Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What Trump was Tweeting at WH2012 when it appeared for a time

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What Trump was Tweeting at WH2012 when it appeared for a time that Romney would win the popular vote but not the presidency

CNN

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First!
  • Options
    2nd like Trump
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    second like la Clinton.
  • Options
    I doubt we would have seen protests on the same scale, that's for sure!
  • Options

2nd like Trump

That's President-elect Trump to you :p
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    Lennon said:

Interesting blog by Ian Warren http://election-data.co.uk/how-do-you-feel-dont-ask on big data v emotional feelings.

In these terms Brexit was love EU v control; and governments historically have always blamed the EU rather than supported its strengths.

Thanks for highlighting that - it fits well with a lot of what Scott Adams was saying about Trump (and getting roundly derided for it).

There is something else as well which people don't seem to have quite recognised:

Everyone thought that in a social media age we would have a politics of 'truth' - where anything anyone says can be instantly fact checked and analysed, surely we would resort to voting on evidence and analysis right?

Wrong. What actually seems to happen is that in a social media age there is simply TOO MUCH information, and we cant' process it all and have no real means of filtering. How does your mind switch from a gif of a cat falling off a table, to a friends new baby, to a political statement - it has to work at the base level - that of emotion. The most effective political campaigns, and most widely shared 'memes' in social media are those that appeal to emotion.
    I have a theory that people are more ignorant, because people only follow things they like it becomes an echo chamber. Not just on twitter, but even silly things like Spotify and YouTube...I know I am really bad for not going out and checking out new acts, rather just firing up artists I like and occasionally taking a recommendation from Spotify, which of course is based upon my listening habits and thus is simply reinforcement of particular types of music I listen to a lot.
  • Options
    Will the man of principle Donald J Trump, stop the travesty of a President who 'lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election'?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928
    Michigan :
    http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/216553114-story

Trump wins, all votes counted just waiting a certification

"The results are in. Now the Board of Canvassers has 14 days to certify them. They’re also trying to find out what took so long for votes to be counted."

New Hampshire:

http://sos.nh.gov/2016PresGen.aspx

FINAL Clinton/Trump Nos in, Clinton wins by a slightly larger margin than the New York Times has her on.

Arizona:

God knows, its not even close.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Looking at Trump's potential cabinet, is really is a who's who of characters calculated to annoy the sh8t out of the Toynbee tendency.

Gingerich, Palin, Giuliani....

• Options
    RobD said:

2nd like Trump

That's President-elect Trump to you :p
    Just give me the facts ;-)
  • Options
    taffys said:

Looking at Trump's potential cabinet, is really is a who's who of characters calculated to annoy the sh8t out of the Toynbee tendency.

What job will his good friend Ben get ?
  • Options
    When is New Hampshire paying out then?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Michigan :

"The results are in. Now the Board of Canvassers has 14 days to certify them. They’re also trying to find out what took so long for votes to be counted."

New Hampshire:

FINAL Clinton/Trump Nos in, Clinton wins by a slightly larger margin than the New York Times has her on.

Arizona:

Tell Laddys to pay out!
  • Options

Should be soon, because the results are up on the .gov website.
  • Options
    Pretty irrelevant really. We know that Trump can say or do anything with utter disregard; moreover there's literally nothing he could say or do that his followers would not excuse or forgive. The man's invincible.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hopefully Betfair will settle the ECV market and turnout won't be too far behind too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    PlatoSaid said:

I didn't understand the whole meme before I immersed myself. Now I get it. Blacks aren't allowed to go off the Democrat plantation - they've got to stay on to be accepted. Go off, and you're a non-person/worse than a Whitey/Uncle Tom et al.

The more I've watched - the more revolting the mindset is of owning Black voters like slaves at the ballot box... We can see it in the faces of reporters when interviewing Black voters who voted for Trump 'how could you?!?!'

The wailing about voter id suppressing the minority vote is in a similar vein. This clip is quite revealing of certain attitudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBxZGWCdgs
  • Options

Pretty irrelevant really. We know that Trump can say or do anything with utter disregard; moreover there's literally nothing he could say or do that his followers would not excuse or forgive. The man's invincible.

