Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s bumper polling night – all the main online firms

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s bumper polling night – all the main online firms have surveys for the Sundays

Tonight’s is a very unusual one for polls outside general election campaigns. By my reckoning all the main online firms have a got a survey coming out and we should have at least four polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    A bit early for crossover, but I remain optimistic.

James Anderson getting Michael Clarke might help.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    A 10% spread in the CON/UKIP values. Someone's gonna have egg on their face come the election.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    The only change might be just the continued gradual slide in Ukip support, probably going equally to Con and Lab.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Agreed.

YouGov is out of line because it doesn't take into account likelihood to vote and much of the UKIP supports comes from groups like the 60+ who do turn out.

I was talking to one of the pollsters involved the other day and he reckoned that his raw data on UKIP was not too distant from YouGov - the gap is down to how they process it.
    RobD said:

A 10% spread in the CON/UKIP values. Someone's gonna have egg on their face come the election.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,006
    Montana Gov Brian Schwitzer will not run for the State's Senate seat in 2014
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good evening, everyone.

Damned hot weather. I'll be glad when it's colder.
  • Options
    Ah, well.

I'll take Broad instead of Anderson.

Bye, bye Michael Clarke.
  • Options
    Clarke out!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Stephanie Flanders "As for Ed Miliband, whose romance with Ms Flanders was much shorter than her affair with Balls, ‘he was a bit of a ladies’ man’. ... ‘He had a nice line in looking as though he needed comforting from girls, and had considerable success with quite a lot of them.’" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2362450/Miliband-Balls-BOTH-romanced-Beebs-brainy-beauty-Labour-leaders-gallant-confession-love-life.html
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    "Bob Crow, the RMT general secretary, will seek to exploit Labour’s wranglings with trade unions by urging the movement to break ties with Ed Miliband and create a party' to take on the 'anti-worker' agenda of the three main Westminster political parties at the Durham Miners’ Gala."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/union-leader-bob-crow-seeks-to-form-new-working-class-party-to-replace-labour-8706561.html
  • Options
    Smith gone too!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    England on fire at Trent Bridge.
  • Options
    Morris Dancer - Indeed, have been trying to do a dissertation in the evenings and on/off at weekends, not easy. Also supposed to be going to see the Battle of Tewkesbury tomorrow, or at least the re-enactment, so will try and find a shady spot
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited July 2013
    HYUFD said:

Stephanie Flanders "As for Ed Miliband, whose romance with Ms Flanders was much shorter than her affair with Balls, ‘he was a bit of a ladies’ man’. ... ‘He had a nice line in looking as though he needed comforting from girls, and had considerable success with quite a lot of them.’ "

Oh dear me - mothering sympathy sex. If I'd wanted to kill a bloke's Alpha Male stone dead, it'd be saying this to the press.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    "Mrs May has let it be known she is not hoping to oust Mr Cameron: she is simply determined that Boris Johnson should not stroll into high office. ... I am told she finds his shallowness childish and his repeated adultery deplorable. It affronts her both as a child of the vicarage and as a woman. She has no time for Boris’s fnarr-fnarr celebrity politics." - Quentin Letts, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2362251/QUENTIN-LETTS-OK-theres-jazzy-shoes-lifes-thigh-slappers-aint-Despite-Westminsters-asking--Will-woman-Tory-leader.html
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    HYUFD

LINKS PLEASE FOR YOUR QUOTES
  • Options
    Lovely jubbly.. it was 140/3 when I left for work
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited July 2013
    HYUFD said:

I was reading yesterday (on rollcall) that he was "99.9% likelihood to run"

http://atr.rollcall.com/schweitzer-expected-to-run-but-when/

...so this is a bit of a shock. It's good news (In My View ©OGH) in that Montana should now be a GOP pickup.

Edit: Link to announcement on TheHill bit.ly/1b9W7iZ
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, which side are you supporting? Roundheads or cavaliers?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Good evening, everyone.

