxU
  • Options
    FPT

Here's an obscure one: I've tried to read CS Lewis's 'The Space Trilogy' before, but not got very far.

Is it worth persevering?

If you found Rolt's Landscape Trilogy turgid, probably not. Similar sort of style and approach especially when it comes to embedded philosophy.

Clinton to take Utah and carry out the first ever public lynching of an ex-FBI director? She's vindictive and she certainly will be plotting her revenge as we speak.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    It depends on how vindictive HRC is. JC seems to have done everything 'by the book'. The fact that it was at a politically awkward time should be neither here nor there.

(It also makes a lie of the Rabid Democrat postings that it was rogue FBI trying to influence the elections since in that case JC would have held off until Wednesday).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Thousands of emails reviewed in less than a week. Hmm. A minor boost for Clinton but I doubt it makes virtually any difference, it was still yet another example of her failing to follow proper security procedures and if you disapproved of her email classification measures enough to determine your vote on it, which was probably a small minority anyway, I doubt this changes anything
  • Options
    What's the status of early voting in Hew Hampshire?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Blue_rog said:

tyson said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

john_zims said:

@tyson

'I've just been out to lunch and encountered some UK based publishers. They all said any serious publisher will be looking at moving their operations to the EU in light of Brexit.'

Strange that's what my other half & son ( both with major publishers) do and there has been zero talk about it.

What would be the advantage ?

Online......journals...academic journals.......medical journals.......University attached publishers....for instance Oxford University Press is the largest income generator for the University......

People were even questioning about the use of the English language at European conferences post Brexit.

Really very depressing...but I'm very pleased to hear your son and wife will be OK...
    I understand that each member country nominates a language for the official EU business, and since only the UK nominates English, the EU will be obliged to manage without that language once we are no longer a membe
    I'm sure they will manage fine - why not?
    It is just another step Anne for the UK being parochial.... And why academic and medics and the top brains will choose to go for placements in Europe...

Something that struck me (us) though lunch....is that we (the UK) are sitting in Europe, we have a say on what goes on, we have a veto..it is a huge trading block, the political ramifications affect us in every single way...from security, to everything.... And as the UK we have extra gravitas, our language, our role in the UN etc..... And we have a central role in what is decided...from global warming, to security, to anything....And we've just chucked all of it away...for nothing....

Who in their right minds would choose to move out of that to what? To throw all that influence away with our neighbours for what?

It's not just the publishers that deal with universities....that talent...the brain drain.....Brexit is so utterly depressing on every conceivable level..

But Brexit is Brexit...and the sooner we move to a hard Brexit, and understand how little we are in the grand scheme of things the better for me. Then and only then will people start to understand what we have given up.....
    The UK's seat on the UN and Security Council has nothing to do with membership of the EU
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    (Trump dead-cat bouncing into 5.5 as players see 'value'.)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    I don't blame Comey...he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't think he will resign.

Hopefully this news will provide some healing with GOP once the election is decided next week and they can get back to being political foes, that occasionally try and agree on some things.

GOP need to move on from Trump, the Tea Party and populism.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2016
    Goddammit. Comey's been got to by the lizards and their MSM shills.

In fact he's probably been replaced by a Clinton-controlled doppelgänger. It's obvious if you look for the signs.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 48 .. Trump 42

My Ardennes comparison my have been slighted, but compare the fates of New Hampshire, with less campaigning, to PA, where there has been lots.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Thousands of emails reviewed in less than a week. Hmm. A minor boost for Clinton but I doubt it makes virtually any difference, it was still yet another example of her failing to follow proper security procedures and if you disapproved of her email classification measures enough to determine your vote on it, which was probably a small minority anyway, I doubt this changes anything

The only way it would have made a material difference to the outcome of the election was if she had been arrested, which was not going to happen this week.

It may however encourage GOP voters who were going to abstain rather than vote for Trump to turn out to ensure she faces a hostile Congress, simply because it has given them a brutal reminder of just how incompetent and untrustworthy she is. The old check and balance system may seem suddenly desirable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Thousands of emails reviewed in less than a week. Hmm.