Teflon Trump....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Michigan :

New Hampshire:

Arizona:

Tell Laddys to pay out!
    I'm -2k GOP/+288 DEM on Betfair at the moment there - I think it is soon to payout.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    From the previous thread - is Tulsi Gabbard eligible? Wiki says born in American Samoa, which obviously isn't a State.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    Off-topic:

Kate Bush has an album out on the 21st November, covering her live shows back in 2014.

http://www.katebush.com/

I know she one or two fans on here. ;)
  • Options

Teflon Trump....
    He never did try shooting someone on Fifth Avenue, did he?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hopefully Betfair will settle the ECV market and turnout won't be too far behind too.
    ECV is safe to lump on Trump 300-330, Clinton the respective band.

So is Clinton winning popular vote

Turnout I'm not sure where the ACTUAL winner is so the 1.05 available might not be a winner.
  • Options
    I'd love to hear the first conversation between Trump and Mexican pres. Nieto.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    If you missed it Ed Miliband was on TWAO.. He was a complete TWAT.. slagging off Trump with ludicrous fears. He should have advised Hilary on her election planning.. It would have worked well ;)

You only have to listen to Miliband to realise that UKPLC really dodged a bullet when Dave won GE 2015
  • Options
    taffys said:

Denis Rodman....ambassador to South Korea?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @taffys

'Looking at Trump's potential cabinet, is really is a who's who of characters calculated to annoy the sh8t out of the Toynbee tendency.

Gingerich, Palin, Giuliani....'

Still missing Farage.
  • Options

"Thanks for the meeting in September. You made me look so presidential."
  • Options

If you missed it Ed Miliband was on TWAO.. He was a complete TWAT.. slagging off Trump with ludicrous fears. He should have advised Hilary on her election planning.. It would have worked well ;)

You only have to listen to Miliband to realise that UKPLC really dodged a bullet when Dave won GE 2015

Makes a change from him making himself look like a twat over Brighthouse...
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Teflon Trump....
    He does have the advantage of having extremely low expectations from a large bulk of people!
  • Options
    Do we have a reliable estimate of turnout? I've see up 4.6%, down to almost 50%....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,089
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

I doubt we would have seen protests on the same scale, that's for sure!

Yep.
    Perhaps it would have been a bit more 'targeted', ifyouknoworrImean
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

He didn't advise her on election planning? She did pile up votes in places she didn't need them and throw away the key contests, including in 'safe' states, so she must have taken some inspiration from him.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

"Build the wall." "No." "BUILD THE F*CKIN' WALL!" "NO!"

• Options
    Another election, another polling inquiry !

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9777
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Teflon Trump....
    He does have the advantage of having extremely low expectations from a large bulk of people!
    Yes, the irony is all he has to do is not start WW3 and it'll make his presidency seem relatively successful...

Though if he is serious about some of his domestic economic policies and manages to get them through a sceptical Republican congress he could end up being fairly popular.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Another election, another polling inquiry !

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9777

More calls for inquiries than a Ed Miliband lead Labour Party...
  • Options
    glw said:

"Build the wall."
    "No."
    "BUILD THE F*CKIN' WALL!"
    "NO!"
    "You're fired!"
    "You really don't get democracy, do you, President Trump?"
  • Options

RobD said:

Teflon Trump....
    Yes, the irony is all he has to do is not start WW3 and it'll make his presidency seem relatively successful...

I will be very disappointed...I just spent all morning digging in the garden.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

1h
    Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict
    So far, Clinton margin fell 2.7% vs. Obama '12 in non-swing states & 5.2% in swing states. Final gap will be wider. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/edit#gid=19
  • Options

Trump's......er.....Trump card is remittances. Mexican Americans send USD25bn a year south, if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Trump's......er.....Trump card is remittances. Mexican Americans send USD25bn a year south, if I remember correctly.

The great Western Union tax incoming ?
  • Options

RobD said:

Teflon Trump....

