Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trying to make sense of Tuesday’s dramatic result

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trying to make sense of Tuesday’s dramatic result

This piece is going to have a lot more questions than answers in it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
    Second ?
  • Options
    Excellent thread Corporeal, as are the other two.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    They've figured out "identity politics".... The Clintons have reaped what they sowed....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Clinton lost it more than Trump won it IMO.

In short, she was not Obama. Very few people are.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    FPT Jonathan

"How anyone can call an election two years away when barely anyone could call this weeks election on the night is beyond me.

In two years a lot could happen. We just don't know how it will play"

That's true, but in the five States I mentioned, the Republican margins of victory are now enormous.
  • Options
    The young and old inverting the roles of 'conservative' gatekeeper of the orthodoxy and rebel is an interesting note (and a key similarity with our vote to leave the EU).
  • Options

The young and old inverting the roles of 'conservative' gatekeeper of the orthodoxy and rebel is an interesting note (and a key similarity with our vote to leave the EU).

Though in France and Austria, it's young people who are most keen on FN and FPO.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016
    Brexit snippet from May/Orban talks:

"We had agreed that the situation of Hungarians already working in the UK today cannot worsen in the future, as long as the situation of Brits working in Hungary won't deteriorate either," Orban said in an interview on Kossuth radio.

"The debate will be about whether those, who would want to move to the UK in the future, will be able to go there or not."
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sean_F said:

FPT Jonathan

"How anyone can call an election two years away when barely anyone could call this weeks election on the night is beyond me.

That's true, but in the five States I mentioned, the Republican margins of victory are now enormous.

Yes, I do not see how the Dems, historically terrible at mid term elections (2006 is their only decent outing in forever) can possibly hope to hold onto the Obama boosted 2012 class of Senators.

Trump and the Republicans would have to screw un immensely in only a year and half.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Nigelb said:

Second ?

Believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

She didn't need to be Obama; being Joe Biden would have done just fine.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Excellent thread, corporeal. Lines up exactly with my own thoughts as well if the white working class are going to start voting as a bloc like other minorities the Dems will have a lot of trouble to hold their coalition together.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

FPT Jonathan

Yes, I do not see how the Dems, historically terrible at mid term elections (2006 is their only decent outing in forever) can possibly hope to hold onto the Obama boosted 2012 class of Senators.

Trump and the Republicans would have to screw un immensely in only a year and half.
    Bill Clinton managed it in 1994.

54 losses in the House, 8 losses in the Senate, and 10 gubernatorial losses.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Dan Hannan 'The oddest thing I have discovered while in Greece: Alexis Tsipras sends his kinds to one of the best private schools in the country.'

Not odd at all - leftie hypocrisy knows no borders.
  • Options
    Mr. F, interesting. I was unaware of that.

I would've guessed either no age difference or the old guard (as it were) being more likely to turn Le Pen's way. Maybe the critical factor is the wartime status of the Baby Boomer generation? The US and UK were never conquered. Perhaps those who were defeated (and their children) are more like to be pro-EU, pro-multi-culturalism/more fearful of emphasising their own country's interest over others.

Watching how sentiment in Germany develops will be fascinating.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, but is it Logopolis of Pathopolis?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT Jonathan

To gain control of the Senate, the Democrats (and their caucused allies) need to win 27 of the 33 states up in 2018. Compare that with the 20 out of all 50 that Hillary won on Tuesday.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

FPT Jonathan

I believe the average loss of seats in midterm elections for the House of Reps by the incumbent president's party is 29
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FPT Jonathan

To gain control of the Senate, the Democrats (and their caucused allies) need to win 27 of the 33 states up in 2018. Compare that with the 20 out of all 50 that Hillary won on Tuesday.
    Difficult in normal times.

These are not normal times.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    If I had to guess I'd go Dem House, GOP Senate for 2018 right now.
  • Options
    Cheers Corporeal. The 'missing Democrats’ and their demographic make-up will no doubt be poured over for many months to come, but I suspect it will all boil down to the Democrat candidate being too unpalatable for them to vote for .
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2016
    Good piece. Yes, it's about race and identity politics. The pushback was predicted by some, even as others were predicting the demographic doom of the Republicans.