Amazing what you can do with thousands of people, isn't it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Comey's brief letter is of the either your signature or your brains variety.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I have just noticed this piece in the Daily Telegraph by Farage.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/06/if-donald-trump-doesnt-win-a-third-party-like-ukip-will-emerge-i/

I don't have access to the whole piece but Farage does not understand that the only reason UKIP succeeded was due to Tony Blair bringing in PR for European elections. Farage would still be getting a couple of hundred votes in Dover council elections had PR not been introduced into UK elections. The United States are winner takes all in the massive majority of institution's for which elections are undertaken and so whilst some third party/ independents have succeeded they tend to get strangled at birth because of the FPTP system.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 48 .. Trump 42

My Ardennes comparison my have been slighted, but compare the fates of New Hampshire, with less campaigning, to PA, where there has been lots.
    It's funny, the original thread I had scheduled for tonight was along the lines of Comey's intervention last week might have given Trump optimism the way FDR dying gave Hitler hope he might be able to get an honourable peace.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

In fact he's probably been replaced by a Clinton-controlled doppelgänger. It's obvious if you look for the signs.

Have you been watching Alex Jones again?
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

tyson said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

john_zims said:

@tyson

'I've just been out to lunch and encountered some UK based publishers. They all said any serious publisher will be looking at moving their operations to the EU in light of Brexit.'

Strange that's what my other half & son ( both with major publishers) do and there has been zero talk about it.

What would be the advantage ?

Online......journals...academic journals.......medical journals.......University attached publishers....for instance Oxford University Press is the largest income generator for the University......

People were even questioning about the use of the English language at European conferences post Brexit.

Really very depressing...but I'm very pleased to hear your son and wife will be OK...
    I understand that each member country nominates a language for the official EU business, and since only the UK nominates English, the EU will be obliged to manage without that language once we are no longer a membe
    I'm sure they will manage fine - why not?
    It is just another step Anne for the UK being parochial.... And why academic and medics and the top brains will choose to go for placements in Europe...

Something that struck me (us) though lunch....is that we (the UK) are sitting in Europe, we have a say on what goes on, we have a veto..it is a huge trading block, the political ramifications affect us in every single way...from security, to everything.... And as the UK we have extra gravitas, our language, our role in the UN etc..... And we have a central role in what is decided...from global warming, to security, to anything....And we've just chucked all of it away...for nothing....

Who in their right minds would choose to move out of that to what? To throw all that influence away with our neighbours for what?

It's not just the publishers that deal with universities....that talent...the brain drain.....Brexit is so utterly depressing on every conceivable level..

But Brexit is Brexit...and the sooner we move to a hard Brexit, and understand how little we are in the grand scheme of things the better for me. Then and only then will people start to understand what we have given up.....
    The UK's seat on the UN and Security Council has nothing to do with membership of the EU
    That was a reply to Tyson from the previous thread
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    I believe the FBI and IRS are investigating the Clinton Foundation. A Clinton presidency will be mired in sleaze from day 1.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

This just increases the chances of an impeachment.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    "Ed's Ground Game"....."Remain have it in the bag".....
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Anorak said:

Have you been watching Alex Jones again?
    If you look at MonikerDiFruitcake's comment, just after after mine, you can see that this isn't a conspiracy, but cold hard fact.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

A possible vote in the House, yes.

67 votes for conviction in the Senate? You're having a giraffe.

Realistically, unless something demonstrably criminal comes out, which seems unlikely, she can only be removed over this if she suddenly develops a conscience and resigns. The chances of her doing that are approximately the same as my chance of a date with Margot Robbie.

It may be of course if such a case is brought that the stress kills or incapacitates her. But that outcome would for obvious reasons be suboptimal.
  • Options
    Rudy Giuliani's FBI sources really are a pint of pish.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MP_SE said:

I believe the FBI and IRS are investigating the Clinton Foundation. A Clinton presidency will be mired in sleaze from day 1.

Trump losing, then Clinton kicked out, would probably be the best outcome.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    There's definitely some value in backing Trump at 6 IMO. He's bound to come in a bit on election night when Kentucky and Indiana are the only states reporting results just after midnight.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    chestnut said:

The only reason a Trump win might (might) have some merit is to see the reaction of PB and CIF on Wednesday morning... ;)
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited November 2016
    Anorak said:

It's all gone a bit tinfoil in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I have just noticed this piece in the Daily Telegraph by Farage.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/06/if-donald-trump-doesnt-win-a-third-party-like-ukip-will-emerge-i/

I don't have access to the whole piece but Farage does not understand that the only reason UKIP succeeded was due to Tony Blair bringing in PR for European elections. Farage would still be getting a couple of hundred votes in Dover council elections had PR not been introduced into UK elections. The United States are winner takes all in the massive majority of institution's for which elections are undertaken and so whilst some third party/ independents have succeeded they tend to get strangled at birth because of the FPTP system.