Well after a scorcher of a day yesterday, its cloudy, damp and considerable colder here in Aberdeenshire today. It was warmer at midnight last night than it was at midday today. Must have known it was the Echt Show today as we kick off the start of the Highland Games/Shows season. :)

• Options
    Morris Dancer - Wrong war unfortunately, it was Yorkists v Lancastrians!
  • Options
    Geoff M - Maybe, but given the GOP's recent Senate record, nothing is guaranteed
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

Doesn't rule out Dave under a bus does it.

Are you licensed to drive a bus, tim?
  • Options
    I don't understand that last dismissal.

Don't they have an "umpire's call" for where the ball pitches, as they do for the other criteria?
  • Options
    Ha, sorry Mr. HYUFD. As you may've gathered modern history isn't my forte!

Miss Fitalass, I wish it were so cool here.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Plato - Well some sex is better than none at all I suppose, and Ed is hardly Ryan Gosling is he despite Nicky Haslam's recent comments!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Moderator - quotes links added
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2013
    Josie Channor wins Labour selection in Kingswood. She's a black councillor from Barking.
    GMB United backed candidate defeated.

So running total for Unite's 41 group so far

10 selected
    14 defeated
    17 to go
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, which side are you supporting? Roundheads or cavaliers?

Isn't that a question for Ms. Stephanie Flanders?

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,814
    Andy_JS said:

Don't they have an "umpire's call" for where the ball pitches, as they do for the other criteria?

Because where the ball pitches is a visible fact - hitting the stumps is a projection of where the ball might go.
  • Options
    I'm a bit surprised: don't Labour have any candidates from the Bristol area to stand in Kingswood?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    "She is one of the few Cabinet Tories prepared to block David Cameron and George Osborne, an example being the recent row about minimum-pricing for alcohol.
    The Notting Hill Cameroons and the Lib Dems supported this nanny-state idea on health grounds. Mrs May, in alliance with Michael Gove, thought voters were adult enough to make up their own minds about strong drink."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2362251/QUENTIN-LETTS-OK-theres-jazzy-shoes-lifes-thigh-slappers-aint-Despite-Westminsters-asking--Will-woman-Tory-leader.html#ixzz2YwhnissT
  • Options
    AveryLP - Very good
  • Options
    Morris Dancer - Well a good guess, most UK re-enactments are either Civil War or War of the Roses
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    HYUFD said:

"Mrs May has let it be known she is not hoping to oust Mr Cameron: she is simply determined that Boris Johnson should not stroll into high office. ... I am told she finds his shallowness childish and his repeated adultery deplorable. It affronts her both as a child of the vicarage and as a woman. She has no time for Boris’s fnarr-fnarr celebrity politics." - Quentin Letts, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2362251/QUENTIN-LETTS-OK-theres-jazzy-shoes-lifes-thigh-slappers-aint-Despite-Westminsters-asking--Will-woman-Tory-leader.html

*chortle*

Crikey! That should please serial labour voters. ;^ )

Will Boris fire back in a "stupid woman" Hague like manner?
    Perhaps Boris will opine on Mrs May's mysterious (and not imaginary) immigrant cat.

• Options
    Tim - Indeed, she would certainly stand in such circumstances
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Andy_JS said:

I'm a bit surprised: don't Labour have any candidates from the Bristol area to stand in Kingswood?

Somerset North East also ended up selecting a Kensington male Cllr.
    Kingswood was AWS and I guess some of the Bristol women concentrated their efforts on Bristol South (another AWS) selection completed last month. However, even Bristol South didn't seem to have attracted so many contenders.
  • Options
    "On the assumption that a girl is entitled to keep her past to herself, it was somewhat caddish of Ed Miliband, during an informal interview with a celebrity magazine this week to blurt out confirmation that he once romanced Stephanie Flanders, the BBC’s no-nonsense economics editor.

Worse, the Labour leader also confirmed the same thing on behalf of that other Ed, the pugnacious Shadow Chancellor Balls.