Sean Trende of RCP permitted himself a tweetstorm of his prescient articles over the last 7(!) years, and why not? His clear-sighted analysis has been spectacularly vindicated:
    https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/796826489094373376
    [click through to Twitter to find all the links]
  • Options
    Time to regenerate.
  • Options

Kudos to Paddy Power. I lost a betting slip on Trump, but they have a record of my card payment, so they paid out anyway.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Excellent thread, corporeal. Lines up exactly with my own thoughts as well if the white working class are going to start voting as a bloc like other minorities the Dems will have a lot of trouble to hold their coalition together.

If your thoughts line up with how my over-caffeinated mind works at 3am you might want to worry.
  • Options

Good piece. Yes, it's about race and identity politics. The pushback was predicted by some, even as others were predicting the demographic doom of the Republicans.

Sean Trende of RCP permitted himself a tweetstorm of his prescient articles over the last 7(!) years, and why not? His clear-sighted analysis has been spectacularly vindicated:
    https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/796826489094373376
    [click through to Twitter to find all the links]

For the record I mentioned Trende in my next piece before this comment. *genuinely innocent face*
  • Options

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

FPT Jonathan

Bill Clinton got elected by tacking to the middle [the first true triumph of focus groups] and then proceeded to govern as a conventional Democrat (partly because the deficit he inherited was worse than had been thought). The swing voters were furious at the tax increases involved.

Not sure if or how the parallel can be drawn with Trump. We still don't really know what his monetary & fiscal policy will look like.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    Pie thinks Sanders would have beaten Trump.

No, no, no.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Though in France and Austria, it's young people who are most keen on FN and FPO.
    Really? I find that astonishing.

Any evidence for that?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Sean_F said:

The FN has also absorbed a lot of former communist party voters as members, giving them a much more authentic economic left wing argument than other populist parties like UKIP. Likely part of why they have attracted more younger people.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Obama has obviously heard of Trump's reputation of making a lunge for the genitals, and is on guard, just in case....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

FPT Jonathan

Yes but Bill is a Democrat. Midterms favour the Republicans whose base is more likely to vote. That's why this election was such a shock, Republicans aren't supposed to do well down-ticket in a presidential election year.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

MaxPB said:

If your thoughts line up with how my over-caffeinated mind works at 3am you might want to worry.
    Lol, I think I came up with the theory at around the same time!
  • Options

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

FPT Jonathan

Because the Dems are horrible at mid-term elections! 1996 was barely any better.
  • Options
    matt said:

Mr. D, really?

I did not know that.

That said, I'm unlikely to get Mass Effect Andromeda. Leaving aside I dislike Bioware's approach to DLC, one of the chaps working on the game, Manveer Heir, has posted less than lovely things about white people. I don't especially feel like throwing my money towards a firm that tolerates that sort of bullshit.

More fool you. Bioware have produced the genre defining RPGs of the last 20 years. Planescape Torment (indirectly), Baldur's Gate 2, Mass Effect, KOTOR. DLC is unavoidable.
    The best way to avoid DLC is to get GOTY editions. I did that for The Witcher 3 and don't regret it. You get a fully patched game with all the DLC for a discount, the only downside is waiting for 6-9 months.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited November 2016
    LOL @ the photo of the "random" woman posing with Clinton in the woods being staged. A fraud to the very end.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Nigelb said:

Second ?

Believe in yourself.
    I was going to add... like Farage and Trump at two minutes to midnight, but work intervened and the edit period expired.

But yes, I'll take that advice thanks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Dems got 1.4 million more votes than the Republicans in 2012 Congressional elections and ended with 33 fewer Congress Critters.

The Districts lines are against them. Look at, for example, North Carolina in 2012

Dems Votes: 2,218,357
    Reps Votes: 2,137,167

Dem Seats: 4
    Rep Seat: 9

It would take a miracle for the Dems to take the House.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, a fair point. If there is a GOTY edition [but even if not, the base price will fall a lot over time].
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    MP_SE said:

LOL @ the photo of the "random" woman posing with Clinton in the woods being staged. A fraud to the very end.

I thought it truly amazing, what are the chances of two women who live in the same small town and who have met before, bumping into each other, again?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

The Dems got 1.4 million more votes than the Republicans in 2012 Congressional elections and ended with 33 fewer Congress Critters.

The Districts lines are against them. Look at, for example, North Carolina in 2012

Thanks goodness we haven't let the politicians take charge of the boundaries here.

Oh:...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks goodness we haven't let the politicians take charge of the boundaries here.