I suspect it will be like Brexit in that regard: a few good economic indicators, which were the legacy of Osborne's stewardship anyway, and history has already declared it a triumphant success.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Pulpstar said:

taffys said:

The great Western Union tax incoming ?
    Buy Bitcoin in that case.
  • Options

RobD said:

Teflon Trump....

I suspect it will be like Brexit in that regard: a few good economic indicators, which were the legacy of Osborne's stewardship anyway, and history has already declared it a triumphant success.
    Although to be like Brexit they'll need to be declaring Trump's Presidency a success already in December.
  • Options
    Trump will build the wall, obviously Mexico isn't going to wire the funds directly for it.

Rubio and Cruz both supported a wall as well, and there exists a half baked one anyway. Netanyahu has shown that a wall is well possible too. I expect Trump to get along "the best" with Ben.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Trump will build the wall, obviously Mexico isn't going to wire the funds directly for it.

Rubio and Cruz both supported a wall as well, and there exists a half baked one anyway. Netanyahu has shown that a wall is well possible too. I expect Trump to get along "the best" with Ben.

The other obvious approach is he just puts tolls for those coming from Mexico. Now that obviously affects lots of Americans, but also American companies importing to US...double win for his agenda (if not the best economic thing to do).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Isn't that normal? Would be surprised if our Embassy hand't also reached out to both teams.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There's not going to be a wall like the one people picture, it would far exceed the US's infrastructure capability, that's assuming to other infrastructure projects.

It will probably be more money for the broader patrols, new sections in one or two headline places, tougher rhetoric (and no route to citizenship).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    A LibDem style chart...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Joe takes no prisoners and Mika looks as uncomfortable as ever - she's been such a good yardstick for the unhappy Hillary supporter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lWZ7CsXu0
  • Options
    ''The great Western Union tax incoming ? ''

Maybe I once heard Obama saying trying to tax this stuff was more trouble than it was worth and he's probably right.

But I suppose the threat of trying might be enough.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Pulpstar said:

There's not going to be a wall like the one people picture, it would far exceed the US's infrastructure capability, that's assuming to other infrastructure projects.

It will probably be more money for the broader patrols, new sections in one or two headline places, tougher rhetoric (and no route to citizenship).
    There is already a fence along a significant proportion...he could fill in the rest with a "wall" as stage 1 and then still be able to claim he built his wall.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The other obvious approach is he just puts tolls for those coming from Mexico. Now that obviously affects lots of Americans, but also American companies importing to US...double win for his agenda.
    Or given the votes on cannabis in several states, do a trade deal to tax the drugs coming over (and under) the border.
  • Options
    Some lovely analysis maps at Washington Post:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-maps-out-a-new-administration-to-bring-a-seismic-shift-to-washington/2016/11/09/8bb6629e-a6a6-11e6-8fc0-7be8f848c492_story.html
    Clinton lost because she lost Obama votes not Trump gaining Romney ones. She held the urban vote. She collapsed in the rural counties. The deplorables.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I want to see what Trump's NASA plans are, wouldn't like to be in their earth climate monitoring department right now though !

The Space Launch System will now be cancelled, was never going to happen anyway.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    nunu said:

1h
    Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict
    So far, Clinton margin fell 2.7% vs. Obama '12 in non-swing states & 5.2% in swing states. Final gap will be wider. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/edit#gid=19

That's a very interesting spreadsheet.

The idea that Trump didn't bring in new voters is probably not true, going by those results.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I want to see what Trump's NASA plans are, wouldn't like to be in their earth climate monitoring department right now though !

More likely to go back to the Moon / to Mars than Clinton.
  • Options
    The pound's a bit better against the Euro today.

I guess the latter's where the spotlight is going next viz -viz elections
  • Options
    taffys said:

Palin? Says who? No way.

I expect KellyAnne Conway to get a serious role. First woman to lead a winning POTUS campaign.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Pulpstar said:

The other obvious approach is he just puts tolls for those coming from Mexico. Now that obviously affects lots of Americans, but also American companies importing to US...double win for his agenda.
    Or given the votes on cannabis in several states, do a trade deal to tax the drugs coming over (and under) the border.
    So far in places like Colorado, the weed has to be grown in the state and under pretty strict regulations.
  • Options
    Ian Warren aka Election Data has been pondering polling misses:

http://election-data.co.uk/how-do-you-feel-dont-ask

NB This piece includes some profanity that is artistically necessary.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The pound's a bit better against the Euro today.