If he loses though the same populist, anti immigration wing will likely pick the GOP nominee in 2020 ie probably Cruz or maybe Pence
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 48 .. Trump 42

How very dare you preempt my ARSE before tomorrow morning .... :smile:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 48 .. Trump 42

Not if Trump wins Colorado and Florida, or New Hampshire and Florida
  • Options
    tyson said:

I don't blame Comey...he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't think he will resign.

Hopefully this news will provide some healing with GOP once the election is decided next week and they can get back to being political foes, that occasionally try and agree on some things.

GOP need to move on from Trump, the Tea Party and populism.

Healing? If they lose after this the conspiracy theorists within the GOP will go mad, Hillary may survive a full term but the GOP base will ensure a GOP Congress does not give her an inch from the day after she is inaugrated
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @Blue Rog
    I know we have a permanent seat at the UN..but do you not think in matters of security at the EU, the British held extra weight because of our role with the UN?

It defies logic how we could step away from our neighbours and move to pariah status..it really does. No influence on what they do, no veto, no say..no nothing...on our neighbours, our trading partners! We have lost our influence in Europe completely....if we lost an aggressive war, then so be it (the victors dictate the terms)....but to do it in an act of wilful, ignorant self harm is an entirely different matter.

But the die is cast. Brexit is Brexit. We are not going to negotiate a favourable deal, so let's have it quickly rather than endure this death by a thousand cuts.....

Maybe in ten years enough old people will have gone on to better things to change the vote.......
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

Realistically, unless something demonstrably criminal comes out, which seems unlikely, she can only be removed over this if she suddenly develops a conscience and resigns. The chances of her doing that are approximately the same as my chance of a date with Margot Robbie.

It may be of course if such a case is brought that the stress kills or incapacitates her. But that outcome would for obvious reasons be suboptimal.
    More evidence will emerge. They will have no choice.

Who the feck is Margot Robbie.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Demonic possession.

FACT!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, those who opposed her on her emails are going to think establishment pressure, in terms of the election it changes virtually nothing, I doubt one Trump voter will switch to Hillary after this news and most Hillary supporters were not swayed by the revelations last week anyway
  • Options

Anorak said:

Demonic possession.

FACT!
    If I were John Roberts, at Hillary's inauguration I wouldn't give her the oath of office but perform an exorcism on her.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

Just google Margot.......will fight you for her (-;
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

Trump's campaign was on the ropes till the original FBI announcement breathed some life back into it. I think it's wishful thinking that tonight's announcement that there was nothing in them will make "virtually no difference".
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The only way it would have made a material difference to the outcome of the election was if she had been arrested, which was not going to happen this week.

It may however encourage GOP voters who were going to abstain rather than vote for Trump to turn out to ensure she faces a hostile Congress, simply because it has given them a brutal reminder of just how incompetent and untrustworthy she is. The old check and balance system may seem suddenly desirable.
    Yes, this 'clearing' of Clinton will enrage the GOP base, they will certainly all be at the polls on Tuesday
  • Options
    tyson said:

@Blue Rog
    I know we have a permanent seat at the UN..but do you not think in matters of security at the EU, the British held extra weight because of our role with the UN?

It defies logic how we could step away from our neighbours and move to pariah status..it really does. No influence on what they do, no veto, no say..no nothing...on our neighbours, our trading partners! We have lost our influence in Europe completely....if we lost an aggressive war, then so be it (the victors dictate the terms)....but to do it in an act of wilful, ignorant self harm is an entirely different matter.

But the die is cast. Brexit is Brexit. We are not going to negotiate a favourable deal, so let's have it quickly rather than endure this death by a thousand cuts.....

Maybe in ten years enough old people will have gone on to better things to change the vote.......