They aren't in charge of the boundaries, they are only in charge of the number of seats.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

We haven't.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Really? I find that astonishing.

Any evidence for that?
    Polling evidence supports it. Older people generally support more orthodox centre right parties.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-11-10/trump-era-will-be-great-for-the-democratic-party
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    OT: is there any news of what's happening in the Richmond b/e?
  • Options
    Some evidence that it was a pocketbook election:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/11/how-obamacare-helped-trump/507113/
    According to ABC, 81 percent of Trump voters think Obamacare “went too far, and half of Clinton voters think it didn’t go far enough.” Likewise, NBC reported that voters who think Obamacare went too far “are breaking decisively for Trump, 80 percent to 13 percent.”

While for others it wasn't:
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/learning-trump-won-in-west-virginia

Given how close (relatively) the vote, I think the 'authenticity' of the candidates angle has some merit. Certainly Clinton is seriously deficient in charisma. Trump might be more divisive than any candidate in recent memory, but you can't accuse him of charisma deficiency. That it has no appeal at all to me is irrelevant.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Jonathan said:

Trump offered hope and change - just like Obama.

Clinton offered safe pair of hands and more of the same.

Hope and change beats safe pair of hands and status quo.

Authenticity and oratory beats policies and professionalism.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

No, we really haven't. The boundary commission is genuinely independent. The political parties have various levels of success in making representations to the process to advance their own favoured outcomes, but these are generally fairly marginal.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Corporeal - Thank you for writing the article.

I love reading post-election analysis particularly after an unexpected result (of which there has been many lately).
  • Options
    CNN have been making the point that the fall in the AA vote in MI, PA and WI was greater than Trump's winning margin in those states. Flip those and she will win. Apologies if other had already posted this.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

Well, hope and change certainly beat safe pair of hands and more of the same for people whose situation is getting worse - though there's a case to be made that the situation for the Trump-voting sections of the population was finally starting to improve. cf the 1997 UK General Election. It takes some time after a downturn - three years? five years? - maybe depends on the length of time for which things were getting worse - for consistent material improvement in circumstances to filter through to a feeling of 'you know what, this lot are doing ok, let's stick with them.'
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

As you pointed out earlier , the last time the Dems made sweeping gains in mid term was 2006 which was of course the last time mid terms were fought under a Republican president .
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    felix said:

Many hundreds of enthusiastic LibDem volunteers flooding the place. Posters and stake boards springing up everywhere. Lots of positive anecdotes from doorsteps and on the streets. But will it be enough? I really don't know. A popular incumbent with a 23,000 majority is a helluva mountain to climb! I still reckon it is about a 35% chance.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Corporeal - Thank you for writing the article.

I love reading post-election analysis particularly after an unexpected result (of which there has been many lately).

I've been on a glut of podcasts ever since. (The finest of course is Polling Matters, but The Run Up, and The Pollsters are both good listens).
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729

CNN have been making the point that the fall in the AA vote in MI, PA and WI was greater than Trump's winning margin in those states. Flip those and she will win. Apologies if other had already posted this.

I've seen it said that if Michigan's Upper Penisula was part of Wisconsin, and the Florida Panhandle was part of Lousiana/Georgia - then Clinton would have won. Obviously you can have any number of "what if's" - but interesting nonetheless.
  • Options

Interesting, as there was a brief, almost unnoticed by the media, period when Trump attempted to suppress the black vote for Clinton by saying something along the lines of - 'they have done f-all for you for decades. Just look at the sh****** you live in.'

Maybe it worked.
  • Options

Are they also making the point that Clinton gave them no reason to vote for her in those states?
  • Options
    This is certainly a plausible theory.

My concern at present is that we are getting a lot of plausible theories why a candidate who no one expected was going to win at the beginning of the week won. Some of them might even be right.

This is not the first time we've been in this position. Brexit and the 2015 general election come in the same category. Yet we're being surprised all over again.

So I intend spending a little while on receive mode rather than transmit mode so far as causes are concerned.
  • Options

Sounds like Philly and Detroit just weren't so enthusiatic for Hillary.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

felix said:

Many hundreds of enthusiastic LibDem volunteers flooding the place. Posters and stake boards springing up everywhere. Lots of positive anecdotes from doorsteps and on the streets. But will it be enough? I really don't know. A popular incumbent with a 23,000 majority is a helluva mountain to climb! I still reckon it is about a 35% chance.
    I'm thinking lots =/= 11,500....
  • Options

Interesting, as there was a brief, almost unnoticed by the media, period when Trump attempted to suppress the black vote for Clinton by saying something along the lines of - 'they have done f-all for you for decades. Just look at the sh****** you live in.'