‘We did both date her but there was a long time apart between me and Ed,’ he declared. ‘Stephanie and I don’t have any problems running into each other now.’

The clip-voiced, blue-stocking broadcaster had no forewarning of Miliband’s revelation and restricted her response to dismissing her relationship with him as having been ‘very brief and a very long time ago’"

I read that Ed Miliband interview and thought his handling of dating Stefanie Flanders in it rather ungentlemanly. Stefanie Flanders response shows him how he should have handled this line of questioning.

HYUFD said:

Stephanie Flanders "As for Ed Miliband, whose romance with Ms Flanders was much shorter than her affair with Balls, ‘he was a bit of a ladies’ man’. ... ‘He had a nice line in looking as though he needed comforting from girls, and had considerable success with quite a lot of them.’" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2362450/Miliband-Balls-BOTH-romanced-Beebs-brainy-beauty-Labour-leaders-gallant-confession-love-life.html

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2013
    @Carlotta

"She is one of the few Cabinet Tories prepared to block David Cameron and George Osborne"

But more to the point she identified the Tories of which she was a part correctly as being 'The Nasty Party' which was both courageous and perceptive. Not that a blind man on a galloping horse couldn't see it but often people get too close and miss the obvious.

I like her. she'd be a good leader-much better than the alternatives
  • Options
    @Andrea

Sometimes it seems like you have to be from London to get selected in these seats which is not a good thing IMO.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    fitalass said:

Good evening, everyone.

Well after a scorcher of a day yesterday, its cloudy, damp and considerable colder here in Aberdeenshire today. It was warmer at midnight last night than it was at midday today. Must have known it was the Echt Show today as we kick off the start of the Highland Games/Shows season. :)

It was a warm dry sunny day on this side of the Moray Firth though a slight breeze was very welcome.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Because where the ball pitches is a visible fact - hitting the stumps is a projection of where the ball might go.
    But don't they have an "umpire's call" for where the ball hits the batsman which is the same type of thing as where the ball pitches?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

I was reading yesterday (on rollcall) that he was "99.9% likelihood to run"

http://atr.rollcall.com/schweitzer-expected-to-run-but-when/

...so this is a bit of a shock. It's good news (In My View ©OGH) in that Montana should now be a GOP pickup.

Edit: Link to announcement on TheHill bit.ly/1b9W7iZ
    Was told yesterday that the Governor of Maryland is preparing a run in 2016. (I know the GOP has accused him of doing so, but he has started approaching the money).

Don't know the guy, but seems a small home state. Perhaps really a shot at a Cabinet role? Or a NE VP candidate should a non-Hillary become the candidate?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Morris Dancer - Well a good guess, most UK re-enactments are either Civil War or War of the Roses

To be fair, apart from Sedgemoor, Hastings, Stamford Bridge and the various Jacobite incursions there aren't that many other battles on British soil... (I doubt anyone really has interest in the British vs. Saxon fights)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've now got the embargoed details of two of the polls. ComRes is embargoed till 7.30

Some interesting non-VI findings

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

fitalass said:

Good evening, everyone.

It was a warm dry sunny day on this side of the Moray Firth though a slight breeze was very welcome.
    lovely in Ayrshire , but a bit cooler as we have a breeze, still very nice.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674

I've now got the embargoed details of two of the polls. ComRes is embargoed till 7.30

Some interesting non-VI findings

Given the questions they asked, they may be "interesting", if not surprising:

"1. Ed Miliband has handled the controversy surrounding trade union influence in the Labour Party well
    2. Trade union members should pay membership fees to the Labour Party only if they individually choose to, rather than automatically be enrolled
    3. If trade union influence in the Labour Party is reduced, working class people will find it harder to have their views represented in Parliament
    4. Parliament is too unrepresentative of the UK population as a whole
    5. I support the idea of ‘open primaries’ to select parliamentary candidates where everyone on the electoral register can take part
    6. If forced to choose, I would prefer that parties receive money from trade unions than from wealthy individual donors
    7. I am more optimistic about the direction of the country than I was a year ago
    8. Andy Murray deserves a knighthood for winning Wimbledon

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/07/13/poll-alert-33/

Pity they didn't ask about donation size caps and tax payer funding........
  • Options
    @tim "I don't think we need to take your "opinions" too seriously."