I guess the latter's where the spotlight is going next viz -viz elections

It's also because Trump is favourable to Brexit and unfavourable to the EU, especially if European nations need to find €115bn per year for additional NATO funding.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think thats correct, Trump's a showman - he'd love to do something like that on his watch.

"Earth sciences/Climatology" is going to be utterly demolished though.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I expect KellyAnne Conway to get a serious role. First woman to lead a winning POTUS campaign.

She'll have lucrative offers coming in from all over the world after her performance for Trump.
  • Options
    ''It's also because Trump is favourable to Brexit and unfavourable to the EU, especially if European nations need to find €115bn per year for additional NATO funding. ''

Does Trump's victory strengthen Theresa May's hand in Europe? That might make an interesting thread.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''It's also because Trump is favourable to Brexit and unfavourable to the EU, especially if European nations need to find €115bn per year for additional NATO funding. ''

Does Trump's victory strengthen Theresa May's hand in Europe? That might make an interesting thread.

I had been pondering just such a thread. Summary: it's complicated.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

All sorts of jokes going around the web on the 'what do you say to a climate scientist - big mac and fries please' front

BUt there's a serious point here. How much will Trump flay the 'worthy' economy that sucks billions out of the US tax payer. And could a conservative government here copy it?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think thats correct, Trump's a showman - he'd love to do something like that on his watch.

Mr Paddy Power, if you are reading, give us some odds?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Joe takes no prisoners and Mika looks as uncomfortable as ever - she's been such a good yardstick for the unhappy Hillary supporter.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lWZ7CsXu0

I think this is the article they are talking about in the NYT:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/business/media/news-outlets-wonder-where-the-predictions-went-wrong.html

Great clip though.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

"The editors of the NYT don't get it"...now whose that bloke in charge over there...Mark...Mark...Thompson...oh yeah.
  • Options
    Maybe we can do a thread about the absurd things said about Trump?

I've heard him criticised for 'never standing for any public office before'. I've no idea why that should be a negative.

It does rather re-enforce the unattractive 'specialness' that pro-politicains feel about themselves. And probably contributed to his winning...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Space Launch System will now be cancelled, was never going to happen anyway.

Don't know if you've seen this:
    http://spacenews.com/what-a-trump-administration-means-for-space/

Sadly, SLS should probably be scrapped. Even if they build it, NASA could only afford to launch it twice a year anyway. The money could be much better used.

Also: it looks like SpaceX will be returning to flight in mid-December. Let's hope they've stopped their rockets self-combusting...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Paddys have a market on this - you can bet on Trump having built a wall along the length of the US-Mexican border by 2020 @4/1.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Not easy to say, on balance I'd go with no, since Brexit and Trump may be seen as the same phenomenon and the EUcrats are scared shitless of a populist uprising which could see them running from a mob who want to hang them from lamp posts.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Yup - that's what's apparently proposed.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    That spreadsheet is very interesting

You know how we all thought Virginia was looking harder for Clinton on the night than it should have done.

Well in the end it actually swung TOWARDS her.

That indicates a widening rural/urban divide in voting loyalties within the USA.

Also Florida.

For an operation with supposedly no ground game, the pan handle GOP certainly knew it was crucial for them to get out and vote.
  • Options

Love to have heard, surely?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Pulpstar said:

Paddys have a market on this - you can bet on Trump having built a wall along the length of the US-Mexican border by 2020 @4/1.
    I'd happily take 1/4 if it were not for tying the money up.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sadly, SLS should probably be scrapped. Even if they build it, NASA could only afford to launch it twice a year anyway. The money could be much better used.