Maybe it worked.
    I remember writing about that and getting told I was an idiot by a certain JackW.
  • Options

Maybe it worked.
    Indeed. Iirc the AA vote in Detroit was down 78k and Trump won the state by c 12k.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    RobD said:

They aren't in charge of the boundaries, they are only in charge of the number of seats.
    And fixing which outdated registers are to be used as the basis for calculating the electorate.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2016
    There is so much sensible about Corporeal's article but why oh why do they have to say..
    "Some of Donald Trump’s supporters are openly sexist, some of them are blatantly racist, some have a more general sense of discomfort that the country they thought they knew looks and sounds a lot different than it did when they were growing up." Accurate even if that some is only 0.001%, since it is still "some" and the majority are thus smeared and denigrated by these few….

In comparison, and to provide the missing balance, it would also be accurate to say that "Some of Hillary Clinton’s supporters are full of misandry, some of them are allergic to soap, some despise the institution of marriage, some spent their time disrupting Trump's meetings and did not respect his right to speech, some have a more general sense of hatred towards America and wish to pardon criminals early, allow murderers to avoid the death penalty and only serve 5 years in jail and think Venezuela is the right way to run a country….. "

Of course I would not have had to say that if the smearing had not featured in the article.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.
    I remember writing about that and getting told I was an idiot by a certain JackW.
    JackW didn't have a great war.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

matt said:

Mr. D, really?

I did not know that.

That said, I'm unlikely to get Mass Effect Andromeda. Leaving aside I dislike Bioware's approach to DLC, one of the chaps working on the game, Manveer Heir, has posted less than lovely things about white people. I don't especially feel like throwing my money towards a firm that tolerates that sort of bullshit.

More fool you. Bioware have produced the genre defining RPGs of the last 20 years. Planescape Torment (indirectly), Baldur's Gate 2, Mass Effect, KOTOR. DLC is unavoidable.
    The best way to avoid DLC is to get GOTY editions. I did that for The Witcher 3 and don't regret it. You get a fully patched game with all the DLC for a discount, the only downside is waiting for 6-9 months.
    6-9 month if the game doesn't sell. Compare Fallout 4 (none) or Dragon Age Inquisition, perhaps 2 years.
  • Options

Are they also making the point that Clinton gave them no reason to vote for her in those states?
    Not that I heard.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't know if anyone's posted this, but this, despite the title, is a thoughtful piece about why people voted for Trump. Written by a Dem voter but one who is sympathetic to the republican voters in the red state small town he comes from: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/
  • Options
    As a further thought. Perhaps the real reason Clinton's side lost was her attitude as exemplified by Corporeal's smearing towards ordinary working americans?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.
    He got the "FOP" concept right :D

The pollsters didn't though.

Bloody hell, those were all polled atrociously - particularly Ohio and PA. Utterly, utterly shit.

All the pollsters and media organisations need to do next time is just head to Pennsylvania anyway. Much more crucial than the national picture (It is the swing state again, and will be correlated with the rest of the rust belt).
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

No, we really haven't. The boundary commission is genuinely independent. The political parties have various levels of success in making representations to the process to advance their own favoured outcomes, but these are generally fairly marginal.
    The Americans can do it right:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Citizens_Redistricting_Commission

It's just not easy passing that kind of reform when it's not in the interest of those in power.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited November 2016
    I see Trump is 3.45 on Betfair for 2020.

Since WW2 every single President has run for re-election and they have won 8 out of 11 times. On that basis, he should be heavy odds on.

Johnson and Ford were obviously different in that they weren't originally elected President and were running after partial terms - if we exclude them then Presidents running for re-election have won 7 out of 9 times (the only two losers being Carter and Bush Snr).

So why are Trump's odds so long? Presumably two reasons:

1) He may not run - he'll be 74. And will he actually enjoy being President anyway?

2) The map looks good for the Democrats in the sense that if they can recover previously safe states (ie PA, MI, WI) then they win. FL, NC and OH don't really matter - win PA, MI, WI and focus on defending CO, NV, NH.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.

Bloody hell, those were all polled atrociously - particularly Ohio and PA. Utterly, utterly shit.