Is that the royal we or do you mean you and Mike?

• Options
    Most of the CR subsidiaries are hopelessly leading and therefore pretty useless
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited July 2013
    May be bumper polling night, but ICM is the one I'm waiting for.

In past years, anytime around now, we'd have had a NOTW/ICM bumper marginals poll. :(
  • Options

Pity they didn't ask about donation size caps and tax payer funding........

I think the former would have been popular and the latter unpopular.
  • Options
    Someone doesn't know what embargo means

electionista @electionista
    UK - Opinium/Observer poll: CON 27%, LAB 38%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 19% twitter.com/tobyhelm/statu…
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I wonder why Lefties get excited about May becoming the Con leader..In my opinion..she would shred them..
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that Opinium poll is bonkers. The Lib Dem and UKIP numbers in particular look incredible.
  • Options
    I thought it was just a transparent ruse to stir and deflect attention from themselves ;^ )

I wonder why Lefties get excited about May becoming the Con leader..In my opinion..she would shred them..

• Options
    Charles - Indeed, I have seen a re-enactment of Hastings at Battle, and I think Culloden has one (I have been there although not seen the re-enactment, in fact the last one was in Pennsylvania I gather). I believe the Sealed Knot does Sedgemoor re-enactments, so that could almost be counted as Civil War anyway! Waterloo will be a big do in Belgium though in 2015!
  • Options
    Plato said:

UK - Opinium/Observer poll: CON 27%, LAB 38%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 19% twitter.com/tobyhelm/statu…

So LAB +1, LD -1. MoE so far, although the repeated low of 27 for the Tories must be discouraging.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I thought it was just a transparent ruse to stir and deflect attention from themselves ;^ )

Ooo look, a squirrel!
  • Options

Miss Plato, that Opinium poll is bonkers. The Lib Dem and UKIP numbers in particular look incredible.

I looked at it 3x to check I wasn't seeing things. I know they don't do a balanced sample, but it certainly looks very peculiar.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,814
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

But don't they have an "umpire's call" for where the ball hits the batsman which is the same type of thing as where the ball pitches?
    Not sure - but a batsman is a moving target.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, apart from Sedgemoor, Hastings, Stamford Bridge and the various Jacobite incursions there aren't that many other battles on British soil... (I doubt anyone really has interest in the British vs. Saxon fights)
    Bannockburn gets a fair amount of interest, even more so next year I should imagine.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,310
    edited July 2013
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Sedgemoor?
    Worcester?

Worcester is the only battle on English soil to involve a river crossing during the actual battle!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles - Indeed, I have seen a re-enactment of Hastings at Battle, and I think Culloden has one (I have been there although not seen the re-enactment, in fact the last one was in Pennsylvania I gather). I believe the Sealed Knot does Sedgemoor re-enactments, so that could almost be counted as Civil War anyway! Waterloo will be a big do in Belgium though in 2015!

The Battle at Battle is brilliant - I went a couple of years ago and it was closed as full by noon - absolutely heaving and the weather was like today so we all cooked.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Plato said:

UK - Opinium/Observer poll: CON 27%, LAB 38%, LD 6%, UKIP 19% twitter.com/tobyhelm/statu…

Opinium 28 Jun: Con 27% Lab 37% LD 7% UKIP 19% Lab +10

So that's -1 Lab, +1 LD and no change for CON and UKIP.

I guess the non-VI findings will have to be interesting!

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AveryLP said:

Plato said:

UK - Opinium/Observer poll: CON 27%, LAB 38%, LD 6%, UKIP 19% twitter.com/tobyhelm/statu…

Shouldn't that be Lab +1, LD -1 ?