As I understand it, security matters are devolved to the individual states.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    I think Hillary ends up with 351 or 352. Been saying that for a while but feel more comfortable on it now.
  • Options
    Not great news for Hillary, they didn't want this vague story that the voters don't understand back in the news for the last two days, especially if the media decide to balance their report on this thing being bullshit by talking about the next bullshit scandal that hasn't yet been fully investigated and proven to be bullshit.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,234
    tyson said:

@Blue Rog

Nope - the UK position on the security council is/was completely independent of Europe. In Europe we were largely ignored because of our lack of interest in a Euro army. Our lack of interest was mainly on the grounds that a Euro army would simply be a another layer of generals on top of less and less actual capability...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited November 2016
    NoEasyDay said:

ydoethur said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

A comely Australian who lives in London.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

The only reason a Trump win might (might) have some merit is to see the reaction of PB and CIF on Wednesday morning... ;)
    Similarly the reaction of Farage to a Clinton victory will be something to savour.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    Charles said:

NoEasyDay said:

ydoethur said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure that "comely" quite does her justice.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,234

HYUFD said:

Or of the "We investigated for 10 minutes - nothing to see here" version.

I don't foresee the end of the road for clinton for many a year yet....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 48 .. Trump 42

For the sake of argument, I put Nevada, Colorado, Florida AND New Hampshire (and Ohio which I have as going to vote Trump) in the red column, Trump still loses.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

There's definitely some value in backing Trump at 6 IMO. He's bound to come in a bit on election night when Kentucky and Indiana are the only states reporting results just after midnight.

Clinton will be into 1.1 or lower at the off.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Federal Bureau of Democrats? But, but, but I've just read right here that it's good news for Trump??!!
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

tyson said:

@Blue Rog

Please...stop being pedantic...it's excruciating having to reply....do you not think the EU discussed maters of security...people/drugs/arms trafficking......

Being out of the EU of course will affect our security and safety...Remain banged on about it over and over again...but that was project fear and all that....

Anyway this conversation is pointless...we are where we are..we are heading for a Hard Brexit, let's have it....... and then hope that sufficient numbers of Brexit voters pass on to higher places, and then we can review it all from a position of weakness
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

NoEasyDay said:

ydoethur said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure that "comely" quite does her justice.
    Tastefully understated
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Federal Bureau of Democrats? But, but, but I've just read right here that it's good news for Trump??!!
    It's like Cybernattery on speed.

Everything is good for Trump
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

Yeah?
    You don't think the reaction to a HRC win by the PB pussy grabbers might be worth seeing? Of course in that circumstance I see a large migration to the 'I always said they were both awful candidates' high ground.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

Similarly the reaction of Farage to a Clinton victory will be something to savour.
    I doubt Farage would really care that much.

He'll have picked up a nice, fat cheque from The Donald for his help and advice these past few weeks you can bet that.
  • Options
    Bugger, he deleted his tweet
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

Yeah?
    You don't think the reaction to a HRC win by the PB pussy grabbers might be worth seeing? Of course in that circumstance I see a large migration to the 'I always said they were both awful candidates' high ground.
    Ms. Plato might not take it too well... Can't think of anybody else who might have a mini-meltdown though...
  • Options
    Meh. Not keen to contaminate a US thread with this, but FPT
    TOPPING said:

No way. For years if not decades, every government will blame Brexit for anything that goes wrong in any policy sphere.

Far from making UK politicians accountable to themselves, Brexit is, rather, the ultimate get out of jail card.

On the one hand this is clearly true - in 30 years' time, Brexit is going to be "to blame" for a heck of a lot of stuff, to quite varying degrees of accuracy. (As someone else has pointed out, it is likely to snatch the role off the late Mrs T, who in turn grabbed it off "the mess Labour left the country in" after their governments of the 1970s. Perhaps a running theme here is that winners get the blame decades on once the losers have been forgotten.)

On t'other ... however the EU evolves in 30 years' time, I find it almost inconceivable that the majority of Brits (albeit this term may by then only refer to the English and the Welsh) will be looking jealously across the Channel, the Irish Sea and possibly Hadrian's Wall, wishing fervently to be part of it. In most scenarios my imagination can conjure, even the ones where the EU or USE or whatsoever it becomes is a far wealthier, happier and more stable place than today, I can't see it developing into the kind of club that Brits feel comfortable being part of.

This may well be a miscalculation on my part. One assumption I've made is that Eurofederalism is unlikely to catch on here, but who can know the political tastes two generations hence? The other is that it seems to me a smoothly-running and democratic Europe will require a significant transition towards federalism with central institutions subject to the will of a pan-continental demos, not international diplomacy between merely national leaders. A powerful treasury enacting substantial inter-state transfers, a more substantial role for the European Parliament, a development of the democratic mandate of the President of the Commission... the momentum behind these ideas may be limited right now, but it's hard to see the EU (in particular the single currency) function in the long term without them, and the direction of travel for the past 30 years has been very clear. If that direction of travel continues, it will become less and less enticing for the UK. If instead an unreformed Europe continues to flail from crisis to crisis, that will hardly make it more attractive.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    ydoethur said:

FPT

Here's an obscure one: I've tried to read CS Lewis's 'The Space Trilogy' before, but not got very far.