All the pollsters and media organisations need to do next time is just head to Pennsylvania anyway. Much more crucial than the national picture (It is the swing state again, and will be correlated with the rest of the rust belt).
    You can either believe the polling or not. What you can't do is cherry pick the polling to support a non-polling based argument.

JackW's campaign was fine. The ammunition he was supplied with was boobytrapped.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.

You can either believe the polling or not. What you can't do is cherry pick the polling to support a non-polling based argument.

JackW's campaign was fine. The ammunition he was supplied with was boobytrapped.
    Yep, there's only so much you can do if you have crappy polls!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Barnesian said:

felix said:

One thing I am surprised the LDs are not better at is expectation management.

*innocent face*
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.

But as it turned out, Trump could have lost any one of FOP and still have won. JackW claimed he could only win if he got all 3.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016
    Cookie said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

Well, hope and change certainly beat safe pair of hands and more of the same for people whose situation is getting worse - though there's a case to be made that the situation for the Trump-voting sections of the population was finally starting to improve. cf the 1997 UK General Election. It takes some time after a downturn - three years? five years? - maybe depends on the length of time for which things were getting worse - for consistent material improvement in circumstances to filter through to a feeling of 'you know what, this lot are doing ok, let's stick with them.'
    The downturn is perceived as social and cultural as much as economic.

The public have rejected the notion that all cultures are equal. They do that not on the basis of colour or sexuality, but on the basis of experience.

The left seem to be struggling enormously with understanding this and resolutely play three wise monkeys regarding minorities and the average Joe just regards them with disdain as a consequence.

The Democrats, like UK Labour, have gotten themselves into hock to minority interests, to such an extent that some truly inexcusable behaviours are excused.

A general sense exists that there are a set of people on the left who will froth at length about Trump's words, who will then seek to excuse terrorist atrocities etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.

But as it turned out, Trump could have lost any one of FOP and still have won. JackW claimed he could only win if he got all 3.
    Yes - but the answer to that is that he wouldn't have won MI and WI if he hadn't won PA.

So effectively he did need PA.
  • Options

There is so much sensible about Corporeal's article but why oh why do they have to say..
    "Some of Donald Trump’s supporters are openly sexist, some of them are blatantly racist, some have a more general sense of discomfort that the country they thought they knew looks and sounds a lot different than it did when they were growing up." Accurate even if that some is only 0.001%, since it is still "some" and the majority are thus smeared and denigrated by these few….

In comparison, and to provide the missing balance, it would also be accurate to say that "Some of Hillary Clinton’s supporters are full of misandry, some of them are allergic to soap, some despise the institution of marriage, some spent their time disrupting Trump's meetings and did not respect his right to speech, some have a more general sense of hatred towards America and wish to pardon criminals early, allow murderers to avoid the death penalty and only serve 5 years in jail and think Venezuela is the right way to run a country….. "

Of course I would not have had to say that if the smearing had not featured in the article.

Have you some evidence on that 0.001% figure, or did it helpfully fall from the skies to support your narrative?
  • Options

Have you some evidence on that 0.001% figure, or did it helpfully fall from the skies to support your narrative?
    Does it need to have evidence, as it was "even if that some is only 0.001%"?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Cookie said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

The downturn is perceived as social and cultural as much as economic.

The public have rejected the notion that all cultures are equal. They do that not on the basis of colour or sexuality, but on the basis of experience.

The left seem to be struggling enormously with understanding this and resolutely play three wise monkeys regarding minorities and the average Joe just regards them with disdain as a consequence.

The Democrats, like UK Labour, have gotten themselves into hock to minority interests, to such an extent that some truly inexcusable behaviours are excused.

A general sense exists that there are a set of people on the left who will froth at length about Trump's words, who will then seek to excuse terrorist atrocities etc.

Yes, don't disagree with that.
    Still, I think social and cultural decline is a lot easier to tolerate if it goes with economic growth. When both are perceived to be declining - as is the case across many of the red counties - you have a problem.
  • Options
    For me the question isn't about those who voted but about those who didn't vote. Why they didn't turn out is vital for predicting how future election may or may not go.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If someone is whining about the use of the word 'some', they should probably hesitate before throwing out made up numbers.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe it worked.

My confidence was based on the Pennsylvania polling. Which was diabolical.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Maybe it worked.
    Maybe he went so negative that young voters who the Dems need to win and preferred Bernie anyway stayed at home.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes - but the answer to that is that he wouldn't have won MI and WI if he hadn't won PA.