In any event, the UKIP numbers are a fiction. It is a party of fruitcakes, racists and jokers !
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Someone has backed NOM as far down as 2.32 today on Betfair. Labour overall majority has correspondingly been laid as far as 2.8.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

Plato said:

Shouldn't that be Lab +1, LD -1 ?

In any event, the UKIP numbers are a fiction. It is a party of fruitcakes, racists and jokers !
    You are right, Surby.

On all points.

I think Opinium must survey on Southend Pier.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    antifrank said:

Someone has backed NOM as far down as 2.32 today on Betfair. Labour overall majority has correspondingly been laid as far as 2.8.

Well it won't be on the back of the leaked Opinium poll!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Sunil - Worcester was still Civil War, The Third Civil War, the Sealed Knot does a re-enactment of it too

The Union Divvie - Yes NT Scotland is organising a 3-day extravaganza next June for Bannockburn, the year of the referendum as you say

Plato - Yes, went many years ago, but it was worth it!
  • Options
    In my opinion..I think May would rip the Labour front bench apart, I also think, in my opinion, that Cameron would do the same if he could get rid of the sh*t on his shoe, The Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

There's no interest in British vs Saxon fights. Absolutely, there's too much Saxon violence around nowadays.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Plato said:

Ooo look, a squirrel!
    There are political betting markets on the next Tory leader.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

In my opinion..I think May would rip the Labour front bench apart, I also think, in my opinion, that Cameron would do the same if he could get rid of the sh*t on his shoe, The Lib Dems.

Cameron's problem is not the Lib Dems but the sh*t in his shoes the incompetent Osbourne and primarily the lunatic Conservative MPs who are continually voting against him .

• Options
    HYUFD said:

If you go to the American Museum in Bath there is a great view of a re-enactment (I guess civil war?) of a battle in the valley
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    HYUFD said:

Sunil - Worcester was still Civil War, The Third Civil War, the Sealed Knot does a re-enactment of it too

The Union Divvie - Yes NT Scotland is organising a 3-day extravaganza next June for Bannockburn, the year of the referendum as you say

Plato - Yes, went many years ago, but it was worth it!

Of course the battle with the most enthusiastic re-enacters is the Boyne. Blue polyester football tops aren't quite authentic, though the murderous rage certainly is.

• Options

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Sedgemoor?
    Worcester?

Worcester is the only battle on English soil to involve a river crossing during the actual battle!
    Sedgemoor I had. Wasn't Worcester Civil War?
  • Options
    Are there embargoes on the non Yougov polls ? The Yougov numbers will be leaked if they are favourable to the Tories.
  • Options
    I found a few incidents in the test match very disturbing. E.g.:

1. Broad - he who doesn't walk because he waits for the Umpire's decision. Fine. So why did he walk today ? The only conclusion can be that when he thinks he can get away with a decision in his favour, he doesn't walk.

2. Clarke - the only possible reason to ask for the review was taht he felt HotSpot will not show up the thin edge. In the process losing all the Aussie referrels.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Are there embargoes on the non Yougov polls ? The Yougov numbers will be leaked if they are favourable to the Tories.

It's not leaking if it is done by the people who are publishing them, as is done with the daily tacker poll.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    surbiton said:

1. Broad - he who doesn't walk because he waits for the Umpire's decision. Fine. So why did he walk today ? The only conclusion can be that when he thinks he can get away with a decision in his favour, he doesn't walk.

2. Clarke - the only possible reason to ask for the review was taht he felt HotSpot will not show up the thin edge. In the process losing all the Aussie referrels.

1 ) Broad is clever.

2 ) Clarke is stupid.

That's my reading.