Also: it looks like SpaceX will be returning to flight in mid-December. Let's hope they've stopped their rockets self-combusting...
    Well at least the House, Congress and the presidency are all on the same side - so hopefully SOMETHING will be done.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @iainjwatson: Theresa May will talk to Donald Trump later today says Philip Hammond

@BBCNormanS: The Govt has no "urgent business" to discuss with President Trump says Chancellor Philip Hammond

Back of the queue...
  • Options

Essexit said:

Pulpstar said:

You mean 4/1? And from what you said the chance of a wall being built along the whole border sounds like less than 20%.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

"7. Hand over access to and operations in low Earth orbit to the commercial sector."

That could be far bigger than one sentence suggests.
  • Options
    taffys said:

All sorts of jokes going around the web on the 'what do you say to a climate scientist - big mac and fries please' front

BUt there's a serious point here. How much will Trump flay the 'worthy' economy that sucks billions out of the US tax payer. And could a conservative government here copy it?

An anti-science stance will end up costing more.
  • Options
    Not easy to say, on balance I'd go with no, since Brexit and Trump may be seen as the same phenomenon and the EUcrats are scared shitless of a populist uprising which could see them running from a mob who want to hang them from lamp posts.

I'd say strategically its helped May. Britain's troops, planes, subs and soon to be carriers must look pretty nice right now. Not a country you would want to 'punish'
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    Doesn’t the President elect, meet the outgoing President today?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Pulpstar said:

You mean 4/1? And from what you said the chance of a wall being built along the whole border sounds like less than 20%.
    Big infrastructure projects can take a while,

I remember the West Coast Mainline upgrades. Mind you he'll have more of a wall up than Heathrow will be built..
  • Options

In an hour.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainjwatson: Theresa May will talk to Donald Trump later today says Philip Hammond

@BBCNormanS: The Govt has no "urgent business" to discuss with President Trump says Chancellor Philip Hammond

Back of the queue...

A snub, or more evidence Trump doesn't play by the normal/expected rules?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The only chance of that is if we get into a space race there with China (*). Otherwise: no.

Even then, it might be a very different sort of program to Apollo or the Shuttle. In those, NASA led a series of subcontractors to make different parts of the rockets and systems, controlling them rigorously. NASA needs to move to a model where they leave much more up to the subbies - e.g. SpaceX or Blue Origin. NASA should act as a verification, future research and specialist payload provider.

(*) For the purposes of this discussion, the Russians can be discounted.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

"The editors of the NYT don't get it"...now whose that bloke in charge over there...Mark...Mark...Thompson...oh yeah.
    Turned the NYT into the American Guardian. Hopefully he'll be on his way out and the NYT will dump the PC shit and get back to real journalism.
  • Options
    That Morning Joe clip is great.

In a funny way I think Trump's absolute contempt for the media actually contributed to the poor job they did in covering the election. They were so keen to retaliate by painting him as a loser and instead they painted themselves into a corner where they were cut off from their audience.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The only chance of that is if we get into a space race there with China (*). Otherwise: no.

Even then, it might be a very different sort of program to Apollo or the Shuttle. In those, NASA led a series of subcontractors to make different parts of the rockets and systems, controlling them rigorously. NASA needs to move to a model where they leave much more up to the subbies - e.g. SpaceX or Blue Origin. NASA should act as a verification, future research and specialist payload provider.

(*) For the purposes of this discussion, the Russians can be discounted.
    ** China is now to be known Vchhhhhinaaaa....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Pulpstar said:

Big infrastructure projects can take a while,

I remember the West Coast Mainline upgrades. Mind you he'll have more of a wall up than Heathrow will be built..
    I mean, I'd take 1/4 on it NOT happening in that timeframe, or indeed at all.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    taffys said:

How much do American companies based in Mexico send north?
  • Options
    RobD said:

In an hour.
    Wonder if he'll mention the roasting 4 years ago.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

That spreadsheet is very interesting

You know how we all thought Virginia was looking harder for Clinton on the night than it should have done.

Well in the end it actually swung TOWARDS her.

That indicates a widening rural/urban divide in voting loyalties within the USA.

Also Florida.

For an operation with supposedly no ground game, the pan handle GOP certainly knew it was crucial for them to get out and vote.

Spot on about Virginia, I was shocked to find out that it swung towards the Dems.
This discussion has been closed.