Is it worth persevering?

If you found Rolt's Landscape Trilogy turgid, probably not. Similar sort of style and approach especially when it comes to embedded philosophy.

Clinton to take Utah and carry out the first ever public lynching of an ex-FBI director? She's vindictive and she certainly will be plotting her revenge as we speak.
    Thanks. I did indeed say that about Rolt's Trilogy, which was a shame as I've heard so much good of him as a man.

I picked up The Space Trilogy off my to-be-read bookcase and realised that I'd started it but only got to page 11. I can't remember why I stopped.

It'll be fun to see those who were praising Comey last week now lay into him!
  • Options
    Hillary is on 314-324 on SPIN.

Good place for Mike to be in.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, this 'clearing' of Clinton will enrage the GOP base, they will certainly all be at the polls on Tuesday
    I see, it's a good think she's been cleared because it will enrage the GOP base.

Let me get this right then, somebody who wouldn't have bothered to vote against her when the FBI announced the investigation was being reopened will now go out and vote because she's been cleared.

The handful of Trump rampers on here are living in fantasy land.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2016
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

He'll have picked up a nice, fat cheque from The Donald for his help and advice these past few weeks you can bet that.
    Not sure that the Donald is very good at paying his minions...
  • Options
    Apparently they're on Trump after following @Plato on PB ....
  • Options

tyson said:

@Blue Rog

Nope - the UK position on the security council is/was completely independent of Europe. In Europe we were largely ignored because of our lack of interest in a Euro army. Our lack of interest was mainly on the grounds that a Euro army would simply be a another layer of generals on top of less and less actual capability...
    Jeez..do your not think that Britain (like France and Germany) held some extra weight on the EU? Or that all 27 states were exactly the same.

I tell you discussing anything with Brexit ideologues is like talking to a 5 year old child, or a dog for the sense you get out of them. At least children and dogs are loveable instead of repulsive, repellant, creatures

But, as I have said, Brexit is Brexit,,,,so let's get on with it and see how it goes
  • Options

TOPPING said:

No way. For years if not decades, every government will blame Brexit for anything that goes wrong in any policy sphere.

Far from making UK politicians accountable to themselves, Brexit is, rather, the ultimate get out of jail card.

On the one hand this is clearly true - in 30 years' time, Brexit is going to be "to blame" for a heck of a lot of stuff, to quite varying degrees of accuracy. (As someone else has pointed out, it is likely to snatch the role off the late Mrs T, who in turn grabbed it off "the mess Labour left the country in" after their governments of the 1970s. Perhaps a running theme here is that winners get the blame decades on once the losers have been forgotten.)

On t'other ... however the EU evolves in 30 years' time, I find it almost inconceivable that the majority of Brits (albeit this term may by then only refer to the English and the Welsh) will be looking jealously across the Channel, the Irish Sea and possibly Hadrian's Wall, wishing fervently to be part of it. In most scenarios my imagination can conjure, even the ones where the EU or USE or whatsoever it becomes is a far wealthier, happier and more stable place than today, I can't see it developing into the kind of club that Brits feel comfortable being part of.

This may well be a miscalculation on my part. One assumption I've made is that Eurofederalism is unlikely to catch on here, but who can know the political tastes two generations hence? The other is that it seems to me a smoothly-running and democratic Europe will require a significant transition towards federalism with central institutions subject to the will of a pan-continental demos, not international diplomacy between merely national leaders. A powerful treasury enacting substantial inter-state transfers, a more substantial role for the European Parliament, a development of the democratic mandate of the President of the Commission... the momentum behind these ideas may be limited right now, but it's hard to see the EU (in particular the single currency) function in the long term without them, and the direction of travel for the past 30 years has been very clear. If that direction of travel continues, it will become less and less enticing for the UK. If instead an unreformed Europe continues to flail from crisis to crisis, that will hardly make it more attractive.
    There will be no EU in five years time.
  • Options
    My follow-on question is whether there is any path in which the post-Brexit EU becomes fantastically wealthy and successful (at least in comparison to the UK) while also unwinding decades worth of political unification? Absent a surge in British Eurofederalism, that seems to be the only route from regret to rejoining.