• Options
    Daily Mirror - Why Ed Miliband ending the union levy to Labour would be a rash decision - and the wrong one
    'I know how Ed feels as he is pummelled by David Cameron and ­undermined by Len McCluskey - but he shouldn't strike out wildly'

• Options
    Anthony Wells

ComRes have their monthly online poll for the Independent and Sunday Mirror out tonight. Topline figures are CON 28%(+2), LAB 36%(+1), LDEM 8%(-2), UKIP 18%(-1). The Labour lead of eight points is pretty much the same as we’ve been seeing in YouGov’s daily polls, but ComRes’s online polls still have UKIP up at around 18% (note the difference between ComRes’s telephone and online polls on the UKIP front).

ComRes also asked whether various politicians were doing well or badly in their current jobs. Unsurprisingly Boris Johnson came out a mile ahead, the only figure with a positive score (+25). David Cameron’s net score was minus 21, Ed Miliband minus 28, George Osborne minus 29, Ed Balls minus 28. Michael Gove was minus 30, Jeremy Hunt minus 26 (though in both cases around half of respondents said don’t know… realistically questions like this aren’t that much use when you get beyond the best known figures). The surprise hit was Theresa May, who enjoys a net score of only minus 4, in a job that’s normally a political minefield.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

surbiton said:

1 ) Broad is clever.

2 ) Clarke is stupid.

That's my reading.

Surbiton.

I have to congratulate you. You remembered what was being said on TMS . I heard that too.

Moniker

Just remember Clarke failed to walk in 2010 and he clearly KNEW he was out..

• Options
    Twitter
    Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 2m
    Hear a labour MP is in an bit a sticky wicket tomorrow.
  • Options
    Harry Cole @MrHarryCole
    Understand a secret recording has landed a red in hot water.

It appears to be a Labour MP.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013
    fitalass said:

Twitter

I'm sad to hear that , but shouldn't it be " on a sticky wicket " or " in a sticky situation " ?

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Look! A hedgehog that is too fat to roll into a ball.
    fitalass said:

Twitter

• Options
    James Tapsfield @JamesTapsfield
    IoS/Sunday Mirror poll finds only 26% think Andy Murray deserves a knighthood for winning wimbledon... 55% say he doesn't deserve one
  • Options

fitalass said:

Twitter

It is spherical enough without having to roll it into a ball ;)
  • Options
    Guido has some interesting government statements re Plain Fag packs.. Labour government that is.
  • Options
    Awwww

fitalass said:

Twitter

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Sedgemoor?
    Worcester?

Stamford Bridge, 1066?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,310
    edited July 2013
    Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Sedgemoor?
    Worcester?

@Charles

Sorry face-slap time - I meant Marston Moor!
    Also Naseby

"To be fair, apart from Sedgemoor, Hastings, Stamford Bridge and the various Jacobite incursions there aren't that many other battles on British soil..."
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    (I doubt anyone really has interest in the British vs. Saxon fights) could someone please explain exactly what those were? The term "British" didn't exist until James VI and I described himself as king of Great Britain in 1603 and politically it didn't exist until 1707. There was a collection of separate kingdoms in what is now England created after the Romans departed in the early 5th century.
  • Options

(I doubt anyone really has interest in the British vs. Saxon fights) could someone please explain exactly what those were? The term "British" didn't exist until James VI and I described himself as king of Great Britain in 1603 and politically it didn't exist until 1707. There was a collection of separate kingdoms in what is now England created after the Romans departed in the early 5th century.

The term British is sometimes used to describe the ancient Britons, at least according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britons_(Celtic_people)
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Sedgemoor?
    Worcester?

Stamford Bridge, 1066?

Had that one... unless Chelsea have had some fights I'm not aware of...

I forgot the English vs Welsh and English vs Scot fights though

Sunil - MM is Civil War as well.
  • Options
    George Eaton @georgeeaton
    Lib Dems on just 6% in Opinium/Observer poll. Joint lowest rating since 1989.
  • Options

I think Romano-British is a generally accepted collective description for the inhabitants who fought the Saxon incursions in the 5th/6th centuries
This discussion has been closed.