Looking at the results as they stand, he could have lost Florida and won the rest on a universal swing against him. I think.
  • Options

RobD said:

If someone is whining about the use of the word 'some', they should probably hesitate before throwing out made up numbers.
    I thought it was used to make a point - even if it was only a very small number etc.
  • Options

As a further thought. Perhaps the real reason Clinton's side lost was her attitude as exemplified by Corporeal's smearing towards ordinary working americans?

You rather have the wrong end of the stick TC, at least of what I was trying to do.

I was trying to compartmentalise and distinguish between Trump's supporters and their reasons (prejudice, gun control, abortion etc) with the 'some are this, some are that, etc'. Then push towards the insurgency and elites thing as the primary narrative that swung the election. It was a paragraph of splitting apart rather than lumping together.

It was a response against the reaction of "racism/sexism won" that was the immediate reaction in some quarters and an attempt to acknowledge that it exists in some groups but that it wasn't the most important thing at work.

I guess that wasn't as clear as I thought.
  • Options
    YDGYDG Posts: 7

"Clinton lost because she couldn’t get a lot of Obama voters to turnout for her, "

I've heard this surprisingly often, considering how recent the election was. However it isn't very plausible. I assume it's popular with the losers because it's more reassuring than the alternatives.

Keiran Pedley posted an article here yesterday showing that Romney (2012 )and Trump (2016) received about the same number of votes, while Clinton (2016) received 6 million fewer than Obama (2012). Phew. So a bunch of Democrats stayed home. Case closed.

Except this completely ignores the fact that the GOP establishment disowned Trump and in many cases worked against him. The "conservative" commentariat were almost all loudly ranged against him. By contrast, those same people had energetically campaigned for Mitt Romney. To believe the "6 million Democrat voters stayed home" story, you must also believe that the Republican establishment and commentariat is utterly, totally and completely ineffectual. That either support or condemnation from Ryan, McCain, Romney and all the rest had no more influence on the election than me making a speech to my cat.

A far more credible explanation for Kieran's figures is that ...
    a) Official Republican opposition cost Trump some votes - probably a few million
    b) Clinton being a disastrous candidate caused some Democrats to stay at home - probably a few million
    c) Trump's skills as a campaigner and his appeal as a candidate drew in enough extra votes - quite likely former Democrats - to erase the effect of a).

You can see why the establishment would hate that version - it implies that there are millions of Republican votes still available if the party hierarchy just stops opposing it's own candidate.

• Options
    corporeal said:

You were perfectly clear.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    tlg86 said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

Looking at the results as they stand, he could have lost Florida and won the rest on a universal swing against him. I think.
    Yes - apologies - you are absolutely correct - he could have lost Florida.

Which would, in retrospect, have been more plausible if it's assumed that PA, MI and WI all move "together".
  • Options

corporeal said:

You were perfectly clear.
    *Temporarily removes self-imposed prohibition*

Indeed.

*Restores self-imposed prohibition*
  • Options
    MikeL said:

tlg86 said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes - apologies - you are absolutely correct - he could have lost Florida.

Which would, in retrospect, have been more plausible if it's assumed that PA, MI and WI all move "together".
    PA and MI surely do - you have essentially two basically rural white states each with a large city that has a large black population that makes the maps always look like big GOP victories even when the Democrats have won due to the massive Dem margins in Philly and Detroit.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    When Obama took office in 2008, Democrats controlled 29 state governorships, both the US House and US Senate and the WH.

Today they control 15 governorships and 30 of 99 state legislative assemblies, and have lost the House, Senate and WH.

Obama was a unique combination of being very popular personally, but 3/4 of Americans felt he was leading the country in the wrong direction. Since 2008 the three elections where he was not on the ticket have all been repudiations of Obama's policies.

Several articles in magazines of all shades of opinion have this week described the Democratic party as a smoking heap of rubble. That's obvious hyperbole, but the party seems to have lost its way in the post-Obama world, as Obama dragged them way leftwards compared to the country as a whole.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Having looked at the list of Democrat senators and governors it is difficult to see an obvious candidate from a swing state who could add to the ticket. The high profile/good back story candidates seem to be in safe seats( in general elections terms). Perhaps there is a Matt Santos candidate lurking in the House? I'll check this out.
This discussion has been closed.