For me the best bet might be a collapse of the Eurozone, either in its entirety or to a more compatible core group. This would remove the main impetus towards political union, and help stop the hammering of living standards in places like Greece. If the only way the EU itself could be preserved is by allowing members to settle at different levels of integration, then it opens up the possibilities of "Europe à la carte" that Brits might feel happier signing up to. Even this situation I have doubts about: not only how likely it is, but whether the continuation of the Eurozone as an economically strong grouping with tightly-aligned political interests would mean rejoining the EU risked Britain (along with other non-core EU states) being dominated by an axis it had no intention to join, and how long it would take (decades?) for the political and economic fallout of a €urogeddon to settle down.
  • Options

Bugger, he deleted his tweet

Oh. I thought you'd self-censored. Glad to hear that's not the case.
  • Options
    They got word that TSE is editing PB this week...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited November 2016
    JackW said:

Apparently they're on Trump after following @Plato on PB ....
    I was going to make a gag about how male prisoners should take a keen interest in your ARSE
  • Options
    Well, if he's talking like Yoda can he use the Force to protect himself?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

Farage would have got payment and expenses up front. When it comes to money that man has his head screwed on...
  • Options

That was fine, it was when they heard he'd delayed the AV thread again that it all kicked off.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    I've just backed
    Clinton£100 @ 1.47 New Hampshire;
    Trump £20 @ 6.2 POTUS.

New Hampshire is THE swing state in both @RodCrosby and Nate Silver's analysis.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I see, it's a good think she's been cleared because it will enrage the GOP base.

Let me get this right then, somebody who wouldn't have bothered to vote against her when the FBI announced the investigation was being reopened will now go out and vote because she's been cleared.

The handful of Trump rampers on here are living in fantasy land.
    Of course not in most cases but it will add fuel to the fire of the 'conspiracy' theorists and make the base even more determined to vote, while the fact the FBI has not found anything 'criminal' does not excuse the fact sensitive emails were found on Weiner's server
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 48 .. Trump 42

For the sake of argument, I put Nevada, Colorado, Florida AND New Hampshire (and Ohio which I have as going to vote Trump) in the red column, Trump still loses.
    Not if you add North Carolina, Ohio and Iowa, he then gets to 269 and 270 if you add 1 EC vote from Maine
  • Options
    Anorak said:

That was fine, it was when they heard he'd delayed the AV thread again that it all kicked off.
    This is my last 'proper' thread for a few weeks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've just backed
    Clinton£100 @ 1.47 New Hampshire;
    Trump £20 @ 6.2 POTUS.

New Hampshire is THE swing state in both @RodCrosby and Nate Silver's analysis.

My wallet is still feeling the result of Rubio coming THIRD in Iowa, yet still "winning", thus ruining my back Rubio in Iowa, lay him for the nomination strategy.
  • Options

Anorak said:

PROPER threads for PROPER people!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    NoEasyDay said:

TOPPING said:

There will be no EU in five years time.
    I am not a betting man normally, but that seems like very easy money. Want a bet on it?
  • Options

Anorak said:

Opening the Tattinger now.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

tyson said:

@Blue Rog

Please...stop being pedantic...it's excruciating having to reply....do you not think the EU discussed maters of security...people/drugs/arms trafficking......

Being out of the EU of course will affect our security and safety...Remain banged on about it over and over again...but that was project fear and all that....

Anyway this conversation is pointless...we are where we are..we are heading for a Hard Brexit, let's have it....... and then hope that sufficient numbers of Brexit voters pass on to higher places, and then we can review it all from a position of weakness
    I think Interpol existed before the EU
  • Options

This may well be a miscalculation on my part. One assumption I've made is that Eurofederalism is unlikely to catch on here, but who can know the political tastes two generations hence?

What assumptions are you making about the trends within the UK itself? It's clear that our current constitution is unsustainable. Perhaps if federalism catches on domestically we might start to see the point of the EU.
  • Options
    Go Hillary!! Increased my exposure the other day for 1.35. Hurrah!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

Farage would have got payment and expenses up front. When it comes to money that man has his head screwed on...
    4 million in expenses and counting....and with the currency exchange rate he even got a pay rise!
This discussion has been closed.